Dear Dr. Demento...

D a v i d T a n n y

Oct 16, 2007, 12:01:49 AM10/16/07
Dear Dr. Demento.

re: your letter on drdemento.com

That is the DUMBEST thing I have ever heard read that was authorized by
you. No wonder your loosing fans and listeners. Instead of addressing
your probems and planning to do something about it, you just write up a
batch of excuses about this and that. I'm not buying this demented
Cool-aid for one minute.

Scathing? Hello, Dr. Demento. You Need a Reality Checkup.

So, we now know who the man behind the iron Talonian curtain is.

Unfortunately, your explantion on your drdemento.com website continues
to shoot blanks when faced with a reality check.

Why did your advertisers flee? Haven't you hired a sales manager to get
those advertisers to replace the ones that left? What about inviting
luke ski, Sudden Death, Weird Al, Richard Cheese, and all of those other
big names buy some advertisements that plug their albums and concert
tours?

Why aren't you in Los Angeles? Get your friggin' ass over to CBS or
Clear Channel or Indie or whatever and iron out a way to get your show
back on the friggin' airwaves. So CBS Radio likes to run 20 minutes of
commercials an hour. So what? Produce a 120 minute show with nine breaks
for stopsets and let stations add up to 60 minutes of commercials per
hour. That's a good three-hour show. The way your show is produced with
fewer minutes alloted for commercials per hour is very much in the way
of getting a station to carry a show. Remember back in 1998 when KLSX
dropped a segment so that it could run more commercials and annoying
announcements for some sex talk show? You should have saw some signs
that you need to listen to their needs.

As for the issue of whether a station should share their advertisement
revenue with a radio show host, it ain't gonna happen, pal! You're
simply not entitled to any advertising revenue a radio station
generates. The station is entitled to generating advertising revenue to
pay for the operations of their station as well as to pay for talent and
radio shows such as yours. All you do is supply the programming for a
fee, then that's all. It's just like every syndicator that sells shows
with no built-in ads. The station has the right to put a value on your
services, and if yours is not worth their money, they simply won't hire
you. Give them a reason to hire you.

As for telling the radio stations affilliates to cut off their streams
while your show is on, are you nucking futs? Your show is an
advertisement of your services in itself, and you killed off your own
free publicity machine in favor of, what's this you said, scathing
online denunciations in r.m.d. and other places? This is simply PR gone
bad. You're blowing it big time, Doc!

As for your online paid streaming services, f--- this! F--- this!
I ain't paying for bulls--t products from any bad business including
yours. I'm not paying $2 for a crappy lo-fidelty stream of reruns of
older shows I've heard an average of 27 times in the past 29 years I've
been listening to the show. Chances are, when I download some Dr. D
shows from a USENET binary newsgroup (thanks to all who do), I skip over
the songs I already have or have no interest in and listen to the newer
songs, then I seek them out on myspace for songs that might be on there
for me to download in high quality 128kbps.

I'm not joining your DOC club either. I have better plans to spend my
money since I'm no longer ponying up $40 a month for some goddamn
live365 service run by incompetent people who don't know how to make
money and keep customers. I could pay for and listen to older shows. I
ask why if I've heard them so many times already, why repay again and
again?

So, why do I need to listen to an entire show again if all I'm
interested in are listening to individual songs instead of waiting for
some song I'm not interested in to play out until something new and cool
or new to me comes in. Selling your own shows online as a stream is
rather tedious at best. The world has changed into an on-demand basis.
Everybody wants to hear a particular song now instead of waiting until
after a block of other stuff played.

The fump.com, for example, is a good business model, and it even
features songs that should have gotten some fame by you by playing them,
but haven't. You can stream a song, you can purchase a high quality
individual song, you can buy an album, and you can even post your own
links to your own songs (wish they would host the sideshow songs). This
is a model you should be looking into, Doc.

I for one have six of my stuff on the fump sideshow. Check them out.
They're relevant, different, insightful, and unique, or check them out
at my website davidtanny.com and hear what dementoids have been missing
out on for almost ten years now. Some get it. Some don't. For those who
don't get it, that shows that I'm cutting edge dementia because a lot of
ideas for parodies and originals are coming from a point of view that is
being ignored by the media: the ordinary money-challenged (I can't
afford a studio or a staff as I'm all alone in this town)
academically-challenged (just a community college grad) person.

