Google Groups không còn hỗ trợ đăng ký sử dụng hoặc đăng nội dung mới trên Usenet. Bạn vẫn có thể xem nội dung cũ.

Life's dilemmas - sometimes, they ARE a bitch..

8 lượt xem
Chuyển tới thư đầu tiên chưa đọc

Steve 'Flash' Juon

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 28 thg 1, 199928/1/99
đến
In article <790a6g$e3...@www1.siast.sk.ca>, treb...@hotpop.com says...

> Steve 'Flash' Juon wrote in message ...
> It's a salaried
> >position with health benefits, 401(K) and the whole nine.
> >
> >HERE's the problem though - I'm supposed to start work on Monday
> morning
> >at 8 A.M... on February the 8th! The Siah and Yeshua Dapo ED show is
> the
> >night of February 7TH!! Do I go to the show and take the chance of
> >showing up late my FIRST day on the job, or do I turn down the chance
> >see two great MC's on a _Deeper Concentration_ tour that I know I'd
> love?
> >

> Yo, take the job. As much love as we all have for Hip Hop, going to
> this show isn't going to pay your bills or get you money to pay for
> all the lovely music you listen to. Siah & Yeshua aren't gonna pay
> them doctor bills when you get sick. And this job sounds cool. You can
> still go to the show. Take a nap before the show. And if the job is
> that important to you, you'll get up. I have to do the same thing when
> the tour comes to Seattle or when ever there are shows midweek.
> Prioritize. And it'll all be good.

Umm, what I said to BSE in my last post, scratch that. The concert is
the 7th it's a Sunday, the first day of work is the 8th it's a Monday.
I just double checked. Anyhow I'd love to take a nap before the show but
since I'll probably have to hitch a ride or take a train or something I'm
not going to get convenience time to make my own schedule - I'll have to
deal with somebody else's. Damn. I *hate* when shit like this collides
and coincides in a crappy way. If the Deeper Concentration tour was
coming to Detroit, no problem! I don't think it is though. :P

--
"Rap ain't about bustin caps and fuckin bitches
It's about fluency with rhymin ingenuity" -> Del the Funky Homosapien

Steve 'Flash' Juon

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 30 thg 1, 199930/1/99
đến
After months and months of griping about not having a job and being
chronically short on money, I'm being offered an opportunity of a
lifetime -- I've been given a position at allmusic.com, who is basing
their new offices in downtown Ann Arbor. In fact, the office is right
down the street from my favorite record store (Encore) and around the
block from the best hip-hop vinyl store (Grooveyard) and just up the
street are two movie theaters and a Borders bookstore. It's a salaried
position with health benefits, 401(K) and the whole nine.

HERE's the problem though - I'm supposed to start work on Monday morning
at 8 A.M... on February the 8th! The Siah and Yeshua Dapo ED show is the
night of February 7TH!! Do I go to the show and take the chance of
showing up late my FIRST day on the job, or do I turn down the chance to
see two great MC's on a _Deeper Concentration_ tour that I know I'd love?

Dilemmas, dilemmas.

Peace, Flash

SORDSWINGA

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 30 thg 1, 199930/1/99
đến
take a nap before the show, since you aint workin now you got plenty of time to
get some sleep, then just set your alarm and get up for work. it isnt really a
problem, its not that hard to go to work on 4-5 hours of sleep, just drink some
coffee, ive worked on that little sleep many times.

FREE ODB

Tre' Boogie

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 30 thg 1, 199930/1/99
đến

Steve 'Flash' Juon wrote in message ...
It's a salaried
>position with health benefits, 401(K) and the whole nine.
>
>HERE's the problem though - I'm supposed to start work on Monday
morning
>at 8 A.M... on February the 8th! The Siah and Yeshua Dapo ED show is
the
>night of February 7TH!! Do I go to the show and take the chance of
>showing up late my FIRST day on the job, or do I turn down the chance
>see two great MC's on a _Deeper Concentration_ tour that I know I'd
love?

