Opinions on this post by 'Anne Thrax', please. (NDC)

Scooby Don't

Oct 12, 2001, 4:08:42 PM10/12/01
This following post, from 'Anne Thrax', was directed towards me because of
my posting of information regarding bootleg cds. I believe I have a right to
an opinion, and a choice of which format I collect music on, for me, that is
cd. I have, on occasion, posted my own thoughts on why some collectors, such
as myself, prefer cds to cd-rs. Some may, agree, some may not. I don't mind,
it's a legitimate subject for discussion in this newsgroup, I believe.
I'd just like to know, is this kind of thing acceptable here? I know it's an
unmoderated group and all, but I'd just like to know if others feel as
amazed at the audacity of this person. Should I continue to post information
about boot cds if I have any? Should I continue to post my thoughts and
opinions on bootlegging? It seem like some people, especially 'Anne Thrax'
and 'Bill' object to this kind of thing, because my opinion differs from
their's. Is this the view of the group in general? I used to enjoy this
group but now there's people like this accusing me of all sorts of things
because I've shared my opinion. ( I've posted my own response following
'Anne Thrax' message.) Something tells me I've attracted a couple of sad
idiot fruitcakes, though, and that I should just be ignoring them. Any
worthwhile opinions would be greatly appreciated.

And I apologize to anyone who finds this uninteresting for taking up space
on this group.

"Anne Thrax" <anne_...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> They're being sold at outlandishly inflated prices by the human
> roadkill who keeps posting crap (under several different names) about
> the superiority of CDS to CDRS. Of course, if you ever find his sales
> list (and I'm not gonna tell ya how to) and send him money, you'll
> find out that that (little) Willie Weazel is actually selling CDR
> copies that he makes. And then try to get your money back. A bad
> trader will cost you 50 cents or a buck worth of blanks, a thief like
> the guy you're asking will cost you 50-100 bux.
>
> Anne Thrax
> Champion of Consumer Protection for the New Millennium

Response from me -

You can't tell people where to find my sales list because I don't have one.
If anyone out there has sent me money, sorry but I haven't recieved it. I
have nothing for sale anyway. It might have something to do with this: I am
not, and have never been a cd dealer, legitimate or otherwise, selling cds
or cd-rs, at any point in my entire life. I don't know where on earth you've
heard that I'm a bootleg cd dealer. I suspect that it's a figment of your
own warped mind. I work in admin. for Marks & Spencer, the British food and
clothing retailer, for God's sake. Not at all the glamourous underworld of
bootlegging, is in? I spend my days sitting in an office processing invoices
for soft drinks and bars of chocolate. Because I occasionally post
information about Dylan cds, which I assume is of interest to dylan fans (
right?) and have an opinion that differs from yours, you call me a theif
and tell lies about my occupation, insinuating that I'm involved in illegal
activity? Here's some advice for you -grow up before your unfounded lies
land you in serious trouble. Get your facts right before posting bullshit
lies like this. The only little weasel is you.

Judas Priest

Oct 12, 2001, 4:53:10 PM10/12/01

no need to apoligise, most people in here are collectors
and we understand what you are about..

toydri

Oct 12, 2001, 5:56:32 PM10/12/01
I'm sorry if I by my question was the reason for this outburst from Anne
Thrax. I simply wanted to know where to buy the CD's as I'm interrested
myself in having a collection of CD's. I find that quite ligitimate.
CD's in my mind are superior to CDR's, not in quality, but as collectors
items. Anne thrax can have another opinion of that but what do I care. And
you shouldn't care either.
By the way - choosing the name "Anne Thrax" is a sick idea and might say
something about the person....

"Scooby Don't" <get...@hypocrites.com> wrote in message

KHematite

Oct 12, 2001, 6:39:40 PM10/12/01
>Subject: Re: Opinions on this post by 'Anne Thrax', please. (NDC)

>By the way - choosing the name "Anne Thrax" is a sick idea and might say
>something about the person....

For the record, Anne has been around for quite awhile now--long before anthrax
stopped being a laughing matter, though also long after a death metal rock band
saw nothing offensive about choosing that same name.

However, you will be relieved to know that, in the interest of national
harmony, Anne is now considering changing her name to Cipro.

Dennis Yardley

Oct 12, 2001, 7:01:53 PM10/12/01
anyway.....it should be noted that the vast vast majority of people trading
here do so for the love of Bob'd music...not for any financial gain.....for
the most part these are trades...not sales!!!!!

"KHematite" <khem...@aol.com> wrote in message

Scooby Don't

Oct 13, 2001, 3:51:15 AM10/13/01
Thanks to everyone for the words of support. It's reaffirmed my faith in
this newsgroup and confirmed to me that lying, hateful people like Anne
Thrax are a minority voice of idiocy among a group of intelligent people who
are willing to share opinions in a productive manner. I am a serious fan and
a serious collector of Bob Dylan music, and will continue to be regardless
of people like Anne thrax, who, as I've said before, only humiliate and
discredit themselves with their posts. I'm quite ashamed that people like
this Anne Thrax have the nerve to consider themselves fans of Bob Dylan and
to even participate in this newsgroup when their sole aim is to insult, lie,
and intimidate others, simply because they disagree with their opinions.
I sincerely hope that Toydri has some luck finding cds, I was in the same
position once, wondering where to find those elusive cds. If you persevere
and look around, I'm certain you'll find a reliable and reasonably-priced
source.They're really not that difficult to find if you look in the most
likely places. Record fairs were where I got started and are still
invaluable. Some local independent /second hand record stores are worth
looking at too. Don't give up and best of luck!

