Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Kerrison

Apr 28, 2010, 2:52:27 AM4/28/10
OK guys, for a bit of fun come up with a list of works inspired by or
about Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I'll kick you off with Villa-
Lobos's 'Little Train of the Caipira,' Honegger's 'Pacific 231,'
Walton's 'Spitfire' Prelude and Fugue, and Vaughan Williams's 'A
Vision of Aeroplanes'. I assume John Adams' 'Short Ride in a Fast
Machine' is about a car but please add your own titles.

GP49

Apr 28, 2010, 3:30:26 AM4/28/10
Trains: Hilding Rosenberg's Railway Fugue, Aloïs Pachernegg's Unter
Dampf, Ibert's Suite Symphonic, "Le Metro", Reich's Different Trains

Airplanes: George Antheil's Airplane Sonata (1921), Marc Blitzstein's
"Airborne Symphony", Grofe's Aviation Suite, Dello Joio's Air Power
Suite, Barber's "Night Flight"

Cars: Gershwin's American in Paris (the taxi horns), Frederick
Converse's "Flivver Ten Million"

I cheated:

http://www.classicalmusicguide.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32113

GP49

Apr 28, 2010, 3:30:46 AM4/28/10

Robert Marshall

Apr 28, 2010, 3:37:43 AM4/28/10

Weill's The Lindberg flight

Poulenc's Promenades (10 different transportation methods including 'a
Pied' but there is also a train, plane and automobile and bicycle)

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/

Christopher Howell

Apr 28, 2010, 5:39:50 AM4/28/10
On 28 Apr, 09:37, Robert Marshall <s...@chezmarshall.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

"Aeroplanes and Trains" by Harold Craxton (2 educational piano pieces)
"The Train" op.119/4, partsong for SATB by Stanford (great fun,
actually)

Nearer the beaten track, there's a piano piece by Rossini about a
train journey, complete with crash, I forget the exact title
Wasn't Sibelius's Nightride and Sunrise inspired by a train journey?

Chris Howell

EG

Apr 28, 2010, 8:03:46 AM4/28/10

I hope this will not cause a flood of too many proposals,
but I propose to add to the list all classical music
inspired by or about the internet and mobile phones.

The Historian

Apr 28, 2010, 8:49:13 AM4/28/10

Add in "train" polkas by J. Strauss and Lumbye.

Allen

Apr 28, 2010, 9:24:29 AM4/28/10
Leo Ornstein--Suicide in an Airplane.
Allen

Gerard

Apr 28, 2010, 9:54:02 AM4/28/10
Christopher Howell wrote:

> Wasn't Sibelius's Nightride and Sunrise inspired by a train journey?
>
> Chris Howell

More likely by a sledge drawn by a horse.

Matthew B. Tepper

Apr 28, 2010, 10:25:21 AM4/28/10
Kerrison <kerrison1...@yahoo.co.uk> appears to have caused the
following letters to be typed in news:8cd20ca6-fafa-405c-9665-
438efa...@y30g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

A whole lot of choo-choo works here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000INAXOM

Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers

number_six

Apr 28, 2010, 10:26:27 AM4/28/10

Weill - Train to Johannesburg from Lost in the Stars

Tijuana Brass - The Brass are Comin' is based on the Villa-Lobos
Little Train

Eldon Rathburn - Mostly Railroad Music

David Oberman

Apr 28, 2010, 10:29:31 AM4/28/10

From the Not Quite, But Kinda files:

Previn's "A Streetcar Named Desire"

"Opferlied" Op. 121b (a riff on themes in the Benedictus of the Missa
Solemnis)

Kip Williams

Apr 28, 2010, 10:51:28 AM4/28/10

Isn't Walton's "Coronation Scot" about a train? (Ah. Yes, it is. Thanks,
Google! It's actually about a high-speed train run.)

Kip W

Message has been deleted

Daniel ONeill

Apr 28, 2010, 11:49:10 AM4/28/10
Kip Williams <k...@rochester.rr.com> wrote in news:QXXBn.75129$iu2.14915
@newsfe15.iad:

I think that "Puffin' Billy" by Edward White (which was used as the
"Captain Kangaroo" theme and, I believe, as the theme for a BBC show) was
about a steam locomotive. It shows up on various Light Classics
compilations.

--- d.o.

