State Park Police arrest 68 during Phish concert weekend

booie

Jun 23, 2010, 6:31:54 AM6/23/10
State Park Police arrest 68 during Phish concert weekend
Published: Tuesday, June 22, 2010

http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2010/06/22/news/doc4c201e1961659593532062.txt

SARATOGA SPRINGS — New York State Park Police made 68 arrests,
including 18 for felony drug charges and one for felony assault, at
the Saturday and Sunday Phish concerts at Saratoga Performing Arts
Center.

Forty arrests were made Saturday and 28 were made Sunday.

The 14 felony drug arrests made Saturday were for criminal sale of a
controlled substance, criminal possession of a controlled substance
and criminal possession of marijuana, police said.

On Saturday, police also charged 21 people with drug-related
misdemeanors and violations (lower-level drug, marijuana and nitrous
oxide possession charges), three people were charged with driving
while intoxicated and one was charged with felony tampering with
evidence. One person was charged with misdemeanor drug possession.

Also, five tickets were issued for alcohol violations.

On Sunday, four more felony drug charges were made. One person was
also charged with misdemeanor driving while intoxicated. In addition,
21 more people were charged with drug-related misdemeanors and
violations — one for felony assault and one each for misdemeanor
driving while intoxicated and criminal trespass.

Three tickets were issued for alcohol violations.

— By Paul Post
.Comments
The following are comments from the readers. In no way do they
represent the view of saratogian.com.

Accolite2 wrote on Jun 22, 2010 6:18 AM:

" Why are we letting SPAC put on a so called concert which is a magnet
for low life's to come to our CITY.There is no place here for groups
like Phish. "

Report Abuse

RICH1102 wrote on Jun 22, 2010 8:15 AM:

" The number of arrests for the number of people there isn't as bad as
it sounds. The police are targeting people for these violations so the
arrest numbers are going to increase. A message is being sent that
drugs and alcohol abuse is going to get you in trouble. I'm sure that
if their actions didn't draw attention to themselves they wouldn't
have been arrested.
Also to Accolite2. Many of these low lifes are hard working people
letting off steam from their work week. Without thes concerts SPAC
would be out of business. Also ask the local business people how much
money these"low lifes" spend over the 2 days of the concert. Just
think, those arrested will pay fines that goes back into the city
budget.
Stop bing a SNOB. "

Report Abuse

joema wrote on Jun 22, 2010 8:17 AM:

" Accolite, although I could give a crap about Phish or their fans, I
do believe one of the best parts of living in America is that its a
FREE COUNTRY. OMG a band was playing at a concert venue at Spac and
people were having fun??? Oh no we need to put a stop to this
immediately. Maybe we should just stick to Micheal Bolton playing Spac
every night, would that be to your liking? Get over it, drugs are
EVERYWHERE "

Report Abuse

broadway billy wrote on Jun 22, 2010 8:33 AM:

" Go easy on Accolite.

Just another example of our new immigrant citizens here in Saratoga;
the kind that don't know a soul and haven't left their homes since
they got here. Just sits in the darkness with the shades pulled and
the 5 deadbolts securely locked.

But writed post cards to the kids at Xmas saying "I live in Paradise!"
"

Report Abuse

constitutionfan wrote on Jun 22, 2010 8:51 AM:

" Billy...I think you're the one sitting in the dark with your shades
pulled down! You can't write, you can't spell and you once again, miss
the point. Saratoga is a destination, a party place. It always has
been. Party people, low lives or not, spend money. Saratoga LOVES
money, be it being spent on food, booze or fines. We do not live in
Paradise, we live in a college, tourist, Great American Party Town,
and we like it that way! "

Report Abuse

saratogiansince1973 wrote on Jun 22, 2010 8:52 AM:

" SPAC is the PERFECT venue for groups like PHISH...

And DMB...

And any other artist that can attract 60k people.

Glad to have their tax $. Now all we need to do is charge them all $2
and we'd have the ability to offset the costs even more... or (heaven
forbid) have the city make some $ on an event like this.

Accolite, if you don't like big events like this one at SPAC, you
moved to the wrong place. These events have been a staple for a long,
long time. "

Report Abuse

Accolite2 wrote on Jun 22, 2010 9:23 AM:

" Boy I really riled up the liberal,pinko, communists who probably are
either on welfare or some other government handout or bailout. Law
abiding citizens are better off without this so called drug money this
rifraf brings to Saratoga Springs. "

Report Abuse

FourStarDave wrote on Jun 22, 2010 9:24 AM:

" Kudos to the Police for cracking down on those who over indulge.

SPAC is one of the best outdoor venues in the Country and we should
all be thankful to have it in our back yard. "

Report Abuse

FourStarDave wrote on Jun 22, 2010 9:47 AM:

" Accolite2,

Although I don't know you, with words like pinko and communists you
sound like a very crusty old guy knocking on death's door angry at the
whole World for having never really enjoyed it.

Not everyone who attends a Phish concert or concerts at SPAC are out
of work drug addicts. In fact I would say they are the vast minority
that receive a majority of the press.

Break out your walker or wheel chair and get out and enjoy the area
you live in while you still have time. "

Report Abuse

SpaGuy wrote on Jun 22, 2010 9:51 AM:

" Just running a few numbers. I think I read that there were 30K
people for each Phish show. Lets factor in people who went to both
shows so we had 40K fans who were in town for the shows. 68 were
arrested. That means 0.17% of the Phish fans were arrested, during
shows where the police were being proactive. What a terrible fan
base.

Feel to correct my math of assumptions, but I think you get the point.
"

Report Abuse

dtoga3 wrote on Jun 22, 2010 9:53 AM:

" Hey Accolite - I am not a liberal and I probably had a higher income
in June than you did all year. Guess what? I loved the phish shows. I
wish they would play 4 nights. Maybe you should plan your vacations
around when the big bad bands are playing at SPAC. "

Report Abuse

joema wrote on Jun 22, 2010 9:53 AM:

" Pinko communists lol 0 for 2 fool, only a communist would sit in
their arm chair, judge and want to shut events and concerts like this
down. Seems like your not much for freedoms pal. I hear Argyle is nice
this time of year, maybe you should move out there. "

Report Abuse

joema wrote on Jun 22, 2010 9:59 AM:

" Actually spa guy, your number is a little high, its .0017 percent of
the fans that were arrested. Not even a needle in a haystack. "

Report Abuse

Seriously? wrote on Jun 22, 2010 10:15 AM:

" Joema, 68/40,000 = 0.0017, or .17%.

Also, to the editor, is there any way to add a spell-check function to
this system -- reading these posts can be agonizing... "

Report Abuse

andthereoff wrote on Jun 22, 2010 10:16 AM:

" Joema, go back to 3rd grade math. "

Report Abuse

SpaGuy wrote on Jun 22, 2010 10:18 AM:

" I re-read it over and over and I never see the typo or error until
the moment I hit the Post Comment button. It kills me every time. "

Report Abuse

Web editor wrote on Jun 22, 2010 10:22 AM:

" No edit option just yet, but as we look to upgrade our web platform
in the future that's an option that will hopefully be included. "

Report Abuse

logic1 wrote on Jun 22, 2010 10:40 AM:

" A so called "concert" like this should be carried on in a huge
field. Tell me all those hard working folk came her to listen to Phish
alone? No, they came to party, wallow, dope, drink, and "like hang
out" with a hoard of like folk. No problem with that, but hold that in
a big old field where nothing can be hurt or destroyed and they can
all do a smelly group hug. The taxpayer money goes into keeping SPAC
in shape and the venue is for much smaller crowds. Regular size
attendance means you can enjoy the accoustics, and park surroundings.
This is a case of too many people in a place not designed for mob
concert stuff. I bet it cost a lot of money to clean up after that
clan. Oh yeah..carry in carry out..right. "

Report Abuse

A Worker in the Fields wrote on Jun 22, 2010 11:08 AM:

" I is certainly about time that the State of New York, the Office of
Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation got their respective heads
out of the sand, woke up and smelled the coffee, and let the dedicated
officers of the New York State Park Police do their jobs!

SPAC is a great venue, but was never designed to accomodate the crowds
that these bands generate. Plus, the State of New York does not have
the money to make the necessary repairs to the facility to allow it to
accomodate these types of concerts! Ergo, therefore, they are in a no-
win situation! If you add the facts pointed out by RICH1102, you have
a more complete story, which is not the entire full story! "

Report Abuse

DMC_Hunter wrote on Jun 22, 2010 11:50 AM:

" My friends and I attended. I've been going to SPAC since the
Grateful Dead days.

We gladly spent our hard earn cash in Saratoga. I love the town!
We rented 4 hotel rooms for 2 nights..
Ate ate at local restaurants for breakfast and lunch...
We purchased food for tailgating form local stores.
And attended local bars after the show.

So - we put a lot into the community. And from what I saw people in
town were well behaved.

Personally I'd rather see Phish at Bethel Woods as it's newer and not
as up tight with the fans.

But until then - SPAC it is! "

Report Abuse

DMC_Hunter wrote on Jun 22, 2010 12:00 PM:

" Oh - one more thing -

A big "thank you" to the town of Saratoga for having us!!! We had a
great time!

See you at the races! "

Report Abuse

freequenter wrote on Jun 22, 2010 12:26 PM:

" First, how is a weekend with 30k+ people a night a "so called
concert"? Pretty sure that qualifies. Second, I agree that SPAC is a
great venue I just dont believe that they would sell more tickets than
they should or could. "

Report Abuse

togaguy13 wrote on Jun 22, 2010 12:57 PM:

" Thats all they caught. I am sure that there were many more people
abusing drugs at the Phish concert. Bands like them should not be
allowed here. They are a blight on society and so are the fans. The
fans are no better then locusts. They swarm into town and bring
nothing but headaches and trouble. "

Report Abuse

DMC_Hunter wrote on Jun 22, 2010 1:07 PM:

" To togaguy13

So should all the businesses give their money back since it was all
"drug money"?

Most fans I know are stable people with good jobs - that just want to
listen to music, let their hair down and dance.

It's too bad people can't see that there are more good then bad.

Again - thanks Saratoga! We had a great time staying in town! "

Report Abuse

HorseRacing19 wrote on Jun 22, 2010 1:24 PM:

" " Why are we letting SPAC put on a so called concert which is a
magnet for low life's to come to our CITY.There is no place here for
groups like Phish. "

Accolite2 - You are ridiculous. I spend most of my summers in the area
and go to SPAC for many other things than phish concerts and I have to
say that it is the way that events are handled there that is a
problem, everything from vending to parking to security to traffic.
Most of the "low life's" at the concert are locals that are trying to
take advantage of making money off of the large crowd. If you don't
believe me, go sit in the parking lot of Stewart's shops on Route 50
on any given day and watch what comes in and out of the parking lot.
SPAC oversells each concert and this year they made beer so miserable
to get...it was cheaper, safer and easier to get hard drugs inside the
venue than it was to wait in the beer lines. DWI and alcohol related
offenses happen at horse races too, not just concerts. If you want to
limit drugs and other violations, have better control over the venue
and actually plan for 20,000 people to come to your town. I would like
to see Saratoga survive without concerts, horse racing and other
events....natural springs alone will not attract money... "

Report Abuse

connie wrote on Jun 22, 2010 1:25 PM:

" The Times Union had a bunch of Phish concert goers. They were
extremely, for the most part, very attractive people dressed nicely
and well groomed. Made me wonder anyone would object to them. "

Report Abuse

DMC_Hunter wrote on Jun 22, 2010 1:37 PM:

" Accolite2 - as an elected official I'd expect better of you as far
as looking a a whole group of people and not generalizing.
I've seen more people drunk beyond belief watching your horses race
then at the SPAC parking lot "

Report Abuse

togaguy13 wrote on Jun 22, 2010 1:44 PM:

" Its a sad day when people over look a serious problem like drug use
for money. Wasn't the lead singer arrested not to long ago for cocaine
possession. He is a great role model and someone I want in my
community. If your business is depending of the money from Phish drug
users then shut down and go somewhere else, your not wanted here. "

Report Abuse

DMC_Hunter wrote on Jun 22, 2010 1:50 PM:

" togaguy...

My point is. It's not drug money that feeds the economy in your town
on this weekend of Phish. It's hard earned cash from 40 hours a week
thats saved for this 'vacation'.

I don't know where drug dealers stay when in town but the people I was
with are not drug dealers. "

Report Abuse

joema wrote on Jun 22, 2010 2:02 PM:

" Togaguy, you attitude is not wanted here. Its the same thing every
year, the same concerts the same track and the same b*tching from the
same idiots every year that want to take anything fun out of this
town. Its much easier if you just picked up and left rather than
trying to change everything about this town that most people love. "

Report Abuse

DMC_Hunter wrote on Jun 22, 2010 2:02 PM:

" You assume I do drugs?

why? Because I like a certain music?

Using you assumptions...
Can I assume that all horse race fans are raging alcoholics? "

Report Abuse

togaguy13 wrote on Jun 22, 2010 2:08 PM:

" I've lived in Saratoga for 35+ years. I was born here, raised here
and have raised my own child here. Saratoga has done nothing but get
worse and worse. Between high rise building, All the NYC transplants
and to many people over looking common sense and letting things like
drug abusing concerts and crime to spend in our fair city makes me
sick "

Report Abuse

DMC_Hunter wrote on Jun 22, 2010 2:19 PM:

" togaguy

Don't forget the drunk drivers after the races... And the drunken
fights during the races... "

Report Abuse

Maxwell Pad wrote on Jun 22, 2010 2:23 PM:

" toga guy, you said pot and "cock" head friends. That is hilarious.
Freudian slip? "

Report Abuse

dovetail wrote on Jun 22, 2010 2:29 PM:

" Please move, then. I'd take a hundred "transplants" with good
attitudes over all of you who name call, judge, generalize, and
otherwise make me shake my head. "

Report Abuse

joema wrote on Jun 22, 2010 2:31 PM:

" Togaguy, Argyle doesnt have these problems you know, neither does
Hague or Northville or any quaint little town around Saratoga that you
should obviously look in to moving to. Why stay here when you hate
Saratoga so much for what it is?? Oh and you were born and raised here
is no reason for you to stay. Many people have moved out of here that
were born and raised. "

Report Abuse

realign2010 wrote on Jun 22, 2010 2:36 PM:

" This is the most outrageous thread I've ever read. So I guess no one
in the city has lived here longer than "toga guy", and therefore his
opinion trumps all others. My guess is that people who don't like
Phish are pretty much just uptight people who are against anything
they don't understand. I mean really, the entire Gideon Putnam was
full of normal people, all in town for the weekend for the shows. And
they probably even did a couple of balloons while they were here too,
for old time sake. "

Report Abuse

DMC_Hunter wrote on Jun 22, 2010 2:47 PM:

" I was talking to someone before the Saturday show about the wedding
that was going on. The person said she would be appalled if she had
her wedding during a Phish concert with all the traffic, etc...
I said - maybe they are fans? Maybe they WANTED to get married at a
show.. From what I hear it was exactly that!

