aiiiight, bet...

1 view

Donnie H. Kwak

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

whatever happened to that dude who printed the slang dictionary? did
anyone read that shit?

anyway, since moving to the big apple, i've had much closer contact to the
evolution of slang, vernacular, whatever... and as a pseudo-linguist, it
always amazes me how quickly words grow in popularity, then get played,
then get replaced. here's some current nyc lingo, and add any shit
(regional or otherwise) that i don't know:

"what happened?" - is a subsitute for the simple question "what?". mad
people say this, not even hip-hop-related.

example: Fred: What time is it, Joe?
Joe: What happened?
Fred: What time is it?
Joe: Five o'clock, b.

"aight, bet" - has been around for awhile. my man says it all the time,
like: ME: Meet me at the store at two?
HIM: Aight, bet.
ME: You gonna bring those promos?
HIM: Bet.

"you heard?" - this is the new developing slang phrase. it means what it
says, but it is intended to add emphasis, to indicate that whatever
preceded it is important. In other words, it doesn't necessarily imply
that who you are speaking to didn't hear what you just said, it means that
what you just said is important.

Ex: ME: Yo, I just saw the new Canibus video, son. You heard?
HIM: Oh, word?
ME: Yea, that shit is hot, kid. It's got this ill camera work... you
heard?
HIM: Word?

There's a new Jay-Z cut that has a chorus centering around this phrase.

"cut me down"/"bust me down" - means "let's share that cigarette". can't
tell you how many times i've been told this.

"blaze" - this word is really getting old. just a few months ago,
everybody was talkin' bout "that joint is john blaze, son". now, i most
often hear this word in reference to fornication.

ex: Joe: Son, i went up to her crib and blazed her, b. You heard?
Fred: Naw, word?
Joe: Son... I blazed her right on her bed, kid. You heard?

"i'm a eat your food" - any cali heads, correct me if i'm wrong.... this
phrase evolved as more bloods and crips began popping up in the n-y. i'm
told this phrase means "i'm a slice your face". i heard one dude call
up and say it to the host of this public access call-in talk show, and
homeboy got real quiet and serious. before, heads used to say "i'm a give
you a buck-fifty", for 150 stitches. now, they gonna "eat your food".
whateva, man.

Maseo27

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

With the excepiton of "i'm a eat your food" and " john Blaze", I been sayin all
those as long as I can remember, and I'm from LI.
The GoldenChild

"I got rhymes to make your whole head swell up.
Here's and Ice-pack, Homeboy, Shut the hell up"--Erick Sermon

"From Brentwood to San Quentin, I'ma keep rhymin, and still
representin"--Parish Smith

Maseo27

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

>When I first moved to NYC in May "yo" was being used as
>a noun, kinda...like "kid" or "son"
>
>Wilma: Yeah, yo, we went to the Soul Cafe and there were mad shorties
>(just recently have noticed the use of this to refer to males) with nuff
>loot.
>
>Betty: Word, yo?

I still say that. I try to minimize my use of the word yo, but i cant. I
think this is my favoite word in the english language. I must say "na, yo!" or
"for real. yo!" about 50 times a day. Bad habit.

>Thanks for the info, now I know why I kept getting dissed in Nell's.
>
>guy: "hey, could you cut me down, cutie"
>
>me: "You stupid stinking sack of turds! You go to hell...you go to hell
>and you die!"
>
>guy: "Okay, thanks sis"

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

quest19...@webtv.net

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98
Transcending history, 1985 leads

B. Ridge

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

On 10 Mar 1998, Donnie H. Kwak wrote:

> whatever happened to that dude who printed the slang dictionary? did
> anyone read that shit?

Hell yea! I didn't know what "switches" meant till I looked it up in
that dictionary.

