Best modern 1st Set ever?

JimK

Aug 4, 2006, 12:34:53 AM8/4/06
Afte listening to it once again tonight, I'd have to vote for 7/19/89.
The setlist looks innocent enough:

Hell In A Bucket
Sugaree
Mama Tried->
Mexicali Blues
Althea
Victim Or The Crime->
West L.A. Fadeaway
Desolation Row->
Deal

Sugaree is really sweet, and the Althea is simply stunning. Victim is
not yet fully developed, but full of promise. The West L.A. is spot on
and stretched out to the max. I can't think of a finer Desolation Row;
Jerry's leads soar and his backup vocals are perfect accents. And
Deal? The jam before the final chorus starts slowly and builds, like a
skyscraper going up and doesn't stop until the 81st floor. Then comes
the big finish, with a final crescendo that had to leave the stage
smoldering. If there's a better Deal than this one, somebody please
tell me what it is. And to top it all off, the DSBD is exquisite.

JimK

k sturm

Aug 4, 2006, 12:44:35 AM8/4/06

"JimK" <jkezwind@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message

Wasn't that the rain and mud show? Oh, yeah, that was a good one.

Lfh

Aug 4, 2006, 1:26:39 AM8/4/06

JimK wrote:
> Afte listening to it once again tonight, I'd have to vote for 7/19/89.
> The setlist looks innocent enough:

I'm putting in my vote for another innocuous looking beastie, 9-18-90.

> If there's a better Deal than this one, somebody please
> tell me what it is.

For really Real Deals, ya might wanna lend an ear to 6-30-84 and
10-17-83.

Fred

mjd

Aug 4, 2006, 8:06:46 AM8/4/06

thanks for the tip - had not listened to this one before. That really
is a barn-burner of a Deal. The Desolation is nice, but IMHO nothing
tops the 3/31/87 version; check it out if you haven't. Bob's phrasing
is really something - starts out pretty understated and natural, but by
the end check how he handles the doorknob line. That's another first
set that really sparkles, as I've prattled on about here before.

marc

Aug 4, 2006, 10:33:01 AM8/4/06

> > JimK wrote

> thanks for the tip - had not listened to this one before. That really
> is a barn-burner of a Deal. The Desolation is nice, but IMHO nothing
> tops the 3/31/87 version; check it out if you haven't. Bob's phrasing
> is really something - starts out pretty understated and natural, but by
> the end check how he handles the doorknob line. That's another first
> set that really sparkles, as I've prattled on about here before.

Here's another vote for 3-31-87. It has it all -- great performances
(musically and vocally) and the cover tune selections are a journey
through the best of American music.

First, a rip roaring opener of Jack Straw > Franklin's Tower.
Next, CC Rider, covering a traditional American blues tune
Next, Ramble on Rose, a truly Garcia original.
Tons of Steel, the best performance of a Brent tune. Period. Played and
sung with lots of intensity.
Mama Tried/Big River, the Dead's homage to the great C/W singers of the
day, Haggard and Cash
Candyman, again a truly original Jerry tune.
Desolation, covering Dylan, Weir hits all the notes and phrasing just
perfectly.
Don't Ease Me In, covering the traditional music genre

Jack Straw
Franklin's Tower
C.C. Rider
Ramble on Rose
Tons of Steel
Mama Tried
Big River
Candyman
Desolation Row
Don't Ease Me In

Neil X.

Aug 4, 2006, 10:46:27 AM8/4/06

> JimK wrote:
>
> Afte listening to it once again tonight, I'd have to vote for 7/19/89.

I think 10/31/91 gets my vote. That was the Bill Graham tribute show:

Help On The Way >
Slipknot! >
Franklin's Tower
Little Red Rooster
Loser
Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
Let It Grow

Peace,
Neil X.

BVT

Aug 4, 2006, 11:05:16 AM8/4/06
Atlanta Fox Theatre 11/30/80! While Set 2 gets all the attention, Set 1
BURNS...first electric Birdsong in years, smoking Sailor>Saint>Deal

Feel Like A Stranger [8:33] ; Loser [7:52] ; Cassidy [4:58] ; Ramble On
Rose [#6:53] ; Little Red Rooster [9:07] ; Bird Song [8:49] ; Me And My
Uncle[3:00] > Big River [5:23] ; It Must Have Been The Roses [7:01] ;
Lost Sailor [6:22] > Saint Of Circumstance [6:33] > Deal [6:20#]

JimK

Aug 4, 2006, 11:17:11 AM8/4/06
On 3 Aug 2006 22:26:39 -0700, "Lfh" <onetas...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>JimK wrote:
>> Afte listening to it once again tonight, I'd have to vote for 7/19/89.
>> The setlist looks innocent enough:
>
>I'm putting in my vote for another innocuous looking beastie, 9-18-90.

That's definitely a good one, although I like the next night even
more.

JimK

JimK

Aug 4, 2006, 11:19:56 AM8/4/06
On 4 Aug 2006 07:33:01 -0700, "marc" <ms11...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> > JimK wrote
>>
>> thanks for the tip - had not listened to this one before. That really
>> is a barn-burner of a Deal. The Desolation is nice, but IMHO nothing
>> tops the 3/31/87 version; check it out if you haven't. Bob's phrasing
>> is really something - starts out pretty understated and natural, but by
>> the end check how he handles the doorknob line. That's another first
>> set that really sparkles, as I've prattled on about here before.
>
>Here's another vote for 3-31-87. It has it all -- great performances
>(musically and vocally) and the cover tune selections are a journey
>through the best of American music.
>
>First, a rip roaring opener of Jack Straw > Franklin's Tower.
>Next, CC Rider, covering a traditional American blues tune

Sorry, but the inclusion of CC automatically disqualifies this show
from any "best ever" lists.

>Next, Ramble on Rose, a truly Garcia original.
>Tons of Steel, the best performance of a Brent tune. Period. Played and
>sung with lots of intensity.

See note re: CC rider.

>Mama Tried/Big River, the Dead's homage to the great C/W singers of the
>day, Haggard and Cash
>Candyman, again a truly original Jerry tune.
>Desolation, covering Dylan, Weir hits all the notes and phrasing just
>perfectly.
>Don't Ease Me In, covering the traditional music genre

That makes three clunkers in the set. Too much to overcome, imo.

JimK

mjd

Aug 4, 2006, 11:42:15 AM8/4/06

CC and Dough Knees I can see, but what's the 3rd???

Ignore the rest at your own peril - Marc RYK.

brew ziggins

Aug 4, 2006, 11:54:48 AM8/4/06
Thus spake jkezwind@comcastDOTnet...

> On 4 Aug 2006 07:33:01 -0700, "marc" <ms11...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> >First, a rip roaring opener of Jack Straw > Franklin's Tower.
> >Next, CC Rider, covering a traditional American blues tune
>
> Sorry, but the inclusion of CC automatically disqualifies this show
> from any "best ever" lists.

