One more question on Hatto

Ian Pace

Feb 17, 2007, 5:10:54 AM2/17/07
Of all the people who specifically praised Joyce Hatto to the hilt, is there
a SINGLE ONE of them who actually heard her play live and might testify that
her recordings corresponded with what they heard?

(I know there will be people who did hear her live some time ago - but I'm
referring specifically to those who've been her greatest advocates in recent
times - as much in the press and music press as here)

Kirk McElhearn

Feb 17, 2007, 5:19:52 AM2/17/07

Since she hadn't performed live in decades (from what I've read) that
wouldn't be a valid test. Even if she were actually playing, she would
have changed her style since then.

Kirk
--
Read my blog, Kirkville
http://www.mcelhearn.com

Ian Pace

Feb 17, 2007, 5:20:29 AM2/17/07

"Kirk McElhearn" <kir...@gmail.com> wrote in message
But attained vastly superior pianist powers in her 70s, compared to before?
Would anyone have believed that?

Ian

Tony Overington

Feb 17, 2007, 5:28:13 AM2/17/07
On 17 Feb, 10:20, "Ian Pace" <i...@ianpace.com> wrote:
> But attained vastly superior pianist powers in her 70s, compared to before?
> Would anyone have believed that?
>
> Ian

But how many of the Hatto fans actually heard her old--and presumably
genuine--recordings anyway? Hardly any probably. Ernst Lumpe knew
them--and has in the past day or two claimed that they are genuine--
and was still deceived by the new Hatto. It's simply a case of hearing
is believing, that's all.

Of course in retrospect it all seems frightfully funny and surreal.

Kirk McElhearn

Feb 17, 2007, 5:28:41 AM2/17/07
On 2007-02-17 11:20:29 +0100, "Ian Pace" <i...@ianpace.com> said:

>>> Of all the people who specifically praised Joyce Hatto to the hilt, is
>>> there a SINGLE ONE of them who actually heard her play live and might
>>> testify that her recordings corresponded with what they heard?
>>>
>>> (I know there will be people who did hear her live some time ago - but
>>> I'm referring specifically to those who've been her greatest advocates
>>> in recent times - as much in the press and music press as here)
>>
>> Since she hadn't performed live in decades (from what I've read) that
>> wouldn't be a valid test. Even if she were actually playing, she would
>> have changed her style since then.
>>
> But attained vastly superior pianist powers in her 70s, compared to
> before? Would anyone have believed that?

Well, if she was home a lot, and not on tour, she would have had more
time to practice? Hey, Lance Armstrong became stronger after he had
cancer...

Gerard

Feb 17, 2007, 5:36:18 AM2/17/07
Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> Hey, Lance Armstrong became stronger after he had
> cancer...

You believe his recordings are "true"?

Message has been deleted

Paul Ilechko

Feb 17, 2007, 9:31:17 AM2/17/07
Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> Well, if she was home a lot, and not on tour, she would have had more
> time to practice? Hey, Lance Armstrong became stronger after he had
> cancer...

and of course no-one ever claimed that he did anything illegal ...

abac...@att.net

Feb 17, 2007, 2:58:30 PM2/17/07

did he really win all those races after his cancer:-))
AB

tomdeacon

Feb 17, 2007, 3:08:39 PM2/17/07

Nobody has heard her live in ages, Ian, as she didn't play in public.

I have just received a communication from a musician I know in
Winnipeg, Canada, who was living in the UK in the 1950s and 1960s.
He's an English music nut, and he heard Joyce Hatto play the Bax
orchestral piece. He claims it was staggeringly well played. She
really had one hell of a technique at that time.

And her public recitals in London are a fact of history. There must be
reviews of some, if not all, of those concerts. Critics who heard her
play and often.

As for her fans here and elsewhere, we were going solely on the
recordings presented as hers. Nothing else to go on, of course.

TD

makropulos

Feb 17, 2007, 4:11:51 PM2/17/07

OK - well, here are those facts of history, as you call there. These
are all the Hatto Concert listings from The Musical Times. As anyone
who has used these listings before will know, they are usually quite
comprehensive and reliable in terms of which events took place when
(though they don't sadly give programmes for piano recitals). Thus
what emerges is a rather odd profile - a total of 13 solo concerts
(all between 1971 and 1976, two concerto appearances (the first two
events listed, in 1955 and 1959) and several concerts by "The Pupils
of Joyce Hatto", which I've just put in for the sake of completeness,
all between 1968 and 1970.

15 September 1955, Wigmore Hall. Review: "The programme included two
new works for piano and orchestra, an Introduction and Allegro by
Michael Maxwell and the Third Piano Conceto (op.71) of Gaze Cooper, in
both of which the soloist was Joyce Hatto."

9 December 1958, Morley College Symphony Orchestra, conducted by
Malcolm Arnold. Review: "An attractive piano concerto movement which
is attributed to Beethoven was competently played by Joyce Hatto, who
also did everything that could be done for Liszt's Totentanz."

3 March 1968, Purcell Room, 'JOYCE HATTO PUPILS' CONCERT'

20 October 1968, Purcell Room, 'JOYCE HATTO PUPILS' CONCERT'

24 November 1968, Purcell Room, 'JOYCE HATTO PUPILS' CONCERT'

13 April 1969, Purcell Room, 'JOYCE HATTO PUPILS' CONCERT', Mozart,
Bach, Beethoven, Schumann, Satie, Alabiev/Liszt, Liszt

8 June 1969, Purcell Room, 'JOYCE HATTO PUPILS' CONCERT

7 December 1969, Purcell Room, 'PUPILS OF JOYCE HATTO', works by
Chopin

22 February 1970, Purcell Room, 'PUPILS OF JOYCE HATTO', Lizst,
Bellini, Beethoven

21 October 1971, Queen Elizabeth Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Chopin

3 June 1972, Wigmore Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Liszt

26 October 1972, Wigmore Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Liszt

11 January 1973, Queen Elizabeth Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Chopin

28 June 1973, Wigmore Hall, JOYCE HATTO, 'The Unknown Chopin'

25 October 1973, Wigmore Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Liszt

10 January 1974, Queen Elizabeth Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Liszt

27 March 1975, Queen Elizabeth Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Chopin (at least one
work claimed as a first performance in London)

4 September 1975, Wigmore Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Rubinstein/Liszt, Saint-
Saëns/Liszt, Liszt

2 October 1975, Wigmore Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Beethoven/Liszt

19 December 1975, Wigmore Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Liszt

26 Feb 1976, Queen Elizabeth Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Gluck/Alkan, Mozart,
Schubert, Schumann, Chopin, Verdi/Liszt

7 July 1976, Wigmore Hall, JOYCE HATTO, Beethoven/Alkan, Beethoven/
Liszt

her...@yahoo.com

Feb 17, 2007, 5:20:54 PM2/17/07
tomdeacon wrote:
> She
> really had one hell of a technique at that time.

Why don't you let me help you.

What you want to say is, you have talked to a guy who heard Hatto
playing fifty years ago, and this guy says he thought her technique
was good.

I think it would be a good idea to stop using the word "really" for
starters.

> And her public recitals in London are a fact of history.

Mmm, mmm. I'm sure she played those recitals. And then she
disappeared.

Is that a sign of success or what?

And please spare us that silly pathetic crap about her disappearing IN
SPITE of her huge talents.

Herman