the history of "Screw"

1 view

Fee

Sep 28, 2001, 12:03:08 PM9/28/01
Can anyone fill me in on what the fuck it means to "screw"
a song. Bascially your just slowing it down? why?

All I knows is it started down south by DJ Screw. I think.
It has somethin to do with smoking joints dipped in fromaldehyde
and listening to music. hhah.

What the fuck is this all about?

Someone said earlier they "screwed" a song my Me and
Fatboy. I would love to hear it. Post it on A to the L's site.

Peace,
Fee

TJ Xenos

Sep 28, 2001, 3:13:00 PM9/28/01

>All I knows is it started down south by DJ Screw.

Screw is DJ Screw. If you aint screw, and you make a slowdown tpae, and you're
bob or fred, you aint got a screw tape, you got a bob or fred tape....
T.J. Xenos
xen...@student.wit.edu
"I never sleep, coz sleep is the cousin of death" - Nas
"I showed ya your first tec on tour with large professor
then I heard ya album about the tec on your dresser" - Jay-Z

AFXRaven

Sep 28, 2001, 6:54:46 PM9/28/01
Slowin' down a song is just slowing down a song. But since thats what most
people associate DJ Scew with they think that when they slow a song down they
are screwing it.

Screw did more, he made damn good mixed tapes, and it all depended on his mood.
Sometimes he would just slow down the song, other times he'd chop it up, and
bring back certain parts. Sometimes he'd mix in different beats so it was more
like a remix. The only real constant was that it was slowed down.

Now there are a TON of "screw" groups in Texas. Most of them listened to what
screw said and don't call their mixes screwed. For example Beltway 8 says they
"Eighted" a song.

Neways the originator was the best, none of these other crews can mix worth
shit.

Also its not just "smokin joints dipped in formaldehyde" it acctually started
when his boys were "thorwed off the syrup" (Syrup is reallly big in Texas).

Well hope that helped.

If you have anymore questions visit thescrewshop.com They have a forum there
and some audio samples.

Bay Way 41510

Sep 29, 2001, 11:18:45 PM9/29/01
afxr...@aol.com (AFXRaven) wrote in message news:<20010928185446...@mb-cg.aol.com>...

> Slowin' down a song is just slowing down a song. But since thats what most
> people associate DJ Scew with they think that when they slow a song down they
> are screwing it.

yeah

> Screw did more, he made damn good mixed tapes, and it all depended on his mood.

but sometimes he didn't REALLY do more, but it was still screwed (I'm
with you) cause he did it

> Sometimes he would just slow down the song, other times he'd chop it up, and
> bring back certain parts. Sometimes he'd mix in different beats so it was more
> like a remix. The only real constant was that it was slowed down.
>
> Now there are a TON of "screw" groups in Texas. Most of them listened to what
> screw said and don't call their mixes screwed. For example Beltway 8 says they
> "Eighted" a song.

okay, this is ironic, cause I decided about a month ago that I'd stop
saying screwed in reference to MY SHIT (which hasn't been heard yet,
but I'm still plottin' and recording)

SLOWED is the general term it seems (and I'm only gojng by websites
and cheickin these hooridin' kids on message boards)

anyway, the other day, I chopped some shit brought it bhack chopped it
some mo, and I was like "damn, I eighted that shit (in reference to a
lot of Beltway 8 shit I heard where they do just that), but
consequently, it ain't goin'on my tape as "eighted", you know?

> Neways the originator was the best, none of these other crews can mix worth
> shit.
>
> Also its not just "smokin joints dipped in formaldehyde" it acctually started
> when his boys were "thorwed off the syrup" (Syrup is reallly big in Texas).
>
> Well hope that helped.
>
> If you have anymore questions visit thescrewshop.com They have a forum there
> and some audio samples.

one love AFX Raven, hit me up at screwol...@onebox.com, hook me
up with some tapes or something, I'm out here in that Oakland trying
to vibe, but I can't file-share no more, so let me know what's goin'
on out in that Screwston

STRATEGY

AFXRaven

Sep 30, 2001, 8:56:32 PM9/30/01
>one love AFX Raven, hit me up at screwol...@onebox.com, hook me
>up with some tapes or something, I'm out here in that Oakland trying
>to vibe, but I can't file-share no more, so let me know what's goin'
>on out in that Screwston

LOL man, see the thing is that I'm just a So-cal boy that knows a lil' bit
about the screw style. I've always been curious if anyone in Cali did it. I'd
just slow down songs (I made a lil' Cash Money Records one) but then I heard
"Mind Went Blank" screwed and stuff on 3 N the Morning and I just gave up cuz I
felt I could never do it the way DJ Screw did with different beats and what
not.

But how do you do yours? Do you use tables or the computer. If computer what
programs? I used to do mine on goldwave.

Bay Way 41510

Oct 1, 2001, 1:07:30 PM10/1/01
afxr...@aol.com (AFXRaven) wrote in message news:<20010930205632...@mb-mq.aol.com>...

