rec.music.gdead FAQ, pt. 1 of 2

1 view

f...@gdead.berkeley.edu

Aug 15, 2008, 3:05:00 AM8/15/08

Grateful Dead Frequently Asked Questions, pt.1 of 2
[Last update: December 15, 2003]
[Updated sections are marked with a * in the TOC and a brief]
[desc. of the update appears below the TOC.]

Disclaimer:
The information found in this document is for informational purposes only,
and should only be distributed freely and in it's entirety. Nothing in this
document is officially sanctioned by or affiliated with the Grateful Dead,
GDP, GDM, etc. Their *is* some info on the GDH, GDTS, DeadBase etc., but
it's all information that is freely available. Please do not use or apply
this information for commercial gain, political repression, drug enforcement,
or other unkind schemes. Thank ye.

***Please note that this FAQ is split into two sections***

This article includes answers to:

1) What are the Official Grateful Dead Hotline numbers?
2) How do I order tickets by mail?
3) How did the Grateful Dead get their name?
4) How did Jerry lose his finger ?
5) Where did the Dancing Bears come from?
6) What is a Tape Tree and how does it work?
7) Who makes the Net-Head T-shirts and how do I get one?
8) What is Dead-Flames?
*9) What is the Well?
10) What is DeadBase and how do I get one?
11) What is that weird thing that Mickey played during Space?
12) Which are some classic shows for tape collectors?

If you're looking for the answer to, say, question 10, and want to skip
everything else, you can search ahead for the regular expression "^10)".

If you have suggestions or corrections for any of these answers,
please send them to f...@gdead.berkeley.edu

* Updates:
9) Obfuscated email addresses and updated hosts.

1) What are the Official Grateful Dead Hotline numbers?
West Coast: 415-457-6388 Mail Order: 415-457-TIKS
East Coast: 973-SHIPS00 415-457-8457
973-744-7700

Ticket Problems: 415-457-8034 M-F 11am - 5pm PST
Merchandise Info: 415-898-4453
To order merchandise: 800-CAL-DEAD or 800-323-2300
GDM Customer Service 800-499-3998

Additional GD Organization Info:
Grateful Dead Productions
PO Box 1073
San Rafael CA 94915

Rex Foundation
P.O. Box 2204
San Anselmo CA 94979

2) How do I order tickets by mail?
-------------------------------
The Grateful Dead Ticket Service (GDTS) was set up for ordering Grateful
Dead tickets direct by mail, bypassing the monopolized TicketMaster.

Their is info about GDTS Too at the end of this section.

"After four months of heartfelt consideration, the remaining members of the
band met December 8th (1995), and came to the conclusion that the "long
strange trip" of the uniquely wonderful beast known as the "Grateful Dead"
is over. Although individually and in various combinations they will
undoubtedly continue to make music, whatever the future holds will be
something different in name and structure."

"While we won't be playing under the name "Grateful Dead,"
we're still going to be plenty busy in 1996."

Here's how things used to work...
Basically when the Dead had a Spring, Summer, and Fall
tour run, as well as assorted other concerts (though these
are usually in California). Approximately two months before each tour,
GDTS would announce on the hotline [see #1] the shows and their mail order
dates. Each tour may have be broken up into several different mail order dates
for different shows. This fragmentation was done so GDTS can process the
thousands of requests over a period of time. Typically, the hotline
message was four days before the actual mail order date, meaning you
have four days to get your order (and money!) together. For Spring Tour
1993, part I was announced on December 23, and the mail order date was
December 28, 1992; Part II was announced December 23, with its mail
order date January 11, 1993.

GDTS mail orders were processed on a first come, first served basis by the
date your order was POSTMARKED. However, if there were more postmarked
orders for the first mail order date than tickets, GDTS would collect all
those ticket orders and employ a random selection process for filling
orders. The key here was to get your mail order postmarked on the first
day of mail order for the show you want. For example, if the mail order
date was December 28, it would be best to go to your post office and
have a postal employee hand postmark your order on that day. Remember:
it's illegal for the post office to postmark any date other than the
current day.

