Leslie Howard to be jailed?

Christopher Webber

Mar 14, 2008, 7:34:09 PM3/14/08
From This Is Local London:
"Man clung on to bonnet of pianist's car"
By Court reporter

A world famous concert pianist left Croydon Crown Court in tears
yesterday after he was found guilty of injuring a motorist who had clung
on to the bonnet of his car in a road accident.

Dr Leslie Howard, 59, who was awarded the Order of Australia by the
Queen in 1999 for service to the arts, had denied a charge of causing
actual bodily harm but was found guilty by the jury.

The Australian-born genius, from Norbury Crescent, Norbury, was alleged
to have driven his Mercedes through Norbury after the accident with a
man holding precariously on to the bonnet.

He was involved in a collision with a Toyota Yaris, driven by Titilayo
Aleshe, 40, on January 18 last year at the junction of Green Lane and
Kensington Avenue, Norbury.

Mr Aleshe told the court: "I got out of my car and approached him, but
he started reversing back into Kensington Avenue. He went into gear and
came straight towards me. I fell on to the bonnet as his car hit me."

Mr Aleshe said Howard drove about 15 metres, with him still on the
bonnet, and he had a number of injuries.

He also lost his £1,000 wedding ring and a watch worth around £450 and
damaged his teeth so badly that it would cost around £200 to repair.

But Dr Howard, who has an international reputation on the classical
music scene and has recorded hundreds of CDs, claimed that Mr Aleshe had
risen his hand as if to say the matter was over so he drove off.

He said it wasn't until he reached St Peter's Church in Eaton Square,
London - where he was attending the induction of a new vicar - that he
realised his front number plate had been torn off in the shunt.

He immediately phoned the police to let them know what had happened.

He denied that Mr Aleshe had been dragged along on the front of his car.

Defence lawyer Maurice Aston alleged that Mr Aleshe had exaggerated his
injuries and his supposed financial losses.

"His inflated claims are designed to improve his chances of getting
money from Dr Howard. That is the harsh reality of it", he said.

Dr Howard will reappear on April 15 for sentence and has been granted
bail.

12:45pm Thursday 13th March 2008
--
___________________________
Christopher Webber, Blackheath, London, UK.

grobbe...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2008, 11:04:56 PM3/14/08
On Mar 14, 5:34 pm, Christopher Webber <zarzu...@zarzuela.net.invalid>
wrote:

The most outrageous part of this story is that of Howard's defense:
"But Judge, that wasn't me that was driving the car, it was Joyce
Hatto."

Sacqueboutier

Mar 15, 2008, 6:20:25 AM3/15/08

Was that really Tom Deacon riding the bonnet?

Kindest regards,
Don

Neil

Mar 15, 2008, 8:13:18 AM3/15/08
On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 06:20:25 -0400, Sacqueboutier
<Nos...@somewhere.net> wrote:

>Was that really Tom Deacon riding the bonnet?

Alas not.

Rugby

Mar 15, 2008, 9:53:33 AM3/15/08
On Mar 15, 7:13 am, Neil <n...@thump.org> wrote:

With personal injuries caused, and a defense the jury found not
credible,thus not likely to impress a Judge either, Howard would do
jail time in most US jurisdictions. Claimed he thought the matter was
over so he just drove off ?

Rugby

Matthew B. Tepper

Mar 15, 2008, 11:05:37 AM3/15/08
An extremely unfortunate matter, and I can only be glad that the injured
party was only injured, not killed.

But speaking of people in the classical music world facing prosecution, what
of William Barrington-Crook? Will he never have to stand in the dock for his
fraudulent activities?

War is Peace. ** Freedom is Slavery. ** It's all Napster's fault!

Matthew B. Tepper

Mar 15, 2008, 11:05:37 AM3/15/08
Rugby <steve...@gmail.com> appears to have caused the following letters to
be typed in news:5758adde-4892-4de7-bf71-
35ef87...@v3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

> With personal injuries caused, and a defense the jury found not credible,
> thus not likely to impress a Judge either, Howard would do jail time in
> most US jurisdictions.

