Lynn Rene Bayley gone from Fanfare

David Royko

Nov 24, 2009, 3:16:13 PM11/24/09
Joel Flegler mentioned it in the current issue's Letters section.
Count me as glad about it. She's the only reviewer that I've disliked
(and there have been plenty) in the 30+ years I've read Fanfare where,
if I saw that she wrote the review, no matter what it was, I'd almost
always skip it. In fact, of the half-dozen or so letters I've written
to Fanfare through the years (all I think published--does Fanfare ever
NOT publish a letter?), the one about her was the first I'd ever
written bashing something a reviewer wrote. Maybe I'm just becoming a
crotchety old man (at 50), but she seemed to be the worst of the
"shoot from the hip" reviewers. I have no doubt she had her fans, and
it's very possible she's nice to know in person, but good riddance.

Dave Royko
http://www.davidroyko.com is Dave Royko's site for info about:
My book "Voices of Children of Divorce" (St. Martin's Press);
Some of my music reviews & features (Chgo Trib and elsewhere);
Our Ben stories (Autism); The CSO "From The Archives" index;
The Mike Royko letters ("Royko In Love"); and plenty of Etc.

Dontait...@aol.com

Nov 24, 2009, 3:52:10 PM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 2:16�pm, David Royko <davidro...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Joel Flegler mentioned it in the current issue's Letters section.
> Count me as glad about it. She's the only reviewer that I've disliked
> (and there have been plenty) in the 30+ years I've read Fanfare where,
> if I saw that she wrote the review, no matter what it was, I'd almost
> always skip it. In fact, of the half-dozen or so letters I've written
> to Fanfare through the years (all I think published--does Fanfare ever
> NOT publish a letter?), the one about her was the first I'd ever
> written bashing something a reviewer wrote. Maybe I'm just becoming a
> crotchety old man (at 50), but she seemed to be the worst of the
> "shoot from the hip" reviewers. I have no doubt she had her fans, and
> it's very possible she's nice to know in person, but good riddance.

I couldn't agree more, frankly. A lot of terms come to mind when I
think of my negative reactions to her reviews, but her review of the
Pristine Audio CD of Mengelberg's Mahler 4th encapsulated the foolish
naivete, even fraud, that seemed to infuse them. I wrote about it here
last year (perhaps). To recapitulate briefly, she began her review by
writing that she'd always heard about Mengelberg's Mahler 4, but had
never heard the recording or performance before the Pristine CD. She
then went into verbose raptures about the symphony and performance.
Fine. But at the end of the immensely long review, she not only went
into raptures about the sound of the Pristine CD, but stated how it
was superior to all previous releases. She even listed the sonic
reasons why it was. But she'd said at the beginning of the review that
she'd never heard any of the previous releases. One wonders where
she'd read why and how superior the Pristine transfer was, of course.

I knew then that Ms Bayley was a sad, even foolish excuse for a
reviewer with any qualifications. Good riddance from me, too.

Don Tait

ansermetniac

Nov 24, 2009, 5:17:54 PM11/24/09

her posts in the Yahoo Toscanini group shows her to be a total phony.
I guess 2 bucks per review doesn't buy what it used to

Abbedd

ansermetniac

Nov 24, 2009, 5:23:56 PM11/24/09
SoOn Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:52:10 -0800 (PST), Dontait...@aol.com
wrote:

So where is the editor?

Abbedd

td

Nov 24, 2009, 5:33:46 PM11/24/09

I am totaly shocked, Don.

Out of your own mouth(pen) negative words about another human being.

Are you sure you don't want to delete this, Don?

TD

catman

Nov 24, 2009, 6:12:04 PM11/24/09
> TD- Hide quoted text -

still, a refreshing change from the usual tedious Vroon bashing...

Dontait...@aol.com

Nov 24, 2009, 6:20:50 PM11/24/09

No.

Don Tait

Bob Harper

Nov 24, 2009, 6:22:44 PM11/24/09
Given that the negative words were about the lady's work *as a
reviewer*, there's no reason to be shocked. Don's objection was to the
poor quality of her reviewing, not to her person. I realize it's
difficult some days for you to make that distinction, but it's a real one.

Bob Harper

Dontait...@aol.com

Nov 24, 2009, 6:24:16 PM11/24/09

To state it better, yes, I'm sure.

Don Tait

Heck51

Nov 24, 2009, 6:37:49 PM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 3:16 pm, David Royko <davidro...@yahoo.com> wrote: I have

no doubt she had her fans, and
> it's very possible she's nice to know in person, but good riddance.

I agree. I read a few of her reviews and was very negatively
impressed.

td

Nov 24, 2009, 8:35:25 PM11/24/09

Don usually prefers to remain silent rather than to spew negative
comments.

Perhaps you didn't notice this nice distinction, Bob, as you are so
accustomed to the practise yourself.

TD

td

Nov 24, 2009, 8:35:54 PM11/24/09

They all have feet of clay.

I am totally shattered.