"Judas Priest" <non...@noname.com> wrote in message

Orfunchile

Oct 13, 2001, 11:31:32 AM10/13/01
I hope Anne will not be tried and convicted by an electronic lynch mob. I
thought she had the funniest 'name' in rmd until recent events. Since she
seems to champion many causes, she'll hopefully find a way to turn this
name-flap into something affirmitive.

--sony man

Peter L

Oct 13, 2001, 5:10:20 PM10/13/01
On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 21:08:42 +0100, "Scooby Don't"
<get...@hypocrites.com> wrote:

>Any
>worthwhile opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I read what Anne wrote but wasn't 100% sure it referred to you. There
are several people who, at fairly regular intervals, post a list of
boots for sale. Usually they claim that they are original CDs not
CDRs. I thought Anne's outburst was more likely aimed at one of those
people. While you have been quite outspoken in your views I can't
recall you ever offering anything for sale.

For the record, I think you have every right to prefer CDs to CDRs,
just as others have every right to prefer a 'trade only' CDR approach
to everything. It's unreasonable, however, for either side to think
there's is the only way.

PS Congrats on the improved performance of M&S ;-)

Scooby Don't

Oct 14, 2001, 4:40:29 AM10/14/01
"Peter L" <ne...@abc.co.uk> wrote in message

> For the record, I think you have every right to prefer CDs to CDRs,
> just as others have every right to prefer a 'trade only' CDR approach
> to everything. It's unreasonable, however, for either side to think
> there's is the only way.

Totally agree with your comments, thanks Peter. I've never suggested that
one side is 'right' or 'wrong', I've simply noted that bootleg CD collectors
doubtlessly consider cds to be superior to cd-rs from a collectable
viewpoint, since there seems to be a resounding, misguided opinion here that
commercial boot cds are manufactured with the sole intent to 'rip off the
fans' who can get music 'for free on cd-r' and that people who buy cds do so
because they don't know any better, or because they are not aware that
'free' cd-r trading exists on newsgroups such as RMD. This couldn't be
further from the truth. I am often quite outspoken on this subject, but I
do feel that there should be people willing to stand up against this cd-r
trade-only, anti-commercial cd propaganda which seems to eminate from some
bullying people in this newsgroup. For that, I do expect a bit of stick, (
which seems to come mainly from one person - 'Bill' ) it's o.k. I think I've
proved that I can handle it. There are several comments in Anne Thrax post
which make me 100% sure that the reference is to me, I'm aware of some of
the 'boots for sale' posts that crop up here from time to time, but I'm
certain this person isn't confusing me with them - the 'guy who posts about
cd supiriority' stuff, and the comment about using 'several different names'
was brought up about a week ago here by 'Bill' who suggested that I used
multiple identities in an attempt to deceive. (While I have used different
silly names on this newsgroup in the past, it's mainly been due to me
altering or fiddling about with my computer and entering the first thing I
could think of when I've set up a newsgroup account.) What I don't expect is
to be called a liar, a theif and have fictitious stories made up about me
regarding my supposed involvement in illegal activity. This is the behaviour
of warped, pathetic people who lack the ability to participate in a
discussion in a productive manner.

> PS Congrats on the improved performance of M&S ;-)

Hey, thanks!

Scooby Don't

Oct 16, 2001, 7:23:27 AM10/16/01
Talking of multiple identities, I did
some detective work of my own and looked at 'Anne Thrax' posts via the
Google Groups search. Firstly, all of your posts are antagonistic,
argument-seeking, hateful attacks on other RMD'ers, secondly, and I'm not
accusing you of anything, but I found this strange post intresting... - do a
Google Search for the thread 'Message to Master8UK' where a post from
'Bill', who runs the Field Recordings Guide, is signed as Anne Thrax. I'll
let others draw their own conclusions.

"Scooby Don't" <get...@hypocrites.com> wrote in message

Bill

Oct 16, 2001, 3:00:59 PM10/16/01
You are a dishonest lout.

As those who were reading this news group last year may recall,
there were several bizarre incidents involving forged posts. One day
last November, someone made about two dozen posts under my
"name"/address, some funny, some offensive, all fake. I wasn't the
first person it happened to, either. Among the names that were signed
to posts supposedly coming from me were "Alastair," Bill Pagel, "Bob,"
Brandon Zwagerman, Eben Hensby, Jesse Mehle, "Joe," John Howells,
Judge Magney, Ken Wilson, Kevin Reilly, Lloyd Fionville, Tricia
Jungwirth, "TuMuLtY," "wesjoenixon," and, yes, Anne Thrax. Check out

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_uauthors=monic...@my-deja.com&as_drrb=b&as_mind=3&as_minm=11&as_miny=2000&as_maxd=3&as_maxm=11&as_maxy=2000&num=20&as_scoring=d

So if, as you suggest so ingenuously, your detective work shows
me to be Anne Thrax, it must also show me to be all the rest of those
people. And to make that suggestion, you would have to be either a
complete idiot or a malicious troll.