Thank you!

SkyYellow...@hotmail.com

Aug 4, 2006, 11:55:33 AM8/4/06

JimK wrote:
> Afte listening to it once again tonight, I'd have to vote for 7/19/89.
> The setlist looks innocent enough:
>
> Hell In A Bucket
> Sugaree
> Mama Tried->
> Mexicali Blues
> Althea
> Victim Or The Crime->
> West L.A. Fadeaway
> Desolation Row->
> Deal

I was at this show. If memory serves correctly, this was the final show
at Alpine, capping off a very rainy run of shows there. Crowd was
light, security was even lighter. I recall people sneaking in backpacks
full of beer and handing it out during the show. I dont recall this
show being remarkable but then again I was on the lawn, soaking wet, a
bit cold, definitely tired from the last few days events and a bit
despondent what with all the rain and resulting subdued scene. I do
recall having to talk my pals into staying through the show....they
wanted to split. Grovel alert-If anyone wanted to burn this show for
me, I can get blanks out immediately.

brew ziggins

Aug 4, 2006, 12:00:59 PM8/4/06
Thus spake nei...@yahoo.com...

Yah, OK. But the Best First Set, by definition, HAS to include a
Birdsong. And it ought to have a Shakedown. I haven't heard it, but a
search of Deadlists suggests 7/9/89 as a possibility. I was there the
next night, and can attest that the band was in good form that week.

GIANTS STADIUM, EAST RUTHERFORD NJ 7/9/89

Shakedown Street [13:01]
Jack Straw [5:39]
West L.A. Fadeaway [7:31]
Victim Or The Crime [7:12]
Brown Eyed Women [5:24]
Queen Jane Approximately [5:45]
Bird Song [11:17]

Bzl.

Aug 4, 2006, 12:23:09 PM8/4/06
"brew ziggins" <osm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

That was a *killer* set.

Neil X.

Aug 4, 2006, 12:50:58 PM8/4/06

> brew ziggins wrote:
>
> Yah, OK. But the Best First Set, by definition, HAS to include a
> Birdsong. And it ought to have a Shakedown. I haven't heard it, but a
> search of Deadlists suggests 7/9/89 as a possibility. I was there the
> next night, and can attest that the band was in good form that week.
>
> GIANTS STADIUM, EAST RUTHERFORD NJ 7/9/89
>
> Shakedown Street [13:01]
> Jack Straw [5:39]
> West L.A. Fadeaway [7:31]
> Victim Or The Crime [7:12]
> Brown Eyed Women [5:24]
> Queen Jane Approximately [5:45]
> Bird Song [11:17]

OK, I was at that show, and I've got the SBD. I don't have it mentally
tagged as anything special, but that could be user error. I'll give
it a listen tonight and report back.

Peace,
Neil X.

Jim McVey

Aug 4, 2006, 12:52:08 PM8/4/06

I always liked 3/25/93 Chapel Hill. It sounds better than it looks on paper.

Touch Of Grey >
Greatest Story Ever Told
So Many Roads
New Minglewood Blues
Lazy River Road
Mexicali Blues >
Big River
Friend Of The Devil
Eternity
Liberty

10 songs in the first set was quite lengthy in the 90s. Energy abounds.

I'm also partial to 4/2/90 Atlanta:

Feel Like A Stranger
Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo >
The Weight
Queen Jane Approximately
Easy To Love You
Brown Eyed Women
Let It Grow

Disclaimer: I was at both of these, so I may be a bit biased.

Jim

Jim McVey
jmc...@panix.com

diethy...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2006, 1:16:39 PM8/4/06

The first set from 9.12.81 meets this criteria, assuming the definition
of 'modern era' means Brent-era and on. Plus, the set has no Weir
blues numbers. It does have a Jed, though.

Shakedown Street [13:46] ; Greatest Story Ever Told [3:43] ; Friend Of
The Devil [8:35] > El Paso [5:07] ; Bird Song [10:34] > Cassidy [5:10]
; Tennessee Jed [7:51] > Looks Like Rain [8:23] ; China Cat Sunflower
[7:26] > I Know You Rider [5:20]

The oddity of 915.82's first set needs a shoutout too

Playing In The Band [8:41] > Crazy Fingers [9:33] > Space [1:33] >
Little Red Rooster [7:49] ; Dupree's Diamond Blues [6:08] ; Beat It On
Down The Line [2:57] ; It Must Have Been The Roses [5:20] > Playing In
The Band Jam [2:51] > Let It Grow [11:21] > Keep Your Day Job [4:58]

Steve Terry

Aug 4, 2006, 1:39:41 PM8/4/06

"brew ziggins" <osm...@gmail.com> wrote in message:

> I haven't heard it, but a
> search of Deadlists suggests 7/9/89 as a possibility. I was there the
> next night, and can attest that the band was in good form that week.

I was at 7/10/89 too. Man, that was one nasty thunderstorm that went through
the area that night.

Lfh

Aug 4, 2006, 1:52:25 PM8/4/06

brew ziggins wrote:
> Yah, OK. But the Best First Set, by definition, HAS to include a
> Birdsong. And it ought to have a Shakedown. I haven't heard it, but a
> search of Deadlists suggests 7/9/89 as a possibility.

Judging the quality of a set by what it did or didn't include in the
setlist is like judging a meal by reading the recipe.

Fred

JimK

Aug 4, 2006, 1:54:36 PM8/4/06

I was including Tons of Steel, although I suppose clunker may be a bit
harsh for that one. Just not a tune I'd get all excited about hearing.

JimK

JimK

Aug 4, 2006, 1:56:53 PM8/4/06

Ditto. I do believe we got a bit of a soaking during that first set,
which, although solid enough, was not particularly memorable.

JimK

brew ziggins

Aug 4, 2006, 1:57:27 PM8/4/06
Thus spake onetas...@yahoo.com...

True, to some extent. Have you ever tried chopped steel-belted radial
and gravel chili???

JimK

Aug 4, 2006, 1:58:05 PM8/4/06

I knew it rained at one of those shows.

JimK

Lfh

Aug 4, 2006, 2:23:27 PM8/4/06

Nice Jack Strawman, Brew. I'll see it and raise you with this one:
Enron looked good on paper.

Fred

DanPopp

Aug 4, 2006, 2:29:49 PM8/4/06
I was there too, and I remember being happy that I had a dry seat. I
also remember leaving from behind the stage (how I got there God only
knows) and having one of the roadies help out by shining a flashlight
as I stepped and slid down a wet very muddy hill. If it wasn't for him
I may still be buried in that dirt.

mjd

Aug 4, 2006, 2:37:52 PM8/4/06

true - that one's not setting the world on fire, but Marc makes a good
point about it being a great Brent moment, and it fits in Ok in that
set. The good stuff there is so nice that I always sort of overlooked
the clunkers (dough knees, for one, is to me a major buzzkill,
traditional notwithstanding).

