Julia Ecklar's "Traveller" now shipping (LIMITED PRINT RUN)

Eli Goldberg

Mar 5, 2006, 8:35:19 PM3/5/06
Julia Ecklar's "Traveller" CD (and on-disc PDF songbook) just arrived
back from the duplicators on Friday.

Note that we have already sold ONE THIRD of the print run to pre-ordered
customers and dealers. We are NOT reprinting this one. Don't dally if
you want a copy.

Ordering URL is:

http://www.prometheus-music.com/pre-order/traveller.html

Yours,

Eli

---

THE QUICK SCOOP:
----------------

"I remember reading once about some famous writer (my memory says
Kipling) burning his unpublished early works to prevent anyone from
ever taking them public after his death. While the story is probably
apocryphal, the sentiment certainly rings true."

-- excerpt from Julia Ecklar's CD
introduction

Song List:

The Traveller * Song for Petiron * Tribbles * The Spaceman's Prayer
A Last Evening's Dream * Gambler's Lament * Eulogy * The Light That
Died * Homecoming * The Purple & Orange Conspiracy * Brekke's Lament

When Love is Lost * He's Dead, Jim * Song to a Stranded Warrior: A
Memorial * Christmastime in Sector 5 * Ballad to a Spaceman
Traveller, Part II: Thoughts of a Homeless Alien

Julia Ecklar's first tape, "The Traveller", is now available for CD
pre-order!

Recorded 25 years ago, this CD comprises 17 of Julia's rarest and
earliest works, recorded in her teenage years. We're reprinting this one
by popular request from Julia's most fervent fans.

Each CD also includes a copy of the Traveller Songbook viewable on
your computer in PDF format, as well as a new introduction by Julia.

The pre-order/early purhcase price is $13.97, plus $2.75 shipping.
To purchase, click:

http://www.prometheus-music.com/pre-order/traveller.html

Or by sending a check for $16.72 to:

Eli Goldberg
333 Franklin St. #5
Mountain View CA 94041

THE GORY DETAILS:
-----------------

For those who don't know about Traveler, it was Julia's first tape
in 1981. Clyde Jones recorded it back when she was not only not the rich
and famous filker we know of today (LOL ;-), but wasn't even old enough
to own an automobile, let alone buy alcohol.

Julia allowed Off Centaur to duplicate it, but they quickly put it
out of print. Only about 100-150 copies were ever made. It's so rare
that I've never even seen one.

Fast forward to a year ago. On Ebay, Harold Stein noticed that a
Traveller cassette sold for over $225, followed by an enterprising
seller hand-making pirate copies for sale (we told them to stop). Other
copies have sold for $100+. So we took that as a hint that some folks
*really* wanted a copy of this album, and tracked down the masters
through Clyde Jones.

Scott Dorsey (Kludge Audio) took care of the media transfer,
enabling us to work with them.

Dr. Adam C. Puche oversaw the audio cleanup and master preparation
for this project - the masters were 25 years old, after all! He's
meticulous, smart, and what he's accomplished is pretty amazing. You can
download sample MP3s from The Traveller at:

http://www.prometheus-music.com/eb/

It gets better. Twenty-five years ago, Julia also self-published a
songbook for the Traveller, which is an even rarer filk collectible.
Julia personally scanned this songbook, and I've spent several days
adapting those scans into a printable PDF. After months tracking down
every single songbook illustrator to obtain their permission - as well
as Joe Ellis, who transcribed the songs - we are proud to be including a
printable copy of this PDF on every CD.

I'm very appreciative that Julia is good-humored and self-effacing
enough to allow Traveller to be duplicated in this largely uncut form.
The songbook includes dozens of pages of teenage commentary by Julia,
some of which would be brutally embarrassing today. The only track we
left off was "Southern Land" - we couldn't track down the author, Kris
Seng.

If you're a serious Julia Ecklar fan or collector, you'll want this.
We're only doing one printing. When these are gone, they're gone. And
they won't be for sale on our website, either.

As you know, I value your trust, so I want to be clear: this is less
a reprint of lost Beatles recordings than it is a cleaned-up copy of
John Lennon's home-taped recordings as a 15 year old. Nobody was a
professional when they worked on this tape 25 years ago.

We didn't break the bank on the project like Divine Intervention --
like the tape itself, this CD has overwhelmingly been a volunteer
project. As a result, every penny of profit will go towards the Julia
Ecklar Production Fund. I think it can raise enough to cover about 25%
of the cost of a new studio CD.

Thus, we are very happy to present this album as a carefully
restored rarity of musical fan-fiction, and we hope you'll enjoy it in
the same spirit it was created.

