Mandir dekh dare

MAUSAM

May 25, 2004, 6:25:11 PM5/25/04
Can someone post the lyrics of Mandir dekh dare - patiala cheez in
Malkauns. This is what I could gather after listening to Ajoy.

Mandar dekh dare Sudama
???
???

ek taraf to haathi jhulat hain
???
ek taraf shivji bhi baithe
heere ratan jade.

Thanks
Mausam

Abhik Majumdar

May 26, 2004, 9:31:30 AM5/26/04
>Can someone post the lyrics of Mandir dekh dare - patiala cheez in
>Malkauns.

This is from Malti Gilani's recent bio of the maestro:

Sthayi:

mandar dekh Dare sudAmA
yA to atI morI vAm manRaiyA
kaun bhUp utare, sudAmA

Antara:

ek taraf hAthI jhUlat hai
dUje asab khaRe
ek taraf shivjI baithe
hIre ratan jaRe

I have used the capital 'R' to indicate the heavy 'r' usually denoted
by
a 'd' (as in khilAdi). Similarly, the two 'd's in 'dAnt' and "damaru'
are
denoted by 'd' and 'D' respectively.

Abhik

abhik.majumdar at b i g f o o t dot c o m (remove extra spaces)

Town Crier

May 26, 2004, 11:06:16 AM5/26/04
Beautiful record of Bade Ghulam Ali Khan's. It describes Sudama
coming home after meeting Krishna in Dwaraka, to what used to be
his dilapidated hut, and has been transformed without his
knowledge to a grand palace. If you hear it again with that
story in mind you'll probably get all the words.

DG

apache_indian

May 26, 2004, 11:21:34 AM5/26/04
Hi Mausam,

The lyrics are as following..(I got them from our Abhik Majumndar)..

Sthayi:

mandar dekh Dare sudAmA
yA to atI morI vAm manRaiyA
kaun bhUp utare, sudAmA

Antara:

ek taraf hAthI jhUlat hai
dUje asab khaRe
ek taraf shivjI baithe
hIre ratan jaRe

I hope that it is of some help..

Apache

MAUSAM

May 27, 2004, 1:25:50 PM5/27/04
Thanks Abhik.

Do you know what "vAm, manraiya, bhUp" mean?

Mausam

naniwadekar

May 27, 2004, 2:24:57 PM5/27/04

"MAUSAM" <mau...@cs.washington.edu> wrote -

> Do you know what "vAm, manraiya, bhUp" mean?

Bhoop = King. (Bhoo-paal, Bhoo-pati)

'vaam' means left-side. vaam-marg means lesser/evil/corrupt
ways since Hindus often associate 'left-side' with ass-washing
left-hand. 'vaamaangii' means wife, the one who stands
to her man's left (and is sometimes treated like dirt though
Newton's law may make itself felt to the right side of the
equation by way of reaction). In Bade Ghulam's context,
the word might mean 'lesser'. 'vaam manraiya' perhaps means
my smallish huT 'yahaaN se haT gayii' .

If it is 'kaun bhoop utare', he is perhaps wondering which
king has come over there. If it is 'kaun bhoop utaare', it
could mean 'which authority took down the hut'. Sudama
should have got his locality renamed Sonia Nagar or Rajeev
Nagar. It is a standard trick used by slum-dwellers to ensure
that authorities don't disturb their il/legal encroachment.

All mere guesswork, of course.

- dn

Manohar Bodas

May 27, 2004, 9:15:47 PM5/27/04
"naniwadekar" <nani3...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2hmq2iF...@uni-berlin.de>...

> "MAUSAM" <mau...@cs.washington.edu> wrote -
> >
> > Do you know what "vAm, manraiya, bhUp" mean?
> >

> Bhoop = King. (Bhoo-paal, Bhoo-pati)
>
> 'vaam' means left-side. vaam-marg means lesser/evil/corrupt
> ways since Hindus often associate 'left-side' with ass-washing
> left-hand. 'vaamaangii' means wife, the one who stands

Oh yes you are right Dhenuvallbh. That is why you are called Left hand of ......

you know who... You do a good job.

MB

Town Crier

May 28, 2004, 1:12:37 PM5/28/04
All right, let me have a go at deciphering those words...

a.maj...@mailinator.com (Abhik Majumdar) wrote in message news:<40b49bd2...@news.f.de.plusline.net>...

> Sthayi:
>
> mandar dekh Dare sudAmA
> yA to atI morI vAm manRaiyA

probably yAn = yahAn = here
hatI = was

the vAm that drew so much reaction could also have been bAm =
1. upper storey
2. terrace
3. balcony,
suggesting the walls were nonexistant or broken?? wild guess.

manRaiyA is of course hut

> kaun bhUp utare, sudAmA

probably utaare = took down

> Antara:
>
> ek taraf hAthI jhUlat hai
> dUje asab khaRe

asab = ashva = horse(s)

> ek taraf shivjI baithe

got me! not beyond miscievous Krishna, of course, to install an idol
of Shiva to divert suspicion, as it were, but I would have expected
a mention of occupants - his wife and children in fine clothes and
jewellery, or of servants bustling about, at this point. The next line

> hIre ratan jaRe

also fits that theory. So what is this mysterious line in the middle?
Anyone?

DG

raina.s...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2019, 10:07:58 PM3/30/19
Can someone please share the link to audio or video of mandir dekh by Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan.
Thank you

raina.s...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2019, 12:14:56 PM4/1/19
I found a link to a streaming audio file at Hungama.com . The album is called golden milestones.
Bye

Suvomoy Chakraborty

Apr 2, 2019, 4:31:54 PM4/2/19

Found it from link: http://sarod.com.au/2010/10/

Though above discussions said it all.

Sthayi:
mandar dekh Dare sudAmA (Sudama is fearful on seeing the temple(palace),Remember Sudama became friends with powerful Krishna due to his devotion only, apart from his devotion, he had nothing in his life. Visualize him trembling with fear at the seer sight of this palatial building and then compare Khan sahebs trebles and nuances at this juncture. Probably Bibhatsa Rasa)
yA to atI morI vAm manRaiyA (my humble hut -where is it, Natural reaction is that his little dwelling has been lost. Sudden spat of Karuna Rasa)
kaun bhUp utare, sudAmA (which king has arrived here -or- which king decided to bring down my hut)

Antara:
ek taraf hAthI jhUlat hai (on one side there are elephants, This should be interpreted as arches bedecked with elephant sculptures. The trunk of the elephant either holding the upper floor or creating the pivot of the arch. Elephants cannot hang from sky)
dUje asab khaRe (horses on the other side,)
ek taraf shivjI baithe (on one side is Lord Shiva, this justifies the mandar, earthly abodes of gods are considered mandir aka temple. So, the building seems to be a temple to Sudama)
hIre ratan jaRe (decked in diamonds and other gems)

The unique change of rasas make this bandish beautiful. Strange part is Krishna putting up a Shiva idol. Krishna is an avatar of Vishnu, and Vishnavaites once fought hard with Shivaites. The ethereal beauty of Indian Classical goes beyond manmade fallacies and creates a strong link between the two gods, who are nothing but human imaginations of two different qualities. So a mix of these two different rasas are two be displayed while singing this bandish.