Satish Uncle - A deeply personal tribute

Ritu

Dec 30, 2007, 10:17:36 PM12/30/07
Friends,

The RMIM Family grieves for our beloved Satish Kalra. His funeral on
Friday, finally helped me bring a closure to his death. A tribute to
his memory follows. Writing this piece has been a form of catharsis
and probably should have been placed in a personal blog instead of the
newsgroup. But then, after reading the outpouring of tributes on this
forum, I can say with confidence that many other people here on this
newsgroup must have had experiences similar to mine, and would see
something of their own interaction with him in my reminiscences. We
all know that Satish Kalra was an exceptional music lover, but anyone
who has spent even a little time with him will testify that he was
even more exceptional a human being. I pay respects and salute the
spirit that was Satish Kalra.

Regards,
Ritu

SATISH UNCLE - A DEEPLY PERSONAL TRIBUTE

Zindagi khwaab hai tha hamen bhi pata,
magar is khwaab se hamen bahut pyaar tha

Alvida...

The year was 2001. I lived in Pennsylvania sharing a house with my
friend Madhura. RMIM at this point was only known to me through
archived articles that came up when I did my monthly Internet search
on 'Dev Anand'. Despite searching a fair bit, I hadn't been able to
locate the actual residence of the RMIM group on the Internet. And
then one magical month Madhura came across an ex-RMIMer who informed
us of something called an RMIM Meet.

"If you are interested, there is a meet happening soon right next door
in PA. I can email the host Satish Kalra for you."

Interested in a musical event? Ofcourse we were!.

And so a mail went out to Satish Kalra informing him of our desire to
attend. Promptly, I received an email from him welcoming our
initiative and giving us the details of the event.

I had come across Satish Kalra's name in Internet searches and I
somehow imagined him to be a typical 'JNU jholewala'. A middle-aged
person in a Fab India kurta with a salt 'n' pepper beard. I guess,
having being raised in Delhi my vision of a music/art lover was
coloured by the kind of people one sees in Kamani Auditorium or India
International Center and other such cultural hubs. The typical
pretentious, affected Delhi intellectual. In fact I had also imagined
RMIM to be a collection of such individuals and was largely sceptical
of what to expect.

Anyway, the day came and Madhura and I landed at the meet at the
Kalras residence. The first thing I remember is of being ushered into
a room full of people who were sitting silently. Madhura and I tried
to make some basic conversation after which we were quite glad to have
each other's company. It was only later we realised that everyone in
that room was pretty much a stranger to each other!. In a bit we saw
this friendly, smiling individual who introduced himself as Satish
Kalra.. the host. I remember warming up to him instantly. He was far
placed from anything that I had imagined him to be. Anyway, as RMIM
Meets are, by the end of the week-end we had a blast and had made many
news friends. As we bid good-bye to the Kalras I reached out my hand
politely to say thank-you. Instead of a hand-shake I got a warm hug
from both them!

"'Beta yeh tumhara hi ghar hai.. aate rehna", they said with the
simplicity, spontaneity and 'apnapan' that not only I but the entire
RMIM family has come to cherish over the years. Now, reading the
various tributes to his memory, I realise that was Satish Kalras's
secret formula, his 'Jaadoo ki Jhappi' to make sure anyone who came in
contact with him became a part of him.

From that day onwards Satish and Saroj Kalra became 'Uncle' and
'Aunty' for us. We lived very close to their place and visited
sporadically at first and then regularly later. A visit to the Kalras
residence always like going home to your family. They pampered you
silly. Uncle had these special fruit juices he would whip up esp for
us. Later when I moved away from PA to New Jersey I would often stay
over at their place. They would never let you drive home late at
night. Uncle would always have a steaming cup of tea ready when I
would come down-stairs in the morning. I remember all those meets at
Guri's place where he would prepare steaming parathas for people
coming in for breakfast. Or the first meet at the Kalras residence
where Uncle fed everyone with scrumptious freshly made golgappas for
evening tea. He used to love to do things for people. He got genuine
satisfaction out of it. His childlike enthusiasm was both infectious
and endearing at the same time.