Message has been deleted

Robert Marshall

Apr 28, 2010, 12:16:47 PM4/28/10

And that reminds me - Britten's Night Mail

Kerrison

Apr 28, 2010, 12:33:16 PM4/28/10

Tut tut, Kip .. "Coronation Scot" is by Vivian Ellis, not William
Walton .. You Tube reveals everything you ever wanted to know about
anything ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwab4b7_7qA

And while we're at it, Richard Rodney Bennett's music for "Murder on
the Orient Express" is on You Tube too ... of which Bernard Herrmann
once said "How the hell could the guy have written a waltz for that
train? It was an instrument of death!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-F2weX-ZKI

Kip Williams

Apr 28, 2010, 1:16:42 PM4/28/10
Kerrison wrote:
> On Apr 28, 3:51 pm, Kip Williams<k...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
>> Kerrison wrote:
>>> OK guys, for a bit of fun come up with a list of works inspired by or
>>> about Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I'll kick you off with Villa-
>>> Lobos's 'Little Train of the Caipira,' Honegger's 'Pacific 231,'
>>> Walton's 'Spitfire' Prelude and Fugue, and Vaughan Williams's 'A
>>> Vision of Aeroplanes'. I assume John Adams' 'Short Ride in a Fast
>>> Machine' is about a car but please add your own titles.
>>
>> Isn't Walton's "Coronation Scot" about a train? (Ah. Yes, it is. Thanks,
>> Google! It's actually about a high-speed train run.)
>
> Tut tut, Kip .. "Coronation Scot" is by Vivian Ellis, not William
> Walton .. You Tube reveals everything you ever wanted to know about
> anything ...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwab4b7_7qA

My face, it is red. I could have just looked at it in iTunes, but when
we're sure we're right, there's no need to verify, right? Heh.

I could have looked at the same Google page where I looked it up to see
if it was based on a train. Only then I might well have said it was "by
Ernest Tomlinson," unless I'd clicked the link and gone past that
attribution to where Amazon's details disambiguate composer from conductor.

Kip W

Kip Williams

Apr 28, 2010, 1:11:47 PM4/28/10
Daniel ONeill wrote:
> Kip Williams<k...@rochester.rr.com> wrote in news:QXXBn.75129$iu2.14915
> @newsfe15.iad:
>
>> Kerrison wrote:
>>> OK guys, for a bit of fun come up with a list of works inspired by or
>>> about Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I'll kick you off with Villa-
>>> Lobos's 'Little Train of the Caipira,' Honegger's 'Pacific 231,'
>>> Walton's 'Spitfire' Prelude and Fugue, and Vaughan Williams's 'A
>>> Vision of Aeroplanes'. I assume John Adams' 'Short Ride in a Fast
>>> Machine' is about a car but please add your own titles.
>>
>> Isn't Walton's "Coronation Scot" about a train? (Ah. Yes, it is. Thanks,
>> Google! It's actually about a high-speed train run.)
>
> I think that "Puffin' Billy" by Edward White (which was used as the
> "Captain Kangaroo" theme and, I believe, as the theme for a BBC show) was
> about a steam locomotive. It shows up on various Light Classics
> compilations.

You're right! For some reason, I keep making that into a boat in my
mind. It's even on the same disk (for me, and I bought it partly for
Puffin' Billy) as the Walton.

To quote the Scarecros, I should have thought of it with my brain.

Kip W

Bob Lombard

Apr 28, 2010, 1:36:48 PM4/28/10
On 4/28/2010 1:16 PM, Kip Williams wrote:

> I could have looked at the same Google page where I looked it up to see
> if it was based on a train. Only then I might well have said it was "by
> Ernest Tomlinson," unless I'd clicked the link and gone past that
> attribution to where Amazon's details disambiguate composer from conductor.

Disambiguate! What a powerful verb, for a process so seldom employed.

bl

--
Music, books, a few movies
LombardMusic

Apr 28, 2010, 1:40:25 PM4/28/10

I don't remember the name of the piece, but the CSO commissioned (I
believe) a woman composer to create a piece about the train that goes
around Ravinia. The RI philharmonic played it here a season or two ago.