Neil X.

Aug 4, 2006, 3:12:26 PM8/4/06

> JimK wrote:
>
> Ditto. I do believe we got a bit of a soaking during that first set,
> which, although solid enough, was not particularly memorable.

Well, it was the next night where the skies really opened up during set
1.

I just got a vivid memory flash from this set. I remember during the
opening Shakedown, which was indeed torrid, Deadheads streamed over the
walls in hordes in an effort to get down to the floor. Giants Stadium
security was monomaniacal--they would identify one interloper, run
after them no matter where they went, tackle them, and drag them off.
It happened over and over again. It was surreal, especially with
Shakedown playing.

This was a really good first set, but definitely not the best ever.

Peace,
Neil X.

Dave Kelly

Aug 4, 2006, 3:55:22 PM8/4/06
Madison Square Garden 9/21/82

Playin' In The Band->
Crazy Fingers->
Me & My Uncle->
Big River,
West L.A. Fadeaway,
Beat It On Down The Line->
Loser,
Looks Like Rain,
China Cat Sunflower->
I Know You Rider

Ya hadda be there.

JimK

Aug 4, 2006, 5:46:45 PM8/4/06

Of course, having a clunker or even two in a first set doesn't
automatically disqualify it from consideration. Even clunkers can be
really well played from time to time. In fact, that was always one of
the things I loved about the Dead. On any given night, they could take
a song that you normally had no use for and make it shine.

JimK

JimK

Aug 4, 2006, 5:49:13 PM8/4/06
On 4 Aug 2006 11:29:49 -0700, "DanPopp" <Dan...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I was there too, and I remember being happy that I had a dry seat. I
>also remember leaving from behind the stage (how I got there God only
>knows) and having one of the roadies help out by shining a flashlight
>as I stepped and slid down a wet very muddy hill. If it wasn't for him
>I may still be buried in that dirt.

You wouldn't have been the only person buried in Giants Stadium!

JimK

Lfh

Aug 4, 2006, 6:13:05 PM8/4/06

JimK wrote:

> Of course, having a clunker or even two in a first set doesn't

> automatically disqualify it from consideration.

LOL. You runnin' for office or something, JimK? ;)

> Even clunkers can be
> really well played from time to time. In fact, that was always one of
> the things I loved about the Dead. On any given night, they could take
> a song that you normally had no use for and make it shine.

Eh-zackly. Like yourself, I am no big fan of Don't Ease, but damn if
there isn't one from the 3-24-73 Spectrum show that sparkles like I
wouldn't have believed possible.

Which brings us to the question: which would you prefer, an A+ setlist
played at a C+ level or a show with a C+ setlist played at an A+
intensity?

Fred

mjd

Aug 4, 2006, 6:24:32 PM8/4/06

excellent question - for me, gotta be the latter, and for precisely the
reason Jim states.

JimK

Aug 4, 2006, 7:34:38 PM8/4/06
On 4 Aug 2006 15:13:05 -0700, "Lfh" <onetas...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Of course, having a clunker or even two in a first set doesn't
>> automatically disqualify it from consideration.
>
>LOL. You runnin' for office or something, JimK? ;)

Nah. But those two statements are not contradictory. CC Rider goes way
beyond being a simple clunker.

>> Even clunkers can be
>> really well played from time to time. In fact, that was always one of
>> the things I loved about the Dead. On any given night, they could take
>> a song that you normally had no use for and make it shine.
>
>Eh-zackly. Like yourself, I am no big fan of Don't Ease, but damn if
>there isn't one from the 3-24-73 Spectrum show that sparkles like I
>wouldn't have believed possible.
>
>Which brings us to the question: which would you prefer, an A+ setlist
>played at a C+ level or a show with a C+ setlist played at an A+
>intensity?
>
>Fred

That's an easy one. I'll take the A+ intensity level any day.

JimK

drmzspace

Aug 4, 2006, 8:21:54 PM8/4/06
let's not forget about 9/6/80 people.... focus

01 Alabama Getaway >
02 Greatest Story Ever Told
03 Sugaree
04 Me & My Uncle >
05 Mexicali Blues
06 Tennessee Jed
07 Feel Like A Stranger
08 Friend of the Devil
09 Far From Me
10 Little Red Rooster
11 China Cat Sunflower >
12 I Know You Rider >
13 Promised Land

although the MAMU, Jed, and Rooster might disqualify it - definately a
contender

drmz...

listening to Truckin Up To Buffalo - 7/4/89 and the 1st set definately
cooks too....

oh the pain of trying to decide

Brad Greer

Aug 4, 2006, 9:38:51 PM8/4/06
On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 19:55:22 GMT, "Dave Kelly" <swee...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

My second show, and I had little appreciation at the time of how
special it was.

Bzl.

Aug 4, 2006, 10:07:07 PM8/4/06

"JimK" <jkezwind@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message

"That show was great! Even Minglewood (or Rooster) was hot!" I must've
heard this 50 times.

Bzl.

Aug 4, 2006, 10:08:21 PM8/4/06

"Dave Kelly" <swee...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Just a cheap imitation of Cap Centre from the week before.

JimK

Aug 4, 2006, 10:30:01 PM8/4/06
On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 22:07:07 -0400, "Bzl." <bzl...@nelsoncable.com>
wrote:

Hey, I saw a show at Nassau in '92, I believe, that was so bad the
best song of the night was Minglewood. Really.

JimK

Pepe Papon

Aug 5, 2006, 1:30:09 AM8/5/06

To me, there's little doubt that the correct answer is 3/7/81:

Grateful Dead
03/07/81
Cole Field House, University of Maryland
College Park, MD

Alabama Getaway [5:49] >
Greatest Story Ever Told [3:58]
Dire Wolf [3:17]
Me & My Uncle [2:57] >
Big River [5:45]
Candyman [7:02] >
C.C. Rider [8:20]
Jack-A-Roe [6:35]
Passenger [4:44]
Bird Song [17:27] >
Looks Like Rain [7:55] >
Deal [9:52#]

If you haven't heard it, you must.

The runner up would be the legendary 10/15/83 Hartford show.
--
~ Seth Jackson

MySpace URL - http://www.myspace.com/sethjacksonsong
Songwriting and Music Business Info: http://www.sethjackson.net

Pepe Papon

Aug 5, 2006, 1:32:32 AM8/5/06
On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 12:00:59 -0400, brew ziggins <osm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Yah, OK. But the Best First Set, by definition, HAS to include a
>Birdsong.

Then you really need to check out 3/7/81. Not only does it have a
Bird Song, it has the longest and arguably best Bird Song ever played.