It was Uncle who convinced us to attend the first meet in Denver at
Guri's place. I remember feeling a little hesitant to pile on and
become a house guest at Guri's who was little known to us then. But
Uncle assured us that it was perfectly normal to do something like
that in RMIM Family :). Then there was this horrific phase when
Madhura and I got the impression that we had a latent singing talent
(To be fair, Madhura does have it, but I certainly don't). We joined
classical singing classes and would love to sing (much to the horror
of our common friends). But Uncle and Aunty would always encourage us.
Every time we went to their place they would ask us to sing. So much
so, there was a time Minu Purshottam was their house guest and I was
summoned to drop her over to New Jersey. But not before being fed a
scrumptious dinner and then.. hold your breath, being asked to sing
for Minu Purshottam! What happened after that is best kept away from
public knowledge :). But Uncle and Aunty always remained proud of us.
Even the last time we met at the Bharatdarshan music club meet, Aunty
told me 'mujhe tumhara gaana sunne ka bada man kar raha hai' (I really
feel like listening to you sing). I can only ascribe that masochism to
indulgent love.

Uncle was always implicitly behind any musical ventures that I
undertook. Whether it was the SDB site or our show in Delhi. When our
show hit a low patch because of lack of fund it was Uncle who called
and up and wrote to people in Delhi to help me out. He proof read my
articles and interviewed Manna Dey for me. After that despite his ill-
health, he got the interview into soft copies and sent them over in
time to me. I could always count on him. And it was not only me. He
was behind any musical or film related activity undertaken by
**anyone** **anywhere** in the world. He had friends in almost all
Internet groups and he was respected by all equally.

Uncle used to be very fond of having people around him. Esp. if there
was musical/film related event. Every time there was concert or
programme in the area he would always call and in his typical manner
offer to pick you up from home and take you to wherever the event was
to be held. Many times there were other friends who would join us. We
made many trips to the cinema hall in Warrington dissecting the film
on our way back home! If there was an RMIM Meet, then he would always
convince you to attend and send emails with all the good deals
available.

With time I moved to New Jersey, while Madhura continued in PA.
However, somehow, we would still make our trips to the Kalras
together. The equations came to be established pretty early on.
Madhura and Aunty were the non-RMIMers.... Very fond of good music..
but only to the point of listening to it. Statistics and dissections
bored them. They preferred to talk of more earthly matters. Uncle and
I on the other hand were the true-blue RMIMers. We would sit,
discuss,dissect for hours. If during a discussion some music came up
with which I was unfamiliar, I would definitely have the CDs copied
for me before I left for home. Madhura and aunty would keep their
distance from us:). Uncle was always *my* friend in that respect.
Infact more than a friend..... by a strange co-incidence Uncle's
daughter was named Ritu and my late father's name was Satish. A fact
uncle would very proudly narrate to anyone who would ask us if we were
related. So much so when I finally met his daughter Ritu, aunty
introduced me as 'Yeh Papa ki saheli hai' (she is Papa's friend) :). I
now believe our bond was pre-ordained.

Apart from music, Uncle had a great love for gardening. The Kalras had
an extensive kitchen garden and we would receive fresh vegetables and
fruits from them whenever something was in season. I recall many
afternoons when Uncle would take us for a round of his garden and
painstakingly explain the finer details of cultivating 'kakris' in
US :). Whatever Uncle did, he did with passion. Both Madhura and I
have somewhat of a green thumb and a lot of plants in her collection
and my erstwhile collection came from Uncle and Aunty's garden. He was
also a treasure trove of experiences. He was full of fascinating tales
of his childhood and youth in Haridwar. Mesmerising tales of swimming
in the Ganga at night, almost being carried away by the current.
Losing his way in the jungles near Dehradoon while returning after
watching a film. Getting transfixed by a king Cobra on an abandoned
railway track. I would always listen to his tales in wide-eyed wonder.
He truly did battle all forces of nature to watch his favorite films.
As Ketan had observed, that class of music lovers is now becoming a
part of history.

Then came a time when Madhura was engulfed with a health crisis. Those
days were dark days. Days of trying to find the light at the end of
the tunnel. Only Madhura can really express how much of a support
Uncle and Aunty were to her in that trying period. But as an intimate
observer, I can say that it was now that all the exemplary qualities
that made Satish Kalra the rare human being he was became strongly
apparent. It is in times of crisis that one really realises how few
people pass the test of dependability. Madhura, (and I through her
experiences) discovered this at a relatively early age. The Kalras
were exceptional in that respect. That was the period when Uncle's
illness was newly diagnosed, yet I remember him offering to drive 3.5
hours from PA to JFK to pick Madhura up from the airport. There were
so many other incidents that probably I should leave for Madhura to
recount. She would need her catharsis too. She still does not know
Uncle is gone.

