>>>>> Nas Is Wack <<<<<

Mike Burke

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

Here is the transcript from his sonicnet chat on the 13th. It speaks for
itself:

SonicMod Yo Everyone! NAS is HERE!

<Picture>X-Coast Nas, what's your take on the alleged <Picture>2Pac
conspiracy that suggests he's still alive?

NAS So is Elvis.

<Picture>X-Coast Nas, what do you think about the East vs. West situation
at the moment?

NAS <Picture>X- Hip hop is the most controversial music of the 90's. I am
proud to be a part of it.

Quif In NY State of Mind you say "beyond the walls of intelligence life is
defined..." Is this referring to institutions such as schools or something
else altogether?

NAS It's really saying go farther with the mind than what you expect from
the mind.

podunk Nas, you are the only non-Wu-Tang member to have a Wu-Gambino name
(Nas Escobar). I was just wondering how you first hooked up with the Wu,
and whether or not you are going to be appearing on their upcoming album?

NAS PO, I said Nas-Escobar on <Picture>Mobb Deep's album with
<Picture>Raekwon.

Sadie Who's your favourite rapper?

NAS My favorite rapper is Rakim, Scarface.

iLL-FLaV Do you like Wise INtelligent of Poor Righteous Teachers?
Personally, I think the PRT album was the dopest of the year, tied with
Roots of course.

NAS I like Wise INtelligent's first album.

HyPnOtIc NAS, how do u feel about the state of hiphop and where it's
going????

NAS I love hip-hop the way it is now. I think too many people wish they
were rappers.

trakmastr What do you think about other rappers thinking that you have gone
too mainstream?

NAS I love being the mainstream. Everyone else uses my style, everybody
use's everybody's style.

Quif Did you get the idea for "I Gave you Power" from OK's "Stray Bullet"?

NAS What is Stray Bullet?

iLL-FLaV A song by Organized Konfusion. Yo, you don't know shit about
hip-hop, huh?

NAS What is Organized Konfusion? I like the real music by people who I call
survivors. Most rappers are happy for each other, especially my crew. We
only understand survival.

iLL-FLaV Survival? Ain't you livin' in a mansion in Long Island? What you
mean survival?

Jason Survive what? Were you guys in the war?

NAS Jason, you wouldn't survive one second in my shoes and I'm going to be
here forever.

Curly Nas, you see yourself workin' with Q-Tip or <Picture>Pete Rock again?

NAS Yes, I love working with producers who I can learn from.

Verbal Nas, how do you see your role in the advancement/recession of hip
hop as an art form?

NAS My role in the advancement of hip-hop is the title of my current album,
It Was Written. And as it was written, it shall be done.

Sadie Why don't you freestyle? We can hear you.

NAS I love freestylin' only with my crew.

Jason Did you do a song with <Picture>Method Man, and if so when will we
hear it?

NAS No I didn't do a song with <Picture>Method Man, but he's one of my
favorites.

podunk Are you going to be making any special appearances on upcoming
albums? (for example, the new WU-TANG?)

NAS Hopefully I will be making an appearance on the new Wu-Tang album.

Verbal NAS, it looks to me that your album made hip hop recede in terms of
what is expected from an emcee... You made a half-assed, monotonous,
unoriginal album and claim that you love hip hop.

NAS I love hip-hop. There are a lot of people who did like It Was Written,
who do love hip-hop.

Verbal NAS, why do you associate yourself with all that fake Big-Willieism,
when it's all just Street Dreams from an overly active imagination?

NAS Hip-hop was from imagination until the fans started getting too worked
up about the lyrics.

KEscobar Nas, all I want to know is when we can expect something from the
Firm and if there will be any connection to the aftermath with <Picture>Dr.
Dre.

NAS The Firm is coming soon in connection with Dre and some new mc's.

iLL-FLaV Nas, you smokin from the pipe tonight?

NAS I'm smokin' the pipe.

iLL-FLaV ...'Cuz you don't seem like the same Nas that was on Illmatic.

KEscobar Nas, don't sweat any of the punk shit that these people are
writing. It Was Written was years ahead of it's time. Where did you get the
inspiration?

NAS Yes, I'm sorry Babymind if you don't understand who Pablo Escobar was,
who Fatcat was, out of Jamaica Queens in the 80's. I write for mainly NYC
crowd, but love everyone who listens to what's going on in my music.

Sadie Life's a beach and then you dive.

NAS I like that, Sadie.

Quif Any thoughts about being in the movies or writing a book?

NAS I'm writin' book material now.

cheeks What are your thoughts on Mobb's new album?

NAS Mobb's new album is cool.

iLL-FLaV Nas, why do many of your people connected with <Picture>Mobb Deep
name themselves after Italian mob leaders? Because mob leaders were very
racist toward blacks. I know there's some headz named Scarface, Gambino
etc...

NAS There's some Mobb people who run the record labels, racist or not, they
pay the bills with livin' the fuckin' first millenium cricket-face.

Verbal NAS, why do you choose to worship the same Mafia types who view
Africans as "moolies" and "niggers"?

NAS I worship mafia. I worship god. I worship weed. I worship love and
happiness. I worship righteousness and my listeners.

trakmastr Yo NAS you grew up just outside of Coney Island right? In the
housing projects?

NAS I did not grow up in Coney Island.

Sadie Do you have a girl?

Jason Nas doesn't have girls, he has bitches.

NAS I don't have bitches, small gut. Don't be funny.

KEscobar NASTRODAMUS - On The Message you say that "I never sleep because
sleep is the cousin of death." What are you trying to say?

NAS When you sleep you are at rest, you look dead the way cats resemble
panthers, which make them family. Try not to sleep on your destiny.

Verbal Why do you worship mafia, when it is a life of negativity that helps
few at the same time that it hurts many?

NAS I don't really worship mafia.

KEscobar This summer you were featured on the cover on the Source which
read "The Future of Hip Hop." Do you feel pressure associated with such
claims, and do you feel proud to be in such a position?

NAS Ten years from now, I'll still be performing so will every other rapper
and there will be new rappers. What do you think hip-hop will be in ten
years? The same way it is today.

In some ways, I do feel like that I am the future of hip-hop. It is
pressure, but the struggle continues.

iLL-FLaV Nas, do you like Black Thought of the Roots?

NAS Black Thought is coo. I like Method, Biggie, Mobb, Little Kim, Jay Z,
snoop, 2pac... all the real ones.

cheeks What type of cigars do you role blunts wit????

NAS I roll Phillies, sometimes Dutch Maters.

trakmastr What do you think of MAD SKILLZ from VA?

NAS But I don't think of Mad Skillz from VA.

Verbal Get back with Primo and Extra P. Get some new management and a new
label. Get back to your old style. Maybe then I will regain any respect I
once had for you.

NAS I don't need respect. I need power, then respect. What is hip-hop to
some of you guys? You probably think it's graffiti, rolling blunts.

Sid Which part of the Oreo do you like, the cookie or the cream?

NAS I am an Oreo, but I like what you would call the chocolate chip,
because of my chipped tooth.

KEscobar There has been a lot of shit talked about how your style has
changed to fit the mainstream? Do you agree? Or do you think that is part
of every rappers evolution? (e.g. <Picture>Dr. Dre, <Picture>Snoop Doggy
Dogg, The Geto Boys, etc.)

NAS Yes, I have changed to fit the mainstream in my own way, why not?

KEscobar Is it to make money? Or for spiritual/personal/individual reasons?

NAS I loved to rap before I ever knew what record sales were.

HyPnOtIc In other words, hiphop is life. We live and breath hiphop. Yo,
it's not about makin' money and who sold the most albums. It's about
expression of one's mind, yo!

NAS When someone is an entertainer, fans want one thing from that
entertainer. Entertainers and mc's who have inspired me live in my heart
forever because I have learned what it is on both sides of the fence.

Ta-Daz NAS, What disc is in your player at home, right now?

NAS The CD in my deck is <Picture>Foxy Brown, that's the newest one I got.

I'm about to be outta here, the shit was real funny... some new cool shit I
don't get to do everyday. Ya'll be easy, one love.

--

"And if Clinton is the answer,
it was a stupid question."

Mike Burke

Type Your Name Here

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

In article <01bc073e$b7f9cee0$5704aace@default>, "Mike Burke" <Hom...@pacbell.net> says:

questions

1.

