The real Hatto

makropulos

Feb 17, 2007, 4:57:34 PM2/17/07
I posted this in an earlier thred, but it might be useful to do so
again. Here are the genuine Hatto concert dates in London that i have
been able to find, all from the monthly concert listings in The
Musical Times. These are usually quite
comprehensive and reliable in terms of which events took place when
(though they don't, sadly, give programmes for piano recitals).

Thus what emerges is a rather odd profile - a total of 13 solo
concerts
(all between 1971 and 1976, two concerto appearances (the first two
events listed, in 1955 and 1959) and several concerts by "The Pupils
of Joyce Hatto", which I've just put in for the sake of completeness,
all between 1968 and 1970.

15 September 1955, Wigmore Hall. Review: "The programme included two
new works for piano and orchestra, an Introduction and Allegro by
Michael Maxwell and the Third Piano Conceto (op.71) of Gaze Cooper, in
both of which the soloist was Joyce Hatto."

9 December 1958, Morley College Symphony Orchestra, conducted by
Malcolm Arnold. Review: "An attractive piano concerto movement which
is attributed to Beethoven was competently played by Joyce Hatto, who
also did everything that could be done for Liszt's Totentanz."

3 March 1968, Purcell Room, 'JOYCE HATTO PUPILS' CONCERT'

20 October 1968, Purcell Room, 'JOYCE HATTO PUPILS' CONCERT'

24 November 1968, Purcell Room, 'JOYCE HATTO PUPILS' CONCERT'

13 April 1969, Purcell Room, 'JOYCE HATTO PUPILS' CONCERT', Mozart,
Bach, Beethoven, Schumann, Satie, Alabiev/Liszt, Liszt
8 June 1969, Purcell Room, 'JOYCE HATTO PUPILS' CONCERT

7 December 1969, Purcell Room, 'PUPILS OF JOYCE HATTO', works by
Chopin

22 February 1970, Purcell Room, 'PUPILS OF JOYCE HATTO', Lizst,
Bellini, Beethoven

21 October 1971, Queen Elizabeth Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Chopin

3 June 1972, Wigmore Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Liszt

26 October 1972, Wigmore Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Liszt

11 January 1973, Queen Elizabeth Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Chopin

28 June 1973, Wigmore Hall, JOYCE HATTO, 'The Unknown Chopin'

25 October 1973, Wigmore Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Liszt

10 January 1974, Queen Elizabeth Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Liszt

27 March 1975, Queen Elizabeth Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Chopin (at least one
work claimed as a first performance in London)

4 September 1975, Wigmore Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Rubinstein/Liszt, Saint-
Saëns/Liszt, Liszt

2 October 1975, Wigmore Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Beethoven/Liszt

19 December 1975, Wigmore Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Liszt

26 Feb 1976, Queen Elizabeth Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Gluck/Alkan, Mozart,
Schubert, Schumann, Chopin, Verdi/Liszt

7 July 1976, Wigmore Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Beethoven/Alkan, Beethoven/
Liszt

Alan Cooper

Feb 17, 2007, 5:34:24 PM2/17/07
"makropulos" <makro...@gmail.com> wrote in news:1171749454.229232.5000
@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

> I posted this in an earlier thred, but it might be useful to do so
> again. Here are the genuine Hatto concert dates in London that i have
> been able to find, all from the monthly concert listings in The
> Musical Times. These are usually quite
> comprehensive and reliable in terms of which events took place when
> (though they don't, sadly, give programmes for piano recitals).

Thanks. I've been wondering if *any* of Hatto's discography might be authentic, and if so,
which particular recordings. Does the preponderance of Chopin, Liszt, and Liszt
transcriptions in her recitals suggest that at least some of the CA recordings of that
repertoire might be genuine (the Transcendentals excepted, of course)? I still like "her"
Chopin Waltzes, no matter who is playing them :-)

AC

Andrej Kluge

Feb 17, 2007, 5:41:46 PM2/17/07

Alan Cooper schrieb:

> course)? I still like "her" Chopin Waltzes, no matter who is playing
> them :-)

Kocsis, on the long OOp Philips disk?

