Sweetbac

ungelesen,
17.03.2010, 23:42:4417.03.10
an

"band beyond description" <everybody's.d...@that.rag.com> wrote in message
news:80dir9...@mid.individual.net...
> also, repost:
>
> Anyone up for a preshow meetup next week Tuesday March 23? As there's not
> many *quality* watering holes on Odaiba, I propose Belgian beers at Belg
> Aube at the Lalaport shopping mall in Toyosu, adjacent to the Toyosu train
> station of the "Yurikamome" train line that goes to Aomi station, which is
> adjacent to the show venue at Zepp Tokyo in Odaiba. Belg Aube will be
> open that day straight through from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., and if one left
> there by 5 or 5:15 p.m. (or even earlier if you wanted to line up at the
> venue for general admission entry), there'd be plenty of time to walk the
> 10 minutes to Toyosu station for the quick trip over to Odaiba. Zepp
> Tokyo doors open at 6 p.m. for the 7 p.m. show.

> Peace,
> Steve

Jeez....Japan seems SOO much more complicated since
the days of "Pink Lady n' Jeff"
Ya need a G'Damn train schedule to have a simple pre show beer.
Here's footage of the "RMGD Conference: Japan" meetup Steve put
together before the 1997 Ratdog Osaka gig.
I would imagine there were some spilled Sapporos!
Check it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STNWc7Rlpfk&feature=related

Die Nachricht wurde gelöscht

OB Bob

ungelesen,
18.03.2010, 05:42:4318.03.10
an
Sounds fun, Count me and Katie Mae in.

On Mar 17, 7:52 pm, band beyond description

<everybody's.d...@that.rag.com> wrote:
> also, repost:
>
> Anyone up for a preshow meetup next week Tuesday March 23?  As there's
> not many *quality* watering holes on Odaiba, I propose Belgian beers at
> Belg Aube at the Lalaport shopping mall in Toyosu, adjacent to the
> Toyosu train station of the "Yurikamome" train line that goes to Aomi
> station, which is adjacent to the show venue at Zepp Tokyo in Odaiba.
> Belg Aube will be open that day straight through from 11 a.m. to 11
> p.m., and if one left there by 5 or 5:15 p.m. (or even earlier if you
> wanted to line up at the venue for general admission entry), there'd be
> plenty of time to walk the 10 minutes to Toyosu station for the quick
> trip over to Odaiba.  Zepp Tokyo doors open at 6 p.m. for the 7 p.m.
> show.
>

> http://www.belgaube.jp/page/toyosu-access(japanese)
>
> http://www.yurikamome.co.jp/en/contents/hp0005/index.php?No=5&CNo=5
> (yurikamome english page, with info at bottom about Toyosu Lalaport)
>
> http://wcities.com/tokyo/entertainment-venues/poi-zepp-tokyo-98285.html
> (english)
>
> http://www.zepp.co.jp/schedule/hall_03/map.html(japanese)
>
> On Dec 31 2009, 10:45 pm, band beyond description
>
> <everybody's.d...@that.rag.com> wrote:
> > first tour since 2000, plus Charlie Sexton's back.  a week of shows at
> > the 2,000-capacity Zepp Tokyo, preceded by Osaka and Nagoya.  rmgd
> > meet-up outside Zepp Tokyo on March 23, anyone?
>
> >http://udo.jp/Artist/BobDylan/index.html
> > --
> > Peace,
> > Steve
>
> Zimmy in Japan!  I'm so stoked.  Anyone else have their tix yet?  San
> Diego will represent at the shows on the 22nd and 23rd. Just a lurker
> here but would enjoy joining some deadhead zimmy fans for a meet-up.
> Keep me posted.
>
> On 2010-03-18 11:30:23 +0900, band beyond description
> <everybody's.d...@that.rag.com> said:
>

