KRS-ONE Spiritual Minded Review

Patrick Whittemore

Jan 22, 2002, 9:30:47 PM1/22/02
I have to say I was skeptical. I am probably one of
Kris' biggest fans but when I heard that he was coming
out with a gospel tinged album I really didn't think he
could pull it off. I've never been happier to be wrong.
First off, for those that question this turn remember KRS
has always stated that Jesus was an African, and to
embody Christ's ideals. Heck, Kris is an admitted
theologian and even his name comes from being a Hare
Krishna when he was young. Nevertheless, my own
feelings surrounding God have always closely reflected
the 1990 KRS that said "God is self". Well that message
really hasn't changed on this his 10th album.

Let me let him say it for himself for those still with doubts,
"I know what y'all thinking, KRS-ONE, doing gospel rap,
say word son, word sonny, we don't spit verbs for money,
some of these churches be absurd and funny, everything I
said in the past I still spit that, songs like The Truth, Higher
Level and Why is That, I give back quick facts, but when I
say God created Hip Hop many churches won't admit that"
This album is almost one 70 minute hip hop quotable so I'm
going to be hard pressed to keep this review short.

Another thing to say at the outset is that this is really the
album that Kris was talking about when he said he wanted
to make music for adults. Production wise and lyric wise it's
a soothing experience, albeit mixed with the boom bap. This
may truly be one of KRS' most consistent albums from start
to finish. It's just too bad that it is by far his most quiet
release in terms of publicity. Here's a track by track review.

Lord Live Within My Heart - This starts with a choir singing
and then the old boom bap hits for what Kris has dubbed urban
inspirational music. In essence it's really a braggadocia rhyme
as Kris stakes his territory out once again in the hip hop game.
"I'm not really concerned how the Benz just turn, round the
corner for our sons and daughters to yearn, stand firm, if you
looking at these hooks you becoming a man-worm, dangling
from the pole of the fisher, the corporate fisher, the talent
scout, and no doubt ready to get you".

Take your Tyme - This one goes out to the women. Telling
them to slow down sexually. "There's no such thing as make
love, it's really make life". This one has a female choir on the
chorus. I think he goes a little far with this one and says a few
things I don't agree with but overall it's a good message of self
respect.

Take it to God - A slinky, funky beat to this one. "Rappers
tired of me saying where hip hoppers at, cuz they know
they unoriginal copycats...tv is wack, they want to show us
beating Iraq, when the question is where Chandra Levy at?"

Good Bye - A beautiful track, featuring a long forgotten
instrument in hip hop, the saxophone. This is a dedication
to all those who have passed away. "There was a time
when hip hop was on our mind, it wasn't about no crime,
just reality rhymes, if you battled me fine, but in the end
we'd recline, with a bottle of wine, MC's, the original kind"

South Bronx 2002 - Basically the same chorus as the classic.
"Do what you gotta do, but while you waving flags, remember
Am-a-dou, Diallo, here's what we gotta do, follow, I'll put hip
hop in you if you hollow, those that already filled still take
swallows" More quotables, "you know the radio's late, you
know they play what you hate, that's why you got that Kay
Slay tape trying to skate" One of my favourites is this, "you
can spend your money on drugs and still be stressed, look
around for conscious rappers yo there ain't none left, I'm
holding it down, better yet I'm holding it up, waiting for some
young buck to come and sip from the cup, and continue with
the menu putting new knowledge in you" Amen, hopefully it
won't be a long wait.

Never Give Up - A hip hop first I think. This song produced
by Domingo samples a Cantonese chant on the chorus which
is translated in the liners. It sounds fresh.

Tears - Dedicated to 9/11. This could be a great single if
this album will even have one. Amazing lyrics and fitting
somber, yet hopeful production. Quotes for days and days.
"Sadness comes from a lack of knowing, not knowing, where
the one that you love is going, we're all going to reap what
we all are sowing, there is no death just constant growing,
we can't stay here forever, we all gotta go to a place we
believe is better, so why be sad, why be mad, now you can
see it ain't about the cheddar, it's all about the time that
we spend together, not the rhyme, or the crime or the Gucci
sweater, the house that's built on a rock can stand the
weather, faith can stand the weather, but is your house upon
the rock, or is it on sand and about to drop? here is the
question that you've got to ask, do I live for today or do I
live for the past?" And that's just part of the first verse.
I can't stop quoting or I'll feel like I'm doing you a disservice.
"But the Republicans put themselves up above again,
looking for blood again, hate, no love again, got them soldiers
running in, with a gun again, with a ton of sin, in a holy war
how we gonna win, I think it's time for KRS-ONE again".