--
Eli Goldberg
Proprietor, Prometheus Music

http://www.prometheus-music.com

Joe Kesselman

Mar 5, 2006, 9:55:43 PM3/5/06
Eli Goldberg wrote:
> Recorded 25 years ago, this CD comprises 17 of Julia's rarest and
> earliest works, recorded in her teenage years.

Hm. Maybe the CD version should have been subtitled: "The (Time) Traveller"

John in Detroit

Mar 6, 2006, 9:39:41 PM3/6/06
Eli Goldberg wrote:
> Julia Ecklar's "Traveller" CD (and on-disc PDF songbook) just arrived
> back from the duplicators on Friday.
>
> Note that we have already sold ONE THIRD of the print run to pre-ordered
> customers and dealers. We are NOT reprinting this one. Don't dally if
> you want a copy.

Eli, I thought I'd tell you my copy arrived here in Today's mail

Yes folks I GOT MINE!!!!

(I also have an original tape, Which I archived to Mini-Disc many moons
ago just to be safe, and backed up on tape as well... However I don't
play tapes much any more)

The original tape I have was purchased from Julia's own hand

Spindler of Kittens

Mar 10, 2006, 11:50:42 AM3/10/06
"John in Detroit" <bla...@blank.net> wrote in message

: Eli Goldberg wrote:
: > Julia Ecklar's "Traveller" CD (and on-disc PDF songbook) just
arrived
: > back from the duplicators on Friday.
: >
: > Note that we have already sold ONE THIRD of the print run to
pre-ordered
: > customers and dealers. We are NOT reprinting this one. Don't dally
if
: > you want a copy.
:
:
: Eli, I thought I'd tell you my copy arrived here in Today's mail
:
: Yes folks I GOT MINE!!!!

I sure misread that expected shipping date.....my brain claimed it was
like, AUGUST. This is better, much better.

Eli Goldberg

Mar 10, 2006, 12:11:17 PM3/10/06
In article <C7iQf.57798$dW3....@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,

Yup. We ship U.S. orders via first-class mail, and almost always within
24 hours of purchase.

Eli

Joe Ellis

Mar 10, 2006, 5:31:33 PM3/10/06
In article <eli-213F72.0...@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com>,
Eli Goldberg <e...@prometheus-music.com> wrote:

I got mine today, 3/10/2006 - not bad from Sunnyvale. I can't tell you
how long it took - the stamps weren't cancelled!

--
Evaluating all GUIs by the example of Windows is like evaluating all cars
by the example of Yugos.

Harold Stein

Mar 10, 2006, 10:48:14 PM3/10/06
Mine showed up yesterday.... Amazing what happens when you tell the
publisher about an early tape on ebay from someone named Julia.....
:) Nice work Eli!!!!

Harold

Eudaemonic Plague

Mar 11, 2006, 1:07:56 AM3/11/06

Maybe tomorrow.....but the MP3s sound pretty nice! This has inspired me
to dig into my old tapes, and I'm listening to Phoenyx - Keepers of the
Flame right now. Drat, I only bought the 30GB iPod. Oh well,
sacrifices must be made. Besides, I've been inadvertantly giving my new
coworkers a musical education the last few weeks....and filk seems to
grabbing their attention in good way, too. I'm sure they'll love this
stuff.

Larry Kirby

Mar 19, 2006, 8:11:48 AM3/19/06
I got my copy in two days, not bad considering it had to come from
California to South Carolina and from 2006 to 1806. (g)

Larry

Sandy Tyra

Mar 19, 2006, 1:00:17 PM3/19/06
Larry Kirby wrote:

We got ours within three days of ordering it. Well done, Eli!

Sandy

Eli Goldberg

Mar 19, 2006, 9:33:57 PM3/19/06
In article <R_gTf.55029$H71....@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
Sandy Tyra <sa...@sa-tech.com> wrote:

Thanks! As always, other people did most of the work, so I can't take
the credit (other than for fast shipment!)

But glad you're happy with it just the same.

Spindler of Kittens

Mar 20, 2006, 2:27:10 PM3/20/06
"Larry Kirby" <mond...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
: I got my copy in two days, not bad considering it had to come

from
: California to South Carolina and from 2006 to 1806. (g)

Not 1632? Oh, right, that'd have to be West Virginia then, too....

I got mine a week ago, I think I ordered it on the 10th...not bad at
all.

People need to slow down, stop putting so many nice things up for
sale....I just can't seem to say "no".

Sean Cleary

Mar 20, 2006, 4:28:40 PM3/20/06
A wonderful thing about this CD is that I can play it in my car. The CD
from the Creaseys that had mixed text and music is not so playable --
it need a computer. They said that there was so many complaints that
they will not do that kind of thing again. So how did you do this?