I guess everyone has their own point of view.. :) "

Report Abuse

horseracing19 wrote on Jun 22, 2010 3:03 PM:

" " I've lived in Saratoga for 35+ years. I was born here, raised here
and have raised my own child here. Saratoga has done nothing but get
worse and worse. Between high rise building, All the NYC transplants
and to many people over looking common sense and letting things like
drug abusing concerts and crime to spend in our fair city makes me
sick "

togaguy13 - If you can assume that everyone from outside of Saratoga
are drug users than I can make the assumption that anyone born in
raised in Saratoga is poor, white trash since the majority of nice
properties in Saratoga are owned by "outside folk" and not people born
and raised in Saratoga. Each year there is a fight on these message
boards or in the paper with the drug use, DWIs, etc. that concerts
bring to town. If you did your research and looked at the police
blotters, read the newspaper articles, etc. you would see that most of
the offenses were AGAINST people that live IN OR AROUND Saratoga. I
love Saratoga and most likely spend more time and money on the local
business there than you do togaguy. By your standards, Saratoga should
probably also get rid of Skidmore since all college students are
potheads and attend all these concerts right? You should be lucky that
large events keep Saratoga's economy afloat in the current economy. "

Report Abuse

jh4327 wrote on Jun 22, 2010 3:55 PM:

" I happen to like Phish's music but I don't like their fans that
much. Lets have a happy medium and get Regal Cinema to bring us their
3D concert. "

Report Abuse

Saratoga01 wrote on Jun 22, 2010 4:22 PM:

" This behavior is sickening. Saratoga has gone downhill every year as
more people from this generation grow up and become adults. Disgusting
is what it is. Walking their dogs on Broadway, talking on their phones
while driving, using OMG and LOL in blogs. Do you think the men and
women of this country would volunteer or alow themselves to be drafted
into service like they did in WW2? No wonder foriegners hate us so
much. It's the all about me generation that doesn't care about
anything but themselves. Look at the trash you people leave after
every concert. Ever think about cleaning up after yourselves? "

Report Abuse

joema wrote on Jun 22, 2010 4:31 PM:

" LOL /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ "

Report Abuse

owell wrote on Jun 22, 2010 4:40 PM:

" hahahahahhah it is all about me. i walk my dog while on my phone and
driving at the same time, i love it. I do it just for you, or maybe i
dont care about you, i dont know you, i'm only thinking about myself "

Report Abuse

owell wrote on Jun 22, 2010 4:51 PM:

" Things that should lead to jail time :
Walking your dogs on Broadway
talking on your phone while driving
using OMG and LOL in blogs

Last time i was aware we DON'T need a draft because enough Brave men
and women VOLUNTEER!

and if we didn't leave trash at the concert there wouldn't be jobs for
the people that pick it up. Why should i carry my trash out i need my
hands free to respond to your comments with OMG on official blogs.

Thanks "

Report Abuse

samm wrote on Jun 22, 2010 5:09 PM:

" Togaguy,,,,,,really hard to believe you grew up here with a 'handle'
like toga. The toga, a distinctive garment of Ancient Rome.

Hate the newly coined 'toga' when referring to my city and/or the
teams of the high school. "

Report Abuse

FourStarDave wrote on Jun 22, 2010 5:50 PM:

" samm,

I can't help but agree with you on "toga". Seems to me that was always
how the immature out of town party going bar hoppers referred to
Saratoga. "

Report Abuse

supremelorax wrote on Jun 22, 2010 6:17 PM:

" All of you who are having such a problem with this supposed
"invasion" of our town. Take a chance and actually attend one of these
events, and get over your fear. "

Report Abuse

Saratoga01 wrote on Jun 22, 2010 6:35 PM:

" Typical responses by generation ME who have never served overseas. "

Report Abuse

tla wrote on Jun 22, 2010 6:44 PM:

" Sterotyping really gets under my skin. I work a full time job, have
been since i was 16. Never in my life payed a bill late or bounced a
check. And because i listen to a certain band im put in a "loser drug
attack" category. And surprise surprise i dont do drugs! Ive never
watched a band that actually brought tears to my eyes because they
were so breathtaking. Before you categorize me you should actually
listen to the music. And btw Toga the first step is admitting you were
powerless over your addiction and that your life has become
unmanageable. Trey is working the steps dont judge him because of
mistakes hes made. "

Report Abuse

togasfallingapart wrote on Jun 22, 2010 7:10 PM:

" Toga guy, here is a hard slap of reality for you, Saratoga is a coke
haven, so if you hate on a musician and his fans for his past
infractions, then you need to take a solid look at your locale. By the
way, that lead singer guy/guitarist, lived in this city you knuckle
head, so wake up. He did his time and is as far as anyone knows, still
sober, which was part of his realization that he wanted to get Phish
back together. And last I checked, he never asked to be a role model,
he just loves to play music. The whole band are frequent visitors of
Saratoga, and have been for years, I remember in my early teens seeing
them walk around the city shopping, while not on tour, because they
love the city, and then people like you repay them for their love with
venom laced words. They used to play in Saratoga before they broke,
that's right, they played right on Caroline, a little bar called
Aiko's (you may remember it if you are in fact a life long resident),
and ever since, when they play SPAC, it is like a homecoming, which is
why Saratoga usually gets so many memorable shows. And Mr. Togaguy, if
you really think a band that fuses jazz, improv, funk, reggae, and
rock is so awful you need to get your ears checked, the music may not
be for everyone, but there is certainly no doubt that they are
extremely skilled musicians, but why should I try to tell you that,
you have probably never heard any of their music and would probably
never try to view their music with an open mind.

I have lived in this town for 30+ years, was born and raised here,
moved away for a short time, and realized, there is no place like
Saratoga Springs. No matter where you go, there are drugs, no matter
what concert you go to, there are drugs. Some of the very people you
solicit for goods and services are in fact users, I will guarantee you
that, it may be unfortunate, but that is the world we live in, and
does not mean every young person, or concert lover is an addict.

The bands that have been playing SPAC from the very beginning have
included quite a few groups and fans that are notorious for drug use,
however you misguidedly point your finger at one generation and one
band.

Residents like you bring me great shame.....

like someone said before, Argyle's not to far away, and it's a dry
town.... sounds fitting for a man with such a dry outlook on things.

And Accolite, you are just a nut....

Saratoga01, what the hell are you talking about? Wait is this June
Clever? No way! How's Wally and the Beav?

You people are seriously outrageous and an EMBARRASSMENT to Saratoga.

Sorry about the toga handle I have, not so immature these days, and
have used that term as a local since I was a tyke. "

Report Abuse

jd salinger wrote on Jun 22, 2010 9:38 PM:

" Sam and fourstar,

Hate to break it to you geniuses but Toga is not NEW. It wasn't coined
yesterday you carpetbaggers. Get your facts straight been using it and
the highschool teams have been using it since the sixties. Dweebs !!!
"

Report Abuse

jd salinger wrote on Jun 22, 2010 9:39 PM:

" Let us all hope the hippies and jobless potheads feel so much
pressure about getting busted that this lousy no album selling
greatful dead wannbe band starts playing other venues and leaves toga
alone. "

Report Abuse

FourStarDave wrote on Jun 22, 2010 10:37 PM:

" I was born and raised here.

"highschool teams have been using it since the sixties."

Like I said Immature term for our City.

Since the '60s hmmm, maybe the hippies you hate came up with the
nickname "

Report Abuse

julius wrote on Jun 22, 2010 10:43 PM:

" After reading this thread, I actually created an account in order to
respond.

I just can't believe how uptight, closed minded and hypocritical some
of you are. It's MUSIC. It's a GOOD TIME.
I am 40, and a business owner with a graduate degree, husband and 2
toddlers. My dearest friends fit the same "demographic" (for those of
you insisting on classifying others) and we count the days until we
see Phish and can spend the entire weekend together. We had an awesome
time, acted responsibly, and got home to our adorable kids and jobs.
There are other ways to pump money into Saratoga's economy, or into
SPAC. Open extra beer gardens and concession lines. I'd buy an extra
$12 (yes $12) mediocre beer if I didn't have to wait so long.

I have seen Phish close to 100 times since 1993. I must be a total
lowlife who can't hold a job, right?

So for those of you with your idiodic posts, stay away from me and
don't ruin my good time with my friends and favorite band.

pps. somebody should check their ability to convert from fractions to
percentages. If .17% of the attendees were arrested, that is almost 2
out of every 10 people. Hmmmm. "

Report Abuse

jd salinger wrote on Jun 22, 2010 10:55 PM:

" If born and raised here you should be ashamed of yourself for your
comments. A forty year old moniker is all of a sudden immature for you
since you gained your yuppie station huh.

Phish is a lousy group, they barely have enough money to drive here to
perform. Tell me how many Platinum Albmums phish has? I really don't
care if 1.2% of their audience has some form of college degree lady,
the crowd is overwhelmingly, dirty, jobless hippies you following them
to 100 plus shows in 17 yrs is proof of that. Just like the Dead they
tour constantly cuz their music is Shtt and they sell no albums, they
just have a devoted following of hippies and dope heads who like to
dance around like spastics for two hours with no idea what planet they
are on. "

Report Abuse

togasfallingapart wrote on Jun 22, 2010 10:57 PM:

" JD

Phish is in no way a dead wannabe, they play a completely different
style of music, which is a big reason, many Dead fans are not fans of
Phish. To say Phish is a lousy band is a major injustice, just because
some (and I stress, SOME) of their fans are made up of new age hippies
and enjoy living off of unemployment, does not mean that they are a
lousy band. most of their fans are well educated, have good jobs, are
economically stable, and like to catch a few shows when they tour,
because, unlike most bands that you see on a major level each show is
unique by set list and experience, which is the only similarity to the
dead.

As far as record sales go, I've never checked their sales statistics,
and to be honest, really don't have any interest. I personally have
each of their studio albums, because I like to hear the songs in a
crisp setting from time to time, but the majority of Phish fans,
including myself, enjoy the live recordings, because of their eclectic
sets and improvisations. You used to only be able to get bootlegs and
an every now and then live cd, but Phish heard their fans and began
releasing all of their shows from soundboard recordings. Given the
trading community, Phish fans share and trade those shows, so that is
something you won't see in the billboard soundscans. Phish doesn't
need successful studio albums or hit singles on radio stations, that
force feed the newest fad that we will all joke about in ten years.
They obviously have a much larger audience than one, such as yourself,
would probably ever expect, being as they sellout every venue they
play, whether it be for one night, two nights, or four, and they also
have a large enough following that they are able to throw multiple day
festivals, where they are the only band that plays during the day, and
each night. The best part is, you never have the same rehashed show,
and you never get the same songs. That's a lot of music for a lousy
ban to try and pull off.

Another thing that separates Phish from bands like Dave Matthews,
Metallica, The Dead, Lady Gaga, The Eagles or whoever you mention, is
the fact that they sell all of their tickets, whether it be lawn,
amphitheater, front row or nosebleeds for the same price, the only
time I have seen a difference in ticket price was a $25 difference
which is quite different than say Bon Jovi who is playing at SPAC this
year. Phish also goes to extremes to take tickets out of the hands of
scalpers and ticket agents, so their fans do not have to be over
priced.

What I guess I am saying is, Although you may not enjoy their music,
it is a far stretch to call them a lousy band, musically, as they are
all extremely talented, whether you like their music or not (that is
not an opinion or something you can argue, it is a cold hard fact), or
by way of business sense, as they do right by their fans, by keeping
costs down and providing them access to their music in a fashion that
other bands should learn from. It is also silly to stereotype 25,000
fans at a show, on the 1,000 that are the traditional hippy. "

Report Abuse

jd salinger wrote on Jun 22, 2010 11:05 PM:

" An another thing I am so sick of all you hippie Phish heads acting
like 25 million dollars gets pumped into the economy when these idiots
show up. Apart from Grampy's, Mobile and Stewarts and MAYBE a few
hotels where do you think these pin heads spend their money??? Are you
honestly trying to tell me that Lillians is booking dinner parties for
people coming to town to see Phish???????? Do you really think the art
galleries and clothing stores on broadway see an up-tick in business
when phish is here? You're dumber than I thought if you say that.
Apart from a boost to the gas stations beer, gas and cigarette sales
and lets not forget rolling paper sales what is the net impact on the
community? Some fast food joints on south broadway and off exit 13n
sell a few more bags of combos and beef jerky. You idiots and your
pontifications about all the billions of dollars in tax revenue sound
like idiots it is patently untrue. If phish NEVER shows up again the
local merchants are not all going to be out front with auction signs
and the moving truck showing up saying "god I wish phish was back"

Get jobs and maybe some soap you lame phishites. "

Report Abuse

jd salinger wrote on Jun 22, 2010 11:14 PM:

" fallingapart,

Great, your defense of phish's record sales or lack there of is that
you fans use the barter system. Something used in 1850, or roughly the
last time half the phish fans bathed grat.

