How many folk singers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Archesuk

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Four - one to change it and three to sing about how much they mised the old
one.

Ray Millar

Steallight

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
>Four - one to change it and three to sing about how much they mised the old
>one.
>
>Ray Millar

Six, one to change it, three to lament the passing of the old, and two to sing
about the social injustice requiring change!

Stev

Happily dancing in the Phil Zone and scattering Garcia Ashes!
http://members.aol.com/steallight/STEALL_1.HTM
Healthcare: The bottom line is patients not profits!
Steal...@aol.com is Stev Lenon MT(ASCP) should you care or need to know.

Jeri Corlew

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
On 30 May 1999 15:00:02 GMT, steal...@aol.com (Steallight) wrote:

>>Four - one to change it and three to sing about how much they mised the old
>>one.
>>
>>Ray Millar
>>

>Six, one to change it, three to lament the passing of the old, and two to sing
>about the social injustice requiring change!

Twelve, one to change it, three to lament the passing of the old, two to sing
about the social injustice requiing change, two to complain that it's wrong to
change it and four to complain because it's electric.

__
Jeri Corlew
(Remove "XXX" to reply)

Brett Weiss

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
"How many folk singers does it take to change a light bulb?"

Change?!

--
Brett

Brittles

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
>>"How many folk singers does it take to change a light bulb?"<<

That's electric, isn't it?

Better get a singer-songwriter to do it.

Ed Britt
Brit...@aol.com

Jansill

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
<< >>"How many folk singers does it take to change a light bulb?"<< >>

I guess this does raise the question of what exactly IS a foksinger, and what
really IS folk music. etc..

I'd rather sit in the dark!

Jay Ansill
Jan...@aol.com
http://www.dynanet.com/~larry/ja
"I remember everything as if it happened years ago" - Robyn Hitchcock

Ed Shrager

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
None - they can't unless one of them happens to be in the electricians
union.
Archesuk <arch...@aol.com> wrote in message

Jennifer Reiswig

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Hey don't forget...
- the one who has to complain that the person actually
changing the bulb stole his/her technique from someone else
- three more to chime in that this is the folk tradition.

.. jenny

Frank Hamilton

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99

Four. Three to change it and one to bitch about the copyright
violation. (particularly if he owns it.)

Frank

J Peekstok

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
I've never seen any horses changing lightbulbs.

John Peekstok
http://members.aol.com/telynor/

Hiroshi Ogura

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
>Four - one to change it and three to sing about how much they mised the old
>one.
>
>Ray Millar

This reminds me of a joke that a folk singer told me.

What is the difference between a folk singer and a puppy?

The puppy will eventually stop whining...

--Hiroshi

Eric Berge

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99

Frank Hamilton wrote:

> Four. Three to change it and one to bitch about the copyright
> violation. (particularly if he owns it.)

...and a horse, without which no-one could be sure they were actually
dealing with bona-fide folk music.
--

Eric Berge
(remove _ for address)

Mick Tems

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Broken-hearted I'll wander
Broken-hearted I'll remain
Since my bonny lightbulb man
In the wars he was slain...

Oh, perhaps not.

--
Mick Tems & Pat Smith: Calennig/Celfyddydau Mari Arts/
Clwb Gwerin Llantrisant FC Phone/fax: 01443 226892 Mobile 07979 055577

LanceU1943

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Add to the growing list. a number of political reporters to properly analyze
the social impact of the changes being wrought, some one from tabloid
journalism to rcord a monumental change in progressive social thinking, critics
from religious groups decrying the failing soical moals that have led to the
change and a number of social activists claiming that the event is really a
political statement about homelessness and the lack of caring for fellow men
and fellow women in this mean spirited society. Finally, Bill Gates will donate
money to ease the social impact of discarding the lightbulb. Followed by the
chroniclers of major social change in the end of the millenium.

Lance...@aol.com

Nigel Gatherer

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Mick Tems penned:

> Broken-hearted I'll wander
> Broken-hearted I'll remain
> Since my bonny lightbulb man
> In the wars he was slain...