Sean

John in Detroit

Mar 20, 2006, 9:11:58 PM3/20/06

I don't know how Eli did it, but... Most decent CD burning software (IE:
NERO in my case, or Cakewalk Pyro, also in my case) offers the making of
a "CD=Extra" which has music, THEN data. and that is the hint.

That said I have several CD's I was unable to play (first attempt) on my
portable CD player, which is a good one that does WMA and MP3 and other
formats as well. I've yet to try in other CD players or in a computer

None of these were from the Creaseys though

Eli Goldberg

Mar 20, 2006, 10:15:13 PM3/20/06
In article <1142890120.2...@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Sean Cleary" <seanea...@juno.com> wrote:

I'm not sure why there were problems with the Creasey's disc.

All I know is that there are standards that you follow to provide a
data/audio master that do not cause problems in conventional CD players,
and we just followed them.

Sorry!

Scott Dorsey

Mar 21, 2006, 10:39:27 AM3/21/06
Eli Goldberg <e...@prometheus-music.com> wrote:
>In article <1142890120.2...@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> "Sean Cleary" <seanea...@juno.com> wrote:
>
>> A wonderful thing about this CD is that I can play it in my car. The CD
>> from the Creaseys that had mixed text and music is not so playable --
>> it need a computer. They said that there was so many complaints that
>> they will not do that kind of thing again. So how did you do this?
>>
>> Sean
>
>I'm not sure why there were problems with the Creasey's disc.
>
>All I know is that there are standards that you follow to provide a
>data/audio master that do not cause problems in conventional CD players,
>and we just followed them.

Historically, first there was the audio CD. And then, a few years later,
there was the CD-ROM. When the CD-ROM came out, one of the things built
into the standard was the ability to make a "multisession" disc that
contained an an audio volume and also a CD-ROM filesystem later on.
I think the first multisession disc I saw was a demo from an audio
equipment manufacturer back in 1985 or so.

Anyway, this is how the Traveller disc was set up, and it's probably
what Nero does for the fellow earlier in this thread who mentioned that.

I have not seen the Creasey's disc but I would assume that it's just a
CD-ROM volume with some audio files on it.

There ARE a few CD players out there that can play CD-ROMs with ISO filesystems
of MP3 files. Marantz makes one that I have used in installed sound systems
before. But there's no real standard for it and there's no assurance of
compatibility.
--scott

John in Detroit

Mar 21, 2006, 10:50:43 AM3/21/06

There are really only two things that need to be done to make a DISC
playable in a audio player (Assuming it can play complex or "R" discs
that is)

1: Put the AUDIO first, if the player encounters "Data" it will belch
2: Finalize the disc.. This makes it playable

Scott Dorsey

Mar 21, 2006, 11:09:17 AM3/21/06
John in Detroit <bla...@blank.net> wrote:

>There are really only two things that need to be done to make a DISC
>playable in a audio player (Assuming it can play complex or "R" discs
>that is)
>
>1: Put the AUDIO first, if the player encounters "Data" it will belch

This is true.

>2: Finalize the disc.. This makes it playable

This is something that you do ONLY when not recording in "disc-at-once"
mode.... it's something that you do with standalone players and with
recording systems that record a track at a time and then place a secondary
VTOC on the disc so the tracks can be seen (which strictly speaking does
not meet the Red Book standard even though I have never seen a player that
barfs on them).

Pressing plants will not accept discs made this way as replication masters.

Discs made in "disc-at-once" mode have a disc image generated in memory,
which is then burned to disc all in one operation without stopping the
laser at any point. This means there are no breaks in the image on the
disc, which is a must for replication.

Message has been deleted

John in Detroit

Mar 21, 2006, 5:20:53 PM3/21/06

Absolutley, however I still have pressed discs that won't play.

One thing that has been done by many music houses (Not just sony) is
copy protection, I do not know much about all the copy protection
schemes out there but I do know a bit about copy protection back in the
days of the Commodore 64... And it often made the computer disk, and
thus the game upon it, "unplayable"

It may be that some sort of scheme is being used that makes it either
hard to play, or impossible.... I'm not a fan of copy protection

Joseph Kesselman

Mar 21, 2006, 5:29:21 PM3/21/06
John in Detroit wrote:
> It may be that some sort of scheme is being used that makes it either
> hard to play, or impossible.... I'm not a fan of copy protection

There are some standard techniques for making CDs hard to play/rip in
standard computer software, by (ab)using the multisession concept. There
are some standard ways to try to get around that.

