Re: Solo in Albany

1 view
Message has been deleted

frinjdwelr

Oct 7, 2007, 5:21:04 PM10/7/07
a warm personable little saga.
very nice. thank you for taking the time to put it all down.

"St. Annie" <botticel...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> suits under the lights. The encore was something new, something old:
> Thunder and Watchtower, both solid. In a little bit of a hurry. At
> the end they assembled for a nice bow. Stu is playing wonderfully,
> and I've never seen anyone look happier to be on a stage than
> Donnie.
> Escaped the parking deck straightaway. The buses were gone. Me too,
> I thought, as I got out fast and zoomed up and onto the Thruway, on my
> way to spend the rest of the weekend in Cooperstown. Where 87 splits
> off to Montreal, and 90 goes due west, a bus had screwed up and was
> moving across the split, signaling to come back onto 90. I slowed
> down and let it: Tennessee plates and a little trailer behind it.
> Well, well, I thought. On the road to Syracuse. And then I looked in
> my rearview and saw its twin, following a safe and responsible
> distance behind. I stayed in the Bob-and-Elvis sandwich almost all
> the way to Utica. 90 thinned out to nothing after about 20 miles, and
> the rest of the way it was just the three of us, in the rain. Once I
> slowed - it was pouring - and the bus behind me passed me, nice and
> carefully. It made me glad to see it moving that way: precious cargo
> inside. As it rolled by me the windows were semi-shuttered in the
> front, and closed to the back. Through the slits of the shades I
> could see a big video screen, playing. Then it went on ahead.
> California plates, beginning 4NAU. For now. I loved it.
> What was on the screen, I wondered? It was in black-and-white, which
> increases by about 75 or 80 percent the probability that it was
> something pretty good. I'd surely rather have been stretched out on a
> big old sofa, watching John Wayne and Claire Trevor, or William Powell
> and Myrna Loy, or Cary Grant and Kate Hepburn, or Gable and Harlow,
> than driving in the dark and the rain with the spray from bus wheels
> all over my windshield ....
> They slowed in a patch of construction and I slid around again, back
> in the sandwich. Stayed there until I was at the last exit for
> Cooperstown. The Baseball Hall of Fame, and a superb hotel on the
> lake, were waiting for me 14 miles away, and it was just past
> midnight. I took my exit, and watched the second bus catch up to the
> first, nothing between 'em now, heading west. Now, as I sit here in a
> gorgeous place surrounded by baseball history and fall leaves for the
> weekend, getting ready to go watch a bunch of Hall of Famers play in
> Doubleday Field on this summerlike afternoon, I admit I'm more than
> tempted to go on to Syracuse myself Monday night. Last night's show
> was just so good, from start to finish, from A to B, Amos to Bob. But
> Monday's not a holiday for me, and conventional wisdom says gainful
> employment is good to retain.
> Apologies for a giganormously long post. It really truly was an
> evening to remember, and it's got me in a better frame of mind for

Babs

Oct 7, 2007, 6:39:28 PM10/7/07
On Oct 7, 2:12 pm, "St. Annie" <botticellisni...@hotmail.com> wrote:

What an enjoyable read, St. Annie. "Thanks a lot!"

crazytimes

Oct 7, 2007, 7:12:25 PM10/7/07
On Oct 7, 2:12 pm, "St. Annie" <botticellisni...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The drive in 85-degree sunshine up the Hudson River, on the back
> roads, is one of the prettiest things about living in New York State.

Driving up the Hudson is always nice... I really like the 9 and 9-G
area... Where did you start from?... Did you pass Bannerman's
castle?...

President_dudley

Oct 7, 2007, 10:08:46 PM10/7/07
Dear Ste. Annie,

I'm in awe.

I cd go on ramblin' 'bout how i went down to visit my ma today, and in
returning the exit from the gardenState parkway was backed up miles to
the 287 to the TappanZee bridge, which normally i might bail the 287
to the Palisades north to the Bear Mountain (yes, that Bear Mountain)
bridge thru Peekskill (yes that Peekskill... see robeson, paul) & over
the 6 ta home, but it was so bad today i just headed due north on the
87 NYS Thruway which wasn't closed but jammed southIrons Bound way
past Sloatsburg & so i headed to the 84 at Newburgh & across the Ham
Fish bridge.

