Hatto Godosky Chopoin Etudes - a much more elaborate deception revealed

Andrew Rose

Feb 26, 2007, 1:30:43 AM2/26/07
26.2.07: Intensive audio detective work unmasks a complex deception on
Track 4.

I'm grateful here to Peter Harrison at disk2disc - a regular colleague
of mine and good friend - for spending the time needed to crack a major
mystery: the fourth track on CD1. Pianist Carlo Grante was convinced it
was taken from his Altarus CD, but I simply couldn't get the two
recordings to match in the way the others had.

What Peter discovered, however, was that this recording had undergone
multiple time tampering in a manner not yet detected on any other
'Hatto' recording, and did indeed come from Grante's Altarus CD. In an
e-mail to Carlo he wrote the following, which I've tested independently
and confirm to be the case:

"The 'Hatto' Godowsky Etude No 4. is definitely from your Altarus
CD. What 'someone' did to it was: (1) Take the first 1'13" and speed it
up by 114.3%; (2) take the remainder except for the last chord and speed
it up by 127.55% (!!!); (3) take the last chord and slow it down by 50%
- that is, make it last twice as long on the fake as on the original
(!!!!); (4) as usual add reverb, fiddle with levels, and so on. The
result, as you might expect, is a grotesque parody of your original
recording."

The implications of this discovery are alarming - it is much, much
harder to detect this degree of time doctoring. If this is repeated
throughout the 'Hatto' CDs there may be a number of recordings which go
undetected as a result.

--
Andrew Rose - Pristine Classical

The online home of Classical Music: www.pristineclassical.com

Andrew Rose

Feb 26, 2007, 2:22:15 AM2/26/07
And the final piece of the puzzle fits into place - as track 14 of
'Hatto' is also revealed as Hobson, a recording I'd missed thanks to the
poor annotation of emusic's track listing.

Thus the Godowsky Chopin Studies CD1 is as follows:

1 - Hobson, Arabesque CD
2 - Grante, Altarus CD
3 - Hamelin, Hyperion CD
4 - Grante, Altarus CD
5 - Grante, Altarus CD
6 - Grante, Altarus CD
7 - Grante, Altarus CD
8 - Grante, Altarus CD
9 - Grante, Altarus CD
10 - Grante, Altarus CD
11 - Grante, Altarus CD
12 - Grante, Altarus CD
13 - Grante, Altarus CD
14 - Hobson, Arabesque CD
15 - Hamelin, Hyperion CD
16 - Grante, Altarus CD
17 - Hamelin, Hyperion CD
18 - Grante, Altarus CD
19 - Hamelin, Hyperion CD
20 - Hamelin, Hyperion CD
21 - Hamelin, Hyperion CD
22 - Grante, Altarus CD
23 - Grante, Altarus CD
24 - Hamelin, Hyperion CD
25 - Hamelin, Hyperion CD
26 - Hamelin, Hyperion CD
27 - Hamelin, Hyperion CD

CD2 to follow in due course.

dk

Feb 26, 2007, 2:48:53 AM2/26/07

Great work, Holmes! ;-)

The Deacon's exquisite ears did not notice ?!?!?

dk

tomdeacon

Feb 26, 2007, 5:01:06 AM2/26/07

Caveat emptor.

I should NEVER have bought that new super-duper set from you, Koren.
Turns out it sucks. Big-time.

TD

Sam

Feb 26, 2007, 7:47:22 AM2/26/07
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 07:30:43 +0100, Andrew Rose
<and...@pristineaudio.com> wrote:

>I'm grateful here to Peter Harrison at disk2disc - a regular colleague
>of mine and good friend - for spending the time needed to crack a major
>mystery: the fourth track on CD1. Pianist Carlo Grante was convinced it
>was taken from his Altarus CD, but I simply couldn't get the two
>recordings to match in the way the others had.
>
>What Peter discovered, however, was that this recording had undergone
>multiple time tampering in a manner not yet detected on any other
>'Hatto' recording, and did indeed come from Grante's Altarus CD. In an
>e-mail to Carlo he wrote the following, which I've tested independently
>and confirm to be the case:
>
>"The 'Hatto' Godowsky Etude No 4. is definitely from your Altarus
>CD. What 'someone' did to it was: (1) Take the first 1'13" and speed it
>up by 114.3%; (2) take the remainder except for the last chord and speed
>it up by 127.55% (!!!); (3) take the last chord and slow it down by 50%
>- that is, make it last twice as long on the fake as on the original
>(!!!!); (4) as usual add reverb, fiddle with levels, and so on. The
>result, as you might expect, is a grotesque parody of your original
>recording."
>
>The implications of this discovery are alarming - it is much, much
>harder to detect this degree of time doctoring. If this is repeated
>throughout the 'Hatto' CDs there may be a number of recordings which go
>undetected as a result.

I am wondering, is it possible to change a Rubinstein into a Horowitz
performance by doctoring? If you testify in court on this, a lawyer
may pull that on you.

Andrew Rose

Feb 26, 2007, 8:57:04 AM2/26/07
Sam wrote:

> I am wondering, is it possible to change a Rubinstein into a Horowitz
> performance by doctoring? If you testify in court on this, a lawyer
> may pull that on you.

I know of no way of doing that.

Danny Goodman

Feb 26, 2007, 1:23:57 PM2/26/07
in article 45e28aa8$0$25948$ba4a...@news.orange.fr, Andrew Rose at
and...@pristineaudio.com wrote on 2/25/07 11:22 PM:

> Thus the Godowsky Chopin Studies CD1 is as follows:

This gives way to our hallowed reviewers to assert something like the
following:

"Hatto plays these terrifyingly difficult finger twisters with
what could best be described as an eclectic style."

Danny
http://www.dannyg.com
http://www.spamwars.com

Message has been deleted

Peter Lemken

Feb 26, 2007, 6:00:45 PM2/26/07
Chel van Gennip <ch...@vangennip.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 07:30:43 +0100, Andrew Rose wrote:
>
>> The implications of this discovery are alarming - it is much, much
>> harder to detect this degree of time doctoring. If this is repeated
>> throughout the 'Hatto' CDs there may be a number of recordings which go
>> undetected as a result.
>
> I think you need some kind of fingerprinting technique for the piano. A
> piano has about 250 strings. No two pianos have exactly the same tuning
> for all strings. If you can determine the exact tuning of pianos from the
> recording you can easily find identical recordings. Timeshifting as we
> have seen now has no effect on tuning.

For the father of a pianist, writing about piano stuff, you seem to be rather
clueless about piano stuff.

Peter Lemken
Berlin

--