Why did the GD audience always cheer when Jerry sang....

The old geezer

Nov 18, 2009, 6:22:11 PM11/18/09
...these lines from "Candyman"; "If I had me a shotgun, I'd blow you
straight to H**L"! ???

It happened at *every* concert I attended when Jerry performed this
particular tune.

Never could really understand this, especially when this response came
from the "Peace & Love" generation. It always upset me since violence
only begats more violence.

Perhaps my memory fails me & it only started to happen once the Touch
Heads began "attending" the GD concerts.

Thoughts....
Comments...

The old geezer

ND: Old Thumper Extra Special Ale
NP: A Piece Of Infinity - Steve Roach

hp

Nov 18, 2009, 6:24:08 PM11/18/09

I always thought many of these reactions came as a response to
"outside the box" statements; the things people didn't "normally" say.

Andrew

Nov 18, 2009, 6:44:22 PM11/18/09
On Nov 18, 3:22 pm, The old geezer <J...@aol.com> wrote:
> ...these lines from "Candyman"; "If I had me a shotgun, I'd blow you
> straight to H**L"! ???

Part of it was the fact that it was at the point in the song where the
band wanted you to cheer. It was generally the musical and lyrical
apex of the song. Phil would build to a big peak and Garcia would roar
out the lyrics. It didn't necessarily matter what the line would have
been there, it would have gotten a roar.

Now, I'm sure that this line probably got a bigger roar than "if I had
a tomato, I would make a BLT" would have gotten, but still...

3jane.

Nov 18, 2009, 6:51:08 PM11/18/09

That sure would have gotten a roar out of me.

Sweetbac

Nov 18, 2009, 7:02:08 PM11/18/09

"The old geezer" <JY...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Thoughts....
> Comments...
>
> The old geezer
>
> ND: Old Thumper Extra Special Ale
> NP: A Piece Of Infinity - Steve Roach

I'd lay off the "Old Thumpers" and new age music, Pedro.

The old geezer

Nov 18, 2009, 7:24:50 PM11/18/09
On Nov 18, 7:02�pm, "Sweetbac" <sweetb...@scbglobal.net> wrote:
> "The old geezer" <J...@aol.com> wrote in message

Why??? What else is there to do? And it's MR. Geezer to you, pal!

TOG

Will in New Haven

Nov 18, 2009, 8:42:04 PM11/18/09

I think you have it right about why the cheer. However, I think the
replacement line might have gotten a _bigger_ cheer. Getting the mood
for a Dead show usually meant you were in the mood for a BLT also.

--
Will, going to make a sangwich, in New Haven

Brad Greer

Nov 18, 2009, 8:54:58 PM11/18/09
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:44:22 -0800 (PST), Andrew <amu...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Are you kidding? If Jerry had sung those words there would have been
a roar from the crowd and a 500 post thread about teleprompters here.

And people selling kind BLTs after the show.

Seth Buttock

Nov 18, 2009, 10:03:16 PM11/18/09
On Nov 18, 3:22 pm, The old geezer <J...@aol.com> wrote:

No it didn't start post-Touch of Grey. And the cheers had to do with
the emotional resonance of the lyrics for people tired of authority
figures getting their way. And you're a tired, bitter alcoholic who
hates people who came after him, in other words, young people. Fuck
yourself, you whiny crank. :)

John Doherty

Nov 18, 2009, 10:17:28 PM11/18/09
On Nov 18, 6:22 pm, The old geezer <J...@aol.com> wrote:
> ...these lines from "Candyman"; "If I had me a shotgun, I'd blow you
> straight to H**L"! ???
>
> It happened at *every* concert I attended when Jerry performed this
> particular tune.
>
> Never could really understand this, especially when this response came
> from the "Peace & Love" generation.  It always upset me since violence
> only begats more violence....
> Thoughts....
> Comments...

Workingman's Id?;-)

Jperdue4

Nov 18, 2009, 10:19:18 PM11/18/09
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:51:08 -0800 (PST), "3jane." <q3j...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

For me, the BLT is THE sandwich. Ive even had them with fake bacon and
they rock.
jonp

JimK

Nov 18, 2009, 11:44:39 PM11/18/09

Bacon may just be the perfect food....if only it didn't kill you to
eat too much of it.

JimK

Joker

Nov 19, 2009, 12:21:39 AM11/19/09
On Nov 18, 8:44 pm, JimK <jkezw...@comcast.net> wrote:

> >>That sure would have gotten a roar out of me.
>
> >For me, the BLT is THE sandwich. Ive even had them with fake bacon and
> >they rock.
> >jonp
>
> Bacon may just be the perfect food....if only it didn't kill you to
> eat too much of it.
>
> JimK

I ain't dead yet...

Message has been deleted

Rogues Island's finest

Nov 19, 2009, 8:22:37 AM11/19/09

Meh. I know of at least 5 sandwiches that could elicit better cheers.

Mark

Ken Fortenberry

Nov 19, 2009, 8:38:41 AM11/19/09
The old geezer wrote:
> ...these lines from "Candyman"; "If I had me a shotgun, I'd blow you
> straight to H**L"! ???
>
> It happened at *every* concert I attended when Jerry performed this
> particular tune.
>
> Never could really understand this, especially when this response came
> from the "Peace & Love" generation. It always upset me since violence
> only begats more violence.
>
> Perhaps my memory fails me & it only started to happen once the Touch
> Heads began "attending" the GD concerts.
>
> Thoughts....
> Comments...

According to the Annotated Lyrics "Mr. Benson" is a synonym
for "The Man", and who doesn't want to stick it to the man ?

--
Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry

Nov 19, 2009, 8:44:50 AM11/19/09
JimK wrote:

> Jperdue4 wrote:
>> For me, the BLT is THE sandwich. Ive even had them with fake bacon and
>> they rock.

Yeah, the BLT done right is a culinary glory. On the other hand
if all you have is hot house tomatoes you're better off waiting
until summer when you can get ripe tomatoes. And don't get me
started on Miracle Whip. Whoever invented that crap ought to be
horsewhipped right next to anyone who would ever befoul a BLT
with it.

> Bacon may just be the perfect food....if only it didn't kill you to
> eat too much of it.

I've heard it said that if you could digest the shell the egg
would be the perfect food.

--
Ken Fortenberry

JimK

Nov 19, 2009, 9:14:20 AM11/19/09

IIAHSWYII?

JimK

Joker

Nov 19, 2009, 9:22:12 AM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 5:38 am, Ken Fortenberry <kennethfortenbe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> According to the Annotated Lyrics "Mr. Benson" is a synonym
> for "The Man", and who doesn't want to stick it to the man ?
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

He just blew Mr. Benson straight to hell, the body ain't even cold,
and here you come talking shit about him. No class, none...

Joker

Nov 19, 2009, 9:25:57 AM11/19/09
wrote:

> According to the Annotated Lyrics "Mr. Benson" is a synonym
> for "The Man", and who doesn't want to stick it to the man ?

"Stick it to the man" implies doing him wrong, physically or
otherwise. That is just plain unethical and the Deadheads around here
will NOT stand for unethicallness.
HTH...

Ken Fortenberry

Nov 19, 2009, 11:00:19 AM11/19/09
JimK wrote:

> Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>> The old geezer wrote:
>>> ...these lines from "Candyman"; "If I had me a shotgun, I'd blow you
>>> straight to H**L"! ???
>>> <snip>

>> According to the Annotated Lyrics "Mr. Benson" is a synonym
>> for "The Man", and who doesn't want to stick it to the man ?
>
> IIAHSWYII?

VERY good ! Developing a sense of humor takes practice and
while this is neither original or funny it is certainly a
baby step in the right direction.

Good for you. Keep up the good work.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Kelly Humphries

Nov 19, 2009, 11:27:06 AM11/19/09

Join the club.

Andrew

Nov 19, 2009, 11:53:12 AM11/19/09
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
> JimK wrote:
>> Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>>>
>>> According to the Annotated Lyrics "Mr. Benson" is a synonym
>>> for "The Man", and who doesn't want to stick it to the man ?
>>
>> IIAHSWYII?
>
> VERY good ! Developing a sense of humor takes practice and
> while this is neither original or funny

You wouldn't know funny if it kicked your cane out from under you...

