Dylan & Mike Nesmith

Don Wedge

Sep 2, 2002, 3:54:08 PM9/2/02
I'm currently editing a book of recollections and anecdotes about The
Monkees using both new interviews with The Monkees- except Peter Tork, who
won't; talk, that is. Recently I transcribed a Mike Nesmith radio interview
from the mid-80s and came across this:

Interviewer:...Rio's my favourite record of yours actually. It's from the
photon wing album isn't it? You mentioned that Bob Dylan had a connection
with that?

Nesmith: You like it huh..it's a funny story in that we met around that time
and vaguely discussed me producing him but that didn't work out. I had Rio
as an idea but kept getting sidetracked with it and I showed him the chorus
and he wrote most of the verses with me just straightening it out later on.

Interviewer: so a collaboration with Bob Dylan!

Nesmith: I wouldn't call it that Bob will put his pen onto something I think
but I think most people would be too scared to mention something like
that..you know like writer's block.

Don Wedge

Sep 2, 2002, 4:11:01 PM9/2/02

Hillen120

Sep 2, 2002, 4:28:40 PM9/2/02
Please send me info on this book - Kirk

Bkindmoore

Sep 2, 2002, 4:49:25 PM9/2/02
<< From: hill...@aol.com (Hillen120) >>

<< Please send me info on this book - Kirk >>

I would be interested in this info also.

Barbara

musicaner

Sep 2, 2002, 9:31:36 PM9/2/02
its too bad that tork aint talkin as he knew bob back in his
folkie days in the village, backin folks like fred neil on bass.
"Don Wedge da...@hotmail.com>" <famousfatboy<remove> wrote in message

Tricia J

Sep 3, 2002, 2:24:12 AM9/3/02
Fascinating... I really like Nesmith's work... thanks for posting, and
please keep us updated on the book - I'm sure lots of folk around here
would be interested.

Chris Lee

Sep 3, 2002, 4:43:52 AM9/3/02
For reference:

Rio

Michael Nesmith

I'm hearing the light from the window
I'm seeing the sound of the sea
My feet have come loose from their moorings
I'm feeling quite wonderfully free
And I think I will travel to Rio
Using the music for flight
There's nothing I know of in Rio
But it's something to do with the night
It's only a whimsical notion
To fly down to Rio tonight
I probably won't fly down to Rio
But then again I just might

There's wings to the thought behind fancy
There's wings to the thought behind play
And dancing to rhythms of laughter
Makes laughter the rhythm of rain
So I think I will travel to Rio
Using the music for flight
There's nothing I know of in Rio
But it's something to do with the night
It's only a whimsical notion
To fly down to Rio tonight
And I probably won't fly down to Rio
But then again I just might

SOLO
"This is the first call for Flight 77 to Rio de Janeiro
Now boarding at Gate 17, this is the first call"

I feel such a sense of well-being
The problems have come to be solved
And what I thought was proper for battle
I see now is proper for love
So I think I will travel to Rio
Using the music for flight
There's nothing that I know of in Rio
But it's something to do with the night
It's only a whimsical notion
To fly down to Rio tonight
And I probably won't fly down to Rio
But then again I just might

I think I will travel to Rio
Using the music for flight
There's nothing I know of in Rio
But it's something to do with the night
It's only a whimsical notion
To fly down to Rio tonight
And I probably won't fly down to Rio
But then again I just might

Christopher L.
http://ezclee4050.tripod.com

No thanks in advance

devorahmuse

Sep 3, 2002, 10:31:14 AM9/3/02
tric...@aardvark.net.au (Tricia J) wrote in message news:<3d74555f...@news.aardvark.net.au>...

> Fascinating... I really like Nesmith's work... thanks for posting, and
> please keep us updated on the book - I'm sure lots of folk around here
> would be interested.
>
> Hmmm...I must have a look. I was always told the Monkees never played music but pretended and that Mike Nesmith was the only musician. When I was little I was crazy bout Dolenz since he seemed the most funny and fun (did my love for drummers start THAT young? ah!) anyway I also heard that Mike Nesmith's Mom was the creator of "WHITE OUT" really. is there any truth to that senior?

aw man! did spell check ruin it all?

shit I'm gonna white out some words..like this stupidity I just spilled.

love the silly muse!

Rufus Leaking

Sep 3, 2002, 3:44:54 PM9/3/02
>I also heard that Mike Nesmith's Mom was the creator of "WHITE OUT" really.
>is there any truth to that senior?

it is in fact true. MN has spoken of it on a couple tv interviews I've seen.

Off to dig out Elephant Parts and have a laugh. Nothing like a little
"Neighborhood Nuclear Superiority" to lighten the day...

Dave

"Hid in the reeds are eyes that peek,
voices I don't understand.
Flamingos fly endlessly,
To the silent sky"

Chris Lee

Sep 3, 2002, 6:24:57 PM9/3/02
>>I also heard that Mike Nesmith's Mom was the creator of "WHITE OUT" really.
>>is there any truth to that senior?
>>

>it is in fact true. MN has spoken of it on a couple tv interviews I've seen.

To be anal about it, she actually invented Liquid Paper. Wite-Out was a ripoff
of it.