Tower Records : Sale

ba...@venus.ycc.yale.edu

Aug 10, 1992, 2:47:33 PM8/10/92
hi,
could someone in the new york area please post
on this net te next time there is a storewide sale at
Tower records?
there are a few of us here at yale who will be interested in
driving down to NY but would like to do so if there is a sale!
thank you
naren
p.s. can also e-mail: ba...@venus.yc.yale.edu

Gavin Ramsay

Aug 10, 1992, 7:42:04 PM8/10/92

don't know about the US, but in London they are offering 4pound off any Decca, DG or Phillips recordings, including multi sets.
gavin ramsay

Charles Packer

Aug 11, 1992, 7:44:00 AM8/11/92
In article <1992Aug10...@venus.ycc.yale.edu>, ba...@venus.ycc.yale.edu writes...

>could someone in the new york area please post
>on this net te next time there is a storewide sale at
>Tower records?

I think Tower has the same sale at every store at any given time.
(See the followup about the Polygram/Decca same in Britain, same
as the Polygram/Mercury sale in the U.S. this past week).

Frank Hamilton @ Salomon Brothers Inc., NY

Aug 13, 1992, 4:36:41 PM8/13/92

Why don't you just shop at J&R Music World on Park Row southeast of the
City Hall 4/5/6 subway stop? Their prices are as much as 2 - 4+ dollars
cheaper per disc than Tower. Tower is the most expensive place in
Manhattan to shop after the Metropolitan Opera Guild shops. Their sales
only bring their prices down to other stores' regular price. And J&R
has sales too!!! J&R has almost as good a stock as Tower. J&R has all
the imported small European labels usually in stock. The only things I
go to Tower for are the Japanese imports and the Annex both at the
Village Tower only, and to window-shop. Although I must admit that I
think both Tower and HMV order from Allegro Imports more often.

I am just a consumer and have no affiliation with any retailer other
than the massive amounts of opera I purchase there :-)

Frank Hamilton
f...@pivot.sbi.com
~

Rob Holzel

Aug 14, 1992, 3:02:33 PM8/14/92
>there are a few of us here at yale who will be interested in
>driving down to NY but would like to do so if there is a sale!

Well, suppose I was to tell you the Tower in Boston is the
biggest record store in the world? And suppose I was also to
mention that in Harvard Square are several stores competing in
the classical market, including Tower and HMV (another superstore)
as well as a local chain called Newbury Comics, where Polygram,
CBS, and BMI recordings are usually priced between $9.99 and
$11.99 almost any day you pick?

Competition in the Boston market is intense. You and your friends
should consider a trip to Cambridge and downtown Boston -- then
hit the several *used* CD stores in the area as well. The
classical department in the NYC city Tower is about half that
of the one in Boston, plus if I remember correctly, you have to
go to another address altogether to look at clearance CDs and
cutouts.

Rob

Steve Apter

Aug 14, 1992, 5:38:43 PM8/14/92

:

> The
>classical department in the NYC city Tower is about half that
>of the one in Boston,

Yes, but we have *two*, so ...

> plus if I remember correctly, you have to
>go to another address altogether to look at clearance CDs and
>cutouts.

Yes, and that 25 yard stretch along 4th street is considered
one of the most dangerous locations in the world, not excepting
Tehran or Baghdad.

>Rob

OK, I'm convinced. I'll start shopping there immediately.

--------

Robert Krawitz

Aug 15, 1992, 1:16:44 PM8/15/92
In article <1992Aug14....@fid.morgan.com> st...@fid.morgan.com (Steve Apter) writes:

> The
>classical department in the NYC city Tower is about half that
>of the one in Boston,

Yes, but we have *two*, so ...

We have two here, too, conveniently located within walking distance
(when I want a fairly long walk). They're both conveniently located
near Looney Tunes (which also has two places), so I can conveniently
check for a used copy first. Granted, Looney Tunes doesn't know that
much about classical CD's (sometimes I see budget CD's priced higher
than they are elsewhere), but I've found some interesting bargains there
(and there's lots of interesting vinyl there, too).

Harvard Square has at least four major dealers of new CD's (Tower, HMV,
the Coop, and Strawberries, although it's tough to count the Coop since
they're so much more expensive), and at least three used dealers I can
think of (Looney Tunes, Second Coming, and Mystery Train, plus other
hole in the wall type places). There are other places that sell CD's,
such as Briggs & Briggs. There's probably also a Newbury Comics nearby
(at worst, take a trip down the street to the *real* school in
Cambridge, namely MIT), and then go across the river to Tower and the
other Looney Tunes.

Personally I can't understand why Tower bothered to open the Harvard
Square store -- they're on Mt. Auburn St. in what must be an
exorbitantly expensive building, in what must be one of the most
competitive markets for recorded music in the world. The Harvard Square
store isn't as good as HMV, although HMV isn't nearly as good as the
Tower on Newbury St.
--
ames >>>>>>>>> | Robert Krawitz <r...@think.com> 245 First St.
bloom-beacon > |think!rlk Cambridge, MA 02142

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- write lea...@prep.ai.mit.edu

Bob Kosovsky

Aug 16, 1992, 6:22:04 PM8/16/92
In article <11AUG199...@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov>, pac...@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Charles Packer) writes:
>In article <1992Aug10...@venus.ycc.yale.edu>, ba...@venus.ycc.yale.edu writes...
>>could someone in the new york area please post
>>on this net te next time there is a storewide sale at Tower records?

Forget Tower -- Record Hunter has an all-label, all-category sale for 2
weeks (until Aug 29). Imported CDs are down to $13.97. Unfortunately
they have a $50 minimum for mail-order. You can call them at
(212) 697-8970.

Bob Kosovsky
Graduate Center -- Ph.D. Program in Music(student)/ City University of New York
New York Public Library -- Music Division
bitnet: k...@cunyvms1.bitnet internet: k...@cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu
Disclaimer: My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions.

Rob Holzel

Aug 17, 1992, 2:47:42 PM8/17/92

I wrote:

>>If I remember correctly, you have to

>>go to another address altogether to look at clearance CDs and
>>cutouts.

Steve Apter of Moron Stanley & Co. replied:

>Yes, and that 25 yard stretch along 4th street is considered
>one of the most dangerous locations in the world, not excepting
>Tehran or Baghdad.

Hey, a count against it is a count against it.

>>classical department in the NYC city Tower is about half that
>>of the one in Boston,

>Yes, but we have *two*, so ...

Well, for that matter, so do we. So what's the point? Mine was
that the general price wars in Boston actually make it a better CD
market than NYC overall. A friend of mine just got the Goreki Third
for $8.99.

>OK, I'm convinced. I'll start shopping there immediately.

Don't do me any favors, putz.