Selling out venues is not hard when the same 30,000 dweebs follow them
around the country, if you can sit there and try to tell me with a
straight face that 1000 fans out of 25,000 are the weird hippies, you
need some serious help my friend. If you reversed those numbers I
would agree and maybe have a shred of respect for what you are saying.
To include Phish in the same sentence as the Eagles, Metallica and Bon
Jovi is vomit inducing. Frankly you have said enough right there, what
will be your next comparison, Mott the Hoople, Red Bone and Mungo
Jerry to the Rolling Stones and the Beatles? The Plane has crashed
into the mountain, you have derailed. "

Report Abuse

togasfallingapart wrote on Jun 22, 2010 11:16 PM:

" All of the members of Phish are actually very well off, but they are
level headed guys that do enjoy their Volvo's. JD, Trey Anastasio
lived in one of the most expensive units in the Saratoga Condos on
Railroad, so if they can barely make the trip, how'd he pull that off?

They employ as a company people to archive their shows and fund their
own concerts. How is that a band that that has no money?

They broke up, because they didn't want to play as Phish for a time,
all of the members played in side projects and solo projects playing
small clubs and small theaters, does that sound like a group that
needed to tour for a band of traveling hippies for money? No they gave
up Phish for a time, and continued to play in small venues, because
they love making music. A real musician, rich or poor, will never stop
making music, and they were in a position financially where they were
able to break away from their major cash cow and live comfortably, but
still play on.

By the way, Trey Anastasio's net worth is $65 million, not too shabby
if you ask me.

One of your platinum selling artists, Neil Pert from Rush is only
worth $22 million.

Boyd Tinsley from Dave Matthews Band, a major, multi-platinum band,
only $50 million, so it seems like they do ok for themselves. "

Report Abuse

julius wrote on Jun 22, 2010 11:19 PM:

" jd...we get it...you hate Phish. "

Report Abuse

bekyndnunwind wrote on Jun 22, 2010 11:23 PM:

" Hello JD,

To answer your question Phish has two platinum albums, eight gold
albums, one platinum DVD and one gold DVD.

I response to your other biased, judgmental comments I would like to
say that I am a Phish fan myself, and out of every friend I have ever
had that I saw Phish shows with we ALL have college degrees, and are
successful, self actualized human beings that contribute to society
and our local communities.

No, I do not use drugs, and frankly I think your opinion is
misinformed and warped.

Furthermore, to the person that commented about Phish not having
barely any money, you should know that all of the band members are
living comfortably, and that much of their profit is donated to fund
music education, cancer research and other causes that enrich society.

I feel bad that some of you stereotype and generalize a friendly group
of music loving people into "smelly, unemployed, drug using hippies".
Maybe someday if you have a child or grandchild that loves music you
will stop hating things you have no understanding of.

Either way, I respect your opinion and wish you the best of luck. I
will not be back here to read any other useless comments you choose to
post. "

Report Abuse

jd salinger wrote on Jun 22, 2010 11:26 PM:

" First of all I think DMB SUCKS and he is a left wing idiot who runs
his mouth about American politics when he himself is from South Africa
for christ sakes, biggest violators of everything. Secondly, did he
live in toga before or after his multiple pot busts and jail stays in
Washington County???? I'm sure snoop dog is worth more that the sultan
of Brunei too, he's still a piece of shtt criminal. In any event, I
think the area can do without the element brought here by phish. We
should tell them to find another venue and talk all you devoted fans
to that town to boost their economy additionally when you look at the
class acts SPAC is now booking, Sugarland, Kiss, Chicago,Bon Jovi,
Rush, Creed, Goo Goo Dolls, Tom Petty etc... having Phish on the same
bill is low class and cheap and hurts the venues rep. Phish needs to
go to a field out in Oneida County or Plattsburgh not here in venue
that also house the NYC ballet and Philly orchestra. They are too low
class as is their fan base. "

Report Abuse

jd salinger wrote on Jun 22, 2010 11:35 PM:

" I know if it wasn't for you phish fans half of the colleges in
Vermont would have hardly any enrollment at all. I bet Casleton State
and Bennington College, St. Michaels and UVM are very glad phish is
around. Stereotypes my foot pal, lets get some internet action going
here find me 10 pics of the audience from any ten phish shows you want
and lets see what they show. Let me guess you work for a food coop or
a legal aid society right, or a renters advocates agency in NYVC
right. Are you gonna tell me you NEVER smoked pot and that you NEVER
ever smoked it at any phish show EVER ???????? "

Report Abuse

bekyndnunwind wrote on Jun 22, 2010 11:41 PM:

" "On September 12, 2009 Trey performed at Carnegie Hall in Manhattan
with the New York Philharmonic."

But according to jd salinger, he should not be on the same stage that
kiss, bon jovi, creed, etc play on.

The amount if gibberish coming out of your mouth is like saying 'all
Muslims are terrorists', 'white people are racist', 'politicians are
corrupt'.

Yes there are extremists in all areas of society, but don't let the
few people who are causing trouble blur with the many who are law-
abiding respectful citizens.

Goodnight. "

Report Abuse

togasfallingapart wrote on Jun 22, 2010 11:51 PM:

" Hahaha, you ever been to a Phish show?

I've attended shows since 94, so I think I have a bit of a better idea
of what the crowd consists of than you.

Funny you brought up The Rolling Stones though, because Phish played
with them at the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame, funny the Stones respect
them and like them, but you shred on them, interesting.

I don't believe that the same people follow them all over the country,
some do if they can, but most of us have full time jobs, families, and
other priorities that make it difficult to hit that many shows. I
personally make enough and have enough vacation time, that it isn't
hard for me to make it out to at least 6 shows, without it impeding on
my other destinations and priorities. Most don't have that privilege.

I have seen well over 1,000 shows, whether it be Phish, The Dead, Paul
Simon, Elton John, Metallica, Jimmy Buffett, Pearl Jam, Beastie Boys,
Frank Sinatra, and so on. So I don't think you can really even try to
classify me as a hippy, just a passionate music fan, whether playing
or listening, no reason to spew hate on those for an appreciation
towards music.

By the way, Joe Walsh, of the Eagles is also worth $65 million, just
throwing that out there. They've been around much longer, have the
platinum records and charge $200 a ticket.

Not a huge rap fan, but i'd also like to let you know Jay-Z, probably
the most successful rapper out there right now, went to a Phish show
and played a few tunes with them, they must be dreadful, huh?

and lack of sales has to do with the style of music, not a mainstream
sound, so it makes it even more respectable that they did it on their
own without a radio station forcing the same regurgitated sound and
style down your throat. And the trading, is called tape trading, you
trade different shows, please tell me you aren't that ignorant to get
that.

You need to get out there and expand your musical horizons guy.

I heard fly 92 has a new artist emerging, you better jump on that band
wagon, hahaha.

By the way, wasn't New Kids on the Block a multi-platinum selling
band? "

Report Abuse

jd salinger wrote on Jun 22, 2010 11:57 PM:

" You're right all Muslims are terrorists, moderate Muslims are the
exception to the rule not the rule. There is only about 1000 years of
recorded history to prove that but hey. Jimmy Barnes played with the
Philharmonic at Carnegie too a few months ago. You got any idea who he
is? Didn't think so. I am happy for you, you and all the phish
cultists have your very own Jim Jones kind of figure with TREY. You
know what is sooooo funny? It is how pizzed all you are getting, if I
was wrong and just some crank my comments about the phish demographic
wouldn't be ticking all you off. It is the fact that I and others are
spot on with the assessment and it chaps your azz doesn't it cheech?

~JD "

Report Abuse

togasfallingapart wrote on Jun 23, 2010 12:07 AM:

" Kiss is a has been band, that only has two original members, maybe
I'd care to see them if it was before they took off the face paint.

Chicago, I love that band, but man, they are more fitting for Turning
Stone nowadays, they just don't have it anymore.

Creed and the Goo Goo Dolls, hahahahaha, seriously, Creeds musicians
are great, their singer is a joke, and the Goo Goo Dolls, I like them
and have seen them a few times, but seriously, class acts?
Bwahahahahaha!!!! Wow, and you are accusing Phish fans of being on
drugs? Get a grip....

Live Nation @ SPAC dropped the ball in so many ways this year as far
as musical acts they could have and should have gotten, aside from a
few acts, this is a terrible year for shows.

Where did you go to College JD? And why is VT such a bad state?

By the way just to add on to the whole platinum record thing, Phish
was nominated for a Grammy this year.

Ricky Martin was a Multi-Platinum selling act. "

Report Abuse

jd salinger wrote on Jun 23, 2010 12:19 AM:

" Yeah I know, Kizz has more record sales world wide than any other
band but the Beattles and the Rolling Stones, Gene Simmons is 60 and
Dr. Pepper is still having him sell product for them and he has a
reality show. Real has been, I see it now in lights, I mean candles,
the Trey reality hour on lifetime. The only commercial Trey would do
is a PSA so Washington county would let him out on probation to tour
with phish lol.

By The way, Kizz has sold out Tigers Stadium, and MSG to name a few
and recently I might add, phish pats themselves on the back for
selling out SPAC. By the way I don't anybody who has walked thru the
crowd at a Chicago show, or Kiss show, or a creed show or a goo goo
dolls show who gets a contact high and nausea all at once from the
combination of weed, patchouli oil and body odor all balled up into
one.

Vermont college comment peeved you a little bit huh? Where did you go
Green Mountain College? Champlain Junior etc... ???

I actually love Vermont, I just hate all the hippie jerk socialist
phish fans like Bernie Sanders who wrecked the state that was the home
of the Green Mountain boys. And Please as a guitar player myself can
you all stop acting like Try is Andre Segovia for christ sake. That
idiot drew the wonka ticket at the beer bong party in some dorm room
in Middlebury or Burlington or where ever the heck those idiots failed
to finish college and he got to be the guitar player and now I gotta
hear all you guys act like he is Les Paul for petes sake. "

Report Abuse

togasfallingapart wrote on Jun 23, 2010 12:25 AM:

" Honestly never heard of Jimmy Barnes, but unlike you, I would check
his stuff out with an open mind. As a music lover I enjoy learning new
musicians and such. I did read that he scored a hit with a cover song,
The Weight", interesting you may enjoy that, but if I tell you I have
been backstage and had the pleasure of meeting Levon Helm, you'd
probably start spewing the hippy slurs.

I do get bothered at times when so many good people I know or have
met, that are well educated and work hard are classified as hippies,
uncleanly, drug addicted monsters. It's sad, most are the types that
would go out of their way to help someone in need no matter how small
or large the problem.

I personally am not getting ticked right now, I am actually quite
amused by your ignorance, which is why I am up late responding to your
ridiculous assessments.

chumbawamba is a multi-platinum selling artist. "

Report Abuse

jd salinger wrote on Jun 23, 2010 12:38 AM:

" I know, I'm surprised all you guys are on the saratogian.com.

For starters I am surprised at how many of you actually would read a
news paper and not just have catch the extra weed when rolling a
fatty.

Secondly, I half expected all of you to be on craigs list looking for
the last bootleg copy of the dead at ashbury 77 or phish in Sedona
1998.

But I'm sure most of you do need to get up early tomorrow to go to
work as dog walkers or register jockeys at the food coop or your job
at the bead shop or head shop. Or maybe as a clerk at four seasons
sprout farm store. Take a nice long drag on that roach before its
lights out.

Out of curiosity, do you guys count little fat images of Gerry Garcia
taking hits on a bong to fall asleep instead of sheep jumping a
fence??????? Sleep tight.

I am sure you will be dreaming about prosecuting Dikkk Cheney and
Haliburton for war crimes and how it would be so cool to elect Trey to
the Senate.

When I am enjoying my morning coffee you'll all invariably be drinking
saw grass juice with some lentl soup on the side ahhh breakfast of
champions. "

Report Abuse

togasfallingapart wrote on Jun 23, 2010 12:44 AM:

" Phish Sold out Fenway, Wrigley and consecutive nights at MSG.... I'm
failing to see your point.

I'm not a guitarist, I play some guitar, probably better than some
that call themselves guitarists around here, I am a drummer that does
not play in my basement, and has played with some phenomenal
guitarists, I have also played with mainstream acts, and for crowds of
up to 10,000 people, I fail to see your point again.

Trey is a very good guitarist, but you are right he is not eric
johnson, yngvie momstein (spelling?), steve vai, buckethead, and on
and on. he is a very good improv guitarist that can play in any
musical situation, he is a different type of musician, he is band
oriented. "

Report Abuse

togaguy13 wrote on Jun 23, 2010 12:53 AM:

" fyi TOGA was the way we referred to saratoga before taking the field
in football. If you played sports instead of being dopers you would
know that. "

Report Abuse

togasfallingapart wrote on Jun 23, 2010 12:54 AM:

" Hahahaha, you crack me up for real though.

I am a conservative, and believe Cheney should have been President
over Bush, just out of the sheer intelligence of the man, and his take
no crap attitude, aside from that, what do politics have to do with
music?

what do you do for a living? are you a bank teller? a manager at lens
express?

too funny....

goodnight, bud, you sound like Bill Mahar, just plain ignorant. "

Report Abuse

jd salinger wrote on Jun 23, 2010 12:55 AM:

" My point is this band sucks, the members are losers, Trey is 46
friggin years old for fook sakes and his greatest ambition in life is
to get high and jam on stage in front of a bunch of burnt 20
somethings with dreds and cut off camouflage shorts.

The band and it's fans are predominantly DIRTY HIPPIES. That is my
point. Good night guy, but you are right in your assessment of his
guitar skills, you are right on the money. No sarcasm applied here,
good for you that you have succeeded locally at that level of
playing.

Maybe you can bump up to the next level and then people will be
talking about you instead of a guy who is almost 50 acting like he is
still sitting around the bongos and left over stems on his college
dorm room floor at Middlebury in 1985.

Night dude. "

Report Abuse

jd salinger wrote on Jun 23, 2010 1:06 AM:

" I wish I could say that I hunted down hippies for a living with a
gun that shoots soapy water and deodorant, but alas I have a real job.
You know the kind in which most clients wouldn't talk to you if they
knew you listened to or went to phish concerts. Respectable,
professional business that required a clean pizzz test and degree. I
know that sounds like Greek to most of you guys but look it up.

