Billboard's year-end top-75

gen...@ix.netcom.com

Dec 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/21/96

Hot Country Singles & Tracks (Year End Charts - December 28, 1996)

Pos. TITLE - Artist - Label
1 MY MARIA - Brooks & Dunn - Arista
2 BLUE CLEAR SKY - George Strait - MCA
3 TIME MARCHES ON - Tracy Lawrence - Atlantic
4 DADDY'S MONEY - Ricochet - Columbia
5 SHE NEVER LETS IT GO TO HER HEART - Tim McGraw - Curb
6 LIVING IN A MOMENT - Ty Herndon - Epic
7 NO ONE NEEDS TO KNOW - Shania Twain - Mercury Nashville
8 YOU CAN FEEL BAD - Patty Loveless - Epic
9 HYPNOTIZE THE MOON - Clay Walker - Giant
10 NO NEWS - Lonestar - BNA
11 YOU WIN MY LOVE - Shania Twain - Mercury Nashville
12 (IF YOU'RE NOT...) I'M OUTTA HERE! - Shania Twain - Mercury
13 SO MUCH FOR PRETENDING - Bryan White - Asylum
14 IT MATTERS TO ME - Faith Hill - Warner Bros.
15 I THINK ABOUT YOU - Collin Raye - Epic
16 DOES THAT BLUE MOON EVER SHINE ON YOU - Toby Keith - Mercury
17 HOME - Alan Jackson - Arista
18 CARRIED AWAY - George Strait - MCA
19 BIGGER THAN THE BEATLES - Joe Diffie - Epic
20 ON A GOOD NIGHT - Wade Hayes - Columbia
21 TO BE LOVED BY YOU - Wynonna - Curb
22 BELIEVE ME BABY (I LIED) - Trisha Yearwood - MCA
23 SOMEONE ELSE'S DREAM - Faith Hill - Warner Bros.
24 I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO LOVE YOU ANYMORE - Bryan White - Asylum
25 YOU GOTTA LOVE THAT - Neal McCoy - Atlantic
26 EVERY TIME I GET AROUND YOU - David Lee Murphy - MCA
27 WALKIN" AWAY - Diamond Rio - Arista
28 HEART'S DESIRE - Lee Roy Parnell - Career
29 I'LL TRY - Alan Jackson - Arista
30 GUYS DO IT ALL THE TIME - Mindy McCready - BNA
31 WILD ANGELS - Martina McBride - RCA
32 LEARNING AS YOU GO - Rick Trevino - Columbia
33 IF YOU LOVED ME - Tracy Lawrence - Atlantic
34 DON'T GET ME STARTED - Rhett Akins - Decca
35 THAT'S WHAT I GET FOR LOVIN" YOU - Diamond Rio - Arista
36 I DON'T THINK I WILL - James Bonamy - Epic
37 ME AND YOU - Kenny Chesney - BNA
38 THE BEACHES OF CHEYENNE - Garth Brooks - Capitol Nashville
39 I AM THAT MAN - Brooks & Dunn - Arista
40 LONG AS I LIVE - John Michael Montgomery - Atlantic
41 IT'S WHAT I DO - Billy Dean - Capitol Nashville
42 IT WOULDN'T HURT TO HAVE WINGS - Mark Chesnutt - Decca
43 I KNOW SHE STILL LOVES ME - George Strait - MCA
44 THEN YOU CAN TELL ME GOODBYE - Neal McCoy - Atlantic
45 IF I WERE YOU - Terri Clark - Mercury Nashville
46 ONLY ON DAYS THAT END IN Y - Clay Walker - Giant
47 COWBOY LOVE - John Michael Montgomery - Atlantic
48 NOT THAT DIFFERENT - Collin Raye - Epic
49 TREAT HER RIGHT - Sawyer Brown - Curb
50 TEN THOUSAND ANGELS - Mindy McCready - BNA
51 LIKE THE RAIN - Clint Black - RCA
52 HEADS CAROLINA, TAILS CALIFORNIA - Jo Dee Messina - Curb
53 MORE THAN YOU'LL EVER KNOW - Travis Tritt - Warner Bros.
54 TOO MUCH FUN - Daryle Singletary - Giant
55 THE ROAD YOU LEAVE BEHIND - David Lee Murphy - MCA
56 STARS OVER TEXAS - Tracy Lawrence - Atlantic
57 WORLDS APART - Vince Gill - MCA
58 MY HEART HAS A HISTORY - Paul Brandt - Reprise
59 I DO - Paul Brandt - Reprise
60 THAT GIRL'S BEEN SPYIN" ON ME - Billy Dean - Capitol Nashville
61 YOU CAN'T LOSE ME - Faith Hill - Warner Bros.
62 MEANT TO BE - Sammy Kershaw - Mercury Nashville
63 LONELY TOO LONG - Patty Loveless - Epic
64 THE MAKER SAID TAKE HER - Alabama - RCA
65 WHEN BOY MEETS GIRL - Terri Clark - Mercury Nashville
66 YOU'RE NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE - Jo Dee Messina - Curb
67 LOVE REMAINS - Collin Raye - Epic
68 ALL I WANT IS A LIFE - Tim McGraw - Curb
69 WHAT DO I KNOW - Ricochet - Columbia
70 RUNNIN" AWAY WITH MY HEART - Lonestar - BNA
71 THE RIVER AND THE HIGHWAY - Pam Tillis - Arista
72 NOT ENOUGH HOURS IN THE NIGHT - Doug Supernaw - Giant
73 LIKE THERE AIN'T NO YESTERDAY - Blackhawk - Arista
74 CAN'T BE REALLY GONE - Tim McGraw - Curb
75 A WOMAN'S TOUCH - Toby Keith - Mercury Nashville