Around the same time I shifted to Reading, PA and had a few minor
health problems of my own. Having no family here in the US and being
new to Reading, logistics were getting a little difficult for me.
Being fiercely self-respecting, I have always found it difficult to
ask for help. Uncle and Aunty probably understood that and insisted
that I stay with them. I remember Uncle taking off from work and
taking me to the hospital. When I quietly thanked him on our way back
he gave me a nugget that will always remain with me as lesson to live
life. As our discussion hovered over how few people one could really
depend upon in times of need Uncle offered me his bit of wisdom.

"Beta, my father always used to say, if someone comes asking you for
help, always remember that that their self-respect is already injured
because they are bowing their head at your feet. Don't do anything to
compound that hit on their esteem. Always offer help smilingly and
without making a fuss. And never expect them to return the favour. The
moment you expect something in return you have belied the initial
gesture."

That's how Uncle was. The lesson he learnt from his father was
ingrained in his being. He only knew how to give. To give without
expecting anything in return. His music was his treasure and he
splurged that with both hands. Anyone, anywhere had to just mention
not owning a particular song. He was sure to make a copy and get it to
them somehow. so many times I would forget that I had asked him for
some music but he would always remember and have a CD for me when we
met next. And he was like that with everybody.

In the last 2 years my meetings with the Kalras became sparse. I first
moved to India for sometime and then came back to live close to NYC,
very far from their place. Madhura too moved to Texas and then
Virginia and those old days of spending lazy afternoons at the Kalra's
place became a thing of the past. I would keep thinking of visiting
them, but was just so caught up with things that I never managed. But
Uncle and Aunty never complained. The last time I met Uncle was at the
BDC meet in NJ. He was full of plans to host an East Coast RMIM Meet.
'Chutti le lena.. kaam to tumhe hi karna hai' he told me. Ofcourse
Uncle, I said. I will come and spend a week-end with you in September.
September came and went and I continued to be busy, in October he sent
out an email that he was going in for a procedure, I did not think it
was very serious, I called him but he was in the hospital. Never mind,
I'll speak to him when he gets back I thought. October and November
had my plate full with personal and work-related events. Madhura
called me once and inquired about Uncle. "I am feeling a little
scared, I simply can't get through anyone at their place", she said.
"Oh you are being alarmist as usual" I told her. "Uncle will be fine."
I don't know why I had such a misplaced confidence.

Finally, early December Madhura called me 'Paaji, I spoke to Aunty,
Uncle is very unwell'. she said in a steely cold voice. "How unwell?",
I asked, my heart sinking. "I am going to India the day after so I
will drive down to Phili and meet him tomorrow". She said quietly.
"You also go and see him on the week-end while there is still time".
Week-end? Suddenly the week-end seemed too far off. I did not want to
wait till then. Why had I waited so long?. Why didn't I call him last
month?. I cursed myself. "I am taking leave. I will join you
tomorrow", I told her.

And so early this December, after many years Madhura and I made our
pilgrimage to Uncle and Aunty's place again. But a little too late.
Uncle was beyond the stage of interacting. We could only sit there and
helplessly see him fighting that losing battle. We spent time with
Aunty fighting and failing to keep our composure. Our mood would swing
between hope and despair. We sat in the living room where Uncle housed
his precious music collection. There was uncharacteristic clutter
around the area. "Uncle's music is neglected", I commented woefully
to Madhura. "His plants are doing well though", she said, lovingly
pulling out a weed from his precious prayer plant.

As the mood temporarily lightened, Aunty asked me to fish out some
bhajan cassettes for her(as a true-blue RMIMer's wife she told me Anup
Jalota mat nikalana:)) and also clean some of that clutter. I don't
want stuff to get mixed or misplaced she said. As I hunted for the
bhajan CDs, I saw some of Uncle's unfinished projects. He was in the
process of making copies of the Mukesh RMIM Commemorative CDs for
someone. There were neat photocopies of the covers of another CD he
was copying for someone. He always made copies of CDs with the
covers!. Someone else had sent him a box full of CDs that lay there
unopened. The area was gathering dust. I couldn't bear to see that.
His music collection area was always sparkling. As my last gesture to
him I arranged his cassettes as neatly as I could and dusted the area
to look the way he kept it.