Togaguy 13 Thank you, nothing like hearing Helmets on as we drove
right outside the east side rec before we all said go TOGA !!!! But
these carpetbaggers wouldn't know anything about that! "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good thing I did not go.
I heard they checked every car on the way in like you were going to a
festival.
Confiscating all beer on the way in.
No beer on the park property.
That sucks.
Any Saratoga experiences?
Besides 1985.

booie............

booie

Jun 23, 2010, 7:17:35 AM6/23/10

Police to harsh Phish fans’ mellow buzz
June 16, 2010 at 10:13 am by Dennis Yusko

http://blog.timesunion.com/saratogaseen/harshing-phish-fans-mellow/5340/

Rock out with Trey, but have a designated driver.
Here’s what you need to know for this weekend’s Phish shows at
Saratoga Performing Arts Center:

Police and state park officials are again warning concertgoers to
refrain from partying on the park grounds. Decide for yourself if this
is posturing or a direct threat to your cooler full of beer. The
warnings do seem rather dire.

Patrols will be similar to the Dave Matthews concerts at SPAC earlier
this month, according to park officials. State Police, State Park
Police, city police and investigators with the state Department of
Motor Vehicles will enforce all laws concerning drugs and alcoholic
beverages at the Saturday and Sunday Phish shows.
“Particular attention will be paid to the prohibition of alcohol
within state parks, possession of marijuana, underage drinking and
driving while intoxicated,” state parks spokesman Dan Keefe said.

Here’s the deal, dudes and dudettes: Uniformed and plainclothes
officers and investigators will be on the prowl looking for violatiors
of the law. They will include make arrests, issue tickets, impound
vehicles, confiscate and discard alcoholic beverages and eject
violators from the park and concert venue. Passive alcohol screening
devices (Alco-Sensor FSTs ) will be used to detect alcohol in unmarked
containers. Drug detecting canines will be on-site. “Investigators and
police officers equipped with instruments designed to detect
alterations to identification documents will be on site looking for
underage persons using fraudulent identification documents. Possession
of fraudulent driver licenses or other documents issued by government
agencies is a serious offense that can lead to arrest, prosecution and
loss of driving privileges.”

Checkpoints will be in place on roadways and entry points to screen
motorists for possession of alcoholic beverages and intoxicated
driving. Intoxicated drivers will be immediately arrested and their
vehicles will be impounded.

“These measures will serve to protect the vast majority of concert
patrons who comply with the law, drive safely and enjoy a world class
concert in one of New York’s most beautiful parks,” Keefe said.

Park officials also announced parking and operational changes for 2010
concerts. Gates to the SPAC parking lots on Route 50 open at 4 p.m.
Gaes to the amphitheater open at 5:30 pm. Parking in the park is $10.

114 Comments »
1.Once again, SPAC is driving people away. I was offered a ticket for
Saturday and declined it because I am boycotting SPAC. I will wait
until the winter and go to the TU Center where adults are treated with
respect.
Not only are fans prohibited from having a drink in the lot, there are
also kept in a cage when drinking inside the facility and harassed by
security everytime they try to enter the beer “garden.”
To Dan Keefe, thanks for turning Spac into a high school detention.
I will never return and I know that I am not alone.

Comment by Paul — June 16th, 2010 @ 10:28 am

2.Seems like a waste of taxpayers money. Won’t don’t they go after
real criminals like the gangs robbing innocent people in Troy, Albany
and Schenectady.

Comment by Dan — June 16th, 2010 @ 10:29 am

3.The selective enforcement at SPAC has been A+. While SPAC resembled
a police state during DMB, there was nary a foot officer in the
parking lot before Kings of Leon the following day.

I get it, certain shows draw more underage kids. Regardless, the
dissidence between enforcement in a 24 hour period is comical.

Comment by KGB — June 16th, 2010 @ 10:45 am

4.Yeah because the strict enforcement really worked at DMB…someone
still died! How about you not worry about people drinking and help
them cross the street! They really dropped the ball on this one. This
is undoubtedly causing more people to drink before driving to the
concert and I agree people are going to stop going to concerts because
of this. Can’t wait for the uproar in a few years over SPAC going out
of business because no bands want their fans harassed and no one wants
to watch a concert from a cage.

Comment by Adam — June 16th, 2010 @ 10:49 am

5.Most PHISH concertgoers are college-educated professionals who just
want to go and see some good live music. If Saratoga Springs and SPAC
keep treating concertgoers like gangsters and criminals, then these
professionals will just stay away from SPAC and go to other venues
where they will be treated with the respect that adults should be
treated with. They will not continue to go to a place where they are
constantly hassled before, during, and after the show. SPAC has become
a police state. I am not a troublemaker, and I did not pay over $50
for a lawn ticket to be treated like I am a criminal. These will
probably be my last shows at SPAC. Of course, I will not be bringing
alcohol!

Comment by Princess J — June 16th, 2010 @ 10:52 am

6.I was at the two DMB shows as well as Kings of Leon a few weeks ago
(tailgated all three). The increase of patrols in the lots is not
nearly as dire as the statements they issue to the public. If you’re
clearly drinking underage, have bottles or cans of alcohol in plain
sight, or playing drinking games openly, then yes – you will get a
ticket. Same goes for drugs. I honestly don’t have a problem with
increased police presence in the lots if that means there is one less
13 year old girl puking next to be on the lawn or a crowd of drunken
high school boys being obnoxious during the show.

Comment by Christine — June 16th, 2010 @ 11:20 am

7.I applaud SPAC trying to curtail drinking in the parking lot. There
is no reason for people to drink to excess, become unruly and make it
unpleasant for other people going to see a concert.

Now, spending all of our tax dollars on this effort is a whole
different story…..

Comment by Stephen from Ballston Lake — June 16th, 2010 @ 11:57 am

8.Excellent News!!! To all you drunken stoned losers out there, SEE
YA, WOULDN’T WANT TO BE YA!!! By the way, the kid that died was killed
in the road walking across Route 50, not at SPAC. If you really need
alcohol and weed to enjoy good music then get some help. Take a bath
too while you’re at it….

Comment by Mike C. — June 16th, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

9.its really come to this?…all these whiners – you cant GO to a
concert WITHOUT drinking- drugs – drinking and YOU are not even of
age, let alone DRINKING then DRIVING?. Then they complain while some
people uphold LAWS.
Can’t anyone go for arguments sake, for say, the music? Sure people
would like to have a beer or two as adults, but really isnt this more
of the exception more than the rule?

Comment by joe — June 16th, 2010 @ 12:16 pm

10.I agree with the previous comments this is why I don’t go to
concerts anymore including SPAC. Between the cost of tickets, parking,
and now the inability to tail gate what is next? Where does this stop?
Gone are the days of going and relaxing on the lawn for a night of
music . It won’t be long before acts catch on to this charade and say
no more to upstate NY and no to SPAC.

Comment by Dave — June 16th, 2010 @ 12:21 pm

11.I don’t know about the Phish shows but SPAC was actually letting
people out of the beer cage with one beverage at DMB. I see this as a
huge improvement and much less underage drinking to deal with doesn’t
sound so bad to me. If you are of age, being responsible and not
flashing your alcohol around for all to see I’m betting the police
leave you alone because they would rather deal with the underagers
then people who are being resonable and responsible. And I’m with #6,
who wants to deal with anyone (regardless of age) puking next to you
on the lawn while you are trying to enjoy the show? not what I paid
for!

Comment by Izzy — June 16th, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

12.In regards to Mike C.’s comment, I agree that you dont need to
inebriated beyond belief to enjoy a show. However, there are
responsible human beings in this world that know how to balance, oh
and we also frequently take showers. Have fun at the show however, as
Im assuming you are going by yourself? And by the way, the last time I
heard the phrase “See ya wouldnt want to be ya” was in an episode of
Saved by the Bell back in ‘91. On second thought, dont even come. We
dont want your kind there anyway.

Comment by Mike C. is an ass — June 16th, 2010 @ 12:35 pm

13.I gave up on SPAC a while ago. I won’t pay what they want for
tickets to be harassed and treated like a criminal by their security
people. I don’t want to park a 1/2 mile away from the amphitheater and
return to a unlighted field to get my car which may have been
vandalized (yes, it’s happened)while I was at the show. I don’t want
to sit in my car for 45 minutes trying to get out of the parking lot
because the site is ill-suited for tons of traffic. And I don’t want
to pay 9.00 for a beer that I have to stay in a cage to drink. When it
comes to SPAC, I’m done.

Comment by Kittie — June 16th, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

14.the GOOD OLD days at SPAC are over!! If you want to STOP the under
age drinkers, then ID everyone in the car and look in there car. Don’t
waste the other people’s time. Personally…I will never go to SPAC
event again!! and they wonder WHY….

Comment by Big losers...Saratoga — June 16th, 2010 @ 12:44 pm

15.Exactly, just don’t go. F Saratoga if they want to turn it into a
police state. I’ll go somewhere where I don’t have to worry about
being tasered by overzealous psycho pigs.

Comment by John — June 16th, 2010 @ 12:49 pm

16.Are police really going to just walk up to a group of people
minding their own business and try to detect alcohol in their cups?
Give citatitions and possibly eject them from the park?? F U SPAC

Comment by Mike — June 16th, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

17.If a person is over 21 they should be allowed to have a couple of
drinks before a concert, period. especially if they’re inside a State
Park. If we’re from NY and pay taxes, we own it! not to mention we
have to pay $10 to get in. the petting zoo of a beer cage is bordering
on ridiculous. no, wait, it is ridiculous. granted, this area does
seem to generate a higher than average number of idiots, but I’m
pretty sure they’re actually from New Jersey anyway.

so here’s the way it should go. jersey plates, shake them down. New
York plates with ID, party on.

seriously, I’ll take my chances with my cup of beer and BBQ at the
picnic area. I think I’ve earned it.

Comment by rich — June 16th, 2010 @ 12:53 pm

18.Glad the state has in its budget the money for all the overtime the
cops and investegators will be soaking up. All in the name of safety
right??? Sure.

Comment by BOBBY D — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:01 pm

19.Jeez, I haven’t been to a concert at SPAC for a long time. But now
I won’t be there ever again! Who wants to pay good money for all that
hassle?

Comment by susan — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:01 pm

20.#8, “the kid that died” was 42.

Comment by Mr. Sunshine — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:03 pm

21.Lao Tzu said it best, “In working with large groups of people, the
more you tamper, the more you disrupt”. SPAC is inviting a riot if
they plan on following through on what they say. No one in their right
mind will let themselves be harrassed as they are indicating in this
article. SPAC, if you want a riot, follow through on what you say and
harrass of age individuals over their drinks. I’m all for the
arresting of underage drinkers and people driving intoxicated, but
let’s face it, when you made the deal with Phish to come and play at
your venue, you knew what you were getting into. Again, and you can
take this as a WARNING, DO NOT HARRASS THOSE WHO ARE OF AGE AND
DRINKING RESPONSIBLY. YOU WILL HAVE A MESS ON YOUR HANDS.

Comment by GratefullyFedUp — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

22.Wish I would’ve known this back when I bought tickets on lottery, I
would’ve avoided SPAC altogether. I knew it’s been getting really bad
over the last 2-3 years but this sounds like it’s going to be even
worse.

saturday will be the last show I ever pay to see at SPAC. i’d be
interested to see how many kids gate crash this one, since they seem
to be focusing so heavily on keeping people from having a good time in
the lots i bet they’ll slack on perimeter security big time.

as far as i’m concerned the saratoga community as a whole can stick
it. i hope they lose the good acts to bethel and times union where
you’re treated like an american citizen.

Comment by Jack Straw — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

23.http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?
storyID=941726&category=&BCCode=&newsdate=6/16/2010

Comment by Jack Straw — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

24.Enjoyed SPAC shows since I was a youngin’. 20 years later and it
just isn’t fun anymore. I wouldn’t care if they only bugged the
obvious under-agers, but they bug my friends and I, all well over 30.
I don’t get it. The cops obviously don’t get it. They WILL have a
serious problem on their hands if they continue to use the heavy
handed tactics on middle age people that are not causing trouble, I
can promise you that.

Comment by Lance — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

25.These “RULES” only relate to Live Nation Concerts. If you look at
the information for the Jazz Fest it says “kick back on the lawn with
cocktails and your own picnic” Also, parking is free for the Jazz
Fest, but costs $10 for the Live Nation Concerts. It’s obvious who
they are gunning for.

Comment by James — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

26.it’s messed up that they’re going to be “profiling” for this show
too. my roommate’s dad is a local police officer that was hired to
work the Times Union shows in downtown Albany this past fall. He
thought it was going to be a circus and a busy weekend like some of
the rap, metal, other rock shows he’s worked there.

after it was over he said it was actually the easiest time he’s ever
had as a cop, hardly any incidents where he felt safety was
compromised.

Comment by Jack Straw — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

27.Correction on my earlier entry, Lao Tzu said, “Ruling a country is
like cooking a small phish, the more you tamper, the more you disrupt”

Comment by GratefullyFedUp — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:33 pm

28.Wow, I am running behind.

1. Paul: My ynderstanding is that SPAC has nothing to do with this.
It’s a state decision.

4. Adam: No connection there.

5. Princess J: I think you are overstating your case on Phish fans,
and college has nothing to do with getting drunk or getting high.

Comment by Bill In Glens Falls — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:35 pm

29.I have not gone to a show at SPAC in about three years ever since I
was forced to sit in a cage very far away from the show to enjoy a
$9.00 beer. In addition to that, previous to us entering this show we
were drinking in the parking lot when a security guard of maybe 21
asked us to head into the show.

We obliged this guard and told him we were headed in. He then said,
“NO, NOW.” He also asked us (all over 21 and well older than he was to
dump the beers and not finish them. Haha.

