EW needs the best Dylan sites!

Stephen McGill

Aug 14, 2001, 10:35:38 PM8/14/01
Hi folks,
I'm working on a story for Entertainment Weekly about the best, most
knowledgeable Dylan sites on the web (it'll run when L&T comes out in Sept), and
who better to ask than the best, more knowledgeable Dylan FANS on the web?

So...what are the best of the best? Obviously, there's the official site, Olof
Björner's tour directory and Dylanbase (for boots), but I know there are more.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Stephen McGill

Linn Carpenter

Aug 14, 2001, 10:43:18 PM8/14/01
1. expectingrain.com
2. bobdylan.com

There are other good ones, but those are the two best, in my opinion.

Linn

Don't Tread On Me

Aug 14, 2001, 10:40:34 PM8/14/01
I would have to nominate Bobsboots (www.bobsboots.com) as the superior
bootleg site. The grand-daddy of all Bob Dylan sites is Expecting Rain
(www.expectingrain.com). And Bob Links (www.execpc.com/~billp61/dates.html)
is invaluable for anyone following Dylan on tour.

"Stephen McGill" <nos...@newsranger.com> wrote in message

Linn Carpenter

Aug 14, 2001, 10:49:45 PM8/14/01
You're right about both sites. I should have listed Bob Links as number
3 in my previous post. The best tour info and reviews.

Linn

Senor

Aug 14, 2001, 10:52:28 PM8/14/01
For those trading "field recordings," The Bob Dylan CD & CDR Field
Recordings Guide Of William J. Clinton at
http://monicasdude.homestead.com/files/index.html is invaluable, as is Bobs
Boots at http://www.bobsboots.com/ .

wellgivemeaminuteletmegetittogether, Senor

Don't Tread On Me <freew...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

d. kelly

Aug 15, 2001, 12:03:43 AM8/15/01
If you are looking to cover anything about bootleg trading these sites are
great for beginners:
www.dylantree.com http://freelib.org/dylan/freelib.html
Many people come to this newsgroup looking for unofficial recordings. And
these are two great places to get started collecting bootlegs.
-dk

MARK ROBERT HALE

Aug 15, 2001, 12:38:43 AM8/15/01

If you want to try to play this music yourself, and for
other reasons, "My Back Pages" is unsurpassed:

http://hem.passagen.se/obrecht/backpages

Mark

Peter Stone Brown

Aug 15, 2001, 1:30:11 AM8/15/01

"Stephen McGill" <nos...@newsranger.com> wrote in message

Bringing It All Back Home
the very first Bob Dylan site on the net.

http://www.punkhart.com/dylan/

--
"Where the angels' voices whisper to the souls of previous times." --Bob
Dylan

Peter Stone Brown

Aug 15, 2001, 1:47:35 AM8/15/01

"Stephen McGill" <nos...@newsranger.com> wrote in message

Also:
A Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man, Dylan's roots and influences:

http://members.nbci.com/elstongunn/index.html

For Christianity and Bob Dylan, Bill Parr's Slow Train Coming:

http://web.utk.edu/~wparr/SlowTrain.html

For Bob Dylan and Judiasm (though it hasn't been updated in years), Tangled
Up In Jews:

http://www.radiohazak.com/Dylan.html

For Bob Dylan and Film and Television, TV Talkin':

http://www.tvtalkin.com/

and for very early Bob Dylan, Young But Daily Growing:

http://home.att.net/~youngbutdailygrowing/

Tricia J

Aug 15, 2001, 3:29:53 AM8/15/01
the essentials, because they have links to everything else:

expectingrain.com
boblinks.com
bobdylan.com

my favourite 'browse' site:

tvtalkin.com

Ray Baldwin

Aug 15, 2001, 7:08:58 AM8/15/01

There's a reasonably comprehensive listing of links (including all of the
aforementioned) here:

http://www.8op.com/dylan/links.htm

Cheers.
Ray.

Dag Braathen

Aug 15, 2001, 8:25:31 AM8/15/01
My top ten (in no particular order):
bobdylan.com http://www.bobdylan.com/
Expecting Rain http://www.expectingrain.com/
Searching For A Gem http://www.jana.mcmail.com/bob-rare.htm
TV Talkin' http://www.tvtalkin.com/

The Bob Dylan CD & CDR Field Recordings Guide
http://www.angelfire.com/wa/monicasdude/
Bob's Boots http://www.bobsboots.com/
Bringing It All Back Homepage http://www.punkhart.com/dylan/dylan.html
My Back Pages http://hem.passagen.se/obrecht/backpages/
I Happen To Be A Swede Myself !! http://www.users.wineasy.se/olof.bjorner/
Bread Crumb Sins http://www.interferenza.com/bcs/