>Sadie Who's your favourite rapper?
>
>NAS My favorite rapper is Rakim, Scarface.

Did he mean Scarface from Texas, or Scarface one of the mobb deep
crew?

Comments.

If this exposes Nas' wackness i might go pick up It was written
after all. Nas might made some bad moves, but most of
the questioners were quite hostile.

>trakmastr What do you think about other rappers thinking that you have gone
>too mainstream?
>
>NAS I love being the mainstream. Everyone else uses my style, everybody
>use's everybody's style.

I ain't got a problem with this statement. You can look at all of the
east coast hip hop made since illmatic and see some clear evidence
of people trying to sound like nas.

2.

>Verbal NAS, it looks to me that your album made hip hop recede in terms of
>what is expected from an emcee... You made a half-assed, monotonous,
>unoriginal album and claim that you love hip hop.
>
>NAS I love hip-hop. There are a lot of people who did like It Was Written,
>who do love hip-hop.

I don't have a problem with this, cause Verbal didn't really say
anything substantial and then disrespected him. Unprovoked.

>Verbal NAS, why do you associate yourself with all that fake Big-Willieism,
>when it's all just Street Dreams from an overly active imagination?
>
>NAS Hip-hop was from imagination until the fans started getting too worked
>up about the lyrics.

This i do have a problem with. If you write it down, deliver it,
put it on wax, you want someone to take you seriously.

>NAS Yes, I'm sorry Babymind if you don't understand who Pablo Escobar was,
>who Fatcat was, out of Jamaica Queens in the 80's. I write for mainly NYC
>crowd, but love everyone who listens to what's going on in my music.

This is a good safe statement from Nas. A lot of his critics don't
live in NYC. I don't remember seeing Stress trash his album, or
any other underground mag for that reason.

>iLL-FLaV Nas, why do many of your people connected with <Picture>Mobb Deep
>name themselves after Italian mob leaders? Because mob leaders were very
>racist toward blacks. I know there's some headz named Scarface, Gambino
>etc...
>
>NAS There's some Mobb people who run the record labels, racist or not, they
>pay the bills with livin' the fuckin' first millenium cricket-face.

What?

>Verbal NAS, why do you choose to worship the same Mafia types who view
>Africans as "moolies" and "niggers"?
>
>NAS I worship mafia. I worship god. I worship weed. I worship love and
>happiness. I worship righteousness and my listeners.

Okay, who let the blunt into the computer room? Nas you were doing so
well up to this point. From the context it looks like nas is having
fun with Verbal, but then again you never know

>Verbal Why do you worship mafia, when it is a life of negativity that helps
>few at the same time that it hurts many?
>
>NAS I don't really worship mafia.

see up above, nas might not be a pulitzer prize winner, but i believe
he can think.

>Verbal Get back with Primo and Extra P. Get some new management and a new
>label. Get back to your old style. Maybe then I will regain any respect I
>once had for you.
>
>NAS I don't need respect. I need power, then respect. What is hip-hop to
>some of you guys? You probably think it's graffiti, rolling blunts.

i know this offended a lot of hip hop heads, but he put things in perspective
for me.

>KEscobar There has been a lot of shit talked about how your style has
>changed to fit the mainstream? Do you agree? Or do you think that is part
>of every rappers evolution? (e.g. <Picture>Dr. Dre, <Picture>Snoop Doggy
>Dogg, The Geto Boys, etc.)
>
>NAS Yes, I have changed to fit the mainstream in my own way, why not?

i thought he was mainstream to begin with, but he didn't sell.

For some reason i thought this transcript would read like a typical
alt.rap post, but not a lot of hard questions were asked, and nas
wasn't as blasphemous as he has been made out to be.

still the bottom line is for me, i was dissappointed in It was Written
both content wise and production wise. And if those are my main criteria
it wouldn't have mattered what he said.

k. orr
house of phat beats

QUIZativ

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

Kari has already responded to this post. Therefore I will prelude my post
by saying that I agree with Kari on almost all his points, therefore I have
little reason to go and say all those things over again, just read his
post.

Anyways, my initial reaction to the poster dissing Nas for his internet
"discussion" was that Nas has crossed some boundaries that I never thought
he would and that he really made himself look like a fool. However,
having read the transcript, I get the feeling now that Nas wasn't taking
that "discussion" very seriously. He appears to have been "playing" with
most of the people in the "chat" as if he didn't really care what they had
to say and it was just a little thing he was doing for the hell of it (or
to pick up a few extra bucks.. I don't know how those things work). It's as
if he was on the old, "you wouldn't understand me because you're not me, so
why should I even bother trying to explain me" type of vibe. Perhaps this
did make him look like a fool, or perhaps this just means he doesn't give a
fuck... if I grew up in inner city NYC and had to contend witha bucnh of
suburban white kids trying to "grill" me on every move I make, I probabaly
wouldn't be all that responsive either....

Nas is coming to my town in a few weeks. I wasn't going to bother
going.... however, we'll see.... MAYBE, just MAYBE I'll get an
interview.... we'll see....

BTW does anybody know if that chat that was posted was the entire
transcript or just an edited version?

peace

QUIZativ

Mike Burke <Hom...@pacbell.net> wrote in article
<01bc073e$b7f9cee0$5704aace@default>...

QUIZativ

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

Just to add to my previous response in this thread that if Nas doesn't know
who Organized Konfusion is then he needs to at least check himself on that
kinda shit. Give me a break.

Also, does anybody have any conclusions about wether Nas considers himself
"purely entertainment" now, or wether he (still?) feels he has something
postive/more to contribute to the (hiphop) community.....

peace

QUIZativ

Straight No Chaser ONLINE
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/richard_howes

Mike Burke <Hom...@pacbell.net> wrote in article
<01bc073e$b7f9cee0$5704aace@default>...

David L.

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

Type Your Name Here wrote:

> In article <01bc073e$b7f9cee0$5704aace@default>, "Mike Burke" <Hom...@pacbell.net> says:
>
> questions
>
> 1.
> >Sadie Who's your favourite rapper?
> >
> >NAS My favorite rapper is Rakim, Scarface.
>
> Did he mean Scarface from Texas, or Scarface one of the mobb deep
> crew?

I would have to say he has to be talking about the Geto Boys.

>Verbal NAS, why do you associate yourself with all that fake Big-Willieism,
> >when it's all just Street Dreams from an overly active imagination?
> >
> >NAS Hip-hop was from imagination until the fans started getting too worked
> >up about the lyrics.
>

> This i do have a problem with. If you write it down, deliver it,
> put it on wax, you want someone to take you seriously.

Take seriously yes, but rap, or hip hop as they want to call it, started
off as fun rap, look at all the versions of Roxanne. Rap can be
stories, the truth, or just a figment of your imagination.

> >Verbal Get back with Primo and Extra P. Get some new management and a new
> >label. Get back to your old style. Maybe then I will regain any respect I
> >once had for you.
> >
> >NAS I don't need respect. I need power, then respect. What is hip-hop to
> >some of you guys? You probably think it's graffiti, rolling blunts.
>

> i know this offended a lot of hip hop heads, but he put things in perspective
> for me.

I agree although, grafitti was started in the "Hood" I do not feel where
it is relavant to Hip-Hop.

Wait up, hold up, I sport a low cut, if rap was a game, I'd leave
opponents on a donut. Funky Warlord on top of the scoreboard, dissin
Finesse that shit is uncalled for.
Lord Finesse

Andrew Raymond Ryall

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

Mike Burke (Hom...@pacbell.net) wrote:
: Here is the transcript from his sonicnet chat on the 13th.

Is this what SonicNet had on their page? That shit was dramatically
edited. Myself and ill-flav had a LOT more to say than what was actually
included there. Bullshit. If any of you IRCing heads out there see
ill-flav on IRC, find out if he has a log of the chat. This log is
complete bullshit.

--
Andrew Ryall
Memorial University of Newfoundland

v65...@plato.ucs.mun.ca

Andrew Raymond Ryall

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

Type Your Name Here (mailbo...@mail.utexas.edu) wrote:
: In article <01bc073e$b7f9cee0$5704aace@default>, "Mike Burke" <Hom...@pacbell.net> says:

: If this exposes Nas' wackness i might go pick up It was written

: after all. Nas might made some bad moves, but most of
: the questioners were quite hostile.