Bill

Aug 5, 2006, 4:13:29 AM8/5/06

<diethy...@gmail.com> wrote

> The first set from 9.12.81 meets this criteria, assuming the definition
> of 'modern era' means Brent-era and on. Plus, the set has no Weir
> blues numbers. It does have a Jed, though.
>
> Shakedown Street [13:46] ; Greatest Story Ever Told [3:43] ; Friend Of
> The Devil [8:35] > El Paso [5:07] ; Bird Song [10:34] > Cassidy [5:10]
> ; Tennessee Jed [7:51] > Looks Like Rain [8:23] ; China Cat Sunflower
> [7:26] > I Know You Rider [5:20]

Yep, that is a killer first set. Don't know about best ever - no such thing
IMO - but it's as good as any other one.

Bill

Bzl.

Aug 5, 2006, 7:33:07 AM8/5/06

"Pepe Papon" <a...@mindspring.invalid> wrote in message

> To me, there's little doubt that the correct answer is 3/7/81:
>
> Grateful Dead
> 03/07/81
> Cole Field House, University of Maryland
> College Park, MD
>
> Alabama Getaway [5:49] >
> Greatest Story Ever Told [3:58]
> Dire Wolf [3:17]
> Me & My Uncle [2:57] >
> Big River [5:45]
> Candyman [7:02] >
> C.C. Rider [8:20]
> Jack-A-Roe [6:35]
> Passenger [4:44]
> Bird Song [17:27] >
> Looks Like Rain [7:55] >
> Deal [9:52#]
>

> If you haven't heard it, you must.
>
> The runner up would be the legendary 10/15/83 Hartford show.
> --
> ~ Seth Jackson

You misspelled 10/12/83 MSG, NYC. The Minglewood is better (and the Cassidy
> Cumberland is equal to the BigRR > LIG from 10/15).

Disc 1 66:33.39
-Set 1-

1.Cold Rain and Snow 7:15.34
2.Minglewood Blues 9:24.71
2.Ramblin Rose 7:12.32
4.Brother Esau 6:44.39
5.It Must Have Been the Roses 6:42.69
6.Cassidy 6:09.16
7.Cumberland Blues 9:51.54
8.Looks Like Rain-> 8:34.30
9.Might as Well 4:34.70

JimK

Aug 5, 2006, 10:02:05 AM8/5/06
On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 07:33:07 -0400, "Bzl." <bzl...@nelsoncable.com>
wrote:

Was there extended tuning before Cumberland? I don't recall the song
itself being anywhere near ten minutes long. Same for Minglewood.
Guess I'll have to to give that show a listen.

JimK

Bzl.

Aug 5, 2006, 10:32:47 AM8/5/06

"JimK" <jkezwind@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message

No tuning at all... I'd give it a ">". Yes, it's nearly 10 minutes; pretty
sure it's the longest Cumberland they ever did. (I'm not saying the
Minglewood was exceptional, just somewhat better than Hartford.)

bradish

Aug 5, 2006, 12:57:41 PM8/5/06

"Pepe Papon" <a...@mindspring.invalid> wrote in message

> To me, there's little doubt that the correct answer is 3/7/81:
>
> Grateful Dead
> 03/07/81
> Cole Field House, University of Maryland
> College Park, MD
>
> Alabama Getaway [5:49] >
> Greatest Story Ever Told [3:58]
> Dire Wolf [3:17]
> Me & My Uncle [2:57] >
> Big River [5:45]
> Candyman [7:02] >
> C.C. Rider [8:20]
> Jack-A-Roe [6:35]
> Passenger [4:44]
> Bird Song [17:27] >
> Looks Like Rain [7:55] >
> Deal [9:52#]
>

> If you haven't heard it, you must

05/01/81
Hampton, VA

Alabama Getaway->
Promised Land,
Friend Of The Devil->

Me & My Uncle->
Big River,

Althea->
Little Red Rooster,
Tennessee Jed->
Let It Grow->
Deal

Julia

Aug 5, 2006, 2:40:42 PM8/5/06
I can't say I've heard them all, but a few spans of time I like are:
4/12/83
9/15/85
3/5/92

Now this got me wanting to play 4/12 so I dug it out and find that I
have disc 2 & 3, but am missing disc 1. It's been awhile since I
listened to this so the search is on for Alabama Getaway to Loser!

Pepe Papon

Aug 6, 2006, 2:46:32 AM8/6/06
On 4 Aug 2006 10:16:39 -0700, diethy...@gmail.com wrote:

>The first set from 9.12.81 meets this criteria, assuming the definition
>of 'modern era' means Brent-era and on. Plus, the set has no Weir
>blues numbers. It does have a Jed, though.

You say this as though having a Jed were a *bad* thing.

Pepe Papon

Aug 6, 2006, 2:48:15 AM8/6/06
On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 22:08:21 -0400, "Bzl." <bzl...@nelsoncable.com>
wrote:

Not really. I thought this Playin->Crazy Fingers was better. In
fact, this was very possibly the best post '76 Crazy Fingers I've
heard.

Neil X.

Aug 6, 2006, 11:08:37 AM8/6/06

> Seth wrote:
>
> You say this as though having a Jed were a *bad* thing.

Well, I can understand the sentiment. In the late 80s, they just
played the hell out of Jed. I saw a Jed in almost every show I went to
in that era. It's like the Sailor/Saints from the late 70s/early
80s--people who saw a lot of shows then just dreaded hearing another
one.

Peace,
Neil X.

Kelly Humphries

Aug 6, 2006, 11:40:42 AM8/6/06
Also sprach JimK <jkezwind@comcastDOTnet>:

> Of course, having a clunker or even two in a first set doesn't
> automatically disqualify it from consideration. Even clunkers can be
> really well played from time to time. In fact, that was always one of
> the things I loved about the Dead. On any given night, they could take
> a song that you normally had no use for and make it shine.

Sounds like my cue to shill for 4/26/83 again! It was at least
geographically appropriate for Bob to show his appreciation for "those
Philly Phillies."

I would posit that one of the purposes of a Good First Set is to prime
the pump, get you raring to go for that second set, and this one does
the trick. You can read more about the second (and first) set in last
year's thread, "Shows Full Of Phil"...

Shakedown Street [14:09] ; New Minglewood Blues [8:09] ; They Love
Each Other [8:16] ; Me And My Uncle [3:24] > Mexicali Blues [5:09] ;
Maybe You Know [4:58] ; West L.A. Fadeaway [7:31] ; My Brother Esau
[5:16] ; It Must Have Been The Roses [5:22] ; Let It Grow [12:28]

"One of my favorite Shakedowns" -- Gordon Sharpless

Bzl.

Aug 6, 2006, 1:48:24 PM8/6/06

"Neil X." <nei...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Absolutely. It wasn't until Lazy Liver that there was a Jerry song I wanted
to hear less than Jed.

mjd

Aug 6, 2006, 6:21:27 PM8/6/06

I was at that show - it was a good one. they always cranked it up a
notch at the old Spee-rectum. Hadn't been to that joint for quite some
time, until last night for Van the Man. He still is, truly, the man.
Is there anyone else around whose voice just keeps getting better with
age?? He just sounded awesome...

dave

Aug 6, 2006, 10:17:08 PM8/6/06

Not really, it sounds great on disc, too.