The instructions for mail order are described below. I cannot stress
enough to EXACTLY follow the instructions: if your order is wrong in
any way, you WON'T get your tickets, unless someone at GDTS is feeling
charitable that day.

**Example: Joe Deadhead wants to order two tickets to all shows
for the Knickerbocker in Albany, New York. The spring
dates are for March 27, 28, and 29.

Items needed:

-Two #10 envelopes (a #10 envelope is otherwise known as a legal-size
business envelope, and measures approx. 4-1/4" x 9-1/2", why its
called a #10 is apparently a mystery.)
-One 3x5 Index Card.
-At least one US Postal or American Express Money Orders.
-At least two US Stamps= $0.32/per

0) Inside #10 envelope addressed to you.
This is the envelope that your tickets will be mailed back to
you in. Do not put any information on the outside of this envelope
other than your name and the address your tickets are to be mailed
to, and the necessary postage.

0) Outside #10 envelope, addressed to GDTS.

Inside the #10 envelope:
1) 3x5 Index card
2) Money order for tickets [and registered mail fee]
3) #10 return envelope for tickets

Please include your name, return address, the dates and # of
tickets for each on the OUTSIDE of your order.
The address to send your order to is:

Grateful Dead Ticket Sales - Name of Concert
P.O. Box C-S 81x0 (x is usually a 5 or a 9)
San Rafael, CA 94912

this address occasionally changes, always confirm it before
ordering, by calling the mail order hotline (415) 457-8457.

Example #10 outer envelope:
---------------------------

Joe Deadhead (Postage Stamp)
12345 Terrapin Way
Big River, TN 01812

Grateful Dead Ticket Sales - Knickerbocker [2-3/27, 2-3/28, 2-3/29]
P.O. Box C-S 8190
San Rafael, CA 94912

1) Index Card:

A 3x5 index card-NOT PAPER!-, any other size will not fit in our
files and may get lost. On this 3x5 card, write in the upper
left hand corner:
Your FULL NAME
Your Address
Your Area Code and Phone Number
Work number (optional)

In the middle of the card, put how many for which date.
Put your ticket request by preference:

-if you want tapers tickets make sure to write TAPER
next to you request
-Specify GENERAL ADMISSION or RESERVED SEATING if this
option is available, or;
-ANYTHING AVAILABLE- as your last preference is the best
way to ensure that you get something instead of nothing.

Example 3x5 Index card:
-----------------------
Joe Deadhead
12345 Terrapin Way
Big River, TN 01812
H - (325) 458-0989
W - (325) 466-0954

Albany 3/27 - 2 tickets @ 27.50 = $ 55.00
Albany 3/28 - 2 tickets @ 27.50 = $ 55.00
Albany 3/29 - 2 tickets @ 27.50 = $ 55.00
(TAPER/GA/RES/ANYTHING AVAILABLE) registered mail = $ 6.75
--------
$171.75 enclosed

Note that if you don't want to be so verbose that it is
OK to just specify the tickets and preferences and not the
math part.

2) Payment.

Total up all your tickets. GDTS recommends you have your tickets
sent back via registered mail. GDTS will take care of the registered
mail: all you need to do is include the registered mail cost of $6.75
in your money order.

GDTS will ONLY accept either a US POST OFFICE or AMERICAN EXPRESS
money order. NO OTHER MONEY ORDERS WILL BE ACCEPTED!!

Make payable to: GRATEFUL DEAD TICKET SALES-CONCERT NAME for the
exact amount. Make sure your name and address are on the money order.
Keep your receipt!! If your order is not filled, your payment will be
returned to you.

No personal checks or cash EVER!!

Note that the total amount on the postal money order MUST BE EXACT!
Since the ticket office may receive more requests than there are
tickets, correct requests will be processed first, and you may miss
out. Numerous rejections have occurred due to errors like incorrect
dollar amount, no stamps, etc.

Example:
--------
Joe wants two tickets to each Albany show, and each Albany
ticket is $27.50. The registered mail fee is $6.75.

Payment = ( 6 tickets * $27.50 ) + ( 6.75 Registered Mail fee )
= 165.00 + 6.75
= 171.75

Make out money order to GRATEFUL DEAD TICKET SALES - ALBANY
for $171.75, with Joe's name and address. Joe keeps the
receipt.

