Re: Knoxville Summer of 1915

Jay Kauffman

Apr 7, 2008, 11:38:20 AM4/7/08
On Apr 7, 7:23 am, REG <fromlovewith...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 6, 6:01 pm, "REG" <Richer...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of any non-American artist who's sung or recorded this?
>
> > I sometimes think Barber is 'our' R V-W, but maybe his (Barber's)
> > achievement was more limited to pieces with smaller forces because sometimes
> > to me the actual content doesn't really survive being spread over larger
> > canvanses, but Knoxville works for me, certainly with large thanks to Mr.
> > Agee, but I'm not sure what life, if any, it's had outside of this country.
>
> Although not Knoxville, I have located a few selections of Cheryl
> Studer singing Samuel Barber in recital in Belgium (in English).
> Lovely and heartfelt.
> Here:  http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cheryl+studer+samuel+barb...

REG, thanks so much for alerting us to these Samuel Barber
selections. I have never heard these songs sung better. Studer is
simply heartrending in them. So excited about the discovery that I am
reposting the link: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cheryl+studer+samuel+barber+scalatti&search_type=

Ray Johnstone

Apr 7, 2008, 11:49:42 AM4/7/08

There is a great recording with an Australian soloist. Will get you
the info tomorrow.
r...@iinet.com.au
www.iinet.com.au/~ray

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Apr 7, 2008, 3:39:49 PM4/7/08

Jay Kauffman wrote:
> On Apr 7, 7:23 am, REG <fromlovewith...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 6, 6:01 pm, "REG" <Richer...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of any non-American artist who's sung or recorded this?
>>> I sometimes think Barber is 'our' R V-W, but maybe his (Barber's)
>>> achievement was more limited to pieces with smaller forces because sometimes
>>> to me the actual content doesn't really survive being spread over larger
>>> canvanses, but Knoxville works for me, certainly with large thanks to Mr.
>>> Agee, but I'm not sure what life, if any, it's had outside of this country.
>> Although not Knoxville, I have located a few selections of Cheryl
>> Studer singing Samuel Barber in recital in Belgium (in English).
>> Lovely and heartfelt.

Her name may be anathema to some of the posters here, but when did
Cheryl Studer become a "non-American artist"?

boombox

Apr 7, 2008, 4:15:23 PM4/7/08

Jay Kauffman wrote:
> On Apr 7, 7:23�am, REG <fromlovewith...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Apr 6, 6:01�pm, "REG" <Richer...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know of any non-American artist who's sung or recorded this?

Offhand, I can only think of Jill Gomez, a Brit, who did a version
with Richard Hickox, and Karina Gauvin, a Canadian who recently
recorded one with Marin Alsop.

boombox

Apr 7, 2008, 4:24:00 PM4/7/08

Two more, Measha Brueggergosman, Canadian and Molly McGurk, Aussie.

Jon Alan Conrad

Apr 7, 2008, 5:42:42 PM4/7/08
It doesn't respond to the original question, but may I take the
liberty of pointing out a fine Barber song recital by Canadian
baritone Gerald Finley on Hyperion (including "Dover Beach").

If they should ever decide to make a companion CD with soprano in
other Barber songs and vocal works, I can imagine Felicity Lott
floating through "Knoxville"'s lines to delicious effect, nearly 40
years into her career. I wonder if she's ever performed it. (She did
include a couple of Barber songs on her "Summertime" CD.)

JAC

La Donna Mobile

Apr 7, 2008, 6:23:10 PM4/7/08
On Apr 7, 2:42 pm, Jon Alan Conrad <con...@udel.edu> wrote:
> It doesn't respond to the original question, but may I take the
> liberty of pointing out a fine Barber song recital by Canadian
> baritone Gerald Finley on Hyperion (including "Dover Beach").

Finley's account is nowhere close, on so many levels, to the classic
set for DGG by Studer, Hampson, Browning and the Emerson. I repeat,
nowhere close.

> If they should ever decide to make a companion CD with soprano in
> other Barber songs and vocal works, I can imagine Felicity Lott
> floating through "Knoxville"'s lines to delicious effect, nearly 40
> years into her career.

Yes, if you want grandma's interpretation.

Matthew B. Tepper

Apr 7, 2008, 7:43:48 PM4/7/08
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" <evg...@earthlink.net> appears to have
caused the following letters to be typed in

> Jay Kauffman wrote:

>>> Although not Knoxville, I have located a few selections of [redacted]

>>> singing Samuel Barber in recital in Belgium (in English).
>>> Lovely and heartfelt.
>
> Her name may be anathema to some of the posters here, but when did

> [redacted] become a "non-American artist"?

When she had that fiasco in Spain a few years ago, and was thus revealed
forevermore to be an unreliable and inadequate artist.

(Naturally, I don't mean this, but this is EXACTLY the sort of stuff that
Pinheid used against any artist who dared to challenge his beloved diva for
superiority in the opera world.)

War is Peace. ** Freedom is Slavery. ** It's all Napster's fault!

La Donna Mobile

Apr 8, 2008, 3:16:31 AM4/8/08

StuderTroll wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2:42 pm, Jon Alan Conrad <con...@udel.edu> wrote:
>> It doesn't respond to the original question, but may I take the
>> liberty of pointing out a fine Barber song recital by Canadian
>> baritone Gerald Finley on Hyperion (including "Dover Beach").
>
> Finley's account is nowhere close, on so many levels, to the classic
> set for DGG by Studer, Hampson, Browning and the Emerson. I repeat,
> nowhere close.

Ha ha ha ha, the idea that I could ever rank Thomas Hampson above Gerald
Finley is so ludicrous as to be incredible