Longer in miles but at least i was moving.

Got only two things to say about yr Report.

Stunning. Brilliant.

that's one.

}
Wrung out my dress,

I changed out of my sopping clothes into jeans and a t-shirt in
the car.

{

a coupla images i won't soon discard from my mind.

that's two.

}
Spaghetti marinara and an iced tea for me

{

I'd go with bolognese, but iced tea works except if it's presweetened.
My ma never sweetens her iced tea. Too hard to clean the encrusted
sugar out the bottom of the glass. Only lemon.

Anyways, glad yer show was so good. I'm still downloading Bridgeport;
i thnik, despite my adversion to the gargled rocks & gravel voice
bob's presenting nowaDays Like you say:

}
Dylan's voice is only gravelly and growly when he sings low. When he
sings high, he's still got those light clear tenor notes that are I
think his truest singing voice

{

I think what i heard the week before, he moved thru his entire range
without croaking on some of the later songs. WMB2 & NM possibly, but
i'm disinclined to speak falsely now. I'm still downloading evidence,
& may check back later to report. Or not. It don't much matter in the
bigger picture.

In any event, thanks for the whirlwind tour & the excellence of
reportage.

that's three or five.

Finally, furthur::

}
But Monday's not a holiday for me, and conventional wisdom says
gainful employment is good to retain.

Apologies for a giganormously long post. It really truly was an
evening to remember, and it's got me in a better frame of mind for
today.

{

yea heavy. no need to apologise. i asked my boss, i said, Boss, do we
got monday [Columbus Day Observed as a holiday, for nonAmericans] & he
said "yeh, we got monday, but we gotta work" him probably wanting the
day more than me.

"a better frame of mind for today"... i thnik bob said if today was
not a crooked highway & also "There doesn't seem to be any tomorrow.
Every time I wake up, no matter in what position, it's always been
today."

If tomorrow wasn't such a long time.

Hey, do you know what song it is that says something like "we spend so
much time growing old"?

Yrs in all thnigs dylna,
Thoreau Weed

St. Annie

Oct 9, 2007, 9:09:34 AM10/9/07

Yes, it is -- this time I came up from the city along the Taconic and
then rambled around Columbia Co, 66 and 20 and lots of little
backroads. But I love the 9s, the closer to the riverbank the better.

St. Annie

Oct 9, 2007, 9:14:49 AM10/9/07

Heya and thanks for all you say here, President D. And oh, that
"Groundhog-Day" feeling of it's always been today. Amen to that.
Sometimes it would be GREAT if it could just for once manage to be
tomorrow.
Sloatsburg can be an almighty nightmare. This is one of the many
reasons why this last time I came up the Taconic nice and easy,
wriggled through Columbia Co, and then snuck over to Albany.
But I came back from Cooperstown on 28 all the way -- a great stopover
in ole Woodstock and then, yes, on the Thruway. It was empty except
for the 18-wheelers by the time I hit it. Pulled into a prime parking
spot at home barely 2 hours later, singing along with "Never Say
Goodbye."
Now you've got me thinking -- "We spend so much time growing old."
Gotta look it up. Even as I am hearing in my head Bob reading the
melancholy Jaques's speech on the 7 ages of man, from TTRH Young &
Old.
Yrs right back,
Annie

zim...@stny.rr.com

Oct 14, 2007, 1:10:59 AM10/14/07
Hey Annie, thanks a lot.

Really.

I saw it and thought it - you said it.

I was at the same show; driving up from Virginia; went through
probably the same thunderstorm.

As usual, I arrived at the show fashionably late and most likely
missed the downpour in Albany.

Whoa, you must have had much better seats than I had. Last time I saw
Mr. Dylan I could actually see the sweat dripping from his nose.

Priceless.

Not so this time, as it goes with last minute tickets.

As the show began, posts of how Mr. Dylan's voice sounded like he
swallowed a bucket of sand sprang to mind. At what point, to me, it
turned to a fabulously wonderful coarse velvet, I don't know.

We have just moved to the Cooperstown/Oneonta area, but... next time
you're all in town, please look me up

Good eye on Oscar.

Dawn
zim...@stny.rr.com