The Struggle Continues - Featuring T-Bone. This starts
off with some Spanish rapping. "Rhyme is about the only
way I'm heard, and that's absurd in a democracy, that's
why these cops be stopping me, it's hypocrisy, the whole
society is corrupt and greedy, we give to the rich and lock
up the needy". The unbelievable lyricism just won't quit.
"Let me take you back to 1-9-7-0, 1970, Vietnam War
yo, heroin all in the streets, Cointelpro, did anybody really
care about us, hell no, the original plan was for us to just
die, or get incarcerated well the rest of us just stay high,
let me tell you about rejection in the worst of ways, in
the 70's we were treated worse than slaves, 1974, there
was no law, it was mass genocide for the blacks and
the poor, all we had was a dream to be free, and a
strategy called hip hop, I'll battle you, you battle me,
no cash, no cheques, we battle for free, and when we
battle for free people rally to see, and through that charity
we got to charge them a fee, now you on MTV, counting
up G's"

The Conscious Rapper - KRS is the conscious rapper
personified and he uses this track to discuss just how
hard that is. "Can you rock for the love of the art, can
you drop hit after hit after hit and still don't chart, can
you really stay loyal to God when you're life is full of
strife, plus it always seems so hard, can you handle
the criticism, people holding you up to higher standards
but they don't live em, can you hear these kiddy flows
and laugh at them, but when you spit they calling you
arrogant, you better think about that before you rock
to this, sometimes it's easier to pop the Cris"

Trust - Smooth beat. Fast flow. More dope lyrics.
"Trust in the inner, the outer is for the sinners, in fact
this whole rap is for beginners, those that have talked
and walked upon the path, know that they get what
they want before they ask, so why rush, if your respect
is due, whatever you don't have is protecting you, it's
what you do have that be bringing the drama, ask and
it shall be given, with a comma" He's saying to trust
your god, whoever she or he may be. One interesting
line for KRS the scholar is the following, "So if you
think your life is shrinking, it may because you keep
thinking, not that intellect is wrong, it's just the
beginning, it might be time to move on"

Come to the Temple - This song came out a few years
ago and features Smooth B. Rampage, Rah Goddess and
Fat Joe. I think it's a remixed beat but it still doesn't
really fit the feel of this album very well. Still some gems.

Ain't Ready - Wow, this starts off with some phat guitars
and then some heavy scratching, done by Kris himself. Here
KRS makes his position on spiritually more clear with these
lines, "greedy, I'm not that, you needy for that shock rap,
slangin' on the block rap, duckin' where the cops at, I don't
knock that, but Jesus done topped that, not that man on the
cross, it ain't like that, you must ACT like the son of God,
that's where the lights at, stop reading only and start being,
show me" "You got gospel artists still trying to chase that
loot, here the truth now, I come to enhance the light, they
women of God singing while they pants is tight, they not hot,
really they reg-ular, they clothes, they flows, all that se-cular,
what's the difference, I could stay in the world and wild, if
these church girls wear more makeup than Destiny's Child,
keep it real Christians, some of y'all listening ain't liking,
this is the difference between a Christian and a Christ-ian"

God is Spirit - Feat BB Jay. No word of a lie, this could be a
club banger. It's almost Neptunes-ish. "Many say they
would like to see a better day, but when the conscious album
drops they all jet away" Tine-Tim ends the track off with a
great little turntabilism display.

Know Thy Self - Another Domingo cut. Again the chorus
sums up the spiritual theme, "Know thyself, and thou shalt
know, the universe and God, wo-o-oh" Kris outlines why
God is self and how you know when you've achieved that
state. "To all my true hip hoppas, who pay bills and live
proper, never allow a negative thought to stop ya, correct
your posture, stand upright, not uptight, don't be scared of
the light, just be prepared for the fight, we say criminal
minded because our thoughts are illegal, we represent the
very thinking of inner city people, real people, people that
take care of themself, they need health, love, awareness
and wealth, not to mention, knowledge of God, not college,
then job, then dead, if you agree, nod your head" Nuff said.

Dayz Ahead - Very funky beat here, with staggered keys.
This deals with society in the aftermath of the terrorist
attacks. Check this out, "we all in the same gang, it's
that World Bank gang that got struck with two planes,
but we, yes the people, are struck with true pain, cuz the
world bank will do the same under a new name" That's
conscious rap.

Power - This is what I feared this whole album would be like.
It's a gospel singer crooning for three minutes and a twenty
second rap at the end. Thankfully it's the only one of its type.

So what can I say. This album definitely has a spiritual/gospel
focus but it also is so much more than that as you can hopefully
see. With the new independent KRS you know what to expect,
incredible rhymes, self produced tracks and new and captivating
ways to express complex ideas simply. In addition to that, unlike
the Sneak Attack which was more boom bap oriented, this one
is smoother and more introspective. If anyone can prove the
power of the word it is KRS-ONE. Spiritual Minded is not for
everyone but if you've read this far I think it's for you.