I have decided personally that if SPAC was going to act like that I
did not need it. Only problem is it takes more than just myself and
significant other boycotting to have an impact…..goodbye SPAC.

Comment by Tim — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:37 pm

30.Time to move this tour stop to Bethel Woods.

Comment by P.O.'d — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:37 pm

31.I don’t see how you can even compare the crowd at DMB to Phish…
Phish phans are mostly working professionals who enjoy a laid back
athmosphere with great music. As a previous poster pointed out, it’s a
state park… I pay PLENTY of taxes to be able to relax and enjoy a few
beers in the parking lot. Settle the budget and THEN let the drug dogs
out. This will be my last summer having a spac membership, and weekend
spent in the area. You want to ‘harsh my mellow’? You can say goodbye
to my phunds.

Comment by Tess — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:38 pm

32.If it is going to be anything like DMB than it won’t be as bad as
they warn. Just don’t get in fights or start puking everywhere…and
wait until you are surrounded by people in the crowd before you start
smoking. These articles are just to scare away out as many people as
they can who might actually be intimidated enough not to go.

Comment by Sarah — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

33.My wife and I are done with SPAC. We are 40-something adults who
spend a lot of our hard-earned money to enjoy our passion…live music.
But SPAC will get NONE of it. We enjoy having a cocktail but don’t
drink and drive. What the hell is wrong with these orwellian idiots.
So they want to treat us all like criminals. Let the hippies smoke
their weed too. When did pot smoking hippies ever hurt anyone?!?!? Oh,
but go ahead and let the nitrous sellers peddle their brain-damaging
wares to ignorant kids! Funny thing is…the percentage of arrests and
citations at these things is often less than that of the general
population, but the police state wants to bolster the false stereotype
that concertgoers are criminals, drunks, hard drug users and wife-
beaters so they can justify their own existence.

The no booze in state parks was a law with good intentions (weekend
family BBQ’ers should be able to enjoy a park without drunken idiots
around), but the selective enforcement of the law outside it’s intent
is the problem. It’s obvious that the general public stays away during
these concert events, so who is being hurt by allowing adults to have
a cocktail before the show-on OUR land?!?!?!

Then add all the other BS that many here have already mentioned…
exhorbitant prices, foul treatment of law-abiding citizens, a disaster
of a transportation infrastructure that forces you to wait 3 hours to
get the heck out of the area, etc etc etc.

I dont care if it’s PHISH (me) or Bon Jovi (my wife), we are
boycotting SPAC!! We’ll go to fan-friendly venues to enjoy ourselves
and spend our money.

Comment by Seriously? — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

34.I’m glad I’m not a local business owner that relies on SPAC concert
goers. Phish fans are very loyal to the band and the band is very
loyal to their fans. If cops ruin responsible adults’ time then we
will not be back.

Ask Portsmouth, VA if they want to have Phish come back next year…

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/portsmouth/phish-plays-at-ntelos-pavilion

Fans like Sheehan who spend money on food and hotels made the Phish
show a profitable one for the local economy.

“Concerts are great,” said John Robey, dock master at the Ocean Marine
Yacht Center. “It brings people into Portsmouth and into downtown.”

The marina that sits next to the pavilion was sold out.

“All the slips are taken.. And we still had people calling us today.
People started making reservations back in March as soon as it was
announced,” Robey said.

The thousands who converged to the region were mostly only here for a
day or two, but early estimates are that they left a fantastic
financial mark.”

Comment by Done with SPAC — June 16th, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

35.Phish fans are most concerned with the music and will abide by the
rules for the most part. There are plenty of kids these days I am
sure, but I promise you that most will be chilling at their cars…
talking with old phriends and enjoying the summer sun. We love our
band and SPAC will not ruin it.

Myself, I love to drink a lot when I am having fun…..but not when I
have to drive home. We all have that responsibility. Rip it up boys! I
will be ready to get my groove on! WOO HOOO~!!! (starting the first
crowd yells early)

Comment by sawitcoming — June 16th, 2010 @ 2:00 pm

36.So much for the right to assemble peacefully…SPAC sucks & I
wouldn’t spend a lousdy dime there – how about patrolling all the
drunks leaving the racetrack and the racino??? It’s just a lame excuse
to generate funds for a dwindling budget. SPAC sucks and the police
suck too – they are like weathermen – they don’t have to do a good job
to keep it. Crime still happens and people still get hurt – so they
suck and fail at their jobs on a regular basis – just ask any victim
of a violent crime where the police were when they needed them…

Comment by U_R_All_Stupid — June 16th, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

37.new york sucks heres more proof

Comment by rich — June 16th, 2010 @ 2:17 pm

38.This is par for the course for self-loathing SPAC who envisions
itself as something they cannot be. Some years ago, the board of
directors sought to eliminate all musical acts save the jazz fest,
ballet and orchestra. The only problem is that noone shows up to these
events and SPACs budget would promptly implode. The board thinks of
SPAC as their little play thing and hate the fact that they have to
depend on the “rabble” to pay their bills. For years they have treated
their own shows in a much different way than the shows where they make
their money. I don’t like the 13 year old vomiting on my shoes any
more than the next person but, I also don’t go to SPAC to have a
police officer harass me or attempt to insert some sort of wand in my
drink simply because I wish to enjoy a beverage before a show. I hope
that next year, Phish and any other band that looks out for its fans
will choose the TU Center and bypass SPAC altogether, just as the Dead
did in the 80’s and 90’s.

Comment by Fan — June 16th, 2010 @ 2:24 pm

39.Saratoga better hope that things go smoothly so they come back next
year. Phish brings a TON of money to communities they play shows in.

“Music to the ears of local business”

They really should know better than to get involved and profile Phish
the same way they did for DMB. I didn’t hear about ANY problems after
last year’s shows (besides the three that were camping out at some
quarry down south a few days after the show, heh).

Comment by Go Phish — June 16th, 2010 @ 2:27 pm

40.I know I am going to get bad comments after I say this but… Isn’t
there a law against drinking in public places (etc. on the streets)?
When you go to a bar you are not allowed to leave the bar with an
alcoholic beverage in your hand unless you are in the bar’s fenced in
courtyard? Do you people complain about that cage (meaning having to
stay in the bar to finish your drinks)? The parking lot is a public
place and the so called “cage” you are talking about is kind of like a
bar area. This is to cut down on underaged drinking and unruly people.
Not to ruin any normal person’s (of age)time. As an adult I agree with
what they are doing. Everytime a big band comes to SPAC there are
always fights and a lot of drunk drivers. If you are as responsible as
you say you are you would be following the rules and not have any
issues. Right?

Comment by Lorie — June 16th, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

41.This is really the final straw for me with SPAC. I have been a
local resident my entire life. I have attended concerts at SPAC since
I was in High School. That was what we lived for as young adults. That
was was we looked forward to all summer. That is what we saved our
summer job money to use on. I can also attest that all those years
attending concerts at SPAC (many big name/festivals concerts also such
as Tom Petty, Furtherfest, Aerosmith, Ozz Fest, etc) I never once
recall there being a problem other than a few individuals jumping the
fence. Do they ever wonder that the more restrictions and rules you
put on people the more they want to break them. This is a proven fact,
the more you tell someone not to do something the more they want to do
it. Common sense!

Also, I dont understand the thinking behind this. WHy is it not okay
to have a few drinks in the park BEFORE the show. It is OK though to
go into the show and get sloshed and drive home after as long as you
are buying their alcohol. They say that this is to curb drinking and
driving and for safety but I think it would be safer to drink BEFORE
the show, not serve alcohol during the show. I would rather have
someone drink 3 hours before the concert and sober up for the 3 hours
the concert is going on than drink from the moment they walk into the
beer garden till its time to leave. Just doesnt make sense.

Also, The “kid” that was walking and got hit after DMB had nothing to
do with the concert at all. The “kid” was a middle age man, the
concert was LONG over when he got hit, and he got hit by a gentleman
on his way home from WORK not the concert. Sure glad all those
officers were busy being nazi’s because that accident had no way of
being avoided.

Also, with the State Parks being so close to being shut down you would
think they would embrace these concerts. They are bringing people into
SPAC and into the park at the price of $10 per car. That is more in 1
concert that you would make with just picnic goers all summer. Also, I
dont see these officers turning down this overtime. Guess what, if
there were no concerts, we wouldnt need the officers, maybe less jobs,
less cars in the park would be less money for the park, no patrons at
SPAC would mean NO MORE SPAC. Please, I know that SPAC makes nothing
of the JAzz fest or the ballett. Face it, the concerts are their bread
and butter at that place.

Well, That is it for me though. I will no longer attend concerts at
SPAC. The whole situation is a mess. We were not aloud to bring a
cooler in the park for DMB (which we had NO ALCOHOL in only soda and
water unopened). If anyone remembers it was hot that weekend. We were
not even aloud to keep our water cold though. Even though, other
people got to bring their coolers with beer. (I guess they must have
known one of the officers). Also, we were asked not to play music in
the park while we played frisbee because the officer “didnt want to
hear it”. Again, we paid $50/ticket for the concert, $10 to get into
the park and we couldnt even have cold water or listen to music. I
thought it was all about the drinking but I think it had more to do
with having POWER of the PEOPLE.

Lets all boycot SPAC. Maybe without us they will see how much they
depended on us.

This town is going down the gutter. Why dont they take a look at all
the drinking at the Track. OH yeah, that doesnt matter because kids
dont have fun there.

Oh, and I am a 30 year old, not a teen

Comment by Steph — June 16th, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

42.I too once said I would never go to SPAC again. A few years ago I
went to see Tom Petty and swore I would never go back. It felt like a
3rd world shanty town. It was quite obvious that there was NO control
what so ever. Now I’m not advocating a police state but there has to
be a crack-down in order to achieve a happy medium.
-There were people sitting with cases of beer well outside the beer
garden
-There was a kid who could NOT have been more than 15 passed out
nearly in a garbage can
-There was pot blown in my face and I’m sure this happened to other
people. I’m not going to say a person can’t smoke pot (oh by the way
it’s against the friggen law) but I choose not to and don’t want it in
my face.
-Moved to the family section and had a kid trip stagger, fall, and
pass out on my blanket
-A kid who could not have been more than 13 tried to pull my wife away
from me as we walked through the crowd, saying something nasty to her.
If he hadn’t have been 13 I would have knocked his little punk-@$$
out. It wouldn’t have been hard, I played flanker for my rugby team in
college.
-As we walked back to our car near route 9, a girl was swerving her
way down the center of the road (it’s pitch black back there). She
claimed she felt drunk from drinking so much water….riiiggghhtt.

I’m glad as hell there is a crack-down. Finally, people who want to
enjoy the concert don’t have to deal with people who have no respect
or common courtesy and certainly no social skills.

Comment by SickofSPAC — June 16th, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

43.Why do the prohibitionist stereotypers like Mike C, Steven, and Joe
(above) always talk about “drunken, stoned losers” and say things like
“there is no reason for people to drink to excess, become unruly and
make it unpleasant for other people going to see a concert”?

I am an adult who can drink responsibly, and I do not need to drink to
excess. Why should you assume I will be a problem and take away what I
believe is my right?

I would like to enjoy a couple of good, high quality beers, sitting in
my chair in the sunshine, before I go into the show (where they will
gladly sell me as many beers as I want for $12 each). With the length
of a Phish shows I will most definitely not be impaired when I leave.

You nanny staters and holier than thous should mind your own business.
And so should the state. If I’m not hurting anyone or breaking any
laws, I am NOT your business. Go bust people who are breaking real
laws, hurting themselves, or hurting others. And unless I prove myself
to be a problem, well, leave me the %&#$ alone.

Comment by swank — June 16th, 2010 @ 3:11 pm

44.Hey Lorie, It really depends on who is doing the drinking. If you
want to know who the State Police will absolutely not hassle for
alcohol consumption on state land check out the photo on Kristi
Gustafson’s blog relating to ballet tickets. DMB and Phish may get a
laugh out of this.

Comment by James — June 16th, 2010 @ 3:11 pm

45.BOYCOTT SPAC! And if you don’t, spit on the bass player for me.

Comment by Mike Lieman — June 16th, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

46.I am going to see Phish tmrw in Hartford at the Comcast. I saw them
there last year. I totally thought this place was going to be a S-Hole
becuase it is in downtown Hartford Ct, but it was suprisingly a great
experience. It is set up similarly to SPAC except that underneath the
ampitheatre area they have about 25 different vending areas selling
everything from food and beer to Jack and Cokes. There were no lines
and you could bring a beer back to your seat. SPAC is a joke. I used
to think it was the best venue to see a show, but after the past few
years it has become a giant hassle. It’s not a pleasent experience, or
at least as good as it could be. Does anyone know who is in charge of
SPAC? I would love to send a letter.

Comment by BOBO — June 16th, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

47.Makisupa Policman opener mark it down… as a backhanded compliment
to the polic state that shi WHAC…err SPAC…

Comment by phed up with spac — June 16th, 2010 @ 3:36 pm

48.I agree with the vast majority of those posting. SPAC has turned
into a joke. The beers are close to 10 dollars a piece and the beer
“garden” is a patch of dust surrounded by port-a-potties. You can
barely hear the music in the “garden”.. and 10 dollars a beer is more
than you will pay in one of the hottest clubs in NYC or South Beach.
SPAC and the State Park Police are driving fans away in droves. I was
going to attend Sugarland, Brad Paisley and Bon Jovi.. However after
reading about the DMB crackdown and experiencing the prices at a
concert in May.. I won’t be back this year.. or next.. County me among
the posters boycotting SPAC.. I ALSO FIND IT FUNNY THAT THEY
considered not even opening some of these parks this summer due to
budgetary concerns.. BUT have found money to beef up patrols to harass
people who’s taxes and money spent at venues help to fund these
“safety measures”.. Marxism my friends! Big Brother is getting nosier
and nosier these days

Comment by daniel — June 16th, 2010 @ 3:37 pm

49.Sieg heil!

Comment by Mr. Sunshine — June 16th, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

50.You are able to bring in your own bottles of alcoholic
beverages(beer, wine, etc.) into the ballet and the gala and drink
them openly on the lawn. Why the double standard?