Does a song have to be good in order to be popular? No. Does a music
programmer have to like the song that they play on the radio? No. What
does matter? The public likes what is played whether the deejay or music
programmer likes it or not. Do people know if a song is going to be good
or bad just by looking at the title? Not until they hear it. Do people
like to request what some radio people call bad songs? Yes. What is bad?
It depends on one's humble opinion on whatever is good or bad to them.

Is it too late to save the Dr. Demento Show? The way things are going,
it probably is. No station is streaming the show. Krellan is out of the
Dr. Demento business because of that (thanks Krellan for your hard
work).

I would have paid $2 for a decent download of a 24kbps Dr. Demento show
back in 1997 just to sample the songs as that's been my interest for
most of my life as the streamers back then were unreliable (remember
those hiccups of the signal back in the day?) or out of reach in the
days of dial-up.

Now that cable broadband is the way, 128kbps is the way to go for $1 a
show stream but it has to be made in a way that is employed on
myspace.com where you can forward or reverse within the show so you can
sample the song again or skip over some overplayed stuff.

Dr. Demento, you need to stop the excuses on your website as your letter
slams us for posting what you call "scathing online denunciations." I
say they're called "consumer complaints." When I criticize AT&T for
their bad service, it's a consumer complaint, not a scathing
denunciation. The same goes for Talonian Productions' way of doing
business; it's a consumer complaint.

Also hampering the Dr. Demento Show is a rather small selection of new
funny music. How about doing several shows a year featuring six full
sets of all new demented music and comedy. When are you going to play
some modern day comedians on your show? Why haven't you been playing any
recent stuff from George Carlin (an editor can excise the $325,000 words
out of the material)? I like the "Modern Man" comedy bit a lot, and you
stiill won't play it?

Hello, Dr. Demento. Time for a checkup. Play some golf and let me or
somebody else create a playlist for you full of new and notable
dementia, novelty, comedy, weird, and otherwise insane material and give
a person a reason to spend $2 to sample a show. Preferably at least
96kbps, but keep the 24kbps for dial-up listeners, but charge the same
anyway. Make them upgrade to cable to get a better sound.

Now listnen. Dr. Demento. Take down your silly "note from Dr. Demento"
propaganda. You apologize to the readers. You hire some qualified people
to change your business model into one that fully embraces the Internet
like I was forced to do back in February of 1997 as I had been doing
since then. You allow radio stations to stream your show again for no
additional fee. You hire a sales rep to get some businesses to advertise
on your show. You remodel your website so that it's consumer friendly.
You rethink how you sell indivudual shows. You start reselling song
downloads like fump and itunes are doing.

Dr. Demento, get yourself demented once again. Admit your mistakes
instead of posting excuses. Do something now or else your show will
simply fade away.

signed

david tanny

Worm Quartet

Oct 16, 2007, 10:10:57 AM10/16/07
David -

You certainly have the right to express your opinion on Dr. D's
business model and explain your research into other ways of doing
things, but why do so in the form of an attack? Dr. Demento has the
right to run his business however he wants. His current business
model may not be working as well as it could, but it's up to him to
figure that out, and it's his call what to do about it. Beyond that,
you say that YOU should be writing Dr. Demento's playlists? YOUR
music is better than what Dr. D plays? Do you honestly expect anyone
to back you here? Dr. Demento has been doing what he does for 30
years. He is the reason most of us are familiar with pretty much ANY
comedy music, and part of the reason many of us are making comedy
music. He has earned his status as a legend. He can run his show any
damn way he pleases.

He's also an exceedingly nice person, and deserves better than to have
this sort of self-serving diatribe thrown at him.

I really hope your mention of The FuMP in this note was not meant to
imply that your views reflect those of the FuMP as a whole, or any of
its members. They sure as hell don't reflect mine.

I also sincerely hope this post was borne of frustration, and that an
apology is forthcoming. I greatly appreciate your support of WQ and
Dementia as a whole over the years, and I'd like to think that you're
better than this.

Sincerely,
-=ShoEboX=-
www.wormquartet.com

devospice

Oct 16, 2007, 10:38:23 AM10/16/07
> Why did your advertisers flee?

