"Monteverdi" violins

Oliver Webber

Sep 7, 2006, 3:37:09 PM9/7/06
Readers may be interested in the following website:
www.themonteverdiviolins.com

The Gabrieli Consort and Players' recording of the Monteverdi Vespers
will be released very soon; for this recording we commissioned 2
violins from luthier George Stoppani. This website tells the story of
why and how the violins were made, and explores some of the broader
issues of early music performance that were raised in the process.

Do visit if you have time; comments always welcome, either here or in
the associated blog.

Best wishes to all readers

Oliver Webber

Dario Luisi

Sep 11, 2006, 7:14:07 AM9/11/06
Oliver Webber ha scritto:

Ver nice, finally!
I heard the examples, the violins sounds very, very good, I loved them
(nicely played too, indeed!)
Thank you
Greetings,
Dario Luisi

Dario Luisi

Sep 11, 2006, 7:17:14 AM9/11/06
Oliver Webber ha scritto:
Addenda

Sorry, some questions:
1) How did you hold the violins during the recording?
2) How did you hold the bow (thumb)?
3) Wich bows
4) What about the other string instruments (Cello size, Altos sizes, etc)?
Bye,
Dario Luisi

Roger E. Blumberg

Sep 11, 2006, 7:52:28 PM9/11/06

> From: "Oliver Webber" <ow...@aol.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.music.early
> Date: 7 Sep 2006 12:37:09 -0700
> Subject: "Monteverdi" violins

Oliver;

Thanks for that article on Equal-Tension All-Gut Stringing
http://www.themonteverdiviolins.org/strings.html

and due to the clips; I plan on getting that Vespers CD when released.

Thanks
Roger

Oliver Webber

Sep 12, 2006, 6:45:12 AM9/12/06

Dario Luisi wrote:
> Oliver Webber ha scritto:
> > Readers may be interested in the following website:
> > www.themonteverdiviolins.com
> >
> > The Gabrieli Consort and Players' recording of the Monteverdi Vespers
> > will be released very soon; for this recording we commissioned 2
> > violins from luthier George Stoppani. This website tells the story of
> > why and how the violins were made, and explores some of the broader
> > issues of early music performance that were raised in the process.
> >
> > Do visit if you have time; comments always welcome, either here or in
> > the associated blog.
> >
> > Best wishes to all readers
> >
> > Oliver Webber
> >
> Addenda
>
> Sorry, some questions:
> 1) How did you hold the violins during the recording?

Catherine and I have slightly different styles: she sholds hers on the
collar bone, I hold mine lower, on the breast.

> 2) How did you hold the bow (thumb)?

Again, we differed there too! She holds hers with thumb on stick, I
play with thumb on hair. I looked at a lot of paintings from this
period and found that illustrations of both types of bow-hold seem
equally common! But there is more research to be done here I think.

> 3) Wich bows

Ah - a good question! We had hoped to have some bows specially made
too, but couldn't find the right model in time. So we used 17th century
models, one by Hans Reiners, one by... can't remember, need to check!
Both short fixed-frog bows. We hope to have bows made in due course -
one of the viola players in the ensemble, Emma Alter, is a bow maker
who is currently researching appropriate 17th century models so we look
forwadr to the results.

> 4) What about the other string instruments (Cello size, Altos sizes, etc)?

The "cello" was the large bass violin you can see in some of the
pictures on the site; based on a 17th century Italian anonymous
original. I will need to check the viola details for you! This is
really the beginning of a big project, and we are still in the process
of deciding about viola models - we also need to raise a lot more money
before we can get any more instruments made!! But I am very excited
about the prospect.

Thanks for looking at the site: I'm glad you enjoyed it and am always
pleased to answer questions

Best wishes

Oliver Webber

magli...@maglinders.net

Sep 12, 2006, 7:33:19 AM9/12/06

Oliver Webber wrote:
> Readers may be interested in the following website:
> www.themonteverdiviolins.com
>

> Do visit if you have time; comments always welcome, either here or in
> the associated blog.

The blog is at http://themonteverdiviolins.blogspot.com/

There is an 'open thread' for comments. If that gets a bit full (taking
too long to load) another general discussion thread can be added by the
bloggers.

Jill