Marcy Marxer records? Also, who sings this lumberjack song?

Nils Davis

Aug 28, 1991, 12:26:54 PM8/28/91
I just bought Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer's record, called "Cathy Fink
and Marcy Marxer," which I love. I particularly love Marcy Marxer's singing,
particularly on Greg Brown's wonderful song "Early."
Does she have any other records? Not according to the Elderly Instruments
catalog, but I bet she's been in some band or other? Thanks for any information
you have on this.

Also, there's a great song about a girl who loves lumberjacks because
they dance so well after leaping about on the logs in a river log drive. Some
of the words are:

And he goes ?? down, down white waters
That's how the lumberjack learns to {step|leap?} lightly
... ?? pleases girls completely

I used to hear this on the radio when I was in college (on WXPN in Philadelphia)
sung by some woman singer, but I've never since been able to find out who
that woman singer was. I'm interested in the words, but more importantly, the
singer.

Thanks,

Nils

Nils Davis nda...@intellicorp.com
Intellicorp, Inc. ...!sun!intellicorp!ndavis

Jon Nightingale

Aug 30, 1991, 3:24:55 PM8/30/91
In article <1991Aug28.162654.28322@icmv> da...@transporter.IntelliCorp.COM

(Nils Davis) writes:
>Also, there's a great song about a girl who loves lumberjacks because
>they dance so well after leaping about on the logs in a river log drive. Some
>of the words are:
>
> And he goes ?? down, down white waters
> That's how the lumberjack learns to {step|leap?} lightly
> ... ?? pleases girls completely
>
>I used to hear this on the radio when I was in college (on WXPN in
Philadelphia)
>sung by some woman singer, but I've never since been able to find out who
>that woman singer was. I'm interested in the words, but more importantly, the
>singer.

I believe the song was written by Marie-Lynn Hammond, who was with the Candian
group
Stringband at the time. It is certainly on one of the Stringband albums. I
think
the title is something like "The Logdancer's Waltz".

Jon Berger

Aug 30, 1991, 2:54:26 PM8/30/91
In article <1991Aug28.162654.28322@icmv> da...@transporter.IntelliCorp.COM (Nils Davis) writes:
>Also, there's a great song about a girl who loves lumberjacks because
>they dance so well after leaping about on the logs in a river log drive. Some
>of the words are:
>
> And he goes ?? down, down white waters
> That's how the lumberjack learns to {step|leap?} lightly
> ... ?? pleases girls completely
>
>I used to hear this on the radio when I was in college (on WXPN in Philadelphia)
>sung by some woman singer, but I've never since been able to find out who
>that woman singer was. I'm interested in the words, but more importantly, the
>singer.

This is attaining the status of an FAQ, but here goes. The song is called
"Log Driver's Waltz", and it was written by Wade Hemsworth, a Canadian
songwriter from the 30's or thereabouts who has been called "the Canadian
Woodie Guthrie" (mostly by Canadians). It's been recorded a fair amount
(if Hemsworth is Guthrie, then "Log Driver's Waltz" is "This Land is Your
Land", so to speak). You may have heard the recording by the horribly
misnamed Canadian group Stringband, in which case the vocalist was
Marie-Lynn Hammond. Or it might have been someone else.

The lyrics:

If you ask any girl in the parish around
What pleases her most from her head to her toes,
She'll say, "I'm not sure that it's business of yours,
But I do love to waltz with the log driver."

Chorus: For he goes burling down, down the white water,
That's where the log driver learns to step lightly,
Burling down, down the white water,
Log driver's waltz pleases girls completely.

Now, when the work's over, I love to go down,
And watch all the lads as they work on the river
[ Hmmm, I've forgotten these two lines. Darn.
Too many drugs in the 60's. ]

(Chorus)

Now, to please both my parents, I've had to give way,
And dance with the doctors, the merchants, the lawyers.
Their manners are fine, but their feet are of clay,
And there's none with the style of my log driver.

(Chorus)

Now, I've had my chances with all sorts of men,
But there's none with the style of my lad from the river,
And when the work's over, if he asks me again,
I think I will marry my log driver.