Our feet where very very heavy as we bid good-bye that night. Madhura
kept turning and looking in the direction of Uncle's room. I put a
hand on her shoulder and gestured her to come off. Aunty needs to be
left alone now....

I cried all through my two hour drive back home. I cried in the bus to
work the next day as I heard Uncle's voice interviewing Manna Dey in
my iPod. Uncle cannot go away so soon..... Uncle CANNOT go away... but
he did go away... 3 weeks later.

At one of the early RMIM Meets, I was being pulled for my propensity
for calling people 'Uncle' and 'Aunty'. A very FOB(Fresh of the Boat)
characteristic I was told. The ragging was on full steam, till Uncle
stepped in to my rescue "I consider it an honour that you or anyone
would choose to call me Uncle. You have bestowed a respect upon me by
calling me Uncle", he said with characteristic humility. That's how he
was... content, humble and so comfortable with who he was.

But today, I would like to say this to him.....

I was honoured that **you** let me call you 'Uncle'. I was honoured
and blessed that you let me own a part of you. It was my good fortune
to have received all that love, affection, wisdom that I did from you.
Uncle, you were a truly an exceptional human being. If I can imbibe
and live by even 1% of the ideals that you lived by, I would consider
my life well-lived.

Ki mar ke bhi kisi ko yaad aayenge
kisi ke aansuon mein muskuraayenge
kahega phool har kali se baar baar
Jeena isi ka naam hai.....

Good-bye Uncle... Good-bye.
PRANAAM

Archisman Mozumder

Dec 31, 2007, 12:10:44 AM12/31/07

Dear Ritu,

That was a very very touching tribute. Despite not knowing Satish-ji
personally, my heart was heavy by the time I finished reading it.

My deepest condolences to Satish-ji's family members & friends. May
large-hearted & friendly music lovers like Satish-ji continue to grace
this earth to enrich our lives.

Regards-Archisman.

Ketan

Dec 31, 2007, 2:39:19 AM12/31/07
In article <9ca6144b-a782-49eb...@r60g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
Ritu says...

>Friends,
>
>The RMIM Family grieves for our beloved Satish Kalra. His funeral on
>Friday, finally helped me bring a closure to his death. A tribute to
>his memory follows. Writing this piece has been a form of catharsis
>and probably should have been placed in a personal blog instead of the
>newsgroup. But then, after reading the outpouring of tributes on this
>forum, I can say with confidence that many other people here on this
>newsgroup must have had experiences similar to mine, and would see
>something of their own interaction with him in my reminiscences. We
>all know that Satish Kalra was an exceptional music lover, but anyone
>who has spent even a little time with him will testify that he was
>even more exceptional a human being. I pay respects and salute the
>spirit that was Satish Kalra.
>
>Regards,
>Ritu

< Tribute respectfully removed >

>Good-bye Uncle... Good-bye.
>PRANAAM

Ritu,

I thought I was done crying. Reading your brilliant and touching tribute has
opened up the floodgates again.

PRANAAM Indeed!

Ketan

Anirudha

Dec 31, 2007, 3:24:03 AM12/31/07

Ritu

Very touching tribute. I have never interacted with Mr Kalra, (barring
once , when he replied to one of my posts in SKS), but your tribute
gives me a fair impression of the person Satish Kalra.

My heartfelt condolences to the Kalra family.

Anirudha

Sambit Basu

Dec 31, 2007, 2:38:09 PM12/31/07
I have exactly the same sentiments as Archisman's. Thanks to Ritu.

My condolence to Kalra family.

- Sambit

On Dec 30, 7:17 pm, Ritu <rituchandra0...@gmail.com> wrote:

<...>

Asif

Dec 31, 2007, 9:28:18 PM12/31/07
On Dec 30, 10:17 pm, Ritu <rituchandra0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Friends,
>
> The RMIM Family grieves for our beloved Satish Kalra. His funeral on
> Friday, finally helped me bring a closure to his death. A tribute to
> his memory follows. Writing this piece has been a form of catharsis

I am deeply moved by this tribute, Ritu. Now I get to know more about
him through your memories. Not a single day has passed when I did not
think about him ever since his departure. Every day I mutter to
myself 'Satish Kalra, Happy Listenings' many times and then cannot
believe he is gone. May his memories stay on (Amen).