Yo, take the job. As much love as we all have for Hip Hop, going to
this show isn't going to pay your bills or get you money to pay for
all the lovely music you listen to. Siah & Yeshua aren't gonna pay
them doctor bills when you get sick. And this job sounds cool. You can
still go to the show. Take a nap before the show. And if the job is
that important to you, you'll get up. I have to do the same thing when
the tour comes to Seattle or when ever there are shows midweek.
Prioritize. And it'll all be good.

Tre' Boogie
TreB...@hotpop.com

"Me? I'd rather be undefined, not underestimated nor undermined. I'm
underlined
as the underdog under the influence of time." -- Aceyalone,
"Arhythmaticulas"

BSE

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 31 thg 1, 199931/1/99
đến
Steve 'Flash' Juon wrote:

> After months and months of griping about not having a job and being
> chronically short on money, I'm being offered an opportunity of a
> lifetime -- I've been given a position at allmusic.com, who is basing
> their new offices in downtown Ann Arbor. In fact, the office is right
> down the street from my favorite record store (Encore) and around the
> block from the best hip-hop vinyl store (Grooveyard) and just up the
> street are two movie theaters and a Borders bookstore. It's a salaried

> position with health benefits, 401(K) and the whole nine.
>
> HERE's the problem though - I'm supposed to start work on Monday morning
> at 8 A.M... on February the 8th! The Siah and Yeshua Dapo ED show is the
> night of February 7TH!! Do I go to the show and take the chance of
> showing up late my FIRST day on the job, or do I turn down the chance to
> see two great MC's on a _Deeper Concentration_ tour that I know I'd love?
>
> Dilemmas, dilemmas.

I can give you a totally unbiased and logical oppinion on this one
Flash. I realy can.

GO TO THE FUCKING SHOW!!!!!!

Not only DO they hardly ever do shows but they will never come to London
to do a show therefore you owe it to me to go. Its liek when you dont
eat all your food and you know theres starving people.

The industry is wack and that includes allmusic.com, see i told you.

Plus you dont have to be late you jsut have to get no sleep, its no
thing.

BSE

----BSE----------------------------------------

"I love hip-hop.
Just so happens a lot of people who get
called "hip-hop" don't love it that much" - Spirit68
__________________BSE hip hop__________________
_____________ http://www.bseuk.com ____________

chris collins

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 31 thg 1, 199931/1/99
đến
flash when something exciting is happening u always wake up regardless,
right?

-chris

Steve 'Flash' Juon <dj.flas...@pobox.com> wrote in message

>After months and months of griping about not having a job and being
>chronically short on money, I'm being offered an opportunity of a
>lifetime -- I've been given a position at allmusic.com, who is basing
>their new offices in downtown Ann Arbor. In fact, the office is right
>down the street from my favorite record store (Encore) and around the
>block from the best hip-hop vinyl store (Grooveyard) and just up the
>street are two movie theaters and a Borders bookstore. It's a salaried
>position with health benefits, 401(K) and the whole nine.
>
>HERE's the problem though - I'm supposed to start work on Monday morning
>at 8 A.M... on February the 8th! The Siah and Yeshua Dapo ED show is the
>night of February 7TH!! Do I go to the show and take the chance of
>showing up late my FIRST day on the job, or do I turn down the chance to
>see two great MC's on a _Deeper Concentration_ tour that I know I'd love?
>
>Dilemmas, dilemmas.

Tony1er

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 31 thg 1, 199931/1/99
đến
Are you out of your mind? No hip hop show (or show in genral) is more important
then a job. This job sounds dope and if money is such a big deal, fuck the siah
and yeshua show.
later tony

Steve 'Flash' Juon

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 31 thg 1, 199931/1/99
đến
In article <36B3D0...@bseuk.com>, b...@bseuk.com says...

> I can give you a totally unbiased and logical oppinion on this one
> Flash. I realy can.
>
> GO TO THE FUCKING SHOW!!!!!!

> Plus you dont have to be late you jsut have to get no sleep, its no
> thing.

Yeah; and you don't have to explain to your boss the next day on the
first day of the job why you're falling asleep at the desk instead of
being attentive and impressing your co-workers by being on the ball. I
know it's wack to be 'noid about this but first impressions really do
make a difference and if I come in bleary and busted they're gonna
remember me as the guy who always comes in like a steamroller just
polished his ass.