John in Detroit

Mar 21, 2006, 10:02:29 PM3/21/06
Joseph Kesselman wrote:
> John in Detroit wrote:
>
>> It may be that some sort of scheme is being used that makes it either
>> hard to play, or impossible.... I'm not a fan of copy protection
>

> There are some standard techniques for making CDs hard to play/rip in
> standard computer software, by (ab)using the multisession concept. There
> are some standard ways to try to get around that.

Oh yes, getting around it, even copying in the presence of Sony's highly
offensive root-kit software, is not a problem, takes me about 30
minutes to copy the audio off such a disk.. sans the nasty stuff.

But then I have hardware designed for the job... Not PC based

Don't much use it any more but back when I first started converting MD
to CD I used it all the time

Filksinger

Mar 21, 2006, 11:21:01 PM3/21/06
Scott Dorsey wrote:

> There ARE a few CD players out there that can play CD-ROMs with ISO filesystems
> of MP3 files. Marantz makes one that I have used in installed sound systems
> before. But there's no real standard for it and there's no assurance of
> compatibility.
> --scott

More than a few, now. Most DVD players will play CDs of MP3s, though I
have yet to test a DVD of MP3s. And Walmart has a portable CD player
that will play MP3s for about $25. Most stores that have a decent
electronics section will have at least one portable MP3 disk player.

--
Filksinger
AKA David Nasset, Sr.

Paul Rubin

Mar 21, 2006, 11:30:40 PM3/21/06
Filksinger <use...@filksinger.mailshell.com> writes:
> More than a few, now. Most DVD players will play CDs of MP3s, though I
> have yet to test a DVD of MP3s. And Walmart has a portable CD player
> that will play MP3s for about $25. Most stores that have a decent
> electronics section will have at least one portable MP3 disk player.

CD/MP3 portables are very common. There's tons of them at jr.com and
places like that. The feature is also quite common in car cd players
now. I have an in-dash JVC player that's fairly old by now. I tend
to leave a single disc full of MP3's in it for weeks at a time, since
it holds around a dozen cd's worth of music, so it takes quite a few
commutes to play it all. Then I switch to a different disc (I've made
three or four of them, which seems to be enough).

JVC now makes some in-dash DVD players that can play DVD's of MP3's,
and assuming they can play 8.5GB dual layer DVD's, that seems to me to
remove most of the usefulness of a hard drive player.

Portable CD/MP3 players tend to run on two AA cells like plain CD
players, and they get plenty of runtime. But portable DVD players
invariably use lithium ion rechargeables, which I hate because of
their incompatibility with other devices and their high replacement
cost. I try to use NiMH AA's in all of my heavily used electronic
devices.

John in Detroit

Mar 22, 2006, 8:18:16 AM3/22/06
Filksinger wrote:

> More than a few, now. Most DVD players will play CDs of MP3s, though I
> have yet to test a DVD of MP3s. And Walmart has a portable CD player
> that will play MP3s for about $25. Most stores that have a decent
> electronics section will have at least one portable MP3 disk player.

I have a Curtis-Mathis (Re-branded somethign else) portable I have had
for a couple of years plugged into my car's audio system.. Plays MP3
just fine.

I own, but do not have (it is on permenate loan) a "Boom Box" GTX (so
cheap it would cost me more in gas to go get it than it's worth, which
is why it's on permenate loan) same thing

The Pioneer in-dash in one of my rides... Likewise,

you are right, today it's more common to see CD players that do MP3 than
it is to see CD players that don't

That said I have one (very old) DVD player that won't play anything
other than pressed discs

Scott Dorsey

Mar 22, 2006, 12:03:34 PM3/22/06
Joseph Kesselman <keshlam...@comcast.net> wrote:
>John in Detroit wrote:
>> It may be that some sort of scheme is being used that makes it either
>> hard to play, or impossible.... I'm not a fan of copy protection
>
>There are some standard techniques for making CDs hard to play/rip in
>standard computer software, by (ab)using the multisession concept. There
>are some standard ways to try to get around that.

If it doesn't meet the Red Book/Yellow Book standards, it's not a CD.
It's just something that looks like a CD. If it doesn't have the Compact
Disc logo on the box, send it back with a furious letter.

There is no excuse for this crap, because it doesn't prevent copying, it
only prevents legitimate use.

Scott Dorsey

Mar 22, 2006, 12:07:43 PM3/22/06
John in Detroit <bla...@blank.net> wrote:

>That said I have one (very old) DVD player that won't play anything
>other than pressed discs

That's a seperate issue. DVD players have a higher frequency (bluer)
laser than the IR lasers in CD players. They do this so they can make
discs with smaller pits for higher data density.