**** CANADIAN MAIL ORDER ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS ****

If you are ordering from Canada, here are some helpful instructions:

Ticket prices are the same, of course, only in US dollars. There is
only one option for canadian orders: canadian postal money orders
in u.s. currency. THERE IS NO OTHER ACCEPTED FORM OF PAYMENT (i.e.,
no american express money orders as is ok in the u.s.).

Have your mail hand-stamped by the canadian postal workers.

Instead of putting stamps on your return envelope (SASE), enclose
with your SASE an international postal coupon. I've been told
that GDTS will accept one of these as equivalent to one u.s. first
class postage stamp. Be sure to add the equivalent additional
amount in coupons if you are ordering more than 8 tickets.

Since your mail is passing through two postal and border systems
IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU REGISTER YOUR MAIL. The price
is the same as for american orders ($6.75); just add this amount
to your canadian money order.

Finally, your order will take a little longer than an american
order because of the border and postal issues, but it does work!

[Thanks to joseph muller - JMU...@SSCvax.CIS.McMaster.CA]

3) #10 Return Envelope:

Include a #10 sized self-addressed, stamped envelope for your tickets.
This envelope can be folded in 3 to fit in the outside envelope.
Please do NOT decorate your return envelope with Grateful Dead art
or mention of tickets: it only invites theft (e.g. - Tickets
Enclosed). GDTS loves and displays the artistic and colorful incoming
order envelopes!!!

Return Postage: $.32 for 1-8 tix
$.55 for 9-16 tix

Do not add extra postage. Remember: the registered mail fee does
NOT include postage, so you must put a stamp on your return envelope.

Example #10 return envelope:
----------------------------
[Note: No address for GDTS. (Postage Stamp)
They have a stamper.]

Joe Deadhead
12345 Terrapin Way
Big River, TN 01812

Other Rules:

One order per envelope and one order per person. Each person must
fill out their own order. Duplicate orders of any kind will cause
disqualification of all involved orders. For example, if 3 concerts are
announced in the same venue, you may order the max. number of tickets
to all 3 concerts in one envelope, unless GDTS states otherwise. Mixed
orders or orders for more than one city in one envelope will not be
accepted. All orders will be filled on a "first come, first served"
basis by date postmark, NOT by when GDTS receives them.

NO METERED MAIL, EXPRESS MAIL, OR FEDERAL EXPRESS ACCEPTED!!

Make sure your envelopes are stamped. Postal employees may by
habit meter your mail if you don't watch them. Express Mail and
Federal Express are never accepted and are a waste of your money.

If GDTS decides to do a random selection mail order, they will
announce it on the hotline before hand. If GDTS receives more
mail postmarked the first day than they have tickets for, then
the mail order automatically changes to random selection.

The mail order hotline (415) 457-8457 will give the correct information
and address to mail for tickets. Do not use any other address or your
request will not be filled!! If the hotline instructions are different
from the above, then always follow the hotline instructions or your
order may be rejected.

Please write to GDTS with any suggestions, problems, praise or
complaints at:

Grateful Dead Ticket Sales
P.O. Box 9812
San Rafael, CA 94912

DON'T SEND TICKET REQUESTS TO THE ABOVE ADDRESS, THEY WILL BE RETURNED!
[P.S. Notification from GDTS, be it tix or a rejection notice, almost
always comes before tix actually go on-sale at a local outlet. If ya
find yourself still waiting to hear and the on-sale date is fast
approaching, say 4-5 days away, don't panic, just give 'em a ring at
the ticket problem # listed above in question 1. They're usu. very
helpful if it comes to that.]