Copyright 1996, Billboard/BPI Communications, Inc.

Ron Krause

Dec 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/21/96

gen...@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>Hot Country Singles & Tracks (Year End Charts - December 28, 1996)

>Pos. TITLE - Artist - Label
> 1 MY MARIA - Brooks & Dunn - Arista
> 2 BLUE CLEAR SKY - George Strait - MCA

> 73 LIKE THERE AIN'T NO YESTERDAY - Blackhawk - Arista
> 74 CAN'T BE REALLY GONE - Tim McGraw - Curb
> 75 A WOMAN'S TOUCH - Toby Keith - Mercury Nashville

>Copyright 1996, Billboard/BPI Communications, Inc.

68 of 75. Now I know I have to buy some more music before December
31st!

Thanks Geno. I was anxiously awaiting this list.

Ron
Countr...@pipeline.com
ro...@pipeline.com
rkr...@dlj.com
+++++ Country Music Is Really Back - Y107 New Country 107.1 FM +++++
+++++ That's My Story And I'm Stickin' To It! +++++

Jim Davis

Dec 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/22/96

gen...@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>Hot Country Singles & Tracks (Year End Charts - December 28, 1996)
>
>Pos. TITLE - Artist - Label
> 1 MY MARIA - Brooks & Dunn - Arista

> - - - - - (snipped)

I lost my faith in Billboard''s integrity quite some time ago. This
list only reinforces my conclusions. If you noticed, Le Ann Rimes'
"Blue" never even made the list. Regardless of how much the industry
respects Billboard, their efforts to effect the trade rather than
reflect it should be obvious.

Carey

Dec 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/22/96

I agree. David Kersh also failed to make the list. I personally like
Brooks and Dunn, but men's voices are not supposed to go as high as they
do on this song, not to mention the fact that it was over-played!

> ji...@wwdg.com (Jim Davis) wrote in article
<32bf9f84...@news.earthlink.net>...

bo...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Dec 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/24/96

: "Blue" never even made the list. Regardless of how much the industry

: respects Billboard, their efforts to effect the trade rather than
: reflect it should be obvious.

The list is based on airplay. "Blue" only made it to number ten on
Billboard and usually a song that made it to number ten hasn't received
quite enough airplay to be in the year-end survey.

[ Scott in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada ]
E-Mail: bo...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca | if E-Mail bounces re-send the E-Mail
homepage: http://www.freenet.edmonton.ab.ca/~bots/

bo...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Dec 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/24/96

: I agree. David Kersh also failed to make the list. I personally like

I'll assume you are refering to "Goodnight Sweetheart" (not "Breaking
Hearts And Taking Names"). The cutoff for a song to be on that
chart is around the end of November, and with "Goodnight Sweetheart" still
moving up the charts at that time, he will likely qualify for the 1997
chart.

: Brooks and Dunn, but men's voices are not supposed to go as high as they

: do on this song, not to mention the fact that it was over-played!

That's the funniest dang thing I heard all this month -- the chart is
based on airplay...

PaulB98037

Dec 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/24/96

>I lost my faith in Billboard''s integrity quite some time ago. This
list only reinforces my conclusions. If you noticed, Le Ann Rimes'
"Blue" never even made the list. Regardless of how much the industry
respects Billboard, their efforts to effect the trade rather than
reflect it should be obvious.

