4:20 ?????

1 view

Chris Stimac

Jun 15, 1994, 12:00:17 AM6/15/94
I saw lots of shirts at Cal Expo with "4:20" written on the front
and then 24/7, 365 on the back. I can figure out the 24/7 bit, but
what the hell does 4:20 mean? At first I thought this was maybe a
Bible reference like all those signs at baseball and football games,
but a friend thought it had something to do with getting stoned.
Any clues?

CRS
"Some are mathematicians..."

Jason Thomas Grauman

Jun 15, 1994, 11:36:56 AM6/15/94
>...but what th hell does 4:20 mean?

The time for stoners to stone each other..and they do it 24/7, 365.

Tom Livingston

Jun 15, 1994, 2:17:17 PM6/15/94
In article <CrF74...@ucdavis.edu>,

Chris Stimac <sti...@turing.ucdavis.edu> wrote:
>I saw lots of shirts at Cal Expo with "4:20" written on the front
>and then 24/7, 365 on the back. I can figure out the 24/7 bit, but
>what the hell does 4:20 mean?

I saw one of those at Phish at red rocks... I want one!
My understanding is that 420 is the California highway patrol call
for marijuana smoking in progress... changing it to 4:20 sort
of moves it to 'What time is it? Time to...'. Of course, having
never lived in california, nor been a chp officer, this is all
subject to doubt :-)

Tom

--
Tom Livingston t...@netcom.com

kevin

Jun 15, 1994, 10:11:29 PM6/15/94
sti...@turing.ucdavis.edu (Chris Stimac) writes:

{> I saw lots of shirts at Cal Expo with "4:20" written on the front

If I remember correctly, it's the police slang for being stoned.

kevin
ke...@c-cat.pg.md.us

This message was sent from:
China Cat BBS (301)604-5976

Derek Gulbranson

Jun 16, 1994, 3:14:21 AM6/16/94

Cops use various codes over the radio so other cops can quickly identify
exactly what is happening with the other cops, that way they don't have to
explain
it all out. Most of them begin with 4 and 4-20 is the denotation for when
they see those hoodlums and harden criminals smoking pot, and the rest of us
too. Oh and I don't think it's just a CHP thing, it's EVERYWHERE:)
dEREK

Aric G. Ahrens

Jun 16, 1994, 2:23:46 PM6/16/94
In <tslCrG...@netcom.com> t...@netcom.com writes:

I had someone explain it to me that there were 420 chemicals in
marijuana, and that is why 4:20 is the time to light up.

I have no idea whether there are actually 420 chemicals in pot,
or whether that's the reason for the 4:20 time, that's just
what I've heard... looks like this thread could last a while...
unless some enlightened person out there is actually sure of
the origin of 4:20.

Later, Aric

Bill Moore

Jun 16, 1994, 9:45:35 PM6/16/94
In article <1994Jun16.1...@iitmax.iit.edu> LIBA...@minna.acc.iit.edu (Aric G. Ahrens) writes:
> I have no idea whether there are actually 420 chemicals in pot,
> or whether that's the reason for the 4:20 time, that's just
> what I've heard... looks like this thread could last a while...
> unless some enlightened person out there is actually sure of
> the origin of 4:20.

From the same place, no doubt, as "9:10, toast your friends"

Bill

Andy John

Jun 16, 1994, 10:29:30 PM6/16/94
There was just an article in a local campus newspaper (UC Santa Cruz)
about a group of pot smokers who gather at 4:20 in front of the
library/important-person's-office to have a smoke out. They
called it "4:20", and the general consensus was that it was
because of the poliece 420 code. It's in danger of sying out,
though. Maybe they made shirts?????
.

Terrance J Scanlon

Jun 17, 1994, 9:35:12 AM6/17/94
I much prefer the CHP rumor - can anyone verify it ???

Chris

Jun 18, 1994, 12:39:53 PM6/18/94
> I had someone explain it to me that there were 420 chemicals in
> marijuana, and that is why 4:20 is the time to light up.

Nope, not true. Four-twenty is the time I usually get home from
work!
--
CJL
We're only in it for the money.

Stephen Windsor

Jun 20, 1994, 8:11:29 AM6/20/94

???? doesn't anyone know this one ????

albert hoffman....april 19, 1943...4:20 bicycle ride....

come on, shake loose those neurons :^)

stephen