Please help ID this old songbook

Harold Groot

May 14, 2002, 9:05:50 PM5/14/02
On Wed, 15 May 2002 00:03:55 GMT, pci...@TheWorld.com (Paul Ciszek)
wrote:

>My father used to have a songbook, which I lost at some point. I hope
>someone can help me figure out what the title was, and perhaps where to
>find a copy, from this description:
>* He would have acquired it in the '50s or '60s
>* Some of the songs included were:
> Sister Jenny's Turn to Throw the Bomb
> The Vassar Hygeine Song
> Gory, Gory Skiers and Gory, Gory Rockclimbers
> Let Her Sleep Under the Bar
> The Pope and the Sultan (at least I think that was the title; the gist of
> it was that the Pope has the finest wines but must give up sex, while the
> Sultan had a hareem but must give up wine)
>* It had lyrics, but no sheet music. I can't recall if it had chord
> notation or not.
>* I remember it being just a little smaller than 8 1/2 by 11
>If I can locate a copy, perhaps I can send it in time for Father's day.
>Thanks in advance.
>Paul Ciszek No nation is drunken where wine is cheap.
>pciszek at TheWorld dot com --Thomas Jefferson

Most of those were in the earlier editions of SONG FEST, and it's
quite possible that the remainder got added for the later versions,
i.e. my copy from the 40s or so didn't have SISTER JENNY'S TTTTB, but
an edition from the 60s might have. SONG FEST had tunes written out
for some but not all of the songs in the early version, don't know
about the later ones.

Joe Fineman

May 15, 2002, 6:49:22 PM5/15/02
que...@sjm.infi.net (Harold Groot) writes:

> On Wed, 15 May 2002 00:03:55 GMT, pci...@TheWorld.com (Paul Ciszek)
> wrote:
>
> >My father used to have a songbook, which I lost at some point. I hope
> >someone can help me figure out what the title was, and perhaps where to
> >find a copy, from this description:
> >* He would have acquired it in the '50s or '60s
> >* Some of the songs included were:
> > Sister Jenny's Turn to Throw the Bomb
> > The Vassar Hygeine Song
> > Gory, Gory Skiers and Gory, Gory Rockclimbers
> > Let Her Sleep Under the Bar
> > The Pope and the Sultan (at least I think that was the title; the gist of
> > it was that the Pope has the finest wines but must give up sex, while the
> > Sultan had a hareem but must give up wine)
> >* It had lyrics, but no sheet music. I can't recall if it had chord
> > notation or not.

[...]

> Most of those were in the earlier editions of SONG FEST, and it's
> quite possible that the remainder got added for the later versions,
> i.e. my copy from the 40s or so didn't have SISTER JENNY'S TTTTB,
> but an edition from the 60s might have. SONG FEST had tunes written
> out for some but not all of the songs in the early version, don't
> know about the later ones.

I have the 2nd ed. (1954; 5th printing, 1958). It has all the above
except "Sister Jenny". Tunes & chords are provided for all songs
except a few that are exceedingly well known.

"The Pope and the Sultan" is I believe the usual title of that song,
but it appears in the book as "The Pope". It started out in German
("Der Papst lebt herrlich in der Welt"), but the German is not given.
In the version in the book, a large number of other dignitaries have
been added & lampooned; they include the Kaiser & the Czar, so the
additions must date from before W.W. I. I particularly like

The Czar of Russia, so they say,
Drinks whiskey sour both night and day,
And every time he takes a drink,
He leaves the lemon in the sink.
--
--- Joe Fineman j...@TheWorld.com

||: There is some relief in having gotten thru even the :||
||: pleasantest day. :||

Jack Aldrich

May 16, 2002, 11:01:41 AM5/16/02
to Harold Groot
My edition, ca 1960, has them all.

Joan Blackburn

May 18, 2002, 1:39:06 AM5/18/02
Hope this helps: publication info from my copy:

SONG FEST, edited by Dick and Beth Best, illustrated by David Hunt.
Crown Publishers, Inc. New York
Seventeenth printing, March 1966
Copyright 1948, 1955 by R. L. Best
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 54-12069
Printed in the United States of America

And, yes, it was done for the Intercollegiate Outing Club Association.

Joan

Paul Ciszek <pci...@TheWorld.com> wrote in message
> In article <3ce1b379...@news.sjm.infi.net>,

> Harold Groot <que...@sjm.infi.net> wrote:
> >
> >Most of those were in the earlier editions of SONG FEST, and it's
> >quite possible that the remainder got added for the later versions,
> >i.e. my copy from the 40s or so didn't have SISTER JENNY'S TTTTB, but
> >an edition from the 60s might have. SONG FEST had tunes written out
> >for some but not all of the songs in the early version, don't know
> >about the later ones.
>

> Thanks to everyone who identified the book as _Song Fest_. I assume that
> this is _Song Fest of the Intercollegiate Outing Club Assoc._. Does
anyone
> know where I could find it? abebooks.com has a copy dated 1944, while
> Amazon.com has never heard of it.
>
> --
> pciszek at TheWorld dot com | "Mundus Vult Decipi"
> | ("The world wants to be deceived")
> | --James Branch Cabell

Harold Groot

May 18, 2002, 2:25:01 AM5/18/02
On Sat, 18 May 2002 05:39:06 +0000 (UTC), "Joan Blackburn"
<Joanbl...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Hope this helps: publication info from my copy:
>SONG FEST, edited by Dick and Beth Best, illustrated by David Hunt.
>Crown Publishers, Inc. New York
>Seventeenth printing, March 1966
>Copyright 1948, 1955 by R. L. Best
>Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 54-12069
>Printed in the United States of America
>And, yes, it was done for the Intercollegiate Outing Club Association.

Heh, heh. Back in those days, the only meaning of the word "Outing"
was in reference to hiking, mountain climbing, spelunking, white-water
rafting and similar activities. How things have changed...