Ken Fortenberry

Nov 19, 2009, 12:01:50 PM11/19/09

Heh. Not bad, on a scale of Seinfeld to Cosby I'd rank that
between a Don Knotts and a Don Rickles.

--
Ken Fortenberry

mr.rapidan

Nov 19, 2009, 12:41:07 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 11:27 am, Kelly Humphries <kpiscesatspeakeasydotorg> wrote:

Just use sandwich skewers.

Lfh

Nov 19, 2009, 1:12:57 PM11/19/09
On Nov 18, 3:44 pm, Andrew <amur...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Part of it was the fact that it was at the point in the song where the
> band wanted you to cheer.

Link?

> It was generally the musical and lyrical
> apex of the song. Phil would build to a big peak and Garcia would roar
> out the lyrics. It didn't necessarily matter what the line would have
> been there, it would have gotten a roar.

Jerry very often didn't roar out the lyrics at all, and folks always
cheered like crazy, anyway, so this doesn't sound very convincing.

It seems like the authority figure thing is closer to the truth,
though it's not clear at all who this Mr. Benson guy is. That "I see
you're doing well" line is ambiguous, so there's a lot of filling in
the blanks going on, but it could be kind of the opposite sentiment of
that other sure-fire cheer inducer, "why don't you arrest me."

> Now, I'm sure that this line probably got a bigger roar than "if I had
> a tomato, I would make a BLT" would have gotten, but still...

You mayo may not be right, but lettuce move on to more meatier
topics.

Fred

Lfh

Nov 19, 2009, 1:16:05 PM11/19/09
On Nov 18, 3:22 pm, The old geezer <J...@aol.com> wrote:
> H**L"! ???

Uh, Geez, what's the deal here? You think you might go to h**l if you
type out such a scandalous word or something?

Fred

marcman

Nov 19, 2009, 1:24:13 PM11/19/09
On Nov 18, 6:22 pm, The old geezer <J...@aol.com> wrote:
> ...these lines from "Candyman"; "If I had me a shotgun, I'd blow you
> straight to H**L"! ???
>
> It happened at *every* concert I attended when Jerry performed this
> particular tune.

I wish I was a headlight, on a northbound train
I wish I was a headlight, on a northbound train
I'd shime my light through the, cool Colorado rain . . .

That second time around for the headlight line . . . usually lotsa
cheering. Man is it sweet when Jerry is really up to belting out those
lines . . . makes me smile just thinking about it. Gonna miss me when
I'm gone indeed.

Lfh

Nov 19, 2009, 1:35:24 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 10:24 am, marcman <marcmanstud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wish I was a headlight, on a northbound train
> I wish I was a headlight, on a northbound train
> I'd shime my light through the, cool Colorado rain . . .
>
> That second time around for the headlight line . . . usually lotsa
> cheering. Man is it sweet when Jerry is really up to belting out those
> lines . . . makes me smile just thinking about it. Gonna miss me when
> I'm gone indeed.

Ah, that headlight. A personal fave, and you are right about the lotsa
cheering, if you replace "usually" with "always."

Damn, why can't someone upload an aud of that incredible 5/7/84
*double* headlight. I'd love to hear the crowd reaction to that. Jer
cuts off Bobby as he's going into the outro vox and comes *roaring* in
with a passion that's frighteningly intense. Ain't no way that was an
accident. He meant it. One of my all-time favorite Jerry moments.

Fred

Message has been deleted

gratefuljoe

Nov 19, 2009, 1:49:32 PM11/19/09
Wasn't the REALLY big cheering when Jerry sang the line of "Want you
to tell everybody you meet
the Candyman's in town"?

Maybe its the skunk beer?

gratefuljoe

Nov 19, 2009, 1:52:27 PM11/19/09

12/15/86 would be the most obvious example after the coma.

Lfh

Nov 19, 2009, 1:57:30 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 10:52 am, gratefuljoe <grateful...@aol.com> wrote:

> > Wasn't the REALLY big cheering when Jerry sang the line of "Want you
> > to tell everybody you meet
> > the Candyman's in town"?

HRYK

> 12/15/86 would be the most obvious example after the coma.

I believe the "I will survive's" got a cheer or two that night, as
well.

Fred

The old geezer

Nov 19, 2009, 1:57:56 PM11/19/09

Just being polite.

TOG

marcman

Nov 19, 2009, 1:59:34 PM11/19/09

Besterest Touch evah.

> Fred

Lance

Nov 19, 2009, 2:41:35 PM11/19/09

> According to the Annotated Lyrics "Mr. Benson" is a synonym
> for "The Man", and who doesn't want to stick it to the man ?
> Ken Fortenberry

But wait - we're all missing the obvious Benson here!

(wikipedia) Miles Davis employed George Benson in the mid 1960s,
featuring his guitar on "Paraphernalia" on his 1967 Columbia release,
Miles in the Sky. Benson went to Verve Records afterwards. Then, Creed
Taylor signed him up for his CTI label, where he recorded numerous
albums with jazz heavyweights guesting to limited financial success.
Benson also did a version of The Beatles's 1969 album Abbey Road
called The Other Side of Abbey Road, also released in 1969, and a
version of "White Rabbit", originally written and recorded by San
Francisco rock group Jefferson Airplane, around this time.

Obviously this was a case of playful western gunslinging between GD
and George Benson, much like their days horsing around with
Quicksilver in Nevada City. The uneasy tension between Miles Davis'
band and the Grateful Dead, as referenced in notes to the April 1970
Filmore West shows, yielded this particular musical jab which went on
to be a much loved part of the Dead's repertoire. Benson's involvement
with jazz versions of Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit and various
Beatle's tunes only goes to further this theory.

Now, fast forward to Cornell University on 5/8/77 when George Benson,
hot from the success of his album "Breezin," joined the Grateful Dead
on stage for the second encore, a 27 minute jam built around the theme
from Benson's hit "This Masquerade." No recordings have ever surfaced
from this part of the show and indeed, there is some dispute as to
whether the whole thing even happened.
;)
Lance

Lfh

Nov 19, 2009, 2:47:33 PM11/19/09

How is that being polite?

Fred

JimK

Nov 19, 2009, 4:59:10 PM11/19/09
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:12:57 -0800 (PST), Lfh <onetas...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

One of the other lines that always produced a big crowd reaction was
"I spent doin' time for some other fucker's crime." I always thought
it was odd that the crowd would cheer the fact that someone was
falsely imprisoned, but maybe it was just because Jerry said "fucker".

JimK

JimK

Nov 19, 2009, 5:06:09 PM11/19/09
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:57:30 -0800 (PST), Lfh <onetas...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Nov 19, 10:52 am, gratefuljoe <grateful...@aol.com> wrote:

"New York, got your ways and means" always went over well at the
Garden.

JimK

Mike Healy

Nov 19, 2009, 5:12:15 PM11/19/09
On Nov 18, 4:22 pm, The old geezer <J...@aol.com> wrote:
> ...these lines from "Candyman"; "If I had me a shotgun, I'd blow you
> straight to H**L"! ???
>
> It happened at *every* concert I attended when Jerry performed this
> particular tune.
>
> Never could really understand this, especially when this response came
> from the "Peace & Love" generation.  It always upset me since violence
> only begats more violence.
>
> Perhaps my memory fails me & it only started to happen once the Touch
> Heads began "attending" the GD concerts.
>
> Thoughts....
> Comments...
>
> The old geezer
>
> ND: Old Thumper Extra Special Ale
> NP: A Piece Of Infinity - Steve Roach

That was happening back in 1970. Maybe it was the big grin he'd get
when he sang that line.

Mike

gratefuljoe

Nov 19, 2009, 5:52:39 PM11/19/09
>> One of the other lines that always produced a big crowd reaction was
> "I spent doin' time for some other fucker's crime." I always thought
> it was odd that the crowd would cheer the fact that someone was
> falsely imprisoned, but maybe it was just because Jerry said "fucker".
>
> JimK- Hide quoted text -

For Bertha the Why Don't You Arrest Me line caused great commotion
after Jerry's 1985 bust.

3jane.