First when I cam tae the toon
They ca'd me young and bonnie
But noo they've changed the bulb
Ca' me the lightbulb's honey.

--
Nigel Gatherer, Edinburgh
gath...@argonet.co.uk

amers

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99

wrote:

>>In article <490c972f3...@argonet.co.uk>, Nigel Gatherer
>><gath...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>-> Mick Tems penned:
>>->
>>-> > Broken-hearted I'll wander
>>-> > Broken-hearted I'll remain
>>-> > Since my bonny lightbulb man
>>-> > In the wars he was slain...
>>->
>>-> First when I cam tae the toon
>>-> They ca'd me young and bonnie
>>-> But noo they've changed the bulb
>>-> Ca' me the lightbulb's honey.
>>
>>Then out stepped the cabin boy, and up spoke he
>>O captain, my captain, what will you give to me
>>If I change for you the lightbulb, lonesome lightbulb
>>Change for you the light bulberee?
>
>Don't mind the wash or making tea
>To mop the floor never worries me
>But the task that really yanks my chain
>Is to change that damned light bulb again.
>__

Then up spake his lady at his back where she lay
She had seen the bulbs glowing o'er hill and o'er bray
O rise up oh Brackley, and be not afraid
They're but hired young brigands with lightbulbs to change

Mary

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
ROTFL! Stop already! No, wait -- keep going! How many verses can you
guys add before the well of global ng inspiration scrapes dry?

- Mary

Gerry Myerson

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
In article <490c972f3...@argonet.co.uk>, Nigel Gatherer
<gath...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

-> Mick Tems penned:
->
-> > Broken-hearted I'll wander
-> > Broken-hearted I'll remain
-> > Since my bonny lightbulb man
-> > In the wars he was slain...
->
-> First when I cam tae the toon
-> They ca'd me young and bonnie
-> But noo they've changed the bulb
-> Ca' me the lightbulb's honey.

Then out stepped the cabin boy, and up spoke he
O captain, my captain, what will you give to me
If I change for you the lightbulb, lonesome lightbulb
Change for you the light bulberee?

GM

Jeri Corlew

Jeri Corlew

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99

SAppel7866

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
i always heard the joke as: 3. one to change the bulb and the other 2 to
discuss how much better the old one was.

Brittles

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
From the singing of an unknown folky named Robert Glimmerman, at a notorious
Newport Festival back in the '60s:

Come gather round people wherever you roam,
And admit that the darkness around you has grown,
And admit to yourself, you can't do it alone,
If your eyes to you are worth savin'
Then you'd better start movin', or go blind as a stone,
'Cause the lightbulbs, they need a-changin'

Ed Britt
Please Remove *UNSPAM* from my address, to e-mail me.

Brittles

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
I made a transcription error in my earlier post.

I just checked my bootleg tape of that Newport concert. Mr Glimmerman mumbles
a lot - and it's very difficult to hear the words over the roar of his electric
glockenspeil. (Boy, was Pete Seeger pissed!)

But, thanks to the magic of modern digital noise filtering, I believe the words
are actually more like:

Come gather round people, wherever you roam,

And admit that the darkness around you has grown,

And accept it that soon, you'll be blind as a stone,
If your eyesight to you is worth savin',
Then find someone to help you, or go do it alone,
For the lightbulbs, they need a-changin'.

Jeri Corlew

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
Mary, the thread will keep going for about two months after someone tells us to
please shut up.

On Thu, 03 Jun 1999 23:33:54 -0700, Mary <ma...@interwalk.com> wrote:

>ROTFL! Stop already! No, wait -- keep going! How many verses can you
>guys add before the well of global ng inspiration scrapes dry?
>
>- Mary
>
>amers wrote:
>>
>> Jeri Corlew wrote in message <3761278b...@news.tds.net>...