I've always been partial to 6/25/91, Bonner Springs, Kansas
Jack Straw, Sugaree, Walkin' Blues, Candyman, Memphis Blues, Tennessee
Jed, Music.

It's not so much what they played but how they played it.

Pepe Papon

Aug 7, 2006, 3:35:03 AM8/7/06

4/26/83 was one of my favorite '80s shows, but if you're going to
nominate this one, you really need to consider 4/20/84. The main
reason I hadn't mentioned it earlier is that it's a little on the
short side. But it's very, very good, and it contains the Let It Grow
to end all Let It Grows.

Pepe Papon

Aug 7, 2006, 3:37:48 AM8/7/06

But Jed is a classic Dead song. I always felt like Bob overplayed
songs because he didn't have a deep enough repertoire. Jerry, OTOH,
played certain songs a lot because he just loved them and never got
tired of them.

Bzl.

Aug 7, 2006, 8:22:16 AM8/7/06

"mjd" <mdeve...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Yeah, great show last night (Sunday) in NoVA. Killer 12-piece band. Van is
one of the 2 best white male scat singers ever. (Mel Torme being the
other...). Never have 90 minutes gone by so fast... I was amazed at what a
great sax player Van is.

Ed Chapin

Aug 7, 2006, 9:57:52 AM8/7/06

Pepe Papon wrote:
> On 6 Aug 2006 08:08:37 -0700, "Neil X." <nei...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> >> Seth wrote:
> >>
> >> You say this as though having a Jed were a *bad* thing.
> >

> >Well, I can understand the sentiment. In the late 80s, they just
> >played the hell out of Jed. I saw a Jed in almost every show I went to
> >in that era. It's like the Sailor/Saints from the late 70s/early
> >80s--people who saw a lot of shows then just dreaded hearing another
> >one.
> >
> >Peace,
> >Neil X.
>
> But Jed is a classic Dead song. I always felt like Bob overplayed
> songs because he didn't have a deep enough repertoire. Jerry, OTOH,
> played certain songs a lot because he just loved them and never got
> tired of them.
> --
> ~ Seth Jackson

When properly prepared, Tennnessee Jed was a fine 1st Set offering!

Ed

Ed Chapin

Aug 7, 2006, 10:04:16 AM8/7/06

Pepe Papon wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 22:08:21 -0400, "Bzl." <bzl...@nelsoncable.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"Dave Kelly" <swee...@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> >> Madison Square Garden 9/21/82
> >>
> >> Playin' In The Band->
> >> Crazy Fingers->
> >> Me & My Uncle->
> >> Big River,
> >> West L.A. Fadeaway,
> >> Beat It On Down The Line->
> >> Loser,
> >> Looks Like Rain,
> >> China Cat Sunflower->
> >> I Know You Rider
> >>
> >> Ya hadda be there.
> >>

> >Just a cheap imitation of Cap Centre from the week before.
> >

> Not really. I thought this Playin->Crazy Fingers was better. In
> fact, this was very possibly the best post '76 Crazy Fingers I've
> heard.
> --
> ~ Seth Jackson

I heard a really bad AUD copy of this way back when, and was so turned
off that I never revisited it. Perhaps I should?

BTW, for post '76, I really like the Crazy Fingers from 7/2/88. Of
course, that one opens the 2nd Set :-)

Ed

Ed Chapin

Aug 7, 2006, 10:08:25 AM8/7/06

Bzl. wrote:

> You misspelled 10/12/83 MSG, NYC. The Minglewood is better (and the Cassidy
> > Cumberland is equal to the BigRR > LIG from 10/15).
>
> Disc 1 66:33.39
> -Set 1-
>
> 1.Cold Rain and Snow 7:15.34
> 2.Minglewood Blues 9:24.71
> 2.Ramblin Rose 7:12.32
> 4.Brother Esau 6:44.39
> 5.It Must Have Been the Roses 6:42.69
> 6.Cassidy 6:09.16
> 7.Cumberland Blues 9:51.54
> 8.Looks Like Rain-> 8:34.30
> 9.Might as Well 4:34.70

Of course, you neglected to mention the fact that any 1st Set
containing Minglewood is, by definition, disqualified.

Ed

Ed Chapin

Aug 7, 2006, 10:20:17 AM8/7/06

Pepe Papon wrote:

> 4/26/83 was one of my favorite '80s shows, but if you're going to
> nominate this one, you really need to consider 4/20/84. The main
> reason I hadn't mentioned it earlier is that it's a little on the
> short side. But it's very, very good, and it contains the Let It Grow
> to end all Let It Grows.
> --
> ~ Seth Jackson

Let It Grow was definitely not better in the 70's.

Ed

Ed Chapin

Aug 7, 2006, 10:28:03 AM8/7/06

JimK wrote:
> Afte listening to it once again tonight, I'd have to vote for 7/19/89.
> The setlist looks innocent enough:
>
> Hell In A Bucket
> Sugaree
> Mama Tried->
> Mexicali Blues
> Althea
> Victim Or The Crime->
> West L.A. Fadeaway
> Desolation Row->
> Deal
>
> Sugaree is really sweet, and the Althea is simply stunning. Victim is
> not yet fully developed, but full of promise. The West L.A. is spot on
> and stretched out to the max. I can't think of a finer Desolation Row;
> Jerry's leads soar and his backup vocals are perfect accents. And
> Deal? The jam before the final chorus starts slowly and builds, like a
> skyscraper going up and doesn't stop until the 81st floor. Then comes
> the big finish, with a final crescendo that had to leave the stage
> smoldering. If there's a better Deal than this one, somebody please
> tell me what it is. And to top it all off, the DSBD is exquisite.
>
> JimK

What is a "modern" 1st Set?

Is it:

a) post-hiatus?
b) an 80's show (4/22/79 - 6/23/90)?
c) post-Brent?
d) post-Bruce?

Ed

Jeff

Aug 7, 2006, 10:27:51 AM8/7/06

You misspelled "Might as Well"

Bzl.

Aug 7, 2006, 10:38:50 AM8/7/06

"Jeff" <Im.so.Huc...@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message

??? Might As Well increases the odds of it qualifying; it does not
disqualify. (This version is one of the greatest versions of this great
song.)

Jeff

Aug 7, 2006, 11:14:08 AM8/7/06

Love the riffs, the verses are fun...I'd rather listen to Grapefruit Ed doing "Day Job"
than hear the chorus of this though...instant show stopper for me

Lfh

Aug 7, 2006, 3:40:10 PM8/7/06

Pepe Papon wrote:
> 4/26/83 was one of my favorite '80s shows, but if you're going to
> nominate this one, you really need to consider 4/20/84. The main
> reason I hadn't mentioned it earlier is that it's a little on the
> short side. But it's very, very good, and it contains the Let It Grow
> to end all Let It Grows.

