They Might Be Giants in concert

Michael John Petterson

Nov 22, 1992, 5:00:43 PM11/22/92
I saw They Might Be Giants in concert this past Friday at Fairfax auditorium,
with the Young Fresh Fellows opening in L.A.

The first surprise of the evening was when I walked in the entrance, and lo,
there before my unbelieving eyes was "Weird Al" Yankovic!!! He was there
obviously hear another great american accordian band. I thought he might
be sitting right in front of me, but it turns out he was on the exact
opposite side of the auditorium. (end of weird al news, rec.music.dementia
can now hit "j")

As for the bands, the Young Fresh Fellows were pleasantly surprising, much
more complementary to TMBG's sound than Freedy Johnston was when I saw them
in August. They played a most rousing version of "Taco Wagon", which is
sort of a cross between "Frankenstein" and "Tequila".

TMBG finally came out and opened with "The Guitar". It was a pretty "hit"
filled concert, with the occasional rare gem such as "Hide Away Folk Family"
"Toddler Hiway", and from fingertips "I'm having a heart attack" (a personal
experience, according to John L.) The only thing I'm hyper-bummed at, is
that I've only heard them perform "Put your hand inside the puppet head"
once, and that was a few years ago. It sounds fabulous live.

For the "spin the dial" section of the program (the "nader" as John F. put
it), they sang a splendid version of "I wanna know what love is" by
Foreigner. Something about, "I stopped to ask a guy for directions, when
I was driving my car, and now it is his car".

Again, they played the funky Istanbul, for one of their encores. We had
a party of 9 people go, ranging from the hard-core fans to some casual
listeners. As much as I enjoyed the show, I think the casual listeners
had a better time, due to the fact that they were blown away by how good
the band sounded.

All in all, a good show, that I would recommend to anyone.

Michael J. Petterson | "Listen! A sower went out to sow..."
mik...@cheshire.oxy.edu | -Jesus

Larry R. Ader

Nov 23, 1992, 1:07:11 PM11/23/92
In article <1992Nov22....@cheshire.oxy.edu>, mik...@cheshire.oxy.edu (Michael John Petterson) writes:
|> I saw They Might Be Giants in concert this past Friday at Fairfax auditorium,
|> with the Young Fresh Fellows opening in L.A.

I saw a similar version of the concert at the Great American Music Hall in
San Francisco on Sun. Nov. 15th. The Young Fresh Fellows opened for them
that night also.

|> TMBG finally came out and opened with "The Guitar". It was a pretty "hit"
|> filled concert, with the occasional rare gem such as "Hide Away Folk Family"
|> "Toddler Hiway", and from fingertips "I'm having a heart attack" (a personal
|> experience, according to John L.) The only thing I'm hyper-bummed at, is
|> that I've only heard them perform "Put your hand inside the puppet head"
|> once, and that was a few years ago. It sounds fabulous live.

What are you saying?? John Linell actually had a heart attack?!? How old
is he? Around 30 maybe?

I've seen TMBG twice now and have been waiting for them to play "Nothing's
Gonna Change My Clothes" and/or "Sapphire Bullets...". Well, maybe next time.

|> For the "spin the dial" section of the program (the "nader" as John F. put
|> it), they sang a splendid version of "I wanna know what love is" by
|> Foreigner. Something about, "I stopped to ask a guy for directions, when
|> I was driving my car, and now it is his car".

We got real "lucky" for this portion of the show -- they happened upon a
"easy-listenin'" station that was playing "Morning Has Broken" (gag).
John F. didn't know too many of the words, but John L. played a beautiful
accoridian to it!

I had heard from my brother (who saw them in Milwaukee about a month ago)
that they were planning on appearing on Leno on Novemeber 19th. I set my
VCR, but was disappointed when they weren't on. Does anybody know if they're
going to be on Leno sometime soon? (I assume it would be when they're in the
LA area..)

".. a furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice .."

Larry Ader ||
Amdahl Corporation || ames \
1250 E. Arques Ave. M/S 139 || apple > !amdahl!lra00
P.O. Box 3470 || att /
Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3470 || uunet /
ph. 408/992-2722 || or lr...@amdahl.com

Brett Alexander Cruden

Nov 26, 1992, 3:22:57 PM11/26/92
In article <393902i...@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> lr...@pecan.spa.amdahl.com (Larry R. Ader) writes:

>I had heard from my brother (who saw them in Milwaukee about a month ago)
>that they were planning on appearing on Leno on Novemeber 19th. I set my
>VCR, but was disappointed when they weren't on. Does anybody know if they're
>going to be on Leno sometime soon? (I assume it would be when they're in the
>LA area..)

They were on the Tonight Show this summer. I think it's doubtful they would
be booked again this fall. It could happen, but I doubt it.

When they were on they played "The Guitar" and "The Statue got me high"