That said, I am *still* thinking about going if I can figure out a good
way to do it. Half the problem is my ride is too busted to make the
drive so I can't go myself and there's another problem - whoever I'd
hitch a ride with may or may not have reason to worry about being back
the next day for anything. I would.

One thing doesn't make sense though - even though the boss told me
February 8th was the first day, that's a Saturday. Maybe I'm freaking
for no reason and he actually meant it was the 10th, not the 8th. Not
that I'd put a web site company past opening on a Saturday since there's
no real "time" on the internet, but it still seems strange.

wp_d...@my-dejanews.com

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 31 thg 1, 199931/1/99
đến
dj.flas...@pobox.com (Steve 'Flash' Juon) wrote:
> HERE's the problem though - I'm supposed to start work on Monday morning
> at 8 A.M... on February the 8th! The Siah and Yeshua Dapo ED show is the
> night of February 7TH!! Do I go to the show and take the chance of
> showing up late my FIRST day on the job, or do I turn down the chance to
> see two great MC's on a _Deeper Concentration_ tour that I know I'd love?

Flash, player, don't be stupid. I know you love hip hop, but this is your
life. I mean, Siah and Yeshua can come into town another time, you don't
get a second chance to make a first impression. Especially for such a
terrific sounding, high paying job in a spot that has a lot of nice stores
that you seem to dig. And if it's really bad, go listen to the vinyl and
pretend that you're there. You'll be thanking me when you get that first
paycheck. Don't let opportunity pass you by. I did it and I'm regretting
it. Peace.

Will Perez
Chi-Town represent!!!

KSG

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 31 thg 1, 199931/1/99
đến

Steve 'Flash' Juon wrote:

> In article <36B3D0...@bseuk.com>, b...@bseuk.com says...
> > I can give you a totally unbiased and logical oppinion on this one
> > Flash. I realy can.
> >
> > GO TO THE FUCKING SHOW!!!!!!
> > Plus you dont have to be late you jsut have to get no sleep, its no
> > thing.
>
> Yeah; and you don't have to explain to your boss the next day on the
> first day of the job why you're falling asleep at the desk instead of
> being attentive and impressing your co-workers by being on the ball. I
> know it's wack to be 'noid about this but first impressions really do
> make a difference and if I come in bleary and busted they're gonna
> remember me as the guy who always comes in like a steamroller just
> polished his ass.

Usually for big events like this (first day of a job) I don't get much sleep
anyways, but the excitement of the day keeps me wide eyed.

> One thing doesn't make sense though - even though the boss told me
> February 8th was the first day, that's a Saturday. Maybe I'm freaking
> for no reason and he actually meant it was the 10th, not the 8th. Not
> that I'd put a web site company past opening on a Saturday since there's
> no real "time" on the internet, but it still seems strange.

Well you have time... find out the day... there is no reason that this
should be ambiguous.

--
One Luv,

KSG
Droppin' Science in REAL AUDIO on KSDT Mondays 10-midnight (PST)
REAL AUDIO KSDT: http://scw.ucsd.edu/ksdt/ksdt-live.ram
Personal: http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/~kgatlin

BUGGZY415

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 31 thg 1, 199931/1/99
đến
First off Flash, congratulations on the new job. Sounds dope. Now to your
question:

This really is no dillema at all Flash. You obviously skip the show. Siah and
Yeshua could be the dopest MC's to ever grace this planet, but you are being
given a great opportunity for your future, a future that Siah and Yeshua are
not personally going to be a part of. I love hip-hop as much as the next man
or woman, but we have to keep our priorities straight here. As for the
suggestions that you could just take a nap, and that there is no way you would
wake up late on your first day: Would you risk it? Okay, let's say the trusty
alarm clock comes through and you wake up on time. So what? You are going to
be droopy-eyed and yawning all over the place your whole day at work. You
won't have the proper mindstate, and you'll just be thinking about going home
and getting some sleep. That's fine if you already have established yourself,
but not on the first day. Not when it is such a good opportunity. Don't do it
Flash. Skip the freakin' show. Trust me, life will go on =)

Buggzy

'She was fine as fuck, I wanted to sex the hoe up
She said let's hit the parking lot so I can sick your duck'--Big Boi

J.A. Brown

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 31 thg 1, 199931/1/99
đến
Steve ' If the Deeper Concentration tour was

> coming to Detroit, no problem! I don't think it is though. :P

I wish it would come to Detroit. Nothing good ever rolls through here.
I think you should just forgo the concert and take the job.
Get one of the cats on here who is going to the concert to tape it for
you. Sometimes you have to put everyday life ahead of hip-hop,
even if hip-hop is a major part of your everyday life.