No questioners were initially hostile. It turned out that only me and
ill-flav became hostile in the end.

: >Verbal NAS, it looks to me that your album made hip hop recede in terms of

: >what is expected from an emcee... You made a half-assed, monotonous,
: >unoriginal album and claim that you love hip hop.
: >
: >NAS I love hip-hop. There are a lot of people who did like It Was Written,
: >who do love hip-hop.

: I don't have a problem with this, cause Verbal didn't really say

: anything substantial and then disrespected him. Unprovoked.

That's why you don't get the full story from this transcript. I had a lot
to say that was substantial. He didn't answer my questions. He was giving
wack replies to wack questions. I was quite provoked.

: >Verbal NAS, why do you associate yourself with all that fake Big-Willieism,

: >when it's all just Street Dreams from an overly active imagination?
: >
: >NAS Hip-hop was from imagination until the fans started getting too worked
: >up about the lyrics.

: This i do have a problem with. If you write it down, deliver it,

: put it on wax, you want someone to take you seriously.

One of the few questions that I asked that he answered. And that they
included in the transcript.

: >iLL-FLaV Nas, why do many of your people connected with <Picture>Mobb Deep

: >name themselves after Italian mob leaders? Because mob leaders were very
: >racist toward blacks. I know there's some headz named Scarface, Gambino
: >etc...
: >
: >NAS There's some Mobb people who run the record labels, racist or not, they
: >pay the bills with livin' the fuckin' first millenium cricket-face.

: What?

: >Verbal NAS, why do you choose to worship the same Mafia types who view

: >Africans as "moolies" and "niggers"?
: >
: >NAS I worship mafia. I worship god. I worship weed. I worship love and
: >happiness. I worship righteousness and my listeners.

: Okay, who let the blunt into the computer room? Nas you were doing so

: well up to this point. From the context it looks like nas is having
: fun with Verbal, but then again you never know

Again it's a shame you don't get the full transcript to see all of the
other bullshit that Nas spit.

: >
[...]

Actually, a lot of hard questions were asked, and not answered or included
in this transcript. And yes, he was as blasphemous as made out to be, but
again, you don't get the full story from this pathetic transcript.

Nas was as bad as I said in the original post. You REALLY don't see it
here, believe me, we need the original transcript.

Tyler Blohm

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

On 22 Jan 1997 21:31:36 GMT, v65...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Andrew Raymond
Ryall) wrote:

>Mike Burke (Hom...@pacbell.net) wrote:
>: Here is the transcript from his sonicnet chat on the 13th.

>Is this what SonicNet had on their page? That shit was dramatically
>edited. Myself and ill-flav had a LOT more to say than what was actually
>included there. Bullshit. If any of you IRCing heads out there see
>ill-flav on IRC, find out if he has a log of the chat. This log is
>complete bullshit.

That's a shame about the edited log...I was interested in what Nas had
to say...If I had known about that chat, I'd probably had been in
there asking him the same tough questions.

That log is a huge contrast to the recent (well...couple months ago)
chat with Akinele. He seemed more down to earth, and willing to
answer the fans' accusations of him "not really being Akinele" (that
was proven false later in the chat).

--
Tyler Blohm e-mail: bl...@primenet.com|MSTie #74633
Tyler Blohm's Little Black Book of Rap| "We've got movie sign!"

ice...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

By the way, in case some of you don't know Verbal=Andrew Ryall.

Anyway, as I was about to say (maybe I should mail this, but... no)...

Andrew,

You really came down too hard on Nas for not knowing who Organized
Konfusion are. I myself have never heard a single OK song. I know them
in name only, and I know one of them is called Pharoah Monch. That's all
I know. Does that make me like one of those people that only listens to
Fugees and the *New improved* "Nas Escobar" ;) ? Some people haven't
heard every group, no matter how important to hip-hop they are. I haven't
heard Saafir, Organized Konfusion, Freestyle Fellowship, etc., etc. I
COULD buy Stress as an import from A&B sound for $18, but I won't pay 18
bucks for an album with 13 songs. I'm not that curious about them.

Does this mean I'm not as "real" as somebody who listens to OK and all the
rest?

What you should have gotten mad at Nas for was thinking that because he
hadn't heard of them, they must not be "Real hip-hop" (As if all of Nas'
listening choices are. And why does Nas listen to hip-hop that all in
some way copies him? Is his ego that big? If I was Nas it would be sort
of eerie to me.

But overall, you came down on Nas a little hard. You act like you were
being all nice and friendly. At least I didn't see it in this part of
your chat.

--
"The most beautifullest vocabulist be punching
phoney MC's dead in the esophagus"

Roman Sokolowski
email: ice...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Andrew Raymond Ryall

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

Tyler Blohm (bl...@primenet.com) wrote:

: That log is a huge contrast to the recent (well...couple months ago)

: chat with Akinele. He seemed more down to earth, and willing to
: answer the fans' accusations of him "not really being Akinele" (that
: was proven false later in the chat).

Word.

Akinyele was the man. Although he wasn't necessarily quick witted or
intelligent from my encounter with him that night, he was willing to
respond with how he felt to anything you put in his direction. Plus,
SonicNet let me call up on the phone and talk to him. He didn't stay on
the phone long enough to freestyle or anything though, but he seemed cool,
we were joking around on the phone and stuff. I was quite a lot more
impressed with him.

The best chat I have been to yet though was easily the chat with Grap
Luva. It was scheduled to be Pete Rock, Mobb Deep, and someone from
Wu-Tang, but none showed up, so Grap Luva stepped in and tried to handle
the impatient/disappointed people who wanted the other artists. He was
real down to earth and answered everything. Plus, I got to talk to him on
the phone for about 20 minutes.

QUIZativ

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

Tyler Blohm <bl...@primenet.com> wrote in article
<32eed417...@news.primenet.com>...

> On 22 Jan 1997 21:31:36 GMT, v65...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Andrew Raymond
> Ryall) wrote:
>
> >Mike Burke (Hom...@pacbell.net) wrote:
> >: Here is the transcript from his sonicnet chat on the 13th.
> >
> >Is this what SonicNet had on their page? That shit was dramatically
> >edited. Myself and ill-flav had a LOT more to say than what was actually
> >included there. Bullshit. If any of you IRCing heads out there see
> >ill-flav on IRC, find out if he has a log of the chat. This log is
> >complete bullshit.
>
> That's a shame about the edited log...I was interested in what Nas had
> to say...If I had known about that chat, I'd probably had been in
> there asking him the same tough questions.

Tyler and everybody else... your comments are interesting and make for a
good discussion. However, in terms of the "tough questions" yall want to
throw at Nas, I've been thinking. (I know this has already been said
but) Do you really think Nas gives two shits about some suburban kid from
Newfoundland quizing him on what's "real" and why he's not staying "real".
Although I started out heavily "against" Nas, as a reaction to my initial
impressions of his comments , I'm actually starting to side with him on
this. If I came from where he comes from, would I really care that
strongly about keeping it "real" for other people. Namely, "insignificant"
people who don't even know me or havn't lived my life experiences. These
are the same people who themselves placed 'me' (as Nas) on a pedestal and
demanded I keep things them way they want me to keep it. Fuck that. I
wouldn't give two shits about your "tough questions"., In fact I would
view them a weak questions in the grand scheme of things, were I in his
position.

You know, this whole thing over Fugees blowing up, Nas' commercial success
and change, 2Pac and the rest of the events of the past few months/year
have had an effect on me and how I think about these things. Perhaps it's
because over the past couple years my perception of hip hop has begun to
change slowly as I grew older. There was a time when hip hop was just fun
for me, but it soon became something more than that. It still is, but the
realities of the world we live in, and my having to face these realities as
I enter into what most of your parents would call "the real world", my
perceptions about hip hop, which by now, for me is "life" in many respects
are changing. This whole thing with Nas has really accentuated this
transformation. Although a while ago I would have said, "fuck, nas don't
know the four elements, nas aint conforming to the 'definition' anymore...
fuck him". No way kid... I seen to many people striving to get somewhere
from nowhere, I've known too many people not too unlike Nas.... fuck that.
Here's a new way I'm tending to look at it ( for the moment); Respect to
Nas...go get yours man. Hell, I think he's staying true to himself. It
sure appeas that he is staying true to himself. He's straight up going for
self & his crew... He's not 'getting' ...but 'making' his life for
himself. Given his life situation, can you blame him? He's sticking by his
freinds and sticking by what he says. He grew up rapping, he still loves
to rap.... and he's making a life out of it, and honestly I don't think
he's changing his "style" any more than he, himself, wants to. Nobody's
telling him to do it, he's doing it himself so far as I can tell. Don't
ya'll agree? He's standing by every dicesion he's made, and he's sticking
by who he is. What is wrong with that? Who said he had to be "hip hop's
saviour" He never came out (as if he was KRS) claiming to be the
incarnation of God within hip hop.... he kicked shit for himself and
then other people expected too much out of him.

