Takin it back B/W BEEF

Steve Jackson

Aug 8, 2001, 9:19:02 AM8/8/01
First off, I've been listening to some older hip-hop lately. Not old
school (at least not to me, because this was during my high school years)
but about a decade old. I was listening to Tribe's "Low End Theory"
yesterday and heard Scenario for the first time in a quick minute. And I
started wondering: what made this jawn so hype? I mean really. This jawn
was and still is off the hook (that's the first time I've used that
phrase, it's officially old now). Was it just the energy of the track,
the drums and the simple bass line (strangely, has anyone noticed how
cats have sampled Scenario's I & II)? Was it Busta's verse only? Was it
just the track as a whole? I still remember all the lines. Then I
started thinking of the Scenario remix and was like yo, that jawn was
just as good.

That got me to thinking of some other jawns I've been listening to recently:

Pete Rock and CL Smooth's "Creator" remix-- who wasn't amped off this jawn?
Lords of the Underground-- "Psycho" and "Funky Child"
Method Man-- "Bring the Pain" how can a song be hype when the MC isn't
screaming and the music is crazy dark?
the Roots feat. Bahamadia-- "Proceed III" and "Proceed V" (the latter
produced by AJ Shine)
OutKast-- Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (the whole dern lp)

These jawns were ill. Hell, i was even listening to PM Dawn this morning
and I realized now how comical the character in Fear of a Black hat was.
I listened to PM Dawn faithfully in high school and listening to their
first lp, I just thouhgt on how that cat in FOABH was just comical
because it was so accurate.

"If You Take the Bus, You Get There."

"You understand this muthf***a?"

I can't front, though. Listening to their first jawn, their beats were
kinda nice.

Now, what's beef?:)

I don't know about anyone else, but yo, I'm kinda glad to see beef in
hip-hop again. Cats really need to battle more because skill levels are
sharply dropping. The LL Canibus thing was fly but it died quickly, then
it was Caniubs and Wyclef to which Wyclef had an interesting diss on
Ecleftic but it probably wasn't effective. I like the Jay-Z versus
everyone and they mom's beef. Cat's need to bring it. Leave the guns
and knives at home (hehe.. knife and Jay-Z.. get it?hehe) and bring the
lyrics.

I think with the comments Daz and Kurupt made in some publication (why
can't I remember where I read that jawn), it'd be intersting to see who
they're gonna work with ever again. They sounded like they werne't
thrilled with Dre and Snoop, or anyone on Deathrow either. I can't
remember what they said about Roc-A-Fella but it sounded like those are
the only cats they'll roll with right now.

--
Steve S. Jackson "Jazz"
(Poet, Philosopher, Instrumentalist, Video Documentarian, Techno-cynic,

s...@astro.temple.edu*|*sjac...@nimbus.temple.edu

http://thunder.temple.edu/~ssj

RIP Dale Earnhardt, Sr.

"We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but
not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not
destroyed."
--II Corinthians 4: 8,9

$trategy Incarnate

Aug 8, 2001, 3:22:38 PM8/8/01
Steve Jackson <s...@typhoon.ocis.temple.edu> wrote in message news:<9kre86$qgv$1...@cronkite.temple.edu>...

> First off, I've been listening to some older hip-hop lately. Not old
> school (at least not to me, because this was during my high school years)
> but about a decade old.

yeah, these kids crack me up sometimes...

on that note, I truly believe eras should not be "upgraded" just
because the genre's age has increased dramatically. Technically, Run
DMC isn't even old-school (imo), but I'd find that statement a whole
lot less faulty than calling NWA old school...

I was listening to Tribe's "Low End Theory"
> yesterday and heard Scenario for the first time in a quick minute. And I
> started wondering: what made this jawn so hype? I mean really. This jawn
> was and still is off the hook (that's the first time I've used that
> phrase, it's officially old now).

I said "dun" for the first time the other day on here, but it was said
semi-mockingly (not towards the person, just inasmuch as *I* was
saying it)

and on that note, I wince just a tiny bit when you philly cats use
"jawn" on here, only because I heard it once "around here" and it
kinda hurt my ears. If one of my friends said it, I'd make fun of
them for the rest of their lives. You know what I'm saying right?
The same way if I walked around calling everyone "dun" it would be
hella funny...

Was it just the energy of the track,
> the drums and the simple bass line (strangely, has anyone noticed how
> cats have sampled Scenario's I & II)? Was it Busta's verse only? Was it
> just the track as a whole? I still remember all the lines. Then I
> started thinking of the Scenario remix and was like yo, that jawn was
> just as good.

It was all that

1. the beat hits you, innovative catchy/hooky, etc.
2. rappers start coming in, all of them nice
3. just when you think you got the track figured out and relax in
your seat a bit, Busta comes in and freaks that shit

> That got me to thinking of some other jawns I've been listening to recently:
>
> Pete Rock and CL Smooth's "Creator" remix-- who wasn't amped off this jawn?
> Lords of the Underground-- "Psycho" and "Funky Child"

LOTUG, kings of the singles.

that's the reasont i almost didn't buy there album, I had half of it

> Method Man-- "Bring the Pain" how can a song be hype when the MC isn't
> screaming and the music is crazy dark?

("hmmmmm-mmmmmm........hmmmmm-mmmmmm")

that album also had the song with that "Rocky IV" shit and that other
one that samples the dungeon level of Super Mario Bros.

