Copyrights

Toby . Hughes

Aug 4, 1992, 10:31:47 PM8/4/92
Some people can screw up a wet dream. This is a list of folk song
lovers passing info back and forth about a common interest. If someone
wants the lyrics to a favorite song and someone else knows them, what's
the harm in passing them along? Nobody is doing it for profit or any other
commercial use, so the spirit of the copyright law is intact, if maybe not
the letter. We could just as easily mail or phone them to one another, but
one is slower and the other costs too much. Are the list police gonna
start tapping our phones to make sure we're not passing along copyrighted
info? YGBSM!

Tell you what. I've got 19 songs in copyright. At least two of these,
and possibly three or four, will be sung on a nationwide network TV show
in November. If any of them catch on, and someone wants the lyrics, anyone
who knows them has my blessing to pass them along for any non-commercial use.
I'd be honored.

TH

Jerry Dallal

Aug 5, 1992, 10:36:17 AM8/5/92
In article <1992Aug5.0...@ringer.cs.utsa.edu>, thu...@lonestar.utsa.edu (Toby . Hughes) writes:
> YGBSM!
^^^^^

You can be sure . . .
You can bet . . .
Your gerbil . . .
? ? ?

I guess the reason I have trouble with this is because IANAL.

Jerry Dallal

Aug 5, 1992, 10:49:13 AM8/5/92
There was a famous Jimmy Breslin column, about 10 years ago, which was devoted
to a rant against Irving Berlin because Berlin refused him permission to quote
*two* lines from one of his songs in one of Breslin's books. The purpose of
the passage in the book was *not* to poke fun at Berlin or his lyric; the lyric
just happened to fit the situation Breslin had constructed.

We can waste all the keystrokes we want with IANAL rants about how we ought to
be able to post this-and-that-and-the-other-thing, but there are
copyright laws and copyrighting something results in certain rights and
restrictions concerning "the right to copy." The Breslin story and how
copyright works in the real world when publishers and legal entities are
involved who *really* have to play by the rules.

By the way, IANAL.

<This got close to a flame. If I stepped over the line, I apologize.>