Asif

Niketan

Jan 1, 2008, 2:13:24 AM1/1/08
Ki mar ke bhi kisi ko yaad aayenge
kisi ke aansuon mein muskuraayenge
kahega phool har kali se baar baar
Jeena isi ka naam hai.....

Most apt for him and coming from one of his fave composers Shankar
Jaikishen. Once more for Kalra-ji - RIP

Niketan

Arunabha

Jan 1, 2008, 5:32:57 AM1/1/08
Ritu,

A wonderful tribute to a truly extraordinary person. Thanks.

The common thread that runs through all the happy memories people have
of Satishji indeed illustrates how democratically loving and generous
Satishji was towards one and all. I can personally vouch for this,
having joined and begun posting on RMIM at a time when its austere and
knowledgeable membership proved daunting for the new and callow
poster. It's well known that RMIM does not suffer uninformed newbies
easily; Satishji was one of the few exceptions to this. He was one of
the first people who replied to me and offered me on his own
initiative old CR-Lata tracks so as to broaden my listening and
correct my impressions. I treasure that tape, and many others that he
subsequently made for me till today.

My favourite vignette of his however remains a non-music-related
interaction with him that I had at the Denver Meet in Guri's house. On
Saturday morning after the customary Friday night session that
continued into the early hours, and when people would wake late, and
tread in bleary-eyed into the kitchen, I found myself face to face
with Satishji. He was up early, showered and well-groomed, frying
parathas and offering them to the guests. Amused, I asked him what he
was doing up that early. With a twinkle in his eyes, he pointed to the
green chillies lying attractively arrayed next to the growing tower of
fresh parathas. He explained that he wanted to be up early so as to
get the first pick of the chillies, the truly hot ones. As I hadn't a
clue as to identifying these, he helped me out, saying that one must
go for the slender, uncurled variety of green chilly. A memory that
has stayed with me since, each time I am shopping for chillies !

A life truly well-lived. Thanks for the memories and the experience of
knowing you, Satishji.

-- Arunabha

Srinivas Ganti

Jan 1, 2008, 12:12:16 PM1/1/08
Ritu:

The tribute was deeply moving.

Some of us have been very fortunate to have been blessed by the divine
presence of Satish ji.
For others, I am sure your personal account will help create a
snapshot of his personality.

RMIMers,

Satish ji has left behind a multitude of memories. Wanted to share
one meeting, that captures his magnanimity as well as child like
nature.

It was the fall of of 2005, and I had just moved to Boston.
By then, meeting him had become an annual (at times bi-annaul) ritual
that had begun in 1999. That year was different as Satishji
couldn't make it to Suffolk meet and I missed Portland meet.

The Kalra's used to visit Boston regularly for his treatment, and
stay over at their sons place. We decided to meet on a Friday evening
and I took a cab straight from work to his place.

We had quite a bit of catching up to do. I wanted to leave early but
they suggested that I should stay for dinner and watch "The Burning
Train" that was being aired on one of the desi channels. They even
assured me that I need not worry about getting late as they will drop
me home.

I felt uncomfortable as he was recuperating at his sons place, and I
didn't want them to take any trouble. I finally relented after they
told me that they were very familiar with the area I was staying and
told that his son used to live right across the street from my
apartment complex.

We were soon engrossed in watching "the burning train".
When the train caught on fire, an announcement comes out giving
a headcount of the number of people whose lives were in danger.
We found a twist in the tale, immediately got up, started laughing,
shook hands, and decided to make it a quiz on RMIM. Everyone
around were quite amused at this sudden over flow of "childlike
spirit".

http://tinyurl.com/37nbc5

We enjoyed the movie thoroughly and it was time to take leave.
I was wearing a fall jacket and Satish ji advised that I should
wear a heavier jacket as winter was setting in. While I was about to
say good bye, Saroj ji, referred to the various times and different
cities
in which we have met and commented "ham kahaan kahaan mile hain".

Sadly in Satishji's case we can only say that in past tense "Satish
ji - ham kahaan kahaan mile the".

Srinivas.