> the Roots feat. Bahamadia-- "Proceed III" and "Proceed V" (the latter
> produced by AJ Shine)
> OutKast-- Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (the whole dern lp)

I didn't love the outkast, but I loved all that Caddy shit they were
kickin'

> These jawns were ill. Hell, i was even listening to PM Dawn this morning

hey, we all have skeletons in our closets...

> and I realized now how comical the character in Fear of a Black hat was.
> I listened to PM Dawn faithfully in high school and listening to their
> first lp, I just thouhgt on how that cat in FOABH was just comical
> because it was so accurate.
>
> "If You Take the Bus, You Get There."

> "You understand this muthf***a?"

"oh, YEAH!, he's deep..."

> I can't front, though. Listening to their first jawn, their beats were
> kinda nice.

I liked it better when it was called "Paid In Full" by EBAR :)

actually, I never heard their album, and it's not like they didn't do
something different with the beat, it's just LAME that they would
snatch it off "Paid In Full" and not even be aware of the original
break (they admitted as much in an interview, IIRC)

> Now, what's beef?:)
>
> I don't know about anyone else, but yo, I'm kinda glad to see beef in
> hip-hop again. Cats really need to battle more because skill levels are
> sharply dropping. The LL Canibus thing was fly but it died quickly, then
> it was Caniubs and Wyclef to which Wyclef had an interesting diss on
> Ecleftic but it probably wasn't effective. I like the Jay-Z versus
> everyone and they mom's beef. Cat's need to bring it. Leave the guns
> and knives at home (hehe.. knife and Jay-Z.. get it?hehe) and bring the
> lyrics.

exactly, asuming this can be done (the leaving 'um at home part), I'm
with you

STRATEGY

Steve Jackson

Aug 8, 2001, 5:00:00 PM8/8/01
$trategy Incarnate <stra...@aol.com> wrote:
> Steve Jackson <s...@typhoon.ocis.temple.edu> wrote in message news:<9kre86$qgv$1...@cronkite.temple.edu>...

> I was listening to Tribe's "Low End Theory"

>> yesterday and heard Scenario for the first time in a quick minute. And I
>> started wondering: what made this jawn so hype? I mean really. This jawn
>> was and still is off the hook (that's the first time I've used that
>> phrase, it's officially old now).

> I said "dun" for the first time the other day on here, but it was said
> semi-mockingly (not towards the person, just inasmuch as *I* was
> saying it)

I tend to use slang that's at least 5 years old. And that's the first
time I start using it.

> and on that note, I wince just a tiny bit when you philly cats use
> "jawn" on here, only because I heard it once "around here" and it
> kinda hurt my ears. If one of my friends said it, I'd make fun of
> them for the rest of their lives. You know what I'm saying right?
> The same way if I walked around calling everyone "dun" it would be
> hella funny...

That's okay 'cause no one out here says hella and even though I don't
think folk would notice, you'd have maybe one person say "what's a
hella?" Vut hey, it's an Illadel thang. YOu can't really stop saying it.

>> Method Man-- "Bring the Pain" how can a song be hype when the MC isn't
>> screaming and the music is crazy dark?

> ("hmmmmm-mmmmmm........hmmmmm-mmmmmm")

> that album also had the song with that "Rocky IV" shit and that other
> one that samples the dungeon level of Super Mario Bros.

Yeah, I never remember the name of the song with the "Rocky IV" sample.

>> the Roots feat. Bahamadia-- "Proceed III" and "Proceed V" (the latter
>> produced by AJ Shine)
>> OutKast-- Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (the whole dern lp)
>>

> I didn't love the outkast, but I loved all that Caddy shit they were
> kickin'

Well, Big Rube said "...if ya thank it's all about pimpin' hoes and slammin
cadillac does, you probably a cracka, or a n***a that thank he a crack,
or maybe just don't understand." Sometimes I wonder just how much a
person changes in this industry when they get about 4 records deep.

> I liked it better when it was called "Paid In Full" by EBAR :)

> actually, I never heard their album, and it's not like they didn't do
> something different with the beat, it's just LAME that they would
> snatch it off "Paid In Full" and not even be aware of the original
> break (they admitted as much in an interview, IIRC)

Hey, nobody's perfect.:)

*thinking about, but not listening to" Ice Cube's "Steady Mobbin'"

$trategy Incarnate

Aug 10, 2001, 3:29:26 AM8/10/01
Steve Jackson <s...@typhoon.ocis.temple.edu> wrote in message news:<9ks98g$27a$1...@cronkite.temple.edu>...

> $trategy Incarnate <stra...@aol.com> wrote:
> > Steve Jackson <s...@typhoon.ocis.temple.edu> wrote in message news:<9kre86$qgv$1...@cronkite.temple.edu>...

(snip)

> >> OutKast-- Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (the whole dern lp)
> >>

> > I didn't love the outkast, but I loved all that Caddy shit they were
> > kickin'
>
> Well, Big Rube said "...if ya thank it's all about pimpin' hoes and slammin
> cadillac does, you probably a cracka, or a n***a that thank he a crack,
> or maybe just don't understand." Sometimes I wonder just how much a
> person changes in this industry when they get about 4 records deep.

Good god, I just stepped in shit on that one...

Do you think he was talking about me??

Did you send me your address, or did you miss that post? Google is fucked up...

STRATEGY

Steve Jackson

Aug 10, 2001, 11:11:04 PM8/10/01
I saw the post and I sent you my address. Check again before I send it
again.