3) How did they get the name?
--------------------------
In Blair Jackson's book on the Dead, Garcia is quoted as saying:
"One day we were over at Phil's house...He had a big dictionary. I
opened it and there was 'Grateful Dead', those words juxtaposed. It was
one of those moments, you know, like everything else went blank, diffuse,
just sort of oozed away, and there was GRATEFUL DEAD in big, black
letters edged all around in gold, man, blasting out at me, such a
stunning combination. So I said, 'How about Grateful Dead?' And that
was it." The dictionary entry reads along these lines:

GRATEFUL DEAD: The motif of a cycle of folk tales which begin with the
hero coming upon a group of people ill-treating or refusing to bury the corpse
of a man who had died without paying his debts. He gives his last penny, either
to pay the man's debts or to give him a decent burial. Within a few hours he
meets with a travelling companion who aids him in some impossible task, gets
him a fortune or saves his life. The story ends with the companion disclosing
himself as the man whose corpse the hero had befriended.(Funk & Wagnall's
Dictionary).

The name has also been attributed to this quote, though it's generally
believed that they came across this one later..

"We now return our souls to the creator,
as we stand on the edge of eternal darkness.
Let our chant fill the void
in order that others may know.
In the land of the night
the ship of the sun
is drawn by the grateful dead."

-- Egyptian Book of the Dead

Chris Forshay <FOR...@ceb.ucop.edu> reports that the original
source for the quote isn't Blair Jackson's book; the source is
Mike Lydon's book "Rock Folk".

GDTS TOO (http://www.gdtstoo.com,
Customer Service Number: (415) 898-2364, Monday-Friday, 11am-5pm, PST
Tour information and mailorder telephone hotline: 415-457-6388)

now does mail order for many shows. Their mailing address is now

POB 8150
San Rafael CA 94912

Their new customer service number is 415-898-2364.

Like GDP, they moved to Novato.

Hotline: our main phone number for the hotline is still 415-457-6388.
We have modernized with a new digital hotline that works very well.
There is no more East Coast hotline.

Mailing: we are eliminating as much as possible the Registered mail.
Instead we use FedEx 2-day service. The charge is $8.00 for addresses
West of the Mississippi. $10.00 for addresses East of the Big River.
Registered mail is still available upon request, and for Canadian
orders.

Money orders: we accept USPS (postal) money orders and Western
Union money orders. (Western Union bought out American Express
a while ago.)

For Canadian orders, we accept only Canadian postals, in US dollars.

Postage: has of course increased to 33 cents... and will probably increase
again soon.

For the rest, we still do things very much the same as we always did.

4) How did Jerry lose his finger ?
While they were chopping wood as children, his brother Tiff
accidentally chopped it off with an axe.

5) Where did the Dancing Bears come from?
--------------------------------------
The bears were used on blotter acid produced by Owsley. Owsley's
nickname was Bear, the logo is a (registered?) trademark, and it
appears in the Bear's Choice cover art. Earlier sightings of the
bears suggest that the design may have existed for some time.

6) What is a Tape Tree and how does it work?
Somebody offers a tape(seed). Someone volunteers to be the administrator
of the tree, and thus "run" it. If the administrator is not going to be
the "root", it's a good idea to know who will be ahead of time, or find
someone who is willing to be. After consultation with the seed, the
administrator posts a message to the net soliciting applications to be on
the tree. The first person(root) (maybe the offerer, maybe the
administrator, maybe not) who actually gets the seed tape makes
up to 5 copies and sends them out to 5 people (branches), each of those
people make up to 5 copies and send them out to either other branches,
or to leaves (who make no copies), etc., until everybody who signed up
gets a copy. The person structuring the tree ("administrator") may or may
not be the person who provides the original tape ("seed") or the person
who makes the initial 5 copies ("root"). To get on, you send mail to the
administrator following a posting. When on, you make up to 5 tapes
for people below you (if you're a "branch"), or none (if you're a
"leaf"). You send the person above you either other tapes in trade,
or blanks if you can't trade. IMHO, if trading, each person pays
postage one way. If sending blanks, you pay postage both ways.

For most current or recent shows, the seed usually provides a DAT tape,
and therefore it's a good idea for the root to have DAT capabilities
as well, thus enabling most people to get high quality, low-generation
analogs.

There is no payment for this service, ever. Don't do business with
anyone who wants payment for taping. Most heads are only too happy
to make copies for anyone who asks.

Q: I don't have two decks (or a dual deck). Can I still be on the
tape tree without making copies for other people?

A: If you cannot make copies for others you are considered a "leaf" on
the tree, and will be assigned to a "branch" of the tree, that is,
someone who can make copies.