Speaking of how nothing ever comes through Detroit, I went to buy some
tickets the other day. They were for the Jay-Z/DMX/Meth/ Redman concert.
Now I'm not really a fan of any of these artists, the only Jay-Z
I have is his verse on Mic G's first album, Dmx is kinda Blah to me,
and I think Method Man and Redman are alright, but I was thinkin the
concert might be cool to go to. Plus my friends were uppin me to
get tickets for them. So I went to the box office with the
intention of getting six tickets. They were fourty-one dollars.
Fourty-one goddamn dollars. That's not hip-hop, that's big buisiness,
and I don't want any part of that. For real, I wouldn't pay
fourty-one bones to see Jesus live in concert, let alone four
rappers that I don't even like.

So anyway, take the job.

"And who wouldn't want that. To be part of the music industry."

R Walsh

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 31 thg 1, 199931/1/99
đến

>Usually for big events like this (first day of a job) I don't get much
sleep
>anyways, but the excitement of the day keeps me wide eyed.

I definitely agree with this. If I am going away on a trip, starting a new
job or the first day of school is the next day I usually won't be able to
sleep. This would be the same feeling for you. You won't know what to expect
and you won't really be able to sleep the night before. And usually, for me
at least, I will still be wide awake the next day. Its because the night
before through your head keeps running the possibilites of mishap or what
its gonna be like and you never really get the sleep you need. However the
next day it will be a big event for you and adreneline will keep you going
even if you are tired. I mean I never have a problem getting up for the
first day or school, its always a couple months in that you might have a
problem.

Just bring along some coffee or cola or whatever caffeinated beverage your
prefer. Also maybe bring a walkman or whatever, cause some music keeps you
going. But chances are you will be trying to so hard to impress everyone and
showing you are worthwhile of being there that you won't be tired at all.
Just as soon as you get home from work take a nap, wake up have some dinner
and maybe watch TV or whatever then go back to bed. You will be fine.

I know what you mean about carpools as well. Just let the person know ahead
of time that you are going to have to be getting home right after the
concert. Also don't worry about a nap before you can sleep on the way there
in the car or the way back.

Don't stress though Steve, that is what is bad for you. Just take it easy
and go. You can always tell the boss that you went to a concert last night
and if he wants a review you can do that for him. You can use this to your
advantage. I don't really know about the site you are working at, but you
can offer a review of the night before. And be honest with your boss if you
go. Let him know that you went out the night before and that usually this
won't happen but explain the significance of Siah and Yeshua coming. Its not
like your working for just a plain website, this is a music website and this
will show your dedication out of the job to music, :).

Steve 'Flash' Juon

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 31 thg 1, 199931/1/99
đến
In article <36B4DF...@tir.com>, jos...@tir.com says...

> Fourty-one goddamn dollars. That's not hip-hop, that's big buisiness,
> and I don't want any part of that. For real, I wouldn't pay
> fourty-one bones to see Jesus live in concert, let alone four
> rappers that I don't even like.

Damn, even my tickets for Smokin' Grooves (and that was 7 GOOD acts) were
only $38, and I paid a premium because I bought them over the internet.

But yeah, I'm taking the job. :>

Steve 'Flash' Juon

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 31 thg 1, 199931/1/99
đến
In article <Gx3t2.64$DB5.3...@news.bctel.net>, r_w...@bc.sympatico.ca
says...

> Don't stress though Steve, that is what is bad for you. Just take it easy
> and go. You can always tell the boss that you went to a concert last night
> and if he wants a review you can do that for him. You can use this to your
> advantage. I don't really know about the site you are working at, but you
> can offer a review of the night before. And be honest with your boss if you
> go. Let him know that you went out the night before and that usually this
> won't happen but explain the significance of Siah and Yeshua coming. Its not
> like your working for just a plain website, this is a music website and this
> will show your dedication out of the job to music, :).

