Judy Collins

frinjdwelr

Nov 14, 2006, 8:54:25 PM11/14/06
I had xm on in the background today and there was some special with Judy
Collins.
The Leonard Cohn part was especially enjoyable.
But she also had some Bob stories.
A couple I caught - Around '63 to '64 she used to go to his shows with her
manager to mine for his songs cause he was such an amazing songwriter.
They'd say "that one" and "that one." Then after the show she'd get
together with Bob and get him to teach them to her, as in "Bob I NEED this
song right now. They played a cut of Hattie Carrol from her live show in
March of '64 that obviously was really moving the audience.
She also told how when she was on the board of directors for the Newport
Folk festival around that time, she had to argue and insist working off her
status at the time ("they really couldn't say no to me") that they create a
songwriter's workshop at the festival. That like with Dylan playing electric
the next year, there was strong resistance to the idea that "folk" music
could be newly written.

gabriel

Nov 14, 2006, 9:09:50 PM11/14/06

Well, synchronistically, we watched 'Festival' again the other night
and noticed Judy Collins' name on the thanks to the Board of Directors
at the end. The short clip of her "Anathea" that they show in the film
is quite rivetting. She did seem an odd fit with the "woolly jumpers"
of the folk mafia. Her performance is like that of an "art singer" at a
recital.

Peter Stone Brown

Nov 15, 2006, 12:32:54 AM11/15/06

"frinjdwelr" <frinj...@charter.net> wrote in message

Judy Collins did one of the best versions of "Daddy You Been On My Mind,"
with great guitar by Danny Kalb on her #5 album which had quite a few Dylan
tunes including her version of Tambourine Man. The album came out in the
summer of '65. There used to a nightly folk show in the NY metropolitan
area on WJRZ, hosted by a guy named Jerry White who was one of the dj's to
introduce Bob at Forest Hills. Sometimes performers would stop by the show
to talk and play records. One night early in '65 Collins dropped by and
they were talking about what a great song "Mr. Tambourine Man" was. The
only version out at the time was one by the Brothers Four who were the first
to record it, so White played it followed by comments by both afterwards
about what a drag that version was.

Zuke

Nov 15, 2006, 9:21:57 AM11/15/06
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Peter Stone Brown wrote:

> "frinjdwelr" <frinj...@charter.net> wrote in message
>> I had xm on in the background today and there was some special with Judy
>> Collins.
>> The Leonard Cohn part was especially enjoyable.
>> But she also had some Bob stories.
>> A couple I caught - Around '63 to '64 she used to go to his shows with her

>> create a songwriter's workshop at the festival. That like with Dylan
>> playing electric the next year, there was strong resistance to the idea
>> that "folk" music could be newly written.
>
> Judy Collins did one of the best versions of "Daddy You Been On My Mind,"
> with great guitar by Danny Kalb on her #5 album which had quite a few Dylan
> tunes including her version of Tambourine Man. The album came out in the
> summer of '65. There used to a nightly folk show in the NY metropolitan

As PSB has mentioned in the past, Judy Collins #5 is a great album.
That record just seems to go on and on with great songs and
performances.

gannet

Nov 15, 2006, 10:33:13 AM11/15/06
Can I also recommend her 1970 album Whales and Nightingales, which was
quite innovative at the time. I think it was the first time "whale
song" had been brought to the public's attention, and was used in quite
an impressive way. It also brought Amazing Grace back into general
circulation, for better or worse (I like it!). Finally she did an
unusually melodic version of Time Passes Slowly, before Bob's own
version came out on New Morning, as well as The Patriot Game, which
"shared" a melody with With God on our Side.
Having said all that, every album she made after this that I've heard,
has been Streisandesque twaddle.

On Nov 15, 2:21 pm, Zuke <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Peter Stone Brown wrote:
>

> > "frinjdwelr" <frinjdw...@charter.net> wrote in message

> >> I had xm on in the background today and there was some special with Judy
> >> Collins.
> >> The Leonard Cohn part was especially enjoyable.
> >> But she also had some Bob stories.
> >> A couple I caught - Around '63 to '64 she used to go to his shows with her
> >> create a songwriter's workshop at the festival. That like with Dylan
> >> playing electric the next year, there was strong resistance to the idea
> >> that "folk" music could be newly written.
>
> > Judy Collins did one of the best versions of "Daddy You Been On My Mind,"
> > with great guitar by Danny Kalb on her #5 album which had quite a few Dylan
> > tunes including her version of Tambourine Man. The album came out in the

> > summer of '65. There used to a nightly folk show in the NY metropolitanAs PSB has mentioned in the past, Judy Collins #5 is a great album.

> That record just seems to go on and on with great songs and

> performances.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

frinjdwelr

Nov 15, 2006, 10:19:57 PM11/15/06

"Peter Stone Brown" <ps...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Judy Collins did one of the best versions of "Daddy You Been On My Mind,"
> with great guitar by Danny Kalb on her #5 album which had quite a few
> Dylan tunes including her version of Tambourine Man. The album came out
> in the summer of '65. There used to a nightly folk show in the NY
> metropolitan area on WJRZ, hosted by a guy named Jerry White who was one
> of the dj's to introduce Bob at Forest Hills. Sometimes performers would
> stop by the show to talk and play records. One night early in '65 Collins
> dropped by and they were talking about what a great song "Mr. Tambourine
> Man" was. The only version out at the time was one by the Brothers Four
> who were the first to record it, so White played it followed by comments
> by both afterwards about what a drag that version was.

The Brothers Four?? no kidding.
However, I remember Judy Collins once telling how she was the first person
to ever hear Tambourine Man.
She was staying up at Woodstock same time as Bob. I think maybe Grossman's
place? And he would work in this stone out building all night sometimes,
writing songs. She was sleeping in an upstairs bedroom in the main house
with the window open when she was awoken early one dawn by the sounds of Bob
working on this song. It was just his voice and guitar in the jingle jangle
morning.

For a really great historical narrative on how the Byrds came to record this
song, check out Ian Wallace's well researched article in Isis. Who woulda
thunk there would have been even a Miles Davis link?

Speaking of which, in the John Bauldie tradition, the gracious Ian is
another huge long time force in tracking the Dylan story. We all owe him.

gabriel

Nov 16, 2006, 12:07:35 AM11/16/06

So Peter, this story from 'The Straight Dope' is not so straight after
all?

"The composer's one inalienable right is to decide who will record his
song first. Bob Dylan pulled this one in the notorious case of "Mr.
Tambourine Man": the song was originally set to be issued in a version
that Dylan had recorded live at a folk festival, but Dylan wasn't happy
with the results. Unfortunately, his contract with Columbia didn't give
him the right to decide on what material the company released, so Bob
didn't seem to have much of a choice. But then, the Poet of Our
Generation remembered his first issue rights and denied a mechanical
license to his own record company. The album was killed.

Meanwhile, the Brothers Four, a once beloved folk group that had fallen
on hard times, had recorded a highly commercial cover version of the
song--a guaranteed comeback. But when Dylan's anticipated first version
failed to appear, the group was caught between the proverbial rock and
a hard place, unable to release their dynamite single. It sat in the
vaults until Dylan issued his approved version some months later--but
in the meantime, the Byrds had recorded their cover version, and that
was the one that went to the Top of the Pops. Such are the vagaries of
fortune."

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_324b.html

joelha...@yahoo.com

Nov 18, 2006, 2:43:40 AM11/18/06

Peter Stone Brown

Nov 19, 2006, 2:31:17 AM11/19/06

"gabriel" <gabrie...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

.

> So Peter, this story from 'The Straight Dope' is not so straight after
> all?

Yep.