-Owen

Apr 28, 2010, 2:03:52 PM4/28/10
In article <Rm_Bn.66962$ot7....@en-nntp-16.dc1.easynews.com>, Bob
Lombard <thorste...@vermontel.net> wrote:

> On 4/28/2010 1:16 PM, Kip Williams wrote:
>

> > I could have looked at the same Google page where I looked it up to see
> > if it was based on a train. Only then I might well have said it was "by
> > Ernest Tomlinson," unless I'd clicked the link and gone past that
> > attribution to where Amazon's details disambiguate composer from conductor.
> >

> Disambiguate! What a powerful verb, for a process so seldom employed.

Stan Kelly-Bootle, in his "Computer Contradictionary" often used it in
a manner like this:

AI n. 1. A cry of pain. 2. A three-toed, trumpet-tree-chewing sloth
that squeals when disturbed. 3. Overloaded abbrev. Artificial
Insemination; ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE; Amnesty International. Warning:
Often resists contextual disambiguation.

-Owen

Bob Lombard

Apr 28, 2010, 2:13:47 PM4/28/10

Many nouns share that attribute; political speeches rely on that
resistance.

Arthur Shapiro

Apr 28, 2010, 2:24:57 PM4/28/10
In article <8cd20ca6-fafa-405c...@y30g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, Kerrison <kerrison1...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>OK guys, for a bit of fun come up with a list of works inspired by or
>about Planes, Trains and Automobiles

At the risk of being booed, I encountered a piece by Takemitsu: Quatrain; A
Flock Descends Into the Pentagonal Garden. That's a very specialized train.

As an aside, the title movie of this thread was the last one I saw in a movie
theater, back in 1988.

Art

Dontait...@aol.com

Apr 28, 2010, 2:33:44 PM4/28/10

Airplanes: "Skyward" by Nathaniel Shilkret. It's about US Navy
Commander Robert Byrd (of South Pole fame) and three flyers connected
with him. Flying over the Pole, I assume. Circa 1929, when Shilkret
recorded it for Victor.

Automobiles, in a way: "Sunday Traffic" from one of Copland's late
'30s/early '40s orchestral suites (I can't remember which; someone
will). There is also an orchestral suite by Pizzini, the last movement
of which is about Fiat. There's a Naxos CD of him conducting his
music, which I had two days ago and now cannot find. So I have no more
details.

Yes, Adams' "Short Ride in a Fast Machine" is indeed about a car. It
used to be programmed so often on WFMT that this announcer remembers
the composer's description almost verbatim from reading it over and
over on the air: "Imagine that someone asks you to take a ride in his
new sports car -- and then you wish you hadn't."

Don Tait

Matthew�B.�Tepper

Apr 28, 2010, 3:04:59 PM4/28/10
Has anybody mentioned Richard Strauss' "Aus italien"? The last movement
quotes Luigi Denza's "Funicul�, Funicul�," which was written to celebrate the
funicular (hence the title) at Mount Vesuvius. Evidently Strauss somehow got
it into his head that it was a folk song, and therefore public domain.
Denza's lawyers persuaded him otherwise.

Dontait...@aol.com

Apr 28, 2010, 3:11:30 PM4/28/10

I don't remember the name of the piece either, unfortunately, but
the trains that run past Ravinia and stop there are notorious. (The
place began in the early 1900s as a park served by railroads and was
begun by them; it was another of their money-making ideas.) Sir Thomas
Beecham's remark is famous in Chicago: "Ravinia is the only railway
station with its own symphony orchestra."

Don Tait

Rugby

Apr 28, 2010, 3:49:33 PM4/28/10
On Apr 28, 1:52 am, Kerrison <kerrison126-spar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> OK guys, for a bit of fun come up with a list of works inspired by or
> about P

Deshov, "Rails" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyb3Wvdn6as

Rugby

Apr 28, 2010, 4:17:04 PM4/28/10
In article
<f1f447ea-c685-400e...@d39g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
<Dontait...@aol.com> wrote:

The piece is by Jennifer Higdon, and is named "Loco." It's actually a
wonderful piece, and a severe test for an orchestra to play.

-Owen, who spent a bit of time finding that out. :-)

three-eyed freak

Apr 28, 2010, 4:38:15 PM4/28/10
Martinu wrote a short orchestral piece about, I believe, the P-38
Thunderbolt fighter plane used in WWII.