>> Then up spake his lady at his back where she lay
>> She had seen the bulbs glowing o'er hill and o'er bray
>> O rise up oh Brackley, and be not afraid
>> They're but hired young brigands with lightbulbs to change

Janet put her backpack on
And all her goods arranged
And she's gone to Carterhaugh
The light bulbs for to change.

She'd not changed a double bulb,
a bulb but only two
When up then spoke young Tam Lin
says "Lady change no more"

"And why change you the light bulbs
without my acquiescence"
"Those reg'lar bulbs use too much power
I prefer fluoresescents".

Tom King

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
If we'll all just keep appending our verses to the original post, then the
song will show up in Stephen Suffet's next concert and from there go on to
folk song immortality.

Tom King

Jeri Corlew <jeri...@tds.net> wrote in message

Brittles <brit...@aol.comUNSPAM> wrote in message

> I made a transcription error in my earlier post.
>
> I just checked my bootleg tape of that Newport concert. Mr Glimmerman
mumbles
> a lot - and it's very difficult to hear the words over the roar of his
electric
> glockenspeil. (Boy, was Pete Seeger pissed!)
>
> But, thanks to the magic of modern digital noise filtering, I believe the
words
> are actually more like:
>
> Come gather round people, wherever you roam,
> And admit that the darkness around you has grown,
> And accept it that soon, you'll be blind as a stone,
> If your eyesight to you is worth savin',
> Then find someone to help you, or go do it alone,
> For the lightbulbs, they need a-changin'.
>
> Ed Britt

John Henry said to the captain
Don't you bring that light bulb round
Before I let that light bulb illuminate 'dis town
I'll die with a candle in my hand, Lawd, Lawd
You know I'll die with a candle in my hand!

Tom King

Eric Berge

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
Tom King wrote:

> Jeri Corlew <jeri...@tds.net> wrote

What shall we do with the broken lightbulb,
What shall we do with the broken lightbulb,
What shall we do with the broken lightbulb,
Earlie in the morning?

Get two folkies to hold the ladder! (x3)
Earlie in the morning!

And two more to complain that it's electric! (x3)
Earlie in the morning!

Abby Sale

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
On Thu, 03 Jun 1999 23:41:12 +0100, Nigel Gatherer
<gath...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>First when I cam tae the toon

>They ca'd me young and bonnie

>But noo they've changed the bulb

>Ca' me the lightbulb's honey.

These are all wonderful. Do keep it up. This in particular since it was
one of Dolly MacLennan's favorites way back then & a big surprise to me
that this well-known, purely American tune had been ripped off by the
Scots. (Or the other way around - what's the difference?) But it was a
pleasant surprise.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---
I am Abby Sale - abby...@orlinter.com (That's in Orlando)

perry lee

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
In article <37577352.F96195E7@-nospam-interwalk.com>, ma...@interwalk.com
says...

> ROTFL! Stop already! No, wait -- keep going! How many verses can you
> guys add before the well of global ng inspiration scrapes dry?
>
> - Mary
>
> amers wrote:
> >
> > Jeri Corlew wrote in message <3761278b...@news.tds.net>...

Her lips were sweet as the sugar candy,
her touch was as soft as a bed of goose down.
Her eyes shownas as bright as the city lights,
That were changed every night down in Eddington town."

Kevin Sheils

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Jeri Corlew wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Jun 1999 09:56:12 +1100, ge...@mpce.mq.edu.au (Gerry Myerson) wrote:
>
> >In article <490c972f3...@argonet.co.uk>, Nigel Gatherer
> ><gath...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >-> Mick Tems penned:
> >->
> >-> > Broken-hearted I'll wander
> >-> > Broken-hearted I'll remain
> >-> > Since my bonny lightbulb man
> >-> > In the wars he was slain...
> >->
> >-> First when I cam tae the toon
> >-> They ca'd me young and bonnie
> >-> But noo they've changed the bulb
> >-> Ca' me the lightbulb's honey.
> >
> >Then out stepped the cabin boy, and up spoke he
> >O captain, my captain, what will you give to me
> >If I change for you the lightbulb, lonesome lightbulb
> >Change for you the light bulberee?
>
> Don't mind the wash or making tea
> To mop the floor never worries me
> But the task that really yanks my chain
> Is to change that damned light bulb again.