Everything you say is true, but do not forget the Scarlet>Fire as well,
which is one for the ages. For that matter, the whole damn run,
4/19/20/21/84 is one of the very best. All three shows have many high
points that are simply grab-ya-by-the-throat-and-shake ferocious.

Fred

JimK

Aug 7, 2006, 3:40:34 PM8/7/06
On 7 Aug 2006 07:20:17 -0700, "Ed Chapin" <edcha...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

But it was still pretty damned good!

JimK

JimK

Aug 7, 2006, 3:48:19 PM8/7/06
On 7 Aug 2006 07:28:03 -0700, "Ed Chapin" <edcha...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

I guess I arbitrarily consider the "modern" era to begin with the time
the second sets started including the Drums/Space segment, pretty much
coinciding with the Brent era. I suppose an argument could be made
that the modern era began with the post-hiatus period, too.

JimK

LP

Aug 7, 2006, 6:12:37 PM8/7/06

I love reading that. I was at that run of shows, and the best part was
on 4/20, some Deadheads from our college campus in Newark Del hired 2
charter busses - big ones with the head (toilet) in the back - and each
bus had a keg on ice. Since no one was driving, the doses went out
freely. Inside we raged along with everyone else - I'll never forget
that Scarlet-Fire.
After the show was over, we stumbled out the doors of the Philly CC -
and like an apparition - our busses were waiting at the curb just a few
steps away with cold beer-a-flowin'. People gawked as we boarded them,
laughing and howling that howl that could only come from a Grateful
Dead concert.

LP

rockindoc

Aug 7, 2006, 8:19:52 PM8/7/06

Not really, it sounds great on disc, too.

I've always been partial to 6/25/91, Bonner Springs, Kansas
Jack Straw, Sugaree, Walkin' Blues, Candyman, Memphis Blues, Tennessee
Jed, Music.

It's not so much what they played but how they played it

That's the one right there!!

Matt

Pepe Papon

Aug 7, 2006, 8:35:52 PM8/7/06
On 7 Aug 2006 06:57:52 -0700, "Ed Chapin" <edcha...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

It's one of the songs that originally hooked my on the Dead.

Pepe Papon

Aug 7, 2006, 8:38:02 PM8/7/06

It blows my mind how many people hat Dead classics like Jed, Might as
Well, and Don't Ease.

Then again, I'm not a huge fan of Candyman.

Jeff

Aug 7, 2006, 10:47:36 PM8/7/06

<boggle>

Y'know Seth, between the two of us, I'm pretty sure we like every Dead song they performed :)

Pepe Papon

Aug 8, 2006, 1:14:16 AM8/8/06

Probably, as I'm one of the few who liked "Corrina", "Eternity", and
"Liberty", and didn't mind "Samba" at all.

mike flugennock

Aug 8, 2006, 8:11:10 AM8/8/06
Ed Chapin wrote:

>>>...In the late 80s, they just

>>>played the hell out of Jed. I saw a Jed in almost every show I went to
>>>in that era. It's like the Sailor/Saints from the late 70s/early
>>>80s--people who saw a lot of shows then just dreaded hearing another
>>>one.

Hell, I really missed Sailor/Saint when it faded from the sets around
'85 or so. I first heard it at Hampton in May of '79, iirc, and I
remember at the time being really excited at something I hadn't heard
before because it seemed to signal that another album was in the works.

>>But Jed is a classic Dead song. I always felt like Bob overplayed
>>songs because he didn't have a deep enough repertoire. Jerry, OTOH,
>>played certain songs a lot because he just loved them and never got
>>tired of them.
>>--
>> ~ Seth Jackson
>>

> When properly prepared, Tennnessee Jed was a fine 1st Set offering!

Damn' straight.
(cues up his "house copy" of RFK 07.13.89)

--

.

"Though I could not caution all, I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!"

--grateful dead.
Mike Flugennock, flugennock at sinkers dot org
"Mikey'zine": dubya dubya dubya dot sinkers dot org

tom_...@hotmail.com

Aug 8, 2006, 9:30:10 AM8/8/06
I have a two way tie:

4/6/82 6 inches of snow in april in philly- Cold Rain and Snow opener
Cold Rain & Snow-> Promised Land, Candyman-> CC Rider, Brown Eyed
Women, Mama Tried-> Mexicali Blues, Big Railroad Blues, Looks Like
Rain, Jack A Roe, It's All Over Now, Might As Well

Innocent looking- but the boys are in high form this tour- carry over
from a great 81- and the songs just sparkle- I suggest strongly the aud
on LMA- the interaction from the crowd makes this electrifying- The
second set of that show is also stellar

4/1/88 April Fools full moon show at the meadowlands- Now that I think
about it, I like this one just a little better than my first mentioned:

Mississippi Half Step-> Jack Straw-> To Lay Me Down, Ballad Of A Thin
Man, When Push Comes To Shove, Minglewood Blues, Cumberland Blues, Deal

Great triple threat opening, with straw landing into the second Lay me
Down in 5 years (it was busted out a few days earlier in Hampton) One
of just three ballad of the thin mans ever played- and you want to talk
about a Deal? I hardly ever hear this one mentioned- but it is for
real- No way to describe- you just have to listen

Ed Chapin

Aug 8, 2006, 9:54:55 AM8/8/06

A most logical dividing line. Of course, regarding nomenclature,
"mid-Cenozoic" might be a bit more appropriate than "modern."

Ed

Neil X.

Aug 8, 2006, 10:19:03 AM8/8/06

> Seth wrote:
>
> It blows my mind how many people hat Dead classics like Jed, Might as
> Well, and Don't Ease.

Well, it's true, I personally will often hit the track-forward button
when Jed, Dough Knees, or Candyman comes on. Deal, too. It really is
just a matter of hearing those songs far too often with far too little
difference between versions to make them interesting.

But that's what makes the Dead so interesting--they appealed to so many
people in so many different ways. The songs that I most loved to
hear--TOO, Help, Let It Grow, Birsdong, Wharf Rat, Cassidy, Eyes, etc.,
were all major vehicles for jamming. I have friends that would use the
Other One as a bathroom break and were ecstatic when the cowboy songs
were played. There's something for everyone to love, and hate, about
the Grateful Dead.

Peace,
Neil X.

Rogues Island's finest

Aug 8, 2006, 10:25:17 AM8/8/06

I hate that they're gone.

Mark

bill.ro...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2006, 2:58:46 PM8/8/06

JimK wrote:
> Afte listening to it once again tonight, I'd have to vote for 7/19/89.
> The setlist looks innocent enough:
>
> Hell In A Bucket
> Sugaree
> Mama Tried->
> Mexicali Blues
> Althea
> Victim Or The Crime->
> West L.A. Fadeaway
> Desolation Row->
> Deal

I always thougfht 6/28/92 was a nice one.