(Chorus)

"Burling" is the process of hopping about on a log as it floats down the
river, with the object of staying on one's feet and out of the wet stuff.
Or so I've been told.

BTW, we've found that the song gets a lot more interesting if it's sung
with a pause substituted for various key words, as in "I do love to
<pause> with the log driver", or "There's none with the <pause> of my log
driver."

Jon Berger jo...@ingres.com {mtxinu,sun,amdahl,pyramid}!ingres!jonb
"Gentlemen, I regret to inform you that we're all drawings." -- B. Kliban

Nur Iskandar Taib

Aug 31, 1991, 11:35:52 PM8/31/91
}}Also, there's a great song about a girl who loves lumberjacks because
}}they dance so well after leaping about on the logs in a river log drive. Some
}}of the words are:
}}
}} And he goes ?? down, down white waters
}} That's how the lumberjack learns to {step|leap?} lightly
}} ....
}} ... ?? pleases girls completely
}}
}
}I believe the song was written by Marie-Lynn Hammond, who was with the Candian
}group
}Stringband at the time. It is certainly on one of the Stringband albums. I
}think
}the title is something like "The Logdancer's Waltz".

I've heard this twice: Once performed on Prairie Home Companion,
another time late at night on Public TV, where they had a short
animated piece about the song.

Its called "The Logdriver's Waltz"

You can ask any girl in the parish around
What pleases her from her head to her toes
She'll answer "I'm sure its no business of yours
"But I love to waltz with my logdriver"

For he goes burling down, down white water
Thats where the logdriver learns to step lively,
Burling down, down white water,
The Logdriver's waltz pleases girls completely."

To please both my parents I had to give way
And dance with the merchant, the doctor, the lawyer
Though their manners are fine, their feet are like clay
And none has the style of my logdriver

(Chorus)

When the drive's nearly over we love to go down
And watch all the men as they work on the river
When the drive is all over we'll all be in town
And I'll get to waltz with my logdriver

(Chorus)

I've had my chances at all kinds of men
But my love is the man who works on the river
And early next spring if he asks me again
I'm sure that I'll marry my logdriver

(Chorus)

(BEAUTIFUL autoharp instrumental verse and chorus
to close)

This is all from memory, so its probably incorrect
in places.

Incidentally, where do I find a recording of it?

Iskandar Taib | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NT...@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU | Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet: NTAIB@IUBACS !

Steve Cumming

Sep 2, 1991, 9:40:48 PM9/2/91
In article <1991Sep1.0...@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> nt...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>}}Also, there's a great song about a girl who loves lumberjacks because
>}}they dance so well after leaping about on the logs in a river log drive. Some
>}}of the words are:
>}}
>}} And he goes ?? down, down white waters
>}} That's how the lumberjack learns to {step|leap?} lightly
>}} ....
>}} ... ?? pleases girls completely
>}}
>}}I used to hear this on the radio when I was in college (on WXPN in
>}Philadelphia)
>}}sung by some woman singer, but I've never since been able to find out who
>}}that woman singer was. I'm interested in the words, but more importantly, the
>}}singer.
>}
>}I believe the song was written by Marie-Lynn Hammond, who was with the Candian
>}group
>}Stringband at the time. It is certainly on one of the Stringband albums. I
>}think
>}the title is something like "The Logdancer's Waltz".

I just checked National Melodies and Canadian Sunset, and it is on neither og
those albums; there are at least two more StringBand albums, though, and
Marie_Lynn Hammond does have a solo album or two out. Still, I do not
remember them ever covering this tune.

>I've heard this twice: Once performed on Prairie Home Companion,
>another time late at night on Public TV, where they had a short
>animated piece about the song.

I have seen this NFB piece also.
The singers are Kate and Anna McGarrigle(sp?).

>Its called "The Logdriver's Waltz"

>Incidentally, where do I find a recording of it?

I don't know if they ever released it.

--
#include "../h/disclaimer.h" /* I am not really Phil Burton, btw. */
bur...@unixg.ubc.ca ... and if dinosaurs "became" birds

Pearse Ward

Sep 6, 1991, 1:25:48 AM9/6/91

The National Film Board of Canada has made an animated short film around this
song. It's really not bad, and should be available from NFB offices in Canada
and through some libraries in the US.