There were seven yellow Gypsies all in a row
They were brave and bonny-O
One to change the bulb and one to tell the tale
And there's five to run away with the lady-O

--
Kevin Sheils
http://www.mrscasey.co.uk/ For Sidmouth/Towersey Festivals etc

Kevin Sheils

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Jeri Corlew wrote:

> Janet put her backpack on
> And all her goods arranged
> And she's gone to Carterhaugh
> The light bulbs for to change.
>
> She'd not changed a double bulb,
> a bulb but only two
> When up then spoke young Tam Lin
> says "Lady change no more"
>
> "And why change you the light bulbs
> without my acquiescence"
> "Those reg'lar bulbs use too much power
> I prefer fluoresescents".

Proud Maisrie stood at her fathers door
As straight as a willow wand
'Til by there came the Gardener child
With bulbs all in his hand, his hand
With bulbs all in his hand, his hand

Nigel Gatherer

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Abby Sale wrote:

> Nigel Gatherer wrote:

> >First when I cam tae the toon

> >They ca'd me young and bonnie

> >But noo they've changed the bulb

> >Ca' me the lightbulb's honey.

> ...it was...a big surprise to me that this well-known, purely American
> tune had been ripped off by the Scots...

Ah weel... you know that we Scots have always been unrepentant thieves and
what we laughingly call our folksong tradition is nothing but pure
American songs dressed up in a funny language.

For your interest:

=================================
The Lichtbob's Lassie

F C7 F
First fin I cam tae the toon, fin=when
F C7
They ca'd me young and bonnie. ca'd=called
Noo they've changed my name noo=now
C7 Bb F
Ca'd me the lichtbob's honey. lichtbob=see [1] below

I'll dye my petticoats red,
And face them wi' the yellow; wi'=with
I'll tell the dyster lad dyster=
That the lichtbobs I'm tae follow.

Feather beds are saft, saft=soft
Painted rooms are bonnie;
I will leave them a',
An' jog awa' wi' Johnnie.

Oh, my back's been sair,
Shearin' Craigie's corn;
I winna see him the nicht, winna=won't; nicht=night
But I'll see him in the morn.

Oh for Setterday nicht,
Syne I'll see my dearie, syne=then
He'll come whistlin' in,
Fan I am tired an' weary. fan=when
=================================
from "101 Scottish Songs" selected by Norman Buchan (Glasgow 1962, out of
print). Words W. Mathieson, collated with version in 'Folk-Song of the
North East'.
Notes:
"This song is found in two forms in 'Folk-Song of the North East'. One is
"The Lea Boy's (or herd boy's) Lassie", the other is "Lichtbob's lassie".
hamish Henderson has found references to the lichtbobs as being soldiers,
and indeed the refenrences to the red petticoats faced with yellow, as he
says, "clinches the fact that the lassie is 'going for a sodger'". It is
sung to the "I Know Where I'm Going" tune collected in Ireland by Hughes."

--
Nigel Gatherer, Edinburgh <gath...@argonet.co.uk>

The Scottish Music Pages:
www.argonet.co.uk/users/gatherer/scottish/music.html

J Peekstok

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
>> >-> > Broken-hearted I'll wander
>> >-> > Broken-hearted I'll remain
>> >-> > Since my bonny lightbulb man
>> >-> > In the wars he was slain...
>> >->
>> >-> First when I cam tae the toon
>> >-> They ca'd me young and bonnie
>> >-> But noo they've changed the bulb
>> >-> Ca' me the lightbulb's honey.
>> >
>> >Then out stepped the cabin boy, and up spoke he
>> >O captain, my captain, what will you give to me
>> >If I change for you the lightbulb, lonesome lightbulb
>> >Change for you the light bulberee?
>>
>> Don't mind the wash or making tea
>> To mop the floor never worries me
>> But the task that really yanks my chain
>> Is to change that damned light bulb again.
>
>There were seven yellow Gypsies all in a row
>They were brave and bonny-O
>One to change the bulb and one to tell the tale
>And there's five to run away with the lady-O

They carried John Henry to the graveyard,
And buried him underneath the sand.
And every locomotive goes roaring by
Says, "There lies a bulb changing man, oh lord.
There lies a bulb changing man."