“If you are as responsible as you say you are you would be following
the rules and not have any issues. Right?”

As for the above comment I’ve placed in quotations, following rules
doesn’t always make a person responsible if the rules themselves are
unjust. It makes you a blind sheep following the herd. These people on
this board have some legitimate comments and issues with the
regulations that are being placed upon them only AFTER tickets were
purchased.

This is wrong and once again Saratoga is shooting itself in the foot.
I hope to god someone in a position of power in Saratoga is reading
these comments and has the sense to let adults of age, who pay their
taxes and enjoy a few beers act like adults.

Comment by Jack Jameson — June 16th, 2010 @ 3:44 pm

51.Wow Man, Gone are the days of being a kid. Glad I grew up in the
seventys when anything went. Did we have a good time or what. Ya a few
of us did’nt make it but hell thats life. In my fathers generation
they had to fight ww2 we just had to battle Lsd flashbacks. It was
crazy,lazy hazy days. I feel bad for the young kids today. They have
about half the freedoms we had. Pretty soon they’ll be like little
russions of the 70’s.

Comment by phil — June 16th, 2010 @ 3:55 pm

52.http://blog.timesunion.com/kristi/28577/win-tickets-to-the-candace-
bushnell-ballet-gala-at-spac/#comment-93575

Comment by Jack Jameson — June 16th, 2010 @ 3:56 pm

53.To the people saying you should be able to drink in the parking
lots before the concert, there is a LAW that makes this illegal,
period. I don’t think there is anything wrong with an increase in
police doing their jobs which is protecting people and making sure
people arent risking their own lives or anyone elses.
Better safe than sorry.

Comment by M.S — June 16th, 2010 @ 4:04 pm

54.@40 “Everytime a big band comes to SPAC there are always fights and
a lot of drunk drivers.”

This won’t curb drunk driving, it will only make sure that in order
for you to have the chance to drunk drive the venue will profit off
the sale of alcohol to you.

Comment by Jack Straw — June 16th, 2010 @ 4:06 pm

55.Upon entering the lot for DMB’s Sat show from rt. 50 southbound I
was shocked to see the cops had closed off the left hand turn lane
into the lot (the safe way to enter, imo). Instead they told people to
drive way past the entrance and pull a u-turn about 100 yards down. I
couldnt even count how many accidents almost occured by forcing
drivers to do a u-turn across the busy 4-lane highway. Not one cop was
at the u-turn area – instead about 10 officers just stood by their
cars at the main entrance looking angry. Absolutely terrible traffic
management before a busy concert. I couldnt believe it!

Comment by SaratogaMusicFan — June 16th, 2010 @ 4:13 pm

56.The bottom line is, public drinking is against the law without
permit. When we went down to Shea for a Yankee/Mets game a few yrs
back, NYPD were going from group to group writing tickets and making
people dump beers. Never saw that in a pro sports lot, but we were
warned. Also, when at Yankee Stadium, people will often tell you, pour
your beer into solo cups to avoid them bothering you. So this is not
just a SPAC rule.

Also, we attended the very first Lollapalooza at SPAC way back.. and
police on horseback were making everyone go into the venue upon
arriving. Which made life very difficult seeing myself and my friend,
had tickets for 6 other friends in our pockets. We had to literally
hide in the woods for an hr to escape the Lone Ranger. He would have
none of my “story”, even know I showed him the 6 tickets, at $30 each
mind you… it was terrible then and it still is. Go to Northern Lights
to enjoy a show.. that’s my motto.

Comment by Mark — June 16th, 2010 @ 4:17 pm

57.I went to a Steely Dan concert a couple years ago, on my way to the
restroom there was about 8 people passing a joint around, I asked for
a hit, took 2 and was surrounded by about 15 cops. 2 tokes thats all I
had, they rounded us all up took us outside and there were 8 police
cars waiting for us, I asked the cop whats this for we didn’t rob a
bank.
We all got busted for Criminal Possesion of Marijuiana a misdeamnor.
They sent me to drug clinic, and the people that were busted with me
were from Vermont they had to plead guilty and all of them got 15 days
in jail.

All this for 2 tokes, come on it wasn’t like I shot somebody, it was
Steely Dan I was just relaxing.

Comment by Mark — June 16th, 2010 @ 4:30 pm

58.If the police are concerned about rowdiness, fighting, excessive
intoxication, and drunk driving, they should target…rowdiness,
fighting, excessive intoxication, and drunk driving and not messing
with people that want to stand next to there car and have a few drinks
before going inside. Instead there is an attitude that results in the
harassment or inconveniencing of all.

Comment by Brian — June 16th, 2010 @ 4:35 pm

59.“I don’t think there is anything wrong with an increase in police
doing their jobs which is protecting people and making sure people
arent risking their own lives or anyone elses.”

They’re not protecting anyone, lets be honest. Have there been any
problems at the shows so far this tour? No. Were there any last year?
No. The cops should be there to keep the peace and to help people in
need, not play gestapo and attempt to control everybody.

Sure, maybe it always has technically been illegal, but the reason
SPAC became such a popular summer destination was because of past
precedence of letting people picnic, hang out and have some drinks
before a show. And like others have said, this isn’t enforced for
every concert or event at SPAC. It’s misguided and wrong.

Comment by Go Phish — June 16th, 2010 @ 4:35 pm

60.UNCONSTITUTIONAL

Comment by buckshot — June 16th, 2010 @ 4:39 pm

61.Hey M.S. …that’s the point. We think its a stupid law.

There’s lots of laws…doesn’t meant they are all right, good, useful,
or productive. And many are unconstitutional, as proven by the number
of laws thrown out when (if) they finally make it to court.

Selling me a whole bunch of large $12 beers inside the venue before I
drive is okay, but me having one or two in the parking lot, hours
before the show even starts, isn’t okay? That’s the definition of
stupid.

I shall say it one more time: bust people causing problems. Don’t pass
laws that are a hindrance to 99% of us just because a handful of
people can’t handle themselves.

Comment by swank — June 16th, 2010 @ 4:43 pm

62.While I agree that the policing seems over the top, if anyone has
tailgated at a Pats game since Mass. passed the lax marijuana bill,
you’d understand why they’re doing this. It’s a disgusting scene, as
are most concerts, with people that literally go just to tailgate and
get high/hammered because they legally can. There’s a balance
somewhere in between the two, but no one can find it.

Comment by Rob — June 16th, 2010 @ 4:44 pm

63.Comparing DMB and Phish, DMB’s music is way more mainstream. High
school and college kids are drawn to it—setlists are predictable and
the songs are catchy, upbeat, quick, danceable, and fun and easy to
sing along to. Plus, the girls love Dave (and are not afraid to scream
it from the top of their lungs throughout the entire show). Lots of
hot chicks go to DMB shows and the frat-boys follow close behind. This
combo of catchy pop music and hot chicks in a rock-n-roll concert
atmosphere is a sure-fire recipe that will, and does attract, the
younger binge-drinking frat-boy crowd that start fights with each
other and litter the lawn with their puke. A strong police presence
and strict alcohol policy at DMB shows is 100% appropriate.
Phish’s music, on the other hand, is not designed to please the
masses. You don’t go to Phish shows planning on hearing the latest
radio hit (ie, crash, two step, too much, satellite, et al). You go to
Phish shows to hear four dorky guys play spontaneous, improvised sets
of music; most nights they kill it, sometimes they don’t. Every night
their songs last an average of about 10-12 minutes each. The extended
song format does not attract the same hot chicks that DMB shows get
(which is actually a bummer, minus the screaming). The payoff is that
the frat boys don’t come sniffin’ around too much. Finally, when Phish
officially started blowing IT up in the late-90’s they were attracting
a solid fanbase of young 20-somethings. Most of us are now in our 30’s
and have families and careers (and haircuts too!!). We work hard and
when we can, we play hard. Most of us travel to less shows than we did
back in the day, and when we get an opportunity to let loose and hit
up a show or two, we don’t appreciate the local PD searching our cars
and taking our brew. A strong police presence and strict alcohol
policy at Phish shows could actually cause more problems than it’s
intended to prevent.
Repectfullly,
Kitty Malone

Comment by LlamaTabootTaboot — June 16th, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

64.I was at a Dave mathews show a few years ago because a friend
offered me a free ticket. What I saw was rediculous. Teenage boys and
girls drunk to the point of picking fights, hanging off railings and
acting like morons, trying to make spectacles of themselves, throwing
things at people, throwing up and peeing in public. I’m 39 this year
and I bet I’ve been to over 100 shows in my life so I’ve seen a lot of
audiences. It’s fun to let loose and be crazy sometimes. It’s fun to
party and act like a college kid etc… but not when you are in a public
space and certainly not when you are going to be driving home with
thousands of other people late at night in heavy traffic. The bottom
line is that unfortunately when you have a concert with 20,000 people
(half or more of which are under the age of 20) the potential for
dwi’s and impared driving is really high. I just don’t understand why
people can’t just go to the show, buy a few beers with friends and
enjoy the band and let the police take care of the group of people
that don’t see it that way.

Comment by chad tallman — June 16th, 2010 @ 4:50 pm

65.Senator Joe Biden sponsored and passed a bill for the illicit Drug
Anti-Proliferation Act, that was enacted April 30, 2003. You can
google it for more info.

The long of it is that concerts, raves and clubs are known as places
people distribute MDMA (Ecstasy) as well as GHB (date rape drug) and
Meth.

The DEA Chapters have been given a significant budget to help “crack
down” (Sic) on drug usage at concerts, raves and clubs, and
potentially even go after the concert promoters if they do not
willingly try to discourage drug usage at their concerts. They do this
by providing funding and subsidizing local police enforcement and
State Police. It’s not all about “state” taxes. This is Federal too.

Certain promoters (Live Nation) are much more concerned about their
liability than others, and also “assist” local law enforcement to
ensure they are not seen as “legitimizing” or “endorsing” illegal
behaviour. By “fighting” for the rights of their customers, they
potentially put themselves into a very bad position.

If you listen to the DEA they say “We are being practical and looking
for the gross and perverted abusers, not small parties and all rock
concerts”

I personally do not believe the DEA has not proven their ability to be
“practical” when it comes to enforcement. They want to shut down
Phish, DMB, etc. Because they have “reputations”

Thank Tipper and Al Gore and Joe Biden. They’re the ones saving the
children.

Comment by Mr. Palmer S. Concerned — June 16th, 2010 @ 5:51 pm

66.Phish is for stinky druggies who wish the Grateful Dead were still
around. Losers!

Comment by Upstater — June 16th, 2010 @ 6:01 pm

67.#50-Jack-I attend both types of concerts, classical and Live nation
type as well as Jazz Fest. What I have witnessed post concert is a
trash heap after a popular band, and not one bit of garbage after
classical performances. I’m sure things would change for classical
events if there were underage drinkers fighting, puking and urinating
in public. Right now the biggest infraction on the lawn is having a
chair that is too high for those behind you to see. Unfortunately,
this police state had to happen. If kids or others get injured,
robbed, raped, or otherwise violated, who would be the first to sue
Live Nation or the State Park System. It would be their parents who
think their kids are “just going to a DMB concert”-isn’t that sweet? I
love Phish music as well as the music of Tom Petty, etc., but I will
probably not attend another Live Nation concert due to the nasty
behavior I witnessed at these type of events,not because there is
enforcement of open container laws or underage drinking. I do feel for
those responsible adults that just want a beer or two before the
concert, but unfortunately, the true fault rests with the absent
parents of the underagers. If there are people who do not wish to
attend a SPAC concert due to the heavy enforcement and overpriced
beer, there will be hundreds of people lined up behind you to buy
tickets that you did not purchase. Yankee Stadium is no better, and
people drop hundreds of dollars a day to go to a game. Can’t wait for
the Jazz Fest-great crowd and allowed to drink responsibly if people
so choose. It is a true family atmosphere and everyone is having fun.
Too bad parents can’t control their kids(I’m talking about 12-14 year
olds, not 18 year olds), and understand they shouldn’t be just dropped
off at SPAC to be baby sat by the security guards. No wonder their
grumpy. Your comments as well as the comments of others on this forum
are directed at the wrong people. It should be the children attending
as well as their parents who should be on the receiving end of this
vitriol.

Comment by SaraT — June 16th, 2010 @ 6:53 pm

68.No, Phish rules. Boom, roasted.

Comment by Kyle — June 16th, 2010 @ 7:01 pm

69.http://www.asylum.com/2010/06/15/asylum-investigates-when-is-it-
legal-to-masturbate-in-public-joseph-tesoriere/

New York is full of ridiculously stupid laws and rulings(see above).
Thanks again New Yawk! To Phish: Apparently Time to Change Venues for
Summer Tour?

Comment by Empire State of Stupid — June 16th, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

70.It is a shame when we have to worry about the police at SPAC. To
the best of my knowledge NY has decriminalized pot. I believe up to an
OZ in 1 bag is just a ticket. And if you ask me I agree with you all
that nobody likes the fools puking on the lawn and screaming Tweezer
louder than the band. party on brothers and sisters. Be safe and what
ever you do, take care of your shoes!!!!

Comment by zig zag — June 16th, 2010 @ 8:48 pm

71.what an ignorant narrow minded human being you are, “upstater”

Comment by john p — June 16th, 2010 @ 9:44 pm

72.Simple solution…stop alcohol sales at all performances. Live Nation/
Jazz-fest/Classical/Ballet etc… No Beer…No problem.

Comment by mrwickey — June 16th, 2010 @ 9:58 pm

73.I have to say, SaraT has one of the most sound and lucid (and
informed) posts on the board.

This whole thing is a reaction to serious accidents, assaults, rapes,
and possibly even deaths post Live Nation shows. And families of
victims tend to like to sue someone when their loved one is harmed.
SPAC sits in a state park (and as everyone knows, New York State is
LOADED) – and the rock shows are put on by Live Nation (beaucoup bucks
apparently:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/25/business/25ticket.html

People have always done stupid things at SPAC, but with information
available immediately, we hear about it a lot more than we did in the
1970s.