Unless he were a rock musician, a movie star, or a professional athlete.

EM

Mar 15, 2008, 10:53:16 PM3/15/08
Christopher Webber <zarz...@zarzuela.net.invalid> - Fri, 14 Mar 2008
23:34:09 +0000:

> The Australian-born genius,

Why do British journalists call everyone who can count to three, play
a few chords or kick a ball across a soccer pitch a genius?

EM

Matthew B. Tepper

Mar 16, 2008, 12:35:22 AM3/16/08
EM <emmemmme...@gnail.com> appears to have caused the following letters
to be typed in news:47dc8b9c$0$24394$5fc...@news.tiscali.nl:

Envy.

bearti...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2008, 1:19:32 AM3/16/08
On Mar 15, 8:05 am, "Matthew B. Tepper" <oyþ@earthlink.net> wrote:
> An extremely unfortunate matter, and I can only be glad that the injured
> party was only injured, not killed.
>
> But speaking of people in the classical music world facing prosecution, what
> of William Barrington-Crook? Will he never have to stand in the dock for his
> fraudulent activities?

There you have the bankrupt morality of the tepperpotamus. Near-
manslaughter: an "unfortunate matter". Spamming rmcr, exaggerating
rareness of recordings on eBay, engaging cross-over acts on Sony
Classical, passing off pianist X's recording for your wife's own:
abominable crimes, all. Great perspective there, pedo.

> Matthew B. Tepper: WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!

> My personal home page --http://[snip]
> My main music page ---http://[snip]

Richard Schultz

Mar 16, 2008, 1:38:04 AM3/16/08
In article <47dc8b9c$0$24394$5fc...@news.tiscali.nl>, EM <emmemmme...@gnail.com> wrote:
: Christopher Webber <zarz...@zarzuela.net.invalid> - Fri, 14 Mar 2008
: 23:34:09 +0000:

As far as British journalists are concerned, any Australian who can count
to three *is* a genius, at least in comparison to the average Australian.

-----
Richard Schultz sch...@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"an optimist is a guy/ that has never had/ much experience"

Andrew Clarke

Mar 16, 2008, 7:02:16 AM3/16/08
On Mar 16, 4:38 pm, schu...@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) wrote:

> As far as British journalists are concerned, any Australian who can count
> to three *is* a genius, at least in comparison to the average Australian.

... and if you think the Poms go crook on Aussies you should hear New
Zealanders. Even though most of 'em live in Sydney.

BTW

(a) 'This is Local London' is not, I imagine, renowned for the highest
standards of journalism
(b) the Order of Australia is awarded, after much local consultation,
on the recommendation of the Australian government. HM the Q had
nothing much to do with it, except possibly to present it.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

William Sommerwerck

Mar 16, 2008, 7:32:31 AM3/16/08
How can he be jailed? He's been dead for at least 50 years.

John Bryant

Mar 16, 2008, 7:40:40 AM3/16/08
On Mar 16, 11:32 am, "William Sommerwerck"

<grizzledgee...@comcast.net> wrote:
> How can he be jailed? He's been dead for at least 50 years.

Which might explain his bad driving.

JohnGavin

Mar 16, 2008, 7:51:59 AM3/16/08

Or his fairly recent recordings.

mpe...@comcast.net

Mar 16, 2008, 7:55:11 AM3/16/08
On Mar 14, 7:34 pm, Christopher Webber <zarzu...@zarzuela.net.invalid>
wrote:

>  From This Is Local London:
> "Man clung on to bonnet of pianist's car"
> By Court reporter
>
> A world famous concert pianist left Croydon Crown Court in tears
> yesterday after he was found guilty of injuring a motorist who had clung
> on to the bonnet of his car in a road accident.
>
> Dr Leslie Howard, 59, who was awarded the Order of Australia by the
> Queen in 1999 for service to the arts, had denied a charge of causing
> actual bodily harm but was found guilty by the jury.
>
> The Australian-born genius, from Norbury Crescent, Norbury, was alleged
> to have driven his Mercedes through Norbury after the accident with a
> man holding precariously on to the bonnet.
>
> He was involved in a collision with a Toyota Yaris, driven by Titilayo
> Aleshe, 40, on January 18 last year at the junction of Green Lane and
> Kensington Avenue, Norbury.