Dontait...@aol.com

Apr 28, 2010, 4:55:41 PM4/28/10
On Apr 28, 3:17�pm, O <ow...@denofinequityx.com> wrote:
> In article
> <f1f447ea-c685-400e-a799-b8e920ddf...@d39g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,

Yes, that's it, I'm sure. Thanks for your work and time.

Don Tait

Message has been deleted

Allen

Apr 28, 2010, 5:06:00 PM4/28/10
Kerrison wrote:
> OK guys, for a bit of fun come up with a list of works inspired by or
> about Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I'll kick you off with Villa-
> Lobos's 'Little Train of the Caipira,' Honegger's 'Pacific 231,'
> Walton's 'Spitfire' Prelude and Fugue, and Vaughan Williams's 'A
> Vision of Aeroplanes'. I assume John Adams' 'Short Ride in a Fast
> Machine' is about a car but please add your own titles.
Another one--Revueltas: Ferrocarriles de Baja California (reworked as
Musica para charlar). Actually, as with many of Revueltas's works--a
film score originally.
Allen

Bob Lombard

Apr 28, 2010, 5:06:05 PM4/28/10
On 4/28/2010 4:38 PM, three-eyed freak wrote:
> Martinu wrote a short orchestral piece about, I believe, the P-38
> Thunderbolt fighter plane used in WWII.

P-38 'Thunderbolt'. That doesn't seem right. Unfortunately, I don't
remember the name that would 'sound right'.

Apr 28, 2010, 5:11:35 PM4/28/10
In article <0r1Cn.598363$FK3.2...@en-nntp-06.dc1.easynews.com>, Bob
Lombard <thorste...@vermontel.net> wrote:

> On 4/28/2010 4:38 PM, three-eyed freak wrote:
> > Martinu wrote a short orchestral piece about, I believe, the P-38
> > Thunderbolt fighter plane used in WWII.
> >

> P-38 'Thunderbolt'. That doesn't seem right. Unfortunately, I don't
> remember the name that would 'sound right'.

You're correct. The P-38 was the "Lightning," but the P-47 was the
"Thunderbolt."

There's images of both at:

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/Chino2004/Sampler/index.
html

No music there, though!

-Owen

Message has been deleted

Gerard

Apr 28, 2010, 5:21:16 PM4/28/10
Kerrison wrote:
> OK guys, for a bit of fun come up with a list of works inspired by or
> about Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I'll kick you off with Villa-
> Lobos's 'Little Train of the Caipira,' Honegger's 'Pacific 231,'
> Walton's 'Spitfire' Prelude and Fugue, and Vaughan Williams's 'A
> Vision of Aeroplanes'. I assume John Adams' 'Short Ride in a Fast
> Machine' is about a car but please add your own titles.

Berlioz: Chant des chemins de fer.

David Oberman

Apr 28, 2010, 5:47:48 PM4/28/10
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:33:44 -0700 (PDT), Dontait...@aol.com
wrote:

> Yes, Adams' "Short Ride in a Fast Machine" is indeed about a car.

And isn't his "Shaker Loops" about a devoutly religious Protestant who
serves martinis aboard the Twentieth Century?

Bob Lombard

Apr 28, 2010, 5:53:25 PM4/28/10

I remember studying photos of those planes during the war or shortly
after, and being happy to recognize the significant difference - in
photos - between the P-38 and the fighter bomber called the Black
Shadow. I also recall descriptions of the strategy P-38 patrols used
to combat the Zero. The P-38 could fly higher, so they did. When Zeros
were spotted, The P-38s dived through their formation in attack, then
skedaddled to regain that altitude. The Zero had a severe maneuvering
advantage in a dogfight.

Gerard

Apr 28, 2010, 5:53:50 PM4/28/10

Strau�: Eisenbahn-lust-Walzer.
Strau�: Vergn�gungszug.
Fahrbach: Locomotiv-Galopp.
Lumbye: Kj�benhavns Jernbane-Damp-Galop.
Gungl: Eisenbahn-Dampf-Galopp.
Meyer: Jernv�gs-Galopp.
Hoyer: Jernban-Galopp.
Schaeffer: �tude aux chemins de fer.

Kip Williams

Apr 28, 2010, 6:22:05 PM4/28/10
Kip Williams wrote:

> To quote the Scarecros, I should have thought of it with my brain.

And I should have typed it with my fingers.