Hema

Jan 2, 2008, 1:45:14 PM1/2/08
On Dec 30 2007, 10:17 pm, Ritu <rituchandra0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Friends,
>
> The RMIM Family grieves for our beloved Satish Kalra. His funeral on
> Friday, finally helped me bring a closure to his death. A tribute to
> his memory follows. Writing this piece has been a form of catharsis
> and probably should have been placed in a personal blog instead of the
> newsgroup. But then, after reading the outpouring of tributes on this
> forum, I can say with confidence that many other people here on this
> newsgroup must have had experiences similar to mine, and would see
> something of their own interaction with him in my reminiscences. We
> all know that Satish Kalra was an exceptional music lover, but anyone
> who has spent even a little time with him will testify that he was
> even more exceptional a human being. I pay respects and salute the
> spirit that was Satish Kalra.
>
> Regards,
> Ritu

Ritu, your tribute echoes my own sentiments.
Satish uncle was like family. I will always be grateful for the love
and affection I received from him and his wife. No words are enough to
describe the pain and sadness. God bless his soul.

Hema.

Animesh K

Jan 2, 2008, 3:04:46 PM1/2/08
Ritu wrote:
<snip>

> Ki mar ke bhi kisi ko yaad aayenge
> kisi ke aansuon mein muskuraayenge
> kahega phool har kali se baar baar
> Jeena isi ka naam hai.....
>

> Good-bye Uncle... Good-bye.
> PRANAAM

For any story, the beginning is a coincidence, and the end is
inevitable. You should bask in glory of the blissful association with
Satish Uncle^. Thousands of music lovers like me, hapless when it comes
to being in proximity of Satish Uncle, missed on the delightful
melodious exchanges with him. Extra proximity to a Legend like Satish
Uncle brings pleasure as well as pain. But you can always rejoice in his
thoughts -- for you have the half-full cup, instead of many others with
an empty cup. RMIM will never be the same again!

My sincere condolences to all those who are missing the companionship of
Satish Uncle.

Best regards,
Animesh

^ I never really called him with any appellation; but in hindsight, it
makes a lot of sense to call him an uncle. Every time I tried to touch
his feet, he embraced me instead.

kcp

Jan 4, 2008, 2:55:05 AM1/4/08
Indeed ketan. Floodgates have opened again. Many points are covered by
many members. I want to put down mine.

I remember our satishji through numerous offline interactions.

One who always gave songs without asking. Sometimes sending songs or
info, that was requested/asked over various forums, many months/ years
back. To give any example, he sent me a song of manna dey from
begunah, 2 months back, almost 3 years after i had requested in one
forum.

I still remember his nature of not sharing songs with people who do
not deserve. I have been following this principle since the last 3
years or so.

Many discussions of mine were regarding old magazine articles. We used
to discuss at length, the era. The magical moments that satishji
experienced. i am still amazed by his razor sharp memory, seldom seen
by me in any human being.

I would miss his correcting of mistakes that i did or other forum
people did, on writing proper hindi language, opposing use of sms
writing styles, etc

I would miss one soul who always tried to make up the ommissions that
the great anthologists made. Recently he asked me to send nerurkars
details to send info of missing asha bhosle song in his book

I would miss typing "satish kalra" in the rmim, yahoo or gmail
homepage-search-box. Those were one of the few words which i would
search from my hundreds of unread emails in various inboxes, first
thing every morning i opened my accounts.

I curse myself for not sending him some of the collection that i had
promised to send. I had sent a few cds before, but could not send him
the rest due to lack of time :(

I would miss a great mukesh fan and a lots of trivias and anecdotes on
mukesh. He helped me fight great battles that i would have versus some
mukesh-bashers on net or in person.

I would miss that passionate sj, lata and madan mohan fan.

I would miss his advises, suggestions, on many ocassions. I want to
mention a few -
- his defending on my behalf on the sj-yahoo-forum, for one guy
unnecessarily bashing me and me leaving the forum.
- his offline fatherly advise on my aggressive nature. Once ( almost 3
to 4 years back) my blasting at surjitji (for offering goodies only to
physical attendees of meets). i want to publicly apologize to surjitji
for that "now".
- i want to "apologize" to sanjeev, "now", for my recent misbehaviour
(in the eyes of satishji, which i guess was right). I am still cursing
myself that the negative discussion was the last conversation of
satishji with me ! Nothing could get worse for me :( i am sorry
satishji !