Ciao
A.

Steve Emerson

Feb 17, 2007, 8:02:54 PM2/17/07
In article <53pelbF...@mid.individual.net>,
"Andrej Kluge" <kl...@wizzy.de> wrote:

That would have taken some nerve! But then, they had that. Seems to me
there are other competent, much lower-profile sets they could have used,
like the studio account by S. Bunin, or the Alexeev set.

FWIW, here's the iTunes breakout of the Kocsis set (I also have the
other 2).

Valse n° 1 in E flat "Grande valse brillante" Op. 18, B. 62 4:57 Kocsis
Z. Chopin:Valses avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n° 2 in A flat "Valse brillante" Op. 34/1, B. 94 5:03 Kocsis Z.
Chopin:Valses avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n° 3 in A minor, Op. 34/2, B.64 5:32 Kocsis Z. Chopin:Valses
avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n° 4 in F "Valse brillante" Op. 34/3, B.118 2:12 Kocsis Z.
Chopin:Valses avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n° 5 in A flat "Grande valse" Op. 42, B.131 3:32 Kocsis Z.
Chopin:Valses avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n° 6 in D flat, "Minute" Waltz, Op. 64/1, B. 164 1:36 Kocsis Z.
Chopin:Valses avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n° 7 in C sharp minor, Op. 64/2, B. 164 3:02 Kocsis Z.
Chopin:Valses avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n° 8 in A flat, O[. 64/3, B. 164 2:43 Kocsis Z. Chopin:Valses
avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n° 9 in A flat, "L'Adieu", Op., 69/1, B. 95 3:33 Kocsis Z.
Chopin:Valses avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n°10 B minor, Op. 69/2, B. 35 2:55 Kocsis Z. Chopin:Valses avec
Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n°11 in G flat, Op. 70/1, B. 92 1:40 Kocsis Z. Chopin:Valses
avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n°12 in F minor-A flat, Op. 70/2, B. 138 1:34 Kocsis Z.
Chopin:Valses avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n°13 in D flat, Op. 70/3, B. 40 2:33 Kocsis Z. Chopin:Valses
avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n°16 in A flat,, Op. posth., B. 21 1:12 Kocsis Z.
Chopin:Valses avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n°15 in E, Op. posth., B. 44 2:01 Kocsis Z. Chopin:Valses avec
Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n°14 in E minor, Op. posth., B. 56 2:52 Kocsis Z.
Chopin:Valses avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n°19 in A minor, Op. posth., B. 56 1:45 Kocsis Z.
Chopin:Valses avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n°18 in E flat, Op. posthl, B. 133 1:13 Kocsis Z.
Chopin:Valses avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical
Valse n°17 in E flat, Op posth., B. 46 2:43 Kocsis Z. Chopin:Valses
avec Zoltan Kocsis Classical

Note the unusual ordering of the posthumous waltzes.

SE.

Alan Cooper

Feb 18, 2007, 7:59:37 AM2/18/07
Steve Emerson <eme...@nospamsonic.net> wrote in

Thanks, Steve. The "Hatto" performances are cooler and more relaxed than Kocsis' (also
more to my taste, frankly). Timings are slower in every case, but they don't sound
artificially altered to me (then again, would I be able to tell?). Also, "Hatto" includes
the (spurious?) #20 (f#m, op. post.).