Bottom line – the jerks who behaved like jack asses before, during and
after the shows deserve the credit for the park police cracking down
on drinking in the state parking lots.

Which brings up a good question – I don’t think the state park parking
lots are SPAC property. Only Route 50 lot is SPAC parking, right? The
rest is owned by the State – not SPAC.

Comment by KevinB — June 16th, 2010 @ 10:09 pm

74.I’m driving from Maine for these shows. I plan on drinking,
heavily. I am not afraid. It’s like this at every Phish show. To that
end, I’ll have a DD, which is nice.

Comment by Gabe — June 16th, 2010 @ 10:28 pm

75.#5 – Most Phish fans are professionals? Please, your scaring me!

When you see a new doctor or lawyer, and you want to know if you can
trust them, guess you better ask if they like Phish – because improv
rock is for ultra-casual-minded people who think there’s nothing wrong
or weird about getting stoned. Sorry to all the stoners (and you
really have to be smoking Mary Jane to to enjoy such music) who I
offend, but I don’t want to end up dead because my surgeon spent too
much time talking to my extracted tissues as I bleed out!

As for the violence which prompted such draconian measures, it’s a
huge insult to those who attend events which never attract any losers,
including the metal bands. Funny how the hippies claim to be more
peaceful, but the violent losers are always making their trouble at
DMB and Phish concerts – not Motley Crue! Therefore, if the SPAC a$$-
inspectors harrass any concert-goers AFTER Phish has left town, then
the other cool bands (with cool fans) should start booking their area
stops elsewhere – if they won’t come to Albany, then I’ll drive to MA
if I can enjoy a good show there without being treated like a school
kid!

Comment by Itchyfinger — June 16th, 2010 @ 10:48 pm

76.#67 – the police state did NOT have to happen, and there is
absolutely nothing good about it which we should all be resigned to!
In a time of dire economic grief, there is one business sector which
should NOT prosper while the rest suffer, and that includes police and
all the flunkies who get paid for the BS job they call “security
guard”.

SPAC should not be sued by the parents of victims who send, or allow
their children to attend concerts by drug-inspired bands which are
known to attract boozers and users, and when they do, they should bear
the sole liability for the consequences. Stop allowing parents to hold
the rest of the world responsible for their own shortcomings, or stop
the parents who would do so from having offspring, but we must do
something to stop them, if we believe that we deserve to enjoy our own
lives!

Comment by Itchyfinger — June 16th, 2010 @ 11:06 pm

77.here’s the bottom line. bring plastic cups, don’t make direct eye
contact with the cops (they don’t like that), don’t make a mess, don’t
make a lot of noise and don’t make a scene and you will probably be
over looked, just like last year. (oh, and be of legal drinking age).
I’m not changing my plans at all. we’ll be there with drinks in our
cups and smiles on our faces waiting patiently to see our favorite
band.

Comment by rich — June 16th, 2010 @ 11:07 pm

78.This has very little to do with safety, and a whole lot to do with
making $.

Comment by Mr. Palmer — June 16th, 2010 @ 11:10 pm

79.I can’t believe it has come to this. I definitely will not be
attending another concert there. If I did not have the tickets to
these shows I would never go to SPAC again. Me and my 14 friends who
are all 25+ working professionals will definitely take our business
elsewhere.

Also, great way to spend tax payer money when your state is dying. I
am sure you will make a lot from tickets but is this really what cops
are supposed to be used for? Imagine asking Thomas Jefferson or George
Washington this. They wouldn’t even believe what they are hearing.

Comment by Dan P — June 16th, 2010 @ 11:51 pm

80.It does seem ludicrous to ban beer in the parking lot then sell it
in the show. There are many bars in restaurants in the Albany area
that cannot be “walked” to; the implication is a mixed message about
drinking and driving. If the authorities were serious about drinking
and driving they would require an identifiable designated driver for
every 3-4 people at a given event and test them at a road block on the
way out. No, they’re not serious, they’re just looking for revenue and
will spoil a good time and a sense of independent, responsible
citizenship.

Comment by Carl Moore — June 17th, 2010 @ 1:02 am

81.I was at both DMB shows and the cops made traffic worse, especially
on Saturday. I’m well over 21 and still had my car searched for
alcohol when I entered the park. Traffic was backed up for miles and
not a single cop tried to do any kind of traffic control.
Then in the concert there are plenty of kids openly drinking. The only
people this affects are the adults. Taxpayer money is being used to
provide extra security (there were many more cops than concert
security) so Live Nation/SPAC can sell more $12 beers. I didn’t see a
single DWI check. The cops were just sitting in their cars, again not
directing traffic.

I wouldn’t blame the bands though. When you have a show with 25,000
people (which Phish and DMB usually have) you’re going to get a group
of idiots anywhere. Also, each generation is dumber than the last. 3-5
years ago shows DMB shows were much more laid back. This year had some
of the worst that I’ve seen, but it wasn’t a lot. Just a few people
here and there.

I also have to defend DMB. I’ve seen both bands live many times, but
am a big fan of the DMB. They’ve been touring for 20 years so they
have some pretty dedicated and older fans (I’ve been seeing them for
12). Not everyone is in college and you’d be surprised how many older
professional people are there to just enjoy the music.
They also aren’t just a pop band. They can attribute a lot of their
popularity to the fact that they are an amazing group of musicians.
All of their shows have multiple 10+ min long songs. Any band is going
to play their current hit(s) but their shows aren’t predictable. The
have a huge repertoire of songs and if you don’t want to hear a 20 min
version of Two Step you must be nuts! Their jams are amazing! and the
songs are usually “catchy”. Their horn section is great, the one guy
plays two at once. The violinist could bench press his own tour bus.
The bassist does some great stuff (all along the watcher is great) and
if Superman and Wonderwoman had a baby whose special talent was
playing the drums, it would be Carter. If you’ve seen them live then
you know they are ridiculously talented!

Maybe if Live Nation and the cops let more music lovers enjoy
themselves there wouldn’t be room for so many kids to be stupid.

Comment by Let the people enjoy the music! — June 17th, 2010 @ 1:16
am

82.@GratefullyFedUp (#21)

“SPAC is inviting a riot if they plan on following through on what
they say. No one in their right mind will let themselves be harassed
as they are indicating in this article.”

They harass you because they know they can. Give them a reason to not
harass you, or continue being harassed.

Ta

Comment by Wilhelm — June 17th, 2010 @ 3:18 am

83.Itchy finger-#76. I totally agree with you. I wish the crack down
did not have to happen. I too think parents should be held completely
responsible for their children’s behavior and not be allowed to sue.
Unfortunately, it is a common right to be able to sue and if a parent
is not around and something happens to their minor, it going to be the
fault of the location(organization) where the child was injured, etc.
I think the crowds for DMB and Phish as well as all the other live
nation concerts, are just great. I enjoy meeting them in town, and
like the fact that they spend lots of money in our community. I am
sorry that the fans have to experience the legal searches, and that
the laws, yes there are laws on the books, have to be so heavily
enforced. As I said earlier, I think it is great to be able to enjoy a
couple of cold beers, especially if it going to be 90 degrees, but the
underage drinkers and drug users need to be policed. The police force
cannot pick and choose what laws they will try to enforce, they are
just doing the best they can. Also I realize I misspelled “they’re”
above. As in “they’re grumpy”. Hope those of you in our town are
enjoying your time here, and realize that not all of us “old people”
are hippie haters(ugh-so 60’s!)

Comment by SaraT — June 17th, 2010 @ 8:14 am

84.I encourage all of the Phish fans to drink up, smoke up and make
some noise because all of you wanna be unemployed, stinky, “gratefully
dead” fans supplement my income. Catch you later

Thank You

Comment by ParkCop — June 17th, 2010 @ 8:27 am

85.Ta,

I have never given the police a reason to harrass me. I’ve been
following phish for 18 years now and never had a problem. Been going
up to SPAC for over 20 and the same could be said for that. If they
have such a hard on for the law, then why are other events not policed
this way? It’s total BS and they are discriminating against various
groups and should be sued. Sorry, I don’t want to live in Hitlers
Germany like you do, you facist!!!

Comment by GratefullyFedUp — June 17th, 2010 @ 9:28 am

86.ParkCop — You just showed your true colors by stereotyping the
fans. I am a 27 year old, employed full-time and shower. Us fans do
not all advocate doing illegal activity. I am all for being within
bounds, hanging with a couple of friends enjoying a cold one while
sitting out in the sun (I would presume you are against drinking and
are alcohol free in your time since you pass judgment on those that
want to drink). I am not for any illicit drugs since they create a
problem for those of us that are over 21 and want to enjoy a day in
the park before seeing a great show.

Why doesn’t the park create a section for those 21+ with multiple
gates in the front and allow cars in where everyone shows ID and does
not have a ridiculous amount of beer which will show they will be
drinking responsibly and not getting utterly fall-down wasted? Sort of
like a tailgaters haven. They can also feel free to monitor activity
in there, but with more focus on who is causing trouble or doing
anything illegal. I am sorry, I just would like to enjoy 2 or 3 beers
before going into the show and not purchase $10-$12 dixie cups of beer
and getting knocked over in the beer tent by someone that has had way
too many (but it’s ok since it’s in the beer tent and not in the
park).

We need a solution, no more bickering. Let those who cannot be
responsible or are underage enjoy their time in other parts of the
park where alcohol is not permitted. This is a win-win for all, let
the responsible patrons have their relaxing day in the park and let
those that don’t know how to be responsible pay for their own actions.

Comment by Dan — June 17th, 2010 @ 9:28 am

87.“parkCop”…Great grammar! Your comment didn’t even make logical
sense. Oh yeah you are a “parkcop”…I listen to Phish, bathe regularly
and enjoy a healthy 6 figure income. So I guess I will continue to
“supplement” your stupidity along with your 30k income!

Comment by john p — June 17th, 2010 @ 9:43 am

88.Dan…a 21+ over section of the park or parking area is a great idea.
They’ll never do it, though…makes too much sense.

Comment by swank — June 17th, 2010 @ 11:21 am

89.@GratefullyFedUp

Sir -

You’ve apparently misinterpreted my meaning. . . By stating that they
harass you because they can, did not mean that authority figures need
any reason to harass you.

Big Brother’s greatest fear these days is “little brother” – law
abiding citizens armed with camcorders, cameras and other audio/video
capturing devices (cellphones for example).

If you see misuse of authority – record it, document it, and spread it
like a virus. Let them dig their own graves.

Ta

Comment by Wilhelm — June 17th, 2010 @ 11:39 am

90.Christen says:
Hey guys. I just wanted to remind everyone that we’d like to see a
higher level of civility amongst commenters. We know that there have
been some questionable comments that have gotten through, but we’re
working on a more firm set of guidelines when it comes to commenting
on Saratoga Seen.
We’re all adults here. We can disagree about different points without
name calling. Let’s just keep the discussion rolling, but with respect
for others.

Comment by Christen Gowan — June 17th, 2010 @ 11:49 am

91.Wihelm, your right, totally read that wrong. Sorry about that. If
your going, have a good show.

Comment by GratefullyFedUp — June 17th, 2010 @ 12:04 pm

92.I’ve been a fan for a long time (‘92), but I won’t got to another
concert in the North East. Too many kiddie drinkers and drunks. I
don’t think the NE realizes they have such a bad reputation among
phans outside of the area.

My experience at Coventry with Braaahston Brah’s and drunk people
falling into everyone around them hammered on whiskey or Everclear,
puking in the mud … it was too much. Not a few, I mean a TON of
people. Something about the NE and getting drunk and slipping in their
own puke. You didn’t see anything like that in Cali at Festival 8. It
was very orderly and lucid and big eyed. Even Dead shows at Giants
Stadium they had to stop the concert to ask people to stop diving off
the upper deck. That’s crazy.

So eat a chocolate, read a paper, have some tea and a brownie with
your good friend Molly, and take a bunch of drinks of water and enjoy
yourself and mellow out.

If you’re getting drunk at a Phish show you’re a newbie. Or you don’t
have any friends.

Comment by Mr. Palmer S. Concerned — June 17th, 2010 @ 12:11 pm

93.Christian,

Totally agree with you on civility, also on dropping the stereotypes
about Phish fans being smelly stoner kids etc. and not professionals,
etc. I see a lot more of that coming from the folks who are in support
of this police crackdown at SPAC than those who are smugly throwing
stinkbombs in the fan’s direction.

In point of fact, many Phish fans are professionals (like myself) and
also have done some awesome projects for charity. Check out The
Mockingbird Foundation http://www.mbird.org and the Phish fan website
and blog. http://www.phish.net and http://www.blog.phish.net.

As to this issue, check out the story/video on our blog about the
Phish concert in Portsmouth. Like Americade in Lake George, while you
have some grumbling about mass events that bring tourists to town, the
overwhelming local attitude is GRATITUDE for the economic boost,
especially in these tough times.

To those cheering on the Park Police to make some kind of culture war
statement, ask whether you would be better off if SPAC were to drop
DMB, Phish and the big LiveNation concerts. What it would do, IMO, is
shutter SPAC completely in short order because their other events —
ballet, orchestra, jazz festival — gush red ink. And NYS is broke.
And, although you may not realize this, SPAC is hardly unique, there
are lots of ampitheatres and arenas desperate for business.

Like Portsmouth (or the Glens Falls Civic Center), where they hadn’t
had a sold out show in years.

Don’t like motorcyclists? Don’t go to Americade. Don’t like Phish at
SPAC? Don’t go. But find something other than tossing sour smokebombs
from your keyboard at those who like Phish’s music.

This has been blogged on the Phish fan’s site blog here: http://tinyurl.com/37kdqvg
.

Thanks for reading and your consideration.

Comment by Phishnet — June 17th, 2010 @ 12:24 pm

94.Christian: If you can change the link to my name above, it should
be http://blog.phish.net (no www) thanks. The links in the body of the
comment are good.