You know what, you're right. Now all I have to do is see if I can find a
ride between now and next Saturday. If I can line one up, I'm going!

Steve 'Flash' Juon

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 31 thg 1, 199931/1/99
đến
In article <7915oo$da1$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, wp_d...@my-dejanews.com
says...

> Flash, player, don't be stupid. I know you love hip hop, but this is your
> life. I mean, Siah and Yeshua can come into town another time, you don't
> get a second chance to make a first impression. Especially for such a
> terrific sounding, high paying job in a spot that has a lot of nice stores
> that you seem to dig. And if it's really bad, go listen to the vinyl and
> pretend that you're there. You'll be thanking me when you get that first
> paycheck. Don't let opportunity pass you by. I did it and I'm regretting
> it. Peace.

Damn, you and Buggzy both have good arguments in the "don't go" category.
Now I'm doubting myself again. Shit, I wouldn't mind so much if I hadn't
tried looking up Siah and Yeshua Dapo ED on TicketMaster and finding this
was their ONLY ticket listing. If this is a Deeper Concentration tour it
must be their last stop on it! :P

Steve 'Flash' Juon

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 31 thg 1, 199931/1/99
đến
In article <19990131234534...@ng-ce1.aol.com>,
neil...@aol.com says...
> Flash, I'll put it like this. If this is a real dilemma tor you, we here at
> RMHH really do need to start up a fund to get a shrink for your crazy ass.
> Skip the show, Siah and Yeshua aren't paying your bills. They aren't providing
> you with any dough to fix up your vehicle...

And yet another vote to stay home. That's about three for and three
against, and all from peeps whose opinions I highly respect. I dunno.
I probably do need a shrink for my crazy ass. You have to consider Neil,
you never even got over to my apartment to see how many records, CD's,
tapes and posters I have - including a Common/Mos Def/Mood poster from
the LAST show I saw at the Metro hangin on the wall right across from my
PC (and one of The Coup's "Genocide and Juice" hangin right above it).
I love hip-hop so much I'll do dumb shit like sacrifice job, career, or
even the next meal to get my fix. Always have been that way since as
long as I could remember. I used to sneak to the bank to withdraw funds
from my college account so I could buy new albums at the rekkid sto' -
now how desperate is that? :>

> I'm usually too gassed the night before anything important (like that first day
> at a new job) but I still think it's important to try to be well-rested in the
> morning.
>
> Congrats on the job, btw.

Thanks. I think you might be right but it's STILL not an easy decision,
despite what you might think! :P

Neiladri

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 1 thg 2, 19991/2/99
đến
Flash writes:

>HERE's the problem though - I'm supposed to start work on Monday morning
>at 8 A.M... on February the 8th! The Siah and Yeshua Dapo ED show is the
>night of February 7TH!! Do I go to the show and take the chance of
>showing up late my FIRST day on the job, or do I turn down the chance to
>see two great MC's on a _Deeper Concentration_ tour that I know I'd love?

Flash, I'll put it like this. If this is a real dilemma tor you, we here at

RMHH really do need to start up a fund to get a shrink for your crazy ass.
Skip the show, Siah and Yeshua aren't paying your bills. They aren't providing
you with any dough to fix up your vehicle...

I'm usually too gassed the night before anything important (like that first day

at a new job) but I still think it's important to try to be well-rested in the
morning.

Congrats on the job, btw.

peace,
Neil

J.A. Brown

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 1 thg 2, 19991/2/99
đến
Steve 'Flash' Juon wrote:

> Damn, even my tickets for Smokin' Grooves (and that was 7 GOOD acts) were
> only $38, and I paid a premium because I bought them over the internet.

I'm assuming that you went to the one at Pine Knob. You must
have been up in the seats for 38 bucks huh?
I went to that concert too. It kinda sucked for me though.
I missed Gangstarr because I was out in parking lot slamming beers
with all my friends, and there were way to many people from my city
there, so it was like a little party instead of a phat concert.
One of my friends was geekin out because he thought he bumped into
Canibus, but it turned out to be that alien looking guy from BEP.

