ArkivCD reissues Sony "Schwanda The Bagpiper"

Matthew B. Tepper

May 5, 2008, 10:50:43 AM5/5/08
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=151290

This is the long OOP recording with Hermann Prey, Lucia Popp, Siegfried
Jerusalem, Gwendolyn Killebrew, and Siegmund Nimsgern. The Naxos issue may
be uncut and in the right language, but this is a much better performance.

The page says "This CD is reissued by ArkivMusic and includes liner notes."
Whether those "liner notes" include the full multi-language libretto from the
original CD issue, I don't know. I would hope it does, because a synopsis
just won't do. Jeremy?

War is Peace. ** Freedom is Slavery. ** It's all Napster's fault!

Jon Alan Conrad

May 5, 2008, 12:12:14 PM5/5/08
This one took me a while to track down used (I really do love this
recording). Eventually I did find it, and at not too bad a price, but
I'm glad it's being made available again. Perhaps it can occupy a less
bulky box than the early-CD-era one-size-fits-all from Sony. (But I
agree, the libretto is still needed.)

As conductor Heinz Wallberg said in the original liner notes, they did
intend to record it uncut, but discovered that Max Brod built the cuts
into the parts that go with his German version, and there wasn't time
or a budget to undo all that.

JAC

number_six

May 5, 2008, 6:53:31 PM5/5/08
On May 5, 6:50 am, "Matthew B. Tepper" <oyþ@earthlink.net> wrote:
> http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=151290
>
> This is the long OOP recording with Hermann Prey, Lucia Popp, Siegfried
> Jerusalem, Gwendolyn Killebrew, and Siegmund Nimsgern.  The Naxos issue may
> be uncut and in the right language, but this is a much better performance.
> snip <

Ich bin der Schwanda!

I just always wanted to say that...

I haven't heard the one on Naxos, but the perf on Columbia is
terrific! It is hard for me to understand how Weinberger did not make
a bigger impact, but a lot of breaks went against him. Like Oakhurst
the gambler in Bret Harte's The Outcasts of Poker Flat (which
Weinberger apparently adapted), he hit a streak of bad luck. What a
glorious work by which to remember him is Schwanda, though.

Jeremy Meyers

May 10, 2008, 3:52:12 PM5/10/08
On Mon, 05 May 2008 09:50:43 -0500, "Matthew B. Tepper"
<oyþ@earthlink.net> wrote:

>http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=151290
>
>This is the long OOP recording with Hermann Prey, Lucia Popp, Siegfried
>Jerusalem, Gwendolyn Killebrew, and Siegmund Nimsgern. The Naxos issue may
>be uncut and in the right language, but this is a much better performance.
>
>The page says "This CD is reissued by ArkivMusic and includes liner notes."
>Whether those "liner notes" include the full multi-language libretto from the
>original CD issue, I don't know. I would hope it does, because a synopsis
>just won't do. Jeremy?

not 100% sure. Arkiv does get full access to both masters and
packaging when they reissue something of ours... you'd have to ask
them whether they reprinted the libretto, though i'd assume that they
did, as they're usually pretty good about such things.

Jeremy Meyers
Manager, Digital Sales and Editorial
SONY BMG Masterworks / SONY BMG Commercial Music Group
550 Madison Avenue #1622, NYC 10022
e: jeremy...@sonybmg.com