Nov 19, 2009, 6:06:01 PM11/19/09
> Now, fast forward to Cornell University on 5/8/77 when George Benson,
> hot from the success of his album "Breezin," joined the Grateful Dead
> on stage for the second encore, a 27 minute jam built around the theme
> from Benson's hit  "This Masquerade." No recordings have ever surfaced
> from this part of the show and indeed, there is some dispute as to
> whether the whole thing even happened.

Well, I learned something new today.

wyeknot

Nov 19, 2009, 6:40:24 PM11/19/09
On Nov 18, 11:44 pm, JimK <jkezw...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Bacon may just be the perfect food....if only it didn't kill you to
> eat too much of it.

I was rewarding myself with an evening off 2 nights ago and for some
reason didn't want a cocktail, so I cooked a pound of bacon -
plain'jane Hannaford's maple bacon. Had it with my chili. Gonna go
have some more in just a little bit.

Matt

Jperdue4

Nov 19, 2009, 7:23:37 PM11/19/09
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:59:10 -0500, JimK <jkez...@comcast.net> wrote:

>One of the other lines that always produced a big crowd reaction was
>"I spent doin' time for some other fucker's crime." I always thought
>it was odd that the crowd would cheer the fact that someone was
>falsely imprisoned, but maybe it was just because Jerry said "fucker".
>
>JimK

the story in my head when i hear that line is that the singer has
spent half his life as an alcoholic or drug addict or just mentally
damaged homeless "type" person as the result of some other "fucker"
"abusing" them somehow and cant seem to get over it. ("over it" is the
wrong term but you know what i mean?)
Half of my life,
i spent doin time
for some other fuckers crime,
the other half found me stumblin around drunk on burgundy wine.

My step father is "some other fucker" in my mind.
Im ok now but he really did a number on me as a kid. Mentally that is,
no sexual stuff but quite physical.
That song has really spoke to me over the years that i was dealing
with all that stuff.
"but ill get back on my feet someday, live the life i should"...i have
a good family now with none of the garbage i grew up with..
"Ill get up and fly away" that part was me leaving home and moving
alone to the west coast years ago.
jeeez........sorry about that digression!

JonP

mjd

Nov 19, 2009, 8:00:08 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 4:59 pm, JimK <jkezw...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:12:57 -0800 (PST), Lfh <onetaste2...@yahoo.com>
> JimK- Hide quoted text -

yep - a bit of the Beavis&Butthead element: "heh-heh... he said,
'fucker' ... heh-heh-heh"

Joker

Nov 19, 2009, 9:20:21 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 1:59 pm, JimK <jkezw...@comcast.net> wrote:

> One of the other lines that always produced a big crowd reaction was
> "I spent doin' time for some other fucker's crime." I always thought
> it was odd that the crowd would cheer the fact that someone was
> falsely imprisoned, but maybe it was just because Jerry said "fucker".
>
> JimK

They're not cheering "the fact" of it, but more like the emotion of
that line in that story sung by that voice all backed by Jerry playing
those notes at that moment...I think.

3jane.

Nov 19, 2009, 11:32:10 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 7:23 pm, Jperdue4 <Jperd...@aol.com> wrote:

Great post, thanks. It's amazing how some stupid rock band can have
so much relevance in our lives. It's having a lot in mine right now.
We will get by.
NL: Saint of Circumstance, Hartford 1981 and it kicks fucking ass.

Jake C.

Nov 20, 2009, 12:34:12 AM11/20/09
On 2009-11-18 18:22:11 -0500, The old geezer <JY...@aol.com> said:

> ...these lines from "Candyman"; "If I had me a shotgun, I'd blow you
> straight to H**L"! ???
>
> It happened at *every* concert I attended when Jerry performed this
> particular tune.
>
> Never could really understand this, especially when this response came
> from the "Peace & Love" generation. It always upset me since violence
> only begats more violence.
>
> Perhaps my memory fails me & it only started to happen once the Touch
> Heads began "attending" the GD concerts.
>
> Thoughts....
> Comments...
>
> The old geezer
>
> ND: Old Thumper Extra Special Ale
> NP: A Piece Of Infinity - Steve Roach

Good God man... still griping about Touch Heads... just un-fucking-believable.

J.

Pepe Papon

Nov 20, 2009, 2:38:54 AM11/20/09
wrote:

>Now, I'm sure that this line probably got a bigger roar than "if I had
>a tomato, I would make a BLT" would have gotten, but still...

There's that line in Wharf Rat, "I'll get up and fry an egg..."
--
~ Seth Jackson

MySpace URL - http://www.myspace.com/sethjacksonsong
Songwriting and Music Business Info: http://www.sethjackson.net

Message has been deleted

marcman

Nov 20, 2009, 1:34:01 PM11/20/09
On Nov 20, 9:21 am, DG <nos...@nospam.nospammmm> wrote:
> Pepe Papon <hitmeis...@mindspring.dot.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:44:22 -0800 (PST), Andrew <amur...@hotmail.com>

> >wrote:
>
> >>Now, I'm sure that this line probably got a bigger roar than "if I had
> >>a tomato, I would make a BLT" would have gotten, but still...
>
> >There's that line in Wharf Rat, "I'll get up and fry an egg..."
>
> "Wake up to find out that you are disguised as a squirrel..."
> - Eyes...
>
> "I had a hard on, running from your window"
> -Bertha

"I don't know, maybe it was the acid." and " . . .it must have been
the doses."
- It Must Have Been the Roses

> --
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosepetal236/

Edwin Hurwitz

Nov 21, 2009, 3:53:28 PM11/21/09
In article <he3i4j$110$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Ken Fortenberry <kennethfo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> JimK wrote:
> > Jperdue4 wrote:
> >> For me, the BLT is THE sandwich. Ive even had them with fake bacon and
> >> they rock.
>
> Yeah, the BLT done right is a culinary glory. On the other hand
> if all you have is hot house tomatoes you're better off waiting
> until summer when you can get ripe tomatoes. And don't get me
> started on Miracle Whip. Whoever invented that crap ought to be
> horsewhipped right next to anyone who would ever befoul a BLT
> with it.

Well, my wife doesn't eat meat so, when we have BLTs, it's with a fake
bacon, but it's been expanded to become a BLOAT with the addition of
onion and avocado. We've also had BLORT, but for some reason, the R
escapes me at the moment.

> > Bacon may just be the perfect food....if only it didn't kill you to
> > eat too much of it.
>

> I've heard it said that if you could digest the shell the egg
> would be the perfect food.

According to the Tao of Health, Sex and Longevity, sushi is the perfect
food. I tend to agree.

Edwin
--
If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your
enemies.

marcman

Nov 21, 2009, 4:03:18 PM11/21/09
On Nov 21, 3:53 pm, Edwin Hurwitz <ed...@indra.com> wrote:
> In article <he3i4j$11...@news.eternal-september.org>,

>  Ken Fortenberry <kennethfortenbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > JimK wrote:
>
> > Yeah, the BLT done right is a culinary glory. On the other hand
> > if all you have is hot house tomatoes you're better off waiting
> > until summer when you can get ripe tomatoes. And don't get me
> > started on Miracle Whip. Whoever invented that crap ought to be
> > horsewhipped right next to anyone who would ever befoul a BLT
> > with it.
>
> Well, my wife doesn't eat meat so, when we have BLTs, it's with a fake
> bacon, but it's been expanded to become a BLOAT with the addition of
> onion and avocado. We've also had BLORT, but for some reason, the R
> escapes me at the moment.

I prefer my BLTs with onions too. And American cheese.

3jane.

Nov 21, 2009, 7:47:41 PM11/21/09
> > Well, my wife doesn't eat meat so, when we have BLTs, it's with a fake
> > bacon, but it's been expanded to become a BLOAT with the addition of
> > onion and avocado. We've also had BLORT, but for some reason, the R
> > escapes me at the moment.
>
> I prefer my BLTs with onions too. And American cheese.