> > the Bobster's here, now, by the way.
>
> > pretty good take from a Japanese academic...
>
> >http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/adv/wol/dy/opinion/culture_100308.htm
>
> > Opinion
> > Culture and Education
>
> > Masaki Horiuchi
>
> > Dylan shall be released from the 60's.
—On the occasion of Bob Dylan
> > visiting Japan
>
> > Masaki Horiuchi
Professor, Faculty of Letters, Arts and Sciences,
> [...]
> > self; that is, he became another person within himself, a "beautiful
> > stranger". The Snufkin (a nomadic character in a popular series of
> > Finnish books and comics by Tove Jansson) of the rock world, Dylan
> > eschews social norms and expectations, regarded as weird as he hides
> > and conceals himself, flouting convention as the consummate free spirit
> > refusing to be pinned down by anyone. This is why the title of the
> > movie about Dylan made by Larry Charles in 2003 was: Masked and
> > Anonymous. In his 2007 movie I’m Not There, director Todd Haynes does
> > not search for a real Dylan, but rather regards the multiple latent
> > Dylans that coexist as composing Dylan—a view that has finally come to
> > be the new standard throughout the world. Even Dylan’s immersion into
> > Christianity at the end of the seventies can be regarded as an act
> > vehemently rejecting the views of those in the periphery who would
> > categorize him. This is why even in an album of cover songs—Christmas
> > in the Heart, released at the end of last year—for example, the truly
> > weird and mysterious singing that Dylan brings to these pop
> > arrangements is so quirky that it would fit perfectly in a David Lynch
> > movie—quintessential Dylan.
>
> > And this inscrutability is at the same time Bob Dylan’s true feeling—he
> > is singing from the heart to celebrate the birth of Christ. This is
> > where the duality lies: between the outwardly visible Dylan and the
> > inner Dylan. In his recent autobiography, Chronicles, Dylan expresses
> > his wish that others regard him with respect as a personality with
> > individual dignity. You can get a glimpse of how Dylan would like to be
> > regarded by listening to his 1994 release, Greatest Hits, Volume 3,
> > which consists of songs that he selected. Dylan himself admires Jimmy
> > Rogers and Hank Williams and would like to be admired in the same way.
> > The burden of luggage, confusion, and sadness come with being on the
> > road, and are a matter of course. Dylan painstakingly conveys the
> > tribulations of travel above all in his 1974 masterpiece Blood on the
> > Tracks. Driven by these feelings of confusion and restlessness to find
> > an unshakable perspective that transcends history, such as
> > Christianity, Oh Mercy (1989) is an album that crystallizes the Dylan
> > persona over the previous decade.
>
> > As evidenced in recent years through his album Love and Theft (2001),
> > Dylan is adopting the persona as heir and storyteller of American
> > popular music. What I would like to say before he comes to perform in
> > Japan is: Let’s release Dylan from the sixties. Lastly, I would like to
> > recommend my top five picks for the best Dylan albums since the
> > seventies: Blood on the Tracks; Live 1975: The Rolling Thunder
> > Revue—The Bootleg Series, Vol. 5; Oh Mercy; MTV Unplugged; and Time Out
> > of Mind.
>
> > Masaki Horiuchi
Professor, Faculty of Letters, Arts and Sciences,

Professor Horiuchi graduated with an undergraduate degree
> > from the School of Humanities and Social Sciences and a graduate degree
> > from the Graduate School of Letters, Arts and Sciences at Waseda
> > University. His specialization is American Literature, and his main
> > research themes include authors such as Herman Melville and Ralph Waldo
> > Emerson.
>
> --
> Peace,
> Steve- Hide quoted text -

Die Nachricht wurde gelöscht

Auxarmeslescitoyens

ungelesen,
18.03.2010, 19:19:0918.03.10
an
On Mar 17, 10:52 pm, band beyond description

Suggest you go to my buddy's place: http://www.ivanramen.com

An American Deadhead from Long Island who's been a success in the
ramen business. Lots of good stories about him online.

Wish I were over there to see a Dylan show or two.

dumbo

ungelesen,
18.03.2010, 20:49:3918.03.10
an
On Mar 18, 2:30 am, band beyond description
<everybody's.d...@that.rag.com> wrote:

> This is why even in an album of cover songs—Christmas
> in the Heart, released at the end of last year—for example, the truly
> weird and mysterious singing that Dylan brings to these pop
> arrangements is so quirky that it would fit perfectly in a David Lynch

Not sure if I agree with this, but lynch certainly springs to mind
with some of Bob's output. They share a kind of childlike naivety
that you're not wholly convinced by, but simultaneously want to
believe. A little like Warhol's interviews, when he just answers 'uh,
yeah' to every question, or asks the interviewer more questions than
they ask: "what are you wearing? What's Janice wearing? Oh, she's
not wearing anything...?". D'ya know what I mean?