I can tell you it's not for the reasons you think. Dr. D mentions
that his show is hard to sell because of its broad demographics, which
is true to a point, but it's even harder to sell when the person you
hired to sell your advertising isn't doing their job. Dr. Demento got
completely screwed by the last company that was supposed to be selling
advertising on the show.

I know this because I actually tried to buy air time on the show.
Emphasis on the word tried. When Technobabble came out I was going to
produce a radio spot and air it on Dr. Demento for however long I
could afford. I contacted Dr. D who gave me the contact info of the
advertiser guy. I called him SEVEN TIMES over a period of a few
weeks, leaving a message after at least four of the calls. He never
answered his phone and never called me back. I eventually gave up, as
I'm sure all the other advertisers who were trying to buy air time
did.

It was right around this time that the show stopped airing national
ads altogether. I don't know if he has looked into other advertising
companies or not since then.

->Later.....Spice

filkertom

Oct 16, 2007, 11:10:32 AM10/16/07
Now, y'see, I think WQ and Devo are being far too nice.

I'm not going to bother attempting to make sense of your contradictory
philosophical ramblings, although a lot of it seems to boil down to I
Demand Excellent Quality For Free Without Consideration For Basic
Economics Oh And You Don't Play Enough Of My Brilliant Stuff. If your
music and your marketing savvy are really that superior, by all means
apply them to your own circumstance so I can, um, have heard of you.

I will point out that it's a little more complex than you seem to
think to walk into CBS or Clear Channel and get a radio show.

And buying a song on iTunes is not the same as paying broadcast
royalties on two dozen songs every week.

And you have a very interesting notion of how recording a radio show
works. You might try it yourself. It's called a "podcast". They're
not searchable, either. You want to play individual songs? Buy
individual songs. Although I suspect you don't want to do that.
Might cost you something.

And we at The FuMP are following a very different economic model.
(Heck, I'm following a different model from The FuMP. Close, but not
quite the same.)

And if you don't like the product, then you can simply go away and not
buy any more of it. Nobody's saying, "Pay two bucks for that audio
stream or we'll kill this kitten."

And we haven't even got into your demands regarding audio quality,
which are directly related to server space, speed, compromising for
people still on dial-up, etc., etc., etc.

Dr. D is trying to continue his business in a changing world. As you
say, there's this internet thing. But he still has to, and wants to,
conform to laws, rules, regulations, and the need to pay his own
bills. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. He'll find that out in
due time. But I sincerely doubt your "advice" will help anybody
besides... you.

(I'm sure, by the way, that Luke and Devo and Richard Cheese are
tremendously flattered that you consider them in the same league,
advertising-wise, as Weird Al, who did have his own TV show and is on
a national tour and at least has a chance of some airplay on regular
radio.)

Long story short: You come off like Veruca Salt. The pony isn't
precisely the color you wanted, and you've got to feed it and take
care of it, and if you don't like it the pony won't much care if you
abandon it. It'll manage by itself.

Even shorter: Grow the hell up.

peterpuck9

Oct 16, 2007, 11:40:11 AM10/16/07

David Tanny does do a podcast since he pulled the plug on his Live365
station.

rob.b...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2007, 12:59:36 PM10/16/07
On Oct 16, 12:01 am, D a v i d T a n n y <daveNOSPAMne...@cox.net>
wrote:

I don't mind The FuMP being used as a example in a discussion about
business models and online content. Not all of us agree about these
things, and they're worth a public debate.

But David, everyone in the FuMP seems to agree that your tone in this
post is disrespectful to the point of being downright shitty. If
you're writing as an angry fan, then it's way beyond what even a
"dissatisfied customer" has a right to express. And if you're writing
to express professional advice, then you picked a completely
unprofessional way to do it.

If you wanted to make these points to Dr Demento, his email is not
hard to find. By posting an open letter to the newsgroup, plugging
your site, etc. it looks a lot more like a play for attention than a
call for change.

Next time you want to write a public rant, leave us out of it.

Rob Balder
The Funny Music Project

ezer...@insightbb.com

Oct 16, 2007, 1:44:54 PM10/16/07
> The Funny Music Project- Hide quoted text -

Dear David Tanny,
You have no right what so ever to tell Dr. Demento how to run his
business! Shame on you!!!
Here is part of an email I sent Dr. Demento today.