Dude, you put American cheese on a BLT? Let me rephrase that, you put
American cheese on anything?
I'll try the onions on Monday-I'm good for 2 BLTs or so a week, it's
pretty much the only red meat I eat but it stands firmly in the way of
me and vegetarianism (along with sea food).

marcman

Nov 21, 2009, 7:55:59 PM11/21/09
On Nov 21, 7:47 pm, "3jane." <q3j...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Well, my wife doesn't eat meat so, when we have BLTs, it's with a fake
> > > bacon, but it's been expanded to become a BLOAT with the addition of
> > > onion and avocado. We've also had BLORT, but for some reason, the R
> > > escapes me at the moment.
>
> > I prefer my BLTs with onions too. And American cheese.
>
> Dude, you put American cheese on a BLT?

Absolutely! I also enjoy grilled cheese with bacon tomato and onions
(no lettuce though if the cheese is gonna be melted).

> Let me rephrase that, you put
> American cheese on anything?

Heh . . . yep. What are you suggesting, maybe a nice gouda?

> I'll try the onions on Monday-I'm good for 2 BLTs or so a week, it's
> pretty much the only red meat I eat but it stands firmly in the way of
> me and vegetarianism (along with sea food).

I hope that works out for ya! ;-)

3jane.

Nov 21, 2009, 8:22:37 PM11/21/09
> > Let me rephrase that, you put
> > American cheese on anything?
>
> Heh . . . yep. What are you suggesting, maybe a nice gouda?
>
> > I'll try the onions on Monday-I'm good for 2 BLTs or so a week, it's
> > pretty much the only red meat I eat but it stands firmly in the way of
> > me and vegetarianism (along with sea food).
>
> I hope that works out for ya! ;-)

You'll be the first to know, especially if it doesn't. But I'm going
into this show with high expectations.

Will in New Haven

Nov 21, 2009, 8:35:21 PM11/21/09
On Nov 21, 7:55 pm, marcman <marcmanstud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I prefer my BLTs with onions too. And American cheese.
>
> > Dude, you put American cheese on a BLT?
>
> Absolutely! I also enjoy grilled cheese with bacon tomato and onions
> (no lettuce though if the cheese is gonna be melted).
>
> > Let me rephrase that, you put
> > American cheese on anything?
>
> Heh . . . yep. What are you suggesting, maybe a nice gouda?

I would prefer Cheddar on anything. Not so much because American
Cheese is bad but because Cheddar is better.

--
Will in New Haven

LP

Nov 21, 2009, 9:27:39 PM11/21/09
On Nov 18, 3:22 pm, The old geezer <J...@aol.com> wrote:
> ...these lines from "Candyman"; "If I had me a shotgun, I'd blow you
> straight to H**L"! ???
>
> It happened at *every* concert I attended when Jerry performed this
> particular tune.
>
> Never could really understand this, especially when this response came
> from the "Peace & Love" generation.  It always upset me since violence
> only begats more violence.

Because most Dead fans are gun-crazed killers.

LP

JimK

Nov 22, 2009, 12:03:30 AM11/22/09
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 13:03:18 -0800 (PST), marcman
<marcman...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Nov 21, 3:53�pm, Edwin Hurwitz <ed...@indra.com> wrote:
>> In article <he3i4j$11...@news.eternal-september.org>,
>> �Ken Fortenberry <kennethfortenbe...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Yeah, the BLT done right is a culinary glory. On the other hand
>> > if all you have is hot house tomatoes you're better off waiting
>> > until summer when you can get ripe tomatoes. And don't get me
>> > started on Miracle Whip. Whoever invented that crap ought to be
>> > horsewhipped right next to anyone who would ever befoul a BLT
>> > with it.
>>
>> Well, my wife doesn't eat meat so, when we have BLTs, it's with a fake
>> bacon, but it's been expanded to become a BLOAT with the addition of
>> onion and avocado. We've also had BLORT, but for some reason, the R
>> escapes me at the moment.
>>

>I prefer my BLTs with onions too. And American cheese.

Now that's just so wrong.

JimK

marcman

Nov 22, 2009, 12:13:15 AM11/22/09

Lol, that should be the worst thing I ever do in my life.

3jane.

Nov 22, 2009, 12:23:01 AM11/22/09
> Lol, that should be the worst thing I ever do in my life.-

I'd say tied with that triple murder in Guadalajara back in the day
but yeah, it is close.

volkfolk

Nov 22, 2009, 10:10:26 AM11/22/09
On Nov 18, 10:19 pm, Jperdue4 <Jperd...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:51:08 -0800 (PST), "3jane." <q3j...@yahoo.com>

> wrote:
>
> >> ...these lines from "Candyman"; "If I had me a shotgun, I'd blow you
>
> >> Part of it was the fact that it was at the point in the song where the
> >> band wanted you to cheer. It was generally the musical and lyrical

> >> apex of the song. Phil would build to a big peak and Garcia would roar
> >> out the lyrics. It didn't necessarily matter what the line would have
> >> been there, it would have gotten a roar.
>
> >> Now, I'm sure that this line probably got a bigger roar than "if I had
> >> a tomato, I would make a BLT" would have gotten, but still...
>
> >That sure would have gotten a roar out of me.

> For me, the BLT is THE sandwich. Ive even had them with fake bacon and
> they rock.
> jonp

IMO, the greatest innovation of recent times is the package of
precooked bacon. Our local supermarket chain (Market Basket for you
Boston area folks) store brand pre packaged bacon is the best I've
found (better than Oscar Meyer IMO) You get 15 slices of bacon for
$2.29.
BLT's, Bacon Cheeseburgers, Bacon, Egg and Cheese sandwiches anytime
with no nasty frying pan to clean out afterwards.

How does life get any better?

Scot

volkfolk

Nov 22, 2009, 10:12:21 AM11/22/09
On Nov 21, 3:53 pm, Edwin Hurwitz <ed...@indra.com> wrote:
> In article <he3i4j$11...@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  Ken Fortenberry <kennethfortenbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > JimK wrote:
>
> > Yeah, the BLT done right is a culinary glory. On the other hand
> > if all you have is hot house tomatoes you're better off waiting
> > until summer when you can get ripe tomatoes. And don't get me
> > started on Miracle Whip. Whoever invented that crap ought to be
> > horsewhipped right next to anyone who would ever befoul a BLT
> > with it.
>
> Well, my wife doesn't eat meat so, when we have BLTs, it's with a fake
> bacon, but it's been expanded to become a BLOAT with the addition of
> onion and avocado. We've also had BLORT, but for some reason, the R
> escapes me at the moment.
>

> > > Bacon may just be the perfect food....if only it didn't kill you to
> > > eat too much of it.
>
> > I've heard it said that if you could digest the shell the egg
> > would be the perfect food.
>
> According to the Tao of Health, Sex and Longevity, sushi is the perfect
> food. I tend to agree.

YRYK

I could do lines of wasabi, and mainline soy sauce.

Scot

Sherry in Vermont

Nov 23, 2009, 12:20:04 PM11/23/09
On 2009-11-18 23:44:39 -0500, JimK <jkez...@comcast.net> said:

> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:19:18 -0800, Jperdue4 <Jper...@aol.com> wrote:

>>> That sure would have gotten a roar out of me.
>>

>> For me, the BLT is THE sandwich. Ive even had them with fake bacon and
>> they rock.

>> jonp

> Bacon may just be the perfect food....if only it didn't kill you to
> eat too much of it.
>

> JimK

I've always wondered why people eat fake bacon? I mean, REAL bacon is
awesome, so why eat stuff that pretends to be bacon? Same with other
meat items sold for vegetarians. If you are vegetarian, you don't eat
meat for some reason or other - so why eat meat substitutes at all? If
you like the taste of the meat, why do you prefer to eat fake versions
that can't compare? I just don't get it.

Sherry in Vermont

Sherry in Vermont

Nov 23, 2009, 12:20:37 PM11/23/09
On 2009-11-19 00:21:39 -0500, Joker <joke...@gmail.com> said:

>>> For me, the BLT is THE sandwich. Ive even had them with fake bacon and
>>> they rock.
>>> jonp
>>
>> Bacon may just be the perfect food....if only it didn't kill you to
>> eat too much of it.
>>
>> JimK
>

> I ain't dead yet...

