Prokofiev piano sonatas

kc

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
I have his transcription album, his technik is good but not that astonishing.
It's apparent
in his Schulz-Evler Arabesque. But I'm quite interested in listening a bit more
to him.
Anyone heard his Chopin Op.10?

kc

oppont wrote:

> Heard Chiu play sonatas #3 and #6 in Paris --- I thought his interpretations
> were beautifully 'modern' and a-national in the sense of avoiding the
> bombastic overtly Russian style versus the streamlined, cosmopolitan
> approach. His technique was astonishing --- completely fluent , virtually
> effortless. Am very happy with the Harmonia Mundi integrale.
>
> Bevan Davies <bevan...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Not a word about Frederic Chiu. Just curious as to why you don't mention
> > him.

Andy Evans

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
Time for a periodic browse through the field.
Ovchinnikov - This is a really excellent set. Good tempos throughout, like
Richter and Gilels, and unlike the infuriatingly variable Pletnev. Clean
technique, good attack and really funky rhythms.
Richter - Beyond criticism
Gould - His 7th is so like Richter it's spooky. Adoration? Imprinting?
Anyway, it's very good.
Gilels - Good but not great 2nd (Richter is terrific here). Very satisfying
8th, though not better than Richter or Ovchinnikov.
Nikolayeva - 8th rather serious and rigid.
Pletnev - From magic to the bizarre. 2nd is good. 7th suffers from some
lethargic tempos. 8th has the most slinky, Hollywood exposition of the slow
movement theme on disc. Pure magic. Then just when you want him to rip into
the final movement he gets all deliberate again. What can one say...
Graffman - Enjoy his 2nd. A good Prokofiev pianist
Pollini - Very good 7th
Kissin - Enjoy his 6th
Pogorelic - Prefer his 6th on record. In the concert hall he can get very
dreamy and un-worldly.

--
Andy Evans, e-mail: an...@artsandmedia.com
Visit our Website: www.artsandmedia.com

Bevan Davies

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
Not a word about Frederic Chiu. Just curious as to why you don't mention
him.

Bevan Davies

"Andy Evans" <arts.ps...@cwcom.net> wrote in message

oppont

Ehrlich606

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00

You forgot a terrific 8 with Berman and a 6 with -- Van Cliburn!

news.sonic.net

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
I've heard all of the recordings you mention with the exception of
Nikolayeva's eighth. I tend to evaluate Prokofiev performances in terms of
individual movements, and in some cases, individual movements.

For a 7th that is even more intense than Pollini (if you can believe it),
Petrov will knock your socks off. A truly psychotic vision - at least the
first two movements. Unfortunately, this Melodya LP has never been
transferred to CD AFAIK and this Holy Grail is extremely difficult to find.

Gilels is overpowering in the first movement of the eighth. No one
expresses the wretched ironies with such anguish and bitterness as he does.

Richter's 6th sonata is sometimes as volatile as Petrov's 7th.

One performance which shouldn't be missed, but only for an isolated section
of greatness, is Gavrilov's playing of the opening bars of the 3rd movement
of the 7th sonata. Calculating and relentless, he witholds a terrible
power, and this power *held in check* is terrifying to behold and will
induce panic in the listener. Beware! Now you will know what it is like to
be frozen in the approach of an oncoming tank.

Another isolated movement: Lavar Berman's live recital, 3rd movement of the
8th sonata. Hair-raising performance. Gavrilov is even faster, but there
is no tension, no agitation, and therefore no excitement.

-Max

Bevan Davies

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
THE most electrifying performance of the 7th piano sonata that I've heard
was played last weekend at Carnegie, by Martha Argerich. I don't know if
I'd care to listen to it every day, but it was just a monster of romantic
interpretation.

Bevan Davies

"news.sonic.net" <schm...@sonic.net> wrote in message

Bevan Davies

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
I've been listening to Chiu's playing all week, and it seems to get more
interesting on each hearing. I think the complete set of Prokofiev's piano
music on HM is a great addition to any library.

