Que: DP 35 / 8-6-71 AUD

jwad...@yahoo.com

Jun 30, 2005, 11:52:16 AM6/30/05
DP 35 is pleasant to hear as I am a sucker for anything previously
uncirculated. Frankly, this release would have been MUCH less exciting
to me had it been previously circulated. The 8/6/71 portion on disc
four starts out with the AUD version and fades into the surviving SBD
reel. The credits in the liner notes for the AUD portion are for
Harvey and Craig something (don't have it in front of me right now to
verify last names). The AUD that I have claims to have been recorded
by Rob Bertrando. Is this the same source? It sounds the same. Are
Harvey, Craig and Rob part of a team or has credit been improperly
given or are they different sources and, if so, where can I get my
hands on the Harvey/Craig source?

jwad...@yahoo.com

Jun 30, 2005, 4:52:55 PM6/30/05
Anyone . . . Bueller . . .Bueller

tone...@rockisland.com

Jul 10, 2005, 11:09:35 PM7/10/05
"The credits in the liner notes for the AUD portion are for
Harvey and Craig something (don't have it in front of me right now to
verify last names). The AUD that I have claims to have been recorded
by Rob Bertrando. Is this the same source? "

Yes....

Harv Kaslow, Craig Todd, and Rob were friends living in the Claremont,
CA, area, and possesed (I think it was Craig's) a Sony 770 stereo 7"
reel-to-reel which they put to marvelous use in the early 70's. They
also used a small Uher reel-to-reel before they sprung for the Sony,
which was quite an expensive piece of gear...

I was taping shows myself back then, and broadcasting them on KUCR, a
college radio station in Riverside, CA. We hooked up somehow and
started trading shows....

I held one set of mics during the '71 Palladium gig on the first
night...
Mics were Sony electrets as I remember.

I love a good stereo audience recording, and what circulates as 8/6/71
(it was actually 2 nights--a second night was added on the 6th, but it
was billed on the handbill as 8/5/71) is a killer recording and one of
my faves (although I haven't heard it in maybe 15 years), and a
testiment as to how good that Sony portable machine was. It ran on
large batteries, which were a problem at some shows (The Airplane at a
free concert 11/1/69 comes to mind. The tape came out with these huge
warbles that I've always wondered could be fixed with modern
technology).

Here's the handbill on my tapebox:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/833581/8671.jpg

Some memories:

The mics were maybe 20 feet apart from one-another, and the imaging is
just fantastic. It was a pain-in-the-ass to do the mic-work (as any
taper in the middle of a crowd will attest)...

There *is* another audience tape of 8/5/71 out there somewhere, as Weir
admonishes the tapers that they are in the wrong spot, and it wasn't
us.
So-ooo, somewhere there is another recording.
But how could it top the 770 recording?

What circulated for years as "8/6/71" is actually a composite of the
two evenings...
Bummer...
It was on 2 reels, 90 minutes each, and I must have dupped 100 sets on
reels for folks...

Glad to hear the whole thing is circulating...

BTW, High Country, a bluegrass band from SF, and (I think) the Rowan
Bros. opened, along with NRPS. It was one of my first exposures to
bluegrass, and left an impression...

NRPS was taped as well, as I remember...

Other shows that Midnight Recording Company (I think that's what they
called themselves) recorded, all worth searching out, are:

-Airplane/Forum 10/31/69
-Airplane/Anaheim Convention Center
-Dead/El Monte
-Faces/Swing Auditorium
-Emerson Lake and Palmer/Hollywood Bowl (this is a composite of 1/2 Dub
Taylor's tape--he got busted taping--and MRC, who were late? Or maybe
it was a battery problem. In any event, we had to edit the two sources
together to make a complete tape.
-Pink Floyd/Hollywood Bowl
-Fleetwood Mac/Swing Auditorium
-Airplane/Hollywood Bowl
-Allmans/Hollywood Bowl

This is off the top of my head. There are more.

But 8/6/71 is one that really sticks out recording-wise. It's just a
perfect audience tape, and a real credit to the Claremont folks who
were *way* ahead of their time...

I remember for years sticking on "Hard to Handle" and watching the jaws
drop. Instant party.

I only wish we could have got the 770 into the Palladium for the Stones
in '72. *That* would have been one for the ages...

Bruce Harvie
http://www.bruceharvie.com
-

tone...@rockisland.com

Jul 10, 2005, 11:21:35 PM7/10/05
"(it was actually 2 nights--a second night was added on the 6th, but it

was billed on the handbill as 8/5/71)"

Whoops....
Other way around...

Bill

Jul 11, 2005, 1:18:57 AM7/11/05

<tone...@rockisland.com> wrote

I've got an aud recording of 7-21-74 (Hollywood Bowl) that was taped by Rob
Bertrando. Great recording and great show (the Playin in the Band is
excellent).

> But 8/6/71 is one that really sticks out recording-wise. It's just a
> perfect audience tape, and a real credit to the Claremont folks who
> were *way* ahead of their time...

It's a great recording of course and great show but I notice the bass level
is lower on it than the soundboards I've heard of other (pre-Keith) '71
shows. Do you know if their aud recordings at that time tended to not
record the bass as well as higher frequencies due to the equipment they were
working with or do you think the Dead's soundboards at that time had higher
bass levels than what was heard in the hall?

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Bill

tone...@rockisland.com

Jul 11, 2005, 2:24:54 AM7/11/05
Well, the bass is pretty pumped on a lot of those 2-track SBs...

And bass is one of the easiest things to enhance when remastering, so
maybe the audience tapes could stand to be run through a couple BA6As
or the like...

What I always hoped would happen is that the SBs for 8/5-6/71 would
emerge, and they could be married to the audience tapes in Protools or
the like...

I believe they did that with the Lep Zep "How the West Was Won", which
married a sterile soundboard recording with a lively audience tape that
lacked defintion and punch......
Ahh, technology...

Looks like they're lost, though, no?
Except for the snippits they recently found and released...

Oh, and if you haven't had a listen to the audience recordings of
8/6/71 on headphones yet, give it a go.
It's a great listen on cans as I remember...

Bruce