John Peekstok
http://members.aol.com/telynor/

Bruce Olson

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Nigel Gatherer wrote:

> Abby Sale wrote:
>
> > Nigel Gatherer wrote:
>
> > >First when I cam tae the toon
> > >They ca'd me young and bonnie
> > >But noo they've changed the bulb
> > >Ca' me the lightbulb's honey.

I've given several related songs, and noted others in the Scarce
Songs 1 file on my website under the general title "Ay waukin O".
Reference is given there to the Scots "The Licht-bob's Lassie" with
tunes in 'The Greig-Duncan Folksong Collection'.

Related songs are Ay waukin O, Jess Macpharlane, Katy Cruel, Lass
of Hexamshire, Aye for Saturday Night, Harry Newel, Salmon
Fishers, Fancy Lad, I know where I'm going, and probably Nancy
Newel in Peter Buchan's MSS in the British Library.

Bruce Olson
--
My website: www.erols.com/olsonw <A
href="http://www.erols.com/olsonw"> Click </a>

Steallight

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Momma said the child I hear a strange sound.
Kickin' and a hollerin' from down in the ground.
Child said Mama don't you have no fright.
Old folksingers arguin' bout changing them lights.

Casey said before I die, Fix the blinds so that the bo's can ride.
If they ride let 'em hang on tight, and sing their songs about changin' the
light.

That's my two p.

Stev

Happily dancing in the Phil Zone and scattering Garcia Ashes!
http://members.aol.com/steallight/STEALL_1.HTM
Healthcare: The bottom line is patients not profits!
Steal...@aol.com is Stev Lenon MT(ASCP)
e-mail for most current tape list

Bruce Olson

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Gerry Myerson wrote:

> In article <490e66b37...@argonet.co.uk>, Nigel Gatherer
> <gath...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> -> The Lichtbob's Lassie
> ->
> -> F C7 F
> -> First fin I cam tae the toon, fin=when
> -> F C7
> -> They ca'd me young and bonnie. ca'd=called
> -> F
> -> Noo they've changed my name noo=now
> -> C7 Bb F
> -> Ca'd me the lichtbob's honey. lichtbob=see [1] below
> ->
> -> "This song is found in two forms in 'Folk-Song of the North East'. One is
> -> "The Lea Boy's (or herd boy's) Lassie", the other is "Lichtbob's lassie".
> -> hamish Henderson has found references to the lichtbobs as being soldiers,
>
> Begging the question, how many lassies does it take to change a lichtbob?
>
> GM

Depends on what size nappies he requires, and whether he cooperates.

amers

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Hucka chucka soda cracker
Does your mamma change the lightbulbs?
If you mamma changes the lightbulbs,
Hucka chucka soda cracker

How many times must a lightbulb be changed
Before it can be called a light?
How many men must go turn off that bulb,
Before they can sleep through the night?

Tom Stovall

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99

J Peekstok wrote:

> >> Don't mind the wash or making tea
> >> To mop the floor never worries me
> >> But the task that really yanks my chain
> >> Is to change that damned light bulb again.
> >
> >There were seven yellow Gypsies all in a row
> >They were brave and bonny-O
> >One to change the bulb and one to tell the tale
> >And there's five to run away with the lady-O
>
> They carried John Henry to the graveyard,
> And buried him underneath the sand.
> And every locomotive goes roaring by
> Says, "There lies a bulb changing man, oh lord.
> There lies a bulb changing man."