Dear Dr. Demento,
Please accept my apology for sending you that discusting post from
David Tanny!! David Tanny made it very clear that he is a total
idiot!!!
I first would like to say that David Tanny doesn't have the right to
tell you have to run your business! You run it the way you see fit.
I think the streaming idea was excellent! Now I don't have an actual
time to listen to the radio to hear your show. I can hear it anytime!
You have been doing you show for much longer than David has been doing
his! His songs suck, by the way!!!
I think your show is much better than his! I understand how your show
works and of coarse I will hear repeats of songs especially on the
funny 5. I don't mind that, it's part of the show. I like to see where
songs end up on the funny 5.
I highly respect you and enjoy your shows very much! It certainly is
an honor to be a part of the Demento Online Club and I always look
forward to a new show every week and the chats! I don't think it was
right of David Tanny to attack you in this manner!
Very unprofessional!!
I sure hope you don't end your show anytime soon.
I really think David owes you a stern apology!
Edwin

peterpuck9

Oct 16, 2007, 2:05:08 PM10/16/07

It's hard to picture Shoebox as the voice of reason, but there you
go.

I thought that the tone of your post was overly harsh D.T. You do make
some good points but you really get nowhere ranting like this. If you
don't like the way Dr. D runs his show, you can always do your own as
you have for a few years now. Thanks........Pete

ezer...@insightbb.com

Oct 16, 2007, 3:03:22 PM10/16/07
On Oct 16, 12:01 am, D a v i d T a n n y <daveNOSPAMne...@cox.net>
wrote:

Dear David Tanny,

the great Luke Ski

Oct 16, 2007, 3:04:52 PM10/16/07
David,

I feel the need to write a response to this. Chances are I'll be
repeating a lot of the same things said by my other fellow funny
musician friends who have already posted responses. But so be it.

First of all, while I can take the compliment that you're grouping me
with Sudden Death, Richard Cheese, and Weird Al, I'm not thrilled that
you used my name specifically in a post attacking on Dr. Demento.
Sometime a couple years ago, somebody used my name in a series of
online attacks that led to a sci-fi convention I regularly performed
at going out of business. For that reason I feel it's necessary for me
to state here that the feelings and opinions of David Tanny are not
those of Luke Sienkowski (the great Luke Ski).

I'm not going to debate his business model, since the other funny
music acts that already responded have already said what I'd want to
say, much better than I could reiterate it. But I will say this...

If I knew the difference between "The Dr. Demento Show" ending forever
or continuing, was me paying him $2 a week, I would gladly pay him $2
a week.

Dr. Demento has been nothing but supportive to me in the 12 years I've
been sending him my songs. He is a wonderful, generous, sweet man, who
has devoted his life to elevating the artform and educating the
mundane masses about the vast world of comedy music & audio, showing
them that it is far from being a 'novelty'. Neither you, I, or any of
the folks who listen to "The Dr. Demento Show", the songs at "The
FuMP", my stuff, or your stuff would be into comedy music at all if it
weren't for him. He has been it's champion for 37 years. We all owe
him a great debt for that.

Your post comes off making you look like a foolish crybaby who is
pissed off and bitter that you never got any airplay on his show
(except the Mariah Carey bit last year). It makes you look like you're
trying to make a statement to the world of comedy music, declaring
yourself the new king leader comedy music radio/internet show,
attempting to usurp Dr. Demento of his throne and take over. You were
being mean to him. It wasn't cute, clever, or funny, and it didn't
help enthesize any of your points, even the potentially valid ones.
You were just being a mean jerk. And it makes you look like a bad
person.

David, I'm your friend, and I'm trying really hard here to be nice.
But to be honest, you really just made yourself look like a jackass in
front of everybody, including people who haven't heard of you yet, and
may have been interested in listening to your songs or your show if
their first exposure to your existance hadn't been this post...

...Oh look, a new song at the FuMP Sideshow by... oh... that 'David
Tanny' guy who posts all those attacks on Dr. Demento... Hm... I'll
check back and see what's there tomorrow...