As a disclaimer, this does not mean that I like Nas' new album or his
slightly altered aproach. Topically, when you look at it, he hasn't really
changed a whole lot...think about it. But his new sound and some of his
changes don't really appeal to me.... but whateva.... who am I to tell
him he has to sound like what I want him to soundlike?

BTW, this is sounding like I'm a terrible hypocrite... but I usually
ignore 2Pac's shit... but fuck you if you gota problem with this, but I
happen to have just peeped this song/video and I happen to dig "To Live and
Die in L.A." Respect to the brother for that song wether he be alive or
dead.

peace

QUIZativ

Andrew Raymond Ryall

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

ice...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote:

: You really came down too hard on Nas for not knowing who Organized

: Konfusion are. I myself have never heard a single OK song. I know them
: in name only, and I know one of them is called Pharoah Monch. That's all
: I know. Does that make me like one of those people that only listens to
: Fugees and the *New improved* "Nas Escobar" ;) ?

No, not necessarily. I realize in your case, living in Canada severely
limits the accessability of hip hop. I know all about that first hand.
Just because you have never had access to hear something does not make you
ignorant to it. I have no way to get SoleSides material in my ears except
for from sound clips (they won't ship up here... shouldn't independant
labels like them be showing enough love for their fans to get the material
out to them?). I don't go around saying that SoleSides is not "real", as
I am sure you don't comment on Organized Konfusion without having heard
their material in enough amount to pass judgement. In Nas' case though, he
is in the mecca of hip hop, New York, and O.K., if I'm not wrong, are from
Queens. I'm sure Nas has "heard along the grapevine" that many people see
"I Gave You Power" (is that the name of the song?) as a bite of O.K. Nas
should at least check into that. His ignorance, though, comes in his
passing judgement on O.K. without having heard them. He said he doesn't
listen to them, he only listens to real hip hop. This is what got me mad.

: Some people haven't

: heard every group, no matter how important to hip-hop they are. I haven't
: heard Saafir, Organized Konfusion, Freestyle Fellowship, etc., etc. I
: COULD buy Stress as an import from A&B sound for $18, but I won't pay 18
: bucks for an album with 13 songs. I'm not that curious about them.

Your loss ;)

: Does this mean I'm not as "real" as somebody who listens to OK and all the
: rest?

No, and I didn't insinuate that in Nas' case. See above.

: What you should have gotten mad at Nas for was thinking that because he

: hadn't heard of them, they must not be "Real hip-hop" (As if all of Nas'
: listening choices are.

That's exactly why I came down on him.

: But overall, you came down on Nas a little hard. You act like you were

: being all nice and friendly. At least I didn't see it in this part of
: your chat.

As I had said before, I started out "all nice and friendly", and then went
into a different mode after consistently having my "nice and friendly"
questions ignored.

It's a shame that no-one has a copy of the full transcript. Although it is
quite long, it is worth the read, I am sure people would get the exact
feelings that I got and see where I was coming from.

Cerkit [Breaker]

Jan 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/24/97

"Malik \"Mister Kilam Complexxxx\" Metaphor" <ma...@greyspace.com>
wrote:

>> Nas was as bad as I said in the original post. You REALLY don't see it
>> here, believe me, we need the original transcript.
>

>chill dun..I believe you, I may be the only mofo here that does..but I
>believe ya..it doesn't surprise me in the least that Sonicnet would
>water down the transcript...they want to decieve us all

Yeah, it's a conspiracy.

=================
Cerkit [Breaker]
cer...@ncal.net

ice...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Jan 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/25/97

Andrew Raymond Ryall (v65...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca) wrote:
: Is this what SonicNet had on their page? That shit was dramatically

: edited. Myself and ill-flav had a LOT more to say than what was actually
: included there. Bullshit. If any of you IRCing heads out there see
: ill-flav on IRC, find out if he has a log of the chat. This log is
: complete bullshit.

: --

: Andrew Ryall
: Memorial University of Newfoundland
: St. John's, Newfoundland
: Canada
:
: v65...@plato.ucs.mun.ca

I got the latest hip-hop preservation coalition newsletter, and I got a
little transcript of part of the chat. I'm afraid I can't post it, but
pjuf should have gotten it, along with some other people. And let me say
this:

1. Nas LIKES HIS CAPITAL LETTERS AND HATES HIS PERIODS
2. Nas insulted those that tried to challenge his reign as "king of
hip-hop". He called people feeble-minded and more....

Somebody please post the clip, or, preferably, the whole chat.

ice...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

Malik \"Mister Kilam Complexxxx\" Metaphor (ma...@greyspace.com) wrote:
: you should be curious about em...you're missing out...if you're that
: hard up for hip-hop, I'll dub all that ish and send it to you for no
: charge
I should be mailing you this, but I don't know exactly how to e-mail
somebody from my newsreader, so anyway... that's very generous of you. I
could at least send you some money for shipping and/or the cost of the
tapes. You live in Canada, right? For some reason I thought OK were west
coast... I thought they were always mentioned in the elite category of
"the good west coast
artists"...

Known Universe

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

ice...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca () wrote:

>tapes. You live in Canada, right? For some reason I thought OK were west
>coast... I thought they were always mentioned in the elite category of
>"the good west coast
>artists"...

Nope, they're NYC all the way. I don't have any of their albums
either (I know they're mad expensive here in Canada, and I'll never
see them used) but damn, I've always known about them simple by virtue
of their poetic prowess. I've always heard them mentioned in the
elite category of ALL artists.

Have you ever heard "Stress [Rmx)" with Large Professor? Damn,
what a fat song. Peep "Decisions" on the "America is Dying Slowly"
compilation too. Very fat stuff. "Stray Bullet" is also really
good..."Who Stole My Last Piece of Chicken", "Fudge Pudge" with O.C.,
all good songs with real content. Their delivery kind of annoys me at
times, but I give them mad respect because they've never comprised
their artistic integrity.

Unlike the topic of this thread.

peace

Known Universe

----------
The struggle continues...
----------

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

> Nope, they're NYC all the way. I don't have any of their albums
> either (I know they're mad expensive here in Canada, and I'll never
> see them used) but damn, I've always known about them simple by virtue

Ha ha ha, fuckers. I listened to that shit on the radio one day, then
the next day after classes I thought "fuck it, might as well check out
the used cd store", and what do you know: there she lied, all $10 of
her. ha ha... It's good, yes.

Tyler Blohm

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

On Sun, 02 Feb 1997 22:12:56 GMT, jlin...@mustang.uwo.ca (Known
Universe) wrote:

>ice...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca () wrote:
>
>>tapes. You live in Canada, right? For some reason I thought OK were west
>>coast... I thought they were always mentioned in the elite category of
>>"the good west coast
>>artists"...
>

> Nope, they're NYC all the way. I don't have any of their albums
>either (I know they're mad expensive here in Canada, and I'll never
>see them used) but damn, I've always known about them simple by virtue

>of their poetic prowess. I've always heard them mentioned in the
>elite category of ALL artists.
>
> Have you ever heard "Stress [Rmx)" with Large Professor? Damn,
>what a fat song. Peep "Decisions" on the "America is Dying Slowly"
>compilation too. Very fat stuff. "Stray Bullet" is also really
>good..."Who Stole My Last Piece of Chicken", "Fudge Pudge" with O.C.,
>all good songs with real content. Their delivery kind of annoys me at
>times, but I give them mad respect because they've never comprised
>their artistic integrity.