Bevan Davies

"oppont" <almac...@home.com> wrote in message

Andrys D Basten

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
In article <c21F4.2482$is2.2...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

Bevan Davies <bevan...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>THE most electrifying performance of the 7th piano sonata that I've heard
>was played last weekend at Carnegie, by Martha Argerich. I don't know if
>I'd care to listen to it every day, but it was just a monster of romantic
>interpretation.

I don't know that I'd care to listen to anything every day :)

I have heard several of her 7ths in old live concerts and have
never been knocked out by any of them but it took me some time
to recuperate from the one last Saturday and I'm not sure I
have.

Extremely gripping, while often very ethereal and internal.
I've just never heard a rendition that made so much sense in the
first two movements, so that the return to the basic 2nd
movement theme that ordinarily annoys me was magical, like a
wistful but deep memory revisited.

I didn't hear the chord clusters as banged and dissonant but
as parts of chordal melodies under which several other melodies
were competing, all resolving appropriately. The last section
of that 2nd movement I never expect to hear done that well again
as it seemed almost superhuman. An incredibly intense
performance beautifully structured.

- A

--
Andrys Basten, CNE http://www.andrys.com/ PC Network Support
http://www.andrys.com/indox.html - Machu Picchu PhotoDiary w/Canon Elph

Steve Emerson

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
Thanks for the rundown, Andy. Another to consider is Zhukov, who does a
wonderful No. 9 on Live Classics. This is one of the ones where his name
is spelled Shukov. He does No. 2 on another Live Classics, which I
haven't heard.

SE.

Daniel Hobbs

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
In article <N6ZE4.78$qI2....@typhoon.sonic.net>,
news.sonic.net <schm...@sonic.net> wrote:

snip snip

I have Yakov Kasman on Calliope, and I like it a lot.

Also, although it only has the 5th sonata, I highly recommend
the all Prokofiev disk by Yekaterina Ervy-Novitskaya, a
volume in the BMG Russian Piano School series. It's
available at under $7 at Amazon, and very gutsy Prokofiev.
Includes Sarcasm, Visions Fugitives, and some other stuff.

Dan

Sudhir Kadkade

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
Alan Cooper wrote in message <8c2mbh$nd1$1...@slb6.atl.mindspring.net>...
>Back to the Prokofiev Sonatas, I'm glad that someone mentioned Berman's
8th.
>Another great recording is Koroliov's 5th (Tacet), c/w wonderful Visions
>fugitives.

One recording of the 5th I like a lot is by Katya Novitskaya on
BMG-Melodiya.
It was a part of the Russian Piano School series. The CD also includes
Sarcasms, Visions Fugitives and transcriptions from Romeo & Juliet.

Regards,
Sudhir

Alan Cooper

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
"Bevan Davies" <bevan...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Not a word about Frederic Chiu. Just curious as to why you don't mention
> him.

I recently heard Chiu give an astonishing performance of the First Violin
Sonata with Joshua Bell.

Back to the Prokofiev Sonatas, I'm glad that someone mentioned Berman's 8th.
Another great recording is Koroliov's 5th (Tacet), c/w wonderful Visions
fugitives.

AC

schi...@lightlink.com

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
Recordings I like, myself-
Donohoe in 6
Glemser in 2, 7 and 8

MacLachlan (yes) in 1, 4 (beautiful, beautiful piece- Robinson is imho
wrong to dismiss it), 5 (almost as good), 9 (another winner) and a fragment
of 10 (all there is of it, or is there another recording with more of
the sketch- I forget)
-Eric Schissel

aso

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
Berman's 8th never made it to CD, did it (also the Scriabin 3rd)?

Ehrlich606

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
In article <TDbF4.12884$Y4.2...@news1.rdc1.il.home.com>, "aso"
<ays...@merle.acns.nwu.edu> writes:

>Berman's 8th never made it to CD, did it (also the Scriabin 3rd)?

