sensitve manatee

william routhier

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

I finally figured out, definitively, what he's saying in 'Not Dark Yet!'
I heard it during the video on Real Video off of bobdylan.com, where
the sound has been remastered so that it truely sounds like Bob when
he's at his mumbling best. What he's saying isn't 'sense of humanity'
going down the drain, it's 'sensitive manatee', an obvious ecological
reference to the plight of these very sensitive and gentle creatures,
manatees, who are seriously threatened by all the boats and pollution in
the Florida canals and the everglades. After all, the album was recorded
in Florida, home of the manatee, and Bob must have had it on his mind,
maybe
read about a story in the paper or saw something on TV. Or maybe he even
had one down there as a pet, which account him saying 'MY sensitive
manatee,' making the line all the more poignant and sorrowful.

I rest my case.

Bill (it all makes sense when you look closely and really think about
it) Routhier

william routhier

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

william routhier

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

John Howells

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

I'm surprised no has mentioned the single live version of "Not Dark
Yet" where he clearly enunciates "my sense of humanity". And I'm one
of the ones who insisted it was "my sense of temerity" on the album.
The live version clearly shows he meant to sing "humanity". Case
closed for me.

--

John Howells
how...@bigfoot.com

Valley

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

lol, I'm laughing now, but I'm willing to bet I'll never take this line
seriously again.

BTW, happy new years everyone.

DylInn61

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

Subject: sensitve manatee
From: Valley <dva...@ADSS.ON.CA>
Date: Wed, Dec 31, 1997 11:19 PM

lol, I'm laughing now, but I'm willing to bet I'll never take this line
seriously again.

BTW, happy new years everyone.

*come on, sensitive manatee, you've got to be joking. and: "Or maybe he even

had one down there as a pet, which account him saying 'MY sensitive manatee,'

making the line all the more poignant and sorrowful." lol, I can't picture
dylan taking his manatee out for a walk, or a swim.

>I finally figured out, definitively, what he's saying in 'Not Dark >Yet!'
>I heard it during the video on Real Video off of bobdylan.com, where
>the sound has been remastered so that it truely sounds like Bob when
>he's at his mumbling best. What he's saying isn't 'sense of humanity'
>going down the drain, it's 'sensitive manatee', an obvious ecological
>reference to the plight of these very sensitive and gentle creatures,
>manatees, who are seriously threatened by all the boats and pollution >in
>the Florida canals and the everglades. After all, the album was recorded
>in Florida, home of the manatee, and Bob must have had it on his mind,
>maybe
>read about a story in the paper or saw something on TV. Or maybe he even
>had one down there as a pet, which account him saying 'MY sensitive
>manatee,' making the line all the more poignant and sorrowful.

>I rest my case.

>Bill (it all makes sense when you look closely and really think about
>it) Routhier

Frankie Lee

Maureen & Stephen Scobie

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

In article <34A92483...@tiac.net>, william routhier
<rout...@tiac.net> wrote:

> I finally figured out, definitively, what he's saying in 'Not Dark Yet!'
> I heard it during the video on Real Video off of bobdylan.com, where
> the sound has been remastered so that it truely sounds like Bob when
> he's at his mumbling best. What he's saying isn't 'sense of humanity'
> going down the drain, it's 'sensitive manatee', an obvious ecological
> reference to the plight of these very sensitive and gentle creatures,
> manatees, who are seriously threatened by all the boats and pollution in
> the Florida canals and the everglades. After all, the album was recorded
> in Florida, home of the manatee, and Bob must have had it on his mind,
> maybe
> read about a story in the paper or saw something on TV. Or maybe he even
> had one down there as a pet, which account him saying 'MY sensitive
> manatee,' making the line all the more poignant and sorrowful.

Dear Bill, I am deeply concerned about the fate of this poor creature,
which has "gone down the drain" -- flushed, perhaps, in a moment of
carelessness. How would it survive life in the sewer, especially since it
is so sensitive? Would it be afflicted by mind-polluting words? Or might
it (we can but hope) follow the river down to the sea? Down to New
Orleans? Might it now have escaped vile human captivity and be restored to
its ocean home? Is this sensitive manatee perhaps the one great image of
hope on the album? Has it been saved? Has it made it to the Highlands?

With all best wishes for a Good New Year,

Stephen

william routhier

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

We can only hope with all our hearts, Steven.

Best wishes in the new year to you likewise...

Bill R.

william routhier

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

DylInn61 wrote:

> Subject: sensitve manatee
> From: Valley <dva...@ADSS.ON.CA>
> Date: Wed, Dec 31, 1997 11:19 PM
>
> lol, I'm laughing now, but I'm willing to bet I'll never take this
> line
> seriously again.
>
> BTW, happy new years everyone.

> *come on, sensitive manatee, you've got to be joking. and: "Or maybe

> he even
> had one down there as a pet, which account him saying 'MY sensitive
> manatee,'

> making the line all the more poignant and sorrowful." lol, I can't
> picture
> dylan taking his manatee out for a walk, or a swim.

You can laugh and make light, but it's no joke to the manatee, or to
Bob.

Bill ("this here's an ecology song" - a Bob into to Wiggle Wiggle)
Routhier

william routhier

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

Valley wrote:

> lol, I'm laughing now, but I'm willing to bet I'll never take this
> line
> seriously again.

(sorry. Forget I brought it up.)

Bill (don't wanna be a party pooper... don't wanna be pooped on...)
Routhier

Yojimbug

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

john howells wrote:>
>I'm surprised no has mentioned the single live version of "Not Dark
>Yet" where he clearly enunciates "my sense of humanity". And I'm one
>of the ones who insisted it was "my sense of temerity" on the album.
>The live version clearly shows he meant to sing "humanity". Case
>closed for me.

wow! i've been in the 'temerity' camp from the beginning, but when i heard the
live version i thought there would be no doubt in anyone's mind that it was
temerity. case closed for me! unbelievable! you've heard it and think it's
humanity? i'm stunned. we're gonna need a televised version with a close-up
on his lips. or edna gunderson's gotta ask him about this next time she
interviews him.
i know this subject is tiresome & i apologize for my lack of self control
in continuing it, but it does make me a little crazy. i think i exhausted my
self-control in not responding to the people who said the clintons were cool.
yojimbug

my voice is really warm
it's just that it ain't got no form
it's just like a dead man's last pistol shot, baby! -bob

william routhier

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

DylInn61 wrote:

> Subject: sensitve manatee
> From: Valley <dva...@ADSS.ON.CA>
> Date: Wed, Dec 31, 1997 11:19 PM
>

> lol, I'm laughing now, but I'm willing to bet I'll never take this
> line
> seriously again.
>

> BTW, happy new years everyone.
> *come on, sensitive manatee, you've got to be joking. and: "Or maybe
> he even
> had one down there as a pet, which account him saying 'MY sensitive
> manatee,'
> making the line all the more poignant and sorrowful." lol, I can't
> picture
> dylan taking his manatee out for a walk, or a swim.

You can't?! I can....

Bill (you can swim with a manatee if you want, Bob...) Routhier