Q: Does it matter if I have a dubbing cassette deck instead of two
separate decks for making copies?

A: Many dubbing decks are cheap and do not do a good job on quality
when making a copy of a tape, partly because the consumer companies
don't think people will notice the difference...NOT. Deadheads are
audiophiles. The reason you are on a tree is: 1) You REALLY want
the shows and, 2) You want the best possible quality tape you can
get for a free recording. There ARE dubbing decks out there that
do a good job, but cost more and are usually worth it (both Sony
and Denon make good high-end dubbing decks). If you have a dubbing
deck, NEVER, repeat, NEVER use the high speed dub when you are
making a copy for someone. Why? You will reduce the quality of
the tape, for the person you are making it for and any copies they
will make. Always make the best quality tapes you can with the
equipment you have on hand.

When a tree is started the administrator will want to know what
equipment you have (brand, type, number of heads, etc...). This
information is needed so that when the administrator sets up the tree
everyone gets the best possible recording they can get, no matter what
type of equipment you may have.

Q: What should I set my recording levels at?

A: Recording levels are really a function of the deck and the
type of tape being used. For instance, you can probably
set the peaks at +5 dB for metal tapes, but at +3 dB for
high bias tapes. The key here is to KNOW YOUR DECK. The
suggestion is to try different tapes and choose the one that
works best with your deck. My preference for recording tapes
(depending on the source) are the new Maxell XLIIS tapes.

Q: If you miss the request cuttoff date for the tree, is there
any way to get on the tree?

A: In general, no. You can try sending mail to somebody who's
making fewer than 5 copies, and ask if he'll make you one.
Often, the tree administrator will indicate people who've
offered to make more copies than they've been assigned.
You'll probably have better luck doing this if you offer to
trade.

Q: When everybody trades tapes on the net, what is the customary
way everybody does this?

A: Generally, by trade. You offer a tape to somebody and ask
for a list of what you can get in return, and choose something.
If you are going to be doing a lot of trading, you should get
on the tapehead mailing list (send mail to
tape-head...@fuggles.acc.virginia.edu and ask to be added
to that list).
Also common on the net is a posting requesting a tape of a
particular show, and offering to trade from your collection of
### hours of tapes, or offering blanks if you cant make tapes.
Probably a good idea to put GROVEL or REQUEST and the date in
your subject heading if ya want a response.
Additionally, Wayne Folsom now runs an informal Tape Server,
whereby you send him a request for certain tapes/sets, and he
posts the lists of wants to the net every week or so. If you
would like to make a request and need more information, email
him at wfo...@bbn.com

7) Who makes the Net-Head T-shirts and how do I get one?
Maya has rarely done them more often than once a year (and I don't blame
her). There's usually an announcement in the fall indicating a new
run and giving the pertinent details, if she does one. Be patient, be kind.
Nethead shirts are a labor of love for Maya, not an obligation.

Here's the most recent announcement...

From rose...@noller.com Mon Sep 11 10:57:00 PDT 1995
From: rose...@noller.com (Roserunner)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gdead
Subject: Nethead t-shirt run
Date: 8 Sep 95 19:58:58 GMT

Due to popular request, Maya has agreed to do another run of nethead
t-shirts. I have received some really kind e-mail suggesting that Maya
and I can contribute to keeping our scene active and vibrant by making
another batch of nethead t-shirts.

It's been 23 days since Jerry died. I'm getting choked up trying to
compose this, so I'm gonna stop and just attatch the t-shirt run
announcement.

Keep in touch,
Roserunner

Here's the announcement about nethead t-shirts. I hope it
answers all your questions. Please read the whole text before
sending questions to me. As it is, I answer almost half the questions
by simply re-sending this announcement. If you still have any questions after
reading this, please e-mail me at rose...@noller.com and I'll address them.