The downside of this is that the dye images on CD-Rs, which are primarily
absorptive in the IR, are invisible (or nearly invisible) to the laser used
for reading DVDs.

Later DVD players have a seperate laser for reading CDs, specifically
because CD-R compatibility was such a major issue with the older ones. But
not all units out there can do this.

The CD-R isn't really a CD, and it doesn't have the same characteristics
as a normal pressed CD even if the data on it is the same. It certainly
will not have the longevity of a conventional pressing.

Joseph Kesselman

Mar 22, 2006, 12:31:48 PM3/22/06
Scott Dorsey wrote:
> If it doesn't meet the Red Book/Yellow Book standards, it's not a CD.

I don't know if a multisession CD meets those standards or not, but they
aren't uncommon as a simple way of making a music CD autolaunch its own
multimedia player (and making it just a trifle harder for an
eight-year-old to post music tracks onto the Internet).

For our purposes, the important point is to make sure your CD will play
as a CD even if you provide bonus features for folks who load it in
their computers.

Scott Dorsey

Mar 22, 2006, 1:18:48 PM3/22/06
Joseph Kesselman <keshlam...@comcast.net> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> If it doesn't meet the Red Book/Yellow Book standards, it's not a CD.
>
>I don't know if a multisession CD meets those standards or not, but they
>aren't uncommon as a simple way of making a music CD autolaunch its own
>multimedia player (and making it just a trifle harder for an
>eight-year-old to post music tracks onto the Internet).

A properly-made multisession CD meets the Yellow Book standards. The guys
who came up with the original CD-ROM format were pretty ingenious, and
they designed the multisession stuff into the standard from the start.

>For our purposes, the important point is to make sure your CD will play
>as a CD even if you provide bonus features for folks who load it in
>their computers.

Absolutely.

Filksinger

Mar 23, 2006, 12:04:20 AM3/23/06
Scott Dorsey wrote:
<snip>

> The CD-R isn't really a CD, and it doesn't have the same characteristics
> as a normal pressed CD even if the data on it is the same. It certainly
> will not have the longevity of a conventional pressing.
> --scott

Actually, while there is some controversy about the lifespan of optical
media, it appears that pressed CDs frequently having a significantly
shorter lifespan than CD-Rs.

Joe Kesselman

Mar 23, 2006, 12:10:29 AM3/23/06
Filksinger wrote:
> Actually, while there is some controversy about the lifespan of optical
> media, it appears that pressed CDs frequently having a significantly
> shorter lifespan than CD-Rs.

There's controversy over that statement too.

The nice thing about digital media is -- modulo copyprot -- you can
completely protect the data by copying it to new media before it has a
chance to fail. The nice thing about CD media is that even if a few bits
start to fail, ECC can often read past them. And the nice thing about CD
audio format is that even if you can't recover the data, the convention
is to interpolate across the gap, which is *usually* enough to yield
acceptably listenable results. For archiving I consider digital a big
improvement over snap-crackle-pop of vinyl or print-thru of magtape,
though I respect folks' right to disagree.

Filksinger

Mar 23, 2006, 12:26:54 AM3/23/06
Joe Kesselman wrote:
> Filksinger wrote:
>> Actually, while there is some controversy about the lifespan of
>> optical media, it appears that pressed CDs frequently having a
>> significantly shorter lifespan than CD-Rs.
>
> There's controversy over that statement too.

There certainly is. It isn't even coherent. I must have screwed up in
editing somewhere.

That should read, "Actually, while there is some controversy about the
lifespan of optical media, it appears that some experts report pressed
CDs as frequently having a significantly shorter lifespan than CD-Rs.

John in Detroit

Mar 23, 2006, 7:44:52 AM3/23/06
Filksinger wrote:

> That should read, "Actually, while there is some controversy about the
> lifespan of optical media, it appears that some experts report pressed
> CDs as frequently having a significantly shorter lifespan than CD-Rs.

True, Some experts seem to think CD's only last a couple of years...
Which fails totally to explain the large number of CD's both burned and
Pressed I have going back to 1998 (Burned) and earlier (Pressed)
which still play perfectly

Cassette tapes that old take some serious "TLC" if I'm going to play
them (This includes my original Traveler Tape, Which thanks to TLC did
play the last time I tried... Of course I have copies. both digital and
analog)

Scott Dorsey

Mar 23, 2006, 10:05:29 AM3/23/06
Filksinger <use...@filksinger.mailshell.com> wrote:

>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>
>> The CD-R isn't really a CD, and it doesn't have the same characteristics
>> as a normal pressed CD even if the data on it is the same. It certainly
>> will not have the longevity of a conventional pressing.
>
>Actually, while there is some controversy about the lifespan of optical
>media, it appears that pressed CDs frequently having a significantly
>shorter lifespan than CD-Rs.