(In my defense, the type I preview in makes it harder to spot errors for
some reason. Maybe it's time I changed that.)

Xip VV

Russ (not Martha)

Apr 28, 2010, 6:43:54 PM4/28/10
On Apr 28, 1:52 am, Kerrison <kerrison126-spar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> OK guys, for a bit of fun come up with a list of works inspired by or
> about Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I'll kick you off with Villa-
> Lobos's 'Little Train of the Caipira,' Honegger's 'Pacific 231,'
> Walton's 'Spitfire' Prelude and Fugue, and Vaughan Williams's 'A
> Vision of Aeroplanes'. I assume John Adams' 'Short Ride in a Fast
> Machine' is about a car but please add your own titles.

Anyone mention the train in Prokofiev's 'Winter Bonfire' ?

Russ (not Martha)

Kerrison

Apr 28, 2010, 6:45:46 PM4/28/10
On Apr 28, 10:53 pm, "Gerard" <ghen_nospam_driksenþ@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Kerrison wrote:
> > OK guys, for a bit of fun come up with a list of works inspired by or
> > about Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I'll kick you off with Villa-
> > Lobos's 'Little Train of the Caipira,' Honegger's 'Pacific 231,'
> > Walton's 'Spitfire' Prelude and Fugue, and Vaughan Williams's 'A
> > Vision of Aeroplanes'. I assume John Adams' 'Short Ride in a Fast
> > Machine' is about a car but please add your own titles.
>
> Strauß: Eisenbahn-lust-Walzer.
> Strauß: Vergnügungszug.
> Fahrbach: Locomotiv-Galopp.
> Lumbye: Kjøbenhavns Jernbane-Damp-Galop.
> Gungl: Eisenbahn-Dampf-Galopp.
> Meyer: Jernvägs-Galopp.
> Hoyer: Jernban-Galopp.
> Schaeffer: Étude aux chemins de fer.

That reminds me that Eduard Strauss's "Bahn Frei!" ("Clear the
track!") Polka was recorded on 78s by Leinsdorf, Sargent and Arthur
Fiedler.

Bob Harper

Apr 28, 2010, 7:32:28 PM4/28/10
Whaddays mean, *around*? *Through* is more like it. I remember attending
many concerts there when I lived in WI, and none failed to be
interrupted at some point by the sound of that train. Oh, they cut the
engine as they got close, so it wasn't as loud as it could have been,
but it was still there.

Bob Harper

Ward Hardman

Apr 28, 2010, 7:35:17 PM4/28/10
On Apr 27, 11:52 pm, Kerrison <kerrison126-spar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> OK guys, for a bit of fun come up with a list of works inspired by or
> about Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I'll kick you off with Villa-
> Lobos's 'Little Train of the Caipira,' Honegger's 'Pacific 231,'
> Walton's 'Spitfire' Prelude and Fugue, and Vaughan Williams's 'A
> Vision of Aeroplanes'. I assume John Adams' 'Short Ride in a Fast
> Machine' is about a car but please add your own titles.

How about Martinu's "Le train hante"?

A piece involving an early flying machine manufactured by Daedalus
Aircraft, is Markevitch's "Le envoi d'Icare" ("The fall of Icarus").

In Richard Rodger's "Victory at Sea," volume 3, "The Turkey Shoot" is
about an air battle in which 402 Japanese planes were shot down
(according to the album notes), during the Battle of the Phillippine
Sea. The RCA recording includes the sounds of the US aircraft engines
at this point.

--Ward Hardman

"The older I get, the more I admire and crave competence,
just simple competence, in any field from adultery to zoology."
- H.L. Mencken

Bob Harper

Apr 28, 2010, 7:37:30 PM4/28/10
Has anyone mentioned the second movement of Samuel Barber's Second
Symphony: 'Night Flight'?

