Rafi-25,000-money-foot-mouth

surjit singh

Aug 2, 2001, 2:43:36 AM8/2/01
Hi RMIMers:

As many of you know, I am much interested in the history of Hindi Film
Music.
I would like to do as much as I can to learn more about it and
preserve this priceless heritage.

One of my most favorite singers, Rafi has seemingly sung 25,000 songs.
However, all the researchers so far seem to have missed more than 80%
of these.

For example, I have two books on Rafi (both bearing unmistakeable
imprint of Geet Kosh) and they give the number of his songs as
approximately 4,525. Both of these books list the first lines of the
songs, movie name, year of the certificate, music director, lyricist
and co-singer (if any). For very few songs they do not have complete
information. It is possible that all the books missed 1% of his songs.
So, an estimate of the total might be 4,570.

As a person who is a music lover, a Rafi fan and eager to help
research, I have decided to put my money where my mouth is. Some of
you may say that I have put my foot in my mouth. Be that as it may, I
declare the following:

If you have in your possession songs that are not listed in any of the
compilations, please come forward. Send me a recording of such a Rafi
song and documentary proof that Rafi indeed sang the song in question.

If you meet the above two conditions (namely, produce a recording of a
song not in any Rafi book compilation and documentary proof that Rafi
sang it), I promise to pay you as follows:

For new song numbers 1-10 $1 each
For new song numbers 11-20 $2 each
For new song numbers 21-30 $5 each
For new song numbers 31-40 $10 each
For new song numbers 41-50 $20 each

Of course, the song and the documentary proof become my sole property.
Also, I will pay for a song only once, to the first claimant!

Surjit Singh, a diehard movie fan(atic), period.

PS: I urge all fans of lata, asha, mahendra kapoor, sonu niigam etc.
to put their money where their mouth is!

SS.

RVRSIDHU

Aug 9, 2001, 12:45:53 PM8/9/01
hi rafi fan i'm raj
i've been trying to find the name of a hindi movie of the song i first heard
about 9 years back.
the song sang by mohd.rafi starts with the words --- "boonde nahi sitare"
(a very poetic song).
i'm pretty sure its a 1980s movie and the music might be r.d burman.
the song was also played on "sunrise radio today at 3.55p.m but i missed the
films name again. i,d be very grateful if you could find out the name of this
movie and let me know at rvrs...@aol.com
thanks raj

surjit singh

Aug 9, 2001, 8:04:05 PM8/9/01
Hi Raj:

buu.Nde.n nahii.n, sitaare Tapake hai.n

saajan kii sahelii (1980), rafii, ushaa khannaa, majaruuh
picturized on vinod meharaa

Surjit Singh, a diehard movie fan(atic), period.

naniwadekar

Aug 9, 2001, 11:12:35 PM8/9/01
rvrs...@aol.com (RVRSIDHU) wrote -

> hi rafi fan i'm raj

hi raj i'm a rafi fan

surjit singh

Aug 11, 2001, 12:06:39 AM8/11/01
Hi RMIMers:

After my post, I received information about two people by email.

One is in India, reputedly has 12,000 songs of Rafi on cassettes. I
assume that more than 7,000 of these are unlisted! A process to get a
list from him was started. But after the inital claim, he seems to
have disappeared. I am trying to track him down! He is in Bombay, oops
mumbai.

Second one is in US. He is reported to have 7 or 8 unlisted but
verifiably Rafi songs. The man has not disappeared and the
verification process is under way. Looks like I will be able to give
away some of my money!

Stay tuned! I will keep you posted.

Surjit Singh, a diehard movie fan(atic), period.

PS: I renew my appeal to fans of Lata, Asha and Mahendra Kapoor to
issue similar award notices so that we can dig up unlisted songs and
help HFM.

SS

surjit singh

Aug 11, 2001, 11:14:16 AM8/11/01
Hi RMIMers:

For information on Rafi songs,
I trust the following books (all in Devanagari-Hindi).

1. Hindi Film Geet Kosh

For information, please visit Har Mandir Singh's home page

http://hfgk.8m.com/

2. Mere Geet Tumhare

Published in November 1998, price Rs. 800

Compilers: Ajit K. Pradhan (Dombivli, India, Phone 0251-457114)
and Preetam T. Menghani (Ulhasnagar, India, Phone 0251-526708)

Publisher:
Nitin Publications,
105, J. M. Dham, Tilak Nagar,
Dombivli (East), Distt. Thane
Maharashtra - 421 201
INDIA

3. Yadgar-e-Rafi

Published in July 1998, price Rs. 400 paperback

Compiler: Iqbal Ahmed Ganam and Asif Bakhshi

Publisher:
Iqbal Ahmed Ganam
National Provision Store
6-A, Platinum Society
Near Panigate Bus Depot
Vadodara - 390 019
INDIA

For discussing controversies about Rafi songs, these books should be
used.
There is a huge overlap between the two books at Numbers 2 and 3
(99.9%).
I am compiling a list of the unique songs in each, but it will take
time.