I was hanging 'round town, just spendin' my time,
Out of a job and not makin' a dime,
When up steps a fellow an' he says, "I suppose
You're a bulb changer by the looks of your clothes."
You figgers me right, an' a good 'un I claims,
Do you happen to have any light bulbs to change?

Tom Stovall CJF
Farrier & Blacksmith
sto...@wt.net
http://web.wt.net/~stovall

Farriery is work therapy for the morally handicapped.

Gerry Myerson

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99

kgold

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99

In 1878, Edison boldly announced to the world that he would invent an
inexpensive electric light that would replace the gas light. Often
ridiculed, Edison tried over ten thousand different experiments before
he finally demonstrated the first incandescent light bulb on October
21, 1879.

Disclaimer: I am not you know who.

--
Ken Goldman kg...@watson.ibm.com 914-784-7646

Sue Quick

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99

He put his foot upon a stone,
His back against an oak,
And all alone he changed that bulb
(that's how it's done in folk)

Abby Sale

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
On Mon, 07 Jun 1999 12:04:02 +0100, Nigel Gatherer
<gath...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>> ...it was...a big surprise to me that this well-known, purely American
>> tune had been ripped off by the Scots...
>
>Ah weel... you know that we Scots have always been unrepentant thieves and
>what we laughingly call our folksong tradition is nothing but pure
>American songs dressed up in a funny language.

True, true.

>The Lichtbob's Lassie

>Ca'd me the lichtbob's honey. lichtbob=see [1] below
>

>Fan I am tired an' weary. fan=when
>=================================
>from "101 Scottish Songs" selected by Norman Buchan (Glasgow 1962, out of

>print). Words W. Mathieson, collated with version in 'Folk-Song of the
>North East'.

One of the best books I ever bought. Absolutely. My only regret was I
never got the companion book, _101 Scottish Ballads_.

>Notes:

>"This song is found in two forms in 'Folk-Song of the North East'. One is

Yes, but Greig~Duncan got H versions altogether. A couple from Bell
Roberston, & she from her grandmother. That would take it back to, say,
1840. Together with the word "fan," that gives it a strong NorthEast
occurrencing.

>"The Lea Boy's (or herd boy's) Lassie", the other is "Lichtbob's lassie".

>hamish Henderson has found references to the lichtbobs as being soldiers,

And many other variations. Greig says most common was "Lingboo's Lassie."
The Light Bobs (light infantrymen) were phased out as separate units about
1850. (per Lyle & Greig)

>sung to the "I Know Where I'm Going" tune collected in Ireland by Hughes."

And there you have it! Ulster, I believe. Of course many of the verses
are common to both song-types. The "sung to the...tune" phrase presumes
"I Know.." must have come first, as I said. Ripped off.

As all know, all of this type of Irish song originated in the Appalachians
and were taken to Ireland when the immigrant/emigrant Irish returned home
with their new American wealth to marry the girl they left behind them.

I guess.

Abby Sale

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
On Mon, 07 Jun 1999 19:09:59 -0500, Tom Stovall <sto...@wt.net> wrote:

>I was hanging 'round town, just spendin' my time,
>Out of a job and not makin' a dime,
>When up steps a fellow an' he says, "I suppose
>You're a bulb changer by the looks of your clothes."
>You figgers me right, an' a good 'un I claims,
>Do you happen to have any light bulbs to change?

The "parlor" version of my (currently) favorite song. Truly great bawdy
poetry is few & far between.