They are one of the few groups that will make me rewind a song to
catch all that they are saying...

--
Tyler Blohm e-mail: bl...@primenet.com|MSTie #74633

Tyler Blohm's Little Black Book of Rap| "You guys watch
Lyrics @ http://raplyrics.home.ml.org/|Joe Don Baker movies?"
_______________________________________ -MST3K

Known Universe

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

Z <ztrz...@sfu.ca> wrote:

>> Nope, they're NYC all the way. I don't have any of their albums
>> either (I know they're mad expensive here in Canada, and I'll never
>> see them used) but damn, I've always known about them simple by virtue
>

>Ha ha ha, fuckers. I listened to that shit on the radio one day, then
>the next day after classes I thought "fuck it, might as well check out
>the used cd store", and what do you know: there she lied, all $10 of
>her. ha ha... It's good, yes.

Probably about my best story about that is when I got Common's "Can
I Borrow A Dollar" for $4.00. I'm positive it was mispriced, but the
people at the desk were so ignorant that they just let me buy it.
That was a good day.

Other CDs that made me real happy finding them used include Special
Ed's "Youngest In Charge", O.C.'s album, the CD singles for De La's
Eye Know/Buddy Rmx and Say No Go, and NWA's Straight Outta Compton.
All of those are mad hard to find used on CD, at least in these parts.
Organized Konfusion joints are mad rare though, same with O.C.

peace

Known Universe

----------
"The East Coast/West Coast Chiller"
----------

QUIZativ

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

Known Universe <jlin...@mustang.uwo.ca> wrote in article
<32f6975d...@newshost.uwo.ca>...

Ok, what the MOST ya'll have ever payed for a single then.... or the
MOST you've payed for a tape/CD/LP? When I was talking to the Brother ?
of the Roots he had some stories to tell about people in Europe offering to
pay ridiculous amounts of cash for brand new vinyl they happened to have on
tour with them, something liek the equivalent of $200 US for the latest
Reakwon record....

anyways... confession time... I payed about $25 (canadian) for the first
Mobb Deep cassette (on import of course)
$23 for the Rumpletilskinz cassette (which somebody recently theifed).....
and more recently, when I first found the ATCQ 1nce again single way
before the album dropped i paid like $19... for the CD single....
sometimes i wonder about my own sanity....

Andrew Raymond Ryall

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

shost.uwo.ca>:
[...]

About 6 years ago I got "3 Feet High And Rising" on CD for $11.99. I got
PRT - "Holy Intellect" (which was impossible to find here when it first
dropped) for 99 cents (cassette).

The most I ever paid was for Ice Cube - "The Predator" on Import in '92
for $28.99. I got the $$$ for it for birthday, and thought Ice Cube was
the man then, that's my excuse.

Ok, so besides paying the most for an album, what's the most you have done
for an album? When Nas' "Illmatic" came out, I lied to the 2 or 3 other
people I knew and told them it wasn't out, then rushed out to get it (the
ONE copy that St. John's got on CD). When "Stakes Is High" came out I got
it at 10 am in the morning, when the record store opened. When they get in
something I want and I don't have the $$$ to get it, I tend to hide it in
"classical" or "heavy metal" sections. I like to get my music.

Matthew Manuel

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

Andrew Raymond Ryall (v65...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca) wrote:
: About 6 years ago I got "3 Feet High And Rising" on CD for $11.99. I got

: PRT - "Holy Intellect" (which was impossible to find here when it first
: dropped) for 99 cents (cassette).
: The most I ever paid was for Ice Cube - "The Predator" on Import in '92
: for $28.99. I got the $$$ for it for birthday, and thought Ice Cube was
: the man then, that's my excuse.
Same excuse, different album... I payed 33.99+tax for Lethal Ingection
when it was first released... god I was stupid... q:-/

: it at 10 am in the morning, when the record store opened. When they get in

: something I want and I don't have the $$$ to get it, I tend to hide it in
: "classical" or "heavy metal" sections. I like to get my music.

Hehe... I'll have to remeber that... q:-)
My finds include getting Showbiz and AG's "Runaway Slave" for 8 clams in
the cheap-o bin at Sam's, and I found Aceyalone's and Blackmoon's albums
for 6 bucks each last week... I've beek looking for Blackmoon's Cd ever
since I bought the tape when it first came out, cuz I had only heard one
track off of the album, and I didn't have the $ for the CD... and I never
saw it again at the record stores...
I also find that you find a lot of really hard-to-find CD's at the used
CD places....
Lata
-Manny
/ C A N A D A |\ |/^\\ //\ (_ /^^/^\^T^| /\ \
|-------------.| \|\_/ \//^^\ __)\__\_/ | |/^^\ |
| _____ |D R I V E R ' S L I C E N S E |
| / \ | |
| | | | Matthew 'Manny' Manuel |\ | |
| ( ) | Box 8, Site 14, RR#1 | \| |
| | | | Lantz, NS B0N 1R0 |
| | | | Canada |
| _-- --_ | |
|- -| Email: ab...@chebucto.ns.ca |
|-------------' http://chebucto.ns.ca/~ab752/ |
| |
\_____________________________________________/

Greg Pugliese

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

On 5 Feb 1997, Mike Burke wrote:
> --
>
> "And if Clinton is the answer,
> it was a stupid question."
> Ras Kass
>
> Mike Burke

I've been meaning to say something about this for a while now. Mike, out
of all the ill lyrics Ras has written, this is the one you find worthy
enough to make up your sig file? I don't understand...it's not even
something he made up, it's been stated slightly differently on bumper
stickers for years. This is in no way a dis to Mike -- his posts are on
point and i value his input to the ng -- i just am amazed at his choice of
this particular line.

-GJP

Mike Burke

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

QUIZativ <richar...@mindlink.bc.ca> wrote in article
<01bc1278$dade2ba0$11cabfcc@richardh>...

> and more recently, when I first found the ATCQ 1nce again single way
> before the album dropped i paid like $19... for the CD single....
> sometimes i wonder about my own sanity....

$19 for a SINGLE?!? Holy shit! I wouldn't pay that much for an album!

QUIZativ

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

Mike Burke <Hom...@pacbell.net> wrote in article

<01bc12fe$ab920d40$9b1caace@default>...

> QUIZativ <richar...@mindlink.bc.ca> wrote in article
> <01bc1278$dade2ba0$11cabfcc@richardh>...
> > and more recently, when I first found the ATCQ 1nce again single way
> > before the album dropped i paid like $19... for the CD single....
> > sometimes i wonder about my own sanity....
> >

> $19 for a SINGLE?!? Holy shit! I wouldn't pay that much for an album!

I was the first one in my area at the time to get it... and hey... it was
ATCQ... I would only pay that kind of money for one other artist...
Common... naturally :-) actually I dunno... it was kinda ridiculius that
the store even priced it that high.... ah well...

peace

QUIZativ

Known Universe

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

v65...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Andrew Raymond Ryall) wrote:

>The most I ever paid was for Ice Cube - "The Predator" on Import in '92
>for $28.99. I got the $$$ for it for birthday, and thought Ice Cube was
>the man then, that's my excuse.

Damn, that's vicious, and for Cube too ;) Well, the most I've ever
paid for a CD is $23.99 for Paris' "Sleeping With The Enemy". It was
worth it in the long run, but it pissed me off when I saw it used the
next week for $10 or something. Nature of the Beast though. I've
seen Eazy-E's "Eazy Duz-It" for $28.99 too, which is just fucking
ludicrous. The album is damn near 10 years old for God's sake, and
you can buy it mad cheaper than that and probably find it used too
(that's how I got my copy).

For vinyl, I've paid $14.99 for De La's "Clear Lake Audiotorium",
which isn't bad at all. Don't get me wrong, I was actually peeping
the 3 Pete Rock and CL Smooth albums that they had on the shelf for
$3o.oo a piece. I would've paid that too, but I just didn't have the
money [insert crying here].

>Ok, so besides paying the most for an album, what's the most you have done
>for an album? When Nas' "Illmatic" came out, I lied to the 2 or 3 other
>people I knew and told them it wasn't out, then rushed out to get it (the
>ONE copy that St. John's got on CD). When "Stakes Is High" came out I got

>it at 10 am in the morning, when the record store opened. When they get in
>something I want and I don't have the $$$ to get it, I tend to hide it in
>"classical" or "heavy metal" sections. I like to get my music.

