Fare You Well Delaney Bramlett

Olompali4

Dec 27, 2008, 9:16:21 PM12/27/08
RIP
NFA!

LOS ANGELES -- Singer-songwriter-producer Delaney Bramlett, who penned
classic rock songs such as "Let it Rain" and worked with musicians
George Harrison and Eric Clapton, has died. He was 69.

Bramlett died Saturday shortly before 5 a.m. at UCLA Ronald Reagan
Medical Center in Los Angeles as a result of complications from gall-
bladder surgery, his wife Susan Lanier-Bramlett said.

Born in Mississippi, Bramlett enjoyed a career in the music business
that spanned 50 years.

He is perhaps best known for standards such as "Superstar," co-written
with Leon Russell, which was recorded by Usher, Luther Vandross, Bette
Midler, The Carpenters and most recently, Sonic Youth, in a version
featured on the Grammy-nominated soundtrack of the movie "Juno."

He also co-wrote "Let it Rain" with British guitarist Clapton, who
also recorded it, and "Never Ending Song of Love," which was recorded
by more than 100 artists including Ray Charles, George Jones, Tammy
Wynette, Patty Loveless and Dwight Yoakam.

During his career, he performed, co-wrote or recorded with stars such
as Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, John Lennon, Dave Mason, Billy Preston,
the Everly Brothers and Mac Davis. He also produced artists including
Etta James and Elvin Bishop.

He recently released an album "A New Kind of Blues," on independent
label Magnolia Gold Records.

He is survived by his wife, three daughters: Michele Bramlett, Suzanne
Bramlett and Bekka Bramlett-Britt, a son Dylan Thomas, and a brother
John Bramlett. Services are pending.

sacha

Dec 28, 2008, 12:35:18 AM12/28/08
RIP Delaney. Saw him with the full D&B lineup in Calgary, Festival
Express tour in 1970. Great band.

Patrick

ML

Dec 28, 2008, 10:25:25 AM12/28/08
From his website: http://delaneybramlett.com/

* The guitar Delaney is holding in the above picture is
a very rare Rosewood Telecaster given to him by George
Harrison. After a show at the Royal Albert Hall George gave
this guitar to Delaney and said "I want you to have this for
what you've done for me". Delaney still plays and cherishes
this rare piece, he uses it mostly for slide work.

* The old sunburst Stratocaster and the red baby Les Paul
once belonged to Duane Allman who was one of Delaney's very
best friends. Recently FENDER'S custom shop turned an exact
duplicate of the Duane Strat out for Delaney. He's still
playing Duane's during recording sessions.

* The old metal Pre-Decal National had joint ownership for a
time between Delaney and his longtime friend Eric Clapton.
The guitar was given to them while on tour in the deep South
by an old man who said it belonged to his father. He told D
and E while he couldn't play, he knew his father would approve
of them having it the way he saw them play. Eric eventually knew
Delaney loved it so much that he told Delaney to keep it.
Delaney plays it on several cuts on his new release.

Douglas T Lilley

Dec 28, 2008, 12:06:07 PM12/28/08

Absolutely one of the best bands ever put together, no question about
it. Unbelievable talent.

Edwin Hurwitz

Dec 28, 2008, 3:19:41 PM12/28/08
RIP Delaney. Thanks for all the tunes!

I didn't know gall bladder surgery was that dangerous. I had mine out
summer of 2007 and I was home 3 hours later and on the road a week later.

My heart goes out to his family, as this was probably unexpected.

Edwin
--
If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your
enemies.

John

Dec 28, 2008, 3:57:42 PM12/28/08

Hi:

It was one of my first major concerts. I saw the Delaney & Bonnie
band open for Blind Faith in Chicago, 1969. Eric Clapton pulled
double duty....It must've been great. I remember being the only
longhair dancing out of my balcony seat. The rest were a bunch of
clueless and stiff yuppies-to-be with their
trophy dates. It seemed to me, they wondered what I was doing....
(LOL!)

I think the obit was missing a mention of Bonnie Bramlett. Why not?
What's the problem with that? If there is a public obit etiquette of
some sort, I'd say it ought to be updated to include exes.

I have some D. & B. in my collection. I'll look for it and spin a
track or so on Surf City Sounds Plus, my webradio station.

HNY,

JBK, etc., etc...

Douglas T Lilley

Dec 28, 2008, 4:09:44 PM12/28/08

Someone (I think it was Kelly) posted a link to a thread with Bobby
Whitlock over at the Steve Hoffman music group (there sure are some
knowledgeable dudes over there) and he was most generous with praise
for just about everybody except Delany Bramlett, who he said was a
total asshole.
Whoops, sorry Ken, I spoke ill of the dead before the statute of
limitations expired. Oh well...
Anyway, people should check out the Whitlock thread, unbelievable
stories about Duane, Keith Moon etc, over 1,000 posts long. Whitlock
is a humble guy (he was literally amazed that people consider him a
major factor in a couple of the best rock albums ever made. Are you
fucking kidding me??? His vocals and keyboards were a huge part of
Derek and the Dominoes' sound) and a great great story teller.

Message has been deleted

joke...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2008, 5:39:30 PM12/28/08
On Dec 27, 6:16 pm, Olompali4 <olompa...@comcast.net> wrote:
> RIP
> NFA!
>
> LOS ANGELES -- Singer-songwriter-producer Delaney Bramlett, who penned
> classic rock songs such as "Let it Rain" and worked with musicians
> George Harrison and Eric Clapton, has died. He was 69.

A clip from 1969:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EOxy3TF3OY

Will in New Haven

Dec 28, 2008, 7:08:30 PM12/28/08

My condolonces to Delaney's family and admirers and fans. It _is_
amazing that you posted this without ever mentioning Bonnie. How did
this happen?

--
Will in New Haven

Message has been deleted