There's constructive criticism and advice, and then there's nasty
negativity which only begets more nasty negativity. You could have
made those same points to Dr. D. without being nasty and mean, but you
chose to be nasty and mean anyway. I do think you owe him an apology.
But that's your choice.

I can relate to you better than you realize. Back in 97, when my most
popular song at my first convention performances was "Y.O.D.A.", I
wanted so much for him to play it and have it become a Funny 5 / 25
hit, the big Star Wars song of 1997. He never played it, and instead
"Star Wars Cantina" became the big Star Wars hit of 97. Other songs
like "Cornholio" were similarly ignored. Yeah, it sucks when something
you put a lot of work into doesn't get the attention you feel it
deserves. But lashing out at Dr. D isn't the answer. It isn't nice, it
doesn't accomplish anything, and will only serve to deter people from
you and your work.

Keep making dementia tracks, and keep doing your podcast. Do what you
do because you love doing it. Hopefully someday one of your creations
will get the big spotlight treatment. But until then, don't give into
hate, don't go dark side on us.

Good luck,

Luke

Spaff.com

Oct 16, 2007, 9:13:29 PM10/16/07
David:

I replied to your last anti-Dr. Demento diatribe and now I find myself
replying to this one. I don't know why I feel the need to do so; maybe
it's because I worry that since you play Robert Lund songs on your
show and name-drop The FuMP in your posts, people may suspect that I
agree with you. I don't.

Dr. Demento is solely responsible for taking comedy music and changing
it from "novelty" into its own radio format. Every one of us who
enjoys comedy music as a genre owes a huge debt to him and his efforts
for the past 35 years. Speaking personally, my love for the Dr.
Demento Show is pretty much the sole reason I started writing song
parodies and the main reason I continue to do so now.

You must admit, DT, that your show's format borrows heavily from Dr.
Demento's, and that it wouldn't exist at all if Dr. Demento hadn't
paved the way for you and built an audience for this material. You
should be kissing his feet, not publicly eviscerating him.

We know you don't like his business model. We know you don't want to
pay for his show. We know you think you can provide comedy music
better than he can. You've made that clear. We get it. Now please stop
being such a prick about it.

xoxox
Spaff

Nomen Nescio

Oct 16, 2007, 9:31:16 PM10/16/07
What the Tanny bashing? He speaketh the truth. But I think
the majority of yawls’ 'ad hoc' attacks are a result of being fans
of the show and feeling helpless to do anything about. Let's face
it folks, all of you with websites and so forth you're all reaching
for the same slice of the pie. So instead of bashing Tanny for his
arguments take a good look at yourselves. What have you
contributed to the good ol doc? Flat out in my opinion, Dr. Demento
kind of slit his own wrist as a result of bad business tactics, anybody
who's been a Dx'er ( a dee exer back in the olden days of radio was
tuning the dial in order to find something different on the radio),
Basically sic., he’s taken the fun out dx’ing for some of his core
audience now discovering the internet. Frankly when I mention
the Doctor Demento show, to people, 100% of the people say
“Oh is he still on.” Which requires a long explanation about
the radio/distribution plight. That's life in the big city.

However since the regulations have gotten tighter, folks like Dr. Demento
with an antiquated business models get backed into a corner, now just
imagine that. Here the good Doc has done his show for years, I'd
like to know what happened with Westwood and the other production
companies? Hopefully he'll start thinking out of the box.

Tanny wrote,

|As for the issue of whether a station should share their advertisement

|revenue with a radio show host, it isn’t going to happen, pal! You're

|simply not entitled to any advertising revenue a radio station
|generates.

I did not know this. Is this the reason why the Doc is backed into a
corner? Or not firing on all cylinders. I can see his perspective now,
but there are always equitable solutions as longs you think out of the box.
Everybody encountering the same indecisions should ask themselves "Why?
Why am I doing it this way?" Which is a start to thinking out
of the box.

Tanny wrote,

|Hello, Dr. Demento. Time for a checkup. Play some golf and let me or
|somebody else create a playlist for you full of new and notable
|dementia, novelty, comedy, weird, and otherwise insane material and give
|a person a reason to spend $2 to sample a show.

