"Carrying My Cross" identified (at last?)

monic...@yahoo.com

Jan 23, 2006, 12:33:05 AM1/23/06
"Carrying My Cross," heard only on the recording of the November 22,
1987 rehearsal session that's often said to be G.E. Smith's audition
(bootlegged as "Dancing In The Dark,") turns out to be a cover of
Anguillan singer-songwriter Bankie Banx's "Prince Of Darkness." Banx
released the song on his 1978 LP "Roots And Herbs." These are the
official lyrics:

The Prince of Darkness walks behind me
But he will never, never, never control me
Today I live a life of sorrow
Working for the joys of a bright tomorrow
Chorus:
Carrying my cross
Carrying my cross
Carrying my cross

Wisdom, show me the right
Guide me safely through the night
Wisdom, show me the light
Take my hand and lead me through the fight.

The iron hand they use to bend and shape me
Will always find new ways and means to crush me
But all in peril is not lost
For every man must carry his cross
I'm... Chorus:

Now that I know the structure of your system
My path is cleared towards the goals I'm destined
But all in peril is not lost
For every man must carry his cross
I'm... Chorus:

Wisdom, show me the right
Guide me safely through the night
Wisdom, show me the light
Take my hand and lead me through the fight.

Your private use of public funds won't scare me
Your frauds and schemes and plans can n'ere distress me
For when your evil work is done
Just like the morning sun I'll come
Carrying my cross
Carrying my cross
Carrying my cross
Wisdom, show me the right
Guide me safely through the night
Wisdom, show me the light
Take my hand and lead me through the fight.

Show me, show me the light
Precious Father, lead me through the fight
Show me, show me the right
Take my hand and guide me through the night
Lead me on, lead me on, lead me on...

Oddly enough, once I'd tracked the song down, I found that Dylan's
covering the song had once been reported (without explanation) on a
website run by the "Experience St. Maarten" tourism group.

I haven't seen any other references to this online, so I'd guess this
ID hasn't been made in Dylan circles before.

For information on "Dancing In The Dark," see

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/monicasdude/062.htm

Bill

Dan.M...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2006, 12:43:52 AM1/23/06
Thanks for the addition to the scholarship, Bill.

Lowg...@ao1.com

Jan 23, 2006, 1:18:05 PM1/23/06
monic...@yahoo.com wrote:

>"Carrying My Cross," heard only on the recording of the November 22,
>1987 rehearsal session that's often said to be G.E. Smith's audition
>(bootlegged as "Dancing In The Dark,") turns out to be a cover of
>Anguillan singer-songwriter Bankie Banx's "Prince Of Darkness." Banx
>released the song on his 1978 LP "Roots And Herbs." These are the
>official lyrics:

Good find!

Also released by Banx, I believe, in 1977 on UK LP "Battle On".
Banx has released a remake of this song. Hear it at-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00068NWA6/202-4175127-2859803