WWL (870 AM on radio) - nighttime country show -- GOOD STUFF!!!

FITZPATRICK, PATRICK JAMES

Oct 5, 1991, 5:33:24 PM10/5/91
Just thought I'd make a plug for a semi-national country music.
It can be picked up over most of the
United States now especially in the Southeast United States.
It called the Roadgang Show, and can be heard from midnight to 5AM (CST).
The main station is 870 AM WWL in New Orleans, though there are some other
affiliates throughout the US. WWL itself is "clear channel."

Anyway, they play REAL country music, with Dave Nemo as host on weekdays
and John Parker on weekends. John Parker (called Honest John by regulars)
is especially entertaining, and
plays older country music for the most part. Hence, listeners
get a break from the TOP 40. In addition
usually there are trivia games as well about country music, and some
of the facts are quite interesting.

Also, on Sunday mornings, from 3-5, Honest John plays only country music from
the 30's, 40's, and 50's, with tributes to particular artists like Kitty Wells
and Hank Williams, etc....

Since I'm sure some of you are regular listeners maybe somebody could answer
a couple if questions for me....

1) What is the Road Gang's 800 number?
2) Honest John used to play a bluegrass program from 4-5 on Saturday
mornings on WWL. But he stopped about a year or so ago. Anybody
know what happened to it? i.e., did he give it a rest for a while
so that he can bring it back later, or did WWL say to John "stop the
Bluegrass program," etc....
Anyway, for true country lover's, if you are up one night, or are
a night owl, give the Road Gang a shot. It has a few commercials, but
is well worth listening to.....

Pat Fitzpatrick

Don Lewis

Oct 8, 1991, 2:23:13 AM10/8/91
In article <22...@helios.TAMU.EDU> pjf...@zeus.tamu.edu writes:
>Just thought I'd make a plug for a semi-national country music.
>It can be picked up over most of the
>United States now especially in the Southeast United States.
>It called the Roadgang Show, and can be heard from midnight to 5AM (CST).
>The main station is 870 AM WWL in New Orleans, though there are some other
>affiliates throughout the US. WWL itself is "clear channel."

I used to listen to this all the time when I lived in Ohio and Florida.
I wish I could pick it up out here in California.

>Also, on Sunday mornings, from 3-5, Honest John plays only country music from
>the 30's, 40's, and 50's, with tributes to particular artists like Kitty Wells
>and Hank Williams, etc....

I believe he also plays some music from the 20's as well. I especially
miss this part of the show.
--
Don "Truck" Lewis Phone: +1 916 265-3211 Silicon Systems
Internet: (under contruction) FAX: +1 916 265-2931 138 New Mohawk Road