Friends of mine at my local record store hold shit for me now so I
don't have to do much, just come up with the cash usually ;) I have
mad rushed down though when I thought copies would be sold out in the
past.

Matthew Manuel

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

I got one that beats all of that... They have The Outhere brother's album
for 37.99Cdn + 20% tax = ~$46!!!!!! for one cd!!!!

Tyler Blohm

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

On 4 Feb 1997 08:57:06 GMT, "QUIZativ" <richar...@mindlink.bc.ca>
wrote:

>Ok, what the MOST ya'll have ever payed for a single then.... or the
>MOST you've payed for a tape/CD/LP? When I was talking to the Brother ?
>of the Roots he had some stories to tell about people in Europe offering to
>pay ridiculous amounts of cash for brand new vinyl they happened to have on
>tour with them, something liek the equivalent of $200 US for the latest
>Reakwon record....
>
>anyways... confession time... I payed about $25 (canadian) for the first
>Mobb Deep cassette (on import of course)
>$23 for the Rumpletilskinz cassette (which somebody recently theifed).....

> and more recently, when I first found the ATCQ 1nce again single way
>before the album dropped i paid like $19... for the CD single....
>sometimes i wonder about my own sanity....
>

>peace
>
>QUIZativ

The most I paid was $25 for the Beastie Boys' "Check Your Head" album,
which was a Japanese import. It has 4 extra tracks, plus lyrics
included in the liner notes (half of the lyrics in Japanese even!).

Trey Harris

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, Known Universe wrote:

> v65...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Andrew Raymond Ryall) wrote:
>
> >The most I ever paid was for Ice Cube - "The Predator" on Import in '92
> >for $28.99. I got the $$$ for it for birthday, and thought Ice Cube was
> >the man then, that's my excuse.
>
> Damn, that's vicious, and for Cube too ;) Well, the most I've ever
> paid for a CD is $23.99 for Paris' "Sleeping With The Enemy". It was
> worth it in the long run, but it pissed me off when I saw it used the
> next week for $10 or something. Nature of the Beast though. I've
> seen Eazy-E's "Eazy Duz-It" for $28.99 too, which is just fucking
> ludicrous. The album is damn near 10 years old for God's sake, and
> you can buy it mad cheaper than that and probably find it used too
> (that's how I got my copy).

Good Lord Almighty!!!!! Where are ya'll buying your music?!? Is
it because of the Canadian /US conversion rate!?!?!?!

No, seriously, I usually won't pay more than $15.00 for a CD or
$10.00 for a cassette. On the Air Force Base, back home, all CDs are
$11.75 and all cassettes are $7.75, so I can usually find a lot of stuff
at a low price. They don't always get stuff in as soon as it hits, but
they end up with a little bit of everything

I'll never forget my biggest steal...Have you ever gone to the
mall with your troops with about $7.00 in your pocket? I just went
because the mall would be crowded and we could hang out and look at the
ladies all day. Went into Camelot Music to see what they had...I had no
intentions of spending my little bit of change at...what? Hold up...is
that Brand Nubians "One For All" cassette in the bargain bin? Lemme check
the price...OH S#!T...It's $5.99!! I've got to have it!!

So I walked the mall that day with about 65 cents to my name. But
I was happy...

Peace,

*** MARBLES ***

Mike Burke

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Greg Pugliese <gp...@wam.umd.edu> wrote in article
<Pine.SOL.3.95.97020...@rac3.wam.umd.edu>...

> I've been meaning to say something about this for a while now. Mike, out
> of all the ill lyrics Ras has written, this is the one you find worthy
> enough to make up your sig file? I don't understand...it's not even
> something he made up, it's been stated slightly differently on bumper
> stickers for years. This is in no way a dis to Mike -- his posts are on
> point and i value his input to the ng -- i just am amazed at his choice
of
> this particular line.
>
> -GJP

Actually, this quote just struck me. I had never heard it before,
although I have since seen it on bumper stickers, but at the time, it
cracked me up. I think it's funny and true, so I guess it's just a
personal thing. I also like playing around with it at certain times, for
example:

--

"AND IF AOL IZ DA ANSER,
IT WUZ A STOOPID QWESTON"

Or sometimes I'll just replace Clinton's name with the name of someone who
pissed me off and I'm responding to. It's also good because it's clean (no
cussing), it's easy for anyone to get the joke, and is something people in
other newsgroups can relate to, without any knowledge of hip-hop or who Ras
Kass is.

--

"I got niggas lookin' for Websters,
like George Popadopolous"

Mike Burke

(That's probably the illest line I've ever heard, but it has cussing and
some people might not get it.)

Mike Burke

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

QUIZativ <richar...@mindlink.bc.ca> wrote in article
<01bc1336$551480a0$2bcbbfcc@richardh>...

> I was the first one in my area at the time to get it... and hey... it was
> ATCQ... I would only pay that kind of money for one other artist...
> Common... naturally :-) actually I dunno... it was kinda ridiculius
that

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> the store even priced it that high.... ah well...

Yeah, I didn't even think of that. What assholes.

QUIZativ

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Tyler Blohm <bl...@primenet.com> wrote in article

<32f8fe2b...@news.primenet.com>...

> On 4 Feb 1997 08:57:06 GMT, "QUIZativ" <richar...@mindlink.bc.ca>
> wrote:
>

> >Ok, what the MOST ya'll have ever payed for a single then.... or the
> >MOST you've payed for a tape/CD/LP? When I was talking to the Brother
?
> >of the Roots he had some stories to tell about people in Europe offering
> >pay ridiculous amounts of cash for brand new vinyl they happened to have
on
> >tour with them, something liek the equivalent of $200 US for the latest
> >Reakwon record....
> >
> >anyways... confession time... I payed about $25 (canadian) for the
first
> >Mobb Deep cassette (on import of course)
> >$23 for the Rumpletilskinz cassette (which somebody recently
theifed).....
> > and more recently, when I first found the ATCQ 1nce again single way
> >before the album dropped i paid like $19... for the CD single....
> >sometimes i wonder about my own sanity....
> >
> >peace
> >
> >QUIZativ
>
> The most I paid was $25 for the Beastie Boys' "Check Your Head" album,
> which was a Japanese import. It has 4 extra tracks, plus lyrics
> included in the liner notes (half of the lyrics in Japanese even!).

CD or Tape?

peace

QUIZativ

Nehesi Mazoi

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Mike Burke wrote:

> "I got niggas lookin' for Websters,
> like George Popadopolous"
> Ras Kass
>
> Mike Burke
>
> (That's probably the illest line I've ever heard, but it has cussing and
> some people might not get it.)

I thought he meant it in the dictionary sense *boggle* Never thought to
go for the obvious meaning.

Kwesi Ako Kennedy

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Trey Harris wrote:
> I'll never forget my biggest steal...Have you ever gone to the
> mall with your troops with about $7.00 in your pocket? I just went
> because the mall would be crowded and we could hang out and look at the
> ladies all day. Went into Camelot Music to see what they had...I had no
> intentions of spending my little bit of change at...what? Hold up...is
> that Brand Nubians "One For All" cassette in the bargain bin? Lemme check
> the price...OH S#!T...It's $5.99!! I've got to have it!!
>
> So I walked the mall that day with about 65 cents to my name. But
> I was happy...

I live right across the stree from a rather typical pawn shop and they
have a LARGE collection of used CD's. For $5.00 EACH!

So far I've found Black Sheep, King Tee and Gang Starr for a steal not
to mention a good number of jazz, acid jazz and dj stuff for way below
retail. I usually just wait a couple of weeks and the more recent stuff
just appears like magic in their bin. HAHA!

Kwesi Ako Kennedy

ice...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

The most I've paid is $23 for The Low End Theory. The least is actually a
number of CDs.... I got Return of the boom bap, a wolf in sheep's
clothing, welcome to my dream (by MC 900 FT Jesus, but he's not too much
of an MC.
There's some good instruments and even scratching on it.), and Nervous
Breakdown. I didn't feel like saying who they're by, but you should know
anyway, all from BMG Music Service, for $1.99 each, plus $2.31 S&H.