AC

Andrew Taylor

Feb 20, 2007, 7:04:00 PM2/20/07
On 17 Feb, 21:57, "makropulos" <makropu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I posted this in an earlier thred, but it might be useful to do so
> again. Here are the genuineHattoconcert dates in London that i have

> been able to find, all from the monthly concert listings in The
> Musical Times. These are usually quite
> comprehensive and reliable in terms of which events took place when
> (though they don't, sadly, give programmes for piano recitals).
>
> Thus what emerges is a rather odd profile - a total of 13 solo
> concerts
> (all between 1971 and 1976, two concerto appearances (the first two
> events listed, in 1955 and 1959) and several concerts by "The Pupils
> ofJoyceHatto", which I've just put in for the sake of completeness,

> all between 1968 and 1970.
>
> 15 September 1955, Wigmore Hall. Review: "The programme included two
> new works for piano and orchestra, an Introduction and Allegro by
> Michael Maxwell and the Third Piano Conceto (op.71) of Gaze Cooper, in
> both of which the soloist wasJoyceHatto."
>
> 9 December 1958, Morley College Symphony Orchestra, conducted by
> Malcolm Arnold. Review: "An attractive piano concerto movement which
> is attributed to Beethoven was competently played byJoyceHatto, who

> also did everything that could be done for Liszt's Totentanz."
>
> 3 March 1968, Purcell Room, 'JOYCEHATTOPUPILS' CONCERT'
>
> 20 October 1968, Purcell Room, 'JOYCEHATTOPUPILS' CONCERT'
>
> 24 November 1968, Purcell Room, 'JOYCEHATTOPUPILS' CONCERT'
>
> 13 April 1969, Purcell Room, 'JOYCEHATTOPUPILS' CONCERT', Mozart,

> Bach, Beethoven, Schumann, Satie, Alabiev/Liszt, Liszt
> 8 June 1969, Purcell Room, 'JOYCEHATTOPUPILS' CONCERT
>
> 7 December 1969, Purcell Room, 'PUPILS OFJOYCEHATTO', works by
> Chopin
>
> 22 February 1970, Purcell Room, 'PUPILS OFJOYCEHATTO', Lizst,
> Bellini, Beethoven
>
> 21 October 1971, Queen Elizabeth Hall,JOYCEHATTO, Chopin
>
> 3 June 1972, Wigmore Hall,JOYCEHATTO, Liszt
>
> 26 October 1972, Wigmore Hall,JOYCEHATTO, Liszt
>
> 11 January 1973, Queen Elizabeth Hall,JOYCEHATTO, Chopin
>
> 28 June 1973, Wigmore Hall,JOYCEHATTO, 'The Unknown Chopin'
>
> 25 October 1973, Wigmore Hall,JOYCEHATTO, Liszt
>
> 10 January 1974, Queen Elizabeth Hall,JOYCEHATTO, Liszt
>
> 27 March 1975, Queen Elizabeth Hall,JOYCEHATTO, Chopin (at least one

> work claimed as a first performance in London)
>
> 4 September 1975, Wigmore Hall,JOYCEHATTO, Rubinstein/Liszt, Saint-
> Saëns/Liszt, Liszt
>
> 2 October 1975, Wigmore Hall,JOYCEHATTO, Beethoven/Liszt
>
> 19 December 1975, Wigmore Hall,JOYCEHATTO, Liszt
>
> 26 Feb 1976, Queen Elizabeth Hall,JOYCEHATTO, Gluck/Alkan, Mozart,

> Schubert, Schumann, Chopin, Verdi/Liszt
>
> 7 July 1976, Wigmore Hall,JOYCEHATTO, Beethoven/Alkan, Beethoven/
> Liszt

I saw a recital by Joyce Hatto at the QEH - out of this list I think
it must
have been the one on 21 October 1971. I'd never heard of her before,
nor
I think since, until now, but the concert has always stuck in my mind
as having been really quite bad. I can't remember many details, but
my memory is of playing that was both full of fluffed passages, and
also insensitive and heavy-handed. I think she even stopped
half way through one piece (possible a Ballade or Scherzo) and
announced "I can't play this [whatever it was]". She may also
have been having problems with slippery fingers from sweating.

Message has been deleted