Pearse

Chris Sullivan

Sep 6, 1991, 2:44:09 PM9/6/91
In <1991Sep3.0...@unixg.ubc.ca> bur...@unixg.ubc.ca (Steve Cumming) writes:

>The singers are Kate and Anna McGarrigle(sp?).

>>Its called "The Logdriver's Waltz"

>>Incidentally, where do I find a recording of it?

>I don't know if they ever released it.

Don't think so. It's by a Canadian folk singer named Wade Hemsworth, who also
wrote a few other songs you may have heard or heard of. He wrote (writes?)
great songs, not well known outside Canadian folk circles. He was interviewed
recently on Peter Gzowski's CBC radio morning show Morningside, and Kate & Anna
came to do some singing. The other song us Ontarioans are familiar with is "The
Black Fly", written when he was up in "North Ontar aye o" on the "Little
Abitibi on the survey crew." Kind of makes your skin crawl just to hear it.

Kate & Anna apparently used to hang around a Montreal coffeehouse and watch
him (before they became an act unto themselves).

He recorded one album of songs, but I don't know if it's available anywhere.

Anybody know if it is?

I find it interesting that some songs are so good and seem so authentically
"folksy" or whatever that it isn't well known who wrote them, even though
everybody sings them. I am told that Oscar Brand wrote a tune called "Farewell
to Nova Scotia", even though a lot of people think it is Trad. I don't know
for sure. I wonder to whom it is attributed on the Ian and Sylvia record I
have at home. I saw a Johnny Cash record once that said HE had written "The
Rock Island Line". Funny I thought Leadbelly did. Anybody out there know?

Regards,
Chris Sullivan

David H. West

Sep 6, 1991, 3:43:55 PM9/6/91
In article <1991Sep6.1...@hobbit.gandalf.ca> ch...@hobbit.gandalf.ca (Chris Sullivan) writes:
>I am told that Oscar Brand wrote a tune called "Farewell
>to Nova Scotia", even though a lot of people think it is Trad. I don't know
>for sure. I wonder to whom it is attributed on the Ian and Sylvia record I
>have at home. I saw a Johnny Cash record once that said HE had written "The
>Rock Island Line". Funny I thought Leadbelly did. Anybody out there know?

It's like this: if a song is "trad", the author's royalty stays with
the record company; if it's "by X", or "[some] new words and music by X"
or even "trad-arranged-by-X" (these last two sometimes euphemistically
abbreviated to "by X"), the royalty goes to X. Lots of people who have
recorded traditional songs have felt that they were more deserving of
the money than the record company was, even if they didn't originate
the song, hence the claims.

-David West d...@iti.org

Chris Sullivan

Sep 10, 1991, 9:28:51 AM9/10/91
>Kate & Anna apparently used to hang around a Montreal coffeehouse and watch
>him (before they became an act unto themselves).

Quiz time:

What Wade Hemsworth tune DID the McGarrigles record?

Mike Godfrey

Sep 10, 1991, 10:10:16 AM9/10/91

I'm not sure if you're really after the information or just posting a quiz.
Nevertheless, the two songs of his they recorded are:
Logdriver's Waltz (never released on vinyl/CD/cassette, only as
the soundtrack to an NFB short)
Foolish You

--
Mike Godfrey If a performance artist gives a show
Dept of Comp Sci, UofT but nobody comes

Jimmy Dalin

Sep 10, 1991, 11:33:53 AM9/10/91
About "Farewell to Nova Scotia": I don't have my reference works in front
of me but I seem to recall that the song was published in Helen Creighton's
seminal work entitled (I believe) The Folk Songs of Nova Scotia. This was
first published long before Oscar Brand started singing it. I'll check
tonight.
--
Jim Dalin "No Salga Afuera"
AT&T N.Y.C.T.A.