I wish that i was less aggressive on the net. Being so i would
definitely got that "extra" love and affection, which ritu mentioned
in her tribute. I could feel satishji desperately trying to reach out
his hand, to put on my head, back, but it is too late "now"

If ever in future, i find the video of the film 'begunah' i would not
have the courage to watch it. Satishji longed to see it so much and i
curse myself for not trying hard enough to search it in on on
systematic manner.

I would miss you satishji every day !

Kcp

Pramod

Jan 4, 2008, 12:27:50 PM1/4/08

Ritu schrieb:

> Friends,
>
> The RMIM Family grieves for our beloved Satish Kalra. His funeral on
> Friday, finally helped me bring a closure to his death. A tribute to
> his memory follows. Writing this piece has been a form of catharsis
> and probably should have been placed in a personal blog instead of the
> newsgroup. But then, after reading the outpouring of tributes on this
> forum, I can say with confidence that many other people here on this
> newsgroup must have had experiences similar to mine, and would see
> something of their own interaction with him in my reminiscences. We
> all know that Satish Kalra was an exceptional music lover, but anyone
> who has spent even a little time with him will testify that he was
> even more exceptional a human being. I pay respects and salute the
> spirit that was Satish Kalra.
>
> Regards,
> Ritu

Dear Ritu!

Thank you for this precious insight in the person called Satish
Kalra.
For me he was a name to be adored. He is so highly spoken person in
RMIM circles. I always thought it was because of his knowledge. Now I
know the deeper reason.

Thank you!

Regards
Pramod

Surjit Singh

Jan 6, 2008, 2:43:25 PM1/6/08

No need to apologize kcp; I never take any criticism of me seriously.
[But don't criticize Hamraaz, unfairly, in my opinion; else I will throw
a few tantra (OK, tanrums) :) ] On a related note, I wish I had
unlimited time and resources so that I could do more.

--
Surjit Singh, a diehard movie fan(atic), period.
http://hindi-movies-songs.com/index.html

kcp

Jan 6, 2008, 11:47:00 PM1/6/08
On Jan 6, 11:43 pm, Surjit Singh <surjit_si...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [But don't criticize Hamraaz, unfairly, in my opinion; else I will throw
> a few tantra (OK, tanrums) :) ]

Hahahaha....Actually I have the highest regard towards Hamraaz. Also I
respect anthologists like Nerurkar, Raghuvanshi and many more, who
have done hard work for individual fans of their respective idols. It
is an extremely difficult task especially when one is a family man and
has so many other responsibilities.

KCP

Deepak

Jan 7, 2008, 12:24:30 AM1/7/08
"kcp" <kcpi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

You just signed your name on Jay's blcklist of people who respect Hamraaz.

Deepak

naniwadekar

Jan 7, 2008, 1:38:05 AM1/7/08

"Deepak" <deepak...@hp.com> wrote :

> You just signed your name on Jay's blcklist of people who
> respect Hamraaz.

And you just used yet another opportunity to vent against
Shri Jayaraman without giving the least thought to whether
this thread is an appropriate vehicle for it.

- dn

Deepak

Jan 7, 2008, 3:23:18 AM1/7/08
"naniwadekar" <nani3...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

On the issue of not being sensitive to the thread topic, I plead guilty and
apologize. On your first point, I will not respond for the fear of making
the same mistake again (the need to be sensitive to the thread topic).

Deepak

Sanjeev Ramabhadran

Jan 7, 2008, 10:38:17 AM1/7/08
On Jan 4, 2:55 am, kcp <kcpin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> - i want to "apologize" to sanjeev, "now", for my recent misbehaviour
> (in the eyes of satishji, which i guess was right). I am still cursing
> myself that the negative discussion was the last conversation of
> satishji with me ! Nothing could get worse for me :( i am sorry
> satishji !

KCP, no worries. I probably carried on longer than necessary myself. I
second many of your points about Satish Uncle - he was one of the most
genuinely encouraging and open-minded people on this forum (and off
it). I am hopeful that he is in a better place, but bitter that he has
been snatched from us.

Sanjeev

Anand Tiwari

Jan 7, 2008, 3:49:02 PM1/7/08
On Dec 30 2007, 9:17 pm, Ritu <rituchandra0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Friends,

My heartfelt condolences to Saroj ji and her family.

RMIM has lost one of its biggest luminaries and I have lost another
person whom i deeply respected and looked up to.

anand