Even water will kill you if you drink too much of it. It's all about
moderation, dude! :)

Sherry in Vermont

marcman

Nov 23, 2009, 12:29:20 PM11/23/09
On Nov 23, 12:20 pm, Sherry in Vermont <sherr...@together.net> wrote:
> On 2009-11-18 23:44:39 -0500, JimK <jkezw...@comcast.net> said:

> > On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:19:18 -0800, Jperdue4 <Jperd...@aol.com> wrote:

> >> For me, the BLT is THE sandwich. Ive even had them with fake bacon and
> >> they rock.
> >> jonp
>
> > Bacon may just be the perfect food....if only it didn't kill you to
> > eat too much of it.
>
> > JimK
>
> I've always wondered why people eat fake bacon?

One reason is that bacon, in general, is not helathy to be eatin'.

> I mean, REAL bacon is
> awesome, so why eat stuff that pretends to be bacon? Same with other
> meat items sold for vegetarians. If you are vegetarian, you don't eat
> meat for some reason or other - so why eat meat substitutes at all?

Because no pigs were killed during the production of the fake bacon.
And fake bacon made from not meat products is healthier.

> If
> you like the taste of the meat, why do you prefer to eat fake versions
> that can't compare? I just don't get it.

Dead animals and cholesterol.

That said, I eat meat, and real bacon.

> Sherry in Vermont

Sherry in Vermont

Nov 23, 2009, 12:28:09 PM11/23/09
On 2009-11-19 13:12:57 -0500, Lfh <onetas...@yahoo.com> said:

> On Nov 18, 3:44 pm, Andrew <amur...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Part of it was the fact that it was at the point in the song where the
>> band wanted you to cheer.
>

> Link?

>> It was generally the musical and lyrical
>> apex of the song. Phil would build to a big peak and Garcia would roar
>> out the lyrics. It didn't necessarily matter what the line would have
>> been there, it would have gotten a roar.
>

> Jerry very often didn't roar out the lyrics at all, and folks always
> cheered like crazy, anyway, so this doesn't sound very convincing.
>
> It seems like the authority figure thing is closer to the truth,
> though it's not clear at all who this Mr. Benson guy is. That "I see
> you're doing well" line is ambiguous, so there's a lot of filling in
> the blanks going on, but it could be kind of the opposite sentiment of
> that other sure-fire cheer inducer, "why don't you arrest me."
>

>> Now, I'm sure that this line probably got a bigger roar than "if I had
>> a tomato, I would make a BLT" would have gotten, but still...
>

> You mayo may not be right, but lettuce move on to more meatier
> topics.
>
> Fred

I think Mr. Benson is some relative of mine. <g> Mom's maiden name,
and her dad's side of the family are all Bensons. More than a few of
them are pretty much pond scum, so I always felt a special kinship to
the song, and the line about blowing him straight to hell pretty apt.

Sherry in Vermont

Edwin Hurwitz

Nov 23, 2009, 3:19:22 PM11/23/09
In article <2009112312200416807-sherry13@togethernet>,

Some people can't digest it. I've been a vego-baconian myself, but my
genetic inheritance dictates that I avoid fatty animal products like the
plaque, oops, plague.

Kelly Humphries

Nov 25, 2009, 12:50:33 AM11/25/09
Jperdue4 <Jper...@aol.com> wrote:

> My step father is "some other fucker" in my mind.
> Im ok now but he really did a number on me as a kid. Mentally that is,
> no sexual stuff but quite physical.
> That song has really spoke to me over the years that i was dealing
> with all that stuff.
> "but ill get back on my feet someday, live the life i should"...i have
> a good family now with none of the garbage i grew up with..
> "Ill get up and fly away" that part was me leaving home and moving
> alone to the west coast years ago.
> jeeez........sorry about that digression!

No need to be sorry for that. You know that some of us here have been
through the same thing, Everything I know about how to *not* be a
stepfather, I learned from my stepfather. He died of cirrhosis in 1977,
IIRC at Letterman General Hospital in SF. I knew all along that life was
better than what he brought, and after he was gone we were able to move
away and I found out I was right.

Oddly enough, while he was around I lived in Marin County from '72 to '78,
and after he was gone it was several years until I finally hit paydirt by
finding the Grateful Dead from a thousand miles away.

Kids are pretty strong after all. Hug them if you can ... and if they'll
let you. Sometimes (but not always, of course!), they know more than you
can ever learn.

Garry the Island Boy

Nov 25, 2009, 10:22:51 AM11/25/09
On Nov 18, 7:22 pm, The old geezer <J...@aol.com> wrote:
> ...these lines from "Candyman"; "If I had me a shotgun, I'd blow you
> straight to H**L"! ???
>
> It happened at *every* concert I attended when Jerry performed this
> particular tune.
>
> Never could really understand this, especially when this response came
> from the "Peace & Love" generation.  It always upset me since violence
> only begats more violence.
>
> Perhaps my memory fails me & it only started to happen once the Touch
> Heads began "attending" the GD concerts.
>
> Thoughts....
> Comments...
>
> The old geezer
>
> ND: Old Thumper Extra Special Ale
> NP: A Piece Of Infinity - Steve Roach

Other one was "I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train". . . I
could never figure it out. I used to ask the crowd while leaving a
show, "Who wants to be a headlight on a northbound train"? Not a peep,
except for that one guy outside the WARFIELD . . .

G.

Garry the Island Boy

Nov 25, 2009, 10:25:52 AM11/25/09
On Nov 19, 6:52 pm, gratefuljoe <grateful...@aol.com> wrote:
> >> One of the other lines that always produced a big crowd reaction was
> > "I spent doin' time for some other fucker's crime." I always thought
> > it was odd that the crowd would cheer the fact that someone was
> > falsely imprisoned, but maybe it was just because Jerry said "fucker".
>
> > JimK- Hide quoted text -

> For Bertha the Why Don't You Arrest Me line caused great commotion
> after Jerry's 1985 bust.

Ditto, I met the guy who busted Jerry and it is a funny story. . .

G.

Garry the Island Boy

Nov 25, 2009, 10:27:21 AM11/25/09
On Nov 21, 4:53 pm, Edwin Hurwitz <ed...@indra.com> wrote:
> In article <he3i4j$11...@news.eternal-september.org>,

Mercury makes you live longer???

G.

Garry the Island Boy

Nov 25, 2009, 10:28:23 AM11/25/09
On Nov 23, 1:20 pm, Sherry in Vermont <sherr...@together.net> wrote:
> On 2009-11-18 23:44:39 -0500, JimK <jkezw...@comcast.net> said:

Ditto

G.

Brad Greer

Nov 25, 2009, 11:29:53 AM11/25/09

I think Sherry's point is more along the lines of fake bacon (and
other fake meat products like tofu turkeys) are like non-alcoholic
beer. You're pretending to indulge in something you say you don't
indulge in, either animal-based foods or adult beverages. If you're a
vegetarian than own up to it and don't eat fake meat products.

Edwin Hurwitz

Nov 25, 2009, 12:07:13 PM11/25/09

9fingers

Nov 25, 2009, 12:13:01 PM11/25/09
On Nov 18, 6:51 pm, "3jane." <q3j...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > ...these lines from "Candyman"; "If I had me a shotgun, I'd blow you
> > > straight to H**L"! ???
>
> > Part of it was the fact that it was at the point in the song where the
> > band wanted you to cheer. It was generally the musical and lyrical
> > apex of the song. Phil would build to a big peak and Garcia would roar
> > out the lyrics. It didn't necessarily matter what the line would have
> > been there, it would have gotten a roar.
>
> > Now, I'm sure that this line probably got a bigger roar than "if I had
> > a tomato, I would make a BLT" would have gotten, but still...
>
> That sure would have gotten a roar out of me.

My college girlfriend always disliked that line in Candyman, but she
liked the song. She always sang it using "popgun" and "throw you in
the well" to lessen the violence.

ML

Nov 25, 2009, 12:44:18 PM11/25/09
On Nov 18, 5:44 pm, Andrew <amur...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 18, 3:22 pm, The old geezer <J...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > ...these lines from "Candyman"; "If I had me a shotgun, I'd blow you
> > straight to H**L"! ???
>
> Part of it was the fact that it was at the point in the song where the
> band wanted you to cheer. It was generally the musical and lyrical
> apex of the song. Phil would build to a big peak and Garcia would roar
> out the lyrics. It didn't necessarily matter what the line would have
> been there, it would have gotten a roar.
>
> Now, I'm sure that this line probably got a bigger roar than "if I had
> a tomato, I would make a BLT" would have gotten, but still...