Mike Burke

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

How much are CDs in Canada on average? Here in the States, it's between
$11.99 to $15.99 at the major chains. The only single CD I ever saw for
more than twenty bucks was an A Tribe Called Quest remix album, which was
$24.95.

Tom Young

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

>Trey Harris wrote:
>> I'll never forget my biggest steal...Have you ever gone to the
>> mall with your troops with about $7.00 in your pocket? I just went
>> because the mall would be crowded and we could hang out and look at the
>> ladies all day. Went into Camelot Music to see what they had...I had no
>> intentions of spending my little bit of change at...what? Hold up...is
>> that Brand Nubians "One For All" cassette in the bargain bin? Lemme check
>> the price...OH S#!T...It's $5.99!! I've got to have it!!
>>
>> So I walked the mall that day with about 65 cents to my name. But
>> I was happy...
>
>I live right across the stree from a rather typical pawn shop and they
>have a LARGE collection of used CD's. For $5.00 EACH!

Yeah, how about "Fear of A Black Planet" and "Nation of Millions" for $5
each (on CD)? DAS EFX CDs (any of them) for $3 in mint condition? Used CD
store in Portland, ME. I guess when all the Maine kids who liked hip hop
in the late 80's/early 90's started listening to hardcore, there was a
surplus of phat discs.

Peace

Andrew Raymond Ryall

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

<5d8hct$o...@News.Dal.Ca> <5ddnmn$fnu$1...@news.sas.ab.ca>
<01bc149e$3b6cb6e0$bc1daace@default>:
Mike Burke (Hom...@pacbell.net) wrote:
: How much are CDs in Canada on average? Here in the States, it's between

: $11.99 to $15.99 at the major chains. The only single CD I ever saw for
: more than twenty bucks was an A Tribe Called Quest remix album, which was
: $24.95.

It varies by province. In Newfoundland, new CDs are anywhere from $13.99
(Makaveli, Snoop, high-sales artists) to $19.99, and if the artist is for
the most part unheard of (Organized, PRT), $23.99.

BTW, I can get the Tribe remix album for $19.99 =)

BOOMBASH11

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

What the hell are you smoking? Nas is that nigga. Talking that shit you
cant be from NY. Ya'll southern and Cali niggas are the ones on some
bullshit. Talking that country ass shoot em up bang bang. Shit is wack.
You cant get wit NAS because your mind aint ready for it. Wait until your
25 or older. Peace
KID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Burke

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

Nehesi Mazoi <wa...@digex.net> wrote in article <32FA0D...@digex.net>...

No, actually, it's both. That's the beauty of it. He was making both a
reference to his own vocabulary AND the old "Webster" T.V. show. Plus it's
a rather obscure reference. That's why I think that line is so damn ill.

JKRhee03

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

I biggest steal was Nas' Illmatic CD at a retail store. It was on sale
for 7.99 so no doubt I was quick in getting it.

JK

Jon Madison

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

how's *this* for a steal:

I picked up Billy Squier's "Tale of the Tape" for 3.99 at
my local record store...on vinyl no less!

i'm sure now i can get it for 99cent SOMEWHERE.

*that's* a steal..usu. record store dudes'll recognize these
and try to seal 'em & sell 'em for 10-15 bucks.

perfect to practice cutting on...i just need to find one
more copy

j(i shoulda had this *years* ago, i know).

uh, Tom Young <tyo...@emerald.tufts.edu> wrote (well, at least i *read*):
! In article <32F9D7...@unity.ncsu.edu>, kake...@unity.ncsu.edu wrote:
--
(c) 1997 jon madison, webmaster | personal URL: http://ill.beats.com/~jm/
golden dome productions | eartube empire worldwide:

Jon Madison

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

uh, Mike Burke <Hom...@pacbell.net> wrote (well, at least i *read*):
! > > "I got niggas lookin' for Websters,
! > > like George Popadopolous"
! > > Ras Kass
! No, actually, it's both. That's the beauty of it. He was making both a
! reference to his own vocabulary AND the old "Webster" T.V. show. Plus it's
! a rather obscure reference. That's why I think that line is so damn ill.
another dope obscure one was about
"chokin' mics like pop rocks and soda"

(or pretty close), from mtn brother's "optometry".

guess the reference on this one...(once i *read* it,
i admit it's a little easier)

hey, this is gwon be a fun thread, if it takes off...
hit us up w/ some other good ones...

j.

Mike Burke

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

Jon Madison <j...@goldendome.com> wrote in article
<5dhkfe$c...@woody.goldendome.com>...

> another dope obscure one was about
> "chokin' mics like pop rocks and soda"
>
> (or pretty close), from mtn brother's "optometry".
>
> guess the reference on this one...(once i *read* it,
> i admit it's a little easier)

Isn't it something like if you combine pop rocks and Coke it fizzes up
massively? I've heard about that before, but I don't remember exactly what
it does.

> hey, this is gwon be a fun thread, if it takes off...
> hit us up w/ some other good ones...

"You can't see me like the Muppet Babie's grandmamma."

I think both Chino XL and the Cella Dwellas each used a variation on this
one.

EAndplumbi

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

NAS IS ONE OF THE GREATEST RAPPERS IN HIPHOP.
HIS RHYMES ARE ALWAYS ON POINT .
HIS ALBUMS ARE BOTH TIGHT. EVERY TRACK .
HIS REIGN WILL GO DOWN IN HISTORY!

Tyler Blohm

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

On 6 Feb 1997 05:55:20 GMT, "QUIZativ" <richar...@mindlink.bc.ca>
wrote:

It was CD. It doesn't sound too extravagant compared to others in
this thread, but $25 seemed like a lot at the time...maybe CD's are
cheap in my area?

Tyler Blohm

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

On Wed, 5 Feb 1997 21:33:10 GMT, Trey Harris
<jh23...@oak.cats.ohiou.edu> wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, Known Universe wrote:
>
>> v65...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Andrew Raymond Ryall) wrote:
>>
>> >The most I ever paid was for Ice Cube - "The Predator" on Import in '92
>> >for $28.99. I got the $$$ for it for birthday, and thought Ice Cube was
>> >the man then, that's my excuse.
>>
>> Damn, that's vicious, and for Cube too ;) Well, the most I've ever
>> paid for a CD is $23.99 for Paris' "Sleeping With The Enemy". It was
>> worth it in the long run, but it pissed me off when I saw it used the
>> next week for $10 or something. Nature of the Beast though. I've
>> seen Eazy-E's "Eazy Duz-It" for $28.99 too, which is just fucking
>> ludicrous. The album is damn near 10 years old for God's sake, and
>> you can buy it mad cheaper than that and probably find it used too
>> (that's how I got my copy).
>

> Good Lord Almighty!!!!! Where are ya'll buying your music?!? Is
>it because of the Canadian /US conversion rate!?!?!?!
>
> No, seriously, I usually won't pay more than $15.00 for a CD or
>$10.00 for a cassette. On the Air Force Base, back home, all CDs are
>$11.75 and all cassettes are $7.75, so I can usually find a lot of stuff
>at a low price. They don't always get stuff in as soon as it hits, but
>they end up with a little bit of everything
>

> I'll never forget my biggest steal...Have you ever gone to the
>mall with your troops with about $7.00 in your pocket? I just went
>because the mall would be crowded and we could hang out and look at the
>ladies all day. Went into Camelot Music to see what they had...I had no
>intentions of spending my little bit of change at...what? Hold up...is
>that Brand Nubians "One For All" cassette in the bargain bin? Lemme check
>the price...OH S#!T...It's $5.99!! I've got to have it!!
>
> So I walked the mall that day with about 65 cents to my name. But
>I was happy...

Some dude was stupid enough to recycle his CD of "The Sun Rises in the
East," so I picked it up for $8.

Also, the most surprising things I've ever seen in the record store
was a CD of the Beasties' original "Cookypuss" single, printed in
1982, imported from France. It cost the same as a regular single,
about $5, but I almost wet myself when I saw it lying there.