I wouldn't say "frequently" but there have been some known problems with
some pressing plants in the past. I have seen a lot of Italian pressings
that have had premature failures, and of course there was the early Nimbus
stuff where the silkscreen label ate through the metallized layer.

The CD having been around for 25 years now (doesn't that make you feel old?),
most of the real problems with the pressing process have been tracked down.
But that doesn't mean that plants don't cut corners.

Spindler of Kittens

Mar 23, 2006, 10:28:41 AM3/23/06
"John in Detroit" <bla...@blank.net> wrote in message
[snip]
: tapes that old take some serious "TLC" if I'm going to play

: them (This includes my original Traveler Tape, Which thanks to TLC
did
: play the last time I tried... Of course I have copies. both digital
and
: analog)

I have cassette tapes going back to the 70s, and the only ones that
have any problem playing, are those that received abuse at some point.
Proper care and storage of tapes can make them viable long after
mistreated tapes have been trashed. Recently, I've been digitizing a
bunch of my tapes (mostly 10-15 years old), and getting excellent
results. I suppose the fact that I've mostly used Maxell XLIIs may be
why, but on the other hand, I have recordings that I made in the 70s
on Certron and other extremely inexpensive tapes that don't sound any
different....which isn't to say that they sound "good" or anything,
but that's probably got more to do with the cheap tape recorders I had
access to back then.

I also have CD-Rs that I burned within the last couple of years that
have been stored in jewel cases, and only used a couple of times, that
seem to have lost most of their data...I suspect the fluorescent
lighting in my basement may have something to do with that, though.

John in Detroit

Mar 23, 2006, 9:52:56 PM3/23/06

Well,, The only CD's I have which lost data did so due to physical
abuse, and in some cases I was able to recover the lost data (one in
particular, Thank you Disk Doctor)

As for tapes.. Sounds like you have been giving them TLC.

I do have an original Traveler Tape. Last time I took it out of the
software vault it still sounded... Well... Better than the CD.

However I do admit it's been a few years since I took that tape out. (I
play a copy of it though.. Tapes like that, I make a safety copy and
slap the original in a lock box)

Kay Shapero

Mar 29, 2006, 2:43:40 AM3/29/06
In article <J8zUf.62570$dW3....@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
misl...@ameritech.net says...

> Recently, I've been digitizing a
> bunch of my tapes (mostly 10-15 years old), and getting excellent
> results.

What sort of device do I need to digitize a tape? I've got a lot of Off
Centaur tapes I'd like to put on CD to play.

--
Kay Shapero
reply address munged - use my first name at kayshapero dot net

Paul Rubin

Mar 29, 2006, 3:08:41 AM3/29/06
Kay Shapero <kaysh...@invalid.see.sig> writes:
> What sort of device do I need to digitize a tape? I've got a lot of Off
> Centaur tapes I'd like to put on CD to play.

You can do it either with a computer sound card or a standalone
digital recorder. Some sound cards have better audio quality than
others, with typical consumer ones sounding pretty bad.

http://core-sound.com

sells some good ones. I use a standalone recorder:

http://www.nightsong.com/phr/pmd660.html

You've seen me at filk events with it. I rarely use it for anything
except filk events, so if you want to borrow it temporarily and you're
not in a hurry, we can probably set something up.

John in Detroit

Mar 29, 2006, 8:36:27 AM3/29/06
Kay Shapero wrote:

> What sort of device do I need to digitize a tape? I've got a lot of Off
> Centaur tapes I'd like to put on CD to play.

Basically you need a computer. If you want to do a better job upgrade
the computer's sound card (Turtle Beach makes some good ones as does
Hauppauge, however I'm not up to par as to which models are good, bad,
or indifferent)

Some software,,, Cakewalk Pyro 5, Audicity, Total recorder (pick one,
I have all all 3 lying about and have used Cakewalk and TR, TR has a lot
of other interesting features that make it well worth the money but the
cleanup filters are extra)

And of course a CD burner for your computer

Lee Gold

Mar 29, 2006, 8:48:49 AM3/29/06
Kay Shapero wrote:

> In article <J8zUf.62570$dW3....@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
> misl...@ameritech.net says...
> > Recently, I've been digitizing a
> > bunch of my tapes (mostly 10-15 years old), and getting excellent
> > results.
>
> What sort of device do I need to digitize a tape? I've got a lot of Off
> Centaur tapes I'd like to put on CD to play.