If I had a tomato, I'd just make a tomato sandwich.
Yum. You made me laugh out loud, Andrew!
I think you pegged it, too, in answering The
Old Geezer's question.

marcman

Nov 25, 2009, 12:48:30 PM11/25/09
On Nov 25, 12:44 pm, ML <mary.egret1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 18, 5:44 pm, Andrew <amur...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 18, 3:22 pm, The old geezer <J...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > > ...these lines from "Candyman"; "If I had me a shotgun, I'd blow you
> > > straight to H**L"! ???
>
> > Part of it was the fact that it was at the point in the song where the
> > band wanted you to cheer. It was generally the musical and lyrical
> > apex of the song. Phil would build to a big peak and Garcia would roar
> > out the lyrics. It didn't necessarily matter what the line would have
> > been there, it would have gotten a roar.
>
> > Now, I'm sure that this line probably got a bigger roar than "if I had
> > a tomato, I would make a BLT" would have gotten, but still...
>
> If I had a tomato, I'd just make a tomato sandwich.
> Yum.

Yum is right! I can eat sliced tomato and sliced sweet white onions
all by themselves on a plate all day long!

ML

Nov 25, 2009, 12:57:08 PM11/25/09
On Nov 19, 6:23 pm, Jperdue4 <Jperd...@aol.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:59:10 -0500, JimK <jkezw...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >One of the other lines that always produced a big crowd reaction was
> >"I spent doin' time for some other fucker's crime." I always thought
> >it was odd that the crowd would cheer the fact that someone was
> >falsely imprisoned, but maybe it was just because Jerry said "fucker".
>
> >JimK
>
> the story in my head when i hear that line is that the singer has
> spent half his life as an alcoholic or drug addict or just mentally
> damaged homeless "type" person as the result of some other "fucker"
> "abusing" them somehow and cant seem to get over it. ("over it" is the
> wrong term but you know what i mean?)
> Half of my life,
> i spent doin time
> for some other fuckers crime,
> the other half found me stumblin around drunk on burgundy wine.

> My step father is "some other fucker" in my mind.
> Im ok now but he really did a number on me as a kid. Mentally that is,
> no sexual stuff but quite physical.
> That song has really spoke to me over the years that i was dealing
> with all that stuff.
> "but ill get back on my feet someday, live the life i should"...i have
> a good family now with none of the garbage i grew up with..
> "Ill get up and fly away" that part was me leaving home and moving
> alone to the west coast years ago.
> jeeez........sorry about that digression!
>
> JonP

I think that is why so many love that line.
Hits home, we can relate.
Hey, I got beat up as a kid, too!
The Cleavers we weren't.

Lfh

Nov 25, 2009, 2:18:50 PM11/25/09
On Nov 25, 7:22 am, Garry the Island Boy <garry...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 18, 7:22 pm, The old geezer <J...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> > ...these lines from "Candyman"; "If I had me a shotgun, I'd blow you
> > straight to H**L"! ???
>
> > It happened at *every* concert I attended when Jerry performed this
> > particular tune.
>
> > Never could really understand this, especially when this response came
> > from the "Peace & Love" generation. It always upset me since violence
> > only begats more violence.
>
> > Perhaps my memory fails me & it only started to happen once the Touch
> > Heads began "attending" the GD concerts.
>
> > Thoughts....
> > Comments...
>
> > The old geezer
>
> > ND: Old Thumper Extra Special Ale
> > NP: A Piece Of Infinity - Steve Roach
>
> Other one was "I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train". . . I
> could never figure it out.

It's a yearning for moving on to a better situation.

Fred

Edwin Hurwitz

Nov 25, 2009, 3:38:04 PM11/25/09
In article <5omqg5pcfpk0vnul7...@4ax.com>,
Brad Greer <jjh1...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Why? If you are just going to eat in the most utilitarian fashion
possible, why eat anything at all that tastes good? Do you want to
punish the taste buds of those of us who happened to get a genetic
inheritance that makes bacon dangerous for some perceived moral issue? I
love bacon, but it's really stupid for me to eat it. Therefore, I enjoy
eating fake bacon. I have no moral issues with killing animals for food,
it's just not wise for me to eat some of them. I will eat leaner animal
foods and I certainly intend to enjoy some turkey tomorrow.

Brad Greer

Nov 25, 2009, 5:02:37 PM11/25/09
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:38:04 -0700, Edwin Hurwitz <ed...@indra.com>
wrote:

That's a different issue than people who say they're giving up eating
meat because they think it's wrong but eat fake bacon and the like.

I've never had fake bacon, so I have no idea how it tastes compared to
real bacon. But if it works for you, that's fine. But if you have
some moral issue with killing animals for food (and I certainly don't)
then don't eat fake animals.

marcman

Nov 25, 2009, 5:22:39 PM11/25/09
On Nov 25, 5:02 pm, Brad Greer <jjh110...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:38:04 -0700, Edwin Hurwitz <ed...@indra.com>
> wrote:
>

> >In article <5omqg5pcfpk0vnul7i5n56lokfj01hq...@4ax.com>,

Nor do I.

> then don't eat fake animals.

That doesn't make any sense, the whole purpose of eating "fake"
animals is so that real animals don't have to be killed. (In addition
to the health differences)

Brad Greer

Nov 25, 2009, 5:42:12 PM11/25/09

If you're going to give up eating animals have the conviction to give
up eating "fake" animals. It's like saying 'fur is wrong, but I'm
going to wear fake fur so I look like someone who is okay with fur."

marcman

Nov 25, 2009, 5:55:24 PM11/25/09
On Nov 25, 5:42 pm, Brad Greer <jjh110...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:22:39 -0800 (PST), marcman
>
> <marcmanstud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Nov 25, 5:02 pm, Brad Greer <jjh110...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> then don't eat fake animals.
>
> >That doesn't make any sense, the whole purpose of eating "fake"
> >animals is so that real animals don't have to be killed. (In addition
> >to the health differences)
>
> If you're going to give up eating animals have the conviction to give
> up eating "fake" animals.

Dude, there's no such thing as "fake animals!" Is tofu a fake animal?
You must be fuckin' with me, one, 'cause it's easy to do, and two,
because I'm still not seeing where you're coming from with this.

>  It's like saying 'fur is wrong, but I'm
> going to wear fake fur so I look like someone who is okay with fur."

Well, there's a difference between somebody that just thinks its wrong
to skin animals for their fur, and an activist. I'm the former.

Brad Greer

Nov 25, 2009, 8:05:18 PM11/25/09
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:55:24 -0800 (PST), marcman
<marcman...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Nov 25, 5:42�pm, Brad Greer <jjh110...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:22:39 -0800 (PST), marcman
>>
>> <marcmanstud...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >That doesn't make any sense, the whole purpose of eating "fake"
>> >animals is so that real animals don't have to be killed. (In addition
>> >to the health differences)
>>
>> If you're going to give up eating animals have the conviction to give
>> up eating "fake" animals.
>
>Dude, there's no such thing as "fake animals!" Is tofu a fake animal?
>You must be fuckin' with me, one, 'cause it's easy to do, and two,
>because I'm still not seeing where you're coming from with this.

Tofu turkey (referenced earlier in the thread). If you're opposed to
killing animals for food why would you pretend to eat an animal?

Turkey bacon and the like is something else. You're not claiming to
be morally against eating animals, you're just eating different
animals.

>> �It's like saying 'fur is wrong, but I'm

>> going to wear fake fur so I look like someone who is okay with fur."
>
>Well, there's a difference between somebody that just thinks its wrong
>to skin animals for their fur, and an activist. I'm the former.