Bob Harper

number_six

Apr 28, 2010, 8:44:40 PM4/28/10
On Apr 28, 1:53 pm, Bob Lombard <thorsteinnos...@vermontel.net> wrote:
> On 4/28/2010 5:11 PM, O wrote:
>

> > In article<0r1Cn.598363$FK3.244...@en-nntp-06.dc1.easynews.com>, Bob
> > Lombard<thorsteinnos...@vermontel.net>  wrote:
> LombardMusichttp://www.amazon.com/shops/A3NRY9P3TNNXNA- Hide quoted text -

It was a P-38 that shot down Admiral Yamamoto's plane, somewhere in
the Solomons.

number_six

Apr 28, 2010, 9:05:23 PM4/28/10
On Apr 28, 10:24 am, art.shap...@unisys.com (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:

> In article <8cd20ca6-fafa-405c-9665-438efad58...@y30g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, Kerrison <kerrison126-spar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >OK guys, for a bit of fun come up with a list of works inspired by or
> >about Planes, Trains and Automobiles
>
> At the risk of being booed, I encountered a piece by Takemitsu: Quatrain; A
> Flock Descends Into the Pentagonal Garden.  That's a very specialized train.
>
> As an aside, the title movie of this thread was the last one I saw in a movie
> theater, back in 1988.
>
> Art

On first hearing it many years ago, I thought this Takemitsu work was
remarkably ugly, but over time my opinion of it changed and it
appealed to me much more.

TareeDawg

Apr 28, 2010, 9:32:18 PM4/28/10
Gerard wrote:
> Christopher Howell wrote:
>
>> Wasn't Sibelius's Nightride and Sunrise inspired by a train journey?
>>
>> Chris Howell
>
> More likely by a sledge drawn by a horse.

Do bumblebees count?

Ray Hall, Taree

John Wiser

Apr 28, 2010, 9:46:42 PM4/28/10
Not above six, when they run out of legs.
--
John Wiser
Jicotea Used Books

Apr 28, 2010, 10:48:55 PM4/28/10
In article <hA3Cn.598370$FK3.4...@en-nntp-06.dc1.easynews.com>, Bob
Harper <bob.h...@comcast.net> wrote:

I've never been to Ravinia, my description is from the pre-concert talk
by the conductor, who described it thusly.

-Owen

Sol L. Siegel

Apr 28, 2010, 11:06:36 PM4/28/10
Dontait...@aol.com wrote in news:f1f447ea-c685-400e-a799-
b8e920...@d39g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

> Sir Thomas Beecham's remark is famous in Chicago: "Ravinia is the only
> railway station with its own symphony orchestra."

Perhaps - but Boston does have a subway station called Symphony.

--
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA

The Historian

Apr 28, 2010, 11:50:32 PM4/28/10
On Apr 28, 11:39 am, Terry <b...@clown.invalid> wrote:

> And if a bicycle is permitted, ²Harold in Islington³ by Michael Thomas.

Jean Coulthard, Excursions. One movement of the suite is "Bicycle
Parade." Bonus points for George Tintner recording it.

The Historian

Apr 29, 2010, 12:10:34 AM4/29/10
On Apr 28, 11:50 pm, The Historian <neil.thehistor...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Sidney Torch, "Bicycle Belles." There's a recording on Naxos.

John Williams, film score for ET.

Matthew B. Tepper

Apr 29, 2010, 12:42:21 AM4/29/10
Kerrison <kerrison1...@yahoo.co.uk> appears to have caused the
following letters to be typed in news:8cd20ca6-fafa-405c-9665-
438efa...@y30g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

> OK guys, for a bit of fun come up with a list of works inspired by or

> about Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I'll kick you off with Villa-
> Lobos's 'Little Train of the Caipira,' Honegger's 'Pacific 231,'
> Walton's 'Spitfire' Prelude and Fugue, and Vaughan Williams's 'A
> Vision of Aeroplanes'. I assume John Adams' 'Short Ride in a Fast
> Machine' is about a car but please add your own titles.

Please correct me if somebody mentioned it and I failed to notice, but how
about Berlioz' "Chant des chemins de fer"? It appears to have been
recorded only twice, first as a hard-to-find private release in 1966, and
then again just a few years ago for an EMI set that may already be OOP:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008ODZY

I've been trying to check arkivmusic.com, but their site seems to be messed
up at the moment.

Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers

Gerard

Apr 29, 2010, 2:49:59 AM4/29/10
Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
> Kerrison <kerrison1...@yahoo.co.uk> appears to have caused the
> following letters to be typed in news:8cd20ca6-fafa-405c-9665-
> 438efa...@y30g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:
>
> > OK guys, for a bit of fun come up with a list of works inspired by
> > or about Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I'll kick you off with
> > Villa- Lobos's 'Little Train of the Caipira,' Honegger's 'Pacific
> > 231,' Walton's 'Spitfire' Prelude and Fugue, and Vaughan Williams's
> > 'A Vision of Aeroplanes'. I assume John Adams' 'Short Ride in a Fast
> > Machine' is about a car but please add your own titles.
>
> Please correct me if somebody mentioned it and I failed to notice,
> but how about Berlioz' "Chant des chemins de fer"?

It's your own choice to fail to notice.

Robert Marshall

Apr 29, 2010, 2:58:44 AM4/29/10
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Kerrison wrote:

> On Apr 28, 3:51 pm, Kip Williams <k...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

>> Kerrison wrote:
>> > OK guys, for a bit of fun come up with a list of works inspired by
>> > or about Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I'll kick you off with
>> > Villa- Lobos's 'Little Train of the Caipira,' Honegger's 'Pacific
>> > 231,' Walton's 'Spitfire' Prelude and Fugue, and Vaughan Williams's
>> > 'A Vision of Aeroplanes'. I assume John Adams' 'Short Ride in a
>> > Fast Machine' is about a car but please add your own titles.
>>

>> Isn't Walton's "Coronation Scot" about a train? (Ah. Yes, it
>> is. Thanks, Google! It's actually about a high-speed train run.)
>>
>> Kip W
>
> Tut tut, Kip .. "Coronation Scot" is by Vivian Ellis, not William
> Walton ..

And as that heads into lighter music a lot of Flanders and Swann deals
with transport - notably The Slow Train, I'm not sure that piece is at all
'light' though

Miller's Dale for Tideswell...

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/

Anonymous

Apr 29, 2010, 3:04:10 AM4/29/10
Fuck stupid troll Jan Depondt AKA Troll Gerard, Troll Dirk, etcetera.

wf

William Sommerwerck

Apr 29, 2010, 6:44:10 AM4/29/10
Though it's not classical, the Martin/Gray musical of Noel Coward's "Blithe
Spirit" has "The Bicycle Song" for Madam Aracati: "Rhythm's the thing...
Don't miss a beat. Whistle Ravel as you roll down the street."

The Historian

Apr 29, 2010, 8:26:10 AM4/29/10
On Apr 29, 6:44 am, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Though it's not classical, the Martin/Gray musical of Noel Coward's "Blithe
> Spirit" has "The Bicycle Song" for Madam Aracati: "Rhythm's the thing...
> Don't miss a beat. Whistle Ravel as you roll down the street."

Also, there's any number of songs from the first "bicycle boom" of the
1890s, such as "Daisy Bell":

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, do,
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage -
I can't afford a carriage,
But you'd look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two.

Kip Williams

Apr 29, 2010, 8:29:43 AM4/29/10
Robert Marshall wrote:

> And as that heads into lighter music a lot of Flanders and Swann deals
> with transport - notably The Slow Train, I'm not sure that piece is at all
> 'light' though

As soon as we actually set foot in movie music or popular song, this
thread will be swamped.

Kip W

Robert Marshall

Apr 29, 2010, 10:09:58 AM4/29/10
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010, The Historian wrote:

> On Apr 29, 6:44 am, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>> Though it's not classical, the Martin/Gray musical of Noel Coward's
>> "Blithe Spirit" has "The Bicycle Song" for Madam Aracati: "Rhythm's
>> the thing... Don't miss a beat. Whistle Ravel as you roll down the
>> street."
>
> Also, there's any number of songs from the first "bicycle boom" of the
> 1890s, such as "Daisy Bell":

Was there an early version of A Short Ride in a Fast Machine by
Chausson?

Robert (apologies to any relations of EC!)

Matthew B. Tepper

Apr 29, 2010, 10:26:55 AM4/29/10
Kip Williams <k...@rochester.rr.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:YYeCn.149697$gF5....@newsfe13.iad:

Clang, clang, clang.

Matthew B. Tepper

Apr 29, 2010, 10:26:56 AM4/29/10
Robert Marshall <sp...@chezmarshall.freeserve.co.uk> appears to have caused
the following letters to be typed in news:m18w86r...@capuchin.co.uk:

"No churns, no porter, no cat on a seat
At Chorlton-cum-Hardy or Chester-le-Street.
We won't be meeting again
On the slow train."

