2007 RMIM Puraskaar results are out

Vinay

Mar 5, 2008, 10:15:50 AM3/5/08
After a long process of nomination and jury analysis, the wait is
over. The RMIM Puraskaar for 2007 are declared. And we go straight to
the final list - sorry, no stage shows.

"Taare Zameen Par" wins the "Album of the Year" puraskaar. "maa.N"
from the same film is adjudged the "Song of the Year". If you don't
want to wait further, you can head to the Puraskaar 2007 site (http://
awards.giitaayan.com/2007/) and see other worthy albums, songs, and
artists of the year.

The "Satish Kalra Sammaan" was not conferred on any album this year.
As I have mentioned before, it is a benchmark honour and is given only
when a certain criteria is met. Unfortunately no album this year
deserved it.

Thanks to the voters and everyone else who participated in the
process. The jury members - Aditya, Arunabha, Ashok, Chetan, George,
Karthik, Manish, Neha, Pavan, Shalini, UVR, and Yunus - did a great
job and I thank them for completing a painstaking task in the given
time and so wonderfully. I hope the music helped :). I especially
thank George for his help with the stats of songs. (See, that's what
makes these awards different. Only the organizer gets to deliver the
"thanks" note, not the winners.)

Follow the links below to see the results. Feel free to list them
here, discuss them, tear them apart, or send me a bouquet.

* For results in English - http://awards.giitaayan.com/2007/indexen.htm
* परिणाम, हिंदी में - http://awards.giitaayan.com/2007/indexhi.htm

Neha Desai

Mar 5, 2008, 7:09:04 PM3/5/08
Thanks for the results.

> The "Satish Kalra Sammaan" was not conferred on any album this year.
> As I have mentioned before, it is a benchmark honour and is given only
> when a certain criteria is met. Unfortunately no album this year
> deserved it.

That is strange. What is the certain criteria that wasnt met?
Seeing that most songs of TZP are in the top 50 songs list.
Also seeing that TZP tops almost all categories(best sung, best song,
best lyrics, best composition), I am disappointed that it wasnt deemed
equal to OMKARA and RDB(which took the honours last year)

==
Neha

Vinay

Mar 5, 2008, 7:26:43 PM3/5/08

Neha:

It was an error. Entirely my fault. It was a miscalculation on my
part. I have since corrected the mistake on the website.

Taare Zameen Par indeed gets past the benchmark.

My apologies.

Vinay

> ==
> Neha

Chetan Vinchhi

Mar 6, 2008, 3:13:05 AM3/6/08
On Mar 5, 8:15 pm, Vinay <v9y....@gmail.com> wrote:

> (See, that's what
> makes these awards different. Only the organizer gets to deliver the
> "thanks" note, not the winners.)

You are being too modest, Vinay. Obviously, immense amounts of work
goes into making something like this happen. Thank you very much for
doing this!

Regarding the Satish Kalra Sammaan, I personally don't think TZP
deserved to be there. In fact, no album this year stood out as an
outstanding musical score. There were flashes of brilliance here and
there, but no consistent gold-standard work. If you have set objective
criteria for the selection, there isn't much to do. But if the
crieteria are subjective (kind of like critics' awards) I am more in
agreementh with your earlier decision :)

rajendra

Mar 6, 2008, 8:38:11 AM3/6/08
On Mar 5, 8:15 pm, Vinay <v9y....@gmail.com> wrote:
> * For results in English -http://awards.giitaayan.com/2007/indexen.htm

> * परिणाम, हिंदी में -http://awards.giitaayan.com/2007/indexhi.htm

Isn't it strange that Lyricist of the Year does not get the honour of
Best written Song and Song of the Year ?
Rajendra

arun

Mar 6, 2008, 9:09:04 AM3/6/08
> * For results in English -http://awards.giitaayan.com/2007/indexen.htm

> * परिणाम, हिंदी में -http://awards.giitaayan.com/2007/indexhi.htm

Great Job!

Though I feel there its becoming like a filmfare award in which most
awards go to select few albums rather than recognition of wider
spectrum of good music (though unlike filmfare, deservedly in this
case!)

I mean nothing from Dhokha, dus kahaniyan, aggar, the train, mera
pehla pehla pyar, heyy babyy ..nothing to take away from the winners!