Add this latest incident to the Liszt.

Marc Perman

John Bryant

Mar 16, 2008, 8:02:04 AM3/16/08

Probably took the indication 'grave' too literally.

Message has been deleted

Russ and/or Martha Oppenheim

Mar 16, 2008, 12:33:04 PM3/16/08

"William Sommerwerck" <grizzle...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> How can he be jailed? He's been dead for at least 50 years.

Are you thinking of Leslie Heward, the conductor killed in a plane crash ?

Russ (not Martha)

Bob Harper

Mar 16, 2008, 1:13:23 PM3/16/08
No, the actor, whose plane was shot down by the Germans during a flight
from Lisbon to London on June 1, 1943. Leslie Heward, the conductor,
also died in 1943, but of illness, IIRC.

Bob Harper

Dontait...@aol.com

Mar 16, 2008, 4:54:45 PM3/16/08
On Mar 16, 12:13�pm, Bob Harper <bob.har...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Russ and/or Martha Oppenheim wrote:> "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> >> How can he be jailed? He's been dead for at least 50 years.
>
> > Are you thinking of Leslie Heward, the conductor killed in a plane crash ?
>
> > Russ (not Martha)
>
> No, the actor, whose plane was shot down by the Germans during a flight
> from Lisbon to London on June 1, 1943. Leslie Heward, the conductor,
> also died in 1943, but of illness, IIRC.
>
> Bob Harper

I read somewhere (can't remember where -- I apologise) that the
Germans might have thought that Winston Churchill was on that plane
rather than the actor, Leslie Howard. Thus why they shot it down.

Don Tait

John Bryant

Mar 16, 2008, 6:16:03 PM3/16/08
On Mar 16, 8:54 pm, Dontaitchic...@aol.com wrote:

>   I read somewhere (can't remember where -- I apologise) that the
> Germans might have thought that Winston Churchill was on that plane
> rather than the actor, Leslie Howard. Thus why they shot it down.
>
>   Don Tait

Yes, you're right. You can read the story here.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Howard_(actor)

ckho...@ckhowell.com

Mar 17, 2008, 4:07:43 PM3/17/08
> But speaking of people in the classical music world facing prosecution, what
> of William Barrington-Crook?  Will he never have to stand in the dock for his
> fraudulent activities?

I understand that the April Gramophone (which hasn't yet hit the Milan
newsagents) has a brief note that WBC has made a further "confession"
to the BPI which now considers the matter closed. I don't think his
"confessions" are publicly available. I saw parts of the previous one
and it was diversive balderdash.

All this is very comforting for those like myself who are busy
preparing an own label with which to issue my very great performances
of a wider repertoire even than Hatto's, with maybe the odd Fiorentino
(how about having him play Hindemith or Messaien?) thrown in.

Chris Howell

Bob Lombard

Mar 17, 2008, 4:28:34 PM3/17/08

Aside - I'm just now rereading Fred Pohl's "The Homegoing", which
mentions The actor LH's starring role in "The Scarlet Pimpernel".
Quite a coincidence.