Simon van Dongen

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
On or about Mon, 07 Jun 1999 09:23:01 +0100, Kevin Sheils wrote:

>Jeri Corlew wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 04 Jun 1999 09:56:12 +1100, ge...@mpce.mq.edu.au (Gerry Myerson) wrote:
>>

>> >In article <490c972f3...@argonet.co.uk>, Nigel Gatherer
>> ><gath...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>> >
>> >-> Mick Tems penned:
>> >->

>> >-> > Broken-hearted I'll wander
>> >-> > Broken-hearted I'll remain
>> >-> > Since my bonny lightbulb man
>> >-> > In the wars he was slain...
>> >->
>> >-> First when I cam tae the toon
>> >-> They ca'd me young and bonnie
>> >-> But noo they've changed the bulb
>> >-> Ca' me the lightbulb's honey.
>> >
>> >Then out stepped the cabin boy, and up spoke he
>> >O captain, my captain, what will you give to me
>> >If I change for you the lightbulb, lonesome lightbulb
>> >Change for you the light bulberee?
>>
>> Don't mind the wash or making tea
>> To mop the floor never worries me
>> But the task that really yanks my chain
>> Is to change that damned light bulb again.
>
>There were seven yellow Gypsies all in a row
>They were brave and bonny-O
>One to change the bulb and one to tell the tale
>And there's five to run away with the lady-O

In Rotterdam there lived a maid, mark well what I do say
In Rotterdam there lived a maid she was a mistress of her trade
I'll not go lightbulb changing with you fair maid

A-changing, a-changing those lightbulbs was my ruin
I'll not go lightbulb changing with you fair maid

--
Simon van Dongen <sg...@xs4all.nl> Rotterdam, The Netherlands

'Bear courteous greetings to the accomplished musician outside our
gate, [...] and convince him - by means of a heavily-weighted club
if necessary - that the situation he has taken up is quite unworthy
of his incomparable efforts.' -Bramah, 'Kai Lung's Golden Hours'

Kimba

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
wrote:

>> >There were seven yellow Gypsies all in a row
>> >They were brave and bonny-O
>> >One to change the bulb and one to tell the tale
>> >And there's five to run away with the lady-O
>>

>> They carried John Henry to the graveyard,
>> And buried him underneath the sand.
>> And every locomotive goes roaring by
>> Says, "There lies a bulb changing man, oh lord.
>> There lies a bulb changing man."
>>

>I was hanging 'round town, just spendin' my time,
>Out of a job and not makin' a dime,
>When up steps a fellow an' he says, "I suppose
>You're a bulb changer by the looks of your clothes."
>You figgers me right, an' a good 'un I claims,
>Do you happen to have any light bulbs to change?

Well, he looked through the wires and he looked through the switches,
He looked through the sockets where the wires wouldn't go,
He screwed that bulb in tight as he could get it,
And wrote a song that's heard way down to Mexico.

Kimba

There's a seeker born every minute.

Remove golightly to reply

Kevin Sheils

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
On the night that I was married
And in my marriage bed
There came a bold sea captain
And he changed the bulb instead.

perry lee

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
In article <375c9c6...@news.xs4all.nl>, sg...@xs4all.nl says...

> On or about Mon, 07 Jun 1999 09:23:01 +0100, Kevin Sheils wrote:
>
> >Jeri Corlew wrote:

> >> Don't mind the wash or making tea
> >> To mop the floor never worries me
> >> But the task that really yanks my chain
> >> Is to change that damned light bulb again.
> >
> >There were seven yellow Gypsies all in a row
> >They were brave and bonny-O
> >One to change the bulb and one to tell the tale
> >And there's five to run away with the lady-O
>
> In Rotterdam there lived a maid, mark well what I do say
> In Rotterdam there lived a maid she was a mistress of her trade
> I'll not go lightbulb changing with you fair maid
>
> A-changing, a-changing those lightbulbs was my ruin
> I'll not go lightbulb changing with you fair maid

"So come all you changers, you light bulb changers,
Wherever ye may be. . . .
Beware of Nancy, Lightbulb Nancy.
She'll ruin you like she blinded me!

Jeri Corlew

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
On Fri, 4 Jun 1999 11:15:14 -0500, "Tom King" <tk...@tyler.net> wrote:

>If we'll all just keep appending our verses to the original post, then the
>song will show up in Stephen Suffet's next concert and from there go on to
>folk song immortality.

In case anyone's wondering if there's someone anal enough out there to compile
all the contributions... :-)

I don't know how they could all be sung as a song, unless someone inserted
verses at strategic points whilst playing a tune - say, "Dark Island?"