PURPOSE: Meet'n'greeters so folks can find other netheads in crowds.
Otherwise, a couple of netheads might just stumble^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hglide
gracefully by each other. Basically, this is a home brew method of
spreading smiles far and wide.

his head. He's turning to look over his right shoulder, and raising his
hand in greeting. The terminal has a lightning bolt down the middle,
with one side of the screen being red and the other blue. Over his head are
hand composed letters forming the word "Nethead". Below Mr. Bones is
a crescent of red roses with green leaves. The design uses four colors.
On the back of the t-shirt is says "Nothin' left to do but :-) :-) :-)"
A kind soul scanned a t-shirt and stored it at the berkeley archive site
(gdead.berkeley.edu \pub\gdead).

The t-shirts are 100% cotton. Preshrunk. Major brand (Fruit of the Loom
usually). The design is printed on a white t-shirt. White is easier to
find in a sea of tie-dyes, or a dark room. Besides, we could never dye
them just _exactly_ the way every "picky deadhead" would want it ;-)

Kids can get by with a size Small, btw. They make grate jammies ;-)
The design is about 12 inches across, so it won't fit on a "real" kid's
size t-shirt.

HOW TO GET ONE (or more):

An American Express money order is must for foreign orders, as banks have
become much more reluctant to deal with foreign personal checks, recently.
Also, foreign orders need to send $US22, which includes an extra $2 for
shipping. Postal or American Express money orders can also be used.
If that's a problem, we are open to considering trades of local stuff
for nethead t-shirts. Think of chocolate from Switzerland, or lace
>from Belgium, or something along that line.

Maya has never had a bad check from a nethead. so she'll keep on
accepting them, as long as the check is drawn on a U.S. bank.
Besides, if anyone should send rubber instead of paper,
they would generate a huge amount of bad kharma. That much bad Kharma
would prevent them from being able to score a show ticket for at _least_
a whole year.

Maya saves each and every t-shirt request forever. Send something,
(a receipt from a Chinese (or other) restaurant, a cookie recipe with your
SIZE on the back, a copy of the cover of your dissertation, a piece of paper,
a picture of a dancing elephant at the National Zoo, a tape label (attached
to a tape is OK too ;-) ), the doodling from that boring required class
you just got out of, by now you get the idea)
with (at least) the following information:

Name
Address
Size (Can't make one for _you_ without knowing
what size _you_ wear)
Phone Number (in case of some glitch)

$US 20 per t-shirt
(make checks out to Maya Baldwin)

to:
Maya Baldwin
5421 Douglas Lane
Sebastopol, Ca. 95472-2112

DEADLINE for nethead t-shirt requests is Bobby's birthday 10-15-95.
We'll have the t-shirts in the mail on or about 11-15-95.

Don't forget to INCLUDE YOUR SIZE.

XXL is no problem. Please e-mail me if you need an even bigger size,
and we'll try to work something out. T-shirts that are too large can be
easily shrunk by washing in hot water, btw. The t-shirts are pre-shrunk,
but they _are_ cotton, which naturally shrinks when washed in hot water.
Preshrunk t-shirts shrink less than non-pre-shrunk, of course.

QUESTIONS: I'm Maya's net.I/O.Port :-)
My e-mail address for any questions is: rose...@noller.com

If something comes up and you need to talk to Maya directly,
call (707) 887-9017, while the Sun is shining in California.

Did I mention that it's important to tell Maya the SIZE t-shirt you
need?

CONFIRMATION OF REQUESTS:
This is a little "operation" and we're quite busy with our regular
lives, so we don't send out confirmation of every t-shirt request.
There just isn't enough time in the day. We'd like to, but just can't
pull it off. If you are concerned about the arrival of your request,
please e-mail me and I'll consult with Maya then tell you if she has it
yet. I can deal with a few requests on a sporadic basis easier than
contracting to come in every day and send out a bunch of e-mail
confirmations. After all, my boss thinks I use this machine to develop
his products ;-)

It's really amazing how much interest there is in our meet'n'greeters.
It isn't a business, and we can't spend all our time on it. We hope you
understand where we're coming from.

These t-shirts are intended to help folks find each other, regardless of
how they communicate through cyberspace. The access method/net isn't
important, the communication is. Therefore, please feel free to distribute
this nethead t-shirt offering announcement to any list/machine you feel
would have an interested audience on it.

