Angoor Ka Daana: o saathii re din Duube naa

Vinay

Jul 10, 2006, 1:54:32 PM7/10/06
I will say it. Vishal should not sing his songs. I don't think he does
even half the justice to the song that it deserves. There's no point in
making something beautiful and then ruin it yourself.

Yes, I think Vishal's singing is the lowest point of the song. His
voice sounds tired (you can literally hear the breaths even at the
beginning of the song), flat and 'kachchii'. I don't understand
Composer's urge for singing professionally by MDs unless they can
outclass the available talent or bring something new to the mic. He
does neither. He may be okay, but I don't think 'okay' is enough in the
field of bg singing right now.

Vishal makes up in the arrangement though. The song starts with a
beautiful guitar piece and is overall very well arranged. The melody is
simple and pleasing.

This song also brings the much-maligned (on RMIM) "Gulzarish" aspect of
Gulzar to the fore-front in full bloom. puure gaane se pahale cha.nd
baanagiyaa.N pesh hai.n:

(suuraj ke lie) "tum piiTh pe lenaa
mai.n haath lagaauu.N"

"kabhii-kabhii yuu.N karanaa
mai.n Daa.NTuu.N aur tum Daranaa"

"tere dohare badan me.n
sil jaau.Ngii re
jab karawaT legaa
chhil jaau.Ngii re"

Only Gulzar can better this.

--
Vinay

% ITRANS Song #
%
\startsong
\stitle{o saathii re din Duube naa}%
\film{Omkara}%
\year{2006}%
\starring{}%
\singer{Vishal Bhardwaj, Shreya Ghoshal}%
\music{Vishal}%
\lyrics{Gulzar}%
%
% Tags: Romantic
% Audio on:
% Contributor: Vinay P Jain
% Transliterator: Vinay P Jain
% Date: 10 Jul 2006
% Series: Angoor Ka Daana
% Comments:
% generated using www.giitaayan.com
%
\printtitle
#indian
%
o saathii re
din Duube naa
aa chal din ko roke.n
dhuup ke piichhe dau.De.n
chhaa.Nv chhue naa
o saathii re

vi:
thakaa-thakaa suuraj jab
nadii se hokar nikalegaa
shre:
harii-harii kaaii pe
paa.Nv pa.Daa to phisalegaa
vi:
tum rok ke rakhanaa
mai.n jaal giraauu.N
shre:
tum piiTh pe lenaa
mai.n haath lagaauu.N
din Duube naa
terii merii aTTii-baTTii
daa.Nt se kaaTii kaTTii
re ja_iyo naa
o piihuu re
o piihuu re
naa ja_iyo naa

shre:
ho~
kabhii-kabhii yuu.N karanaa
mai.n Daa.NTuu.N aur tum Daranaa
vi:
ubal pa.De aa.Nkho.n se
miiThe paanii kaa jharanaa
shre:
tere dohare badan me.n
sil jaau.Ngii re
jab karawaT legaa
chhil jaau.Ngii re
vi:
sa.ng le jaauu.Ngaa
terii merii a.Nganii-ma.Nganii
a.ng sa.ng laagii sa.nganii
sa.ng le jaauu.N
o piihuu re

dono.n:
o saathii re ...
%
#endindian
\endsong

Vinay

Jul 10, 2006, 2:00:56 PM7/10/06
Vinay ne likha tha:

> I don't understand
> Composer's urge for singing professionally by MDs unless they can
> outclass the available talent or bring something new to the mic.

Of course it did not make sense. My thoughts and fingers were not in
sync.
Here's what I wanted to write:

"I don't understand this urge that many composers have, to sing their
songs. Unless they can outclass the available talent or bring something
new to the mic, it is unprofessional and unfair (to the listeners). It
also backfires."

Vinay

Pavan Jha

Jul 10, 2006, 4:04:54 PM7/10/06
Well Vishal was obviously not the first choice for the song..

on this song he says,

"This is the first time that I have sung for a full fledged number.
Infact I was not supposed to, but due to time constraints I had sung a
rough track before leaving for the shoot.. everybody somehow loved the
rendition and forced me to keep it in my voice,, it evokes the
romanticism of the 60's. I composed this one while travelling to Goa to
meet Ajay. Infact out of six songs in the film, three were composed
while travelling"

Personally I dont think he has done a bad job.. infact his voice is
very fresh and eventhough its 'kachchi', suits well to the song..

Pavan

arun

Jul 10, 2006, 4:09:31 PM7/10/06
I agree with Vinay - the breathing is positively disgusting .. though
he brings out the flavor of the song nicely..