Returning to topic - I'm considering creating a label which will issue
mostly orchestral music, featuring a series of Pro Musica orchestras
(the Rutland Pro Musica, Brattleboro Pro Musica, Springfield Pro
Musica) conducted by Omar Haftrakhian. But wait... I think that may
have been done.

bl

Matthew B. Tepper

Mar 17, 2008, 7:50:32 PM3/17/08
ckho...@ckhowell.com appears to have caused the following letters to be
typed in

>> But speaking of people in the classical music world facing prosecution,
>> what of William Barrington-Crook?  Will he never have to stand in the
>> dock for his fraudulent activities?
>
> I understand that the April Gramophone (which hasn't yet hit the Milan
> newsagents) has a brief note that WBC has made a further "confession"
> to the BPI which now considers the matter closed. I don't think his
> "confessions" are publicly available. I saw parts of the previous one
> and it was diversive balderdash.

Bah!

> All this is very comforting for those like myself who are busy
> preparing an own label with which to issue my very great performances
> of a wider repertoire even than Hatto's, with maybe the odd Fiorentino
> (how about having him play Hindemith or Messaien?) thrown in.

*chuckle*

Matthew B. Tepper

Mar 17, 2008, 7:50:32 PM3/17/08
Bob Lombard <thorste...@vermontel.net> appears to have caused the

> ckho...@ckhowell.com wrote:
>>> But speaking of people in the classical music world facing
>>> prosecution, what of William Barrington-Crook? Will he never have to
>>> stand in the dock for his fraudulent activities?
>>
>> I understand that the April Gramophone (which hasn't yet hit the Milan
>> newsagents) has a brief note that WBC has made a further "confession"
>> to the BPI which now considers the matter closed. I don't think his
>> "confessions" are publicly available. I saw parts of the previous one
>> and it was diversive balderdash.
>>
>> All this is very comforting for those like myself who are busy
>> preparing an own label with which to issue my very great performances
>> of a wider repertoire even than Hatto's, with maybe the odd Fiorentino
>> (how about having him play Hindemith or Messaien?) thrown in.
>>
>> Chris Howell
>
> Aside - I'm just now rereading Fred Pohl's "The Homegoing", which
> mentions The actor LH's starring role in "The Scarlet Pimpernel".
> Quite a coincidence.

I bet I can name one Fred Pohl book you won't like: _Practical Politics
1972_.

> Returning to topic - I'm considering creating a label which will issue
> mostly orchestral music, featuring a series of Pro Musica orchestras
> (the Rutland Pro Musica, Brattleboro Pro Musica, Springfield Pro
> Musica) conducted by Omar Haftrakhian. But wait... I think that may
> have been done.

I'm readying a series of recordings conducted by Hiram W. Beepgladeep.

Bob Lombard

Mar 17, 2008, 11:23:56 PM3/17/08
Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
> Bob Lombard <thorste...@vermontel.net> appears to have caused the
> following letters to be typed in
>
>> Aside - I'm just now rereading Fred Pohl's "The Homegoing", which
>> mentions The actor LH's starring role in "The Scarlet Pimpernel".
>> Quite a coincidence.
>
> I bet I can name one Fred Pohl book you won't like: _Practical Politics
> 1972_.

The Homegoing contains the famous 'pithing' prose vignette.

>> Returning to topic - I'm considering creating a label which will issue
>> mostly orchestral music, featuring a series of Pro Musica orchestras
>> (the Rutland Pro Musica, Brattleboro Pro Musica, Springfield Pro
>> Musica) conducted by Omar Haftrakhian. But wait... I think that may
>> have been done.
>
> I'm readying a series of recordings conducted by Hiram W. Beepgladeep.

Good luck with that. I think my venture is better disguised.

bl

Walter Traprock

Mar 18, 2008, 2:38:36 AM3/18/08
ckho...@ckhowell.com wrote:

> > But speaking of people in the classical music world facing prosecution,
> > what
> > of William Barrington-Crook?  Will he never have to stand in the dock for
> > his
> > fraudulent activities?
>
> I understand that the April Gramophone (which hasn't yet hit the Milan
> newsagents) has a brief note that WBC has made a further "confession"
> to the BPI which now considers the matter closed. I don't think his
> "confessions" are publicly available. I saw parts of the previous one
> and it was diversive balderdash.