As am I - but I wouldn't wear fake fur.

marcman

Nov 25, 2009, 8:08:45 PM11/25/09
On Nov 25, 8:05 pm, Brad Greer <jjh110...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:55:24 -0800 (PST), marcman
>

> <marcmanstud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Nov 25, 5:42 pm, Brad Greer <jjh110...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> If you're going to give up eating animals have the conviction to give
> >> up eating "fake" animals.
>
> >Dude, there's no such thing as "fake animals!" Is tofu a fake animal?
> >You must be fuckin' with me, one, 'cause it's easy to do, and two,
> >because I'm still not seeing where you're coming from with this.
>
> Tofu turkey (referenced earlier in the thread).  If you're opposed to
> killing animals for food why would you pretend to eat an animal?
>
> Turkey bacon and the like is something else.  You're not claiming to
> be morally against eating animals, you're just eating different
> animals.
>
> >>  It's like saying 'fur is wrong, but I'm
> >> going to wear fake fur so I look like someone who is okay with fur."
>
> >Well, there's a difference between somebody that just thinks its wrong
> >to skin animals for their fur, and an activist. I'm the former.
>
> As am I - but I wouldn't wear fake fur.

If you were c-c-cold enough you might . . . jess sayin' . . . ;)

Happy Thanksgiving to ya!

Edwin Hurwitz

Nov 26, 2009, 12:52:01 AM11/26/09
In article <tjcrg5ddusle5g3vm...@4ax.com>,
Brad Greer <jjh1...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I have no conviction to give up eating animals, I have a conviction to
give up eating things that will give me a heart attack. Bacon will, fake
bacon won't. I fail to see why you have a problem with that. I have as
much patience with people who say that it's absolutely wrong to eat
animals as I have with people who believe that the bible is the word of
God, or that God exists, but that has very little to do with whether or
not people like a certain flavor and would like to get it without the
life threatening issues of the original source of that flavor. I suppose
it's sort of like people wanting to see DSO because the real deal is
gone. While the real band was still available, there was no real reason
to see a band like DSO, so for people like me, for whom bacon is an
impossible memory from the past, fake bacon is great.

So, how do you feel about soy milk? :-)

Garry the Island Boy

Nov 26, 2009, 9:13:01 AM11/26/09
On Nov 26, 1:52 am, Edwin Hurwitz <ed...@indra.com> wrote:
> In article <tjcrg5ddusle5g3vmv6qtcdrinutru5...@4ax.com>,

Soy milk is fine but those cartons are an environmental disaster!
Can't burn them, plastic, can't recycle them, plastic, can't compost
them, plastic. So we are 'saving the planet" by poisoning it. No
thanks!

G.

JimK

Nov 26, 2009, 10:01:48 AM11/26/09

Rothschild heir to cross Pacific on boat made of plastic bottles
By Anouk Lorie, for CNN
November 19, 2009

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/19/plastiki.rothschild.boat/

London, England (CNN) -- Heir and maverick adventurer David Mayer de
Rothschild is planning a voyage across the Pacific Ocean on a boat
made of reclaimed plastic bottles.

The 31-year-old scion of the famous British banking family plans to
set sail from San Francisco early next year on the twenty meter-long
catamaran, "Plastiki," which relies solely on trashed soda bottles for
buoyancy.

The explorer, one of only several dozen people to have traversed both
the Arctic and Antarctic ice caps, hopes his unusual vessel will raise
awareness about the problem of waste materials -- particularly
plastic.

"The plastic plague" is something that should concern us all,
according to Rothschild, who first came up with the idea for
"Plastiki" three years ago.

He hopes that if he makes it across the Pacific to Sydney, Australia
on his bottle-boat it will make people "rethink the way in which we
dispose of waste material."

Rothschild, who founded eco-awareness organization Adventure Ecology
in 2005, says the problem of plastic waste polluting the world's
oceans is enormous.

"I was astounded to hear that that there are places in our oceans
where the ratio between plastic and plankton is six to one," he told
CNN.

"This plastic is ingested by micro-organisms and works itself up the
food chain, with a tragic health impact, such as the dying of about 1
million marine birds every year."

"Whereas people can say climate change still has some gray, uncertain
areas, the impact of our waste is undeniable. It has a big human
fingerprint on it.

"Fifteen billion plastic bags are used every year in the U.S., most of
them chucked away within 12 minutes."

Rothschild also later discovered that 90 percent of all waste is
plastic and that 60 million plastic bottles are being thrown away
every day in the United States alone.

"I thought, why not make a boat out of all this waste," said
Rothschild.

To turn his unorthodox idea into reality, the environmentalist turned
to someone who had never been involved in the build of a boat before
-- concept architect Michael Pawlyn.

"I wanted somebody outside the traditional boat world, with no
preconceived ideas or limitations," he said.

The inspiration for "Plastiki" came from "Kon-Tiki," a raft composed
of balsa tree trunks used by Norwegian explorer Thor Heyerdahl to
cross the Pacific Ocean in 1947.

As well as recycling plastic bottles for buoyancy, "Plastiki" utilizes
a special kind of self-reinforcing plastic called srPET, which is free
from secondary contaminants like glass or carbon, making it infinitely
recyclable.

The boat's other green credentials include solar power, wind turbines,
and even a pair of bicycles that can be pedalled by the crew, to avoid
running out of energy.

It will also include a urine-to-water recovery system and a toilet
utilizing evaporative technology for weight reduction.

The rotating six-man crew -- including scientists, writers and artists
-- will eat a diet of fresh fish and fruits and vegetables plucked off
a vertical garden on the boat's mast.

"Plastiki" is currently being built in San Francisco and will be put
in the water at the beginning of next month.

Rothschild will spend two to three months on the bottle-boat, which
will be skippered by 30-year-old British sailor Jo Royle.

Royal told CNN she is completely confident in Plastiki's ability to
make it across the Pacific. "We cannot look at other boats for
reference, but we wouldn't leave unless we're completely confident
we'll make it."

"Even if 'Plastiki' gets damaged or does not make it, the message will
still be there," Rothschild told CNN. "The idea is to put no kind of
pollution back into the atmosphere, or into our oceans.

"In the case of Plastiki, everything on the boat will be composted and
recycled. Even parts of the vessel may be up-cycled, certainly the
bottles."

Plastiki is expected to stop in Hawaii, Tuvalu and Fiji on its way to
Sydney, a trip estimated to take more than 100 days, or approximately
16,000 km (10,000 miles.)

"Sailing from point A to point B is very cool and raises awareness,
but we want to showcase real-world solutions and use the material we
used on the boat, such as srPET, for other applications," the
31-year-old explained.

"The ultimate goal of the Plastiki voyage is not just to encourage
people to embrace clean, renewable energy but also to see consumer
waste as a potential resource. That's what this is all about."

"We need to better understand plastic and realize that while the
problem is big, the solutions are all there. They are just not being
applied."

ML

Nov 26, 2009, 11:22:51 AM11/26/09
On Nov 26, 8:13 am, Garry the Island Boy <garry...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 1:52 am, Edwin Hurwitz <ed...@indra.com> wrote:
>
> > So, how do you feel about soy milk? :-)
>
> > Edwin

> Soy milk is fine but those cartons are an environmental disaster!
> Can't burn them, plastic, can't recycle them, plastic, can't compost
> them, plastic. So we are 'saving the planet" by poisoning it. No
> thanks!
>
> G.

You make a boat out of them!
Or wash them and use them to store water in,
or homemade soup stocks, sauces, and freeze.
Sell them on E-Bay?
Make a sculpture or other work of art.
Give them as gifts to all your friends!

Sherry in Vermont

Nov 27, 2009, 10:56:30 AM11/27/09

Exactly my point! :) Thanks.

Sherry in Vermont

Sherry in Vermont

Nov 27, 2009, 11:01:20 AM11/27/09

Okay - health reason, you like the taste but can't eat the real stuff.
That makes sense.

To me what doesn't make sense is folks who go on and ON about being
vegetarian, eating meat is bad because you have to kill things... and
yet, they eat products designed to "be" meat. If you are against eating
dead things, great, don't eat them. Just makes no sense to me that
folks would eat food make to look/taste like meat when they are veg for
humanitarian reasons. It just sticks sideways for me - doesn't make
sense to me. I was veg at one time... but it was not for me. I LIKE
meat and how it tastes.

