Lyrics request: Kabir's poem

Ramnath Prabhu

Apr 28, 2004, 8:42:30 AM4/28/04
Request the lyrics and meaning of Kabir's poem 'Jhini jhini
chadhariya'. I have heard two versions of this; one sung by Gundecha
Brothers and other by Anup Jalota. They look a bit different.

Thanks.
Ramnath Prabhu.

apache_indian

Apr 28, 2004, 4:57:34 PM4/28/04
ramnath...@hotmail.com (Ramnath Prabhu) wrote in message news:<4237a7c1.04042...@posting.google.com>...
---------------------------------

hi ramnath jee,

first of all, i am a newbie so please pardon me for any mistakes..

i have only heard anup jalota's version( in bhajan sandhya) which is
very much different from the actual composition.. he has "simplified"
the lyrics by kind of paraphrasing the actual words..the lyrics are as
follows..

jhinee jhinee binee chadariyaa

kahe kae taana, kaahe kae bharni, kaun sae taar sae binee chadariyaa,
ingla pingala taanaa bharni, sushman taar sae bhinee chadariyaa..

aath kanwal, das charkhaa dole, paanch tatt gun tinee chadariyaa,
saanyee ko siyat mas das laage, thok thok kae binee chadariyaa..

so chaadar sur nar muni odee, odee kae mailee keenee chadariyaa,
daas 'kabir' jatan sae odee, jyon ki tyon dhar denee chadariyaa..

i am writing from my office so can not write the whole meaning now..
do you need literal meaning of words or contextual import? are you a
hindi speaker?

hope the lyrics are of some help..

regards

Ramnath Prabhu

Apr 29, 2004, 12:32:21 AM4/29/04
Thanks a lot Apache_indian.

> do you need literal meaning of words or contextual import? are you a
> hindi speaker?

I would be grateful if you can provide both. I can understand and
communicate in Hindi very fluently though my mother tongue is not
Hindi. The Hindi used in this poem is old and I find it difficult ti
understand.

Thanks again.
Ramnath Prabhu.

apache_indian

Apr 29, 2004, 1:46:21 PM4/29/04
ramnath jee,

the translation is as follows.. it is a very coarse kind of effort as
kabir jee's poetry needs a few life times to understand (for my ilk..)

> jhinee jhinee binee chadariyaa
jhinee = very light, transparent
binee = to make
chadariyaa = chaadar or blanket..

> kahe kae taana, kaahe kae bharni, kaun sae taar sae binee chadariyaa,
> ingla pingala taanaa bharni, sushman taar sae bhinee chadariyaa..

taana = thread roll
bharni = charkha or charkha's spindle
taar = thread
ingla = ida
pingala = pingala
sushman = sushma

> aath kanwal, das charkhaa dole, paanch tatt gun tinee chadariyaa,
> saanyee ko siyat mas das laage, thok thok kae binee chadariyaa..

kanwal = lotus
tatt = elements like five elements
gun tinee = three gunas namely tamas, rajas and sattwa
saanyee = God
siyat = to sew
mas = month
thok thok = to make carefully

> so chaadar sur nar muni odee, odee kae mailee keenee chadariyaa,
> daas 'kabir' jatan sae odee, jyon ki tyon dhar denee chadariyaa..

sur nar muni = gods, humans, saints(or sadhus)
mailee = to make dirty
jatan = with caution
jyon ki tyon = as it was

in the above poem kabir jee is describing the subtle and gross
composition of human body using the rural imagery of charkha-taana (or
weaving eqipments, he himself was a julaha or a weaver by
profession..) the imagery might be rural but the philosophy that he is
expounding is vedantic in nature.. before i do a rough translation, i
would like you to take a look at what ida, pingala and sushma actually
mean.. who better than swami vivekananda to explain it.. the link is
http://www.ramakrishnavivekananda.info/vivekananda/complete_works.htm
the translation is:

what kind of roll-of-thread, what kind of charkha, what kind of thread
is this blanket(body) made of?,
ida is the taana, pingala is the charkha and sushma is the thread of
which it is made of..

this blanket(body) is made of five elements, three gunas, eight
lotuses and ten charkhas(the article mentions the lotuses etc.),
God took about 10 months to form it and he did so very carefullly..

that blanket was worn by gods, humans and sages and became soiled,
this servant 'kabir' has worn it with great caution and left it
unsoiled..

the "real meaning" of the above is different to different people and
you will discover one to your taste i am sure...

hope that helped

regards

Manohar Bodas

Apr 29, 2004, 10:45:56 PM4/29/04
chilli...@yahoo.com (apache_indian) wrote in message news:<8c404740.04042...@posting.google.com>...
> ramnath jee,

Kumar also used to sing the same Bhajan. I have the live recording of
it. It is really wonderful

MB

Lalitha Swaminathan

Apr 30, 2004, 9:16:39 AM4/30/04
Just FYI:

A few years ago, a well established Kuchiudi dancer, Ms. Nilimma Devi in
Maryland, approached me (singer & nattuvangam artist) with the lyrics of
Jeeni Beeni and a very bad rendering of the song by some unknown singer.
She wanted to choreograph this piece for a show in Kennedy Center called
Silk Road. There would be several dances by different Asian countries
depicting the movement of Silk through these countries.

From India, she was going to do Jeeni Beeni in Kuchipudi style.

As a first attempt at putting music to the lyrics, I managed to set it to
Vaasanthi ragam - which is Mohanam with lower Dha. Very beautiful ragam -
many South Indian musicians including Lalgudi Jayaraman have made songs in
this ragam recently.

This piece blended extremely well into the thematic show and Nilimma's
explanation of the meaning was well received.

We added some Kuchipudi jathis, etc. The song and dance was quite a hit and
we have performed it many times for Asian festivals.

This posting brought back memories of these events.

Lalitha Swaminathan

"Ramnath Prabhu" <ramnath...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Arun Iyengar

May 3, 2004, 3:17:32 PM5/3/04
"Ramnath Prabhu" <ramnath...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Request the lyrics and meaning of Kabir's poem 'Jhini jhini
> chadhariya'. I have heard two versions of this; one sung by Gundecha
> Brothers and other by Anup Jalota. They look a bit different.

Lata has sung this song as well in her Meera Soor Kabira album

(Remove 999 to reply)