NY Times Magazine Dead sighting Raw Food--Why No Oysters?

cst

Sep 4, 2002, 12:20:59 AM9/4/02
In an article on raw food titled Totally Uncooked by Peggy Orenstein,
she is referring to a chef (as my wife says, how can you call her a chef
if she doesn't cook anything?) named Roxanne Klein, and her husband
Michael Klein.
On p 52: "But Klein, 47, is no farmer. A Harvard M.B.A. ......before
dropping out to hand with the Grateful Dead....."

The stinky but funny part:
On p 54: "The Kleins, in both wealth and philosophy, represent something
new: the nexus solidified over the last decade, between computer culture
and the counterculture. After Klein sold his final high-tech venture in
1994, he became not only chairman of the Rainforest Action Network but
also C.E.O. of the ex-Grateful Dead guitarist Bob Weir's Modulus
Guitars. He turned vegan with Weir and Jerry Garcia while touring with
the Dead (although picturing Garcia as a vegan is like imagining
President Clinton as a celibate)."

so why, if raw food is so good, is raw meat not included? Fresh killed,
dripping with blood, and all those natural enzymes undestroyed by
heat.......

Edwin Hurwitz

Sep 4, 2002, 12:57:24 AM9/4/02
In article <3D758AFF...@earthlink.net>, cst <kw...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

Raw meat might be OK, but sushi, raw fish, is listed as perfect food in
the Tao of Health Sex and Longevity.

Check it out!

Edwin

--
Edwin Hurwitz
Boulder, CO

remove nospam to reply!

Russ Easby

Sep 4, 2002, 4:31:35 AM9/4/02
>He turned vegan with Weir and Jerry Garcia while touring with
>the Dead

Weir is vegan? I have never heard that before, one of his "Weirs Sauces" has
Worschshire(sp?) sauce as an ingredient, which contains anchovies, definately
not vegan.

Russell

Dev

Sep 4, 2002, 9:59:54 AM9/4/02
That would be Worcestershire, although Bob might read it as erihsretsecroW.

cedar

Sep 4, 2002, 10:33:32 AM9/4/02
On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 22:57:24 -0600, Edwin Hurwitz
<edwin...@indra.com> wrote:
>> so why, if raw food is so good, is raw meat not included? Fresh killed,
>> dripping with blood, and all those natural enzymes undestroyed by
>> heat.......

>Raw meat might be OK, but sushi, raw fish, is listed as perfect food in
>the Tao of Health Sex and Longevity.

>Edwin

I just finished a good book, "Looking For Alaska" by Peter Jennings.
Some of the residents of the Barrow, Alaska neighborhood have some
nice raw "dishes." One is "Stink Flipper," which is Walrus flipper
stuck in a box to "age" for a few weeks. It is eaten raw. The other is
raw caribou dipped in seal oil.

My local markets don't seem to carry these items.

TJ

Jperdue4

Sep 4, 2002, 10:52:52 AM9/4/02

i bet they got that shit at "Trader Joes"....lol

D. Bayne

Sep 4, 2002, 1:38:59 PM9/4/02

"Russ Easby" <russ...@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Maybe they meant Venusian?

Joe

Sep 4, 2002, 2:52:37 PM9/4/02
Oh well, I guess if the media needs to goof on anyone, it's best that they
goof on Marin County. It keeps out the riff-raff and the republicans.

Joe (in Marin)

Luke

Sep 4, 2002, 2:55:36 PM9/4/02

dearmeyerŽ

Sep 4, 2002, 5:28:58 PM9/4/02
snip

> the nexus solidified over the last decade,
/snip

Mmmmmmm, Nexus, what happened to it anyway?

cst

Sep 5, 2002, 12:47:23 AM9/5/02
Luke wrote:

> <snip> as my wife says, how can you call her a chef if she doesn't cook
> anything? <snip>
>
> "chef" is a french word for chief. as Wayne Gisslen expains in
> "Professional Cooking" (a culinary school textbook), "The chef is the
> person in charge of the kitchen. In large establishments this person
> has the title of executive chef. The exective chef is a manager who is
> responsible for all aspects of food production, including menu planning,
> purchasing, costing, and planning work schedules".
>
> often, the chef does no cooking, though they almost always have spent
> years as a cook before moving up in the classical kitchen heirarchy.
>
> ~Luke (who is not a chef, but may very well be one someday)

> Type: Hypertext Markup Language (Text/HTML)
> Part 1.2 Encoding: 7Bit

well thanks "cool hand" ;)

but I meant it as a joke should have used the emoticons