Chris Sullivan

Sep 11, 1991, 12:01:54 PM9/11/91

>I'm not sure if you're really after the information or just posting a quiz.
>Nevertheless, the two songs of his they recorded are:
> Logdriver's Waltz (never released on vinyl/CD/cassette, only as
> the soundtrack to an NFB short)
> Foolish You

Well I was really just interested in the quizzical aspects. I don't have the
Wade Hemsworth record, though I would like to have it, so I only know songs
of his I have heard other people do. Anyone know of others? This time it's
not a quiz, I would really like to know!

Ch...@gandalf.ca
--
Chris Sullivan
ch...@gandalf.ca

"I'm having an Out of Money Experience" - New Yorker Cartoon

Greg Bullough

Sep 11, 1991, 4:19:13 PM9/11/91
In article <1991Sep10.1...@devildog.att.com> jda...@devildog.att.com (Jimmy Dalin) writes:
>first published long before Oscar Brand started singing it.

Talking of that name, does anyone have any sources for recordings,
sheet music, etc., from Oscar Brand?

Greg

Roland Kushner

Sep 12, 1991, 7:56:09 AM9/12/91
Dick:

Please let me know that this channel works, and that you received this
message. Thanks large for the tip -- please tell Rosie Bukvics (is
that correct?) that I will be in touch with her next week. Do you have
an office phone number?

Things are going ok for us except for the damned school strike, which
plays havoc -- always chasing babysitters and adjusting schedules for
us, doing God knows what to the kids' development and sense of order.
It's a right royal pain in the ass from all sides.

Stay in touch.

Roland Kushner
BITNET: rj...@lehigh.bitnet INTERNET: rj...@ns.cc.lehigh.edu
Rauch Business Center Rm. 207, P. O. Box 4213
Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA 18015 or Bethlehem, PA 18018
(215) 758-3433 (215) 865-9697

Roland Kushner
BITNET: rj...@lehigh.bitnet INTERNET: rj...@ns.cc.lehigh.edu
Rauch Business Center Rm. 207, P. O. Box 4213
Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA 18015 or Bethlehem, PA 18018
(215) 758-3433 (215) 865-9697

Don Bennett

Sep 16, 1991, 6:49:35 PM9/16/91

> I've heard this twice: Once performed on Prairie Home Companion,
> another time late at night on Public TV, where they had a short
> animated piece about the song.
>
> ... (lyrics deleted)

> This is all from memory, so its probably incorrect
> in places.

That's pretty good from memory.

> Incidentally, where do I find a recording of it?

I tried to find a recording but couldn't. I once posted a note
to rec.arts.wobegon and managed to find out when it was on the PHC -

Here's the reply I got:

> "As he goes barreling down, down white water . . .
> That's where the logdriver learns to step lightly
> barreling down, down white water
> Logdrivers waltz pleases girls - completely.

"He goes birling down the down-white water.
That's where the logdriver learns to step lightly . . ."

"The Logdriver's Waltz", broadcast on 17 September 1983 -- and, sorry,
I didn't catch the name of the writer or performer either. But I did
make a note of the line, because the use of "down" in two separate
senses within a single clause happened to be of interest in my research
at the time.

The song was later used in an animated short by the National Film Board
of Canada, which I have seen parts of a couple of times on television.

Some vague intuition tells me that it might be by Kate & Anna
McGarrigle. Certainly its use by the NFB (and the subject matter)
suggests that it is Canadian.

Birling means using one's feet to make a floating log revolve -- as a
logdriver does. As a sport, one birls the log to try to throw one's
competitor off the log and into the water. The point of the song is
that an expert birler will be an expert dancer too.

--
\\\ Graeme Hirst Computer Science University of Rochester NY 14627
/// =-=-=-=-=-=- g...@cs.rochester.edu 716-275-2957

Anyway, knowing the date, I called up Minnesota Public Radio to
try to find out who the performers were. I got a phone message from
the archivist there with the info of -

Logdriver's Waltz
Sept. 17, 83 was a rebroadcast from Sept. 8, 1982
Performers were 3 Women -
Claudia Schmitt (sp?) Sally (Rogers?) and Jan (unknown);

I had never heard of any of these women, so I'm sorry if I butchered
any spellings.

Please let me know if you find a recording of the song or perhaps
someone who has a copy of this PHC broadcast.

Thanks,

--
Don Bennett (408)922-2768
d...@frame.com