Slightly OT : The RMIM World

Ritu

Jun 28, 2008, 10:29:06 AM6/28/08
Folks,

Some ruminations on RMIM, from a personal perspective. Just thought of
sharing it with all of you.

http://rituswanderlust.blogspot.com/2008/06/rmim-world.html

Warm Regards,
Ritu

kcp

Jun 28, 2008, 11:30:29 AM6/28/08
Ditto my thoughts

Kcp

Afzal A. Khan

Jun 28, 2008, 11:55:42 AM6/28/08

Ritu-ji,

I read your blog with great interest. Was a bit surprised, though,
that "Nau Do Gyaara" did not find a place in your list of favourite
movies. Perhaps it got 'clubbed' under the "Many More" tag.

Afzal

irfan

Jun 28, 2008, 12:33:46 PM6/28/08

Ritu ji, GREAT write-up.
I like all the nice songs composed by any Composer. But I am a
great fan of Burmanda. In my college days(early 60s) I used to
have 'music brawls' in college canteen for many hours over many
cups of tea and glasses of juice about 'who is the best Composer'.
As I was the only vocal fan of Burman, I had to' fight' with many
fans
of Naushad, S/J and others. Slowly I started wining a good number
of participants.
A couple of years back we were having a get-to-gather(in
Pakistan).
Recalling those 'brawls' one of my friends said(I consider that as
the
best compliment on my being a Burman fan),"Burman bohat achha
hai laikin mashhoor Khwaja ne karaya hai".

Same to you Ritu ji.

Regards,

Irfan

Ritu

Jun 30, 2008, 11:19:25 AM6/30/08

Thank you for your visit Afzalji. There isn't much happening at my
blog at this point to make much of an interesting read, but hopefully
if I stay engaged with it, I should be able to accumalate some
material. Your feedback is most valuable.

As far as Nau Do Gyarah is concerned, I have to admit the greatest
charm of Nau Do Gyarah was linked with my being charmed by Dev Anand.
Since that has worn off considerably (esp. after I met him!), Nau do
Gyarah has moved down from my list of hand-picked films. A film like
Tere Ghar Ke Saamne appeals much more. It is definitely there in the
'Many more' category. The film undoubtedly has had the longest run as
my most favourite film. It should be like a retired sartaj geet :).

Trying to make this musically relevent, at the RMIM Meet, Vish(the one
from New Jersey) mentioned 'Jaane jigar hai hai' as a standout song
from the film. It is a song I have given least attention to. My
favourite oscillating between 'Aaja Panchi Akela Hai' and 'Dhalki
jaaye', but after Vish's observation I revisited the song. And I have
to agree it is a blast. Asha is enjoying herself completely.
Shashikala on the screen is scaringly lascivious. I think one needs to
revisit NDG for this song now.

Cheers
Ritu

Asif

Jun 30, 2008, 11:37:45 AM6/30/08

Ritu:

I first visited your blog when you sent an invitational email to us in
our Google email boxes few weeks ago - and I enjoyed your writings.
But this one about RMIM really overwhelmed me with a thousand
feelings. Keep writing!

And yes tonight I am going to listen to Nau Do Gyarah album (after a
long time) and the Asha solo you mention. These days the lady luck
has been smiling on me, for I keep discovering gems after gems in my
music collection :-)

Asif

Ritu

Jun 30, 2008, 11:40:32 AM6/30/08

Thank you for your kind words Irfan Saab. As always, I admire everyone
of your generation and the passion with which you have pursued your
musical inclinations.

Warm Regards,
Ritu

vijay...@my-deja.com

Jun 30, 2008, 1:56:27 PM6/30/08

When putting together my recent list of personal Top 100, I
ran into a similar problem with respect to SDB's work -
especially with Dev Anand films. There are a number of films
with enjoyable, light-as-fluff songs. In my mind, they could
all be easily interchanged across the albums and none would
be out of place in any of them...I am not sure how many of
them deserve an "All Time Great" label. If one does, all do.
Or none does.

I put
Kala Bazar
Kala Pani
Nau do Gyarah
House # 44
Paying Guest
Munimji
Tere Ghar Ke Samne
Manzil
Funtoosh
Teen Deviyan
Jewel Thief
Bambai Ka Babu

in this category. The only songs that really stand out in
this lot are - Chand Phir Nikla & Phaili Hui hain ... All the
others are enjoyable without being outstanding, IMHO.

As someone cruelly said, like a Ricky Ponting innings -
not one great stroke, and he is already scored a 50.

Vijay

Ritu

Jun 30, 2008, 2:39:54 PM6/30/08
On Jun 30, 1:56 pm, "vijaykum...@my-deja.com" <vijaykum...@my-

Vijay,

If your assesement of a outstanding song is based on songs that have
depth (thought/emotion/experience) then one can agree with your
observation. However, if you agree that light, fluffy songs can also
be outstanding, then the argument does not have as much meat. The
soundtracks you mention have some of the most engaging peppy songs.
Esp. the SDB-Majrooh ones. I think the bright-eyed spiritedness in
those songs is uplifting. Whether it is witty repartee in the various
duets they attempted together or the carefree solos. I think it
requires more spirit to compose a light song that has flavour as
opposed to songs heavy with feeling and emotion. It is like whipping
up a good Soufflé. Light, fluffy, delicate and evolved.SDB excelled in
dishing out such gourmet fare.

Of the soundtracks you mention I can straight off mention some more
songs I find outstanding (though admittedly not in the category of
'Phaili hui hain'.. but that is a one of it's type song- terribly
inspired at all levels, no MD has a profusion of that kind of fare).

My very stingy list of outstanding songs

Chup hai dharti
Rimjhim ke tarane leke
Aie kaash chalte milke
Oh Nihagen Mastana
Chod do aanchal
Aakhon mein kya ji
Nain khoye khoye

All these songs will definitely count as outstanding songs in my book.
Chod do Aanchal is a classic fluff song. I think it is text book fare
on how to make a a song truly light and fluffy. The perfect
Soufflé :).

Cheers
Ritu

P.S Well, there you have got me out to SDB's defence after a long
time. All this after just claiming on saturday that I have grown out
of that stuff... sigh.. I guess we RMIMers will never grow up!

> As someone cruelly said, like a Ricky Ponting innings -
> not one great stroke, and he is already scored a 50.
>

> Vijay- Hide quoted text -

Ketan

Jun 30, 2008, 3:06:23 PM6/30/08
In article <abce13ec-aa09-4ea8...@j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
vijay...@my-deja.com says...

I think Ricky Ponting is not unhappy with this characterization. As far as he is
concerened he is doing very well in the single most important criteria used to
track the greatness of a batsman, i.e: the number of times he crosses 50 in an
innings. Why otherwise, you would have to agree with those historians who say
Victor Trumper was better than Bradman, never mind the small matter of a
difference of 60 in their career averages. Methinks, SDB (and I daresay OPN too)
would not have been unhappy with your classification of his music either.

Ketan