Hopefully when I go up to Mt. Pleasant in a few weeks, Busta will
put on a good show. I've already seen him perform like three times,
and I don't own any of his Cd's, but I'm getting in free because
my friend is on some committe. For real, you wouldn't believe
some of the shit Busta is asking for as incentives to come to
Mt. Pleasant. He seriously wants a case of Ruff Rider condoms.
A case? I don't think he's making balloon animals with those,
I think he wants a whole lot of graduate student ass.
Sorry for the nonsense.

Peace,
Chris Brown

"Street politician, connections with chickens,
the night before Christmas popped Charles Dickens"

Kaziranga

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 1 thg 2, 19991/2/99
đến
"Life's a bitch and then ya die that's why we get high cuz ya never know
when ya gonna go, life's a bitch and then ya die that's why we puff la
cuz ya never know when ya gonna go"

AZ

"I'm so low key that ya might not see me, incognito and takin' it easy"

Rakim

"If I said it, I meant it, bite my tongue for no one, call me evil or
unbelievable"

Biggie Smalls

Steve 'Flash' Juon

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 1 thg 2, 19991/2/99
đến
In article <36B567...@tir.com>, jos...@tir.com says...

> I'm assuming that you went to the one at Pine Knob. You must
> have been up in the seats for 38 bucks huh?

Not really. In fact I tried to get down to the front row twice
and got busted both times. Needless to say I wasn't pleased.
That whole venue is a wack place to see a hip-hop show and the
crowd for it was really irritating too.

> Hopefully when I go up to Mt. Pleasant in a few weeks, Busta will
> put on a good show.

Busta was hype at Smokin' Grooves, I will admit that, but...

> He seriously wants a case of Ruff Rider condoms.
> A case? I don't think he's making balloon animals with those,
> I think he wants a whole lot of graduate student ass.

Fuck him anyway. He still owes me for being a no-show at a show
I drove four hours to the Quad Cities to see. Him and the fucking
Lost Boyz.

Sean Flynn

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 1 thg 2, 19991/2/99
đến
On Sat, 30 Jan 1999 17:41:16 -0800, dj.flas...@pobox.com (Steve
'Flash' Juon) wrote:

Here's the way I look at it:

The Night Of The Show
---------------------

Whenever I've started my first day at work, I went to bed at approx.
4:30 am the night before...because I was used to going to bed b/w 5:00
and 7:00 am everyday when I was at school. And I usually had to be up
at 7:30 am to get there for around 8:30 am...

If _I_ were in your position, I'd go to the show, blow off a bunch of
steam, and likely get home and go to bed by 2:30-3:00 am out of sheer
exhaustion.

So if you look at things from my perspective, you actually get a
better nights sleep from going to the show than if you were at home
lying in bed forcing yourself to sleep.

Oh yeah, one thing you CANNOT do at the show is drink excessively or
partake in <insert potent drug here> consumption. Loss of sleep is one
thing...but this shit is guaranteed to make you feel absolutely
revolting the next day...but I'm sure you probably knew about that
already.

The Morning After
-----------------

Chances are, All Music is not going to ask you to defuse warheads or
perform neurosurgery on your first day...in fact, first days (quite
often first weeks) are usually pretty mindless. You'll probably have
to fill out some personal paperwork, sort out your workspace, set up
your desktop, and if they're really ambitious, you may even get a
glance at the website's directory structure or various other
high-level 1st-day type shit.

Besides, staying awake on your first day at a new job is definitely
NOT a problem (unless you're a narco or something...).

So ignore all that "this is your life...you gotta represent on your
first day" type of crap. It's not that big a deal...besides, any
reasonable managing entity would make first impressions based on your
first few months of work...not the first two hours of your career.

Take care,

Sean.

PS - I didn't get to sleep until 3:23 am last night...but I got here
at 9:15 am and surprisingly, it's been a fairly productive morning!