Tyler Blohm

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

On 8 Feb 1997 19:45:37 GMT, "Mike Burke" <Hom...@pacbell.net> wrote:

>Jon Madison <j...@goldendome.com> wrote in article
><5dhkfe$c...@woody.goldendome.com>...
>> another dope obscure one was about
>> "chokin' mics like pop rocks and soda"
>>
>> (or pretty close), from mtn brother's "optometry".
>>
>> guess the reference on this one...(once i *read* it,
>> i admit it's a little easier)
>>

> Isn't it something like if you combine pop rocks and Coke it fizzes up
>massively? I've heard about that before, but I don't remember exactly what
>it does.
>
>> hey, this is gwon be a fun thread, if it takes off...
>> hit us up w/ some other good ones...
>>

>"You can't see me like the Muppet Babie's grandmamma."
>
>I think both Chino XL and the Cella Dwellas each used a variation on this
>one.

Ref to the Muppet Babies' TV show...their nanny was always shown from
the knees down.

Mike Davis

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

Jon Madison wrote:
>ther dope obscure one was about
> "chokin' mics like pop rocks and soda"
>
> (or pretty close), from mtn brother's "optometry".
> hit us up w/ some other good ones...

how bout Kurious:
"droppin jewels like a thief with a hole in his pocket"

not an obscure reference, but nice word play nonetheless.

mike d d;7

Mike Burke

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

Tyler Blohm <bl...@primenet.com> wrote in article
<33081710...@news.primenet.com>...

> >"You can't see me like the Muppet Babie's grandmamma."
> >
> >I think both Chino XL and the Cella Dwellas each used a variation on
this
> >one.
>
> Ref to the Muppet Babies' TV show...their nanny was always shown from
> the knees down.

Yup. I didn't think it was too complex to figure out once you heard it,
but it seemed pretty damn creative and obscure to think up for a rap song.

ice...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

Mike Burke (Hom...@pacbell.net) wrote:
: How much are CDs in Canada on average? Here in the States, it's between
: $11.99 to $15.99 at the major chains. The only single CD I ever saw for
: more than twenty bucks was an A Tribe Called Quest remix album, which was
: $24.95.
Let's see... at Future Shop, they'll have major CDs (Nirvana- From the
muddy banks of the wishkah) for $10. The cheapest they usually get is
about $13, and the most they usually get is $18. But sometimes they get
really expensive. I saw Home Invasion by Ice T for $26. And I saw a fat
joe CD for $33, I think. then there's gold CDs, which are about $45. I
think they last forever or something.

: --

: "And if Clinton is the answer,
: it was a stupid question."
: Ras Kass

: Mike Burke

Mista Pizzo

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

I think the one that still has me confused is off of Jeru's "Black
Cowboys"

"A Wrong Move is Made, Like 40's in The Ghetto, You Cap Is Quickly
Twisted"

This one is deep. Let's anlyze it.

"A Wrong Move Is Made,..."

The wrong move Jeru is referring to can be looked at in two ways:
1) (IF) "a wrong move is made, like a forties in the ghetto, your cap is
quickly twisted."
OR
2) (LIKE) "a wrong move is made,..." with that wrong move being made is
someone in the ghetto opening a 40, (referring to the destruction that
this causes to the ghetto and Black community.)

so the phrase "Like 40's in the ghetto" is a 2 way metaphor to the
phrases around it "A Wrong Move Is Made" and "Your Cap Is Quickly
Twisted"

a better way to look at this is by deleting one of the phrases, and
you'll notice both make sense:

1) "A wrong move is made, like 40's (being) in the ghetto"
2) "A wrong move is made, your cap is quickly twisted"

Confused yet? I am. This has got to be the most complex 3 way metaphor I
have ever heard. and then if you haven't heard the song, after that line
Jeru says, "And Just in case you missed it, a wrong move is made, like
40's in the ghetto, your cap is quickly twisted."

Damn, still got me thinking! Anyone want to elaborate on this?

Trey Harris

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

One of my favorites comes from Jeru on "My Mind Spray".

"Thunder on your dome, but no help from Mad Max"
"Lyrics like hyped tattoos go over the dope tracks"

I wonder if people knew that he wasn't talking about the musical
tracks, but the tracks left by hypodermic needles on the arms of junkies.
They often get tattoss to cover up their "tracks".

Peace,

*** MARBLES ***

Tom Young

Feb 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/10/97

In article <E5CqK...@boss.cs.ohiou.edu>, Trey Harris
<jh23...@oak.cats.ohiou.edu> wrote:

The word "tattoo" can also mean "rhythmic phrase", or something like that.
Shit is dope.

Peace

Dan

Feb 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/10/97

"chokin' mics like pop rocks and soda"

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but a big 70s rumor
was that Mikey from the Life cereal commercials
died from eating pop rocks & drinking soda,
which makes this line a dope metaphor.

--Dan

ice...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Feb 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/11/97

Mista Pizzo (mista...@hiphopsite.com) wrote:
: I think the one that still has me confused is off of Jeru's "Black
: Cowboys"

What's so confusing?

How is it a 3-way metaphor?

A wrong move is made... I don't know, is it to challenge Jeru?
Like 40s in the ghetto your cap is quickly twisted.

I don't know very much about 40s, since I've never actually seen one
except for in a liquor store (It's not how it sounds), but I assume from
other songs you twist the top off the 40. So if you make a wrong move,

your cap is quickly twisted.

So where's the genius, and what's the 3-way metaphor?

Donnie H. Kwak

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

> <01bc164e$d6f87ac0$2d1caace@default> <32FE78...@hiphopsite.com>
<5dqu7j$ev4$1...@news.sas.ab.ca>
on seemingly idiotic references, how about krs on "rappers r in
dainja"...talkin somethin about croissants on tuesday or some other shit.
explain that one please.

if you want to really break down some lyrics, try to decipher the plot of
camp lo's "killin em softly"....

...just finished puttin heat in this mercury
but he was slippin
my aim wasn't accurate, off two degrees
bubblin, fumbled the toast
skatin on ice slippery
smothered in absolut
"was you drunk"
absolutely
motion melodic, i got it....

try to transcribe it, it's worth the trouble...

Known Universe

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

Trey Harris <jh23...@oak.cats.ohiou.edu> wrote:

> Good Lord Almighty!!!!! Where are ya'll buying your music?!? Is
>it because of the Canadian /US conversion rate!?!?!?!

Mostly. Figure that $1.00 American generally equals about $1.40
Canadian (it fluctuates, but its usually between $1.36 and $1.40), so
$15.00 American equals $21.00 Canadian. That's why most new CDs here
are at least $18.99. More popular CDs (i.e. Beats, Rhymes and Life or
The Score) can often be found on sale for $15.99, and I even managed
to get Illadelph Halflife on sale for $16.99. But still, new CDs are
mad expensive here because it costs so much to import them. The only
domestic product is from the big companies, so stuff on smaller labels
that has to be brought in from the U.S. is really expensive.

Some places like HMV and Music World just make you wonder though,
because some of their CD prices, just on particular CDs that aren't
rare or anything (like Eazy Duz It), are so fucking high. Its weird.

This is exactly why I haven't bought The Fugees on CD yet. I
refuse to buy it until I see it used.

peace

Known Universe

----------
"The East Coast/West Coast Chiller"
----------

kari orr

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:16:53 -0500, "David L." <livi...@umbi.umd.edu>
wrote:

>> >NAS Hip-hop was from imagination until the fans started getting too worked
>> >up about the lyrics.
>>
>> This i do have a problem with. If you write it down, deliver it,
>> put it on wax, you want someone to take you seriously.
>
>Take seriously yes, but rap, or hip hop as they want to call it, started
>off as fun rap, look at all the versions of Roxanne. Rap can be
>stories, the truth, or just a figment of your imagination.

nas isn't biz markie, or busta, or odb, or anyone who might have funny
bone in his body. all of his rhymes are on a seroius tip. even his
non topicals got an ill bent.

>> i know this offended a lot of hip hop heads, but he put things in perspective
>> for me.
>
>I agree although, grafitti was started in the "Hood" I do not feel where
>it is relavant to Hip-Hop.

actually i was referring to the idea that the only definition of hip
hop is the one that includes the four elements. a lot of people
"real" to the artform aren't concerned with

>Wait up, hold up, I sport a low cut, if rap was a game, I'd leave
>opponents on a donut. Funky Warlord on top of the scoreboard, dissin
>Finesse that shit is uncalled for.
> Lord Finesse

kari orr

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

kari orr wrote:

that was an old message i don't remember what it's from. let the thread
die.

k. orr
house of phat beats