"I'll let others draw their own conclusions."

Bill

Tumulty

Oct 16, 2001, 6:17:31 PM10/16/01
monicasdud wrote:

> http://groups.google.com/groups?as_uauthors=monic...@my-deja.com&as_drrb=b&as_mind=3&as_minm=11&as_miny=2000&as_maxd=3&as_maxm=11&as_maxy=2000&num=20&as_scoring=d

I went right to that address and what a nostalgic romp it was.
I'd forgotten all about Lordy Funville being my Mommy
last November. Hows abouts this November too?
T.

Tony Iremonger

Oct 17, 2001, 3:30:55 AM10/17/01
to toydri

toydri wrote:

> By the way - choosing the name "Anne Thrax" is a sick idea and might say
> something about the person....

Now you're being unfair. Most peoples names get chosen by their parents. Mr
and Mrs Thrax could never have forseen the current situation.

When my son, Nicholas, was born I pondered the choice of a middle name beginning
with "F". His initials would then have been NFI. Dunno about where you come
from, but down here "NFI" is a typical response to a tricky question and is
understood to mean: "No fucking idea". Ask Anne why she got lumbered with the
name and I'm sure that's what she'll say. :-)

ben....@talk21.com

Oct 17, 2001, 4:57:47 AM10/17/01

People shouldnt get sucked in so far that it hurts.

Handle choice does say something about us.

Ben

--------------------

Scooby Certainly Does Not Under Any Circumstances

Oct 20, 2001, 4:20:12 PM10/20/01
This coming from someone who posts 'It's nothing new, I had it on cd-r'
everytime someone post information on a commercial cd release. This from the
person who brings up a cd-r supposed supirior stability when compared to a
cd in a totally unreleated post about bobdylan.com. This from a person who
in a recent thread about about Dylan Compilations posts about cds being
cloned from cd-rs, totally unreleated to a thread.
This from a person who calls me a lout, an idiot, a troll etc.at every
oppotunity. if Anne Thrax's post have used your name and others in the past,
then he/she/it should think twice about posting lies about other's
identities. Anne Thrax is easily mistakable for Bill, regardless of the
'false' post or whatever Bill says it is, because they share a similar
'tone' in their hostility and the fact that Anne Thrax seems to turn up
whenever Bill posts
to crudely
defend his position. If I were you Bill, I'd distance myself from this
person, you're willing to call me names, accuse me of dishonesty at any
possible oppotunity,...let's see what kind of man you are, are you willing
to condemn Anne Thrax actions? Do you need the support of such an obviously
contemptable person as Anne Thrax? If you're trying to prove that I'm a
'dishonest lout' as you put it, and you're not, then giving no opinion on
Anne Thrax lies,while in the next breath insulting me,is not a good way to
go about it. Sorry Bill, you're a hypocrite.The only argument seeking
'trolling' person here is you. I'm certain you have NOTHING constructive to
say, since whenever you see a post by Scooby Don't you're trying to draw me
into an argument so you can throw insults at me, 'baiting the line' as it
were. If anyone doubts this, take a look at Bill's post in the Dylan
Compilations thread. My post is perfectly legitimate, I believe, while
Bill's is total troll.You must've been very disappointed that I didn't bite
that one, Bill.I suggest you and your 'friend' Anne Thrax take a look at
this - http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crackpot.html since I have come to the
conclusion that this is what I'm dealing with with you two people,I'll be a
lot happier now your posts have made it to my killfile. You're looking for
'fuel' to give you some kind of kick and the only way I can get rid of you
is not to entertain your nonsense.
I once again apologise to other RMD'ers for continuing with this post. It
isn't interesting to me, unlike Bill and Anne Thrax, I have no interest in
insulting, lying etc...and will now get back to posting actual information
about Bob Dylan. I doubt whether the thrax person or the 'Bill' person can
say the same.
Adios you pair of rude, bullying fools, you're talking to yourselves from
now on.

'Bill" <monic...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

And to make that suggestion, you would have to be either a
> complete idiot or a malicious troll.

James Zadok

Oct 20, 2001, 4:40:03 PM10/20/01
<getf...@somewhereelse.net> wrote in message

>I'll be a
> lot happier now your posts have made it to my killfile.

> Adios you pair of rude, bullying fools, you're talking to yourselves from
> now on.

There's quite a distance between people being in your kill-file and their
talking to themselves--in fact, probably a couple of thousand people, I
would think. I've never found either Anne or Bill to be anything other than
useful contributors to rmd, and I, for one, expect to continue enjoying
their posts into the forseeable future.

Bill

Oct 21, 2001, 9:18:33 AM10/21/01
I probably shouldn't, but there really is only one way to respond to
this nonsense, even though it might not quite be in the original
spirit of the line.

"If you see St. Annie, please tell her thanks a lot."

Bill