Of course, the Geet Kosh has been published only up to 1980, while
Rafi died in 1994.

Ket...@att.net

Aug 13, 2001, 11:35:57 AM8/13/01
In article <37eb6192.01081...@posting.google.com>,
surjit...@yahoo.com says...

< List of books deleted >

>For discussing controversies about Rafi songs, these books should be
>used.
>There is a huge overlap between the two books at Numbers 2 and 3
>(99.9%).
>I am compiling a list of the unique songs in each, but it will take
>time.
>
>Of course, the Geet Kosh has been published only up to 1980, while
>Rafi died in 1994.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Eh? Wazzat? RDB died in 1994 Surjit-ji...not Rafi. Rafi handed in his d.p. in
1980.

>Surjit Singh, a diehard movie fan(atic), period.

Ketan

surjit singh

Aug 15, 2001, 1:59:40 AM8/15/01
Ket...@att.net wrote in message news:<9l8s4...@drn.newsguy.com>...

Hi Ketan:

I was hoping you will show up, because I had a readymade answer.
Thank you.

Here it is:

Great souls like Rafi never die, even though atoms go back to being
atoms and quarks to quarks etc.

What I meant is that 1994 is the last year in which censor
certificates were given to films in which songs sung by Rafi have been
included. There are at least 2 such movies

sej piyaa kii and ulfat kii na_ii manzile.n

Ket...@att.net

Aug 15, 2001, 2:31:48 PM8/15/01
In article <37eb6192.0108...@posting.google.com>,
surjit...@yahoo.com says...

>Ket...@att.net wrote in message news:<9l8s4...@drn.newsguy.com>...

>> >Of course, the Geet Kosh has been published only up to 1980, while

>> >Rafi died in 1994.
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> Eh? Wazzat? RDB died in 1994 Surjit-ji...not Rafi. Rafi handed in his d.p. in
>> 1980.
>
>Hi Ketan:
>
>I was hoping you will show up, because I had a readymade answer.
>Thank you.
>
>Here it is:
>
>Great souls like Rafi never die, even though atoms go back to being
>atoms and quarks to quarks etc.

That statement deserves to go down a black hole. :)

>What I meant is that 1994 is the last year in which censor
>certificates were given to films in which songs sung by Rafi have been
>included. There are at least 2 such movies
>
>sej piyaa kii and ulfat kii na_ii manzile.n

If you are going to take recourse to certificates, I can trump you on that--his
death certificate mentions the date as 1980. By your logic, I am still awaiting
the death of RDB, since Libaas has yet to be released I believe. Will let you
know when he dies.

Cheers

Ketan

surjit singh

Aug 21, 2001, 2:23:38 AM8/21/01
Hi RMIMers:

Here is the update to my effort to find 15,000 missing songs of Rafi.

A. The guy from Bombay re-surfaced and he has been requested to
produce the list of hitherto unknown songs from his fabled collection
of 12,000. He has not replied yet. By the way, he has recently looked
at the Geet Kosh and recently bought one of the Rafi Song
Compilations. So, there is hope.

B. The guy from US is Nani. He sent me seven songs on tape.

Here they are:

1. "roshan saa ik sitaaraa, islaam hai hamaaraa" Rafi + Female from
arab kaa sitaaraa (1946)
2. "roshan saa ik sitaaraa, islaam hai hamaaraa" Part 2, Rafi + Female
from arab kaa sitaaraa (1946)
3. "milataa hai kyaa namaaz me.n, sijade me.n jaa ke dekh le", Rafi
from arab kaa sitaaraa (1946)
4. "machaa dii dhuum duniyaa me.n", Rafi + Female from arab kaa
sitaaraa (1946)
5. "samajhe the ki guzare.nge, din chain aur Kushii me.n", Rafi from
baanuu (1949)
6. "lo ruK badal rahaa hai, phir zindagii kaa dhaaraa", Rafi from
baanuu (1949)
7. "morii bichha.Dii hu_ii ... hoTo.n kii ha.nsii", Rafi from havaa_ii
khaTolaa (1946)

I listened to the songs. Definitely Rafi. His clones were not "born"
yet. The female sounded like amiir baa_ii karnaTaki (naanii also
guessed that).

I looked in the bible. I found all 7, but the singer information was
blank.