Die Nachricht wurde gelöscht

Auxarmeslescitoyens

ungelesen,
18.03.2010, 22:00:0418.03.10
an
On Mar 18, 9:37 pm, band beyond description
<everybody's.d...@that.rag.com> wrote:

> On 2010-03-19 08:19:09 +0900, Auxarmeslescitoyens <steven1...@gmail.com> said:
>
> > Suggest you go to my buddy's place:http://www.ivanramen.com
>
> > An American Deadhead from Long Island who's been a success in the
> > ramen business. Lots of good stories about him online.
>
> > Wish I were over there to see a Dylan show or two.
>
> Interesting you know Ivan; I don't personally but have been meaning to
> get over there...it's on the other side of town, however, and is a
> small neighborhood shop.  You're right, however, that's he's gotten
> lots of press, and I'll add it's a small world here among the expats in
> Japan (as well as generally, that you'd know him).
> --
> Peace,
> Steve

My wife grew uo with him on Long Island. I've known him for more than
2 decades now. Don't see him much since we're in NJ and he's in Tokyo.
He did send us a couple of his packaged ramen, which were quite good.
But I imagine a long way from the quality of the food in his eatery.

Go check out his place. Should be worth the trip, and I know hell have
good music playing. In fact, I strongly suggested that he go see Dylan
on this tour. I've caught just about every Dylan tour in NYC area
since 1988, and while the guy's getting old, he can still bring it.

Die Nachricht wurde gelöscht

theothr1

ungelesen,
20.03.2010, 10:47:2020.03.10
an
"Sweetbac" wrote:
"band beyond description" wrote

> > Anyone up for a preshow meetup next week Tuesday March 23?  As there's not
> > many *quality* watering holes on Odaiba, I propose Belgian beers at Belg
> > Aube at the Lalaport shopping mall in Toyosu, adjacent to the Toyosu train
> > station of the "Yurikamome" train line that goes to Aomi station, which is
> > adjacent to the show venue at Zepp Tokyo in Odaiba.  Belg Aube will be
> > open that day straight through from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., and if one left
> > there by 5 or 5:15 p.m. (or even earlier if you wanted to line up at the
> > venue for general admission entry), there'd be plenty of time to walk the
> > 10 minutes to Toyosu station for the quick trip over to Odaiba.  Zepp
> > Tokyo doors open at 6 p.m. for the 7 p.m. show.
> > Peace,
> > Steve
>
> Jeez....Japan seems SOO much more complicated since
> the days of "Pink Lady n' Jeff"
> Ya need a G'Damn train schedule to have a simple pre show beer.
> Here's footage of the "RMGD Conference: Japan" meetup Steve put
> together before the 1997 Ratdog Osaka gig.
> I would imagine there were some spilled Sapporos!
> Check ithttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STNWc7Rlpfk&feature=related

Wow... bet when the doors opened, ya'll flew out like some
nasty diarrhea!
Rox

Auxarmeslescitoyens

ungelesen,
20.03.2010, 20:54:5020.03.10
an
On Mar 20, 1:39 am, band beyond description
<everybody's.d...@that.rag.com> wrote:
> here's an Osaka torrent, done by Hide (pron. Hee-day), downloaded in
> blinding speed in all of 5 minutes!  good sound because the room's not
> huge:
>
> http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=295129
>
> Bob Dylan
>
> Zepp Osaka
> Osaka, Japan
> March 16, 2010
>
> Taper: Hide
> Source: DPA 4061's > MMA6000 > Edirol R-09HR (24bit/96kHz)
> Lineage: SD card > PC > WAV (24bit/96kHz) > Soundforge (Edit, sampling
> convert to 16bit/44.1kHz)> TLH > FLAC
>
> 01. intro
> 02. Cats In The Well
> 03. This Wheel's On Fire
> 04. Summer Days
> 05. I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
> 06. Forgetful Heart
> 07. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
> 08. John Brown
> 09. Under The Red Sky
> 10. Honest With Me
> 11. Masters Of War
> 12. Highway 61 Revisited
> 13. Po' Boy
> 14. Thunder On The Mountain
> 15. Ballad Of A Thin Man
> (encore)
> 16. Like A Rolling Stone
> 17. Jolene
> 18. band intro
> 19. All Along The Watchtower
>
> Band Members
> Bob Dylan - keyboard, harp
> Tony Garnier - bass
> George Recile - drums
> Stu Kimball - rhythm guitar
> Charlie Sexton - lead guitar
> Donnie Herron - banjo, violin, viola, pedal steel, lap steel
> --
> Peace,
> Steve

I wish he'd mix up the encore section. Same stuff almost every single
night for chinks of 2009-10.

0 neue Nachrichten