--------------- Context of nethead t-shirts presented below --------------
We're just a couple of, um, ah, "experienced" hippies hoping to make it
easier for folks to make connections at shows. The nethead t-shirt was a
spontaneous creation of my wife, Maya, a few years ago. When I first wore it
to a show Dave Gans, Marty Lefkowitz, and Rea Simpson saw it and I met
them for the first time. If I hadn't been wearing the nethead t-shirt,
I would have just walked by them in the crowd, and our meeting might
not have happened.

At the same time, there was a lot of net.discussion about somehow making
a r.m.gdead t-shirt of some sort. Somebody mentioned the nethead t-shirts
Maya had made. Things snowballed from there. Now Maya tries to keep a
few t-shirts around, so we can send one out real soon after we receive a
request. If there's going to be a delay of more than a couple of weeks,
I'll get back to you and let you know about it. Please be a bit
patient with us, as this isn't anything resembling a business.

----
"Get your motor runnin' / Head out on the highway
Lookin' for adventure / In whatever comes our way" -Steppenwolf
rose...@noller.com -- lotsa names, lotsa numbers, lotsa kids, lotsa bikes
8) What is Dead-Flames?

and the dead-flames digest was retired August 31, 1996.

Everything read in dead-flames was also read in rec.music.gdead and
vice-versa (except for those things posted to rec.music.gdead with a
restricted distribution that prevents them from reaching the node that
dead-flames originates from). Dead-flames was digestified, each mail
message may have contained many postings. Each message was about 600-700 lines
long (about 30K characters).

Even if you did't receive dead-flames, you can post to both dead-flames
and rec.music.gdead using email. Dead-flames was handy for those who do
not get usenet.news, for those who do get usenet.news but have a slow
feed, or even for those who have reading, but not posting, privleges
for usenet.news.

The following was the standard info that's always tacked on to each
dead-flames digest:

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service addresses, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, are as follows:

Internet: dead-flames-request @ gdead.berkeley.edu

You can send mail to the entire list (and rec.music.gdead) via one of these
addresses:

Internet: dead-flames @ gdead.berkeley.edu

9) What is the Well?
-----------------
The Well is the Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link, a public access computer
network based in California. The Well's Grateful Dead conferences
are hosted by Neil Glazer (nlg @ well.com) and Tony Kiriluk
(tkiriluk @ well.com). There are also separate conferences devoted
to tapes, concerts, rumors, etc. For more info on The
Well, you can call (415) 332-4335(voice), or send email to:
info @ well.com or browse www.well.com

10) What is DeadBase and how do I get one?
--------------------------------------
DeadBase is a deadhead-originated manual which contains extensive set
lists, statistics, venue info, facts and opinion on thirty plus years of
Grateful Dead magic; it is an invaluable resource for any Deadhead.

Some yearly editions of DeadBase include Grateful Dead, Garcia related
band and Weir related band setlists. Other editions contain Grateful
Dead setlists only. DeadBase IX is out and is available in either Hard
Cover or Soft Cover. For more information check:

http://www.deadbase.com
http://www.cyberportal.net/deadbase/db.home.html
http://www.ggould.com/gdforum
AOL Grateful Dead Forum Store (AOL keyword: gdstore)
Terrapin Tapes 800-677-8650

The mailing address for direct orders is

DeadBase Orders
P.O. Box 499
Hanover, NH 03755

11) What is that weird thing that Mickey played during Space?
It is called "The Beam", a long aluminum I-beam with twelve piano
strings streched along its length; the vibration of the strings is
sensed by a very large magnetic pickup. The sound is amplified
through Myers speakers and sub-woofers, whose loudness can be varied
with a foot-pedal allowing a controlled degree of acoustic feedback.
The best example of the Beam is on the Rythm Devil's "The Apocalypse
Now Sessions". The Beam is used heavily, but most notably on the
track, "Napalm for Breakfast". Pittsburgh 06/26/88, Shoreline
06/16/90, and Buffalo 06/06/92 are good examples of the Beam in concert.

