Mardi Gras and Oakland run comments

Jeffrey Ely

Feb 27, 1995, 3:23:06 AM2/27/95
Friday was crap, but early technical difficulties were to blame.
It is very tough to recover from a botched Help-Slip-Frank, but
they at least made the effort and when Saint of Circumstance
came around in the second set, they were at least poised to have
a good Saturday and Sunday. And Visions of Johanna was a fine
reading (that to be taken literally of course).

But it appeared that Garcia took this fact for granted on Saturday.
He was looking mighty wasted, thrashed some crucial lyrics, mumbled
others and didn't take the opportunity to turn a good feeling Saturday
into a great show like it should have been. Still The Other One
really came off well, and One More Saturday Night got the crowd
howling.

But these shows are throw-aways compared to Mardi Gras. They threw
out a handful of songs and called it a first set. EXTREMELY short,
but we knew that this was just to make room for the second set and
parade. Don't bother with the first set. (btw Lazy River Road
was played too lugubriously. December Oakland run they did this
tune how it should be played. Maybe they forgot?)

Second Set:

Drums (parade)
Aiko Aiko
Samson
Ship of Fools
Esitmated Prophet
Eyes
Drums
Space
Miracle
Days Between
Not Fade

Encore: Box of Rain

David Murray floated in and out on Tenor Sax (no bass clarinet).
He played a critical role in the splendiferousness that took place
between Estimated and Eyes, and he did a lot of squeaking and
honking during a bitchin Space.

That guy on the talking drum appeard playing (what else) the talking
drum during the two drum segments. During the first there were also
four guys playing big bass drums off on stage right.

Highlight was certainly Estimated-> Eyes. The jam was the kind of
thing that you play for your friends and say this is what the dead
does. Fluid smearing of tempos with 6 guys each with a thumb full
of paint. We all agree now that Vince is far better than any
previous keyboard player at this type of thing, no?

Bummer was Jerry blew Ship of Fools. His playing was cool, but he
missed the last lyric (I wouldn't leave you driftin down was replaced
by a repeat of I would not caution all), and in general he sang it
without its necessary emphasis.

Too bad they came out of Space with Miracle, but what else is Bob
gonna choose there, given that they already played The Other One.
I would put The Wheel there, which would segue nicely into Days
Between.

Which by the way was done nicely, but I have heard better ones. By
this time though, the discerning listener is satisfied enough that they
finally pulled something off, so no need to pick nits on this one.

Box of Rain was a fine encore. No teleprompter btw on this one.

Disclaimers/Warnings:
1. I may have mistakes in my setlist
2. You may be a moron and flame me for it
3. Your moronitude will show if you do.

Jeff

Beth Dyer

Feb 27, 1995, 10:30:10 AM2/27/95

In article <3is25a$s...@agate.berkeley.edu> je...@econ.berkeley.edu (Jeffrey Ely) writes:

[snip]

>That guy on the talking drum appeard playing (what else) the talking

^^^^ ^^^

Sikiru Adepoju.

Beth

Damien Palermo

Feb 27, 1995, 2:59:19 PM2/27/95

je...@econ.berkeley.edu (Jeffrey Ely) wrote:

[snip, snip]

|Second Set:
|
|Drums (parade)
|Aiko Aiko
|Samson
|Ship of Fools
|Esitmated Prophet
|Eyes
|Drums
|Space
|Miracle
|Days Between
|Not Fade
|
|Encore: Box of Rain
|
|David Murray floated in and out on Tenor Sax (no bass clarinet).
|He played a critical role in the splendiferousness that took place
|between Estimated and Eyes, and he did a lot of squeaking and
|honking during a bitchin Space.

I'm pretty sure he brought out the bass clarinet briefly at the beginning
of space and then he went back to the tenor sax. Anyone else see this??
Seemed like he was having difficulty finding a groove to get into at times,
but I do agree that he added some splendid playing on Estimated->Eyes. David's
sound wasn't loud enough in the mix from where I was sitting, Sec 105 Jerry side
back towards the tapers. Maybe I'll hear it better when tapes start circulating...

Peace,

DP

E. Marie Robertson

Mar 2, 1995, 1:34:59 AM3/2/95
In <3j3gd0$j...@usenetp1.news.prodigy.com> TBZ...@prodigy.com (Michael
Lawrence) writes:

>Maybe Jerry missed a verse of Ship to downplay the 30th anniversary
>{30 years upon my head}. Or possibly he's saving the verse for the
>"real"
>anniversary show. What do you think? I know I was disappointed to
hear
>the first Ship of their 30th year with no30 years line.

I took note of that missing verse too; I think he missed it because it
just ain't a Dead show if Jerry doesn't forget the words to something
he's been singing for 29 years ... ;-)

e. marie

Ron Kalmbacher

Feb 28, 1995, 9:55:00 PM2/28/95

I don't know if you'll get this or not and I can't get mail here. i
just wanted to tell you that the tapes of the 13th MSG show are on their
way to you.

Take it easy,
Ron
---
* CMPQwk #1.4* UNREGISTERED EVALUATION COPY

Internet: ron.kal...@royal.com (Ron Kalmbacher)

Jon_M...@unc.edu

Feb 28, 1995, 6:23:32 PM2/28/95
In article <3is25a$s...@agate.berkeley.edu> je...@econ.berkeley.edu (Jeffrey Ely) writes:

>David Murray floated in and out on Tenor Sax (no bass clarinet).
>He played a critical role in the splendiferousness that took place
>between Estimated and Eyes, and he did a lot of squeaking and
>honking during a bitchin Space.

Tree, anyone?

Jon Meltzer jonm...@mhs.unc.edu