TD

td

Nov 24, 2009, 8:43:08 PM11/24/09

Why should you be "impressed" with a review in the first place? Either
she made her points or she didn't. Either you accepted those points or
you didn't. Neither really matters all that much, I would say, in the
scheme of things today. Most reviews are entirely dispensible, whether
or not one agrees or disagrees. Moreover, usually the disagreement
comes without even having the experience of the thing being reviewed,
a new book or CD, for example.

Fanfare is almost a complete waste of time, and of Canadian paper, I
think. Very few reviewers in that publication have any stature in the
music community. Covers and articles are bought and sold like chewing
gum. The writers are paid pennies. The editor doesn't bother to edit.
And so on. It is, indeed, a joke. That this woman did or didn't please
you or anyone else is neither here nor there.

What disturbs me more is that this woman, Lynn Rene Bayley, has
elicited the first negative comments from Don Tait, a man who I
thought stood above the fray, out of the mud-slinging that passes for
commentary in much of this forum.

As I said, I am totally shattered. But certainly not by Mlle Bayley,
who is just a reviewer anyway.

TD

William Sommerwerck

Nov 24, 2009, 8:50:20 PM11/24/09
> What disturbs me more is that this woman, Lynn Rene Bayley,
> has elicited the first negative comments from Don Tait, a man
> who I thought stood above the fray, out of the mud-slinging that
> passes for commentary in much of this forum.

And how is your all-too-common dismissal of other peoples' opinions
different?

Bob Lombard

Nov 24, 2009, 9:28:00 PM11/24/09

In their frequency? BTW shouldn't that be "a man 'whom'"?

bl

td

Nov 24, 2009, 9:32:29 PM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 8:50 pm, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net>
wrote:

No different at all.

My comments are utterly dispensible, Bob. You should know that. LIfe
is too short to take anyone's opinions seriously but one's own.

TD

td

Nov 24, 2009, 9:33:48 PM11/24/09

Sorry, that's Bill, not Bob.

TD

td

Nov 24, 2009, 9:34:47 PM11/24/09

How can "whom" be the subject of "stood above the fray".

An object as subject?

TD

Bob Lombard

Nov 24, 2009, 9:39:27 PM11/24/09

You're right; I was distracted by the 'I thought'. (Inference not
intended.)

bl

Bob Harper

Nov 25, 2009, 12:21:53 AM11/25/09
td wrote:
> On Nov 24, 6:22 pm, Bob Harper <bob.har...@comcast.net> wrote:
(snip)

> Don usually prefers to remain silent rather than to spew negative
> comments.
>
> Perhaps you didn't notice this nice distinction, Bob, as you are so
> accustomed to the practise yourself.
>
> TD

Lacks your usual clarity, Tom. I always try to be a gentleman, even as I
offer gentle correction.

Bob Harper

Handel8

Nov 25, 2009, 4:27:06 AM11/25/09

>   I couldn't agree more, frankly. A lot of terms come to mind when I
> think of my negative reactions to her reviews, but her review of the
> Pristine Audio CD of Mengelberg's Mahler 4th encapsulated the foolish
> naivete, even fraud, that seemed to infuse them. I wrote about it here
> last year (perhaps). To recapitulate briefly, she began her review by
> writing that she'd always heard about Mengelberg's Mahler 4, but had
> never heard the recording or performance before the Pristine CD. She
> then went into verbose raptures about the symphony and performance.
> Fine. But at the end of the immensely long review, she not only went
> into raptures about the sound of the Pristine CD, but stated how it
> was superior to all previous releases. She even listed the sonic
> reasons why it was. But she'd said at the beginning of the review that
> she'd never heard any of the previous releases. One wonders where
> she'd read why and how superior the Pristine transfer was, of course.
>
>   I knew then that Ms Bayley was a sad, even foolish excuse for a
> reviewer with any qualifications. Good riddance from me, too.
>
>   Don Tait

I agree also. I recall a review she wrote of some large Handel work
or other where she referred to one of the oratorios, I think Semele,
as an opera ! She seemed totally out of her expertise in this area
of classical music. From another review, she wrote about seeing
someone in concert way back in the 50s or 60s or something like that.
I inferred from that that she is must be in her late 50s or older, but
who knows, maybe she made up that story also.

Alan Prichard

td

Nov 25, 2009, 5:05:56 AM11/25/09

The path to Hell is paved with good intentions, Bob. Sorry to
disillusion you.

TD

Bob Harper

Nov 25, 2009, 8:32:26 AM11/25/09
I'm still puzzled, Tom, but it's nice to know that you have my welfare
in mind :)

Bob Harper

td

Nov 25, 2009, 8:47:55 AM11/25/09

Always, Bob. And you?

TD

Matthew�B.�Tepper

Nov 25, 2009, 10:40:45 AM11/25/09
Handel8 <ala...@nycap.rr.com> appears to have caused the following letters to
be typed in news:533218a4-7bec-44e5-831d-
d9a261...@b2g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

> I agree also. I recall a review she wrote of some large Handel work or
> other where she referred to one of the oratorios, I think Semele, as an

> opera! She seemed totally out of her expertise in this area of classical

> music. From another review, she wrote about seeing someone in concert way
> back in the 50s or 60s or something like that. I inferred from that that
> she is must be in her late 50s or older, but who knows, maybe she made up
> that story also.