So, I held my breath and looked in both Rafi compilations. Sadly,
found all 7 songs with detailed info in both the books. The female
singer is the same as suspected by me and nani.

Sorry, nani. Thanks for the songs, but no money.

The quest continues.

Surjit Singh, a diehard movie fan(atic), period.

PS: What is diehard doing in my sig?
Please do your homework and look it up in google.

naniwadekar

Aug 21, 2001, 9:31:46 AM8/21/01

surjit singh <surjit...@yahoo.com> wrote -

> B. The guy from US is Nani. He sent me seven songs on tape.
>
> Here they are:

< list snipped>

> I looked in the bible. I found all 7, but the singer information was
> blank.
>
> So, I held my breath and looked in both Rafi compilations. Sadly,
> found all 7 songs with detailed info in both the books. The female
> singer is the same as suspected by me and nani.
>
> Sorry, nani. Thanks for the songs, but no money.
>
> The quest continues.
>
> Surjit Singh, a diehard movie fan(atic), period.

Thanks to his generous nature, Dr Surjit Singh is giving
me more credit than I deserve.

Last year, a Delhi based friend tracked down a rare
Parul Ghosh solo from Lady Doctor for me. He added
to that 3 minute song many songs from his private collection.
Then he sent copies of the cassette to myself and Hamraaz.
I heard the cassette just once, and had no idea about
the p-stats of the songs. I didn't even remember whether
the songs were sung by a male or a female voice. (My
voice cognition skills don't go much beyond that.)

After Hamraaz read about Dr Singh's offer, he alerted
me that I happened to have Rafi songs not attributed
to him in Geet Kosh. So I made a copy and sent it
to Dr Singh so that he could verify whether the songs
were included in the two Rafi compilations, which were
published in 1998, 14 years after the 1941-50 volume
of Geet Kosh was published. This episode proves how
hard the compilers of the books have worked, how
difficult it is to uncover even one new Rafi song, and how
hollow the claims of 25,000-brigade are.

Vishwas Nerurkar's book on Lata doesn't include two
songs covered by Geet Kosh, due to oversight.
1. kab tak uthaye aur ye gham - Nakaab (1950s)
2. a.nkhiya.n bhool gayi hai sona (IIRC) - goonj u. s.

I am told that the Lata book also missed 6 songs
from 3 78-rpm records and that VN has accepted
the claim. But I don't know which songs he missed,
and whether or not Geet Kosh has attributed them
to Lata.

A question for RMIMers. Hamraaz discovered that
HMV catalogues erroneously mention S Qureshi as
the MD of ARAB KA SITARA. H later met the real
MD and noted down who has sung which song from
that film. Who is the real MD?

By the way,
25,000 to the base 2 = 72 , though a base of
2 does not accept the digits 2 and 5;
25,000 to the base of 6 = 3,672
25,000 to the base of 8 = 10,752 (already too high
a figure, since Rafi has sung less than 5000 songs)

- nani

naniwadekar

Aug 23, 2001, 12:40:23 AM8/23/01

naniwadekar <nan...@hotmail.com> wrote -

> A question for RMIMers. Hamraaz discovered that
> HMV catalogues erroneously mention S Qureshi as
> the MD of ARAB KA SITARA. H later met the real
> MD and noted down who has sung which song from
> that film. Who is the real MD?

Lest I forget to post the answer, and give Kalraji
a chance to flame me back ...

The music director of 'Arab Ka Sitara' was the
great Alla Rakha Qureshi.

- dn

vsr...@mailandnews.com

Aug 23, 2001, 12:57:54 AM8/23/01
> a diehard movie fan(atic), period.

first: Die hard
second sequel: Die hard II (not sure)
third sequel: Die hard, with a vengeance

I am a "diehard II" movie fan(atic).

It was not a period movie. It was an action movie. and boys, what
captivating action.

-Rawat

surjit singh

Aug 24, 2001, 12:31:52 AM8/24/01
surjit...@yahoo.com (surjit singh) wrote in message news:<37eb6192.01082...@posting.google.com>...

> Hi RMIMers:
>
> Here is the update to my effort to find 15,000 missing songs of Rafi.
>
> A. The guy from Bombay re-surfaced and he has been requested to
> produce the list of hitherto unknown songs from his fabled collection
> of 12,000. He has not replied yet. By the way, he has recently looked
> at the Geet Kosh and recently bought one of the Rafi Song
> Compilations. So, there is hope.

The guy from Bombay sheepishly admitted that he probably has 3,500
songs of Rafi and all of them can be found in the books.

C. Another guy from India has come forward. He seems genuine. He says
he has not finished his master list, but he may have more than a few
hitherto unknown Rafi songs.

Will keep you posted.