> >one love AFX Raven, hit me up at screwol...@onebox.com, hook me
> >up with some tapes or something, I'm out here in that Oakland trying
> >to vibe, but I can't file-share no more, so let me know what's goin'
> >on out in that Screwston
> >

> LOL man, see the thing is that I'm just a So-cal boy that knows a lil' bit
> about the screw style. I've always been curious if anyone in Cali did it. I'd
> just slow down songs (I made a lil' Cash Money Records one) but then I heard
> "Mind Went Blank" screwed and stuff on 3 N the Morning and I just gave up cuz I
> felt I could never do it the way DJ Screw did with different beats and what
> not.
>
> But how do you do yours?

well first off, I feel that it is my destiny, because I used to DJ
back in the early to mid-eighties, and a lot of the shit I did it
terms of slowing shit down (but never to the degree that Screw did,
and never for an entire mix-tape. honestly, I kind of remember
backing off it, cuae those were the boombox days, and people didn't
like it when it sounded like your batteries were low, so I had no fan
support it was just shit I did for me) I actually heard (or heard
that) Screw used to also do, like: playing the 45rpm 12" of Mantronix
"Fresh Is The Word" at 33rpm and also using hand control to make two
records mix when they're pitched further apart than the 1200's
capabilities. Also, I found this thing on Napster called "Screw
Classics" where he mixes LL's "Rock The Bells" with Spice 1 "Welcome
To The Ghetto" instrumental (except mine wasn't slowed, but otherwise
he did the same thing I did in terms of blending it all the way thru.
I think maybe I did it first (I don't know when he did it), but it
doesn't really matter, he was dope like you said

Do you use tables or the computer.

well, before I fixed my one remaining turntable, I was slowing mp3's
on winamp, not recording, just to listen to, count some beats, and
plot on some shit for when I had the right equipment. well, I'm still
not there, but I got one 1200 up, my shitty Gemini, and mixing on a
MiniDisk 4-track

If computer what
> programs? I used to do mine on goldwave.

Haven't really done anything PC-based yet other than fooling around, I
want to eventually integrate both for my mixed tapes, slowed and
otherwise

STRATEGY

AFXRaven

Oct 1, 2001, 5:18:07 PM10/1/01
Thats tight man, it sounds like you could have somethin goin when you get your
equipment up. When you do, hit me up.

I'd also like to bring somethin else up about Screw. Over at the screwshop a
lot of people talk about the underlying lessons about life that screw was
trying to teach you though his tapes. It involved the phrases that he brought
back. He'd do it not just cuz it sounded dope but it was Screw talking to you
though others words. I haven't heard enough any of his real tapes but I'd like
to hear that.

Also have you heard that DJ Screw the Legend 2 Disc? It has this song "Bangin'
Screw" and to me thats like the epitome of a screw song.

Well thats bout it

peace

TJ Xenos

Oct 1, 2001, 7:04:05 PM10/1/01

>Also have you heard that DJ Screw the Legend 2 Disc? It has this song
>"Bangin'
>Screw" and to me thats like the epitome of a screw song.
>
>Well thats bout it

I got that work. The bangin screw joint is hot. I can't listen to the rest of
the cd coz i keep playiin that....

tim schnetgoeke

Oct 2, 2001, 4:17:47 PM10/2/01
on 1 Oct 2001 10:07:30 -0700, screwol...@onebox.com (Bay Way
41510) wrote:

>that) Screw used to also do, like: playing the 45rpm 12" of Mantronix
>"Fresh Is The Word" at 33rpm and also using hand control to make two
>records mix when they're pitched further apart than the 1200's
>capabilities.

this is not related to screw but reading the post reminded me that i
got this compilation called "dj premier presents: time to chill" and
there's one track on it that should be played on 45rpm. homeboy has
the 12" - otherwise i wouldn't have thought of playing it faster.

it's a weird compilation, because i wouldn't associate any of the
tracks with premo... nujazz to jazz to i don't know what...

tim
--
-- http://go.to/rmhh/ -- tim schnetgoeke
-> homepage of rec.music.hip-hop <- www.djtimber.de

Bay Way 41510

Oct 3, 2001, 12:07:47 PM10/3/01
afxr...@aol.com (AFXRaven) wrote in message news:<20011001171807...@mb-fo.aol.com>...

> Thats tight man, it sounds like you could have somethin goin when you get your
> equipment up. When you do, hit me up.

ok

I've already done a "practice tape" (I think it's actually good, but
it's all old shit, because I'm a couple of months (at least) away from
buying new records. Lately I've been focusing on a lot of the old CMW
singles and some old bay shit like Spice 1 & Richie Rich. oh, also
Paris. Those deep voice rappers sound monster as fuck when they're
slowed. Mostly though, I consider how it makes the music sound over
what it does to the rapper...

> I'd also like to bring somethin else up about Screw. Over at the screwshop a
> lot of people talk about the underlying lessons about life that screw was
> trying to teach you though his tapes. It involved the phrases that he brought
> back. He'd do it not just cuz it sounded dope but it was Screw talking to you
> though others words. I haven't heard enough any of his real tapes but I'd like
> to hear that.
>
> Also have you heard that DJ Screw the Legend 2 Disc? It has this song "Bangin'
> Screw" and to me thats like the epitome of a screw song.

man, I'm not even knowin', I don't have a single tape, just a bunch of
little snippets of mix tapes and shit (napster, gnutella, etc)

> Well thats bout it
>
> peace

STRATEGY