Anne Thrax

Aug 15, 2001, 11:55:14 AM8/15/01
For God's sake, why? It covers only about 350-375 boots, well under
half the titles reported at other sites, with a ridiculous number of
errors -- good ol' Craig looks like he just takes the info off the
back of the boot without ever checking it out or updating it. He
lifted his master list from Monica's Dude, about half his reviews from
Deep Beneath The Waves, and most of his scans are too damn
low-resolution to print. Yeah, guyz, he's got slicker graphics, and a
pretty long LP list -- but the LPs are paleontology.
The best site on boots (just boots) is Galileo's Boots, at
www.renaldo.clara.net -- it may not be the biggest, but you can be
damn sure its right. The best site on recordings in general is
MonicazDude.
And the best Dylan usenet archive is Maureen's HWY61-L, which so
many of you guyz ignore coz Maureen's not part of your boyz club.

Anne Thrax
Official Cranky Bitch of the New Millennium

Dave & Tina

Aug 15, 2001, 7:59:45 PM8/15/01
Well I might as well promote my site:
http://www.angelfire.com/de/dylanite
for it's Dylan pictures although I haven't been able
to update for a while. Lycos bought Angelfire and now nobody
can log-in to make changes without changing your URL.
Hopefully it will be fixed soon and I can upload some more
audio/video & pics.
All the Best,
Dave

Bob Gill

Aug 15, 2001, 10:34:24 PM8/15/01
Don't Tread On Me wrote:

> I would have to nominate Bobsboots (www.bobsboots.com) as the superior
> bootleg site. The grand-daddy of all Bob Dylan sites is Expecting Rain
> (www.expectingrain.com). And Bob Links (www.execpc.com/~billp61/dates.html)
> is invaluable for anyone following Dylan on tour.

For me, there's Expecting Rain and the Bringing It All Back Home Page, plus
the Monica's Dude site. All simply excellent. I also look at Olof's files and
Bill Pagel's tour site, but I usually get to them from Expecting Rain and
Bringing It... so that means I only have to keep two bookmarks.

-- Bob G.

Gil Walker

Aug 16, 2001, 10:01:07 PM8/16/01
I don't think there can be any question: the big three are:

Expecting Rain, the nerve center the Dylan universe on the Web. Links
to all the important sites, as well as two essential archives, the
collected tour reviews and Deep Beneath The Waves. Karl Erik
Andersen, webmaster
http://www.expecting rain.com

BobLinks, for the extensive information of tours past, present, and
future, and for the index of Dylan sites as exhaustive as a sane
person can compile. Bill Pagel, webmaster (and, I hope, soon to be
the owner of Dylan's childhood home in Minneapolis)
http://ww.execpc.com/~billp61/boblinks.html

BobDylan.com, the official site, with the wonderful sampling of live
Dylan performances from the last few years (and some older ones), its
lyrics archive, and other vital information
http://www.bobdylan.com

After that, there are four essential archives of information:

HWY61-L, the long-running, absolutely essential Dylan mailing list run
by the virtually tireless Maureen LeBlanc. Because it's a mailing
list, not a website, there's no central URL, but these are the key
entry points:
http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=hwy61-l - search engine
http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/archives/hwy61-l.html - archives/logs
http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=hwy61-l - sub/unsub

Olof Bjorner's set of chronologies, recording session accounts, and
concert information, the standard online reference virtually from the
beginning.
http://www.users.wineasy.se/olof.bjorner/

[And I also think that there's one important adjunct to the Bjorner
site, which provides a cumulative report on Dylan's touring since
1988, including a complete list of songs performed, ranked by
frequency: http://neverendingtour.tripod.com. I have no shame about
plugging my own sites when I think it's fair to mention them.]

Alan Fraser's detailed catalogs of officially released but uncollected
Dylan recordings, including his work as a sideman; of songs Dylan
wrote but never released on his own albums or singles; and of other
important if occasionally arcane aspects of the Dylan canon.
www.jana.mcmail.com/bob-rare.htm is a good starting point

The Bob Dylan CD Field Recordings Guide describes more than 2000
"unofficial" circulating recordings, far more than any of its
competitors, indexed alphabetically and by date, and provides links to
printable cover art for many bootlegs and fan discs. Other sites have
slicker graphics and more sophisticated user interfaces, but nobody
else has more (or more accurate) information.
http://www.angelfire.com/monicasdude

And two classic sites, both archiving large amounts of important
material, though not so active on a day-to-day basis as the first two
groups:

Bringing It All Back Home; John Howells, webmaster
http://www.punkhart.com/dylan

Bread Crumb Sins; Giulio Molfese, webmaster
http://www.interferenza.com/bcs

And I do hope (if not beg) that you don't include the dylantree/tape
library sites that at least one response to your post has mentioned.
If those sites are widely publicized, they're likely to be shut down
or worse.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Gil Walker