The last I read, the home recordable CDs weren't said not to last nearly
as long as the commercial CDs, and magnetic tape was recommended
instead.

--Lee

Rob Wynne

Mar 29, 2006, 8:58:34 AM3/29/06

Personally, what I would do is convert it to digital files, burn them to
CDs, AND store them as .mp3 files. (Yes, it's lossy. I'm just hard
enough of hearing that I don't actually care.) And I'll store copies of
the digital files in as many places as I can manage.

The ideas is to preserve the sound. The best way to do that is to
convert the sound into a format that doesn't degrade from copy to copy.
The medium is only a secondary concern.

-R

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

Paul Rubin

Mar 29, 2006, 9:11:28 AM3/29/06
John in Detroit <bla...@blank.net> writes:
> > What sort of device do I need to digitize a tape? I've got a lot of
> > Off Centaur tapes I'd like to put on CD to play.
>
> Basically you need a computer.

Actually we're both giving overcomplicated answers. If all that's
desired is audio cd's (CDDA), any stereo store sells cd recorders that
work about the same way as cassette recorders (i.e. they have analog
inputs that you connect to your other stereo components). You have to
buy special "audio" cd-r's for them, on which they charge a special
tax paid to the RIAA. Technologically though, this is about the
simplest approach.

The other methods we're discussing are needed if Kay wants to listen
to the digitized files on her computer, or on a portable digital
player or something like that. These make more sense than cd's these
days, IMO.

Scott Dorsey

Mar 29, 2006, 10:08:36 AM3/29/06

This is true. But it can be a lot more convenient. So dub your cassettes
to CD for playback, but don't throw out the originals.

Joseph Kesselman

Mar 29, 2006, 10:42:17 AM3/29/06
Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>The last I read, the home recordable CDs weren't said not to last nearly
>>as long as the commercial CDs, and magnetic tape was recommended
>>instead.
>
> This is true. But it can be a lot more convenient. So dub your cassettes
> to CD for playback, but don't throw out the originals.

It can also be ameliorated by periodically copying the recordable CDs to
fresh media -- unlike tape, there's no information lost with each
generation. (Which is precisely why the recording industry gets nervous.)

David G. Bell

Mar 29, 2006, 3:17:02 AM3/29/06
On Wednesday, in article
<MPG.1e93d966...@news.west.earthlink.net>
kaysh...@invalid.see.sig "Kay Shapero" wrote:

> In article <J8zUf.62570$dW3....@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
> misl...@ameritech.net says...
> > Recently, I've been digitizing a
> > bunch of my tapes (mostly 10-15 years old), and getting excellent
> > results.
>
> What sort of device do I need to digitize a tape? I've got a lot of Off
> Centaur tapes I'd like to put on CD to play.

Essentially, any modern computer with a CD burner and sound card.
There's a range of software available, often quite inexpensive. If
you've ever copied a tape using two machines, it's the same principle.
String a lead from the tape-machine output to the matching computer
sound input.

My ears are old enough that I'm not too bothered by sound quality; other
people are probably right about the difference between the default on-
motherboard sound hardware and the add-on cards available.

Just to make CD copies, you don';t need to worry about MP3 or anything
like that.

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."

John in Detroit

Mar 29, 2006, 8:27:23 PM3/29/06

True, and at oh, say 50-100 for the sound card (if she upgrades) about
the same for software and she likely has the CD burner, which by the way
uses standard no RIAA tax cd's

And 200-500 for the stand alone, which only uses RIAA taxed cd's (marked
Music, which are usually the same price)

Be aware that I do not like supporting the RIAA being as all digital
original recordings I make they taxed the media (thankfully I use
erasable media for the original recording) and the material I'm
recording is either singing where I am personally involved (as a
performer) or, interviews where I am party of a part, or music
(instermental) where my Daughter is performing.

I don't think I should be paying the RIAA

John in Detroit

Mar 29, 2006, 8:30:52 PM3/29/06

Lee... I read that batch of organic ferterlizer myself.

Someone said that CD's only last a year or two,,, I think he dropped a
zero or two myself. With proper care and proper labeling (you use a
caustic adhesive on the label... Well, then perhaps) but I've got many 5
year or older cd's here, burned cd's from before my Daughter entered
college (she will be in her 7th year in college this summer, she has her
BA, is working on her Masters... I'm trying to talk her into piling it
higher and deeper) and I switched to CD back when she was in high school

Kay Shapero

Mar 31, 2006, 8:07:29 PM3/31/06
In article <%tGWf.49418$2O6....@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>,
bla...@blank.net says...