She doesn't live on the Isle of Man, by any chance...?

Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers

MiNe 109

Nov 25, 2009, 11:23:54 AM11/25/09
In article <Xns9CCE4E26158...@216.168.3.30>,

"Matthew�B.�Tepper" <oy�@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Handel8 <ala...@nycap.rr.com> appears to have caused the following letters to
> be typed in news:533218a4-7bec-44e5-831d-
> d9a261...@b2g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I agree also. I recall a review she wrote of some large Handel work or
> > other where she referred to one of the oratorios, I think Semele, as an
> > opera! She seemed totally out of her expertise in this area of classical
> > music. From another review, she wrote about seeing someone in concert way
> > back in the 50s or 60s or something like that. I inferred from that that
> > she is must be in her late 50s or older, but who knows, maybe she made up
> > that story also.
>
> She doesn't live on the Isle of Man, by any chance...?

People were confusing her with popster Corinne Bailey Rae.

Stephen

Bob Harper

Nov 25, 2009, 1:38:16 PM11/25/09
I wish you nothing but your good.

Bob Harper

Allen

Nov 25, 2009, 2:45:53 PM11/25/09
I dropped my subscription when the price went up to $50 per year for a
skyrocketing number of words from reviewer wannabes, braggarts,
nitpickers etc which I'm sure increased their costs. However, nothing
that she wrote impressed me before I backed out.
Allen

Kip Williams

Nov 25, 2009, 7:19:42 PM11/25/09
Matthew B. Tepper wrote:

> She doesn't live on the Isle of Man, by any chance...?

In the 60s, Ralph Bakshi had a crappy cartoon series called 'The Mighty
Heroes," complete with unfunny writing, weak animation, and about a
minute of shtick where they change into costume that was used in every
single show. The characters were something like Cuckoo Man, Hurricane
Man, Diaper Man, Rope Man, and one other. A complete and utter waste of
time.

But it all became worthwhile when they made a guest appearance on
Bakshi's "Mighty Mouse" TV revival just for the sake of their having a
CPA firm called "Man, Man, Man, Man, and Man."

Not that this would induce me to watch their old cartoons again, of course.

Kip W

Matthew�B.�Tepper

Nov 25, 2009, 7:49:19 PM11/25/09
Kip Williams <k...@rochester.rr.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:zQjPm.32675$cd7....@newsfe04.iad:

The "Ralph Bakshi" revival of "Mighty Mouse" was largely the brainchild of
John Kricfalusi, a/k/a John K., who is also known as the mad genius behind
"Ren and Stimpy." I was once introduced to him at Coral Caf� in Burbank,
where he and a bunch of Warner Bros. regulars occasionally hang out.

Message has been deleted

Kip Williams

Nov 25, 2009, 8:12:42 PM11/25/09
Matthew B. Tepper wrote:

> The "Ralph Bakshi" revival of "Mighty Mouse" was largely the brainchild of
> John Kricfalusi, a/k/a John K., who is also known as the mad genius behind
> "Ren and Stimpy." I was once introduced to him at Coral Caf� in Burbank,
> where he and a bunch of Warner Bros. regulars occasionally hang out.

Well, yes, but Ralph's name was officially on it. He even directed some
individual cartoons, just to prove that he was still wretched.
Kricfalusi's work on the Beany & Cecil revival was less impressive.

Oddly enough, my favorite cartoon in the series, indeed, one of my
favorite television cartoons period, was done the season after John K
left the show: "Don't Touch That Dial," directed by Kent Butterworth.
("Aw, this show has no Prosocial Values!")

Kip W

rae...@york.ac.uk

Sep 16, 2017, 6:03:13 PM9/16/17
On Tuesday, 24 November 2009 20:16:13 UTC, David Royko wrote:
> Joel Flegler mentioned it in the current issue's Letters section.
> Count me as glad about it. She's the only reviewer that I've disliked
> (and there have been plenty) in the 30+ years I've read Fanfare where,
> if I saw that she wrote the review, no matter what it was, I'd almost
> always skip it. In fact, of the half-dozen or so letters I've written
> to Fanfare through the years (all I think published--does Fanfare ever
> NOT publish a letter?), the one about her was the first I'd ever
> written bashing something a reviewer wrote. Maybe I'm just becoming a
> crotchety old man (at 50), but she seemed to be the worst of the
> "shoot from the hip" reviewers. I have no doubt she had her fans, and
> it's very possible she's nice to know in person, but good riddance.
>
> Dave Royko
> http://www.davidroyko.com is Dave Royko's site for info about:
> My book "Voices of Children of Divorce" (St. Martin's Press);
> Some of my music reviews & features (Chgo Trib and elsewhere);
> Our Ben stories (Autism); The CSO "From The Archives" index;
> The Mike Royko letters ("Royko In Love"); and plenty of Etc.

Ed Presson

Sep 16, 2017, 7:18:13 PM9/16/17

wrote in message
I think she may have been the only reviewer that I found obnoxious even when
I agreed with her.

Ed Presson