May be you're thinking of Gould, whose Proko #7 went with Scriabin #3 (both
excellent performances and liner notes almost as good.) Berman's #8 on DG was
coupled with Rach Moments Musicaux.

Brian Cantin

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
"oppont" <almac...@home.com> writes:

> Heard Chiu play sonatas #3 and #6 in Paris --- I thought his interpretations
> were beautifully 'modern' and a-national in the sense of avoiding the
> bombastic overtly Russian style versus the streamlined, cosmopolitan
> approach. His technique was astonishing --- completely fluent , virtually
> effortless. Am very happy with the Harmonia Mundi integrale.
>

> Bevan Davies <bevan...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Not a word about Frederic Chiu. Just curious as to why you don't mention
> > him.

I have the Chiu set and enjoy it quite a bit. However, the Chiu is
the only set I have or have heard, so I have no opinion on how the
Chiu set compares to any other. In the more popular sonatas, Chiu
compares favorably with Richter, Gilels, and Glemser.

--
Brian Cantin
An advocate of poisonous individualism.

Brian Cantin

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
schi...@lightlink.com writes:

Second the recommendation for Glemser. I was listening to Glemser
in my office when my boss walked in. He exclaimed, "That rocks!".
A perceptive observation. Glemser is one of the best of the
percusive school of Prokofiev piano playing.

Neil

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 00:44:35 GMT, "aso" <ays...@merle.acns.nwu.edu> wrote:

>Berman's 8th never made it to CD, did it (also the Scriabin 3rd)?

Alas not - nor is towering performance of Scriabin #1 .

Sokolov's 8th on op 111 is a fine, typically deep and thougtful performance
which I've warmed to over the years. He plays the 7th in recital and there is a
recording on Melodya but its very illusive. If anyone stumbles across a tape of
Sokolov's 7th, grab it !

Garvrilov plays the 8th very well too.

Neil

rkha...@adnc.com

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
In article <8c36os$t3o$1...@slb6.atl.mindspring.net>,

"Sudhir Kadkade" <Sudhir_...@SiFR.com> wrote:
> Alan Cooper wrote in message <8c2mbh$nd1$1...@slb6.atl.mindspring.net>...
> >Back to the Prokofiev Sonatas, I'm glad that someone mentioned
Berman's
> 8th.
> >Another great recording is Koroliov's 5th (Tacet), c/w wonderful
Visions
> >fugitives.
>
> One recording of the 5th I like a lot is by Katya Novitskaya on
> BMG-Melodiya.
> It was a part of the Russian Piano School series. The CD also includes
> Sarcasms, Visions Fugitives and transcriptions from Romeo & Juliet.

Yes, yes, yes! I wonder what became of her! This is a fantastic
recording, as fresh as Prokofiev is ever likely to sound.

I love Pollini's 7th, but lately I have grown to like his antidote:
Gavrilov's recording (coupled with his recordings of Prokofiev's 3rd and
8th sonatas) on DG Galleria. This is worth investigating if you rebel
against the super-virtuosic approach to this music.

RK

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wayne Reimer

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
Folks, anyone who really is interested in the Prokofiev sonatas must get
the Matti Raekallio recordings on Ondine. In particular, I'd recommend
his version to those who like Chiu, but I doubt that anyone at all who
admires Prokofiev would regret the purchase. He projects a clarity of
vision in this music that is unique, and he has the chops to bring it
off. It's simply amazing and far too few people who are interested in
this music know these recordings. So, do yourself a favor and get
them. Be prepared to be stunned.

If you want to try just one CD instead of the set, I'd say get the one
with 4,5, and 6.

wr

Jon Bell

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
In article <38E5BB6C...@hooked.net>,

Wayne Reimer <rei...@hooked.net> wrote:
>Folks, anyone who really is interested in the Prokofiev sonatas must get
>the Matti Raekallio recordings on Ondine.