> Be aware that I do not like supporting the RIAA being as all digital
> original recordings I make they taxed the media (thankfully I use
> erasable media for the original recording) and the material I'm
> recording is either singing where I am personally involved (as a
> performer) or, interviews where I am party of a part, or music
> (instermental) where my Daughter is performing.
>
> I don't think I should be paying the RIAA

Nor do I really think they have a right to a fee for my data backups,
which is what *I* generally use CD-Rs for... :(

Meanwhile, everybody, you've answered my question - sounds like all I
need is a tape player to hook up to my computer. I'll go out and pick up
a decent portable - I am not even going to TRY to bring my bedroom stereo
downstairs to the computer room, thank you very much... :)

Kay Shapero

Mar 31, 2006, 8:07:30 PM3/31/06
In article <e0e7tk$7dl$1...@panix2.panix.com>, klu...@panix.com says...

> This is true. But it can be a lot more convenient. So dub your cassettes
> to CD for playback, but don't throw out the originals.

No danger of that (original Off Centaur tapes???). My main purpose is to
be able to play the music without damaging the tapes, after all.

And like someone else in this thread said, I do indeed intend to keep
MP3s as well. One of my favorite things about computers is the way you
can keep multiple copies of stuff you really don't want to lose, like
books and music and...

Paul Rubin

Mar 31, 2006, 9:04:17 PM3/31/06
Kay Shapero <kaysh...@invalid.see.sig> writes:
> Meanwhile, everybody, you've answered my question - sounds like all I
> need is a tape player to hook up to my computer. I'll go out and pick up
> a decent portable - I am not even going to TRY to bring my bedroom stereo
> downstairs to the computer room, thank you very much... :)

Use a high quality deck if you can.

haro...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2006, 5:31:56 PM4/1/06
Kay - Contact me off list and I can give you a hand with this. Also,
some directions you CAN add into the faq (along with some suggestions
on free software I used to use.)

Please use the panix email and not Gmail since I never check it.

Harold S.

John in Detroit

Apr 2, 2006, 5:43:54 PM4/2/06
Kay Shapero wrote:

> Nor do I really think they have a right to a fee for my data backups,
> which is what *I* generally use CD-Rs for... :(

As I understand it, Data cd-r's (Ones set up for computer burners) are
not RIAA taxed,,, even if you burn music to them

Only the ones marked MUSIC are RIAA taxed

Which is yet another reason the RIAA tax lacks intelegence

Filksinger

Apr 3, 2006, 3:35:11 AM4/3/06

This is absolutely correct.

Do not waste your time on "music" CD-Rs. They are physically identical
to data CD-Rs, except that the word "music" is written on them.

Paul Rubin

Apr 3, 2006, 4:02:04 AM4/3/06
Filksinger <use...@filksinger.mailshell.com> writes:
> Do not waste your time on "music" CD-Rs. They are physically identical
> to data CD-Rs, except that the word "music" is written on them.

They have a special data field that consumer CD audio recorders look
for. Those recorders won't record on data disks.

John in Detroit

Apr 3, 2006, 8:04:06 AM4/3/06
Filksinger wrote:

> Do not waste your time on "music" CD-Rs. They are physically identical
> to data CD-Rs, except that the word "music" is written on them.

Only if I'm using the computer to burn the CD Filk, only if I"m using
the computer to burn the cd... If I'm using the stand alone then I don't
have a choice, no "Music" = no work since there IS a digital difference
on the CD

Scott Dorsey

Apr 3, 2006, 9:51:32 AM4/3/06

This is the case only for the "consumer" standalone recorders. If you buy
a "professional" recorder you can use the standard computer blanks (although
it is getting to be hard to find ones that can record reliably at 1X these
days). Some of the professional recorders, like the HHb BurnIt, can be
found as cheaply as the consumer units too.

John in Detroit

Apr 3, 2006, 5:28:34 PM4/3/06
Scott Dorsey wrote:

> This is the case only for the "consumer" standalone recorders. If you buy
> a "professional" recorder you can use the standard computer blanks (although
> it is getting to be hard to find ones that can record reliably at 1X these
> days). Some of the professional recorders, like the HHb BurnIt, can be
> found as cheaply as the consumer units too.
> --scott

You may safely assume my budget does not include professional cd burners

That said, True, however my stand alone cd burner is 1: For sale and 2:
not a professional unit CLASSIC Model 201 I think I no longer need it
since every function it performs is duplicated by at least one of my
computers and faster as well

Filksinger

Apr 4, 2006, 10:52:17 PM4/4/06

Sorry. You are correct, if one is not using a computer, it does matter.
I never use stand-alone recorders, and completely forgot.