My opinion. I think Barrett Hansen understands what he needs to do
better than a music director. Take that persona 'Dr Demento' out and
it's not the Dr Demento show anymore. I think it all boils down to the old adage
if you can't beat 'em join 'em. Barrett needs to get out of that corner
and quit shivering like a wet whipped mongrel. You people chastising him
need to pick him up and coddle him otherwise he'll start snarling and foaming
at the mouth. Sorry couldn't resist the description.

jakew...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2007, 11:12:22 PM10/16/07
David,

I have to agree with the majority of the folks here, and I can't
really add more than what they've said. What you did was uncalled for
and just mean. I think you'll see that you're hurting yourself and
your image more than your intended target.

jake

Eric Houg

Oct 16, 2007, 11:36:46 PM10/16/07
Nomen Nescio the sock puppet wrote:
> What the Tanny bashing? He speaketh the truth.

Nomen Nescio seems to be David Tanny. They both like to refer to Doctor Demento as
Barret Hansen, they both have said Doctor Demento is "not firing on all cylinders".
They both post frequently to alt.gossip.celebrities.

There have been posts here from anonymous remailers written similarly to David Tanny.
Their names: George Orwell, bs, Anonyma.

What does Nomen Nescio mean? From Wikipedia:
Nomen nescio, abbreviated to N.N., is used to signify an anonymous or non-specific
person. From Latin nomen, name, and nescire, not to know, be ignorant of.

D a v i d T a n n y

Oct 17, 2007, 12:02:00 AM10/17/07
Prove it!

ezer...@insightbb.com

Oct 17, 2007, 4:35:12 AM10/17/07

I clicked the View Profile of Nomen Nescio and this is what I got!
This account has been banned because it violated the Google Groups
Terms Of Use.
Edwin

bandit

Oct 18, 2007, 9:13:25 AM10/18/07
Hell, David Tanny.
Are you still living in your Mom's house in San Diego. You are a loser.
Your open letter of stupid, self-promoting, hostility is better left to
your girlfriend ( you know, the neighbor's 12 yr. old daughter).
Go crawl back in your dork hole, you are the king of all nerds and don't
deserve anything good to happen to you in life.
Oh, and hurry up and deliver that pizza. Has to be there in 30 minutes or
less or it's free, dumbass!

You have been riding the Doc's coat tails for too many years to count now.

the ones that have their "other" website, so you can look more closely at
them.

I'm sure at this point the Dr. is sooooo glad he ever gave you the time of
day.

Get a life, get a girlfriend, and get lost!!

Frank Jones
Lifelong Dementite

"D a v i d T a n n y" <daveNOS...@cox.net> wrote in message

DJ Particle

Oct 18, 2007, 12:33:34 PM10/18/07
On Oct 15, 11:01 pm, D a v i d T a n n y <davene...@cox.net> wrote:
> Dear Dr. Demento.
>
>(cut for length...we all know what it says)

Holy.... and I thought my rant a few weeks ago was rough O.o and
that was *before* all the info came out, and I've changed my views on
a few things since then (and Doc, if you're reading this, I humbly
apologize if my rant from back then came off as 'scathing')
For example, back then I had no idea just how desperate Doc had gotten
to keep the show alive :(
This week...there's just no excuse for a rant like that.

To be frank, I'm still curious as to why Dr. D and Westwood One parted
ways in 1992 in the first place.
I was also not aware there there were no network spots on the show.
These days, having network spots is vital for survival.

That said though, despite that I agree with some of your points, you
really came off the wrong way, and the mention of your own music and
podcasts seemed like a backdoor ad. -.- And also, Doc has started
putting in easter eggs for the online streams (extra songs, uncensored
songs) that makes the pay-stream option more attractive. If I had the
$2 to spare weekly, I'd buy in, and if enough people are able to buy
in weekly, then Doc likely could get enough server space to post a
128k archive for casual customers and 192k archive for DOC members.

But top priority for the show IMHO seems to be attracting
advertisers. Spice earlier mentioned that it's currently tough to do
so, but from what I've been hearing, that's changing, and Doc is
currently working with others in the dementia community to make the
show a hot property again. So the wheels are in motion, changes are
afoot, we just need to wait for the dust to settle, and afterward it
should benefit Doc and listeners both.