---
Sean Flynn sfl...@pobox.com
http://pobox.com/~sflynn/hiphop.html
Not an Ottawa U Computer Engineering Student Anymore

Kenneth Hyde

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 1 thg 2, 19991/2/99
đến

I think this is a no-brainer, if it is the night before your first day.
Skip the show. The job is much more important. You want to make a good
impression on that first day. Later you could probably save up to go to
NY and see them somewhere...

Shows are cool, but there is something more important at stake....

In life you get a limited set of opportunites (especially when you are
not rich). When these opportunities present themselves you must take
advantage (think of the Falcons in the Superbowl). Put your self in the
best position when those oppotunities present themslevs, which means
skip that show. That's just what I would do.

Peace

Mr. Hyde

HoopKing33

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 1 thg 2, 19991/2/99
đến
>And yet another vote to stay home. That's about three for and three
>against, and all from peeps whose opinions I highly respect. I dunno.
>I probably do need a shrink for my crazy ass. You have to consider Neil,
>you never even got over to my apartment to see how many records, CD's,
>tapes and posters I have - including a Common/Mos Def/Mood poster from
>the LAST show I saw at the Metro hangin on the wall right across from my
>PC (and one of The Coup's "Genocide and Juice" hangin right above it).
>I love hip-hop so much I'll do dumb shit like sacrifice job, career, or
>even the next meal to get my fix. Always have been that way since as
>long as I could remember. I used to sneak to the bank to withdraw funds
>from my college account so I could buy new albums at the rekkid sto' -
>now how desperate is that? :>

If you cannot pull going to work on minimal sleep, then don't go to the show.
But if you can pull it off...do it! I went to an M.O.P./Mixmaster Mike show a
couple months ago. It was on a Sunday night and I had to get up at 6:45 the
next morning. I did it, and was mad tired, but just caught back up on sleep
the next night. The show was in a club, and my friends and I were literrally
on the stage (our knees were hitting it...one of the mic cords was in my mouth
at one point...for real!). The sound stystem was right by my ear, so the
rumbling base just energized me. The concert ended at 2 a.m., with another
hour ride home. But that shit just cleared my head and I was able to get up
with the power of ten men the next day. So the point of this story, you ask?
It IS possible to pull off a concert and bounce to work the next day. But if
you're one of those fragile cats who NEEDS the sleep then skip the show,
because no matter how important hip-hop is to all of us, it isn't paying the
bills. However, if you're like me, your paychecks will be going hip-hop's way
(I'm sure this is the same for you, Steve) as it is so why not go to the
concert?

[Q-Tip]Damn, Phife you got fat/...Yeah, I know it looks pathetic/Ali Shaheed
Muhammad got me doing calisthenics/Needless to say, boy I'm bad to the
bone/Making love to my mic like Jarobi on the phone. -- Q-Tip & Phife

shiznit.inerspeed.net/hoop/

wp_d...@my-dejanews.com

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 2 thg 2, 19992/2/99
đến
dj.flas...@pobox.com (Steve 'Flash' Juon) wrote:
> Damn, you and Buggzy both have good arguments in the "don't go" category.
> Now I'm doubting myself again. Shit, I wouldn't mind so much if I hadn't
> tried looking up Siah and Yeshua Dapo ED on TicketMaster and finding this
> was their ONLY ticket listing. If this is a Deeper Concentration tour it
> must be their last stop on it! :P

well, I just read R Walsh's post to you right now and I have to admit that he
does make a terrific point. Since it is a music site that you will be working
for and this is a once in a blue moon concert, it will show your love for
music if you go to the show, then explain the situation to your boss. Whatever
you finally choose to do, I wish you hella luck in it. Peace

Roland Postle

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 5 thg 2, 19995/2/99
đến
dj.flas...@pobox.com (Steve 'Flash' Juon) wrote:

> HERE's the problem though - I'm supposed to start work on Monday morning
> at 8 A.M... on February the 8th! The Siah and Yeshua Dapo ED show is the
> night of February 7TH!! Do I go to the show and take the chance of
> showing up late my FIRST day on the job, or do I turn down the chance to
> see two great MC's on a _Deeper Concentration_ tour that I know I'd love?

About 20% of people are let on their first day. It's about the only time
you can really get away with it. Of course it depends on the job and the
chances of turning up late and how much you really wanna see the
show......
- Blade

0 tin nhắn mới