Comment by Phishnet — June 17th, 2010 @ 12:28 pm

95.Swank – LOL!!! Of course, right? The answer is always to throw more
money and be on one end of the spectrum or the other. There’s no
appropriate middle ground in the minds of those who are planning the
events. On one hand we have the “classy” crowds of the Jazz/Ballet
concerts who can bring whatever they want inside and on the other hand
we have the “lowlife” crowds of Live Nation concerts who need to be
babysat. A compromise of standards needs to happen and a solution that
is put in as policy valid for ALL CONCERT GOERS must be put in place.
NO DOUBLE STANDARDS. What goes for people who attend non-regulated
events as SPAC must have to abide by the same rules as those who go to
the hard-ball policy regulated events. Put the shoe on the other foot,
I wouldn’t even be surprised that many who go to the Jazz concerts are
also Phish phans! Us phans appreciate many types of music that carries
sweet tunes.

Comment by Dan — June 17th, 2010 @ 12:35 pm

96.Phishnet – very well said.

Comment by swank — June 17th, 2010 @ 12:48 pm

97.Mr. Palmer,

Not everyone has a positive reaction to the “items” you are
suggesting, just like not everyone has a positive reaction to Alcohol
as you pointed out. This decision should be left up to the individual.

Comment by Mr. Minor — June 17th, 2010 @ 12:48 pm

98.Mr. Minor,

Of course not. It should always be left up to the individual. I don’t
endorse anything that makes you a nuisance to others around you. We’ve
seen many spunions wandering around that needed adult supervision.

There is responsible usage, and irresponsible usage of … almost
anything. Always be responsible.

But alas … there are a lot people who end up with alcohol poisoning,
and/or doing irrational and dangerous things with alcohol.

Don’t drive under any intoxication. Ever. Always have a sober friend
when you’re in need.

As my Dad used to say before I went out … “Be responsible and be good.
If you can’t be good, than be safe.”

Comment by Mr. Palmer S. Concerned — June 17th, 2010 @ 4:22 pm

99.Nice with the drug innuendos Mr. Palmer. That seems to be a
ridiculous generalization. I have seen phish concerts all over country
for 20 years and europe and have seen the same stuff everywhere.

Comment by john p — June 17th, 2010 @ 4:31 pm

100.#83
SaraT, it’s the generalities which enslave all of us!

The “common right” to sue is agreed on, but only when the would-be
defendant has caused damages. SPAC is not a baby-sitting service,
therefore it should not be named as a lawsuit defendant in any court
of law. Not when they maintain all legally required environmental,
health, and fire code safety standards. SPAC should not be held liable
for what happens to the children of parents who choose to allow them
to attend raucus concerts unattended, and the law should not enable
them to threaten spac in that way. SPAC should not pay, because when
they can be made to pay, ALL OF US PAY – and I owe absoultely nothing
to such obnoxiously stupid parents!

What could fix it (for us all) is for SPAC to deny admission to all
minors not accompanied by an adult. The ticket sales lost may be
dwarfed compared to their expenditures on security personnel, alchohol-
sniffers, and other such Orwellian evils. As for the damned alcohol
corral, this just shows the contempt which SPAC executives have for
the people who keep them employed – what isn’t necessary at Albany’s
Alive@Five events (which requires wrist-band purchase, but has never
so arrogantly detained alchohol buyers from view of the stage area) is
not necessary at SPAC.

The solution is simple, but the situation is beyond pitiful when the
legal system, the parents, the city of Saratoga, and SPAC officials
all need their heads smashed together before anything good comes out
between them.

Comment by Itchyfinger — June 17th, 2010 @ 5:00 pm

101.I guess I’ll avoid going to any shows at SPAC. Too bad, I heard it
was once a fun place. Never been there.

Comment by chrisvb — June 17th, 2010 @ 6:15 pm

102.If EVERYONE follows the rules, EVERYONE can enjoy the show! Some
people do want to go and enjoy the show without the hassle of smelling
weed, bodily odors, and seeing people urinating and puking all around
the entire show, not to mention the larcenies and sexual assualts.
As for WILHELM, If you want a riot, bring it on, the police are
prepared! If for some reason you did win a battle, YOU WILL NOT WIN
THE WAR! (Isn’t there a song, “I fought the LAW and the LAW WON”)
Also, all of the people that are assigned to work at SPAC ENCOURAGE
your video cameras! Just make sure you have the all of the events that
lead up to an arrest. These Officers are very Professional and use
ALOT of discretion when dealing with the public!!!!
As for John P, you should do your research. The base for an entry
level Trooper is around $75K without any overtime and I think most of
the Park Police earn that easily every year.

Enjoy the show, and be SAFE!

Comment by TROOPER SPAC — June 17th, 2010 @ 11:51 pm

103.Lest we forget, dear SPAC Executive Board, today’s harrassed DMB
and Phish ticket holders are tomorrow’s lost Golden Patrons.

Boycott alcohol sales inside the venue.

Comment by Mr Subb — June 18th, 2010 @ 9:23 am

104.Wow, sounds like this “TROOPER SPAC” is looking for a fight.
Personally i think we need someone to protect us from him, but that
would be redundant. Hey, trooper is this really how you talk to the
people that pay the taxes that allow you to make 75k without overtime.
Look I’m not anti authority, we need structure in order to make
society work. But what we don’t need is some guy taking out his
aggresions on phans becuase the cool kids picked on him in high
school.

P.S. Keep the word proffesional out of your mouth until you understand
what that word means.

Comment by taxpaying phan — June 18th, 2010 @ 9:26 am

105.#102 is clearly not a NYS Trooper.

From what I’ve read, it sounds like the Police are treating this Phish
concert like a Hip Hop event, how dare they! ha ha

Enjoy the show everyone.

Maybe they should use the same dress code as MINE.

Comment by GQQSE — June 18th, 2010 @ 10:20 am

106.Headline should be:
Police to harsh, Phish fans mellow

Comment by August West — June 18th, 2010 @ 10:38 am

107.@TROOPER SPAC #102

“Officer”, I hope you are not really an LEO or working at SPAC, but
are a “wannabee” anonymous commenter that wants to make a point about
something about which I suspect you know little, that is, security at
rock concerts and similar mass public gatherings.

While the Park Police have announced stepped up enforcement of the
alcohol ban in the lots (lightly or not enforced until this spring),
there is nothing to suggest that they want to return to the “over the
top” kinds of enforcement INSIDE the venue that they sometimes use.

With the possible exception of drunken driving to and from the venue,
and around the venue (with pedestrians on State Route 50), the
atmosphere inside the venue, aside from the wild dancing on the edges
of the lawn, is hardly the riot scene you have described. There have
been few deaths, arrests or problems with six Phish that have happened
at SPAC in the past, including last year. I think you have the “scene”
confused with Woodstock 1999.

I don’t know any of the police involved, but I am friends with a
former supervisor for the contracted “yellowshirt” security teams that
work inside the venue along with law enforcement, and they, and any
EMT that works these events will tell you the problems are lower than
the average mass gathering of this size (25,000+) people. With any
such gathering, you are always going to have a few troublemakers, but
the inside the venue scene is hardly the riotous, Wild West atmosphere
you suggest.

It’s actually kind of tame, even boring (especially if you don’t like
Phish’s music).

Comment by Phishnet — June 18th, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

108.This is so stupid.

Comment by Adam — June 18th, 2010 @ 3:26 pm

109.re:#102, I will have to concur with phishnet’s theory. That you
aren’t actually an officer but some wannabe trying to paint positive
people in a negative light. So I will apoligize to Real members of
enforcment for your ignorant comments that painted them in a bad
light. Sorry.

Look, I got no problem with johhny law hanging out, heck Hope to see a
cop getting down. As long as he is there to protect and serve, not
scheme and scam to fatten NY coffers.

As far as the show, I will be there with bells on. And I hope the
ignorance of few won’t hinder the enjoyment of the many.

Comment by taxpayer in rochester that can't wait till 7pm eastern
starndard time on saturday june 19th and 20th — June 18th, 2010 @ 3:46
pm

110.SPAC has been going downhill for years. Too bad. I use to love
going there. Now we try to catch bands in other venues.

Comment by Pat — June 19th, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

111.Great editorial in todays paper pointing out the complete failure
of the crackdown. I wonder if this will only infuriate the State Park
Police more.

So how was the traffic getting in tonight? We are going up tomorrow
and looking for some recon because this 50 year old taxpayer, SPAC
contributer will be p*ssed if I can have a beer before going in.

Comment by OLDPHAN — June 19th, 2010 @ 9:35 pm

112.Remember the marshmellows on the bridge. Good times.

Comment by sunnyd — June 20th, 2010 @ 11:47 am

113.I agree with many of the comments that SPAC is going about the
drinking issue all wrong. Yes, underage concertgoers should be
prevented from consuming alcohol. If they are going to require so many
cops on property than go ahead and card everyone, I have no problem
showing that I am of legal age and therefore have the right to have a
drink or 2 or 3!
If SPAC is going to allow drinking inside at their beer garden, then
make it accessible. We waited 35 minutes to get a beer after being
shoved into lines like cattle. SPAC is not making the money they could
from beer sales and if I was the beer vendor, I would be PISSED! Has
SPAC not done the research on other venues? there are more efficient
ways to allow those old enough to drink, to consume their drinks and
still have fun. There are also better ways for SPAC and vendors to
make money on beer sales!
Lastly, if there are going to be a ton of police and security, then
please help the idiots trying to cross rt 50. Yes, I know they should
use the footbridge, but if they are not, then stop traffic and help in
the eye of safety.
SPAC, get it together or you will continue to lose concertgoers. We
don’t want to travel out of state to see a show, but your venue is
becoming less and less attractive each year.

Comment by G — June 21st, 2010 @ 10:00 am

114.G-
I agree with you very much. I saw the Grateful Dead at Mountainview in
California in 1994. I was shocked to see that they had a regular, open
air bar. No crazy lines, no chainlink fence and barbed wire, no three
levels deep worth of ID checks.

I bought a pint of microbrew for $4 or $5, barely more than a pint
cost at a bar (at the time). I then carried it to my seat on the lawn,
un-accosted. Much to my surprise, the sky did not fall, legions of
drunk, underage children did not riot, and I, personally, did not turn
into an out of control drunk.

Phish has hosted several huge festivals, and make their own rules at
these large events that attract several times the number of people a
SPAC show does. They handle security with more rationality and less
paranoia, and guess what? Everyone has a good time, and no one gets
hurt.

gratefuljoe

Jun 23, 2010, 7:39:17 AM6/23/10
Accolite2 wrote on Jun 22, 2010 6:18 AM:

" Why are we letting SPAC put on a so called concert which is a magnet
for low life's to come to our CITY.There is no place here for groups
like Phish. "

POTW? Just kidding,Phans

Joker

Jun 23, 2010, 12:31:24 PM6/23/10

Wow, 68 arrests. Am I impressed yet?
Things must surely be going to hell in a bucket...

Ray OHara

Jun 23, 2010, 1:01:21 PM6/23/10

"Joker" <joke...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Or at least to jail in a paddy wagon.

sparksfly

Jun 23, 2010, 3:03:02 PM6/23/10
On Jun 23, 6:31 am, booie <ba_ba_b0...@webtv.net> wrote:
> State Park Police arrest 68 during Phish concert weekend
> Published: Tuesday, June 22, 2010
>
> http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2010/06/22/news/doc4c201e196165959...
> concert"? Pretty sure that ...
>
> read more »

Nobody performed a tracheotomy on themselves at least. Ya gotta give
phishheads some credit.

Mike

dabassguy1

Jun 23, 2010, 3:37:47 PM6/23/10
That ain't nuttin'

The local LEO's got 149 in one afternoon here at the Phish show at Va Beach
Ampitheatre in 1998.

sixty-eight, smixty eight. Dem' NY trooper got nuttin' on the Va Beach
jackboots. Go to your room NY troopers.

J.

Neil X

Jun 23, 2010, 4:45:49 PM6/23/10

68 arrests from a two day series of shows with 40,000+ in attendance
each show. That arrest rate is 4-5X lower than Angel Camp was. And
no one, to my knowledge, slit their own throats open.

HTH,
Neil X.

Edwin Hurwitz

Jun 26, 2010, 4:44:03 PM6/26/10
In article
<0f3f1ee0-1e10-495a...@j4g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
booie <ba_ba...@webtv.net> wrote:

> Good thing I did not go.
> I heard they checked every car on the way in like you were going to a
> festival.
> Confiscating all beer on the way in.
> No beer on the park property.
> That sucks.
> Any Saratoga experiences?
> Besides 1985.
>

> booie............

I enjoyed the hell out of '83 and '84. I don't remember any real
security hassles or crowd hassles. A lot of people, but a lot of fun.

Edwin

wyeknot

Jun 26, 2010, 6:37:20 PM6/26/10
On Jun 26, 4:44 pm, Edwin Hurwitz <ed...@indra.com> wrote:
> > Any Saratoga experiences?
> > Besides 1985.

Tons. Grew up there. Graduated HS on the stage. Attended over 10
concerts per summer as it was a given activity on many summer nights.
Grateful Dead 83, 84, 85, 88, Furthur Fest, Other Ones, The Dead,
Phish 94, 04, 09. Saw Clapton in '82, the Talking Heads Stop Making
Sense show in 83, Zappa in '84. Dead 85 I was in aisle behind section
5 looking up at the dudes hanging off the balcony - first step's a
real doozie.

Been mega-hassled by mounted police ("Put your hands on my horse"
"But officer, I don't even know your horse!". Have been a too-drunk
9th grader in the park. Swam in the pool. Fooled around with
ladies. Explored. Grilled. Threw frisbies. Kicked hacky sacks.
Jammed on guitars.

It's a depressingly different place now where tailgating at the Geyser
picnic area is no longer allowed. And the concert area is a complete
hassle for sold-out shows - if you're not sitting in the pavilion,
it's just not worth going, imho.

Best bet nowadays is to drink/eat at the Parting Glass in Saratoga and
take a cab to the gate for showtime.

Matt