It's easy to be angry at the current situation, especially in this "on-
demand" world we currently live in, but don't give in to blind rage,
ok? *hugs* Take a few steps back like I did, calm down, get the
whole picture, and see what you can do to help :)

--Emi / DJP

PS - don't listen to what Ezeriah said. I happen to like your
stuff :) Especially "All Out of Pups"

Tim Ryan

Oct 18, 2007, 2:54:59 PM10/18/07
see below...
"DJ Particle" <> wrote ...

> If I had the
> $2 to spare weekly, I'd buy in, and if enough people are able to buy
> in weekly, then Doc likely could get enough server space to post a
> 128k archive for casual customers and 192k archive for DOC members.
Chicken and egg. The 128-44-S mp3 format has been used for close to 10
years by show listeners who were/are trading shows with each other. The
lower fidelity is turning long-time fans away. Then we can look at
attracting those casual listeners to the show streams. But, I feel
that a $2 128-44-S mp3 (file or stream) must be offered. This can be
done with the next show put up on www.drdemento.com. From what I read,
here and in other forums, this is what will turn those who would like to
hear the show, but will not because of the offering of a less than short
wave radio fidelity stream, back to buying a stream. This forum and
others were very vocal about this 2 years ago when the on-line delivery
of shows started.

> but from what I've been hearing, that's changing, and Doc is
> currently working with others in the dementia community to make the
> show a hot property again. So the wheels are in motion, changes are
> afoot, we just need to wait for the dust to settle, and afterward it
> should benefit Doc and listeners both.

I then ask Dr. Demento to post to his site, his discussion board, or
here, that he has heard his fans and is working to make changes to
present the on-line product that fans are asking for. I am not asking
this of the Taloian manager (Arthyr), but of doc to show us he is master
of his own (web) domain. ;) I fear that Barry would have to end the
show by the end of the year to keep from losing more money.

-Tim

(to Dave)

> but don't give in to blind rage,

> Take a few steps back like I did, calm down, get the
> whole picture, and see what you can do to help :)

Yes, David, you went far beyond a letter of complaint or a letter
commenting on what it would take you to be an on-line customer.

-Tim

> --Emi / DJP

A-Log

Oct 19, 2007, 6:06:39 PM10/19/07
To Mr. Tanny,

I can understand your frustration on Dr. Demento's current business
practices, but even I think you've gone a bit overboard with this
situation. Unless someone corrects me, you've just had your own Sister
Souljah moment (in this case, hating someone without the correct
context).

I've been a fan of the Dr. since first hearing his appearance on the
Simpsons. The first album I bought was the 20th Anniversary collection
around 1998 and became hooked. Wasn't able to listen to the show full-
time until early 2004. I'm still bummed that I won't listen to him
online any more, but I hope that Dr. D could change his mind and give
at least a resonable price for radio to stream the show. (On that
note, please bring the show back to WPYX in upstate NY!)

I myself have been in the situation of sending a song only to be
ignored. However, when I first met Dr. D at BB King's Bar & Grill in
NYC, he's a very nice guy. When I asked about my parody, "Groucho
Marx's Mustache", he told me that he listens to it from time to time.
He also told me that he thought of me when he passed through Staten
Island on the way there. Very nice guy.

So unlike you, I can't get mad at the guy. Annoyed, yes; but angry,
no. I'm still trying to perfect my parody and music skills so I can
have a shot on being played on the show before (God forbid) he
retires.

Believe it,
Anthony "A-Log" LoGatto

peterpuck9

Oct 19, 2007, 10:43:57 PM10/19/07

A-Log....Can we please hear that some way? Either send it to the FuMP
sideshow or to Captain Wayne. I am a huge Marx Bros
fan..........Thanks.......
Pete from across the Goethals Bridge

KenM

Oct 28, 2007, 7:52:04 PM10/28/07
Gotta agree, he's killing his show by making it impossible for people to
listen to...

KenM

Oct 28, 2007, 7:58:41 PM10/28/07
Get rid of the streams and go download and I'll pay the $2 a week for the
show...

Otherwise, if Dr. D gets it forced of the I-net and doesn't get a local
affiliate, then that even fewer people listening for him to "try" to sell

"DJ Particle" <emio...@djparticle.com> wrote in message