Blue never got above 10 in the Billboard Hot Country Singoles & Tracks
charts cause it burnt out pretty quick....probably cause of the yodeling.
It was number one for weeks and weeks on the Billboard Singles
charts.....but that's not a very big part of the market. Maybe you've
been reading the wrong Billboard chart.
Paul Bottoms

DennisOK

Dec 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/24/96

Actually, 'Blue' spent many weeks at number one on the
Country single SALES charts, not airplay. The year end
Top 75 is based on radio airplay. Actually, the cassette/CD
single of Blue was the number one country single SALES
song of the year on Billboard.

Sincerely,
Dennis

Jim Davis

Dec 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/24/96

paulb...@aol.com (PaulB98037) wrote:

I could try arguing my case, but I've already made my claims, simply
and honestly. If you prefer to believe Billboard reflects the trade
rather than control it, continue on in your delusions. Personally, I
consider Billboard's efforts to show a picture of the how they want
things to be, to be one of the primary reasons for the sorry state of
country music today.

busga...@aol.com

Dec 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/25/96

In article <19961224175...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
denn...@aol.com (DennisOK) writes:

>Actually, the cassette/CD
>single of Blue was the number one country single SALES
>song of the year on Billboard.

How many of the people that bought it requested it on radio ? Not anyone
who has to sit through the usuel country jiberish

Is there room in this country bus for my 2 cents from centrel pa ?
"BUS"

Shadetree9

Dec 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/30/96

How did like the rain end up at 51. It was number one for at least a
month>

DennisOK

Dec 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/31/96

'Like The Rain' by Clint Black was released pretty late in the year. The
1996 Billboard year-end charts cut off on November 30th so that's why it
ONLY
ranked 51st for the year.

Sincerely,
Dennis

Brian Rathjen

Jan 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/2/97
to shade...@aol.com

The writer asks why Clint Black's number one hit, "Like the Rain" ended
up at number 51 in Billboard's year-end rankings.

The songs are ranked according to points earned during its chart stay.
Each rank in the weekly charts is assigned a value, with number one
being worth 75 points, number two being 74 points, and so on down to
number 75 (worth 1 point).

The longer a song stays on the chart, the more points it is likely to
accumulate. Some songs are immediate hits, meaning they climb up the
charts quickly and fall just as fast. If anyone remembers back to 1981,
the Oak Ridge Boys' number-one hit "Elvira" was one such memorable
case--climbing up the charts in record time, then falling just as fast;
the song was in the 50s when it came time to rank 1981's biggest hits
That was also apparently the case with "Like the Rain"; the song took
only a short time to climb to number one, and despite its three-week
stay at number one, it fell very quickly from the charts.

Thus, 50 other songs were ranked ahead of "Like the Rain." I disagree
too with its year-end ranking assigned by Billboard. Remember that I
rated the song the FOURTH biggest of 1996, and Bob Kingsley's American
Country Countdown--which also uses Billboard's chart, ironically
enough--ranked the song THIRD for all of 1996.

But that's the way these rankings work sometimes. Also, I noticed that
some songs later in November were not ranked by Billboard (or Bob
Kingsley) for 1996 at all, such as Deana Carter's "Strawberry Wine"
(which I ranked at number 13 for the year). That's because of press
deadlines, which require the year end rankings to include songs only
through mid-November. Things must work out best this way, though for
awhile, Bob Kingsley (at least) ranked songs on his year-end show
through the first part of December (using Billboard's charts).

Hope this answers all questions as to why your favorite song(s) may have
been ranked they way they were, or why they weren't on there at all.

BTW--later today, I hope to have up MY revised list of the Top 111 songs
of 1996 (from the previous 50, which was posted on December 20), plus a
revised list of top news stories in country music for 1996.

SuzanneKMc

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

Could someone re-post the top 75? I must have missed it. If not, at
least the top 5.

Thanks.

Brandon Wiesner

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97
to SuzanneKMc

Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks

(Year End Charts - December 28, 1996)

Pos. TITLE - Artist - Label
1 MY MARIA - Brooks & Dunn - Arista

2 BLUE CLEAR SKY - George Strait - MCA

73 LIKE THERE AIN'T NO YESTERDAY - Blackhawk - Arista
74 CAN'T BE REALLY GONE - Tim McGraw - Curb
75 A WOMAN'S TOUCH - Toby Keith - Mercury Nashville

Copyright 1996, Billboard/BPI Communications, Inc.

PlanetGarth
The Unofficial Internet Site of Garth Brooks
http://www.roughstock.com/planetgarth