Gee, did someone use their "pull" with the BPI/RIAA/Police to order a
stop to the investigation? a similar story really happened in the USA:

http://www.amazon.com/Stiffed-Story-Music-Business-Mafia/dp/0060167459/

to read a sad true story where the bad guys win. Was the "soul" of
Morris Levy inherited?

--
"You got a nice base here, Colonel, I wouldn't want anything to
*happen* to it..."

Steve de Mena

Mar 18, 2008, 5:11:26 AM3/18/08
Walter Traprock wrote:
> ckho...@ckhowell.com wrote:
>
>>> But speaking of people in the classical music world facing prosecution,
>>> what
>>> of William Barrington-Crook? Will he never have to stand in the dock for
>>> his
>>> fraudulent activities?
>> I understand that the April Gramophone (which hasn't yet hit the Milan
>> newsagents) has a brief note that WBC has made a further "confession"
>> to the BPI which now considers the matter closed. I don't think his
>> "confessions" are publicly available. I saw parts of the previous one
>> and it was diversive balderdash.
>
> Gee, did someone use their "pull" with the BPI/RIAA/Police to order a
> stop to the investigation? a similar story really happened in the USA:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Stiffed-Story-Music-Business-Mafia/dp/0060167459/
>
> to read a sad true story where the bad guys win.

Didn't I see that book on Matthew's "Top 10 Books of All Time" list?

He carries a dog-eared paperback copy with him at all times just so he
can remind himself at any time how "evil" the "majors" are.

Steve

Matthew B. Tepper

Mar 18, 2008, 10:29:19 AM3/18/08
Steve de Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:Oo2dnYb0J-zcGkLa...@giganews.com:

Thanks, added to my Wishlist.

It's not for nothing that MCA had been called "Mob Corporation of America"
for many years.

Matthew B. Tepper

Mar 18, 2008, 10:36:16 AM3/18/08
Steve de Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:Oo2dnYb0J-zcGkLa...@giganews.com:

> Walter Traprock wrote:
>>
>> Gee, did someone use their "pull" with the BPI/RIAA/Police to order a
>> stop to the investigation? a similar story really happened in the USA:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Stiffed-Story-Music-Business-Mafia/dp/0060167459/
>>
>> to read a sad true story where the bad guys win.
>
> Didn't I see that book on Matthew's "Top 10 Books of All Time" list?
>
> He carries a dog-eared paperback copy with him at all times just so he
> can remind himself at any time how "evil" the "majors" are.

Oh, and as for Barrington-Crook, I imagine he did his "boo hoo, oh I am just
a sick old widower with not much time to live, weep wail" schtick yet again
and the dummies just fell for it. Or maybe they admired his ability to
squeeze money out of the public by dishonest means?

mark_str...@yahoo.co.uk

May 7, 2008, 6:07:55 AM5/7/08

going back to original topic - LH got 3 year driving ban, £1400 costs,
80 hours community service and a suspended sentence.

ms

JohnGavin

May 7, 2008, 7:59:03 AM5/7/08

He could perform the complete works of Liszt at a prison. That would
cover the 80 hours.

mark_str...@yahoo.co.uk

May 7, 2008, 9:54:57 AM5/7/08

Howard's defence said "A great deal of his work is overseas, and the
American authorities would now be entitled to deny him entrance to the
United States."

Is US immigration really that dramatic ? Some road rage disallowing
him a visa ?

ms

JohnGavin

May 7, 2008, 9:57:13 AM5/7/08

America likes Brits. If he were Mexican, he wouldn't stand a chance.

Matthew B. Tepper

May 7, 2008, 10:37:49 AM5/7/08
mark_str...@yahoo.co.uk appears to have caused the following letters to
be typed in news:f4ac7f5e-09ec-4a9e-b273-
7c7583...@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Not just "road rage" like Jack Nicholson whacking a windshield with his golf
club. Somebody was injurned.