Can you divulge more details, i.e. how many votes for each album /
each song etc to get the full picture.

And another recommendation -- please add a non-film category - a
plethora of amazing music has been coming out recently, e.g. Kailasa
band, Sona mohapatra and recently Sonu Nigam.
Arun

arun

Mar 6, 2008, 9:25:19 AM3/6/08
> Arun- Hide quoted text -

also Eklavya, just married, delhi heights etc which came out in early
07. Anyways, a full
detailed result would probably show representation from these
soundtracks. A

Vinay

Mar 6, 2008, 9:32:22 AM3/6/08
On Mar 6, 3:13 am, Chetan Vinchhi <vinc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 5, 8:15 pm, Vinay <v9y....@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > (See, that's what
> > makes these awards different. Only the organizer gets to deliver the
> > "thanks" note, not the winners.)
>
> You are being too modest, Vinay. Obviously, immense amounts of work
> goes into making something like this happen. Thank you very much for
> doing this!
>
> Regarding the Satish Kalra Sammaan, I personally don't think TZP
> deserved to be there. In fact, no album this year stood out as an
> outstanding musical score. There were flashes of brilliance here and
> there, but no consistent gold-standard work. If you have set objective
> criteria for the selection, there isn't much to do.

That is exactly the case. It depended on how you guys (the jury) rated
it :).

> But if the
> crieteria are subjective (kind of like critics' awards) I am more in
> agreementh with your earlier decision :)

And I would be in agreement with you there. Not to play the
spoilsport, and admitting that TZP is still good, IMHO it was a little
short on the total album value than e.g. Omkara or RDB.

Vinay

Vinay

Mar 6, 2008, 9:38:25 AM3/6/08

All "Artist of the Year" awards, as the name suggests, are for
performances throughout the year. These are based on aggregated scores
of work by an artist during the year, as opposed to the "Best ...
song" awards, which are for specific songs. I hope that answers your
question.

Vinay

Vinay

Mar 6, 2008, 9:54:02 AM3/6/08
On Mar 6, 9:09 am, arun <arunk...@gmail.com> wrote:

At the end of it, all awards are basically opinions of a select group,
no matter how big. If these scores do not show up in the final list,
it means that within this group, there were not enough takers for
these albums. That there were other albums ahead of them in the queue.
And you need to end the queue somewhere.

> And another recommendation -- please add a non-film category - a
> plethora of amazing music has been coming out recently, e.g. Kailasa
> band, Sona mohapatra and recently Sonu Nigam.

I know and I would love to. One trouble with doing this is that
there's no easy way to get the data of all unreleased albums in a year
right now. I don't want to do it half-baked. Secondly, it will make
the whole process scale up on a level that I am not equipped to handle
currently. But I have thought about it and will keep this in mind.

Vinay

> Arun

Animesh K

Mar 6, 2008, 2:28:38 PM3/6/08
rajendra wrote:

> Isn't it strange that Lyricist of the Year does not get the honour of
> Best written Song and Song of the Year ?
> Rajendra

No it is not. Score of (0 0 0 100 0 0) is worse than score of (25 25 25
25 25 25) on an average, but is better in terms of maximum individual
performance.

Pavan Jha

Mar 6, 2008, 4:04:13 PM3/6/08
Its unusual that Anwar despite having both of its songs in top 25
songs is not in top 10 albums while saawariya has not a single song in
top 25 (of 60) songs yet it was ranked 2nd in the albums.. Actually
this signifies how people prefer "songs" and "albums" seperately..

Chetan Vinchhi

Mar 6, 2008, 11:14:32 PM3/6/08
On Mar 6, 7:32 pm, Vinay <v9y....@gmail.com> wrote:

> > If you have set objective
> > criteria for the selection, there isn't much to do.
>
> That is exactly the case. It depended on how you guys (the jury) rated
> it :)

If it depended *only* on the jury rating, an album could win most of
the awards, but still not qualify for the Sammaan!

Vinay

Mar 7, 2008, 9:25:09 AM3/7/08

Exactly. Also, there may be more than one album in an year to get the
Sammaan (as was the case last year).

As I have mentioned before, this is a benchmark award that is ranked
on an absolute scale across the years, as opposed to other rankings
that are relative to each other for that particular year. That is why
the top-ranked album does not automatically gets it.

Vinay