Help/Slip/Franklins
Wang Dang doodle
Tom Thumbs
To Lay Me Down
El Paso
New Speedway
Smokestack

JimK

Aug 8, 2006, 3:22:21 PM8/8/06

Nice setlist, but great shows, or even sets, were few and far between
in 92. Not to say that this might not be one of them.

JimK

Pepe Papon

Aug 8, 2006, 7:56:12 PM8/8/06
On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 08:11:10 -0400, mike flugennock
<flvg3...@stinkers.org> wrote:

>Hell, I really missed Sailor/Saint when it faded from the sets around
>'85 or so. I first heard it at Hampton in May of '79, iirc, and I
>remember at the time being really excited at something I hadn't heard
>before because it seemed to signal that another album was in the works.
>

>>>But Jed is a classic Dead song. I always felt like Bob overplayed
>>>songs because he didn't have a deep enough repertoire. Jerry, OTOH,
>>>played certain songs a lot because he just loved them and never got
>>>tired of them.
>>>--
>>> ~ Seth Jackson
>>>

>> When properly prepared, Tennnessee Jed was a fine 1st Set offering!
>
>Damn' straight.
>(cues up his "house copy" of RFK 07.13.89)

Check out just about any version from Spring of '77. Simply great.
Also, the pre-hiatus versions were generally very good, too.

Oh, no! Did I just say,in not so many words, that Tennessee Jed was
better in the '70s?

Pepe Papon

Aug 8, 2006, 7:59:13 PM8/8/06
On 8 Aug 2006 07:19:03 -0700, "Neil X." <nei...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Seth wrote:
>>
>> It blows my mind how many people hat Dead classics like Jed, Might as
>> Well, and Don't Ease.
>

>Well, it's true, I personally will often hit the track-forward button
>when Jed, Dough Knees, or Candyman comes on. Deal, too. It really is
>just a matter of hearing those songs far too often with far too little
>difference between versions to make them interesting.

Jed had some great ending jams. Deal became a jamming song during the
'80s, although that particular jam wasn't one of my favorites.

>But that's what makes the Dead so interesting--they appealed to so many
>people in so many different ways. The songs that I most loved to
>hear--TOO, Help, Let It Grow, Birsdong, Wharf Rat, Cassidy, Eyes, etc.,
>were all major vehicles for jamming. I have friends that would use the
>Other One as a bathroom break

Now, that's just plain wrong. Although I have to admit that,
somewhere around 1990 or so, Jerry seemed to lose the ability to jam
creatively on this song. Most versions of The Other One from the
final 5 or 6 years don't do much for me.

Pepe Papon

Aug 8, 2006, 8:02:35 PM8/8/06
On 8 Aug 2006 06:30:10 -0700, tom_...@hotmail.com wrote:

>4/1/88 April Fools full moon show at the meadowlands- Now that I think
>about it, I like this one just a little better than my first mentioned:
>
>Mississippi Half Step-> Jack Straw-> To Lay Me Down, Ballad Of A Thin
>Man, When Push Comes To Shove, Minglewood Blues, Cumberland Blues, Deal

The boyz were certainly in fine form that night. One of my favorite
shows of the late '80s. That Deal is one of the best I've heard.

BTW, the second set doesn't suck at all.

mike flugennock

Aug 9, 2006, 8:11:22 AM8/9/06
Ed Chapin wrote:
> JimK wrote:
>
>>On 7 Aug 2006 07:28:03 -0700, "Ed Chapin" <edcha...@hotmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>What is a "modern" 1st Set?
>>>
>>>Is it:
>>>
>>>a) post-hiatus?
>>>b) an 80's show (4/22/79 - 6/23/90)?
>>>c) post-Brent?
>>>d) post-Bruce?
>>>
>>>Ed
>>
>>I guess I arbitrarily consider the "modern" era to begin with the time
>>the second sets started including the Drums/Space segment, pretty much
>>coinciding with the Brent era...

Yeah, that'd be about where I'd put it: 1979 onward, about the time I
started hearing those tight, one-hour first sets and second sets with
Drumspace in the middle -- although, in that Early Modern Era, the Drums
and Space segments were still clearly distinguishable from each other.

Alternately, I'd place Modern Era from the release of "Go To Heaven", 1980.

So, given that, I'd have to nominate Merriweather Post Pavilion
07.01.85. The version of "Let It Grow" that evening really "stands up
and grows some hair", to paraphrase Bobby (Palo Alto 02.09.73).

mike flugennock

Aug 9, 2006, 8:13:06 AM8/9/06
Pepe Papon wrote:
> On 8 Aug 2006 07:19:03 -0700, "Neil X." <nei...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>>Seth wrote:
>>>
>>>It blows my mind how many people hat Dead classics like Jed, Might as
>>>Well, and Don't Ease.
>>
>>Well, it's true, I personally will often hit the track-forward button
>>when Jed, Dough Knees, or Candyman comes on. Deal, too. It really is
>>just a matter of hearing those songs far too often with far too little
>>difference between versions to make them interesting.
>

> Jed had some great ending jams. Deal became a jamming song during the
> '80s, although that particular jam wasn't one of my favorites.

I particularly remember them using a hot "Deal" jam to burn down the
Capital Centre on 10.11.94.

Ed Chapin

Aug 9, 2006, 2:18:03 PM8/9/06

mike flugennock wrote:
> Pepe Papon wrote:

> >>Well, it's true, I personally will often hit the track-forward button
> >>when Jed, Dough Knees, or Candyman comes on. Deal, too. It really is
> >>just a matter of hearing those songs far too often with far too little
> >>difference between versions to make them interesting.
> >

> > Jed had some great ending jams. Deal became a jamming song during the
> > '80s, although that particular jam wasn't one of my favorites.
>
> I particularly remember them using a hot "Deal" jam to burn down the
> Capital Centre on 10.11.94.

The one that always gets my toe tappin' in a serious way is 10/9/82. I
am usually quite big on lyrics too. Jerry muffed a few lines on this
one, but it mattered not :-)

Ed

brew ziggins

Aug 9, 2006, 3:02:11 PM8/9/06
Thus spake edcha...@hotmail.com...

> The one that always gets my toe tappin' in a serious way is 10/9/82. I
> am usually quite big on lyrics too. Jerry muffed a few lines on this
> one, but it mattered not :-)

Aye, tharrr's a good one, matey!!!! Excellent MNS>Deal

Andrew Murawa

Aug 9, 2006, 5:12:51 PM8/9/06

>> JimK wrote:
>>
>> Afte listening to it once again tonight, I'd have to vote for 7/19/89.
>

> I think 10/31/91 gets my vote. That was the Bill Graham tribute show:
>
> Help On The Way >
> Slipknot! >
> Franklin's Tower
> Little Red Rooster
> Loser
> Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
> Let It Grow
>
> Peace,
> Neil X.