Allen

Apr 29, 2010, 11:30:13 AM4/29/10
Kerrison wrote:
> OK guys, for a bit of fun come up with a list of works inspired by or
> about Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I'll kick you off with Villa-
> Lobos's 'Little Train of the Caipira,' Honegger's 'Pacific 231,'
> Walton's 'Spitfire' Prelude and Fugue, and Vaughan Williams's 'A
> Vision of Aeroplanes'. I assume John Adams' 'Short Ride in a Fast
> Machine' is about a car but please add your own titles.
Another one. Has anyone mentioned Steve Reich's Different Trains?

David Oberman

Apr 29, 2010, 11:41:22 AM4/29/10
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:30:13 -0500, Allen <all...@austin.rr.com>
wrote:

>Another one. Has anyone mentioned Steve Reich's Different Trains?

Steve himself did!

Allen

Apr 29, 2010, 11:48:54 AM4/29/10
I didn't notice! What's his posting nym? I'd like to read what he says,
as the only American minimalist that I like.
Allen

William Sommerwerck

Apr 29, 2010, 12:12:48 PM4/29/10
> Has anyone mentioned Steve Reich's "Different Trains"?

But that's not really "about" trains.

Message has been deleted

William Sommerwerck

May 1, 2010, 6:31:15 AM5/1/10
> Frank Zappa and Steve Allen were excellent bicyclists. ;-)
> http://indianapublicmedia.org/nightlights/frank-zappa-meets-steve-allen

It's odd to hear his name pronounced "Zoppa".

There is, of course, P D Q Bach's "Concerto for Bagpipes, Bicycle, and
Balloons".

William Sommerwerck

May 1, 2010, 6:39:42 AM5/1/10

Rugby

May 1, 2010, 8:50:42 AM5/1/10
On May 1, 5:31 am, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net>
wrote:

Does John Alden Carpenter's "Adventures in a Perambulator" count ?

Rugby

Matthew B. Tepper

May 1, 2010, 12:21:36 PM5/1/10
EM <emmemmme...@gnail.com> appears to have caused the following letters
to be typed in news:4bdb7b89$0$30703$5fc...@news.tiscali.nl:

> Frank Zappa and Steve Allen were excellent bicyclists. ;-)
>
><http://indianapublicmedia.org/nightlights/frank-zappa-meets-steve-allen>
>

> EM

And yet, they're both dead; the drug-free Zappa from his chain-smoking, and
Allen from a heart-attack possibly triggered by a fender-bender.

William Sommerwerck

May 1, 2010, 1:35:38 PM5/1/10
>> Frank Zappa and Steve Allen were excellent bicyclists. ;-)
>> http://indianapublicmedia.org/nightlights/frank-zappa-meets-steve-allen

> And yet, they're both dead; the drug-free Zappa from his chain-smoking,

> and Allen from a heart-attack possibly triggered by a fender-bender.

If you go to the first of the Allen segments and scan along the bottom,
you'll find a lovely NBC interview with Zappa, who (gives the appearance of
being) one of the most sincere people you'll ever meet.

Zappa died of prostate cancer not long after this interview, which is not
generally associated with smoking.

I have one of his books -- can't think of the title -- in which he
excoriates the music industry. I'd have more of his albums if they weren't
so damned expensive.

Allen

May 1, 2010, 4:38:12 PM5/1/10
Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
> EM <emmemmme...@gnail.com> appears to have caused the following letters
> to be typed in news:4bdb7b89$0$30703$5fc...@news.tiscali.nl:
>
>> Frank Zappa and Steve Allen were excellent bicyclists. ;-)
>>
>> <http://indianapublicmedia.org/nightlights/frank-zappa-meets-steve-allen>
>>
>> EM
>
> And yet, they're both dead; the drug-free Zappa from his chain-smoking, and
> Allen from a heart-attack possibly triggered by a fender-bender.

To kick this back to the original subject--the Wright Brothers were
bicyclists and there are both dead, too.
Allen

Russ (not Martha)

May 1, 2010, 5:19:49 PM5/1/10
On Apr 30, 7:54 pm, EM <emmemmmemnmme...@gnail.com> wrote:

> Frank Zappa and Steve Allen were excellent bicyclists. ;-)

At least they were better than Ernest Chausson.

Russ (not Martha)