I have those myself, and I like them (partly because of the rich sound),
but I don't have any other versions to compare them to except for the ones
in the Richter "Great Pianists of the Century" volumes.

Ondine has just reissued them in a two-disc set, or is about to do so.

--
Jon Bell <jtb...@presby.edu> Presbyterian College
[ Questions about newsgroups? Ask in news:news.newusers.questions ]

pga...@my-deja.com

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
A set that no one ever mentions is Barbara Nissman's cycle on Newport
Classics -- probably no longer available. I've always enjoyed it,
perhaps because it was my first purchase of these sonatas, so
I "imprinted" with it. Also, the engineering on the set is very fine.

Anyone else familiar with this integrale?

pgaron

schi...@lightlink.com

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
While I have not heard Barbara Nissman's Prokofiev sonata integral,
(except perhaps for the later version of the 5th, on the radio, once,
and I'm not sure about that), I do remember seeing it on tape in stores
more than once. I would hope it is still around.
-Eric Schissel

rkha...@adnc.com

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
In article <38e67...@news2.lightlink.com>,

I have Nissman's Prokofiev sonata cycle and like it, though not in
preference to Richter, Gilels, Pollini, Pogorelich and others. One
curious thing about Nissman's release is that her third volume includes,
in addition to the Ninth sonata, a 43-second fragment from Sonata No.
10, Op. 137. I didn't even know this existed. Does anyone know the
status of what Prokofiev left behind of this sonata? Is this all there
is?

RK

Ferd Op de Coul

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
Undoubtly the most exciting - since Richter - album of Prokofiev piano sonates
is in my view, on Ondine: "Complete Piano Sonatas/Visions Fugitives", played by
the Finnish pianist Matti Raekallio. Absolutely amazing and fascinating! Listen
to one of Finland's foremost pianists and you will be amazed completely!

Ferd Op de Coul
f.opd...@chello.nl

Sudhir Kadkade

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
rkha...@adnc.com wrote in message <8c4e49$vto$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>In article <8c36os$t3o$1...@slb6.atl.mindspring.net>,
>"Sudhir Kadkade" <Sudhir_...@SiFR.com> wrote:
>> Alan Cooper wrote in message <8c2mbh$nd1$1...@slb6.atl.mindspring.net>...
>> >Back to the Prokofiev Sonatas, I'm glad that someone mentioned
>Berman's
>> 8th.
>> >Another great recording is Koroliov's 5th (Tacet), c/w wonderful
>Visions
>> >fugitives.
>>
>> One recording of the 5th I like a lot is by Katya Novitskaya on
>> BMG-Melodiya.
>> It was a part of the Russian Piano School series. The CD also includes
>> Sarcasms, Visions Fugitives and transcriptions from Romeo & Juliet.
>
>Yes, yes, yes! I wonder what became of her! This is a fantastic
>recording, as fresh as Prokofiev is ever likely to sound.

In the liner notes to her Russian Piano School CD, it says she
dropped out to get married to some one in Belgium (IIRC), and
now she is a teacher there.

Regards,
Sudhir

Eric Schissel

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
As to the 10th sonata in Nissman's recording, there's a fragment of it in
MacLachlan's set too, but Prokofiev did not leave more than what they
play. (Actually I think one of them plays more than the other, possibly
using as a cue the fact that a theme is the same as that in one of
Prokofiev's sonatines and hence quoting it in full? Or perhaps I'm just
thinking of the fact that MacLachlan adds- debatably :(- to the finale of
Miaskovski's 5th sonata a recapitulation of the 2nd subject... I'm very
hard on Fellegi for similar, though in .his. case unannounced, major
surgery on a piece (Medtner op. 39/5).) I feel hypocritical...
-Eric Schissel

--
http://www.lightlink.com/schissel ICQ#7279016
standard disclaimer