And I'll throw in a vote for another '91 show, despite the presence of a CC
Rider... 9/10/91 w/ Branford:

Shakedown Street
C C Rider >
Train To Cry
Black Throated Wind
High Time
Cassidy
Deal

In fact, this is about the only CC Rider I can sit through...

Andrew Murawa

Aug 9, 2006, 5:18:05 PM8/9/06

> On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 20:47:36 -0600, Jeff
> <Im.so.Huc...@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>
>>Pepe Papon wrote:
>>>
>>> It blows my mind how many people hat Dead classics like Jed, Might as
>>> Well, and Don't Ease.
>>>
>>> Then again, I'm not a huge fan of Candyman.
>>
>><boggle>
>>
>>Y'know Seth, between the two of us, I'm pretty sure we like every Dead
>>song they performed :)
>
> Probably, as I'm one of the few who liked "Corrina", "Eternity", and
> "Liberty",

Man, I was so with you up until...

> and didn't mind "Samba" at all.

Yikes... I think I preferred Way to Go Home...

Jeff

Aug 9, 2006, 5:35:28 PM8/9/06
Andrew Murawa wrote:
> And I'll throw in a vote for another '91 show, despite the presence of a CC
> Rider... 9/10/91 w/ Branford:
>
> Shakedown Street
> C C Rider >
> Train To Cry
> Black Throated Wind
> High Time
> Cassidy
> Deal
>
> In fact, this is about the only CC Rider I can sit through...

If I recall, the transition into it is Just Exactly Perfect

Lfh

Aug 9, 2006, 5:57:07 PM8/9/06

Andrew Murawa wrote:
> And I'll throw in a vote for another '91 show, despite the presence of a CC
> Rider... 9/10/91 w/ Branford:
>
> Shakedown Street
> C C Rider >
> Train To Cry
> Black Throated Wind
> High Time
> Cassidy
> Deal
>
> In fact, this is about the only CC Rider I can sit through...

Here's a doozy that everyone should know about, the CC notwithstanding,
as it's a ripper right out of the box with an insane MNS and maybe the
second best BRB (after the 10/15/83 stunner), and the aud is much
better than the sbd, imo.

10/21/83
Worcester, MA

The Music Never Stopped
Loser
C C Rider
Cumberland Blues
Cassidy
Ramble On Rose
My Brother Esau
Big Railroad Blues
The Promised Land

Fred

Peter_Wimsey

Aug 9, 2006, 6:06:52 PM8/9/06

One thing to keep in mind about first sets in '91 and '92 is that
Jerry's voice was very clean. I think MSG '92, although pretty
uneventful as shows go, had consistently great singing from Jerry.
Really came out in a Comes a Time from in there somewhere. Not sure if
he was cutting down on the smokes or what...

JimK

Aug 9, 2006, 6:34:37 PM8/9/06
On 9 Aug 2006 15:06:52 -0700, "Peter_Wimsey" <nic...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

There were no MSG shows in '92 (Fall tour was cancelled). You're
probably thinking of '93.

JimK

Peter_Wimsey

Aug 9, 2006, 6:41:59 PM8/9/06

JimK wrote:
> There were no MSG shows in '92 (Fall tour was cancelled). You're
> probably thinking of '93.
>
> JimK

Oh yeah! your right. Fall '93 MSG. Boring (to me), but Jerry's singing
was great!

Pepe Papon

Aug 10, 2006, 3:37:48 AM8/10/06

HRYK

Pepe Papon

Aug 10, 2006, 3:41:04 AM8/10/06
On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 14:18:05 -0700, "Andrew Murawa"
<amurawas...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Pepe Papon" <a...@mindspring.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 20:47:36 -0600, Jeff
>> <Im.so.Huc...@spamgourmet.com> wrote:

>>><boggle>
>>>
>>>Y'know Seth, between the two of us, I'm pretty sure we like every Dead
>>>song they performed :)
>>
>> Probably, as I'm one of the few who liked "Corrina", "Eternity", and
>> "Liberty",
>
>Man, I was so with you up until...

I don't get why people dislike these songs. The two Bobby tunes were
both jam vehicles with cool vibes to them. The latter was a nice
uptempo Jerry tune. Problem???

>> and didn't mind "Samba" at all.
>
>Yikes... I think I preferred Way to Go Home...

Samba was a cool groove. It was different from anything else in the
band's repertoire. It was another nice vehicle for jamming.

Way to Go Home was OK, but the melody was kinda boring.

Pepe Papon

Aug 10, 2006, 3:42:03 AM8/10/06
On 9 Aug 2006 11:18:03 -0700, "Ed Chapin" <edcha...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

The two hottest Deals that I'm aware of are 3/7/81 and 4/1/88.

mjd

Aug 10, 2006, 7:58:56 AM8/10/06

Pepe Papon wrote:

> The two hottest Deals that I'm aware of are 3/7/81 and 4/1/88.
> --

the Deal from the Shoreline simulcast 6/21/89 has to rank right up
there. It is really a smoker.

mike flugennock

Aug 10, 2006, 8:55:17 AM8/10/06

Yeah, I've noticed that also...from a low point at MSG 09.24.88 where
Garcia barely makes it through "Ramble On Rose" -- he's fucking croaking
by the end -- and ends his introduction of Mick Taylor with a zesty
round of hacking, to a late-career high (imho) at RFK 06.20.92, where he
sounds pleasantly "smoky", husky and mature, as opposed to Camel-ravaged.

mike flugennock

Aug 10, 2006, 9:05:39 AM8/10/06
Andrew Murawa wrote:
> "Pepe Papon" <a...@mindspring.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 20:47:36 -0600, Jeff
>><Im.so.Huc...@spamgourmet.com> wrote:

>>><boggle>
>>>
>>>Y'know Seth, between the two of us, I'm pretty sure we like every Dead
>>>song they performed :)
>>
>>Probably, as I'm one of the few who liked "Corrina", "Eternity", and
>>"Liberty",
>
> Man, I was so with you up until...
>
>>and didn't mind "Samba" at all.
>
> Yikes... I think I preferred Way to Go Home...

Y'know, I'd love to get my hands on a TARDIS (in the form of a '72
Beetle) so that I could go back to a parking lot circa 1973 or '74, so
-- besides the obvious reason -- listen to all the Heads bitching about
"Tennessee Jed" or "Ramble On Rose" or "Here Comes Sunshine" and about
how they just weren't writing 'em like "Mountains Of The Moon" anymore.

That said, the last time I heard it (RFK 06.25.95) I thought "Samba" was
shaping up to become a real nice liquid jam launch pad, kind of like
"Feel Like A Stranger", which I also wasn't real crazy about at first,
but by the time I heard it at RFK in '90, it had become a nice funky jam
vehicle.

"Liberty"? For me in '93-'95, perhaps the next "US Blues". Yeah, I
really loved _that_ one, too. I stayed put with the D6 still rolling for
a "US Blues" encore. So there.

It is loading more messages.