Patrick

locdogjr

Jan 23, 2002, 6:14:13 AM1/23/02
very nice review,

upon the first few skim throughs I was almost scared to listen to this
album.
While reading your review I started to really listen and I really have
changed my first opinion. its nice to see a "reputable" rapper making
christian hip-hop. KRS really is one of the tops lyricists and mcs in the
game. I have yet to hear something from BB Jay I don't like either,
although I have heard very songs.

My only true gripe is that the beats aren't always all that nasty.
Oh, and KRS's temple of hip-hop sounds like a cult.
nice review,
everyone should peep it and actually listen to it.

peace,
locdogjr

My Man Henri

Jan 23, 2002, 9:54:14 AM1/23/02

Patrick Whittemore wrote:

> Spiritual Minded is not for
> everyone but if you've read this far I think it's for you.
>
> Patrick

Very debatable. I just want to peep some good music - some classic
KRS. Is the production all his? In the past, that has been his mistake.
Nothing against KRS, but he's never really made it pop for me. Yeah, I
know that KRS will always come with the lyrics. But that's only part of
the equation.

Now, is this conversion permanent? I wonder. Can you put out a
spiritual record without being a full convert? Possibly. I know that R
Kelly has been contemplating it for ever, but to an extent, he's already
put out gospel tracks...

Anyhow, I will listen to this, but of late, Krs has been hitting me
with too many career lows, like a Jordan. Too many hot tracks to follow
up. Will there be a single off this record? That will be important: are
they working this record. Who are they targeting? KRS fans? of Gospel
music buyers? I'd like to know.

marty

Jan 23, 2002, 2:54:53 PM1/23/02
Nice review. Wish all reviews on RMHH could be as interesting.

M?N

Example

Jan 23, 2002, 3:35:58 PM1/23/02
lol.

then start writing them, if there not up to your critical standards.

--
Example

"Chance Favours The Prepared Mind"
-Louis Pasteur

"marty" <no...@nope.com> wrote in message

Borg166

Jan 23, 2002, 3:50:28 PM1/23/02
> Nice review. Wish all reviews on RMHH could be as interesting.

Steve Juon might cut your balls off for saying that.

marty

Jan 23, 2002, 6:22:46 PM1/23/02

> then start writing them, if there not up to your critical standards.

...point taken. give me one week!

---Pete---

Jan 23, 2002, 8:01:59 PM1/23/02
> Steve Juon might cut your balls off for saying that.

And quite rightly so. Along with the Irish one

---Pete---

TJ Xenos

Jan 23, 2002, 10:25:14 PM1/23/02

>Nice review. Wish all reviews on RMHH could be as interesting.
>
>M?N

it wasnt a reveiw, it was a shillpost by the online street team. KRS's
publicist fucking wrote it.

cynical
T.J. Xenos
xen...@student.wit.edu
"It's not some safe thing like Fugazi where everyone sits down and eats their
tofu and goes 'wow man, that's revolutionary' " - Jerry A of Poison Idea

Bay Way 41510

Jan 23, 2002, 10:34:01 PM1/23/02
"Patrick Whittemore" <wh...@lynx.net> wrote in message news:<87881502055012...@news.lynx.net>...

This review was dope as fuck, maybe the best I've ever seen on here

you had the right combination; great writing and you're an expert on
the artist.

Plus it sounds like you're a huge fan yet it still came across as
relatively unbiased (although if the album really stinks, it'll turn
out you were biased as hell...)

I'm still not quite ready to pull the trigger on this one, but you've
at least got me interested...

(as opposed to just hearing "KRS makes gospel album!" and me feeling
sick)

STRATEGY

locdogjr

Jan 24, 2002, 1:52:16 AM1/24/02
I think the final verdict is this

if your into hip-hop and you can listen to this album and not just hear it
you'll appreciate. understand this IS a christian hip-hop album too, you
will be preached too.

if you just want to hear Ja Rule (phat beats and some guy rapping with no
real purpose about ass, titties and exctasy) then stay far away.

Patrick Whittemore

Jan 23, 2002, 6:49:15 PM1/23/02
> it wasnt a reveiw, it was a shillpost by the online street team. KRS's
> publicist fucking wrote it.
>
> cynical

Just in case you're serious I should let you know I have no connection
to KRS, just a long time fan. In fact, if you do a search of my name
Patrick Whittemore on Google Groups you'll see I've been posting
on rmhh since 1995.

Patrick

Patrick Whittemore

Jan 23, 2002, 6:53:29 PM1/23/02
KRS, 2 by Domingo, 1 by BB Jay and then a bunch by
various others.

Patrick

marty

Jan 24, 2002, 3:04:27 PM1/24/02

> > Steve Juon might cut your balls off for saying that.
>
> And quite rightly so. Along with the Irish one
>
> ---Pete---

I did say 'all' the reviews! Not insinuating no other reviews were up to
this standard!

TJ Xenos

Jan 24, 2002, 3:12:58 PM1/24/02

>Just in case you're serious