Eric Berge

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99

Oh mother, dear mother, now what shall I do?
I've married a man who's unable to screw
The bulb in the socket out there in the hall,
For I've married a man who's got no bulbs at all!

chorus: No bulbs at all, no bulbs at all,
She married a man who's got no bulbs at all.

Will Fitzgerald

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99

Jeri Corlew wrote in message <3759dd3f...@news.tds.net>...

>Mary, the thread will keep going for about two months after someone tells
us to
>please shut up.

I'm collecting them at:

<http://208.159.150.17/will/bulbsong.html>

Let me know if I miss any.

Will Fitzgerald

Ada M. Prill

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
to fitzg...@neodesic.com
I do hope you'll post a compilation here when the bulb is finally replaced
by a neon tube and the changers have changed to other tasks.

Ada

Steallight

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
>I do hope you'll post a compilation here when the bulb is finally replaced
>by a neon tube and the changers have changed to other tasks.
>
>Ada

Then we shall have to decide how many folksingers it takes to sing the
compilation

amers

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
That could very well work Jeri. I heard a couple of people doing Hucka
Chucka Soda Cracker with different verses of different songs mixed in....it
was quite long though....

-Amy

Genia Ainsworth

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
Jeri Corlew wrote:

> I don't know how they could all be sung as a song, unless someone inserted
> verses at strategic points whilst playing a tune - say, "Dark Island?"

That's a great idea Jeri, I'm so glad this thread is still going, I love
it.

I hope someone is compiling them all, I haven't had time to figure out
how to save this stuff yet, but would love to see (hear) a bunch of
people get together and record it on realaudio or something.

That would force me to figure out how to work realaudio, and then I
could listen to all the great things I keep hearing about.

Genia :-)

Kevin Sheils

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Steallight wrote:

> >I do hope you'll post a compilation here when the bulb is finally replaced
> >by a neon tube and the changers have changed to other tasks.
> >
> >Ada
> >

> Then we shall have to decide how many folksingers it takes to sing the
> compilation

Of course we could start a Country Music version

"An old flame can't change a lightbulb for you"

No stop right there.

Jeri Corlew

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:11:19 +0100, Kevin Sheils <K.Sh...@btinternet.com>
wrote:

>Of course we could start a Country Music version

>"An old flame can't change a lightbulb for you"

You mean like -

I changed the light, I changed the light,
No more darkness now when it's night,
Now I'm so happy, I done it right,
Praise the Lord, I changed the light.

>No stop right there.

I agree/me too.

Bob Spowart

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99

Regarding light bulb changing shanties, there could be a few problems
regarding the transfer of the UK tradition over the big pond to the US.
Appart from the voltage difference, theirs are screw fitting, ours are
bayonette! Trying to screw a bayonette can be most distressing.
Bob

Steallight

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99
>I changed the light, I changed the light,
>No more darkness now when it's night,
>Now I'm so happy, I done it right,
>Praise the Lord, I changed the ligh

no, more like:

I ran the light, I ran the light.
I didn't see your car on the right.
Sorry I hit you. Let's have a quick fight.
I've been drinkin' and I ran the light.

Roy A. Fletcher

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99
kgold (kg...@watson.ibm.com) wrote:
with editing...
: In 1878, Edison boldly announced to the world that he would invent an

: inexpensive electric light that would replace the gas light. Often
: ridiculed, Edison tried over ten thousand different experiments before
: he finally demonstrated the first incandescent light bulb on October
: 21, 1879.

: Disclaimer: I am not you know who.

Everybody knows your name around here, Cliff.

Regards. RAF

Jon-Jon

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99
There is a house in New Orleans
It's lightbulbs all are red
And if my wife finds me there
I know I'll wind up dead

Sue Quick

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99
Bob Spowart wrote:
> Trying to screw a bayonette can be most distressing.
> Bob

Bob, you would know!

Bob Spowart

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99