12) Which are some classic shows for tape collectors?
How about (these are just suggestions):

03/25/66 - Trouper's Hall 11/19/66 - Fillmore Aud.
11/29/66 - The Matrix 02/14/68 - Carousel Ballroom
08/24/68 - Shrine Aud. 10/30/68 - Mickey & The Hartbeats
03/01/69 - Fillmore West 12/12/69 - Thelma Theatre
02/11/70 - Fillmore East 02/13/70 - Fillmore East
02/14/70 - Fillmore East 05/02/70 - Harpur College
05/06/70 - M.I.T. 09/20/70 - Fillmore East
02/18/71 - Portchester 04/08/71 - Boston Music Hall
04/28/71 - Fillmore East 04/29/71 - Fillmore East
07/02/71 - Fillmore West 12/10/71 - Fox Theatre
12/14/71 - Ann Arbor 07/26/72 - Portland
08/21/72 - BCT 08/27/72 - Veneta
02/09/73 - Maples Pavilion 05/26/73 - Kezar Stadium
06/10/73 - RFK 11/10/73 - Winterland
12/02/73 - Boston 02/24/74 - Winterland
05/19/74 - Portland, OR 06/18/74 - Louisville
06/26/74 - Providence 06/28/74 - Boston
10/19/74 - Winterland 10/20/74 - Winterland
06/03/76 - Portland 10/09/76 - Oakland
02/26/77 - San Bernardino 03/18/77 - Winterland
04/27/77 - Passaic, NJ 05/08/77 - Cornell
05/09/77 - Buffalo 06/09/77 - Winterland
10/02/77 - Portland, OR 12/29/77 - Winterland
01/22/78 - Eugene, OR 07/08/78 - Red Rocks
10/21/78 - Winterland 11/24/78 - Passaic, NJ
12/31/78 - Winterland 10/27/79 - Cape Cod
11/01/79 - Nassau 12/01/79 - Pittsburgh
12/26/79 - Oakland 05/11/80 - Portland, ME
09/02/80 - Rocheste 05/06/81 - Nassau
05/16/81 - Cornell 09/26/81 - Buffalo
10/16/81 - Milk Weg 12/31/81 - Oakland Auditorium
04/06/82 - Philly 04/18/82 - Hartford
04/19/82 - Baltimore 04/16/83 - Brendan Byrne
04/17/83 - Brendan Byrne 06/18/83 - Saratoga
09/06/83 - Red Rocks 09/11/83 - Santa Fe
10/11/83 - MSG 07/13/84 - Greek Theatre
07/22/84 - Ventura 10/12/84 - Augusta
10/20/84 - Syracuse 11/02/84 - BCT
06/14/85 - Greek Theatre 06/24/85 - Cincinnati
09/07/85 - Red Rocks 09/15/85 - Chula Vista
11/01/85 - Richmond 03/20/86 - Hampton
12/27/86 - Oakland 04/04/87 - Worcester
06/20/87 - Greek 06/26/87 - Alpine Valley
07/06/87 - Pittsburgh 07/08/87 - Roanoke
09/18/87 - MSG 12/31/87 - Oakland
03/17/88 - HJ Kaiser 03/27/88 - Hampton
06/30/88 - Rochester 07/02/88 - Oxford Plains
09/03/88 - Cap Centre 04/02/89 - Pittsburgh
06/21/89 - Shoreline 07/12/89 - RFK
07/17/89 - Alpine Valley 10/09/89 - Hampton
10/16/89 - Brendan Byrne 03/29/90 - Nassau
07/12/90 - RFK 09/16/90 - MSG
09/19/90 - MSG 09/20/90 - MSG
10/27/90 - Paris 12/12/90 - Denver
12/31/90 - Oakland 03/21/91 - Cap Centre
04/01/91 - Greensboro 05/12/91 - Shoreline
06/14/91 - RFK 06/17/91 - Giants Stadium
08/16/91 - Shoreline 09/10/91 - MSG
09/26/91 - Boston 10/31/91 - Oakland
12/28/91 - Oakland 03/09/92 - Cap Centre
03/20/92 - Hamilton 05/31/92 - Las Vegas
06/20/92 - RFK 12/13/92 - Oakland?

End of Part 1 of 2, rec.music.gdead FAQ
--
"Damn. In a fit of disgust I put *myself* in my kill file." -bongo on r.m.gd

This message will be infinitely reproduced.