> anyway, since moving to the big apple, i've had much closer contact to the
> evolution of slang, vernacular, whatever... and as a pseudo-linguist, it
> always amazes me how quickly words grow in popularity, then get played,
> then get replaced. here's some current nyc lingo, and add any shit
> (regional or otherwise) that i don't know:
>

> "aight, bet" - has been around for awhile. my man says it all the time,
> like: ME: Meet me at the store at two?
> HIM: Aight, bet.
> ME: You gonna bring those promos?
> HIM: Bet.

Funny you should mention that. I was teaching my Korean teacher the
use of "aight." She couldn't pronounce it well, but I think she got the
meaning; she told me not to say it to her:)

As to the rest, can't say I've heard them.

Aight? Coo...

Bridge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brian Ridge~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If a man is walking alone in the forest and he's talking, but a woman
is not there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Anonymous
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~http://weber.u.washington.edu/~bridge1/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Richard D. Allen

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Re; "What happened? in place of what?"

Down here in the Old North people say "do what now?" instead of
"what?" especially those from eastern NC. This is no recent thing;
middle-aged/old people say it as much as the kids.

me: "blah blah"

you: "deWHUTnow?"

me: "huh?"

you: "Whd yew saiy?"

me: "come again?"

you: "deWHUTnow?"

--

Richard Allen

aug...@email.unc.edu

Steve S. Jackson

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

I laughed out loud when I read this...

Richard D. Allen (aug...@email.unc.edu) wrote:
:
: Re; "What happened? in place of what?"

:

--

Brought to you by:
--

"I've never seen anything THIS beautiful in the entire galaxy! Okay, give
me the bomb."

sjac...@thunder.temple.edu*|*jiggyj...@freeyellow.com

http://thunder.ocis.temple.edu/~sjackson...sign my guestbook!!! please:)

Official I-Phunk Homepage:
http://thunder.ocis.temple.edu/~sjackson/iph.html

Smoove Entertainment Services: Hip-Hop Management and Artist Development
http://www.freeyellow.com/members/jiggyjazzman/index.html

And the letter Q.

Steve S. Jackson

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

angela (ani...@mail2.sas.upenn.edu) wrote:
: x-no-archive: yes

: Donnie H. Kwak (dhk...@is3.nyu.edu) wrote:
: : whatever happened to that dude who printed the slang dictionary? did
: : anyone read that shit?
:
: I think he died when OT's gat accidentally went off while posting. I
: saw the bullet bounce off my monitor, but I ducked. (joke joke joke)

So that was that loud Booyakaaaa I heard in Jersey yesterday...

:
: : anyway, since moving to the big apple, i've had much closer contact to the

: : evolution of slang, vernacular, whatever... and as a pseudo-linguist, it

:
: I have no spell check on my newsreader, so please don't make fun of any
: more of my typos.
:
: Yeah, it's funny...I think Philly gets words from NYC about a month after
: they start there. When I first moved to NYC in May "yo" was being used as

: a noun, kinda...like "kid" or "son"

I thought Philadelphians created yo and as it spread it just evolved into
mad usage and differences and all that. Yahmean?

:
: Wilma: Yeah, yo, we went to the Soul Cafe and there were mad shorties

: (just recently have noticed the use of this to refer to males) with nuff
: loot.
:
: Betty: Word, yo?
:

: I have only heard a few people in Philly say this.

True dat, yo. But ona real, we been sayin' that for decades, shun. Yeah,
god... word.... sorry, been hangin' round NY folk a bit lately...

On a slighlty related note, I was pleased to hear an old head say jawn on
Monday. Boi was like 60 and he was like yeah, we just came from out the
jawn. How old is that word?

and related to the original post (I saw one I saw one!!!!!), What
happened has just started growing on me and aiiight, bet (or just bet)
has been around for quick minute (NY slang for any long period of time).
Still wondering why my girl down in TX didn't know what I meant when i
told her I wrighed like 150 lbs and some change. Am I the only person
who still uses that phrase?

: :) : -- : http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~anissel
:
: "I am hot dorks!" - Steve Jackson