Sherry in Vermont

Sherry in Vermont

Nov 27, 2009, 11:09:06 AM11/27/09
On 2009-11-26 00:52:01 -0500, Edwin Hurwitz <ed...@indra.com> said:

> So, how do you feel about soy milk? :-)

That drinking it in large amounts can cause early puberty and Graves
disease (thyroid disorders). Americans drink/eat far too much processed
soy, many claiming it as healthier than milk and meat.

Sherry in Vermont

marcman

Nov 27, 2009, 11:29:55 AM11/27/09
On Nov 27, 11:01 am, Sherry in Vermont <sherr...@together.net> wrote:
> On 2009-11-25 15:38:04 -0500, Edwin Hurwitz <ed...@indra.com> said:
>

> > In article <5omqg5pcfpk0vnul7i5n56lokfj01hq...@4ax.com>,

The non-meat products that are designed to be like meat are not made
from dead animals. The logic is that no animals were killed in
producing this (fake) hamburger, With all due respect - and I mean
that - what doesn't make sense to you?

> If you are against eating
> dead things, great, don't eat them.

If you eat a tofu burger instead of a beef hamburger, you are not
eating dead things.

> Just makes no sense to me that
> folks would eat food make to look/taste like meat when they are veg for
> humanitarian reasons.

When one eats food that doesn't come from an animal, that is made to
loook/taste like meat from an animal, no animals were killed in making
the tofu burger. Very humanitarian, no dead animals.

> It just sticks sideways for me - doesn't make
> sense to me. I was veg at one time... but it was not for me. I LIKE
> meat and how it tastes.

This last part has nothing to do with whether or not "fake" meat
products not made from animals somehow conteracts the humanitarian
slant on not eating animals. It simply does not. If no animals are
killed, then the humanitarian argument is supported. What doesn't
make sense about that?

> Sherry in Vermont- Hide quoted text -

Sherry in Vermont

Nov 27, 2009, 12:02:30 PM11/27/09

Why someone who is against eating animals would eat food designed to
LOOK and TASTE like the animal.

>> If you are against eating
>> dead things, great, don't eat them.
>
> If you eat a tofu burger instead of a beef hamburger, you are not
> eating dead things.

Well - actually - the tofu (soy) is not living anymore, either.

>> Just makes no sense to me that
>> folks would eat food make to look/taste like meat when they are veg for
>> humanitarian reasons.
>
> When one eats food that doesn't come from an animal, that is made to
> loook/taste like meat from an animal, no animals were killed in making
> the tofu burger. Very humanitarian, no dead animals.

But if the issue is "dead animals" WHY make it to LOOK and TASTE like
dead animals???

>> It just sticks sideways for me - doesn't make
>> sense to me. I was veg at one time... but it was not for me. I LIKE
>> meat and how it tastes.
>>

> This last part has nothing to do with whether or not "fake" meat
> products not made from animals somehow conteracts the humanitarian
> slant on not eating animals. It simply does not. If no animals are
> killed, then the humanitarian argument is supported. What doesn't
> make sense about that?

If the argument is not about eating dead animals, I still don't get why
you would deliberately eat things made to TASTE and LOOK like the dead
animals you are against eating. <shrug>

Then again, most vegetarians I know wear leather, and that doesn't seem
to be a problem, either.

Sherry in Vermont

JimK

Nov 27, 2009, 12:17:10 PM11/27/09
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:02:30 -0500, Sherry in Vermont
<sher...@together.net> wrote:

>On 2009-11-27 11:29:55 -0500, marcman <marcman...@gmail.com> said:
>
>> On Nov 27, 11:01�am, Sherry in Vermont <sherr...@together.net> wrote:

>> The non-meat products that are designed to be like meat are not made
>> from dead animals. The logic is that no animals were killed in
>> producing this (fake) hamburger, With all due respect - and I mean
>> that - what doesn't make sense to you?
>
>Why someone who is against eating animals would eat food designed to
>LOOK and TASTE like the animal.

I suppose there are a lot of people who like the taste of animals but
won't eat them because they're against killing animals. For those
people, eating something that tastes like an animal but isn't one is
the perfect solution. Why do you think otherwise?

JimK

Sherry in Vermont

Nov 27, 2009, 12:27:33 PM11/27/09

Just seems bizarre to me - if you are against killing animals, why
would you want to eat something that tastes like one? If I was against
killing animals, I would not eat anything that tasted or looked like a
dead animal. I know quite a few folks adamantly against eating meat,
and I find it bizarre that they'd go out of their way to eat things
that both LOOK and TASTE like the meat they claim to be against eating.

I guess there is no explanation, then. I can understand eating
substitutes because you can't have the real thing - along the lines of
candy and sweets for diabetics. But to disdain meat because it's dead
only to eat something designed to taste and look like the very thing
you disdain... well, that I do not understand.

Sherry in Vermont

JimK

Nov 27, 2009, 1:12:22 PM11/27/09
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:27:33 -0500, Sherry in Vermont
<sher...@together.net> wrote:

Sorry, but I just don't see the connection between the killing and the
tasting. I'm pretty sure that most vegetarians weren't born that way.
Most of them probably grew up eating meat and enjoying the taste. At
some point, they decided that killing animals for food was ethically
wrong so, despite liking the taste, they made a decision to stop
eating meat. What's so bad about eating something else that tastes
like the meat they used to enjoy but without having to kill an animal?
Look at it this way; if you could eat something that was
indistinguishible from meat with respect to taste, texture, etc., but
didn't require the killing of an animal, why on earth wouldn't you eat
it? Where's the downside?

JimK

marcman

Nov 27, 2009, 2:01:08 PM11/27/09
On Nov 27, 12:02 pm, Sherry in Vermont <sherr...@together.net> wrote:

The resulting food from the kill doesn't look like the animal in the
case of say a hamburger. And I'd have to argue that those that don;t
eat meat because they disagree with killing animals for food, don;t
necessarily have a problem with the taste of the food but rather the
idea that an animal died in order to provide the food. I lived with a
vegetarian for 3 years, she would eat "nothing with a face" and I'm
forming my opinions on a combination of my own beliefs and what I've
heard from her.

> >> If you are against eating
> >> dead things, great, don't eat them.
>
> > If you eat a tofu burger instead of a beef hamburger, you are not
> > eating dead things.
>
> Well - actually - the tofu (soy) is not living anymore, either.

Sorry, yes of course, veggies, etc. are "alive" I meant to say dead
animals not dead things.

> >> Just makes no sense to me that
> >> folks would eat food make to look/taste like meat when they are veg for
> >> humanitarian reasons.
>
> > When one eats food that doesn't come from an animal, that is made to
> > loook/taste like meat from an animal, no animals were killed in making
> > the tofu burger. Very humanitarian, no dead animals.
>
> But if the issue is "dead animals" WHY make it to LOOK and TASTE like
> dead animals???

Because dead animals taste good? Aparantly, there are non-animal food
products that taste like animal food products, or at least some peoole
think they taste close enough, I'm not one of them however. So if a
person wants to enjoy the tatste of dead animals, without actually
having to have any animals killed to provide the food, as long as the
animal food alternative tastes close enough to the real thing to that
particular person, then I could easily see why they would eat, say a
tofu burger.

> >> It just sticks sideways for me - doesn't make
> >> sense to me. I was veg at one time... but it was not for me. I LIKE
> >> meat and how it tastes.
>
> > This last part has nothing to do with whether or not "fake" meat
> > products not made from animals somehow conteracts the humanitarian
> > slant on not eating animals. It simply does not. If no animals are
> > killed, then the humanitarian argument is supported.  What doesn't
> > make sense about that?
>
> If the argument is not about eating dead animals, I still don't get why
> you would deliberately eat things made to TASTE and LOOK like the dead
> animals you are against eating. <shrug>

Because dead animals taste good, yet I don't want to kill animals for
food. (I said "I" but we're not talking about me specifically here,
I'm a carnivore.)

> Then again, most vegetarians I know wear leather, and that doesn't seem
> to be a problem, either.

The vegetarian I lived with would *never* wear leather. :)

Me? My leather jacket is my favorite article of clothing.

> Sherry in Vermont

It is loading more messages.